Ragnarok Online thread

Keep the game alive until Tree of Savior stops sucking.

Other urls found in this thread:

riseofmidgard.com/wiki/Server_Information
ratemyserver.net/
steamcommunity.com/groups/8vHeRo
ratemyserver.net/index.php?page=listserver&rate=all&order_type=default_high&page_num=1
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Never ever

I was actually just looking into this yesterday, but is there still no mod or workaround to make the game play with WASD? Seriously if RO just took the basic controls (wasd, jumping, an attack button) from TOS and discarded everything else I'd be down to play it again, but as it stands RO is a good game with old clunky controls and TOS is a shit game with decent controls for me.

I guess I don't have to stop playing any time soon.

is this loremaster?

I miss the Holla Forums clan

Good times.

You thought it was Acks, but it was me, Rolo!

I do too.

Kei here, whassup man. You still playing with the other guys on some server?

I think a few people splintered off to play ReBirth or some such new server after the issues with HeRO became too apparent (economyand post-summer schedules got in the way; I stuck around for the brief halloween get-together but I have no idea if anyone is still playing the server, or RO in general with anyone.

If a decent server ever reared its head then I'd be happy to give private servers another shot with you nerds.

Beastmaster here, miss playing with you guys. Though the bright side is that I completed my lewd harem.

RIP

Playing this on HeRO completely burned out what desire I had to play RO, and I'm pretty certain that I will never play it again. It was distracting, but I'm done.

I just really, really wanted to play a game that has gameplay of the likes of the Spirit Monk/Champion of Ragnarok Online. The idea of a monk who has focused so strongly on the spiritual side that his supernatural powers developed beyond physical strength is one thing that isn't really developed enough in game form

Ragnarok would be fine if only level 8x and beyond weren't so stupidly punishing for solo play

Well you'll always have us, Westr

You know it really sucks I never got to enjoy Ragnarok Online before it became dead and filled with bots. Can Ragnarok Online be revived?

What burned me out was the PvP battlegrounds. The idea that everyone purposefully throws games in order to grind reward points seemed to defeat the purpose of playing the game. That, and the horrible lag made it nearly impossible to fight properly against humans. Try to avoid something, input randomly drops for 5 seconds and you get instaraped, etc. I can only imagine how unplayable WoE would be.

The playerbase and economy was fucked, but that + the experience of grinding up a farming rogue completely killed my enthusiasm for the game. I decided to take a break for a few days and never logged back on. It's a shame, because I had a lot of fun questing with you guys and exploring the world (it was my first time playing RO).

I'd like to get into another MMO with you lads some day but modern ones don't appeal to me and most private servers are dead or dominated by autists that have been there for years. The best is a situation like Nostalrius, where a lot of people outside of Holla Forums get excited to start out on the launch of a fresh server. I think people were hoping ReBirth would be like that but AFAIK it never took off here or elsewhere.

I miss hanging out with you memelords

>tfw lost my heals for 1488 screenshot

I heard Rise of Midgard just rolled out and it has a billion tweaks that is promising (like the lag compensation script for skill casting) and apparently the grind never ends because each time you rebirth after the first, you get coins to exchange for cosmetics.
How about just play it again?

Is the loli pope (NPC) still in the game? Just wondering.

I don't know man, I just don't know anymore

Yeah

That doesn't sound miserable, got any more information on it?
I wouldn't mind something to play for a few hours every now and then since I'm a fulltime wagecuck now.

I'm not sure about post-renewal anymore, but it was there when we played HeRO.

Shooty here, sorry for being part of the battlegrounds cancer.

Well it seems kinda different somewhat.
Apparently, the dev of the server made a tweak to let player cast spells as fast as they can regardless of their latency, because allegedly normally you could spam skills faster if you had lower latency. I never knew if this was the case though.
Also there's party finder with /booking, there's double EXP daily in specific rotation of maps to make solo grinding less daunting, shared zeny wallet across the account, linking multiple account to share a single storage, they also changed the mobs spawn point across the board to make some maps more popular.
One thing I'm not sure about is the MVP cards being dropped at 0.2% and expires 30 days after slotting though.
Altogether it seems like this is a RO server with shitloads of modernization tweaks.
riseofmidgard.com/wiki/Server_Information

Pirone showing up.
Currently playing Ragnarok DS and running Ragnarok Clicker on the background of my PC.
Tried Ragnarok 2 to check what it's all about but it plays like too much shit, it's like Tree of Savior but without the fun controls and combat.

Also I don't know what the fuck this Doram business is

It's another thing they added to the game without fixing it's problems first.

Is it at least fun?

No idea.
They're also not playable in Ragnarok 2.
Instead they have Alters, exclusive to the Noel(little boy/girl) race wich apparently elves that became small in stature after they resorted to the Heart of Ymir's magic instead of Yggdrasil's since the later became corrupted after whatever happened between Ragnarok 1 and 2

Is there anything Gravity doesn't shit on anymore?

Hey Pirone. How's the normalfag life going ?

Hey guys. Glad to see so many of you have good memories of HeRO. Even thru the bad stuff we had fun together yeah?

I had planned on bringing the RO thread out of retirement at the start of summer as that seems to be a good time of year to play. But if enough of you want to hang out on HeRO for old times sake, feel free to let me know ether here or in the steam group (yes it still exists)

Good to see some old faces still around.

I'm the guy that never shut his trap about traps.
tfw not on any screenshots

Maybe if we wish hard enough, there will finally be a real good successor to RO.

You're in the screenshots of our memories.

But good isn't what people want. People want bad, but charming.

I'm still a bit salty that I never got my +7 Pilgrim hat back from Sonic the heh. It was like 1 of 20-30 on the server.

Oh well. Here is a screen shot of one of the first guild pictures.

It's the same as always.
I'm gonna go get some sleep tough, see you guys around.

Well I played both and didn't notice much difference. They're slow, laggy, poorly animated monster clickers that have their selling point - shitloads of classes behind insane grind wall.
Can someone explain how RO is better than TOS? And what's the appeal of these games in general?
Neither combat nor loot can compare to proper diablo clones, and mmo aspect seems non-existent, save for bots stealing your mobs.
I'm genuinely asking, since I dig aesthetics and art style of both games, but just can't get into gameplay and don't see any obvious differences between the two. I'm willing to give either another shot, but what kind of mindset should I have to enjoy horrible combat and 00s-tier lag behind everything?

For the same reason any old, yet terrible, game is still talked about years and years later despite being terrible: It did something unique that few or no games have tried since it, combined with multiplayer interactions that are free enough to allow for shenanigans.

For Ragnarok I'd only recommend playing private servers. the good ones will have low to no bots and be some what customized to not be cash grabs.

ratemyserver.net/ This has a pretty good link list for servers (as well as other great info) , you can search them based on exp rate and popularity.

Let me toss you a quote about the game that was posted months ago when asked about it. Might help you understand the mindset.

07/14/16 (Thu)
"The game has a level of open-endedness that only games like EVE can top, and this was further reinforced by constant updates of good content and a subtly enforced sense of community; players are also relevant to the game at all times, whether its to the economy through item/card drops, what content they can access,or community-driven matters.

We may urge people onto an easy fast track for leveling, but even amongst us being eager to share our veterancy, we all have varying ideas and strategies about how to play the game and progress, especially early on; and this is something that's even survived the era of forum/gamefaqs guides for literally everything.

Everything about the game, from its art to its music was solidly done and iconic; down to every last enemy and map in the game, which you could show to any RO player and they could tell you something unique about it; whether it's the weakness of the enemies there, the card the wandering boss of the area drops, the requirements to enter, or just the music.

To me, it's the Thief of MMORPGs; a game that's spectacular, only because it did things right, and it should've been surpassed far, far long ago."

Not sure if this is the kind of thing you where looking for but I think its a good brief summary of why some enjoy the game.

The fact that it just launched is kind of a plus for me. I am going to give it a look.
I miss every one of you fags it was a blast to play with you all

It's too quest, story, instance driven and it doesn't look like it's changing any time soon.

Sounds kind of neat. It surprisingly active with 400+ players online. though no idea if the system allows for multi-clienting, so hard to say how true it is.

Seems like it may be a good server otherwise. has anyone checked it out yet?

Help me.

>Siromas

remove siromas

Rise of Midgard has so far been enjoyable. Lots of parties showing up at all levels on #lfg

Life got busy for me and I had other things.

This is the monthly "everyone misses RO but no one actually wants to play it" thread isn't it? Well, if you guys decide to settle on some server that isn't some pinoy hell I'll check it out.

That said, Townbike should still be lurking the board, and soab has been playing on some ruskie server – they'll probably join as well.

People in the thread seem to gravitating towards Rise of Midgard.

bitch i miss u all

Nishiki here, I'll be on RoM whenever the download finishes.

I am trying to join it but I keep getting an error message and the tech support forums don't have an answer. Fuck.

I guess I'll play a little bit, too. Downloading now.

Lads we shouldn't do low rate anymore, here's why:

_After towing god knows how many newfriends in Anubis, most of them just left. At first I thought they were casuals and couldn't live with the grind, however after meeting a few people who played on the vanilla server (read: 1x/1x/1x), that's not what was happening. It turns out it took them too long to level up, once they hit max they just treat that as a monumental achievement and neglect gears. It became a whole different ball game where you either treat the game as a glorified chat room or you start thinking about gears and go insane for a whole week trying to farm that one specific item just to kickstart it all rip sonic he was a good lad, then you eventually quit too. In short, we need a place with better drops.

I recommend Estland RO for two reasons: It's got an 130x/130x exp rate and 30x~50x drop rates. You might think this will cheapen the experience and will take away the grind and therefore bonding time between guild members, however the grind begins at lv 85 ~ 99 and if you guys can recall, nobody who played seriously were content with just one character. There will also be needs to create another class and they will think "y-yea I don't mind rerolling" but once they attempt a third alt or a fourth, they will drop the ball. Don't kid yourself that you don't mind the grind. What about the gears needed for those alts too? Or builds that require triple cards? Also there will be next waves of people joining, and they will be left out with the oldfags either way. You would then think of employing a veteran to tow them up to our speed and believe me I loved helping newfriends, however it took away my time to help the big guys farm their gears and what happened is people started thinking "oh nobody does anything fun they just hit max then sit at pron" or "wow i love being stuck farming one thing alone".

Second reason is that this is a EU server. After that one guy who claimed "well all RO servers are populated by the 9gag audience you played one and experienced all" I thought of this: Most people here speak Slavic or French. Any cancer in the world chat will be out of sight, out of mind. The server is still prioritized for English speaker so its not a complete pinoy hell either. Along with these two main reasons there’s also free healer that comes with agi+bless buff, card remover and skill reseter that only demand 100k ~ 200k per change instead of bordering 2 million zenny. The warper requires you to pay a moderate sum for maps that contain farm centric mobs or MVP so they don’t render other areas useless.

I'm already seeing people are joining this low rate server though, if so I wouldn't stop you guys, but with reasons stated above, things will repeat and our attempt to relive it again in such a short time will yield a shorter result.

Also Estland RO fits Logan's criteria perfectly: pre-renewal builds with renewal maps. The mobs aren't hard coded to counter asura save for reflect but you still get the gears if you're fast enough.

Having gotten to play the slower game with you guys, I'd be more than happy to give something like this a shot just as easily as the other lowrate.
Now to figure out how to juggle my time between DFO, vidya projects, and work alongside whatever picks up here.

/Loremaster/ here.
RoM or Estland RO?

Don't go and restrict your self to servers based on my preference. I'd be up for checking this out. Rates will be interesting, but I'm sure it'll be fine.

trips will it.

The sooner we decide the less scuffle there will be. I'm already dead set for Estland though.

If you do log into Estland it's the EU download

I'll go with whatever, just feel like playing RO at the moment.

I'd recommend waiting a day or two, at least for folks in other timezones to get a say in and whatnot. While I'm a tad reluctant to play on something as high as 130/130/50, at this point I'll play on whatever the majority settles on. While RoM doesn't look bad, I've learned that it's a different matter altogether as to whether Holla Forumsirgins pick it up so I don't have much of an opinion either way.

Having played like 30 low and mid rate servers I'd say those rates are only detrimental to the experience in the long term.
Upper-mid rate like 130x is pretty good for grinding up a few characters, like user up there said. And I reckon most people who played RO growing up are old enough that they don't have 12 hours a day to sink in a single game, and I doubt people new to RO would be able to handle the grind on RoM.
That being said, let's just have a poll here and be done with it.
poal.me/l29lqg

Estland sounds fine. I'm up for a good midrate. As long as it's not one of those servers where the rates are so high that you kill one poring and you just suddenly become a fully geared 99/70 LK.

That kind of progression is almost exclusively for servers with 3rd jobs. Don't worry lad you don't even max novice job just by killing one poring on Estland, there's still a modicum of effort to exert.

For me it was the golden era, it was legitimately one of the few times i really enjuoyed and loved what i was playing. The first years on RO were an unparalleled experience.

To be honest fam, I don't expect this wave of playing to take off like it did during the summer. But those who are willing to play for now can.
If anything it'll give us a better idea of what we like as a guild. It'll help better define things for when summer rolls around.

I've got Estland installing right now. So I'll be putting my impressions in later on after playing on it for a bit.
If anyone wants to team up/find me I'll be under the name Airage

So far what went wrong with Tos:

so whats your opinion, Holla Forums?

Back when the internet wasn't as widespread, there was less dataminers, MMOs had interesting world and handcrafted, and people actually had to socialize to get any progress in.
It was annoying and inconvenient as all fuck, but that's what made figuring out something a lot more fun.

I had hope in it and Hakkyu, but they betrayed me. I expected a RO-tier world building, instead I get a pile of bullshit with identity crisis not knowing whether it wants to be a linear themepark or a sandbox-esque MMO.
Real shame too, I like the combat quite a bit. And the cosmetics are so cute.

I'll log in in a bit. Contact Soabobo every 5 minutes

Even then there are so many hidden things in game that you wouldn't normally notice.

What are you guys thinking of rolling?

Yeah. There are too many curious stuffs still. Sometimes you walk around a map and see a black spot that you can click on and there's a description for it. It serves no purpose at all but it adds to the world.
Then you go to Geffen and some random NPC may just explain to you that it's a trace leftover of magic experiment or something.

For example RO is actually a post apocalyptic fantasy game.

Champ, it's a wonderful mix of support and combat, very self-sustainable.

The game was a linear mess, with terrible worldbuilding, rampant restrictions that made player interaction even more pointless, no non-P2W economy, zero filtering of the community or persecution of bug abuse/bots/etc, terrible class balance, absolutely retarded nonfunctional PvP, pointlessly ramping grind, absolutely obnoxious linearity to progression with miniscule character or build customization, little to no identity for different areas, enemies, and items, and not enough monstergirls.

why do you guys do this to me ;_;

So that mid rate server Estland was pretty accommodating for the veteran RO player. I would only recommend it for people with not enough time to play a lower rate server. Though I was a little concerned that with a team of 3 and within about 2 hours we nearly hit level 80. The lack of grind is nice, but I think that anyone who knows what to do can max rank twice in the same day if they put their nose to the grind.

Other than that, lots of nice ease of life features, though it makes things like magnifiers, butterfly wings and even walking/ exploration trivial when you can warp directly to the map you want.

I said I'd rejoin Soab for another session soon on Estland, if you're in the steam group, hit Logan up with a friend request and we can organize something.

Thanks for the invite, but I got work tomorrow and the day after though, so I'll pass for now. I'll keep lurking here though, who knows..

I added u

No problem. Good to see ya around Kai. also, nice trips

cool, lets see about partying tomorrow (8+ hours from now). look forward to it.

How can I join the Steam group?

its mostly inactive, though some of us still keep in touch. What was your character name in HeRO? or are you an upcoming new player?

Nice dubs you too. it's Kei

I think I never played HeRO. Just started Estland.
IGN fluffrierre

the steam group mostly exists with HeRO info, but you can join it I suppose.I'll try to contact you when we start playing tomorrow.

steamcommunity.com/groups/8vHeRo

Already dead? Surprisingly unsurprising. I played a bit on Estland and with its rates and features (i.e @go) it might as well be an idle game but if that's where folks want to play I'll deal. According to poal.me/l29lqg we should have at least six pinoys interested in playing. How's this going to go down?

Who knows. Even the board is pretty much dead these days, let alone the game.
Someone should ring up Logan to see if he could spearhead another guild in Estland or RoM maybe.

I'll set up a guild in Estland. I even found an Emperium yesterday while hunting for shit with Soab.
As for RoM, If I get enough interest I'll get that installed and get that guild set up too.

If anyone wants to get an invite in the guild, leave a message here or better yet on steam if you've got me. I'll see what I can do.

You can only play on steam?

We mostly play on private servers. If you're looking to play for the first time, I'd recommend a low rate server to start. HeRO is a nice one that we have some history on. Though at the moment there isn't a active group of us on.
If you'd like to look at the list of private servers, have a look here: ratemyserver.net/index.php?page=listserver&rate=all&order_type=default_high&page_num=1 Adjust rates to your preference.