Is darkplaces still the best way to run singleplayer?

Is darkplaces still the best way to run singleplayer?

I prefer Quakespasm, I'm quite happy with a more or less vanilla feel. Also if you don't know about it you must play Arcane Dimensions, just search for it on Quaddicted and get version 1.5.

It's time to stop posting.

Anyone coop here? Looking to try out some campaigns. Particularly "Soul of Evil" and "Arcane Dimensions." It's so fucking hard to get friends to play. They'd sooner download some shit 40+gb free weekend game on steam.

Darkplaces looks a tad ugly, tbh, fam. I appreciate the effort and what they are doing, but it really makes Quake just look like a bad Doom 3 mod.

Also, someone, I haven't played Quake in ages. I downloaded Arcane Dimensions and Quakespasm, but apparently I still need the main game files. I know most Doom maps run perfectly with the base Doom2 wad. Do Quake maps usually require something else than the pak0?

I play this shit vanilla at 640x480.

You also need pak1.pak

I can't find all the secrets in Arcane Dimensions, and I still don't know how to unlock the locked levels either, the level design in these maps is great, far better than the original, I wouldn't mind seeing a remake of Quake or even Doom in a similar vein to the remade Q1/Doom maps.

Don't reply to weak bait.

dark places makes changes to physics, has poorer sound and is generally one of the worse quake ports. use quakespasm.

Does anyone know what this is using? someone in the comments mentioned nQuake

Quakespasm is better.

I do the same with Doom, I feel wads etc are super nice but they take away a lot of the vanilla feeling of the games

I rather use Quakespam too: noticed too many issues with DarkPlaces and mods.

gl_texturemode "gl_nearest_mipmap_nearest"
r_particles "2"
r_oldwater "0"
r_waterquality "8"
r_lerpmodel "0"

I wish the old underwater effect was still supported (not the boring warp)

A fellow man of taste, i see. Most of Holla Forums are secretly graphic whores to a certain degree so i wouldn't expect them to appreciate something like that.

Tweaked with it today. Do you have comparison-shots of the water because it didn't bother me?

You can disable texture filtering with gl_texturemode being just "3". Also, some might wanna remove the movement interpolation as well, which is r_lerpmove 0. It oddly feels a lot better with the choppy monster movement.

So you don't play any custom maps? Because most .wads are just custom maps.

do i really need that many frames

aa is trash but the water sounds nice

Buy me a vulkan-supporting gpu then, faggot.

heres a list

Reminder that Nvidia 500 series were to be supported but got dropped because jews be jewin

Joke's on you, I'm running on a HD 6000 series.

Good man.

Hold on. Where did you get that Shambler?

quakespasm with software rendering look

You know chocolate doom exists right, you pretentious cunt?

It comes with Arcane Dimensions but you should be able to just replace the .mdl in your Quake folder.

Speaking of Quake, anyone here play multiplayer arena fps? There's still small communities for playing Quake 1 (AKA QuakeWorld), CPMA (Quake 3 Promod), Quake Live, and other spinoffs like Reflex.

If anyone's interested I can link some Discord servers or info etc.

Obligatory Bulgarian Odyssey.

Gahahaha, i triggered someone.

nice

Just looked into it. The arcane dimensions shambler runs on two model-files while the original runs on just one. Does someone know where the character description or something for the monsters is so that I can try to replace it with the shambler.qc content I also found in the AD's files?

Haha yeah!

I was just playing Quake in Xonotic a bit earlier.

Thanks. Looks like other models are redone too. And they seem to be animated accordingly to the original code.

There's no need to tweat progs.dat; just rename "mon_shambler.mdl" to "shambler.mdl", put it in "progs/", that's sufficient. You might also want to include the head model (for gibs): it's "h_shambler.mdl" (no need to rename this one).

*tweak (the fuck?!)

I think the head file needs to be renamed to "h_shams.mdl", but otherwise seems to work great, thanks.

While we are at it, were are there any other good monster skin replacements? I think the dogs at least have a bit more definition in AD as well.

You're right: just checked in PAK0.PAK

Are there any non-shit mdl-decompilers for Quake?

I wouldn't mind playing original quake multiplayer if you could show me how to do it

Can I just push texture back into an mdl-file?

kek

It has an enhanced player model, grunt, axe weapon model, ammunition/pickups and rune keys

There's a decompiler and compiler for Blender, I've managed to get custom models into the game from there.

That looks cool as shit, thanks user!

The actual fun of the levels seems to vary. Some are really good, some are just Half-Life tier script-tube.

Eat my dick, they are all great, there are just ones that aren't as great as the great ones.

Sorry, brah, but Terror Fuma made me fall asleep, wake up and think I was playing Half-Life.

That's some bad taste right there.

Either download QuArK and do it yourself, or post the PNG and I'll do it (remember that you'll lose a shitload of colors in the process, and I'm not sure you get those blue-sky eyes look as right, but hey, it's worth the try).

Here's one that can export individual frames to ASE or OBJ (can also export textures). It's command-line based.
gaarabis.free.fr/_goodies/Q_MDL2ASE.rar

I'm fine with DP, but I'll try Quakespasm.

Those are some dorky looking shamblers, my man.

Why is it that Trent Reznor is the only mainstream artist who can actually capture that brutal industrial feeling?
The later Quake games just went for an "awesome and bad-ass" sound.

Taht's Quake? I can't even recognize it.

Nah it's a video I made a while back of me playing FEAR and skeet shooting grenades. FEAR being a post-cowadooty shooter, it's the most QUAKE-like action you can hope for tbh fampai.

DP is just not brown enough. the nifty lighting is alright but the explosions look like theyre from nquake

QS with extended map limits or you get pic related trying to play cataractnachon

Just check out the groups that influenced Trent like Skinny Puppy and Coil

Ministry produced about 2 albums that had that gritty feel before they abandoned that genre

I'm gonna suck your throbing dick dry user. Glad I own The New Backwards, The Ape of Naples and Backwards and I'm almost all NIN related albums.

While we're at it have some Methods of Destruction, by Sasha Dikiciyan (aka Sonic Mayhem, the guy behind some of Quake III Arena tracks). The album was meant to be what he thought the Quake soundtrack should have been like. The whole album is still available here and there, but many deleted it because Sasha doesn't really feel comfortable with his older work (or at least, doesn't want it to be distributed publicly).

Whoever picked the colors for the lighting has no fucking taste, the level looks like a Christmas tree.

Does quake have gameplay mods like doom (Zen Dynamics,Brutal doom,DemonSteele,wolfendoom etc…)?

Yo, you know how to play Quake 3 these days?