Post your favorite TECHNOLOGY moments in vidya. Those tiny details that make the world feel real

Post your favorite TECHNOLOGY moments in vidya. Those tiny details that make the world feel real.

Other urls found in this thread:

8ch.net/v/res/11657837.html#q11658807
youtube.com/watch?v=Elwb2lV88hM
youtube.com/watch?v=Lqxag2TDqtQ
youtube.com/watch?v=IEFnr7wTjUM
youtube.com/watch?v=RV9ooD5rx1o
youtube.com/playlist?list=PL08A1C7C4AD0D2B91
moddb.com/mods/gunslinger-mod
simonschreibt.de/gat/metal-gear-rising-slicing/
mars.jpl.nasa.gov/msl/multimedia/raw/?rawid=0729ML0031250020305133E01_DXXX&s=729
youtu.be/pakNIoLHRD4
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

I found shooting the TV with tranq darts to be more impressive than the ice cubes

Why do developers insist on sticking with photorealism when games like MGS2 have proven that a stylized approach can still look realistic AND stand the test of time?

Because some hack in charge wants the Hollywood audience real bad.

Don't have a video, but the barrels in Timesplitters 2 that keep track of how full they are when you shoot them were cool. You have to shoot the bottom of the barrel to drain them fully, cuz gravity.

cuz stylizing is for kids! REALISM IS FOR ADULTS! DONT YOU WANT TO BE AN ADULT?!

This entire game, i couldn't believe that PSX games could manage to look this good. It even has FACIAL ANIMATIONS.

idle animation on a rifle in the first metro
your character is fooling with something and permanently breaks it on the gun

I don't know if you'd really call it a technology thing but in FFXI if you run through a body of water you lose your scent and some aggressive enemies can lose track of you this way. It's practically never useful but cool.

youre the cancer killing videogames

the fact that this was a saturn launch title (at least in america) and looks better than most things from the generation is pretty incredible

It looks good because they used extremely simple textures and most of the level geometry was ultra simple. I wish more people would do that.

I mean for fucks sake the whole game is you running around a bunch of hexagons.

yeah we need lower quality textures and map design

Yes.

Devs need to learn to walk before they run.

kill yourself

Metro won't age well. Already looks too busy.

jokes on you i quit after 5 hours

It's also not a particularly good game.

Gen 5 Pokemon games had a Pokemon Musical thing, where you dress up a Pokemon and enter it into contests. One Pokemon faces away from the enemy in it's normal sprite, and if they kept it like that it would be facing away from the audience in the contest. They added a rule to use it's enemy sprite instead, so it would face the right direction.
In Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 3 if you pick some of the hidden characters, bump into someone, then wait next to them, they do something weird. What they do depends on what character you're playing as. For example, if you're playing as the hobo and do this they'll start slurring, and if you do it as the demoness they catch fire and shrink.

Good fucking game.

Metro 2033 still looks fine. Metro LL/Redux was a thousand times to busy since day one.

The braces for the eyes and just as ugly.

Get you're head examined faggot

I keep hearing people saying stuff like that as if graphics back then didn't matter.
At the time MGS2 was a technological achievement and was already supposed to look like a movie.
The graphics were "simpler" or "stylized" simply because he hardware at the time wasn't able to offer much more, because otherwise i am sure they would have gone with the photorealistic approach without a doubt.

Not at that resolution, it doesn't.

something more recent than impressed me, bullet holes you can actually look through

I'm glad I'm not the only one that noticed that they did that in Medal of Honor.

No one is saying that, in fact I don't think anyone has ever used that argument in reference to MGS2 - I'm saying a cohesive art style will look far more impressive than just saying "bigger textures, more shaders, more realism!"

Just look at Medal of Honor here, it released almost one whole year after MGS2 and it looks like hot garbage in comparison. I played it near release and it never bothered me then because it was generally the best that was possible, visually, but looking back on it now after 14 years of progress it simply doesn't hold up as well as MGS2 did.

No one has said it wasn't.

You say this as if it's any less true today. We still don't have the technology for believably photo-realistic graphics running at anything close to a playable framerate. Chasing after photorealism is pointless at the moment because within literal weeks of your game being released, something else is going to come around the corner with even more "realistic" visuals that instantly makes your title look aged.

My argument is that MGS2 adopted a brilliant stylized art design that made the most of the technology available and is a perfect example of why focusing solely on "realism" in graphics is sometimes a pointless endeavor, as you can achieve a visual style that looks just as good, if not better, as any photorealistic game with the added bonus of aging far more smoothly.

I sure got the feeling you meant the opposite from your post.
But yes, many people even here on Holla Forums talk about how previous gens were better because developers didin't care about graphics, which is simply not true.
I Agree with you anyway.
Never implyed that, and then again, i agree with the rest.

I think siege is one of the few games in recent memory that sold itself partly on it's TECHNOLOGY and it actually made a difference.

*implied
(english is not my Language)

aww those jews are so cute i could cook them up

its destruction tech is really impressive, i can't think of any times in recent memory where bullet holes were actual holes and not just texture stickers

judging by the outfits and scenery they're not jews but american POWS

Are you goyim trying to shoah me again!?
After the 6 gozillion!?

well judging by their height and lack of basic hygiene and the fact their tied up (probably for jewing too much) they're not americans but jews who fled to america prior to ww2,technically being an american

CHECKED HOLY SHIT

But the game WAS going for a realistic look. It only appears stylized in hindsight, because of the progression of graphics technology. I know what you mean though. MGS 2, 3 and 4 look a lot less uncanny than modern photorealistic faces. It seems that a face has to be realistic looking but not too realistic to avoid the uncanny valley. Maybe one day we'll pass the valley and get our ultra-realistic faces, but it will probably take many magnitudes more work in CGI than most games spend.

BD was neat

Does anyone have that webm of hitman with the mirror being shot and the refraction changing realistically based on the point the mirror was shot?
That shit was amazing.

Truly ahead of it's time

pretty solid game

Another game with neat robots to shoot up was Vanquish.
Less TECHNOLOGY but they were really satisfying to blow up all the same.
Good localized damage too, with an emphasis on getting consistent headshots on entire horde to dispatch them propely maximizing the potential of your ammo, wich promoted getting gud.

.>>11679509
Is this your card?

It was posted here or 8ch.net/v/res/11657837.html#q11658807

↑ That post was meant for this fag ↓

But I must have highlighted a period before quoting.

It seems that attention to detail like this often coincides with good games.

Good games made by people who love their game, as opposed to big corporations shoveling out another money cow.

Meanwhile in WE WUZ MAFIA

Why put in technology that only a small faction of people will even notice?
This is a waste of money, that's why these things are not made.

Because it shows that you took the time to make your game with care instead of making a generic futuristic FPS

taking time doesn't sell copies
Video Games are first and foremost a business.

god no why would anyone want to be an adult

We know that, Schlomo, you can go away now.

Now that you mention it, it does seem like this kind of thing only comes from devs with a stable job. Giant publishers who hire devs and fire them the second they're done with they're task never have this level of detail. Stuff like that Hitman mirror wouldn't happen if there wasn't some guy bored out of his mind waiting for someone else to finish up

Your nose is showing

You could tack in something like these in 1 day or less. Unless you're working for EA and/or hate your job, you'll almost certainly have enough time to tinker with fun stuff. That "melting ice" would take you 30 min max if you know the engine, it's just a very slow particle scaling effect. Breaking bottles are just generic background objects, all you have to do is NOT make them static.

Even surprisingly advanced features may be just novel engine mechanics that already exist, but don't have any good application so they're then slapped into some novel location.

There's a technique called "reflection probes" or something which allow you to very effectively fake reflections like that. They don't allow you to reflect actual moving entities like the player though.

I don't know how they work 100%, but basically they're points in the world that contain a 360 "screenshot" of their surroundings, and which ever probe you're closest at determines what's being reflected. So each room can have their own reflection probe, and the reflections on your helmet will appear to mirror that room.

Timesplitters: Future Perfect had something similar to this, only in the second level and the map maker though, that I can remember, which was strange.

You could ignite what comes out of them too, and the barrel will explode after a few seconds of burning, or you can make them explode right away if you hit them with fire or explosives instead of bullets.

You think that programming is the only thing that consumes time?

Good lord

it's a 240p game, pretty much every game that gen was.

Inexcusable.

It is a thread about the "technology" side, so yes, it is. Playtesting involves a lot of fucking around in the game, they have all the time in the world to test things and it would be extremely difficult for someone to say that you haven't been testing fast enough.

Do tell me what ITT would take an unnecessarily long time to do and why. Otherwise shut the fuck up.

i remember when i was a kid playing these games and thinking of how real everything was getting. i remember playing this old PC shooter (quake era) game and shooting garbage cans and watching the opening swing back and forth and thinking it was amazing.
I thought every game/sequel would add these little things until it was a living world. then i remember seeing red factions geo-mod thing where you can blast tunnels with rockets imaging how all this would be combined to make a super realistic world, then seeing games like GTA3 and the getaway and thinking it was happening. then seeing games like MGS2 where the level of detail goes beyond autistic everything from the conversations available to the things you can test and experiment with the AI, characters, devices just goes beyond what i would even think about. i thought the future would be game worlds like this with VR.
and then it stopped happening. and then they went backwards. and then Fez released with tons of praise.

the future isnt exciting anymore.
has anyone else noticed we went from the positive 1980s future of neon lights and rings in a high technology utopia to people wishing some kind of apocalypse occurs where they survive in some horrible manner?
i blame liberals

by wishing do you mean how many settings in various entertainment mediums tend to lean towards dismal and depressing these days?

yes, but not just that, but the popular "fantasy" now is to return to a much more primitive state in one way or another, usualy motivated by not having to go to work or pay rent anymore. My fantasy when i was a kid in the late 80s early 90s was to have robot servants, conveyerbelt sidewalks, flying cars, automatic chefs, and that kinda stuff.

TECHNOLOGY is an important part to a lot of games as it gives them a more immersive feel. For example the flying cars in Metropolis and in general being able to destroy shit like lamp-posts in Ratchet and Clank often go unnoticed by players but if you were to take them away then it would have a different feel because you subconciously are aware of their presence, even if you do not actively observe them. For shit like particle effects this is a very significant aspect, for example you don't NEED to have different effects for when your shot hits dirt or when you hit a metal object, but adding these things definitely has an impact on the player's perception of the game.

The future was supposed to be awesome in the 90s. All that dank mechnical details and chrome, sure it's dark, but you could always rely on the good guys to save the day.

Then I got to the future and all I got were shitty Apple designs and SJWs.

is that really that popular? i thought it was just an Holla Forums thing because we have so many slavs and rednecks

no way that goes unnoticed, all the breakables are full of cash.

It's what happens when everyone gets fed up with the world but feels like they have no power to change anything.
I think that you can find hints to what people wish for when looking at popular fantasy fiction. I guess back then people hoped huge technological advancements would carry us to new exciting lives where everything was fucking radical and new.
With the popularity of zombie games and other post-apocalyptic or medieval fantasy games nowadays, I think people have decided the 'future' kind of sucks.

It's escapism, don't you see? It's not healthy!

I thought it was liberals wanting to vent their murderous tendencies.

its not the future yet, wait until after WW3

I'm waiting direct neural VR, I'm not coming back to this shit reality after that

its not just a few. this is very common and even shows in popular media. and the positive view of the future back then was very common too. people forget.
people would commonly say things jokingly like "you know in the future i wont even have to cook anymore, you'll just push a button and get whatever you want"

when someone says future everybody thinks of something horrible. back then we thought of pic related. where you can go to space on the weekend for a fun trip. i still have all my old popular mechanics magazines that regularly posted articles about how awesome the future will be.

There are many that do go unnoticed though, especially breakables that are attached to the ceiling because nobody ever bothers looking up.

At least we have the apple watch. r-right guys?

That makes me unreasonably angry. Know what came after cyberpunk? Postcyberpunk: AKA Return of Corporate Shills and the Strong Independent Wymyn Who Dun Need No Man. Then the degration of Steampunk, into the perfect hipsterfag medium until everything went extra-librul until it's just goddamn SJWs.

The 90s weren't very "positive". It was always supposed to be raining and everyone smoked. Cause it was cool and noir. But it had hope.

In the 2010s it's like everyone kind of shrugged and gave up.

The wet t-shirt / getting dirty shader from the REAL tomb raider games later on in the franchise.

The shirt would gradually dry after jumping in the water. If you were jumping around a dirty tomb Lara would get covered in dirt, then when you jumped in water she would glisten with her cleanliness.

Images related are from mods, but they illustrate how the shader worked. I assume it took two textures dry/wet and combined them. Still it was a great effect that made Lara even more fun to look at.

Thought I removed the youtube embed.
These are the images I was referencing.

its also worth mentioning that this sentiment was popular across all platoforms. remember those "house of tomorrow" cartoons? or the jetsons? the future has always looked positive to people from the 50s, 60s, 70s, 80s, 90s.

now we just sit and wait for the sweet release of death, and hope that it turns into a cool action movie before we die.

we went from this

to this

Vidya should be get better with the years not shitty

they still have some interesting articles about future tech, but yeah it's mostly consumer electronics.

I seriously did not expect this shit to happen, it's amazing how one of the least technically well made games for the Wii manages to also have some of the best uses for the remote. Felt like buying the damn thing was worth it.

Seriously why is that there's only a handful of games that did cool shit with the Wii remote other than use it as an actual remote and the gyroscope?

checked

insane attention to detail

I thought the whole shift from thinking of the future as an ideal utopia to being more and more bleak and depressing started at the end of WW1 and then really ramped up after WW2 when basically everyone saw just how shit the world and people could truly be. Instead of flying cars and replicators it was city-levelling nuclear bombs, radiation, PTSD etc.

basically everyone got super depressed after the world wars and the cultural zeitgeist changed to "well shit, this future sucks"

And yet the AI doesn't respond to bloodstains.

mgs2 did this 15 years ago

Meanwhile if you shoot a water container in MGS V, it streams out the bullet hole and stops. And then you aim higher and shoot it again and it streams out the bullet hole.

Do it with a machine gun to see how pathetic this shit has become.

MOTHER-FUCKER. You can't be an adult without accepting the fact that intelligence is ageless, same as maturity.

i think its less that people want a zombie apocalypse and more that a few zombie games were a smash hit while not requiring you to be all that creative to make, and people like mowing down hordes of enemies. so that was a bandwagon everyone jumped on. and trends are just things that happen. think back a bit youve noticed them before.

what were seeing here are just trends and cash grabs with a big dose of uninspired laziness.
almost everyone is dead and the few that remain are struggling. instant 'serious story'. a "realistic" apocalypse setting almost writes itself too.

yeah, i buy that.

Half-Life - Roach AI Demonstration
youtube.com/watch?v=Elwb2lV88hM

Half-Life - Houndeye Sonic Attack Behavior
youtube.com/watch?v=Lqxag2TDqtQ

Half-Life - How to Feed a Bullsquid
youtube.com/watch?v=IEFnr7wTjUM

Half-Life - Vortigaunt Combat Traits
youtube.com/watch?v=RV9ooD5rx1o

youtube.com/playlist?list=PL08A1C7C4AD0D2B91

moddb.com/mods/gunslinger-mod

that's some cool info

2009-2016 has been fucking horrible so far and I have no hope for 2020 to get any better. We might see a return to normalcy back to the quality of the 2000s

Just imagine, with just 1 billion you could have started a trillion dollar company and saved not only vidya, but Holla Forums Holla Forums /mu/ Holla Forums /out/ and the whole world.
Instead this fat fuck is sitting on 2.4 billion like Rayman(with sunglasses and on an island) giving zero fucks about the world.

He couldn't even be arsed to move his fat fingers enough to make the good Minecraft game we were promised from 2009 before he fucked it up with the October updates in 2010.

To be fair Notch has shown interest in small time indie games, but only just.

"I wish everybody could be rich and famous so they could see it's not worth it."

Sure, except I didn't just mention zombie games. Shouldn't have restricted it to just games though.
It's not so much the zombies or mowing down mindless enemies that pulls people, but more the collapse of civilization, government and 'normal' life as a whole. Getting a clean slate where you decide what to do with it on top of being surrounded by danger.

Vigilante 8 second offense.
You could take out the game disc and put your own cd's in and it would play the music no problem.
One day me and my buddy said, "hey, why not listen to the music from the first game, haha"

It depends how rich you are. If billions then yes you'll need a huge amount of intelligence and a sound mind to not get paranoid and not spend it all before you die.
Famous? That's the least thing you'd want. Nobody wants to paint a target on them.
(Plus there's the problem of being targeted by large political heads and extremely rich and powerful power, but you never see people living in Beverly Hills stressing over some Rothschild mafia knocking against their door)

So why aren't more people into city builders? and shaping and altering reality? I guess a quality sandbox game is far too intelligent for them. They need Minecraft's original zombie idea.
Look if they want an anormal life game surrounded by danger then why don't they become miners and deep sea miners? It's just that it wouldn't be a very sociable game or a very bright game at all.

Cubemapping?

How can these graphics work so well on a simple dual core? How do the ruskies do it, Holla Forums?

i know what you mean. thats also just a trend. i wasnt very clear but thats what i was alluding to in the second paragraph. they share themes, i think its just a slight evolution of that. they can continue to cash in on largely the same lazy money node.

Of course people are going to cash in on it, but that was never my point.

I missed this in your other post, but
Do you really believe this?

Damn, you always find out new things about this game
Well over 700 hours and still learning

Notch is redpilled lately, at least kinda. Been calling out feminists and SJWs all over the place. Probably because when he got rich his wife immediately divorced him and took most of his shit.

I assume they do it with heavy amounts of LODs and post processing. It's fucking magical

Dunno but I wish more games gave a shit about optimization. I play on a toaster and half the time I'll try to play some 2001-looking game with sprite graphics or some shit and it'll chug along, while games from competent devs with equivalent or far better graphics and complexity run just fine.

That's because when you were a kid you didn't have bills to pay or work to do. All you had was being a kid and fucking around all day wishing you had more influence over your situation. Every fantasy you had was thus some kind of power fantasy or enabling fantasy. You wanted a world where you could get unlimited free candy because you liked candy but didn't get much of it. Now that you're an adult you want a world where you don't have to pay bills, because you can't afford candy anyway.

As for popular media being like this, it's just the zeitgeist. By most definitions, we're living in a post-apocalypse brought on by modern terrorism, that is one part Orwellian iron-fisted government control and two parts Huxley-ian blithe complacency of the masses.

I'm still amazed by the water-effects in Super Mario Sunshine.
I wasted hours just fucking around swimming or racing through with the FLUDD or on a squid.

THOSE DIGITS

have porn

This makes me wanna play blood money again

Oh god, dont even fucking remind me that game exists please.

Ta-Da now you know why there is so little technology in video games cause of that attitude. I mean why add any depth to video games at all when you can just do the bare minimum? Thats the attitude that caused the industry to be as shit as it is right now and getting worse every second. I sure hope you are just playing devils advocate and are not this cancerous.

Are you the same faggot from that one technology thread who wasted hours complaining about the barrel in , only for a couple programmer anons to show up and wreck your shit?

Need pics mr.Trips

I completely agree with you, but…
JEWS are the ones to blame for everything, liberals are just their useful idiots

Same reason only a handful of games did anything with the Gamepad; Nintendo wasn't paying off reviewers so any game released on it was bound to get low scores.

FUCK

Warframe looks good but fuck me is the game fucking dull. I honestly got no idea how it would be better unless it was REALLY about being stealthy and an assassin.

I'm still confused.

Namefag. Filtered.

fucking bullshit.

I bet you disliked the time limits on Dead Rising too.

URHHG! wtf nintendo

I thought something looked wrong

I never actually played any of them, but generally yeah, time limits often anger me.

However, a game that got time limits right was Pikmin 1 as the game was a much better but when the time limit was lifted from Pikmin 2, it lead to playing the game WAY too safe and taking no risks.

Harry Potter 2, at least the PC version, also did that.

Gimmick! was such a lovely game.

You guys forget that DE was the guys that made the unreal engine and UT99

MGS2 wasn't stylised. It was as realistic as they could possibly make it. The concept art was stylised, but then again so was the concept art for all the MGS games

wait a second…

nice!

That's actually pretty common for PS4 games now. Stuff like GTA V and Let It Die will play phonecards through the controller speaker instead of your TV.

Phonecalls I mean, piece of shit technology in my own hands

Would being shot in the balls really kill you? I mean, yeah, I wouldn't want to live after having my balls blown off but I wouldn't have thought the blood vessels there were big enough for you to die of blood loss if you got shot there

With a dance, beauty is enchanted.
With a dance, a shining moon rings.

Divinity extends a hand in marriage
and the song of a chimera bird marks the dawn.
God bless you. God bless you.
God bless you. God bless you.

Dev here, lemme lay down the basic version.

Reflection probes are basically a object you put in your map that has an area of influence around it. At a central point, when you bake the probe, it takes a screenshot in all 6 directions to make a cubemap(some optimized models do 2 warped hemisphere shots, which requires less memory, but can have distortions, so it's a speed/quality tradeoff there). Then when the game is rendering, it takes the pixels inside the influenced area and figures the respective direction a pixel is pointing, and samples from the cubemap to project the reflection onto the surface appropriately.

From there, you can either leave it at full intensity, yielding a mirrored surface, or in more modern rendering workflows, you have other textures that inform how rough and reflective the surface is, allowing the reflection probe to subtly inform the shininess and ambient lighting on the surface without everything looking like a mirror, or the ugly "everything is plastic" effect of early last-gen games.

being able to spin toilet paper rolls in Duke Nukem Forever

Bethesda has a fucking lesson to learn about working around the player killing certain character.

TRIGGERED

A good chunk of it is picking what tradeoffs to make.

Absolutely no doubt that a ton of devs either don't know their tools very well(which is what happens a lot with indies that pick up established engines like Unity, Unreal or Cryengine) or just flatly don't care/have a beefy machine and figure "it runs on my machine".

Beyond that, though, lots of the stuff hailed in this thread - the little physics doodads, destructable elements, animated lights from explosions, all cost more when they can be dynamic.

Some of the best looking games tend to have the most static environments for this exact reason. If you can bake everything on the assumption it never changes or anything, it's WAY less expensive to run. Warframe is a good example in that almost nothing in the levels are interactive.

But for something like FEAR, where you have tons of physically-enabled things, moving lights, etc, those innately have a higher overhead performance-wise because of their interactivity.

That said, it would be nice if more devs went ahead and made a call towards interesting worlds than 1% shinier graphics than the competition, but USUALLY less-than-great performance on lower end hardware isn't a result of negligence. At least when it's more experienced devs, anyways.

No, those bullets don't have the same diameter. Squint your eyes and you'll see.

Not outright, but the tremendous pain has a good chance of sending your body into shock. Unless you have someone nearby to get you to a hospital ASAP you're fucked.

Getting shot in the groin is more likely to hit something else, and there are a lot of blood vessels around there. Remember, your dick works by pumping a lot of blood to it and then back out of it. If it was just your nut(s), the pain might be enough to kill you if you have a weak heart or something. Failing that you'd bleed quite a bit but probably not enough to kill you. If your dick got blown off you would be very likely to die of blood loss.

noice

What game?

Half Life had full roach AI.
It took me a minute to notice the roaches.

So with enough Danes we could retake Constantinople hassle-free?

Games on PS4 with ingame communication like Let it Die and Boringlands tend to play the audio of whoever is talking to you out of the speaker on the controller.

Come the fuck on, man.

At least in the case of 9x18 Makarov, pistol ammunition is fine, but SMG ammunition has hard as fuck primers, making it easy to have misfires and hangfires on some models of 9x18 pistols. Same diameter.

taking your time on useless details != taking time making the gameplay actually good

Binary Domain, underrated game all around. If you play it turn off the voice shit though, it was a nice idea but it didn't play out.

It's polish intended to give the game some vitality. These tiny details prove that the developer cares and you can respect them for that regardless of how you ultimately feel about their product.

If bare gameplay is meat, I'd still like some bread, peppers, seasoning, sauce, cheese, and maybe some other things to go with it.

To this day I am still impressed with GTA4's cell phones interfering with the car stereo when you're receiving a call or a message, just like 2G (and to a lesser extent, LTE) phones did at the time.

Just think about it, GTAIV is old enough to predate the widespread adoption of smartphones.
The Whiz is essentially a big feature phone, it has downloadable ringtones and can send picture messages. The game even has blackberry jokes in the radio ads, too.

The original Splinter Cell also did that. Dogs could catch your scent pretty easily, but going through a stream would throw them off.

Why does that nigger have blue eyes?

Speaking of Platinum, Metal Gear Rising's cutting was some cool technology. I'm still not sure how they did it. I assume they rendered a second object, but made part of it invisible, and chose the cut area's texture from a list based on the angle of the cut. But that's just my speculation.

Not likely since you could end up with a bunch of cuts and a huge amount of pieces. It'd take a fair bit if it needed to render the same thing over and over again hundreds of times.

Why not discuss techloligy instead?

This guy does a bunch of render technique breakdowns on his site. Coincidentally, one such post was about how they likely achieved the slicing mechanic. It's a pretty good read if you're into the technical stuff.

simonschreibt.de/gat/metal-gear-rising-slicing/

Game?

Alright, that was fucking impressive.

You make it sound like putting in these details is a monumental task, as if every single piece of the map is carefully handcrafted each time a level is made. That's not how it's done, user. For example lets say you want working soda machines, just make a small room with nothing but every soda machine you plan on being in the game. Then you can just cut and paste the soda machine into the spot on the map you want. Bam done. How about instead you want a complex cliff side, then just take one of your own cliffsides you made and recolor it then put it in. There you go a cliffside, easy as shit.
Map makers in various modding communities do this shit all the time.

Found the shareholder.

Thanks, will read.

Does anyone have that lighting comparison gif/webm? One side shows static lighting and the other shows dynamic after a grenade is thrown in both rooms?

Dude

Notch's wife left him 2 years before he sold Minecraft to Microsoft. They were only married for a year.

Every thread till we rike it?

What a bitch

Yep I'm fucking blind. Still a sucker for good lighting effects. Not pretty, just good. I don't know if it's happened yet, but I eagerly await the day light reflects off of things well, like sunlight bouncing off a window or something.

I don't know the details, so I wouldn't jump to conclusions.

To be honest, user, i was talking about you.
just kidding.

kek

Because the fat jew never has to work again and needs a hobby that doesn't involve making video games.

That video reminds me, in U4 you can see the cartilage in Drake's ear if enough light is shone on it.

Weed

People quickly grew out of naivety and became pragmatic.

For some reason that game didn't look any worse when I switched everything to low and it didn't look any better when I set everything to high. It only added some filtering and a few effects for the environment, but the actual textures and polygon count didn't seem to change.

That is a good one but hell no, have you ever read any pop-sci articles? Not only that but the people that write those articles are very obviously doing clickbait, they call the individuals behind whatever research they are talking about and then try their very hardest to twist their words to come up with whatever conclusion they want. A good example of this would be when pretty much every pop-sci outlet acted like the US government has the technology to extract information from people's brains with electrodes when the guy they were basing their articles on simply stated that he is monitoring brain activity during sleep and that it is theoretically possible to extract information relating to what they see in their dreams.

that's called subsurface scattering

They also became standardless melodramatic retards incapable of doing anything right and instead demanding to be spoon fed shit instead of food.

Have you noticed how all these dark and edgy movies, tv series and cartoons have the character pretending to be an edgy badass, yet he never gets_shit_done and instead whines like an idiot till he gets his way?(Legend of Korra).
Or when tv series are written by geeky talentless hacks with a dialogue so boring and lame it makes you wanna smash through the writing session and give that geek a weegie so he shuts the fuck up, this coming from a nerd.

What happened to the silent heroes and anti-heroes archetype who used to shut up and act? And only deliver edgy smartass one liners when they remembered it.

You can blame the transition from utopia to dystopia from the Nuclear Weapon scare during the cold war.

before the 1960's people were thinking of the future and how nuclear technology will power our future. after 1980's people had the fear that nuclear weapons would be the end of our species from idiotic leaders, we were actually very close to destruction from the united states and russia.

The US government has technology that is 300 years more advanced than Consumer technology. they trickle down technology when they believe the public is ready.

Black projects steal money from taxes, when the government puts out a contract to build lets say a stealth fighter, they get overcharged for the construction and the rest of the money is sent to black projects that even the US president has no clue over. They use this money to build technology that is years ahead of our time.

You can also blame the fact that modern society isn't exactly in the most optimal condition right now.

Also what you are forgetting is that the part about the US having that kind of technology in those articles is not based on certain eyewitness statements, leaks or even the slightest paper trail talking about government tech. It is based on the thing that I mentioned that has absolutely nothing to do with that. Shit like the predictions about aliens and flying saucers that came out of speculation about Area 51 is at least understandable because you have somewhere to draw that conclusion from, for grossly misrepresented statements that you fully well know aren't, however, is not justified in the slightest.

You dont have to believe it if you dont want to. but there is technology that is far more advanced hidden from the public.

Learn some reading comprehension, faggot

Have you seen this image from mars.
image is from nasa.

I removed the brown filter they add to every image. and i highlighted some things that stand out.

These pictures where taken in the desert here on earth, they never send a cart to Mars.

these images are from the mars rover.

Such a shame Naughty Dog is now ruined because of (((Neil Druckmann))).
That cocksucker just goes around in the studio saying:
And then he takes credit for everything else (graphics, gameplay etc.) that was made by hardworking people in ND, that unlike that Jew faggot, are actually talented.

"A game made by Neil Druckmann"
That's so fucking ridiculous, that kike needs to an hero ASAP.

I like that Hitman has some attention to detail but it could've so much more.
In Blood Money for exemple the AI would investigate blood stains.

This image was taken by Mastcam: Left (MAST_LEFT) onboard NASA's Mars rover Curiosity on Sol 729 (2014-08-25 05:27:12 UTC).

Image Credit: NASA/JPL-Caltech/MSSS

mars.jpl.nasa.gov/msl/multimedia/raw/?rawid=0729ML0031250020305133E01_DXXX&s=729

And on what basis do they stand out? Sharper edges than the other rocks? Slightly larger than the other pebbles?

I am more inclined to believe this. As neat as those 3D animations were, nothing much came of it, only more predictions of water and the statement about dust being partially magnetic.

Forgot what SMG shoots 9mm? That British one.

they look like man made objects.

for example an unusually angled object
Round wheel shape
mechanical junk
boxes

Where the hell are you seeing wheels and mechanical junk?

Thats not what nasa says.

To avoid further shitting up of the thread, the last thing I am going to say is that you're a retard if you see either of those things in the image.

No, you are just a shill and an idiot.

You can obviously see them but you deny them.

I even linked it to nasa's website yet you deny that its supposedly taken on mars and believe its of earth even though nasa themselves says its from mars.

You wanted proof of black projects, here it is.

either nasa is lying and they never went to mars, or this is proof that they have already established bases around our solar system.

I know I said that was my last post but this is the dumbest shit I have ever heard. The whole point is that I am questioning the credibility of NASA's statement that it is from Mars so when you say "b-but NASA said it is real" then you are simply side-stepping the issue and using them as an authority figure to justify their authority position, which is what is in question.
The only one that meets the criteria by appearance of potentially being man-made is the one in second row, second column. The rest look like rocks that you could find pretty much anywhere on Earth, the one that DOES look like it could be man-made is blurry as fuck and pretty damn small when you take the original image into account.

YES Authority figure, because it is SUPPOSEDLY TAKEN BY NASA'S ROVER ON MARS.

THIS IS THE MOST CREDIBLE LINK, If i posted to some random blog and claimed it true than i would be obviously wrong.

What looks like rocks to you looks like man made objects to me.

the point is this image was taken by nasa and they claim that it was from mars.

mafia had some of that shit too, glass breaking and shit.

How can 1 retard get away with so much bullshit?

How come the USA still get away to this day with 9/11 when even Trump himself knows jet fuel can't melt steel beams ?

youtu.be/pakNIoLHRD4

they might add reaction to blood stains in the future updates

I've watched this three times now, so sad

I also just noticed the shotgun in 4 ejects shells when it fires, not when he cocks it, but the one in 1 doesnt eject until it should, just another detail

Because the more focus on creating nice graphics, the less focus artists have on trivial but nice little details.
I can't account for programmers though, the code work load hasn't exactly changed much from FEAR 1 days.

The accountants figured out that spending money on graphics and advertising would get them a better return than spending it on programming.

In that long list of shit they fucked up the deal breaker for me was crouch, why the fuck remove crouch when it lets you use everything as cover unlike the shitty cover system?
all cover systems are shitty

I miss this kinda shit. I thought that video games in 2016 would be technical masterpieces of detail and graphical fidelity and yet they keep progressing backwards.

Escape from Tarkov is what I thought video games in 2016 would look like. Seems like only Slavs and Japs can make games look good.

When HL2 and FarCry both came out in 2004 I was sure we were only 10 years away from full physics on everything.
I expected a FPS where you could shot a car with an RPG and have all the metal bend and tear realistically with all the fragments of car and warhead having accurate ballistics and penetration.
I imagined playing in dense jungle with mortars raining down, sometimes hitting the canopy producing a hail of deadly splinters.

Now I expect nothing, I have little hope for the future especially when you look at and consider GTA IV sole 8.5 million copies in the first month while GTA V sold 11.2 million copies in the first 24 hours.
The casual masses don't want good games with attention to detail, they want a large marketing campaign.

The future was quite some time ago

I should also mention EfT has some great attention to detail on their gun models, specifically with animations.

Slavs are fucking magic.

Games made by people who love gaming and also appreciate those nice jobs.

My problem with EfT is the MMO / lack of SP. I think they have seriously misjudged their target market by leaving SP out.

If you are into gunporn games you should also check this out. The video is old as fuck, the kikestart is done and they are about to go early access.

Here is a more recent video, it's the only one I could find that isn't over a year old.

Because cover system glues you on the wall and makes you invincible, allowing players to carefully aim their shots with incredible slow analog sticks, while crouch and lean systems require the most base sense of spacial awareness that normalfags lack (see also the prevalence of breadcrumb trails and floating markers in every fucking game nowadays).

Is this Escape From Tarkov game some multiplayer game like DayZ? Because I just checked their pre order page and they have a lot of bullshit in there that indicates the game will suck. Pre order to start with more money and bigger inventory for example sounds cancer.

There have been an user that is really enthusiastic about it to the point I'm suspicious. The gunporn looks solid but MMO and pre-order bonus doesn't sound promising. I'll do what I always do and remain pessimistic until I see the final product.

I am generally not a fan of MMO's, so there is no way that I will pre order it or buy it after release.

Half Life 1 did this

Normalfags like you are the real cancer that's killing videogames.

Regardless, videogames aren't the only entertainment medium that's gotten progressively worse over the past few years.

MOTHERFUCKING CHECKED!

checked

There's also plenty of better examples of technology in Hitman than the cockroaches

FUCKING WHY WORMS WERE FUCKING GREAT FUCKING WHY

Does anyone have an undub of MGS2? I would love to try it but the voice acting/direction makes my skin crawl. Assuming of course it's any better in Japanese.

what

why would you even bother replying you low energy newfag? At least ask for clarification in a non-derisive, intelligent manner

GET OUT, REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

user i think you might have autism my dude

They don't "add" a filter just to make things browner for no reason, it's a protective coating on the camera lens.

FUCKING NORMALFAGS GET THE FUCK OUT OF MY BOARD REEEEEEEEEEE

Those screenshots look like dog shit. Did you even look past the gun models?

Does it track +1 or is all the detail wasted?

The video tries super hard to make GTA IV look good, but GTA V is just so much better. I was really blown away by the quality of the simulation and art. It's almost the best GTA - the story isn't nearly as good as SA but it's otherwise better than SA.

GTA Online would have huge too were it not for their networking team having completely failed. Peer to peer, no region settings, difficulties chatting, poorly thought through matchmaking, ridiculous connection times, bugs everywhere, etc.. It's worth trying out heists to see what raids with cars would look like, but be prepared to spend far more time dealing with bad technology than the heist itself.

You people are idiots. This kind of conspiracy bullshit is the first sign of normalfag retardation. I bet you watch Ancient Aliens too.

Care to give any examples?

For me GTA IV is superior due to:
crouching instead of cover system
disarming enemies
fire, ambo, cop and taxi missions
more realistic vehicle handling
more detailed vehicle damage
no time-dilation magic so scrubs can stay on the road
a protagonist I actually give a fuck about
parkour

I actually went through a stage where I was buying games without pirating them first for awhile, GTA V convinced me that was a mistake and I haven't done it since.

The AI would also psychically know you were responsible for a crime even if you were in disguise and nowhere near the crime scene

Dude what are you talking about, GTAV has poor simulation. The cars don't have the full physics of the engine pop in until you get a certain distance which is why the AI always does retarded things because you're driving too fast so it causes problems for the physics engine, and the Cops are pretty much magic. The speed is also deceitfully slow.

Humanity is more advanced in biological engineering than mechanical engineering. It's more possible that the first human interstellar vessel with be a living organism than a machine.

You have to feed it and give it ample supplies of something to breathe in order for it to stay alive. Biological machines are even more fantasy then machines for this reason alone because it'll suffocate and/or starve to death and would otherwise be a logistical nightmare. If it's made of organic materials and not be alive then it's essentially a machine made of organic compounds like plastic, yes really plastic.

Is that a mother fucking "Bullet in the head" reference??

All this talk of GTA 4 has got me wanting to play it again but I don't want to deal with windows live and rockstar cancer.
Anyone know where I can get the game with included 1.0.8.0 patch and crack?

That's retarded. The body is nowhere near as energy-efficient as even the most basic of power plants. The first interstellar vessel will probably be some kind of hydrogen ramjet carrying hard drives full of DNA descriptors and the machinery needed to assemble them once it arrives.

igg doesnt have torrents

Then you must be fucking blind.

I wish they produced something similar to IV's Episodes for V instead of focusing on adding car shit to the online.

if your already own the game just use xliveless
and for rockstars thing just play offline

??

Get some fucking glasses you tool.

where the fuck do you see a link for a torrent file instead of all those shitty websites

Well, you're technically right, this is how most medium and large companies operate, but what you're doing there is nothing more than creating a soulless product that will be milked of any possible profits and then promptly discarded for the next big "project".
There's a lot of people here who tend to not be very fond of products that had little to no care put into them, which leads to discussions of neat little additions that show the developers' love for their creation as well as technical prowess to some extent.

Going "oh but it doesn't sell", "it's a waste of money!" doesn't mean that we shouldn't still strive towards better standards, even if just as consumers who demand more.

tl;dr fuck you, don't be a conformist faggot

What the fuck is this shit? That's even worse than having nothing at all.

You're delusional.

If you want a bullshit explanation then say the SMG has a longer barrel = more powder gets burned and puts more energy into the bullet before it leaves the barrel = bigger hole.

I know number wise it's not actually that significant shut up.

There are only 2 reasons people will put int the effort to keep improving technology.
1. It has a noticeable effect on sales making it more profitable to add more detail.
2. The developer wants to make their game match the vision they have and don't care that it isn't how to maximize shekels. This also relies on them not being forced to change their game by a publisher and this is why I prefer kikestarter / early access over the old model of get a publisher or make a tiny low budget game.

ENOUGH
I am sick of retards reposting this video and following it as fact

1.) The GTA V side isn't even running at max settings, making it a non Apples to Apples comparison

2.) GTA IVs physics are very clearly, as seen in the video, significantly less realistic than GTA Vs. The gravity in IV is much too light a floaty. In real life corpses don't ragdoll 50 feet when you tap them

3.) The AI in V is more realistic. NPCs will still do grips onto the door handles, its just not as common

4.) One major thing IV lacked is dynamic range. So much so that you needed mods to display any color other than grey, beige, and dark green

Does GTA IV do some things better? Absolutely, its bullshit they got rid of the food mechanic, and while giving NPCs less health in GTA V did make it feel more realistic, it makes for much less interesting gameplay than GTA IV. The same goes for opting for much tighter sporty car handling over GTA IVs high suspension floaty handling. Its better for cornering but makes for less interesting gameplay

What people need to understand though is there is no objective reason to say IV is better than V. V did many things better than IV did as IV did some things better than V did. This creates another "Zelda Cycle" situation where you will always have contrarian retards claiming the last one is subjectively better. I remember when IV first came out retards were saying it sucked compared to San Andreas because of its smaller map, and no dynamic range. V gave us both these things and now people are complaining about these aspects. Fuck everyting

As you pointed out this is entirely subjective and for me ditching crouch in favor of a cover system made V subjectively terrible for me as it greatly simplifies a core gameplay mechanic.

Are you stupid or blind?

Thats fine, and I can respect that. I just hate smug retards who post that video like its a means to an end for an argument.

And for 1, there would be a noticeable effect on sales if the people buying the products cared or even had the knowledge of these finer details. and 2 doesn't happen very often because decisions are made by committe far too often (usually due to the same publisher involvement that you mentioned), the so called "suits" involvement on the project usually dampening the creative vision of those involved in it's development.
I already know about these things and that they're unlikely to change anytime soon, and if they do, it might even be for the worse.
Doesn't mean that I'll stop complaining :^)

It has brought a lot of dissapointment so far, but I see what you mean, it at least leaves a chance for someone to make something good, which is more than what can be said about other methods.

QUALITY smug

both
google helped me tho, the torrents are on a seperate site apparently

damn im stupid, i looked at the site again and THERE IS A LARGE BUTTON FOR THE TORRENT SITE IN THE TOP
i want to die

Cute pic. Got more?

Holy shit, that hack learned how to draw more than one face!

I always loved the 1st person aspects of breakdown. Having to manually pick up ammo, and all the small interacts like alarms and phones. It's also one of the few games I know to do hand to hand fighting in a significantlly good way in first person. It's also the ONLY game I know off the top of my head to have first person drinking and animations, as well as first person throw up.

I can't for the life of me remember the Korean finger painting show that that webm was from user. Is it monogatari? I'm starting to forget things.

GTA V

I said off the top of my head user, I didn't say my brain is a quad core.

No it doesn't the eyes of the characters in base metro 2033 are like fucking spotlights

guys I thought we were supposed to be going back to the good universe now that Trump won. I'm tired of this one where people will eat shit with a smile.

Maybe it takes time? Hasn't even been inaugurated yet.

you can play games made by conservatives right now. rockstars will not support them

Sorry to break it to you guys but POTUS =/= dictator, in fact the US political system is designed specifically to stop this from being the case.

All he can really do is stall the grand plan by up to 8 years before another career politician comes in and oils the wheels of corruption once more.

I thought it was funny enough that Watch Dogs had trains that stopped on a dime and rolled on tracks with 90 degree turrns, but Mafia 3 doesn'te even have them!

Allied Assault

Shiet nigga who dat b in da wall der?

Does Binary Domain have co-op?

Look, I am alright with a conspiracy theory, but they have to make sense.
If you were to fake a picture of just a landscape and some rocks, why would you make props and not use actual rocks?
And quite a bit of space shizzle is rather easy to verify. You can see shit like the moon pretty well with a telescope. You can know salelites were sent into space because of shit like GPS. Or ask older people about sputnik which they could hear on radio. Quite a lot is easy to verify. Does that mean we have been to the moon? Perhaps not, but its certainly there, we have certainly gotten electronic shit into space, so why couldn't we have sent a robot to some other planet and get pictures sent back?

The worst conspiracy nuts were those claiming the burning of a guy in that one isis video was fake. Feel free to claim the organisation is just a puppet show from some (((government))), but there is no good reason why such an entity would digitaly add flames to some video instead of just having actually burned a sandnigger, which would be easier and leave fewer traces to hide.

Feels like I'm in the world itself while I'm watching this

I am still filled with anger at that. Fuck that intern and fuck CN for not putting something over that picture to preserve it better.

did someone use MSpaint to trace over a walled pencil drawing to show what was there? and show how some faggot drew a grinner potato in marker right over an original cowboy bebop sketch?

is that what im looking at? is this what happened? ANSWER ME.

yes someone just line traced Spike to show that he was there. The original is very faded.

(checked)
That game was coop heaven. I played it with my brother for years.
He was driving, I was shooting. Some of the best memories I have ever had. You could shoot out the tires of civillian cars and make them move out of the way that way, but it would require lots of practice to not accidentally hit the car itself and make it turn to the right (as the driver attempts to pull over) instead of to the left (if you hit one of the left tires) and out of your way.

To bo fair how the fuck would you know it's spike just by a crappy pencil sketch? It looked like generic anime face to me (which it is because anime is a crappy "art"style) until I saw the text on the side. I like Cowboy Bebop but come on. Label the fucking thing if it's that important.

that would be why people are angry at CN for not preserving it in any way. a simple layer of seal would fix this.

Holy shit I fucking lost it right there.

Even funnier is how the air cannon doesn't even launch projectiles. You fire it and nothing comes out. Meanwhile in DR1 you get a fucking ball bouncing.
If anything, that video should be a Dead Rising 1 trailer.

Yes I believe so

Yeah binary domain was really nice, shame SEGA is still retarded and the mouse input has some extre autistic kind of acceleration while being gta 4-tier in skippin gpixels.

10 second load times > 6 minute load times