Nipponese Learning Thread: Straight Outta 2016 Edition

So, you wanna learn the Nipponese, huh? Well, you've come to the right thread. You know the drill; All of the relevant resources are available below. It's not an official list or anything, just an OP I threw together from items taken from previous threads. If you have any suggestions on how this list can be improved, then please don't hesitate to say something.
Learn the Kana. Start with Hiragana and then move on to Katakana. Yes, you need both, and yes stroke order is important. Use Realkana or Kana Invaders for spaced repetition. Alternatively, you can use the Anki deck, but I'd recommend the first two. Tae Kim has a Kana diagram on his website, and you can use KanjiVG for pretty much any character.
You have to learn vocabulary and grammar in order to speak and understand the language. Some will tell you to grind the Core2k/6k deck until you're blue in the face, others will tell you that grammar is more important. Truth is, you need both, but it doesn't really matter which one you decide to do first. You're teaching yourself here, so you move at your own pace and do what you're most receptive to. If you want grammar first, then Tae Kim has a great introductory grammar guide, there are numerous grammar related videos in user's all-in-one-Anki-package, IMABI has an active forums and an abundance of information on grammar, and there's always YouTube if you're lazy. On the other hand, if you want to learn Kanji first, then grab the Core2k/6k and grind until you're blue in the face. For mnemonics, see Kanji Damage.
That's what these threads are for aside from the obligatory shitposting. You shouldn't assume that anyone here knows more than you, but there are anons here who are willing to help. Try to find shit out on your own, for fuck's sake, but if you're stumped, then maybe someone will have something to say that can point you in the right direction.

Threadly reminder:
YOU CAN LEARN JAPANESE

Resources
DJT guide: docs.google.com/document/d/1H8lw5gnep7B_uZAbHLfZPWxJlzpykP5H901y6xEYVsk/edit#
Anki and Decks
Anki: ankisrs.net/
user's all-in-one Anki learning package: mega:///#!14YTmKjZ!A_Ac110yAfLNE6tIgf5U_DjJeiaccLg3RGOHVvI0aIk
Hiragana and Katakana deck: ankiweb.net/shared/info/1632090287
Core2k/6k deck: mega:///#!QIQywAAZ!g6wRM6KvDVmLxq7X5xLrvaw7HZGyYULUkT_YDtQdgfU
KanjiDamage deck: ankiweb.net/shared/info/748570187
Websites and Apps
Realkana: realkana.com/
Kana Invaders: learnjapanesepod.com/kana-invaders/
List of all Core2k/6k content: core6000.neocities.org/
KanjiVG stroke order diagrams: kanji.sljfaq.org/kanjivg.html
Tae Kim's Guide to Japanese: guidetojapanese.org/learn/
IMABI: imabi.net/
Forvo: ja.forvo.com/
KanjiDamage: kanjidamage.com/
[YouTube Videos]
Namasensei: youtube.com/watch?v=nqJ5wU4FamA&list=PL9987A659670D60E0
JapanesePod101: youtube.com/user/japanesepod101/videos
KANJI-Link: youtube.com/watch?v=nOXuIYVzyL4&list=PLE6S_Q0SX_mBtzG17ho7YER6vmzCPJ3B4
Japanese Ammo with Misa: youtube.com/channel/UCBSyd8tXJoEJKIXfrwkPdbA/playlists
Japanese VideoCast: youtube.com/user/LingoVideocast/videos

Other urls found in this thread:

pastebin.com/w0gRFM0c
jisho.org
mega.nz/#!aBF1TJYJ!D7Lkamt_oa6QlkMX4k0e7nDRu3qwacyyuoyxvbSego8
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_kanji_by_stroke_count
tokyo.craigslist.jp/search/rnr?lang=en&cc=us
web.archive.org/web/20120331185250/http://japanese.lingualift.com/
google.co.jp/intl/ja/ime/
google.com/ime/
tokyo.craigslist.jp/rnr/5936970617.html
freejapanesefont.com/gn-kill-gothic-u-download/
freejapanesefont.com/light-novel-pop-free-font-download/
freejapanesefont.com/nico-kaku-free-download/
tofugu.com/japanese/learn-hiragana/
amaterasu.tindabox.net/guide/Conjugation.php
youtube.com/watch?v=nHzB_W-Xi7Q&index=20&list=PLId-mP2ZkaEAiLo95aj2-yng41BnhWvE9
store.playstation.com/#!/ja-jp/ゲーム/エビコレ-アマガミ/cid=JP0117-PCSG00291_00-AMAGAMIPLUSAPPRI
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

How do you say "2B a master of ass and tiddies" in moonrunes so I can send it to Japanese moonman?

Reminder

Thank you for the links, OP, I'm slacking lately and my japanese textbook isn't helpful enough.
Not like I can learn japanese on my own anyway

I was informed otherwise.

You were lied to.

Can you fucks translate Rapeman?
ok thanks

About to start today's reviews. Post 'em faggots. Let's see how well your dicks wave.

god damn, how long have you been it, user?

オマンコを見せて

Started with Memrise in March of 2015. Moved all my courses/progress into Anki a couple of months ago because I was sick of Memrise's shit.
So all up I've been going for almost 2 years now. 毎日復習するよ。好きになるまで!

All the "suspended" cards are due to the way Memrise courses import into Anki.

You better not be lying!

I have only been at it for 15 days. It's bretty fun, though. It's encouraging, to think that I'll be able to speak the Nipponese by just doing Anki for an hour or two a day for about a year or so. Gives me hope.

Would I lie to you, user?

Anki reps will help your vocab/kanji retention. They'll do nothing for grammar/listening/speaking/etc…
If you're not already, grab a textbook like Genki for grammar.

Doing daily reps, studying Genki and eventually doing a few speaking lessons online I was able to get around Japan for 3 weeks speaking Jap well enough to befriend shitloads of people. I'm the user in previous threads telling stories of the izakayas I went into at night and the friends I made (including the owner of one in Sugamo).
Best feeling is walking into a restaurant over there; having them hand you the English menu because you're white; then ordering in Japanese. Blows their minds every time. It's great.

Any idea where I can grab that without paying for it? For grammar, I've just been watching YouTube videos and reading TaeKim. So far, seems to be working just fine. 俺は日本語の勉強が大好き!

I have the second edition with the textbooks, workbooks, audio files for listening comprehension, answer keys and so on. I got it from animebytes, if you have an account, get it there.
I'd upload it to the share thread's vola if you gave me the time. It' a gig big and I have shit internet, so it'll take a while.

t. someone that hasn't put any effort to studying past kana.

Japanese is easy. Kanji is not.

That'd be great, maybe upload it to MEGA so we can add it to the OP.

Do you think If I learn Jap I can hook up with cute Japanese boys? How are they to foreigners?

I got mine from the old pastebin that used to circulate. Lemme see if I can track it down.

Find it soon.

Found it. It's hidden in the old DJT guide: pastebin.com/w0gRFM0c

Can't guarantee the links still work, but that's where I got mine from. Just search that pastebin for "genki". Grab textbook 1&2 and the answer key. The latter is to see if you got shit right as there'll be no teacher to assess you.
For the free-form sections without official answers, I suggest using something like lang-8 and getting a native to evaluate your answers.

WRONG.

Thanks. those links still work, but they're separated into numerous .zips.

Upload yours anyway, it'd be more convenient to have them all in one package

That's right, you can't learn Japanese. I, however, can.

I canceled it, so I have to start over.

Ignore the audio CDs, you don't need them. Only zips you need are Genki I, Genki II, and answer key. Three zips.

Well, I mean if it's too much trouble, then don't worry about it. I can just add them to the OP.

了解

post mearii

Wow. I actually look like the guy in the picture. I feel honored.

Nobody wants to talk to you in any language

Here. Have what I drew in my exercise book forever ago when I finished Genki I.

You still don't have his name filtered?

What a slut.

Yes

What's a decent ネトゲ that doesn't require a vpn?

No such thing.

more mearii

Somebody needs to remind him. He'll probably give up eventually

He'll give up faster if everyone ignores him. Namefags only care about attention.

THIS FAGGOT KICKED YOU OUT OF JAPAN

懐かしい。。。メアリー。。。
お酒は真の友なんだけど。

user you have problems.

What's that kanji after "takeshi" ? Can't read it… Like, san or kun I'd assume ?

It's くん. Same kanji is used for きみ, as in "you".
君 if you wanna look it up.

Thanks a lot user !
Reminds me, any way to install a japanese keyboard ? I see so many people type japanese with their usual keyboard, how does that even work ?

Look at this terrible photoshop. Who's going to believe this shit?

If you're on Windows you can add the Jap keyboard in the keyboards section of control panel. Win + Space to switch inputs and Alt + ` to switch to hiragana.
Requires a restart usually.

Also, if you click on "radicals" next to the search here: jisho.org you can look up kanji you don't know. An extremely useful thing.

Why are you helping it?

holy shit that guy's as tall as the library

mega.nz/#!aBF1TJYJ!D7Lkamt_oa6QlkMX4k0e7nDRu3qwacyyuoyxvbSego8
Here, pass is cant
Tell me if it works or not.

So are Japanese people really this overly polite, or did I just fuck up?

Do you need to ask?

It works. Much appreciated, user.

What's the best way to look up Kanji you don't recognize?
I've making do with Win 10's default japanese keyboard on a fuji laptop, but Win 10's kind of an unstable pain in the ass.

I was using those search-by-particle websites before that, which was a goddamn nightmare.

Can't think of any better solutions, though.

I've always searched by radicals on jisho. Works well enough for me.

Count strokes: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_kanji_by_stroke_count

KanjiTomo. If that doesn't work, search by radical on Romajidesu.

Stroke number gets harder to pin down the more complex a Kanji gets, and with search by radical dictionaries many of the complex kanji aren't completely indexed, or worse the character you're looking up is too small to see.

Sounds worth a look. Thanks.

Usually if it's a compound word, I'll look up the identifiable kanji and leave a * where the unknown one is. Then try and pick it out from the list of possible candidates.
Very situational, but it's worked for me before.

I just memorized Kana. What should I do to make sure it stays memorized and what could I do to learn more?

Did you really not read that exact question located in the sticky or are you fucking with us?

Is there a deck for Anki that only has Jouyou kanji? Also, will I be able to read muh manga if I only know Jouyou kanji (plus grammar)?

I've always used the Shirabe Jisho phone app. It let's you just draw the kanji without hunting around for radicals all the time.

Thanks a lot, hun ! Also for kanjis, I think I'll need a bit more work before getting there. I'm getting alright with grammar but definitely need more vocabulary before even caring about the various ways to write it.

Who is the question?

Why is stroke order important?
If you are typing on pc and whatnot, then what is the point of learning the order of strokes?

Don't take shortcuts.

The short of it is that if you don't use the proper stroke order, your writing can be illegible. If you don't learn stroke order, then you'll never be able to write. This is fine for someone who only wants to learn enough to read their favorite manga/watch their favorite anime/play their favorite game, but that's a bad attitude because you're not learning the language to its fullest potential.
Kanji are chinese characters.

No, they are adapted from Chinese characters. Kanji stroke order/count is sometimes different than Chinese.

Well I meant that they originated from China, thus they are Chinese characters. Yes, you're right, they're adaptations of Chinese characters, so therefore the Chinese rules may not always apply, but the point of the video was to demonstrate that 1) there are rules involved in writing kanji, and 2) if you don't follow the rules you won't be able to efficiently write. If you watch the video, they say that in so many words.

Has anyone tried Rossetta Stone?
I'm thinking about pirating and trying it out.

Don't

Question.
Out of the following languages which would be the most outright useful for the average American to learn?

Spanish
Russian
Chinese (Cantonese/Mandarin)
Japanese
Persian/Farsi

I've been contemplating learning a second language, but the problem would be usage of course.

Rosetta stone is kind of a fraud.

The problem is they teach you like a 'kid' which means they don't speak a lick of your mother tongue and simply babble the new language to you 100% of the time. This works for children as they are more plastic to the principle but fails to work for adults whom, almost always, use their mother tongue as a 'reference' when they learn a new language.

Don't learn Chinese or Spanish unless you want to be spending a lot of time around spics or gooks.

Hope you like hearing things like "otoko no hito wa hashitte imasu".
It's trash.

This is just my opinion, but a language's utility is not necessarily dependent on whether or not it's marketable to, say, prospective employers, for example. In other words, there's no such thing as a "useless language" if you can manage to get something out of it. If you want something to sell to someone, you look at the most popular languages in your marketplace. In the USA, Spanish is the second most common language, so therefore you'd probably get more out of learning it than Chinese, for example, because it would allow you to interact with more people and, from a business perspective, this can make you more eligible for various positions.

Spanish at least until we build the wall
Chinese but you don't wanna learn Chinese
Russian so you can go to war with those evil hackers
Japanese
Persian

Or at least that's what I would say based on where I live, not sure about the population where you are. Really, if you're in this thread what you should be asking yourself is how interested you are in weebshit. To the average American, learning Japanese is probably one of the most useless things they could ever waste their time on, but the average imageboard user could wind up considering it the most useful skill they ever learned.

Also one thing to bear in mind is that I'm pretty sure Japanese is literally the hardest language for a native English speaker to learn, just narrowly beating out Russian, though that's probably mostly just because of the Kanji. A Romantic or especially Germanic language would be easy-peasy.

I tried it. It's garbage. It's basically

Farsi is a very niche language spoken only in Iran/other countries that made up ancient Persia, such as afghanistan, azerbaijan, etc.
I am from an Iranian background and I would definitely not suggest learning it. There are Iranian/Afghan minorities in every big country (Australia, Canada, US, Germany, etc, as they migrate out to find a better life outside that islamic shithole) but they all speak the language native to that country too so I wouldn;t worry about it.

Learn something cool, like Japanese if you want to play vidya and watch animu, or spanish/chinese so you can talk to new people of different minorities.

I'm an ausfag so we have a shitload of chinese here. the ones who move here are usually very polite and respectful, something seldom seen in modern australians so I enjoy talking to them.

You do you.

Are you sure you all aren't just such massive cunts that you make them seem nice in comparison?

As someone who lived and worked in a mostly Chinese suburb of Sydney I can guarantee that politeness and respect is a facade about as deep as the head on the beer they order.
Provided they're mainland Chinese that is. Dudes from Hong Kong are fucking great.

Hong Kongese are kickarse. It's adorable how a complete fresh off the boat HK migrant will always somehow sniff out other HK migrants.

As for mainland, all my interactions with Chinese have been with others my age (early/mid twenties) and of my demographic (students). I've found them to be very nice people if not one dimensional. I feel like they have an inherent distrust for people who aren't like them.

Nah. It's mostly culutral differences. When you're in a country like china, you don't mean shit. You put the good of others above yourself. Here in aus, everyone has a high opinion of themselves. We're generally very opinionated on shit we know nothing of, act like we're always right and rarely consider others.

So maybe you are right. Seeing an asian be the only guy who gets up for an old person on the train is refreshing.

You'd have a better time trying to learn Japanese from nothing but anime

Spanish is the only one that would have any use for the average American, since it's the second most used language in the US behind English.

In general I think Japanese is the most useful though, since their export of culture/entertainment is much higher than all those other countries.

I'll quit my job soon.
I realize my decision is risky but I don't give a damn
I'm still young, I can still follow my dreams.
It's risky as fuck but isn't it worse never having tried to make your dreams come true?

I'll do it no matter what and you guys can do it too if you are determined.

godspeed lil weeb

ご武運をお祈りします

Do you live in Finland?

If the last number of my ID is higher than a 5 I'll start learning nipponese

theres always next week

but japan is on the other side of the world which means down is up so 3 is higher than 5

Just go start kana you shit it's so easy you can master it in no time by studying like a half-hour every other day

I'll start tomorrow user, it's late and I need sleep like mad

Also I've got a new ID because I'm on phone

??? Post numbers are in hex, c > 5.

いかんです

中国是最好国
日本人都是粪头人

ching chong wang bang

你不是一个人

クソ中国人出て行け

Sad thing is I'm only a 中文系的学生 and although I know what I'm getting myself into now, there are no brakes on the 中文火车

That's my plan, too, user.
Finishing up my job in a couple of months, then going to see if I can find teaching jobs over there available. If not, I'll likely fall back on the more expensive and stressful working holiday option and find somewhere internally.

Unless you're from one of those countries that does working holidays or other visas that let you just stroll right in and work, I would hold off coming here until you have some or all of the following: a 4-year degree, business level Japanese skills, a sparkling/outgoing personality, charismatic speaking skills, impeccable professional work history with no gaps, experience in language instruction, plus be white with average or better looks.

t. White American Male with 4-year degree and JLPT N1 in Japan on a 90-day tourist visa who can't find work, ama

Anyone I've ever talked to reckons you only need N2 if you're applying for something that isn't teaching English.
Got a bachelor's degree, conversational Japanese, outgoing and can be quite charismatic apparently, held two jobs over 8 years with like a few month gap between them. Plus I'm currently doing sys-admin type shit for a hosting company and western IT workers are apparently in high demand. Not that I want to do IT, but it's an option.

Have you tried looking on gaijinpot and shit, user?
I met two guys over there while I was just chilling in an izakaya in Tokyo. One's been a programmer there for 9 years, the other just rocked up to a French school one day while he was on holiday there and was like "yo, I'm French".

To be fair, I'm lucky in that I'm Australian. So I can enter Japan for 90 days with no visa, or get a once off "working holiday" visa which lasts 6 months; or 12 if I manage to extend it over there.

I'm currently in Kasukabe (Lucky Star, Crayon Shin-chan) in Saitama prefecture, about a 30-60 minute train ride from Tokyo, depending on what part. Gaijinpot and Daijob I check daily, but there's a few other sites I check now and then. Lately it's just been searching for companies and emailing them directly.

I really just need that working visa at this point. I've got friends here, one who is a realtor who will rent to foreigners with no key money required, and a girlfriend too. Everyone is really genuinely helpful too. People I meet in bars will exchange contact info and tell me they could totally get me into their company… IF I had a working visa.

I've been to Tokyo countless times but really just for the day. I should see about hitting up some of the foreigner bars for leads though.

Why? Got Zoroastrians around?

Shit, son. That's a nice set-up.
Every time I looked at the working holiday option getting actual housing was totally off the table to foreigners unless you had a work visa that guaranteed you were in the country for at least 24 months. If anything that's the biggest issue I have right now.

I guess. I got lucky by having a friend from university who teaches English here. She rents a largish apartment with an extra room where I'm staying. Her circle of friends is basically my circle of friends now.

Housing is a bitch, yeah. I'd say look into those tourist hostels or whatever for people on holiday and such. You just need to find something that isn't going to burn through all of your money before you can get an employer to cosign for an apartment or put you up in company housing. I would think that a 6-month working holiday visa would be long enough for a company to decide if they want to take you on full-time and sponsor a working visa (1-3 years).

Btw, do you know of any foreigner/expat forums or anything that are actually helpful and not full of bitter English teachers who hate Japan and you and don't want anyone else coming here. Also wtf is this tokyo.craigslist.jp/search/rnr?lang=en&cc=us it's like an English language exchange meets Holla Forums

no, i'm australian, born and raised. im not surprised that there are iranians in nordic countries though - i call them iranians though they only ever call themselves persians.

Alright, in 6 months I'm fucking off to japan to spend a couple of weeks with some cutie japanese girl.

Realistically, what level of proficiency can I expect to obtain within that time frame?

If you knuckle down, you should be able to hold a very very basic conversation. As in like:
"It's hot, eh?"
"Do you wanna get something to drink?"
Saying that, though. Two weeks solid with a native by your side your conversation skills will improve pretty rapidly from there.

Theoretically you could grind just conversational Japanese. But it'd be like learning out of one of those "lern 2 draw" books. You've got that 3/4 profile of a dog down perfect, but you're fucked if asked to draw it from the front. Fundamentals are important and take time.

I should add we message everyday in a mix of english/japanese since she's self learning english as well as having voice chats occasionally.

Right now I'm trying to get through taekims guide but I find his style/explanations a bit confusing.

Oh, I thought you were starting from scratch. If you're already getting regular practice in and actively learning then yeah, nah, you're fine mate. You'll have a great time over there.

Minna no Nihongo is the best textbook. Fight me.

It is easier to "handwrite" them on google's translator. It is the most accurate I have found when it comes to figuring out what you have written.

how does this garbage belong on Holla Forums ?

The best video games are in Japanese only.

I wonder.

pick one

How the fuck do LOL threads, waifu threads, webm threads, or filename threads allowed on Holla Forums? Fuck you, that's how.

You forgot 4am threads.

Question about diacritics. What are they? should I learn them at all? They're not that hard. Also, what with the discrepancies in these apps about them?

And draw threads, and political discussion, and you could make the argument that /agdg/ doesn't belong here because it has its own board, and gamergate, and any fucking generals you can think of like /ogc/ or overwatch or whatever the fuck. At least we're trying to learn something and improve ourselves that could be of value to others on the board. Same with /agdg/, and maybe draw threads. The rest is cancer, though, but complaining about that shit is for a meta thread.

Yes
They're just kana that are pronounced slightly different. The little lines on the top right of each symbol are called dakuten, and they just indicate that you should pronounce the kana with a more flattened or stunted inflection.
There are none, sometimes when people write out romaji they add or omit certain english characters that they feel are more or less representative of the sounds, but it's not big deal, because the actual sounds are always the same. You need to remember that [づ] is just tsu with a hard z sound that is more pronounced than [ず]

They're little marks that change the sound of the word. You HAVE to learn them, and they are easy to pick anyways.
The two scratches changes:
K > G
S > Z
T > D
H > B
The circle:
H > P

So, it's a retarded stuff like apostrophes in spanish. But easier.
A nkther question, I can't figure how to pronounce the ones with the Z. In spanish the Z is pretty similar to the S. Dunno how it works in other languages.

guys I'm gonna do it

I'm gonna learn japanese

'z' as in English 'z'. Spanish 'z' tend to be soft, like English 's' sounds. For instance "zapatos" sounds like "sapataos". In Japanese they're hard 'z', so [づ] is pronounced "zu", but you would place a stronger emphasis on the 'z' at the beginning. [ず} is also "zu" but you don't place as much emphasis on the 'z'. For word examples, see 「水」 [みず] [mizu] (water) and 「綴く」 [つづく] {tsudzuku] (continue or follow).

OH SHIT, HE'S SERIOUS!

Checked. Take this to help on your studies

Not on my watch.

begone slut

I've been trying to learn the N5 kanji but I just can't remember half of them no matter what. Got any techniques for actually remembering these things?

I dont understand, what does this girl mean and why does she want me to not succeed

Well I use mnemonics. For example:
「春」 [haru] = spring
「夏」 [natsu] = summer
「秋」 [aki] = autumn
「冬」 [huyu] = winter

I had trouble remember these, so I came up with the phrase are you nuts, I'll kill you to remember them because that's what it sounds like I'm saying when I say them in a row over and over again. I think it also helps if you group concepts together; in the example, all of the words are used to represent phases of the year/seasons. Failing that, I have no fucking clue.

They're "usually" voiced versions of that sound (except h > b > p). So if you say "s" and "z" and hold your throat, you should see the difference. You're effectively saying "s" but also making your vocal cord vibrate, turning it into a "z". Thus "t" becomes "d", "k" becomes "g", etc…
That's also why sometimes you'll see the little tenten added to weird shit like あ in manga. It's a way of showing extra force being applied to the sound.

Use anki or memrise or whatever. Study them every day. You will fuck-up a lot. Study them every day. You will start to fuck-up less and less. Study them every day.
For kanji, you should look into kanjidamage or "Remembering the Kanji" for a good way of initially learning them. Breaks them down into radicals and gets you to tell stories based on the radicals to remember them.

"you cant learn japanese" is a poor translation (not sure if its a translation issue or just something else that I'm too autistic to define/name) of "you've been having trouble learning japanese, so let me help"

Holy shit that's… actually brilliant you asshole.

fucking wew, thats hilarious

Nah, she's the mascot of a learning site that said "You can't learn Japanese alone!"

I'm sure you can imagine how that turned into the CAN'T meme.
web.archive.org/web/20120331185250/http://japanese.lingualift.com/

Also doesn't seem like Wayback properly archived the image.

Where did you meet her?

Finally added N2 deck to anki. At a rate of 20 cards a day it'll take me roughly 230 days to learn them all. Likely a bit less as I've probably already learnt a few of them from other sources over time, and the obvious English loanwords can be ignored.

Then there's the kanji readings for them all over again. ;_;

You remember them by using them on a daily basis. Failing that, drill them daily using a spaced repetition flash card program like you should already be using.

Don't do this shit, seriously.
Clever. Now come up with ones for the other 20-50k words you need to know to be reasonably fluent. You guys looking for fast memorization and cram techniques need to take a step back and think about how the human brain works. You "learn" something by creating networks in the brain around it. Let's take 春 for example. You've seen it written in some shitty textbook like haru = spring. You hear it spoken, and your brain links the sound pattern "はる" to whatever you have already. You see the kanji "春" and again, the image is linked to the network you've got going. You come across the word 季節 and find that 春 is one of them, so a link is formed between these two words. You see it used in a lot of different sentences and your brain picks up on the contexts and usage patterns and shit. You write out the kanji 100 times in your notebook, and the stroke order and muscle movements are linked to the rest, and so on. See what I'm getting at? Do you really want some nonsense English phrase like
being a permanent addition to that neural net? Having it come to mind every time you hear or see the word? Or worse, having to think of that phrase before being able to recall any of the seasons?

The whole point of mnemonics is they're a great beginner's tool because you don't have a large enough vocab to base shit on.
These days I find it easy to remember shit because I know enough kanji/vocab that I don't need mnemonics. 大気 is atmosphere. Big + feeling/spirit/etc… Uses the common readings and they're both words I know. Piss-easy. Don't need to link it to anything I know in English to get me started.
I can't remember a good majority of the mnemonics I first used as I know the words naturally now. But when you have no vocab to start with and your brain thinks in English, they're a great starting step.

Saying that, though. I agree with you once one's vocab is big enough. But I find you just sort of naturally stop needing that crutch more and more.
いつまでも、「複雑」ってのちょっと同じな英語言葉を覚えるんだけど。発音が「fuck that」ってみたいな。:V

Take this from someone who is currently practicing writing kanji again (and embarrassingly, some of the kana recently) because I need to fill out applications, write 履歴書, and other forms in Japanese. Fuck, a couple of weeks ago I was getting a point card at the local dry cleaner and she saw me hesitating, and she's like カタカナで書いてもいいです and I still had to ask how to write a character. Moral of the story, if you don't use it you lose it. In my case, it was how to write Japanese since I haven't since graduation, but in other people's cases it could just as easily be kanji readings and shit.

I know that feel. It doesn't matter how much you practice them. If there's a long enough gap, you will struggle to remember. It's a whole other skill entirely.

YOU CAN'T LEARN JAPANESE

Eh maybe just starting out. This kind of shit though:
I really can't get behind.

On an unrelated note though, I found a good source of beginning reading material at a local book store the other day. They have this huge section of kid's books and manga, stupid shit noone's ever heard of, but it's all for kids ages 3-10 or so and is simple, with pictures and furigana and all that. I might go over there today and take a picture of it since I forget what they were called.

When you were here visiting, did you go to a Book Off? That store is my shit. I go to the ones in 大宮, 越谷, or 秋葉原 like every week, scoring mad books and games for 100-500 yen, blurry pic related.

Much like the vocab I can't remember most of the stories I learnt the kanji with nowadays because I just see it and know it. To the point where a few of them when I'm doing my reviews I'll come up with the Jap before the English meaning in my head. Happens a lot with "違".

Shit, if you see some good recommends let me know and I might see if I can find them on amazon.jp. Yotsuba and stuff aimed at kids is great for where I'm at.
I saw Book Offs everywhere but didn't really get anything. Only manga I bought were a couple of issues of One Punch Man from a random book shop at Sunshine Mall in 池袋.
Everything is stupid cheap in Japan from the perspective of an Australian salary.

Just out of curiosity, how well do these threads work? Who here can actually speak/read any Japanese, and how much? Is there anyone here who can fully play a Japanese game and at the least get the gist of most of the game?

I'm sure none of these are actually good reads, I was just thinking of scooping up a bunch for 100 yen each at a book off or something, then cutting the spine, scanning, and uploading them. For all the people having trouble going 100% Japanese because they can't read stuff, like I used to see in these threads a month or so ago when I last active. Just an idea I had, though. I don't have a scanner here and not all that much free time right now.

I don't know how well they work for people. I learned on my own and then for a couple years at university. I have my JLPT N1, am currently in Japan and get along well enough; I can play Japanese games, I watch dramas on netflix, I laughed at the shitty variety shows this past new years, I can use the train systems, I can order food at restaurants, I can buy tour bus tickets to 四国 over the internet and pay for them at the local 7-11, I can call the shipping company and tell them to redeliver my package in the afternoon because I wasn't up at 9 when they showed up the first time, I have a Japanese girlfriend who seems legit and isn't a gaijin-hunting slag from 東京, so eh. That said, I knew Japanese since before Holla Forums was even a thing so, all I can really do is share how I learned.

These threads got me my start as I "obtained" Genki textbooks from them and started using a spaced repetition program.
To be honest I basically went on a holiday there early 2015; fucking loved it; was instantly inspired to learn and go back and I haven't missed a day since. These threads were just the tool I used to get me started.
These days they're great to pop in and chat to fellow learners, though.

I went on another holiday Sept. last year and was able to hold a conversation well enough to make friends in izakayas, order shinkansen tickets, order at restaurants, check into hotels, ask at nearly every hotel if it's cool to leave my luggage because I'm early, chat to the bored and cute girl in the ramen museum because she was amazed a white guy spoke Jap.
I can play games very slowly. Can read Yotsuba without any issue, Azumanga Daioh I can read fine though some parts I only get the jist. I can watch unsubbed Azumanga and get the gist, but that's helped by the fact I've seen it before.

That's twenty steps closer to success every day. I want you to remember that there are people in the world who have the same desire as you, to enjoy unique quirky japanese media and culture, but will sooner make an array of excuses rather than a shred of effort.

You are accomplishing something great. Keep it up and you'll savor success which the likes of those lazy people can only ever dream of.

Keep it up fellow ausanon. I have a lot of honest to goodness respect for you.

Okay, here we go

well, I guess not.

you can do it user trust me

So, I just came across 「下さい」. It means please, but for the past 300 characters or so, I've only ever seen it written as 「ください」 in examples. Why is it sometimes written with a kanji and sometimes only written in kana? Is it just because the former is more polite or formal than the latter? Is it fine to use either one, or should I make a point of always using the kanji?

I don't think there is a difference. Hiragana just makes it easier to read.

Some common words have kanji but are usually written in kana instead. Some examples:
流石 「さすが」
綺麗 「きれい」
勿論 「もちろん」
宜しい 「よろしい」

Just keep that in mind so you don't get confused again later.

alright I'm gonna go with the flow, I got dubs three times in a row in 3 other threads so
if dubs I start learning japanoose

guess not :^)

Delet this

Anyone know the difference between 「帰る」and 「戻る」? Anki says they both mean "return, go back" and "return, turn back" respectively. Can be used interchangeably, or do they have similar but distinct meanings?

You are not forced into a situation that requires a specific language

The language you know dictates what situations you engage in.

Best way to practice 日本語?
If I don't practice speaking in broken Nipspeak, I won't get any better.
I don't have any gooks to use as a cocksleeve for speaking broken 日本語 to.

私達に話しませんか。

Doesn't kikewheels know nip?

多分

The time spent masturbating and/or playing shitty online games is certainly more than double that for most people here.

Don't randomly stop doing your reps and start doing them again. Everytime you come back to it the stack will be that much worse, due to the progress you make each time.

If you're drowning in reps, lower the number of reviews per day, do some extra time outside anki with memorization to catch up, and then return to where you were.

A lot of words people write with kana 90% of the time. But people will use the kanji to appear fancy or what have you. There were quite a few up-market type cafes I walked past advertising 珈琲 instead of コーヒー.

You're probably more likely to see it in kanji when it's actually being used to mean 'give' rather than as an auxiliary verb to mean 'please do -'.

Similarly to how when you use いく as an auxiliary verb, if you're using it to indicate continuing action, you use いく, but if you're using it to mean 'go' you'd more likely use 行く.

I don't think this is too strict of a rule so it could just be for no real reason too. If they're handwriting, writing 下さい is quicker than ください is another possible reason.

That's just over 6 years if you do an hour a day. Stop being a faggot.

I've seen a lot of signage where it's written 下さい. Though I'd imagine that's so you recognise and read it faster.

The 88 weeks figure seems to be based on 25 hours a week for 88 weeks straight. Which makes sense if you're studying it at uni or working as a diplomat (which is where that screenshot comes from, I think).
Also that shit isn't black and white. Like I'm not there, yet. But I can still enjoy simple Jap media just fine based on the level I'm at.

Right, just saying that even at that figure he's giving out, that's far from an impossible task.

So 2 hours a day would be 3 years, right? Sorry I haven't mathed in about 2 years.

How should I learn Vocabulary and grammar at the same time? Do I try to learn, lets say, 100 words, then study grammar for a little bit, and then learn some more vocab? OR is there a better method for learning both at the same time?

Similar but distinct meanings. You will only truly grasp the nuance the more you use it - especially if you listen and practice with native speakers.

For example when you're going home for the day you'd say 「家に帰る」 but for when break's over for school you might say 「あぁ、休憩もう終わっちゃた、すまん教室に戻るよ。」

ありがとうございます。

So, it sounds like these two words might be comparable to the difference between 「さよなら」 and 「はい、 じゃあ、 またね」 where the former is used to say longer or more permanent goodbyes and the latter is used between people who expect to see one another soon. Is that about right, or am I way off?

kill yourself you fucking nicefag.

Yep, that's about right. I'll give another example from something I've read.

At work, employee A asks user
This is your bnb and there's nothing unusual with this structure.

However, using 戻る in this context is unnatural - not because it's wrong but it implies that for some reason he had to return home.

「帰る」が直線的な移動であるのに対して、「戻る」はU字型の移動を表していると考えられます。帰る implies a more direct route in comparison to 戻る which insinuates a more indirect U-shaped course

c-can't we all just get along?

Alright, I think I get it. Thank you.

No, the only reason I'm learning Nihongo is to bully gooks.

アイ ウィッル レアッルン ジャパニズ

アイ・ウィール・ラーン・ジャパニーズ*

Yep

Koreans DO deserve bullying

Koreans deserve bullying, the Chinese need to be nuked.

Nihonjin aren't bad people at all. In fact, I actually like the Nihonjin, I've talked with them and most of them seem to like America and are pretty friendly. I feel so bad about my mission to bully the JapGooks but it's my nature. I'd love to return the kindness, but I can't. I'm doomed to be an asshole for eternity.

Trust me, with how fucking cruel children are, any Jap/Gooks will get bullied mercilessly, by both Japs and Gooks.

The first step feels wonderful, anons. I feel like I will do it. Next step is grammar.

あなたは出来る日本語です。

Here's a blurry pic I took of a restaurant near the hotel I stayed at in Nagano. Specialises in horse meat. Place looked real wanky inside so instead I had horse sashimi at a restaurant in Nagano Station.

For the anons that do listening practice, what do you use? I used to watch live TV, but my source got shut down.
Any recommended radio stations? Podcasts?

Do not say "anata" to me you little piece of shit
死ねよ

あ~な~た~♥

i-is this true?

anatawa kusoda!!!!!!! BAKA BAKA KAWAII DESU xDDDDDDDDDD

This seems a challenge.
We are going to muh dik the japs into submission.We will be the niggers of the Asian states, instead of Blacked they'll get Whited, instead of Tyrone and Jamal they will get Otto and Adolf, we don't get welfare, we are going to build Christian churches to spite their ancestors and build marble statues.We will start by recolonizing Finland

No matter where you are in the world, women think they know fucking everything.
やれやれだぜ

too late, they're already browned.

Well, but if we concur that slavs are white, we can just send the millions of people in the Eastern block and we will get squatting japs drinking vodka and playing CSGO in less than a generation.

The writing style is amusing.

sign me up

So anons, how do you write kana on your keyboard? In my phone I downloaded a different keyboard, but even localizing my machine and adding japanese to my keyboard doesn't work.

I don't have a lot of experience, but if it's anything like learning english, you could watch some live TV shows, like tokusatsu, and listen to the words and characters mouths. I think it's perfect because their expressions are usually exaggerated and are easy to understand. Then again, I don't have experience on the japanese side.

If doujins are correct, have fun getting cucked.I want to be loved, though. This sounds terrible. Where did you get this from?
For muh games and for muh weebo stuff.

What if I want citizenship?

I was wondering that since I saw Tokyo Godfathers, but they look like they live in poverty, like they should.

google.co.jp/intl/ja/ime/

I just use my QWERTY keyboard. Japanese is a phonetic language, so it automatically converts all your text to kana.
ライク ソ

windows or google IME.
google.com/ime/
It's what is recommended in the DJT guide, maybe there are other programs you can use. I don't fucking know. If you're on windows, just use the built in IME if you don't trust goolge shit. Also, there's always character map, but good luck with that.

Try press WINDOWS + SPACE, then click the little "A" at the bottom right corner of your screen. It should turn into the ”あ” character.

Just press Alt + ~ to switch between keyboards.

Wow, this saves me about 5 seconds of inconvenience and moving my hands around too much.
ありがとう。

成程。有難う。
It even turn kana into kanji. That's convenient.

I wonder if the Google one is any better besides the botnet, since I was surprised how good it was on Android.

If that's the same keyboard that's on my android, then it's shit because I can't seem to get it to write "糞" in Kanji.

tokyo.craigslist.jp/rnr/5936970617.html

Anyone have genki 1 text book, work book, and answer key on mega?

mega:///#!aBF1TJYJ!D7Lkamt_oa6QlkMX4k0e7nDRu3qwacyyuoyxvbSego8
This has 1, 2 and the answer key, along with all the audio files. If you just want the textbooks, check here
pastebin.com/w0gRFM0c

Thanks, user.

the .zip from the mega link has a password. the password is "cant"

Why did you password it? Now someone is going to have to reupload it when the password is inevitably forgotten.

I didn't, it was . Anyway, I already opened it and have the files on my drive, if worse comes to worst I'll just reupload.

I don't really know what to think of these. Just what the fuck.

Just to remind you that you can't
or copyright strikes or whatever.

I renamed it to "pass is cant" to make it obvious.
Get it added to the OP or a pastebin

Alright, am I typing this right? Any grammar fixes I should be aware of?
日本人、死ねよ!
I plan on spamming it on Japanese sites. I'm still a bit confused about imperative statements in moonrunes.

I'm sure that Japanese's special autistic comma "、" doesn't work like western comma. Pretty sure 日本人死ねよ!is already good but hey i might be wrong. Also, rather than telling nips to die, you should tell kikes and niggers to die instead.

I love that feeling when you're alternating between two cards on anki constantly pressing 1 because you can't remember what you were shown five seconds ago.

I have been studying for 6 months and meet learning goals all the time. I can read Yotsuba with a little difficulty, understand the middleschool-aged girls fairly well in Battle Girl Highschool, understand some tofubeats songs 100%, and understand about half of FFX (basically Rikku, Yuna, and Tidas). I can even pick out a few lines of Dragon's Dogma dialogue. My lang-8 entries are fairly basic, but at least I don't get red marks everywhere anymore. I improve everyday, and it helps with my depression. I study for over 10 hours some days, though. I want to learn Japanese.

I don't have friends either. I use Lang-8 to practice writing with natives. It really helps. I also enrolled in a Nip 101 class for "easy credit" and hopefully some new friends. Late last semester, I randomly sat with a group who happened to be taking 101. They slighted me when I said I was doing a self-study. I ended up answering half their homework, though, because it was so basic. They were struggling through Genki 1.

Does Tae Kim's guide expect me to know some Kanji bejore continuing? If so, besides Anki, what's a good App to learn Kanji?
I was expecting to learn radicals rather than grinding the kanji.

Does anyone here use the Anki android app, or just the pc program?

You don't remember new kanji, you become familiar with them. If you want to remember them, you have to be familiar with them enough that something about them sticks out in your mind. In other words, you have to develop some pattern, and then recognize that pattern. For example:
「結婚」 = marriage. It's pronounced "kekkon" [けっこん]. When I see this symbol, I see the woman radical 「女」, the mister radical 「氏」, and the day radical 「日」 all grouped together.
Marriage is not only a religious ceremony, but a legally binding contract. Contracts are written on special paper, and paper uses the mister radical in 「紙」. In short, Marriage is a day during which you are bound to a woman unless you're a faggot via a contract, that is likely printed on paper.
Not really, you have an abundance of information in your head, given all the time you've spent alive on this planet. Kanji are just containers that hold information, sort of like variables in programming. By themselves, they mean nothing, all their meaning has been attributed to them by man. They represent ideas that you already know and are familiar with, you just have to come up with some way to make those associations in your mind in regards to new symbols that you are shown. People like to write off mnemonics, but they really do fucking help. Try it out.

Tae Kim's guide will give you a small list of words to memorize before he goes into each lesson in detail, and those words are used in grammar examples. So, no, you don't have to already know a huge list of kanji, but it definitely helps.

I just use the desktop app.

I currently have the App. I just don't have the deck yet. I also plan on using the PC program.

I've never heard a よ after 死ね. It's supposed to be a snappy insult.

Short-term memory isn't very reliable. That's the point of spaced repetition like Anki, to move information into your long-term memory. Just keep at it.

「結婚」って知ってる。この場合は漢字の問題じゃねぇんだ。昨日の夜、問題な言葉が「せいりつ」と「へいかい」なんだけど。
簡単な単語だが俺の脳が壊れたと思うな。

Isn't Shineyo supposed to be more along the lines of "you need to die" as opposed to just "fuck off and die"?

that's a bad feeling
can't wait

The horrors of Kanji. If you want to feel better about your progress, play Pokemon with Jisho in another tab.

reminder to filter namefags

Alright, let's see if I can make sense of this:
「結婚」 = marriage
「知る」 = to know
「場合」 = situation
「漢字」 = kanji
「昨日」 = yesterday
「夜」 = evening
「言葉」 = word/language
[話す」 = to speak
[俺」 = I (male)
[思う」 = to think
These are all the kanji I know out of this post.
「結婚」って知ってる。
The first sentence is simple enough, literally (I) know (the kanji for) marriage.
この場合は漢字の[something]
The next sentence is "as for this situation, [something] about kanji". Google translate says you're saying "In this situation, it's not a question of Kanji", but I thought question was 「質問」. Instead you have 「問題」, which is a Kanji I am not yet familiar with. This must mean question as well, but maybe they're used in two different ways.
昨日の夜
This means yesterday evening, or last night
問題な言葉が「せいりつ」と「へいかい」なんだけど。
"(I) questioned what the words for 「せいりつ」 and 「へいかい」 (are), though"
簡単な単語だが俺の脳が壊れたと思うな
The first part says "(the aforementioned) are easy words". 「簡単」 and 「単語」 are yet more new Kanji, and they supposedly mean "easy" and "vocabulary/words" respectively, but I also thought easy was 「易しい」, and you used 「言葉」 earlier. I guess there are a number of Kanji for what I know to be English homonyms.
The last part says "but my brain is broken and I can't think"

How close am I to understanding what you said? You basically said, "I know the Kanji for 'marriage'. It's not a question of Kanji. Last night, I had trouble recalling the meanings of (these two words). They're easy words, but my brain is broken and I can't think". Teach my your ways, senpai.

Technically 質問 and 問題 both mean "question". But 質問 means it in the sense of asking a question. An inquiry, basically. Whereas 問題 means it as in a problem or issue, so it'd be used for a "question" on a test, for example. It's also used in general to refer to "an issue". Like "僕の問題は。。。" - "My problem is…/The thing is…".
As a result in the next sentence when I typed "問題な言葉" I've turned it into an adjective, hence it becomes "The troublesome words…".
Also 単語 is usually used to refer to a single word or piece of vocabulary, while 言葉 is words in general. Though I could be slightly wrong here, so someone correct me if I am.

You got the meaning correct, though. So good job. Japanese has lots of synonyms for words with their own nuances. (話す・喋る・語る・話をする) all mean "to talk" in a sense, but they have more specific uses. Just like in English "talk, chat, converse, discuss, etc…" all mean the same thing in a broad sense.

Keep at it, user. I'd recommend studying the JLPT vocab/readings starting from N5 if you haven't. I'm pretty sure 問題 is in N5 or at the very least early on in the Genki textbooks.

Why would I ever need to learn Japanese?

This N2 list of ~4k words I was dreading seems to contain a lot of words from previous levels. I'm deleting over half the new words I get prompted with because they're already in my reps from elsewhere.
Feels good to just knock away 10 words in a row with "yeah, nah, I know that".

If you have to ask, you should leave.

What's a good Nipponese font if I want something to look cool when printed?

Want to get an AR dust cover with イナズマ アメリカン (plus maybe a sound effect on the inside) on it, but I'll need to convert text to a picture and need a good font before I start.

Maybe some variant on pic related? I like the sharp and pointed style, but I don't care much for the way that the pronunciations are incorporated into the symbols. Maybe you'll feel differently. It's called "phonetikana" and it's made by some British company or something.

These all seem like good options for a font that'd stand out if you're using katakana.

freejapanesefont.com/gn-kill-gothic-u-download/
freejapanesefont.com/light-novel-pop-free-font-download/
freejapanesefont.com/nico-kaku-free-download/

Why?

I've always been put off by learning a new language, but I really want to learn to read Evangelion doujins that aren't available in my native English language. Is it harder than learning algebra without using a calculator? I want to know how quickly I can learn to read moon runes.

There's no hard and fast number, it really depends on how often you study. If you do it for an hour or so a day, and depending on how well you absorb and apply all the new information, you can expect to be competent/intermediate/middle school tier literate at around 10 months to a year and a half. Of course, there are like 20,000 kanji, so if you're interested in becoming very competent, like college level competent, you'll probably need to spend the greater part of a decade, or more, to get there.

Take everything I say with a grain of salt, because I'm still new at this shit, but I'm not lying. In just 21 days I've learned around 350 kanji, according to Anki. I don't know how well I can actually recall them, and I know very little grammar, but I just keep on grinding.

Don't even bother if you're going to rush. Patience is the #1 most important thing needed to learn Japanese.

I've been at it for over 5 years and I'm still not fluent.

I'm a neet with an excess of time on my hands, I wonder how much I can accomplish if I really put the effort into it.

When you say rush, don't try to cram it in all at once?

I mean don't think "how fast can I learn?". Trying to learn too much at once is a surefire way of burning out. That's how most people fail.

I don't have a job, I have mostly free time, and I started the core 2k/6k deck at about an hour a day. 300 characters later, that time has doubled to two hours a day, maybe even longer than that.
I think is saying that you can't take shortcuts. There's no such thing as some magic bullet that will give you an easy out, you have to put your nose to the grindstone and really work to achieve competency. That means doing your daily reps and keeping a constant pace, and constantly checking yourself to make sure the information you're consuming is sticking. All the resources are there, and people here can help you. You can learn Japanese, but you have to really want it and put forth the effort that is required to learn.

That's nice, but has artifacts. Also I'm not someone who can manually kern text.

Here's what I mean. You should start lower than that, especially with Anki. You can always increase your new cards later, but when your reviews start piling up to 3-4 hours a day, you are very unlikely to keep up.

I don't even recommend spending 1 hour a day on Anki reviews, let alone 2 or more.

Well, I want to taste it first. See what it feels like first and then I can go from there.

Can't know until I try learning.

CAN'T

I considered lowering my daily reviews to something like 50 or so, because I realize that it has been quite tedious these last 21 days. However, I don't think it's especially painful, and I've managed to retain quite a lot of what I've learned so far. I was going to wait it out until the one month mark and then decide if I should lower the reviews then. What daily review count do you suggest?

My daily new kanji cards is 10, and my new vocab is 25. If you're spending over 2 hours you should probably set your new cards to 0 for a while until you level out at a more reasonable review time, and then start again with less new cards per day.

Keep in mind that any changes you make to your daily cards amount won't fully show until like a month or two, when the mature cards start coming into the picture. Though even after almost a year my kanji reviews are still increasing every month, even though I've never changed the new card amount.

What does that even mean? Also, I decided to lower my new card count and review count by a considerable margin, but the statistics screen still says that I've got 122 cards tomorrow. It should be much smaller, something like 70. Is this normal? I'm not even sure I altered the options correctly. I clicked the core 2k/6k deck, went to the options, made a new options group, and simply lowered the new card/review card count. Is that right?

I believe you can see the mature threshold in Anki. But it's basically cards whose intervals are over about 21 days or so. So if you smash it now, after a while if you remember those cards well enough, they'll all come back at once in like a month's time.

I fluctuate between 250-350 reviews a day. Though I've hit 400ish before when I've been having a bad day and fuck up cards a lot.

Mature cards are the cards that you should have committed to long-term memory. Meaning that you have correctly answered them enough times in a row that they won't show up for a while.

As for the deck options, set the maximum reviews to something high like 10000 so that they are unlimited, and only change the "new cards per day" option.

Oh and also set the "leech option" to "tag only", otherwise it will automatically suspend all the cards you fail enough times.

Alright, thank you.

Is there a reason why 要った is missing from google ime?

Is it uncommon? I only see one example for it on jisho.

There isn't a way to connect Anki for Android with Anki for desktop? So all I do in the android version register to the desktop and viceversa.
Also, how do I make a custom deck for Tae Kim's guide?

要った is the conjugated form of 要る;if I'm not mistaken, dictionaries tend to use a word's present tense. Just use the present tense and conjugate yourself. You can also add specific words and phrases to your user dictionary and have them appear before the general words.

I think you can create an account and upload your progress to the cloud. So, you do some work on your phone, then upload your progress, then later on when you want to use the desktop/laptop/other device you just sync with the cloud. I don't know if you have to pay for an account or what, but the option is there.

It's there for me. Type いった and press space and it should be in the conversion list somewhere.

for btw

Just download Bluestacks or some other Android emu or VM for desktop and log in or transfer to your Android. It's that simple. You can also do almost anything else you want for android on it like mobile gaming on PC.

That site is helpful.

What does everyone think looks best?

the second font type from the top.

Third one but I don't like the ン

Someone suggested these two might work.

I'm having trouble checking my work. Does the answer key have the answers for the workbook? There seems to be only textbook answers.

Answer key is textbook only, I believe.

Got you covered, bro

Bump. Have a shitty mnemonic.
「別」 (pronounced べつ or "betsu") = another/different
Corporal Betsy is a first recon NCR sniper that you find in Camp McCarren. She's a lesbian. That makes her different.

tofugu.com/japanese/learn-hiragana/

It's actually gotten easy to memorize kana.
Only memorized it in minutes.

If you are a really autistic Nothing with nothing better to do and to desire to pour your autism to learn a new language so you can play and read weebshit, then it could take about six months tops.

Even though you're never going to write it by hand, do you guys agree with the notion that practicising handwriting helps read handwritten texts? Have some of you guys who have only practiced reading them have had trouble reading handwritten kana etc.?

Some people have terrible handwriting no matter what. If it's bad enough, then your ability to recognize the characters won't matter. that said, I think it is worthwhile to learn to write. It will help you better recognize and remember Kanji, if nothing else.

I dunno about helping to read handwritten texts specifically, but it does make it easier to remember kanji.

I write every new kanji once. Some people say to rewrite it every time you get it wrong, and it may be helpful, but that would become a large timesink. I have a lot of days but only so much time each one. I don't think you should never write a kanji though. At the very least, it will give you some small connection between the kanji, reading and meaning.

Just avoid the mnemonic meme.

I've got some kanji practice books for kids (got doraemon on the cover). Every once in a while I'll write down all the N5 kanji, say. Then next time all the N4.

Works well enough that I know most of the N5 ones off by heart.

Pretty tired so there are probably mistakes here.

Why has pic related not been suggested as something to outright learn? Instead of trying to remember the rules on how to conjugate them, why has no other guide suggested to memorize these as standard forms?

Closest thing is that drunk guys -te form video. Memorizing this seems a lot simpler than trying to remember the rules.

List is incomplete as it's just something I flung together there.

i also realise that I'm extremely tired and may have fucked it up

I ordered my custom cover. Went with Mutsugo (top on ) because everyone I asked elsewhere had a different best, but it's the one nobody had a problem with.

What the hell gave you that idea?

glaringmistakes have been fixed

You forgot that in the case of ichidan verbs る becomes られる instead of れる. Also what about する and くる?
それほど簡単やあらへんと思うなぁ。

ちなみにバンプ制限が近いんだよね。

る verb conjugation is easy compared to u-verb, it was deliberately left out. I just memorize what is a る verb. Worst comes to the worst and I type/say the wrong thing a small number of times.

する and くる are not listed since they're known exceptions.

I'm just surprised at what I wrote mistakes aside hasn't been suggested elsewhere. It makes more sense to me to learn those as "forms" instead of; right, I have this verb, what steps do I need to take to make it X.

? That's how any grammar guide will teach you. Past form, negative form, passive form, etc.

amaterasu.tindabox.net/guide/Conjugation.php

Here's the important part.

Guides teach you how to do the conjugations but I've never seen one that just out right says:

See these fucking forms? Straight up memorize that shit.

Thanks satan

Well that is the first time I'm seeing anything like this. Maybe the guide needs an update, this seems like a much simpler approach to conjugation study.

Probably because people find it much easier to remember things if they have sort of context for them besides "yo, bitch, remember this table".
Like trying to remember a list of character names without reading the book they're from. It's a lot harder when you don't know who the fuck Gandalf is beyond a bunch of letters on a page.

Well to be fair, the best way to learn the conjugations is to just read.

Seconded big time. Especially when you get slang ways of saying things. Like how じゃない becomes じゃねぇ or almost everyone in the slightest casual speech often drops the い in ~ている.

Well the context is, these 8 forms will cover every single u-verb conjugation since the rules are constant. I think a part of me is annoyed that it literally took me 5 minutes to realise something that should have been said already in one of the guides that are constantly recommended.

Maybe, but since I realized that, I've been doing every verb I know in my head and checking the results. Something I couldn't do an hour ago.

Here is a video on conjugating. user's all in one anki package has a deck with all of these videos inside it. It's annoying, though, you have to open anki to view the videos, even though they're just basic .mp4s. To get around this, go to your My Docmuents>Anki>[Your_user_name]>collection.media and then extract all the videos to a new folder, then just scrap the anki deck. Alternatively, you can view all the videos here: youtube.com/watch?v=nHzB_W-Xi7Q&index=20&list=PLId-mP2ZkaEAiLo95aj2-yng41BnhWvE9

How do I get ahold of otaku to help them become completely inhospitable to feminazi shit? And I mean death threats for giving their waifu a boyfriend previously level rage?

Please just answer. You know this is important.

Why wouldn't you learn Chinese? It's far more commercially viable than Japanese.

I don't think people learn it because of commercial viability

China a shit

Fuck off with your shitty disgusting fucking language, i'd rather fucking kill myself rather than learn chinese, refer to the pic in . I also went to china once, and it was bad.

I forgot to mention that Amagami is on sale for Vita, if you want a good Japan-only game. Sale is supposed to end today though, so if you want it you better get it quick.
store.playstation.com/#!/ja-jp/ゲーム/エビコレ-アマガミ/cid=JP0117-PCSG00291_00-AMAGAMIPLUSAPPRI

see

It is like you people want to fail and not stay grorious by listening to the Chosen People.

Good thing it's a Saturday. This shit wouldn't fit in a lunch break.

Someone make a new thread.

この子のエロ画像があったらいいなぁ
日本語を分かるようになったヤツのおかずとして最高だろう

メアリーは一番おかずなんだけど。以外が子供の遊びだよ。

Here you go, user.

What are some jap games that are the easiest to read? Or something made for children to read; books, anime, anything.

I'm a weaboo fuck who keep avoiding learning Japanese until now. I can't believe Holla Forums of all place that reminds me that I need to start learning right fucking now.

what's the kanji in the last panel?
Also, is there any way to find kanji without being able to draw them or use radicals, fx taking a picture?

They always remind me that it's impossible.

Took me a day to learn Hiragana by heart.

淫乱
you can use an OCR app but they're not always accurate

thanks

And a hell of a lot longer to have a basic grasp on the language. Kana is the tutorial level. You've got a lot of grinding until you're good at the game.