Travelling as a mechanic

What are some games that takes the concept of going from A to B to epic proportions?

Seriously, I can only think of old MMOs, Shadow of Colossus and maybe adventure mode of Dwarf Fortress.

I think its that games have problems with having just empty lands and just do nothing but wonder around. Also it would take up a lot of resources at least to make it 3d rpg game. It is possible but it gets expensive to the point where you really need to maket your game if you want returns. Destiny spent a fucking billion.

Outcast, more specifically Outcast 1.1
You can cum like you're them Ulukai

Or Unreal Gold

far crui. Why? Because you have to take out that shitty map to see where you are going, your car can take damage and there are enemies all over the shit place. Not the best, but it was okay.

Wondering around can be quite boring if you have nothing to do, but imagine that working with survival mechanics. You would had to actively search for resources while trying to maintain your path.

For a hypothetical example, think about Long Dark, don't know if you played it, but it's all about realistic surviving: getting food, a warm place, avoiding dangerous wild life, etc. Thing is, the game seems pretty much abandoned by the devs now and they never released the so desired campaign and left the game with only the survival-until-you-die mode. Now imagine, if you had all those mechanics of hardcore survival AND had to get to far place in a limited about of time? Not only you would had to worry about surviving, but not staying too long in a place, hell maybe even getting a functional car (that's not a feature tho). Long Dark has some incredible places already (it's not proceduralshit): bridges, lighthouses, frozen lakes, abandoned houses, mountains. I mean it had everything to be a canadian icehell odyssey. But nobody gives a shit.

Totally forgot about FC2, holy shit.

The Division is probably the closest in modern day terms. The city feels pretty big, and exploring feels decently fulfilling.
If Survival mode wasn't a lobby-based side game, that could have helped

I'm going to rape you.

That's the most unexpected reply I've seen in years.

Because dying to boogeymen the minute the sun sets and because your party of 5 couldn't build a fucking house (only NPCs get tents) is really fun.

you ever cum so hard that you cum chunks?

FUCKING SLAVE, GET YOUR ASS BACK HERE AND ANSWER ME!!!!

Holy shit, you are fucking desperate. Okay, I'll answer.

I heard a lot about outcast, looks like one of those golden nuggets that everybody forget and is forever trapped in the minds of nostalgiafags, someday I'll check it out to see if the hype is real.

Don't know shit about unreal gold tho, I would never have guessed that a game from unreal franchise had travelling.

No, I'm not desperate. I'm
MASTER

You're a good fucking slave, but you didn't fucking answer my question poised here —→>>11655987

Euro/American Truck Simulator

There's a surprisingly big mod community expanding the world map outside of the expansions as well.

YOU EVER CUM SO HARD THAT YOU CUM CHUNKS?

Not quite epic enough but certain MMOs actually got rid of all teleports. Problem is two I know who done it are Black Desert and EVE.
One is sinking p2w ship and second one is spreadsheet simulator. Too bad because toying with it in Black Desert it was actually quite fun.

Just make traveling include why you are playing the game. If you have aRPG just add enemies encounters for you to fight.
Or just make it rewarding. Every time I start playing modded Minecraft I waste 4h just walking around world and collecting dungeon loot, just because stuff I get from it will be useful. Combat is not that fun in Minecraft, world gets boring after few new worlds and during entire experience I just wish I could make myself faster boots but I still do it and enjoy it.

you need to leave, this my home

You ever shitpost so hard you get banned?

your stupid ass thinks you're dominate over the internet, I think you should consider killing your self

No, cause I'm not shit posting, I'm awaiting a serious answer about traveling in video games and the comeuppance that occurs when an individual is on his journey.

No where did I claim to be dominate, but it seems you have some sort of authority issue that perhaps you'd want to talk about with a friend, or a school counselor. I'm not you're friend, or gonna be your friend, but why don't you just tell us why dominance seems to be a hurdle on your journey?

Maybe you should have a snack and lay down in the nurse's office?

Hello fellow thread dwellers, astral travelers, and journeymen.

I'd like to think in addition to Outcast, and Unreal for a game that really grips the player into a sense of actually going on a journey in a strange new world, a strange journey if you will would be one of my favorite games to cum to, The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind, and it's little big brother, The Elder Scrolls II: Daggerfall.

The other games that really have a nice big feel about traveling, albeit in a strange new way would have to be the Ultima Underworld series. I love video games, and I wish to share my journey through them with you, the user of this imageboard that's in this thread right now.

Another game I'd say has good travel, would be perhaps Turok: Dinosaur Hunter, Glover N64, and Rune/Rune Classic, and Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver and Leagacy of Kain: Defiance. Oh and my favorite game, Omikron: The Nomad Soul!

don't be acting like something you're not then

I am the Master, you are all my slaves. You aren't really contributing to this wonderful thread about Journeys like I have.

You see, this entire thread is a journey that I have allowed to you, the user, to experience. Let that sink in, Slave.

/erp/ is pretty dead but I'm sure there is a reddit equivalent of it where you'd probably be more comfortable anyway

you're clearly very autistic, Holla Forums has a autism limit and you're gone beyond it please consider making your self a thread about your self on

>>>/cow/

Please consider making a thread about yourself and how you have authority issues and are thus incapable of simply viewing the word MASTER without having a kvetching fit, due to the connotations of such a word, and thus the phrase I am MASTER causing you to shitpost and ruing a fairly quaint and homely thread about journeys and travel.

>>>Holla Forums
>>>Holla Forums
>>>Holla Forums

oh FUCK FUCK FUCK wyYYY

try again when you have become less autistic

Thank you, vol.

And answering the user from the other thread, I will check Metroid Prime then, I'm just really lazy with setting up emulators.

Not sure if it counts but traversing a massive island while charting your own map trying not to stumble and die from the plague is really engaging.

What do you consider to be epic proportions?
Just a long distance in big areas with nice scenery?

Because I'd consider something like going from the beginning of a world in Demon's Souls to its last boss area a nice travel from A to B, but I don't know if that's the kind of thing you're looking for.

Wait, What did I miss?

Good.

OP I'm not sure if you mean the game has to have a massive scale, but I think it can feel pretty epic when a game presents a moderate distance but makes you work very hard to cross it. Metroidvanias are fantastic at this, especially once you master the trick to crossing them. Dark Souls 1 does this nicely, as does Metroid Prime.

If you want scale, though, Demon's Souls indirectly does this. In each world, you proceed from one level to the next, but they're all in the same world and holler back to each other. Look at Boletaria Palace - you start out at the castle's gates in the proving grounds, where you're a clueless scrub who likely keeps getting killed. Its final boss fight in the castle is the one which most people end the game on. And what do you see when you get there, looking out from the castle you've just scaled? You see the entire world, with the major parts of each level. You even see the part where you first started out from.

If that isn't a way of making the player feel like they've crossed a fantastic journey, I don't know what is.

That's what I meant about Demon's Souls. Traveling through Boletaria Palace was great.

No Man's Sky, taking that concept and being a failure of epic proportions.

Final Fantasy: Crystal Chronicles has a few mechanics based around going on a journey, like semi-random events on the world map. It's not epic in any sense of the word, but it the whole game feels like a cozy, yet dangerous journey.

Traveling is tricky to implement in a satisfying way for vidya because so much of it is mundane.. and falls dangerously close to walking simulator shit, which hipsters eat up for the "emotional content" they pretend to provide.

Look at it this way.. What things are satisfying or interesting about travel and what sorts of things do you do while traveling?

Look how many of those rely on sensory input games can provide, and how many others are guaranteed to be boring as shit in a video game. Even the Truck simulator games drastically reduce the actual distance and unburden you from the most unsatisfying elements of mindless travel.

This video makes Far Cry 2 look like a good, immersive game which it isnt'.

^this is a lie and you know it.

I enjoy travel in STALKER as you have to be on the lookout (and keep your ears sharp) for mutants and anomalies (in the SoC anyway where you get random anomalies), as well as opportunities to ambush bandits and things. Until late game when you have all of the resources and can just sprint everywhere it does travel very well.

Dungeon Siege does a pretty good job of this with an Oregon trail vibe of the forts being pretty far apart. with no teleportation, supplies can get scarce pretty quickly early on.

Two worlds 2 is flawed as fuck, NEEDS mods to be properly playable (mostly the balancing, NPC respawning mod and the world merger) and it keeps on being broken to some degree no matter what you do. But you have comfy as fuck sailing, a fairly vast and natural looking world map and some dungeons here and there. The magic system is entertainingly broken and interesting and the combat is better than vanilla Oblivion or Skyrim (not saying much, but still).

A more common suggestion would be Stalker with CoC mod. Standalone, simple to install and gives you plenty of maps to travel around doing shit while going from point A to B. You need to have some initiative though, the game isn't as straight forward about what you need to do.

It's a fun little combat sandbox to play around in

What mods do you need for two worlds 2 to make it playable?

I don't remember the names because it's been a while since I played it, but there is one to re-balance difficulty and make it a bit harder, one to have respawn (by default the enemies don't respawn) and the world merger that unifies the maps.

It's a flawed-plagued game that only needed minor adjustments to be truly good (mostly spawn distribution, enemy density and map design). Still very worth playing, specially with some small mods.

It's a shame that there's no good mountain climbing games.

Everything that any artform acts on is ultimately illusion. You've made a very good list, but there are many ways games can express the things you're on about, however.

Visual graphics and audio cues. See Okami and the Wind Waker.
Sound effects done properly.
When playing Ocarina of Time, SoTC or Twilight Princess, I'd slow my horse down to a gentle trot sometimes. The clopping of hooves in that game is so distinct. I would slowly pan the camera, left and right, across anything that caught my eye, and just listen. That was all the quiet time I needed. Games have already accomplished this.
See above. While virtual, games have made some beautiful vistas that speak praise to the human imagination.
There's a lot of games I want to think about that do this. I wish they were coming to mind - I'm mostly thinking of bugs and roaming in MMOs.
Mass Effect 1 would let me poke my companions on a mission and they'd have distinct lines for each part of each level in the game. That and, of course, talking with them off parties.
GTA and MGS5's video tapes do this well. MGS5 can even convey lore details to the player through such - imagine a more easygoing game like Xenoblade giving you things to listen to should you desire. Imagine if your party members reacted to what you were listening to.
A lot of games involve prep - the Witcher ones strike me as examples. While it can be done better, it's interesting to me.
Take the music argument - instead of playing a tape, have the protagonist read a book aloud while walking. They can even put it away during a battle and resume once the fight is done. There - something that fits any setting.
You're making me realise how good a pokemon-esque game that had this sort of element would be.
So many sandbox games are better without the map and with all the objection-marker UI shit turned off. So much freer. It's the bad ones that need those things for good players to make sense of their lousy map.
I feel like this sort of interaction in a Souls game when I see a summoning sign. Journey is also similar to this.

Wish I could think of a game that did this; would be nice, though.
Darkest Dungeon accomplishes this, I feel. While journeying through dungeons, you can set up camp to survive, reduce stress and have the characters tend to each other's wounds, eat and destress.
Wouldn't this be like talking to the party in your HQ during other games? If you can sing in Black Flag with your crew, surely having a relaxing interaction to help the player unwind would be good too. If Dark Souls let me, I'd do more comfortable things like change my pose at the bonfire so I'm lying down, or meditating, or something that gives me reprieve.
Darkest Dungeon sorta gives this, again, but sleep doesn't feel satisfying.

I'm nitpicking in much of that, but I think much of what makes travelling good has been indeed done; we just don't have a game yet that's strung every bit of it together. Travelling can't be the core of the game, but maybe it can be its heart. Games thive on the simple act of doing, after all.

what the fuck did you just say!? you could climb any mountain in my game and that's not good enough for you?

You aren't as subtle as you think you are.

Games usually need something to make travelling enjoyable but when done right you can enjoy the journey more than the destination. Stalker does a great job of this, just travelling through the swamp can be a great experience and makes the "go to A and kill X" missions enjoyable. As much as people here hate it, Skyrim with the right mods can also be fun to travel in.

Good travelling games are usually going to rely heavily on immersion and atmosphere with something else like survival mechanics to keep it interesting. It's a tricky thing to get right because it's really easy to mix it up with "muh art" walking simulators but it can be pretty fun when implemented correctly.

The key things are to have an interesting and varied landscape for players to enjoy while at the same time not turning it into a walking simulator slideshow.

Just read the Lord of the Rings trilogy, it's a travelling fetish novel deep down.

Not really, with mods you struggle to stay alive and functional withstanding the low temperature and the rain/snow, then you bump into an enemy, you realize weather doesn't affect him one bit and combat is -regardless of what you do- utter shit that ends becoming an annoyance rather than something challenging you have to overcome. The AI is all the same, so it's even worse, not even different areas make for a more entertaining game.

As incomplete as it might be, you might one want to give Cube World a try. The combat is rather nice at the core and the world map is huge, you can glide to move around, climb shit and use bombs to break boulders to get through caves. Again, the game is unfinished as fuck, content lacking and the AI still lacks diversity, but still worth playing.

Are you making this game, Todd?

It will be stupidly easy as all the fucking zeldo games of the last decade. Which is a real shame.
I wasn't going to get a console to play one game anyway.

you think im dumb enough to let you climb smooth rocks like that without a horse? you disgust me

This is a good post and I like you for making it.
My overall point wasn't that these things were bad or boring when included in other games, but as a complete experience, they run the risk of adding a lot of tedium and additional work to a game that might need to be focused elsewhere to ensure quality of game. Other games have certainly captured elements off that list, but they've neglected to fully create the whole experience.

I had an idea for a Coop FPS inspired by Ground Control's Jaegers that ran into this problem. The idea was that you had to travel long distances to carry out your objective, so my take on it was making it basically an Innawoods Simulator, with mountain climbing, hunting/defending yourself from large predators, evading enemy patrols, etc. It wouldn't be really as comfy as some descriptions above, but thought it might make for an enjoyable game.

Shelter 2 is really good. You play as a lynx and you take your cubs from one area to another and they grow up, along the way you hunt and feed them. They can die of starvation and the game becomes very panicky because its very disheartening to lose your child the way it meows in pain.

I agree there; it's frustrating to see a game have so many bits and baubles, yet have such a weak or directionless core. I think the only game dev to have mastered both is Kojima - Metal Gear Solid games at their best have had incredibly tight core details, but so many easter eggs and little bits that you'd think those were the core focus.

Still, imagine if a dev were good enough that they'd do both. I wouldn't mind if it weren't the most original game at its core; just so long as it was good and had some 10/10 travelling

That doesn't sound very fun, and logs (video, audio, text) in videogames started to multiply after the first bioshock, I mostly ignore them, it really feels dissonant to the environment most of times, for example, dishonored, you are supposed to be a supernatural ninja killing (or not) your way to the victim, but the game makes it possible to stop everything and read lore about whales, I mean damn, the bad guys are having literal orgies at the bathhouse and you're pretending to be an intelectual, what the fuck. In contrast, there's a rare exception that is myst. The game gives you some books to freely read when you are at the main land, at first they can look like mere curiosity, but they are fundamental to solving some puzzles about the "ages" they talk about.

In short, reading books could be fun if they add to the experience and not being an optional feature made to please wiki writers and fandoms.

FC2. It's not good, but it's there. Also, Jalopy. webm related.

Is that supposed to be a shitty numale version of My Summer Car?

I enjoyed SC2 for its sheer ambition, especially by 1992 standards, and the writing, but the fundamental gameplay is extremely tedious and kind of primitive.

I love that artist.

Damn, I never heard about this one. I would not say so since the thing about Jalopy is not mere simulation, there's some context too, you are in Soviet German and you only have this car, not only you have to do some jobs, you can actually scavenge car scraps in the middle of the forest next to the road and mod your car with them. Also, I heard that the dev is a carfag. I didn't play much tho and I'm not a carfag myself. I know what you mean, low poly shit has weird connotations these days

Btw, just opened the steam page and
Top kek.

My Summer Car is also apparently by a carfag, and has context. It's just that the context is average life in modern Finland if it was told by a Finn on /int/ - buying beer by the crate and drinking it while driving, pissing in the sauna, eating shitty microwave, making money by delivering wood and pumping sewage tanks, etc.

That looks fun, but I don't know if I have the necessary autism. Also, I think that fits pretty nicely in the Travelling category, driving around while doing shit and small jobs, it would be a cool thing to do irl.

I actually want a mountain climbing game. Fuck off to your sarcastic shithole.

I was just thinking that could be an awesome sniper game, having to creep through and survive in the jungle on your way to assasinate a Guerilla officer or somesuch

I've been thinking about travel in vidya for a bit now, and here are some scattered thoughts.

Devs and players are both lazy as fuck. Devs don't make maps that are interesting to travel across. Players are lazy, so they want fast travel so they can skip over to the next mission. Far Cry 3 and 4 are prime examples. To entice the player to actually do anything, the devs had to put plants and animals for upgrades and buff/heal items everywhere. It looked ok, and made travel cross-country a little more enjoyable, but then you're more powergaming than anything else as you zigzag sprint from one resource to another while you make your way towards the next outpost/radio tower/mission. Without incentives, ADHD players will just fast travel whenever they can. FC2 limited that, but it makes the game feel more punishing than anything else, with how common enemy outposts are.

Secondly, it's very hard to capture the feel of what makes travel enjoyable IRL. Amazing vistas require amazing artists, a good engine, and lots of resources, and even then it's hit-or-miss with nature. I can't think of any way that a game could capture just how green the Irish countryside was last time I was there. No game will capture how much fun it was stopping in a little countryside resturant with bros and eating stew and beef pie after getting lost around the Ring of Kerry for 2 hours. No game can portray just how much fun it was to find a motherfucking castle in an out-of-the-way area and climb all over it with nobody to tell us otherwise.

The one game that I'll travel in for the sake of travel alone is GTAV, because I can load my Ryan Gosling lookalike, and take a Futo or a Ruiner or a random bike across the countryside, down a highway, through the neon lights of the city, just because it's comfy. Euro Truck simulator seems to be loved for the same reason - comfiness. There doesn't really need to be much depth. It's up to you if relying on comfy alone, without depth, is a good thing or not.

But I can't see how to make a game that does travel well, in the way that OP's pics evoked. Survival mechanics will lead to inevitable minmaxing and powergaming. Story in lieu of mechanics makes it pretentious. Having none of the above makes it boring and empty.

Maybe, anons, travel is just the one thing that all of you should be doing IRL.

i unironically enjoyed two words 1 and 2. WITHOUT MODS

The reason that most players want to fast travel is because travel systems are often the most boring and obnoxious parts of the game.

I'm going to use Skyrim as an example, because I think that it personifies the travel related problems inherent in large open world games. Travelling in skyrim is the most boring shit you can subject someone to. Once you've walked around for an hour, and the novelty has worn off, there is nothing worse than travelling across skyrim. The entire extent of player interaction is holding the joystick forward and slightly adjusting the camera. Travel in skyrim is something you do in between sessions of gameplay. You play 10 minutes clearing a dungeon, then you spend half an hour walking back to town, then you hand in the quest and get a new one, only to spend another half hour walking to the dungeon you have to clear. The opening of skyrim, before you get many destination to fast travel to, is the most boring shit you can imagine on subsequent playthroughs.

To be fair, they did try to address this sort of problem with animal interactions and random encounters. But fighting a wolf or a bear or a dragon for the 100th time is not at all fun, and I find myself avoiding most random encounters when I play because I know that they will only give me lackluster reward, and will only cause me to spend MORE time getting to my destination.

Skyrim's problem is two-fold: first; the world is far too big, or I should say, the density of content is far too low. There is some interesting shit between locations you travel to in skyrim, but there isn't nearly enough of it to make travel a fun experience for the player. The interesting shit is so widespread and scarce that I would not be surprised if most players never even encountered it and believed the world was totally empty of interesting shit.

Second; Skyrim doesn't reward exploration. There is pretty much no reason to explore. You may find an ancient tomb hidden behind a waterfall or some shit, but because of the way loot works, you won't get anything special from it. Better to hurry on to your quest marker, because even though you wont get anything good from it either, at least you check the box to say quest completed.

For a game that does travel decently, I think Zelda A Link to the Past does exceptionally. For one, the world is interesting, and there is a lot of content in a smaller area. You're practically tripping over heart-pieces, item upgrades, optional items and other good shit everywhere you go. The player unlocks permanent upgrades as they explore, so there's a good motivation to check every nook and cranny.

Secondly, travel in ALttP isn't just holidng a direction and waiting, you have to use items and skills you've gained to effectively cross the terrain, and in some areas, the wildlife can actually pose a threat if you are unprepared. The player is actually engaged in the overworld, which makes the player more willing to go the long route even when fast travel becomes available to them later.

I think the key to getting players to stop using fast travel is to make travel enjoyable through engaging gameplay. A solid set of movement mechanics would go a long way to improving a lot of games in this regard. Different ways of building and maintaining momentum would do a lot to make travel more fun. This can be bunnyhopping, surfing (like in tribes), crouch cancelling, grappling hooks, anything. So long as its fun to travel, players will choose it over fast travel.

Hey there froggy mommy, what's cookin?

Hello fellow thread dwellers, astral travelers, and journeymen.

I'd like to think in addition to Outcast, and Unreal for a game that really grips the player into a sense of actually going on a journey in a strange new world, a strange journey if you will would be one of my favorite games to cum to, The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind, and it's little big brother, The Elder Scrolls II: Daggerfall.The other games that really have a nice big feel about traveling, albeit in a strange new way would have to be the Ultima Underworld series. I love video games, and I wish to share my journey through them with you, the user of this imageboard that's in this thread right now.

Another game I'd say has good travel, would be perhaps Turok: Dinosaur Hunter, Glover N64, and Rune/Rune Classic, and Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver and Leagacy of Kain: Defiance. Oh and my favorite game, Omikron: The Nomad Soul!

Cause apparently when you actually contribute the thread, after having to try and tell dumb shitskins to calm down after having a joke with OP, Holla Forums mods are apparently either brain-dead or just frankly illiterate and ignore the actual valuable opinion about travelling/journeys in video games. Really scrapping the bottom of the barrel having to wait to use one semi-ironic post due to either having a bad day, or really trying to claim I was avatarfagging (rule 8's only real purpose on kike Holla Forums) when I clearly wasn't, you know, totally ignoring my post with the list of games I managed to come up with beforehand, so I don't know if I just happened to run in a shitty mod who actually had to lock the thread just because he knew he couldn't really come up with a rule to pin me to, decided to take the most recent post out of context, and thus wrongfully misuse rule 8, which rule 8 was apparently pushed by some autistic non-white namefag/tripfag shitposter to try and cover his own ass when he 'avatarfags' as differently babby's first anime girls meanwhile huffing jenkem, real sad when mods act more like they do on 4cuck instead of actually banning people for breaking rules that are a bit more important like spamming CP, bots, obvious raids/shilling from places like Holla Forums, Holla Forums (especially this shit hole, found out about it today and explains why such a mod would act the way he did), Holla Forums a place where apparently mexicans and Colombians are free to post CP without consequence, and /vow/ anotehr new autism sinkhole filled with upset avatarfags/animeposters who all happen to be either non-white/shitskin and also from a third world background. Just felt like stating that**

If any anons agree or disagree with my game selection, please do reply and tell me the reason why you feel the games I listed just now are not travel. Cause I do feel like games like Omikron: The Nomad Soul has a great sense of travel, as does games like E.Y.E Divine Cybermancy caues it feels like the places you're exploring are actually real, or were once real at some place or time, same falls for Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver/Legacy of Kain: Defiance where the architecture and over all places you go feel alive. Glover is also a good example due to it being extremely surreal and quite frankly feels like the guys responsible for level design were on mescaline. The fact I had made this post before and was probably deleted is pathetic and how I had to then add a little quip to ensure it's not me repeating the same guff is just sad. Cause I was legitimately serious about games such as Ultima Underworld 1 and 2, and TES II Electric Boogaloo: Daggerfall and TES III: Morrowind being prime examples of what OP was autisticly looking for. Same goes for games like S.T.A.L.K.E.R. but I feel you shouldn't have to bother posting about S.T.A.L.K.E.R. purely for the fact that everyone should own it, and that the only individuals that try to post about it here seem to be losers who just figured out what it is after getting too tired of shit like Fallout 3 and Fallout 4 and bought it either on the recent stem crem sale, or pirated it out of spite, real damn shame that most S.T.A.L.K.E.R. threads here either end up getting spammed to hell and back with avatarfagging aspies who get upset that said threads aren't shitskin friendly, or get upset that no one wants to RP with them, cause that's the shit I see spergs doing 24/7 on Holla Forums, but no one really does anything about it, and then when anons make clearly sarcastic imitations of such displays of faggotry, that's when the lowly mods that are up during the wee hours of whatever third world country they live in decided to pop in and do the opposite of a job for like a couple of hours and then go back to being greasy underage aspies.

Better watch yourself, jokes aren't allowed here, they will 8 ball you
I'd hate to be that guy to do it to you too Todd, I really enjoyed Balder's Gate.

I'm sorry Todd, times have changed.

Two Worlds 2 is fine, it's just people put it up to the expectations of Oblivion, due to the fact they came out the same time. If you bought Two Worlds 2 for like Two Fucking Bucks, the experience is quite the interesting one, without mods mind you, where you just end up laughing and having a grand old time if you have a buddy and the rest of a gang to watch you and your pal fuck around with warriors, hard ones.

Let me guess, autistic underage child who mistakenly got Far Cry 2 for Christmas instead of the HOT new game, Faryish Cry 4 Pajeet Feet Edition?

Why are you posting like this is reddit and if breaking down that other user's post like you have a really low self-esteem and thus try to hide behind a thin veil of pseudo-intellectualism in hopes that you can try and fight and smash the authority figures you deeply loathe? To the point where any presence of someone with an "ego" as I've seen newly acquainted non-users from la blue red-dit, and it's companion site 4kids4cucks?

Cause I know my post is bloated cause I got a lot to say, but you're just like posting in such a strange way, the only time I've seen ANYONE post like that would be around 2007, like once, they got banned, then a fuck ton of times around Holla Forums circa 2010 where we had blatant Mexicans roaming the board shitposting and making 'Mexican Generals' all over 4cuck in places that didn't make fucking sense, like the 3d modelling board that was always dead, Holla Forums, Holla Forums, and they tried on /a/ but got screeched out after the first couple waves when they realized they were just thinly veiled attempts from underage Mexican shitskins who found out about 4cuck from reddit after Kojimbo's Birthday Bash, claiming the card that was sent from fagstralia was actually from Mexico, and like literally TONS of fucking little spic kids looking like little frog mutants were just linking threads directly from Holla Forums to cuck-kikebook. Which led to the over all final, FINAL, final nail in the coffin after 2006 led to Holla Forums semi getting co-opted by advertisement shilling companies from Biocuckwarez and the Feds. Which the FEds didn't really seem to care that in the Mexican Generals, it was just a ton of underage spic boys who were like literally 12 to t14 trying to pretend to be their mothers (whom were ugly and fucking obese, or sickly and skinny with the most disgusting fish lips, weird mishapend tiny heads, flappy tits, etc) and then getting one another to post their micro-cocks on Holla Forums and begging for kikebook invites and games, all the while just posting themselves nude, looking like fucking mentally retarded midgets with fucking acorn tips for dicks looking like pot-bellied brown retards, that ultimately compose of all the shitposters we have here because people thought it was a good idea to 'beg' for said spergs, namefags, and trip fags to come here of all places after the majority of the comunity was against it and was perfectly happy with things being a bit slower and not having to be filled with the third world waste we had to deal with back when cuck4cuck was ultimately co-opted by the third world and thier recent claim to the internet after US/European aid allowed shitholes like Mexico and Brazil, and Argentina to allow free computers and wifi to slums/falveas.

Also your entire thread is null and void with bringing up the Souls games when I'm sure you've only played Dick Souls, not Demon's souls or any other King's field game who do the whole traveling thing a lot better Mr. Nu-Holla Forums. Sorry for the whole history drop towards your lovely nu-Holla Forums post, but I feel I'm like one of the legitimate oldfags that remembers the bombardment of third worlders that lead to the initial quality drop, like a fucking grand canyon type of drop after 2009, more specfically finding out the source of why summer Holla Forums was so shit, it was due to third worlders and I'm sure plenty of anons qould agree that was the sole symptom. Too keep this thread nice and greased up, I'd say System Shock 2 is an example of travel in a strange new world, though people would argue it's linear, but you really feel as if you're on a space station fending for your life after the gubbament pulls a shitty hotpocket on you, same for System Shock 1.

I read that as
That mite b cool. A game where you're a traveling mechanic fixing people's vehicles.

Kill yourself.

Stalker I guess, maybe VTMB depending on how autistic you wanna role play in it. Bard's Tale. Far Cry 2 if you don't mind the journey being interrupted every two seconds by enemy checkpoints and patrols. ETS2. Deus Ex and System Shock as well I guess. Also maybe Amnesia Dark Descent as well maybe. And I can't really think of anything else besides the shit you already mentioned

Fug I forgot about those games, Soul Reaver as well of course

Also Windwaker as well now that I remember, game was comfy as fuck

Is astroneer any good for an EA game? Assuming one had friends.

It is an oddly enjoyable game, even without mods. The mods just fix some bits of the game that make no fucking sense at all.

Those games were content full as fuck.

Lord of the Rings Online has a TON of things to find in the world. Best Ive seen yet.

Arx Fatalis
Unreal Gold
Morrowind
Some of the missions from Thief 1+2
STALKER
Muramasa
Elite 2/3

If he does I hope he takes you down with him.

Okay, fuck you for making me imagine the following.

It’s not a game at all. It’s No Man’s Sky with even less to do. I’m not even joking.

that is the worst idea I've ever heard

Once this shit is completed, it could cut down a lot of development time for big maps.

oregon trail

A Minecraft clone that forces you to keep moving towards a destination would be interested.

Both Oregon Trail one and teo are both abysmally quick to complete. I completed OT2 recently in I think it was 15 minutes. Not epic.

I suppose unless we're talking about the actual geographic distance the people back in those days would have theoretically traveled. But if you want to experience that just walk the trail yourself.

A Minecraft clone with good combat and AI would be better.

I honestly wouldn't mind playing a game set in the Stalker universe during winter. Really expand the Zone and make it take quite awhile. It wouldn't be focused on hunting bandits, or killing mutants. It really wouldn't need to have combat at all. It's just a lonely adventure to deliver a mcguffin. It could even be puzzle focused instead of combat focused.

Going to expand on this really quickly. The justification is that the Zone is quickly freezing over, and everyone is trying to go in a certain direction. Even the animals are migrating. Bandits have enough common sense to not waste time robbing some random asshole.
Another idea I like is that the outside world has fallen as well. Or at least the zone has expanded by a significant degree.

Great argument, kid.

I thought about making it mission based, ranging from sabotage (by AMR, explosives or theft), escort as sniper support, to assasinations.

One thing I thought Morrowind did well about travel is draining you stamina when you ran. This encouraged the player to walk from location to location, which provides a lot more time and opportunity to appreciate the world around you rather than sprinting from one objective to the next.

dragons dogma does travel good with some dangers off the road and more dangerous at night, the wind is pushing me ect.

kingdom hearts has travel mechanics too, there is a minigame when you want to travel between levels, you can skip it if you want after you have done it once.

Not really. It provides incentive to get items to fortify speed and provide levitation.

But even that ended up being cool, because how many games let you become a wizard and just fucking float over all the cliffs and map obstacles?

Well obviously it doesn't last long until you get all kitted out, but when you're first entering the world it was really something. Plus it provided an incentive to actually make use of the fast travel services.

Dragon's Dogma did a good job. But what are you talking about with Kingdom Hearts? You mean the gummi ship?

Is there actually a car that does this?

Are you retarded?

Dragon's Dogma was one of the best with this, prior to Dark Arisen and the PC port, but people complained about the lack of endless convenient fast travel. So unfortunately I'll doubt we'll see that again even if there's a sequel.

Yeah, the Trabant, built in Eastern Germany back then. Which that car is supposed to be and all. Means you dont have to have a fuel Pump because gravity does the work. Also means it'll be sure to burst into flames if you ever flip the fucker though

Freelancer and I guess the X series like X3 Tachyon was alright

games where you can chose your own path and there is enough content to make it enjoyable are incredibly rare

Disable the boogeymen in world generation if you can't beat them, you dingus.

You're in the wrong neighborhood kid, there's nothing Holla Forums loves more than horribly jank open world games that try and fail to be immersive and need extensive modding to be palatable.

So, the challenge missions where you're being hunted by a bear? You have to cross a few regions to a specific place with all the challenges that come along with that all while trying to stay ahead of a bear that wants to murder you.

Dark Souls is the only game I enjoy traveling through.

I can't remember seeing this copypasta. Sorry dude, that just seemed like the fairest way to reply to the guy.

That's assuming the bookreading and log-listening material is good, which is up to the writer. And face it, some of that lore-listening is suspension of disbelief, as players who do it during action will be the ones bored enough of them that they'll want something to listen to, like a podcast during work.

That's good, actually. For another game, perhaps just have the thing you have to repair be part of the game's core. Like your armour in an RPG. Or maybe they can just make more games where you play in cars; then you can also just be decking out your car with new weapons while you repair. I fucking love games you can drive around in.

Sorry for what, replying to some prattling prat?

because apologising pisses him off some more

Arcanum have a different concept of travelling for different personages.

pretty much msc for the non-autistic