Metal Gear Solid 3

Metal Gear Solid 3

Snake Eater Subsistence HD collection

First played through this game during a console classics binge that I missed on PS2/NGC/Wii/PS3 in 2011 I think it was. I thought it was pretty good. Over the years came to think it was shit. Still do think some things are godawful, the movement/item mechanics become comfy though. A lot of my disdain for it is memers and the non-game side of it. I had just accepted it was a non-game at this point. You run around pretending you are a spy, autistically searching every corner for items you don't need and listening to retarded dialogue instead of playing the game.

Saw goobergate autist play some MGS a few weeks ago so that put it in my head again and decided to order a copy of the HD edition for 360 to see how things went. Bought it on impulse at some bizarre hour in search of finding something worth playing because lets face it every game is shit now. 360 version is best I believe for my wants. Better framerate than PS3 and I didn't have a PS3 controller to play it properly while 360 had rebinded controls for lack of digital PS buttons. Also meant I could choose between PS4, 360 and Xbone controller without issues. Watched a little bit of matthewmatosis opinion before I realised he's a fucking idiot, an autistic whinge. Which is a shame because he reviewed Mario properly, that's the way I see games in my mind, but for MGS3 he spent a small portion of the video actually talking about the game….

The game had to be good so I had to make it good. I had only ever played through MGS on standard difficulties. Since I'm not a faggot I went straight in for Extreme. It was frustrating as fuck. Getting seen ruins the game as you sit on your dick for several minutes everytime and the game ended up just being tranqing everyone from a distance and shit. I got to the camp with the russian scientist and just quit. Decided to give it another go the next day. European Extreme, and decided to stick to non-lethal. I was just tranqing everyone in the head but it felt like there was a bit of management. Silencers were finite and I had to choose to take it off for the last enemies of a group or if I was going to make a run for leaving the area. In the end I played all the way to the Fury. Ocelot was overrated as fuck.

Anyway the game was made more interesting in places. Like eliminating the 10 Ocelot clones when you meet Eva. Fuck me that took a few tries to get right with non-lethal. Also noticed the structure of the game seemed weird. You had lots of fodder then suddenly you get 2 boss fights in quick succession. I ignored the froggies cause it was hard to get by without searching for them without really knowing where I was going all the time. The Pain took a few tries, key was getting him with the nades in the face then shooting him after.

It also felt like I was riding on a thin edge in progression, game also is designed well enough to give you what you need if you look hard enough at the right time. Spent a bit of time in the lab area, didn't know if I should've been wearing the disguise at that point but I wasn't either way. Then the Fear and the End in quick succession. The Fear is a piece of shit since you just don't move then hope you can steal his food because he gets it.

The End was a good boss fight. I played it on an awful HD LCD TV back then with PS2 video output so everything was a giant blob of green. This time I did it proper and wrecked his anus. Did fail a few times just for curiousity and found it amusing you get sent back to the cells in the lab basement if he gets you. Had to keep going back to the ammo building in the first area of the fight to get non-lethal and ended the fight in about 15-20 minutes maybe.

The Fury boss fight I failed a few times but he's easy if you have a bit of luck and avoid him. Followed by the Grozny Grad however the fuck it's called base. I wasted so much time here. Feels overwhelming at first. Couldn't remember how to steal the uniform cause I thought you had to get him in the bathroom. Then I wasted a bunch on the return when I couldn't find the 2 fuel containers for the C3. I got call from EVA and thought it was done, actually thought you had to take pictures of the Shagohod thing at first but anyway. Had to call codec for first time to confirm there are actually 4 and sure enough they're at the back of the room in super dark area where I walked right by them.

Now Volgin broke my ass for about an hour until I developed a reliable pattern. At this point I think I forgot to save at every opportunity so on you go to the end then I walked into the Boss with no HP recovery items at all and no saves for 3 hours so I would have to make it work and got there in the end with a bit of luck.

I wish I had noted my thoughts, but the game seems designed well enough from what I remember, skipped all the autistic cutscenes and codec bullshit of course. A pretty decent game. Went for non-lethal but then it hit me about 15 minutes after that the 3 kills must've been the first time you encounter the hovercraft guys in the river. If you tranq them, they crash and it must count as death. Can't see where else I would've made up the 3 unless they were all isolated mistakes. Real shame but for all intents and purposes it was a no kill playthrough.

I had tried Twin Snakes on dolphin again for the first time since my binge years ago and thought it was kind of shit. You encounter fuck all enemies and areas and you're in a boss fight. I guess it's more of an arcade game. Also I like Meryl. Think Twin Snakes would be preferred for the smoother graphics, getting the PC port of the game working is an annoyance, and don't give me that PSX shit, you're the same spergs who think Resident Evil or Tomb Raider is best play on PSX because you're retards.

I loaded up MGS2 on the HD collection and see it has only a "hard" difficulty but it does have the game-over-upon-sight as an option. Do I need to unlock european extreme ffs or is it not there? Are there good difficulty options for Twin Snakes or vanilla MGS too? Might have to buy MGS4 again to see if it can be made good.

emulate peace walker

It's in the HD collection. Tried it before. Absolute garbage.

what the fuck man, it's the best metal gear solid game

nice blog post

No one cares about your blog, flagfag. Fuck off.

tl:dr

SOME DAYS
YOU FEEED
ON A TREEE FROOOOOG

epic blog friend! Upvoted XD

A lot you faggots complain about the quality of the posts on Holla Forums, how they are all shitposts and there is no quality discussion, and when someone actually puts effort in to their thread or post they are instead mocked, called autistic or written off as a blog post and ignored. If you don't like the thread, just filter it like I'm going to filter you edgelords.

you should use a trip to be responsible about your post quality.

effortposting is a dead meme

I bought the Essential Trilogy about a week or two ago for about 20 dollars and just finished it all today. I would say MGS3 is my favorite of the three in that collection. Only real complaint I have is that there isn't anything like VR missions, so there isn't really anything to do after you finish except play again or jack off in the theater.

let me explain what's wrong with your posts and your posting style for the future, since you apparently skipped the "lurk until you understand the local culture" rule of thumb

1: Holla Forums is not one person
2: nobody asked what you think about a game that came out thirteen years ago
3: you made the mistake of naming one of your ebin youtube influencers, which naturally triggers the shill suspicion
4: not only are your posts just slowpoke opinions but you're literally typing out a play-by-play of your playthrough. nigga i mean this in the nicest possible way but who the fuck cares
5: your opinion is shit peace walker was awesome

i suppose we could just really boil it down to the fact that you are over a decade late to a conversation this site has had ten thousand times or more. yes, it's a good game. great job!

Dude, I'm not OP

Female snek looks bretty gud

When I first started playing I was trying to use the standard MGS camera to see if it could be made to work but of course it only ever worked in closed box environments. MGS3 has sections with such long line of sights that it cannot be made to work with buildings and such obstructing your view. This is not to say MGS3 does not have box rooms of its own, they're just so large.

Things are pretty tight in the beginning. I don't think I had any suppressors for my tranq gun for fucking ages. This is kind of ruined by the end of the game since I ended up with 6 I think at one point. I think they respawn if you go away far enought and come back.

The game is mostly linear. I would say MGS1 and MGS2 were less linear. Much shorter distances involved but MGS3 doesn't reuse it's structural content that much. The beginning yes, the walk back to the mountain key card door, some in the volgin base, doesn't feel it's anywhere near the level of the previous games.

Lots of normalfags complain about the guards AI, when it pretty much has to be that way to make the game work. They have amazing sight on extreme difficulty so it becomes a case of tranqing or choking out of sight as quickly as possible. Helps if you knock them all out consecutively since they don't alert because they don't find other bodies. Most of my continues were spent finding the fastest rotation of dispatching them. Interesting one was the return to the weapons base when I had to bait 2 guards towards me, run back in a loop and go around behind, then knock a guard out, then the other across the way, then crawl past a dog while one of the initial guards and seen me after returning to his post. A good squeeze that had been accounted for probably.

I wanted to beat the game while doing as little as possible just to see how well the game would cope, but eventually I found myself naturally finding extra shit while finding where the shortest path was. It succeeds pretty well at this. But I couldn't help think to myself, "What if I didn't find those thermal optics" or "those NVGs". I suppose the game is beatable without most of the items. Do any of the boxes let you enter the base with the truck?

I made a point of never changing the camo to see what could be done and sure enough the standard worked for the whole game. Only time I changed was in the base trying to get Raiden. Couldn't figured out where you needed him to be but then the visual design of the locker was a big giveaway. A good game should be beatable without understanding a word.

I think being able to pick around corners and shoot without consequence might be a tad OP. It seems weird in relation to leaning while pressed since it does not grant invisibility while aiming and leaning does. Don't know what he was thinking there.

For the most part I only used the tranq gun but there was a few places nades were hand like the Pain to get rid of the bees and knock him down or against the Boss to get some free hits on her quickly. I don't think I ever used the smoke grenades, couldn't get them to work reliably. In hindsight the chaff grenades might have been the floating saucers? I didn't see anywhere else to use them.

The thing about Holla Forums fags 99% is spouting the same memes about these games being good. I know this is bullshit because what they consider good is the nongame they turn it into, like some Fallout bollocks. Outside of European Extreme with tranq the game does not squeeze the player meaningfully, a game without rules is not a game. Limiting to yourself to the tranq I think shows the rest of the weapons are there for retards only. This whole muh freedom bullshit is why it attracts casual nongame fags in the first place and I kind of wish he made the game he was supposed just so we can easily tell who played the game and who didn't. I think the fact you continue as if nothing happened after every death reveals just how normalfag appealing this game can be.

So yes Holla Forums for some reason thinks this game defends itself somehow, like it's a given it's great, while I'm not so sure these fags have even played the game itself, instead of play-pretend.

Что блядь за хуйня? Я что в библиотеке что ли?!

Nothing to see here.

Initially I assumed that you had so many continues due to boss fights but when I saw the number of alerts then it became clear that you are simply shit at the game.

I sincerely hope you wrote up this putrid novel and played MGS 3 in the worst way possible just to piss people off. If these posts are genuine, I'd very much prefer if you just died.

I tried playing MGS2 for a few minutes but like Twin Snakes it feels very primitive in comparison to MGS3 at this point. I miss CQC. Might have to try Peace Walker again or even MGS4 but I would need to rebuy the latter.

Niggers, please. I know you've spent your entire internet life on Reddit and might not understand how imageboards work. Let the guy post his opinions and maybe we'll get a discussion going.

Alright, so you didn't like the game for being too easy on normalfags? Or are you pissed at the game because everyone harps about how great MGS3 is? What I'm getting from your post is that you hate the people hyping the game, and not the game itself. Alright, MGS3 can be piss-easy if you use the tranq from far-off, and honestly every MGS game can be pretty easy on lower difficulties, because you don't necessarily have to sneak around and can run'n'gun everything. But the option is there, and you are graded for your performance + you get extra stuff post-game if you did well enough. You can play it as a dumb shooter, but I don't think it's a valid enough reason to dismiss MGS3 as 'bad', because MGS3 also offers you the way to play it smart. So you have 2 options for playing a game. Isn't that better than no choice at all? MGS strength lies in the sneaking mechanics and the story, it's a really story-heavy series. Sneak around and you will play the game as intended, discovering new tactics, new secrets etc. I feel EE difficulty is made for the players who have already mastered the game in every way possible and want a challenge.

So essentially, you gimped yourself intentionally by playing EE off the bat and you relied on tranqing things from afar. Then you come on here and state that MGS3 is dumb because people hype it too much. Of course the game will kick your ass if you haven't learned it, for all you know it was possible to sneak around instead of relying solely on tranqing everyone. It's like ordering the hottest food item on the menu, and then complaining the food is too hot and you burned your tongue. MGS3 can be played in a variety of ways, and you chose the hardest difficulty where you have to mix your strategies up based on what you learned on the previous difficulties. Play it on Normal, and make an effort to sneak around. Sure, the game doesn't FORCE you to sneak, but all the mechanics are there for you to use and make the experience more enjoyable. The game is geared toward sneaking, so it will also play to that strength.

This is the kind of shit I'm talking about. There is no real defence of this game or the rest of the series.

Tranqing enemies from afar does not work magic, besides the point, it's part of the most proper way to play the game as designed for. All these "options", and options not be inherently equal, do nothing more than undermine the game and create excuses for shit games. Which takes us full circle back to the nongames. The people jerking off to MGS, even round here don't know a fucking thing about vidya, and that's a shame.

It was decent enough, but nowhere near the game it has been made out to be. I think I like it now though that I did find what it was really about, the problem is the game is so poorly handled that 95%+ of the rest of people who touch this game will completely miss what that is.

I don't want to play pretend, I want to play the game. If you were me this wouldn't be a problem to understand.

So what you're saying is that you "think" that MGS3 doesn't have any options to play it differently and that they're not fun enough? Sneaking and run'n'gun arent equal, anyone can see that, but the point of the game is a SNEAKING mission. It obviously FAVORS sneaking already. It says so in the god damned name.

This is subjective but I think that MGS3 had a lot of variety to it. It threw a lot of curveballs at you with the boss fights, levels and overall gave challenges for you to overcome in inventive ways. I will admit that it was a change of pace coming to it straight after playing MGS2, but overall I'd say the game offered enough challenge, even without EE difficulty.

So you admit it was just disillusionment with the game? Infact, is that your only reason why you think MGS3 is shit?

Mind clarifying what it is that people are missing? Or what you think was poorly handled in the game?

Oh brother. If you were me you would understand why your complaint with the game doesn't really work, but the only way for me to try and clarify this point for you is through words. So please think up of a PROPER reason why you think MGS3 is shit, beyond "Holla Forums hyped it up too much" or "the most challenging difficulty is nearly impossible!"

Metal Gear Solid 3 isn't a great stealth game. In fact, none of them are. It's always been about the story and themes, within the context of the game itself. While the stories themselves aren't particularly groundbreaking, the pacing and delivery of the story is. Disabling bombs in MGS2 wasn't a very interesting mission, but after learning about the stakes, and the backstory of the person who planted the bombs, you understand why it needs to be done, and might actually care doing a generally boring mission.
Beyond that, the games are a sandbox for trying things, like messing with guard AI, doing weird things for unique dialogue, or finding easter eggs. Embed related is the kind of shit I'm talking about. Many games nowadays are made with a mindset that says everything can be found in one playthrough, and isn't hard to find. Metal Gear Solid (especially 2 and 3) encourages you to try new combinations, use everything you have at hand. Sure, you can play the entire game tranqing everyone, but that's only one way to do it.

Also matthewmatosis should be taken with a grain of salt; his preference towards non-tank controls in the Resident Evil remake he expressed in his halloween stream is enough to invalidate his opinion.

Now this is an user who can see the bigger picture.

I had wondered what his thoughts on resident evil would be recently but I didn't know he would go full retard.

I believe he said he'd never played much of the series like he's obviously done with MGS, Mario and Zelda. Regardless, a man who can't appreciate tank controls is not a true man.
(sage for off topic)

I just played MGS series for the story, don't really care about the gameplay. Which is why I fucking hate 5.

The story of Snake eater is pretty good but OP is a dumb faggot with ADD who probably thinks Metal gear rising is good. End blog. Let's turn Holla Forums into MySpace.

How is the PS3 remaster collection thing?

A good way to look at it. The gameplay still improves across the games, but the story is where the level design, mechanics, missions, etc. come from. This is where 5 falls apart, because it doesn't have a good enough story to explain all the random, stupid shit you're doing.
MGR is great as a character action game, but not as a Metal Gear Solid game. Good thing it's not called Metal Gear Solid, which you somehow failed to notice.

There's nothing wrong about it, as far as I know. Just don't buy it or give any money to Konami

Lower framerate when dips but higher resolution than 360.

This point I concede, it is not part of the Metal Gear series and I suppose it is a good action game. I just don't really like spin offs that make no sense. Why call it Metal Gear? For the brand name?

PW is garbage, technically inferior title with less depth, awful bosses, full of useless fluff and grinding.

Trying to shoot all the kero-tans in one MGS3 playthrough is an absolute nightmare. If you shoot the kero-tan in an area, then die or get mission failed later on, you have to shoot it again. I didn't realize this until late in the game. And the motorcycle sections is a complete nightmare when trying to let alone find that fucking frog.

Usually I don't bother with challenges like this, and even now I can't remember what the reward was, but it keeps haunting me.

Nigger why the fuck are you even here?

So exploring (with actual goals and so on; it's not NMS) isn't gameplay, now? Finding out more about the game's universe through playing the game isn't gameplay? What exactly do you consider gameplay then? Only the act of avoiding or killing guards? They've even been playing up the "you need to find gear on site" aspect in the games, so why the hell wouldn't that be gameplay?

Non-tank controls will always be objectively better than shitty tank controls, provided the devs aren't fuckwits and can build the game around it. Your biggest enemy in a horror or survival game shouldn't be that your character is handicapped and can't even do basic things that any non-cripple human being should be able to do. If you let the player simply walk to the side instead of turning on the spot like a retard, all you have to do is design the enemies with that in mind. You know, like in every fucking game that doesn't have tank controls.

Tank controls is one of those fucking awful things that are objectively bad but people keep praising them because of nostalgia and/or because they want to be different from the masses. Liking shitty controls doesn't make you a man, it makes you a person with low standards. Instead of asking for bad controls you should be asking for games designed for good controls.

Because it takes place in the same universe as the Metal Gear games and features the same characters and plots, and of course for the brand name so that it'll sell better.

I hear Konami's latest release of MGS 3 has received critical attention.

Is this fucking sack of shit ever going to come to PC?

Kojima always said that the stealth in the Metal Gear series has always been a fluke and he doesn't view the series as stealth action. He always viewed the series as more of an infiltration simulator than anything else, which is why MGSV doesn't penalize you for killing as the other games do..

I always been tempted to replay MGS3 on PS3 one of these and then I remember the Kerotans. I much rather play something from my backlog that isn't just a remaster of a PS2 game I've played to death.

what movie is this?

If I throw shit at a wall some will stick.

This laughable notion about freedom in vidya is pure casual filth. Creating giant piles of nothing is not a game. And that's what options really boils down to, menstrual on a canvas.

Pretending is also not a game, maybe for autists. I'm not going to sit around and wait for things to happen, or make the game for the developer.

I loved MGS3 when I first played it a few years ago, but I was half retarded at that point. The game is serviceable but then it's taken to retarded levels particularly by the same ilk who think all the garbage of the day nongames are great, MGS very much helped create a space for these retards.

What people are missing is that they don't see the game itself, the one buried under a mountain of shit, because of the design I suppose.

You will never get it. You have yet to level up. I'm the best.

Go away.

fucking this

some thread 404'd for this