Moving forward or backward moves you (speed)*1 units forward or backward

Why can't John Carmac do basic fucking trigonometry?

because square roots are expensive

Because square roots were expensive on the 386, and when he wanted to do it right later, he was met with autistic screeching.

Because it totally wasn't id Tech 3 that famously used the fast inverse square root black magic.

Actually, wait, you don't even need that. Just have a constant variable set to 1/sqrt(2) and use that as a multiplier.

SR-50

Also Thief, also Dungeon Keeper. That shit was pretty common in the 90s.

He knew. He just liked the mechanic

He already had speedrunners in mind, because he was a visionary.

In the first Thief you can retain your forward momentum if you time your jumps properly, going faster each jump. You can go so fast in fact that when you hit a wall, you'll take moderate fall damage.

Gee, it's like it's a whole new engine! With new hardware that isn't a toaster.

Point and laugh at the faggot.

Cosines were also expensive.

Vector math is built upon trig.

"Bitches love my colored lighting." -John Carmack, 1997

Autism-man did literally nothing wrong.

It's a shame about Occulus being sold to Goybook.

That doesn't mean you should call fucking trig functions every frame.

Learning to make your functions generic, so that they simply reference variables that can be easily changed, is one of the hard /agdg/ lessons I've been learning lately.

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

How have none of you faggots commented that the only square root you need for such a function is rt(2), which you could just store. You'd only have to compute it ONCE.

See
Read threads before you post in them, mongoloid.

he's having trouble hiring the square roots he wants

it doesn't matter what they look like.

just fuck my shitter up

Off topic, I'm not the only one who clicked into this thread because they were curious as to whether or not Alton Brown was pitching some kind of VR Iron Chef game, right?

Read the thread faggot.

You probably are, yeah.
That sounds rad, though.

Holy shit there is a resemblance. Never noticed this.

People make mistakes, get over it. Like the "deaf seargent" bug, and the infamous "a medkit you really needed". Hell, there's an even stupider mistype in Quake's progs.qc (where "==" is used instead of "=", it results in a sound not playing when displaying certain messages)

lol, I forgot all math after highschool this might as well be Chinese.

People being proud of their own ignorance is such a terrific sight.

Moving at the speed of sound was one of the best things about Thief.

Why do Americans say physics instead of physic?

Because that's the name of the subject. Mathematics is the whole name, so it's shortened to Math.

But both are just Greek words dubiously translated to English as plural nouns instead of adjectives. Why would you turn the plural to a singular just because you shortened the word?

Isn't he the guy who was beaten by Anita Sarkeesian as more important in the industry?

Because some of us can't afford that extra 's', user. We're too cheap to pay attention, you think we can buy all these fancy consonants?

I don't know, dude. Why do we call Jesus that instead of Joshua?

Oh, look you you with your fancy fucking Hebrew transliteration. You think you're so smart, tell me the name of God!

Because the Jews forgot years ago, apparently.

benis

Good memeing but to be honest and objective, they are both irrelevant

Carmack at least does still does tech stuff. That alone makes him more relevant than the entire cadre of vidya commentariat put together.

wew

The original Quake C code is a fucking disaster. Carmack left a note in the source saying that everyone had a part in it and it was a clusterfuck and he wasn't very proud of it. It was all written in like 3 days too so you know that won't end well.

99% of people will literally never ever use any of that gay shit you learn in school in the real world (and unless you actually work a compsci job, your programming hobbies are not the "real world") You people need to fucking kill yourselves. I asked all my math teachers in school and they could never give me a real answer until I got to 12th grade and my based as fuck teacher (who is one of the only people in his field qualified to teach math) said that no, you will not use any math you learn past middle school in the real world.

Mathematicians are the smuggest cunts in the universe, don't even bother with them.

They're almost universally cocksuckers. Nobody gives a fuck if you can find the square root of a rhinoceros' cock. They should go out and work a real job and contribute to society. Unless you're an actual engineer that does useful things knowing how to do math doesn't make you any better than anybody else.

Funny that you talk about real world skills when you more than likely never leave your house.

Somebody's projecting.

Truth hurts

You best be dealing with it then.

I dunno dude, maths can be pretty useful in carpentry.

Lol stay mad

It's funny you mention that as I come from that background. It is however not a skill that is required for the bast majority of the population and is instead a job specific skill.

Here's your (You)

Lol at the hyper-spergy, "It's not logical, captain, so I don't need to learn it", shtick. What makes it so funny is that you try and hide behind "real world skills" despite the fact that you more than likely possess none of those either. Do you:
I think we both know the answer to any of those (no).

Of course, I don't expect you to actually have an answer for any of this (you will more than likely submit some form of blubbering "n-no you!"), so I guess I will just have to be content with a grown man regaling us with butthurt screeds about how he told his teachers he didn't want to do his homework. I look forward to your post whinging about how your parents made you go to be before 10 ("GOING TO BED BEFORE 10 HAS NO REAL WORLD APPLICATION, DAD!")

Yes
A little bit. Mostly in the the application of fixing my own shit but I have never worked as one. It's a really shitty job. lol
I do work in this field.
Yes. More than you probably.
wew
Been staying up all my life and I turned out fine. I'm not a weak willed faggot.

It is fun to watch just how many technologically illiterate retards populate this fucking board.
The same gaggle of retards who will complain about why they claim hair can't be rendered right or why bodies are always having to melt away or any other modern techniques to keep modern games running.
You faggots don't even know about what was needed to get the OLDER games to produce the magic that they do.

Just do yourself a favor and stick to consoles.

The way I see it:
If Carmack knew about this problem he would have increased friction like he did in Quake 2. All entirely demonstrable with a console command too. You can also change a singular variable in Quake C to do this and there would be no performance loss. Better than the Quake 3 solution of eliminating air control entirely.

How do you grow a clefted chin.

you become a butt head.

Is it a problem though?

I ask because all too often people will complain that the controls of a given video game are awful when in reality they are tight, responsive, and unambiguous. What they're really complaining about is that the game they're playing doesn't control like the last game they played. That sort of autistic aversion to change.

Are you talking in the express context of air control? (not strafejumping, jsut being able to manipulate your path in a jump.)
Merely having it is nice because you can still influence your trajectory and the game flows better. Even newer games that are derivatives of Quake such as Team Fortress 2 have it while games like Quake 3 do not.

back to halfchan

Could you be any more of a child

Just remember, these are the type of retards that populate this board.

Finances rely on math. The actual people pulling the strings are all using math. It's like you don't want to become Jewish.

Mathematics are important for just about all the highest paying jobs, unless you go into legal or medical work. Even then, logical thinking, which is a fundamental skill that math requires, is needed by all of them.