Guild Wars 2

So, I wasn't around when GW2 launched, and didn't see a lot of discussion. Maybe I'm kind of late for the party, but is there a Holla Forums guild of sorts?

I got to try it recently. My opinion is probably very biased though because I've played a lot of shitty MMO's recently, but this one feels like the first time I played WoW. The main cities in particular are amazing.
I'm digging the mechanics. There's a certain simplicity in them that I appreciate. And several quality of life improvements. Materials auto-deposit in their own storage (that is shared between characters) and you can get more bags by simply playing it instead of buying them in the store.
The PVP is pretty fun too since it's not just "ye old deathmatch" but I haven't tried World vs World yet.

What's Holla Forums opinion on it? I'm thinking of dropping money to buy a costume or two.

Oh btw, I can see one thing folks that love MMO's would get upset about: the game doesn't feel like an actual MMO with months of grinding or how easy it is to do everything. Especially with the fast travel.
Feels more like a classic RPG that you play online and see some other folks around.
That might be why I love it so far though, reminds me of some Neverwinter Nights servers I played on.

There's probably still a guild on halfchan. The general consensus on GW2 is a bad game at launch that got further ruined by awful writers pushing bad writing.

Who cares about a fucking MMO story. It's bad because the gameplay is bad.

user, there is no Guild Wars 2. They never made a sequel to a pretty great MMO.
They did make a shitty spin-off filled with forced politics, shitty combat, and shitty gameplay though.

Right. The "bad game at launch" part.
They didn't bother to try to change any of the gameplay, so the only thing that got worse was the awful writing.

Gameplay got worse too

Nobody here likes the game except me and nobody wants to discuss the fact there's some pretty good shit in it because there's an understandable nostalgia factor about GW1 which was the objectively better and different game.

Protip, OP, once (if?) you have a leveled character and feel at terms with everything the game offers, get a shared slot and a copper salvage kit, helps immensely. You will reach a point where the salvage just keeps coming for steady profits.

There is no Guild Wars 2. Guild Wars is still miraculous clinging onto the servers, even as a dead game, though.

That better be a motherfucking typo where you accidentally added an extra 2.

Nigger I bought this game at launch based on the fact that it was a sequel to Guild Wars.

I played for hundreds of hours trying to delude myself into thinking there's anything fun in it.

There's no skill variance, there's no indepth strategy to your moves, it's literally mash buttons the MMO. It's absolute shit, stop shilling and get the fuck back to reddit with the rest of you tranny lovers.

Yeah fun is sure a buzzword. Here, have some Jora.

OP back.
Alright, I get it. Guild Wars was a great game.
I know, I played it too.
And I know that sometimes sequels don't live up to the expectations laid from their predecessors. The DeusEx series comes to mind as the best example of that.

But I'm trying to judge the game on it's own merits, and what I've seen so far, I've liked a fair lot. Instead of 32 diferent trees of minor upgrades for my character I get a single screen with all the stuff laid in it.
The "stats" are few and are succint enough on what they do, none of that jrpg shit "this stat raises attack based on an arcane formula you'll never get acess to so you don't know if +32 attack or +32 crit dmg is a better choice" shit.
The PvP is fairly active and players actually try to cap objectives and do shit.
And exploring the world is a delight. Besides being very detailed, it's packed with tons of little details I've never seen in other MMO's.

For instance, once I got to the Silvari capital, there was a little plataform and some diving googles. You can use those and dive into the pool bellow pulling some spins on the way down.
Take a moment to think about this one thing. It's a minor detail with barely no effect on normal gameplay. It's there purely for you to have fun with. Nothing else. And this is the first to come to mind, I've seen a bunch of others like this so far.

The quests are pretty good too. There's the standard kill X of Y that I dread. But every few minutes I find shit like 12 dudes about to start a tavern brawl and I gotta stop them.
Is it challening? Nah, not really. But it's fun. And that's what I wanted out of a game.

I gotta say though, I haven't seen enough of the "writing" to judge it. Can you guys point me to some bad examples?
I've seen some gay faggot being bullied and some minor cringy stuff so far.
Also seems I can't see the "Living World Season 1" stuff now?
That's kinda shitty. Season 2 is still available, why not the first one aswell?

I haven't seen any of those yet. They look fun though, where do I go to do that stuff?

I'm begging to wonder if we played the same game. Last night I got a buddy playing with me. Both engineers.
Using only the rifle skills, we managed to keep some bitchboy down going back and forth without moving by timing our abilities and using proper placement.
I also tried a bunch of diferent stuff in PVP with a ranger and every build I tried played diferently (more emphasis on trapping and hit&run, or pure all-out sneak attacks).
What do you mean with "skill-variance" anyway?
Oh, you're one of those guys that don't actually play games, just perpetually bitch at it and consider "fun" a buzzword.

R E M O V E D

G O N E

N E V E R C O M I N G B A C K

Haven't tried much about salvaging.
I got pretty invested into the Cooking profession, it's probably my favourite aspect of the game so far.
The "discover new recipes by experimentation" is a neat idea in the other professions (managed to figure out how to enchant shit on my own) but with cooking it truly shines.
It's a shame that the internet ruins that sort of thing since you can google and find a recipe list. But I aim to discover as much as I can without external help.
Already found out how to make hamburgers, so I'm half-way to be the greatest chef ever.

Really? Were they at least re-implemented in the world or replaced with something like it?
Those things look great as time waster.

I think crab toss might still be around?

But yeah the sanctum sprint and dragon ball are gone.

Sanctum sprint was literally destroyed, never coming back.

Dragon ball is a seasonal event. They MIGHT bring it back. They're funny about that kind of stuff.

I know what fun is.

Using bland moves that don't do shit that you can't customize at all barring equipping different weapon types in a world completely removed from the actual lore by people who went "Yeah I heard about that place once from a developer we laughed at for being a nerd, let's just name drop it" sure is fun. Spending $60 on a game that takes everything that you loved about the first game and takes a giant steaming shit on it sure is fun. Having gender politics shoved in your face sure is fun. Jumping puzzles with the absolute WORST jumping mechanics sure is fun. Wasting 100 hours bare minimum of your life trying to validate a 60 dollar purchase looking for the fun sure is fun.

Get the fuck off this board you goddamn apologist.

Season 2 is full of hamfisted lesbians for no good reason. Not even exaggerating, every other sentence is basically HEY REMEMBER US WE'RE LESBIANS. Season 1 ended with a fucking lesbian kiss after the death of a shitty Harley Quinn rip-off villain voiced by Harley herself. It was horrendous, people complained, and the writers changed for the first expansion and the ongoing Season 3, upping the quality considerably. It's still not great, but at least it's passable and can be entertaining.

You can't play Season 1 because all of it happened in the open world. It was a magical time but people whined there were no instances you can "replay" and they caved for Season 2 and onwards. There was nothing else quite like Season 1. Go to Kessex Hills and see for yourself what remains of S1.

Cooking is great and most fun to discover recipes. Can even be profitable later on. You need a lot of karma ingredients for it too, so look for them at hearts merchants. Artificer potions are the closest to cooking discoveries, the rest have an easy template to follow. Scribe is guild stuff only and needs to be backed by several people.

Sanctum Sprint is an activity. Activities rotate daily and you can play them from Lion's Arch. There's that race, hot potato but with crabs, and a hunger game. It's there, but they patched out those skips.

Here, have a guild jumping puzzle. Find a guild and make one of your own.

I don't think I play games too much nowadays. If I joined a guild, I might end up being a burden, thus I don't commit myself to that sort of thing.
Can I make a small guild with a brother or a friend and still do all that stuff?

It would take you longer. You'd need at least 5 people to own a guild hall if I remember right. There's lots of easygoing guilds out there, though.

One last rant before I give up and leave your shilling circlejerk.

The ending of the story to this game is one of the worst pieces of garbage I've ever seen.

You save the fucking world and some faggot-ass tree runs up and goes "OH YOU DID THIS? YOU MEAN I DID THIS. THAT'S RIGHT EVERYONE, I SAVED YOU ALL! NO ONE ELSE HELPED! ALL ME!" Everything you did is stolen by a snobby piece of shit tree because the developers wanted their Mary Sue race of treepeople to be the true heroes of the story. Not you, not the other people who helped you along the way, one fucking piece of shit self absorbed tree.

Fuck Guild Wars 2, fuck the writers, fuck the people who developed the game, and most of all fuck everyone who apologizes for this absolute abomination of an MMO.

Why are you talking about GW1 and Kormir, our one true lord and saviour?

GW1 was legit one of the best video games ever made. GW2 took everything that made GW1 so good and threw it out, then proceeded to make a bland WoW-esque piece of open world trash.

First, you don't say "I judge something on its own merits" and then say "instead" to compare it to something else. Second, you don't get everything about a character on one screen, because all of the different skills, traits, and equipments are on different tabs of the same window that cannot be opened multiple times. Build management involves a lot of jumping back and forth between pages if you're doing it in-game.

If you think of zombies chasing seasonal achievements as "active", then your standards must not be that great. PvP is a slog and the random nature of it can often pair you with people that are either garbage or don't have the same goals in mind as you.

It's novel, for sure, but it only means that ANet has more sprinkles on top of their shit sundae than most developers. The novelty of diving goggles and randomly active quests will not maintain the interest of anyone who starts finding faults in the core design.

Can't help you much here, but most writing complaints have to do with retcons of GW lore. More recently, pretty much the entire main NPC cast has been eviscerated in favor of putting the spotlight on a new team made up entirely of diversity hires.

Such was ANet's Living World strategy for the season - content they make that exists one month and is gone the next, because it makes the world feel alive and not at all like nothing has really changed in the game's world over the past several years. They are supposedly working on a way for people to go back and access it, which is another way of saying that it will end up as a bullet on their next expansion and won't be delivered until at least a year past said expansion's release. Season 2 was released in a different manner, long after many complaints had rolled in about how not being able to access old content was bad.

Speaking of the expansions, don't buy them. Don't support ANet with your money. I would even ask that you not use the gem exchange, because converting gold to gems and raising their value just encourages other people to drop money on the game and buy gems. The reason I ask you not to buy the expansion is because ANet has this Kickstarter dev mentality where they tell you they'll give you something for buying the game and then don't end up delivering on it until way after release. Case and point, the first expansion was released late last year and they still haven't finished releasing some of the things they claimed it would have when they sold it to people. They'll run the same con on the second expansion as well. Don't fall for it.

Crab Toss is awful and the idea you would watch that webm and reach any other conclusion is beyond me. It and Sanctum Sprint are both available in the daily activity rotation, which you can look up yourself.

Go look up how many skills there were in GW on the wiki. Now take into account that you have dual professions and full freedom over your bar versus the weapon locking and restrictions on the last five slots that GW2 has.

Fun is a buzzword, and if you don't think that, you're in the wrong neighborhood.

You're not wrong about that.

Fuck Kormir and fuck the entire Sylvari race.

Er, I mean 2015.

You know there's something wrong with a video game sequel sequel when every single one of original devs who worked on the first game is no longer in the company in any capacity.

My condolences, OP.

Fixed.

Obligatory embed in every Guild Wars thread.

You did memorize the combo table, didn't you, mouse?

Communist pandering, cash shop allows you to buy ingame money. The literal definition of pay2win pvp sucks, weapon/class restrictions and low number of skills require you to like every skill in your hotbar

and Most importantly
This games nothing like Guild Wars 1

I remember not paying attention to any of the game's story after they pulled a "WE WUZ KANGZ, PAY US REPARATIONS EVIL WHITIES ASCALONIANS".
One thing I'll give it credit for is that it has one of the best open worlds out of all popular MMOs. But that's not saying too much.

You mean Charr?

The writing is honestly pretty shit. Some of the origin stories were somewhat interesting, but the main plot went full "with friendship we'll win these dragons!" They should've used the racial tensions in the main plot and not just rely on the dragons. The seasons were pretty fucking bad, and HoT didn't do much better, but it's nowhere near on the levels of bad of S1, which btw isn't even accessible anymore because even the devs knew how god-awful it was.

So, what's wrong with the gameplay?

I haven't really looked into it, but a lot of people have been calling it boring, from what I see.

I also hear that both the story and the pacing of the story are pretty shit. Is that true?

Yes to all your questions. I advise to read through this thread from the top, they're all already addressed.

there is no gw2

bad writing? sure
forced politics
a noble sacrifice every chapter
end chapters got butchered for new players
HoT is incredibly rushed as it gets to the end
No one knew about Mordremoth
Everyone knows about Mordremoth
Mursaat dindu nuffin
Charr dindu nuffin
Mary Sue Harley Quinn rip off voiced by Harley Quinn voice actress
Trahearne being the new Komir

Mash RPG and cuhrayzee game elements of gameplay together, remove any skill or strategy and then spam buttons to win.
GW1 made you make a build before each zone.
No build could be used everywhere and when it could it was nerfed into the ground (Ursanway)

On the contrary GW1 did both of these more effectively and that was a good part of why it was so well liked.

THERE IS NO GUILD WARS 2.

This "game" is cancer.

Checked

I ain't even arguing that GW1 did it better.
Like I said before, I also played it and like it a lot more. Sure, it was great.
But I also like GW2. It's a diferent game altogether that does diferent things.
I didn't dig the "5 locked slots based on your weapon", but that system did allow them to put in some interesting interactions with objects and mini-games for instance.

I guess that's the main reason I enjoy it so much. I didn't play it expecting "Guild Wars: even more guild with even more wars Edition".
I expected a different sort of experience and I'm pleasantly surprised every 5 minutes with stuff I find.
Pretty sure I'll get bored with it in a month or two though, but then again, that's what happens to every game. Thank god for my backlog.

Even the shitty writing acknowledges it's just an illusion and not real, lol.

Still, at least it's a minor NPC you find. Doesn't real faze me that much.

I misinterpreted that then user, my apologies.

I can understand people getting upset over the game not being something else.
Folks who liked WoW's "collect a bunch of +1 or +2 for your build" won't find it here since everything of that type is piss easy to find.
Folks who wanted the bajillion skills from GW won't find it either.
I stil argue that 2/3 of those skills were garbage. It had that "capture skills from bosses" thing that was fun and about 20 or so actual interesting skills that weren't just "game closer" "aoe nuke" "aoe heal" "strong heal" and "damage + more damage if condition is true" but the rest was trash people barely touched. How many warriors did you see NOT picking ranger for the troll unguent?

Still, it's something different and plays differently. In my opinion, it's a game more about exploring the world (it has a lot of content for that) and a bit about PvP.
Guilds don't seem to matter for much except for being social clubs to hang out with your pals. And if you don't have friends like me, though luck.

Wasn't it censored by SJWs at some point with added numales and propaganda later?
I remember asking if it's worth trying out and was bombarded with evidence how pozzed the game was, so I didn't touch it.

Whathever anyone says about SJW's, I ain't buying it anymore.
I made a mesmer for the mini-skirt and confirmed that not only there's breast physics, there's also butt physics.
That's good enough for me and shows not everyone in the team is an SJW.
You're kinda right where some nu-trannie faggot injected his shit in the game in the form of a minor NPC. It's in the thread. I haven't seen anything else, but aparently there's LESBIUNS. I dunno, as long as they're hot and not retarded, who gives a fuck.

Gw2 is to guild wars what fallout 3 is to fallout.

Gameplay is good on its own, and worlds are well-made. But if anyone genuinely likes the story of GW2, they are lying.

Still no GW1 tho.

I think the most retarded thing was that there is a already Complete Makeover Kit in the Gem Store that has the option to change the player's gender. It's not exactly brave, as is really just something you can shill for gems.

The two new main characters of the new Destiny's Edge ripoff are a lesbian couple. They do inject that in the first season of Living Story, but they do tone it down and become characters of their own by later seasons and HoT. They also look okay.

Its shit, bought the game like a good goy at the start and it felt limited in the skills and the only way to play it is using the meta as in maximun damage always, no different builds like in GW1 for different situations, you will never discover a wierd skill set that JUST WORKS

Da fuck?

They removed a lewd animation of the female humans because womyn dont stretch like that.
Also I think they modified some women armor to make it less lewd

I played the beta and was disgusted with what I tried. People said it'd get better with launch but from what I saw it was the same. I almost dished out $250 for the collectors edition because of how much I adored the first game.

The first game is still active, especially during holidays and is still a much superior game. Even the visuals are much better despite being outdated.

I think the game could've been great and got partway there before kike ownership and decay of the original dev team took their toll.

I personally enjoy how free and mobile the combat is, but it's gone from the unbalanced but skillful, timing and positioning-based combat of the early game to an unbalanced button spamfest.

Writing has always been shit. Even ignoring the SJW presence, it's trash.

Game modes. PvE dungeons were a mess and have been largely abandoned. The best dungeons were added as limited content and were only eventually partially restored as a couple of fragments you can complete in fractals. Fractals are a selection of randomized minidungeons you do over and over and over again for dailies. Repetitive garbage. I didn't bother with PvE raids given the track record, they're supposedly challenging but slow as molasses to release. Game will be dead before the first raid dungeon's done. Some of the biggest world events were actually great. People often point to the marionette fight as the best one, exciting, good-looking, rewarding, and dividing up the map blob into tiny groups who all needed to succeed, creating skill requirement for what were historically autoattack fests. Good world events don't come out often enough to support frequent play, though.

I've only done structured PvP occasionally, alone or with guildies. I used to enjoy it, but as I said before, the button-mashing has killed it for me.

World vs World, where three servers are matched in a FFA across four maps, had loads of potential, and for several years was good just for large-scale open field fighting. It was largely neglected by the devs, and all major updates delivered more bad than good, unwanted PvE content and incentive to turtle in structures with unassailable siege weapon defense you'd need to grind down for an hour. Skill changes also greatly reduced the ability of a small, skilled group to engage a large, disorganized one, and the vaunted "zerg-busting" is mostly dead, only succeeding once in a blue moon.

The art has always been the strongest element of GW2. If the other aspects had a quarter of the skill and resources put into them as art did, GW2 would be GOATAY. Dozens of huge, beautiful maps and dungeons, many of them now lost to their retarded initial idea to allow access to them for only one month after they were launched.

The expansion was ultimately a disappointment. Very pretty maps, some alright map events and one good one, a pretty bad (but less lesbian-filled) story with a mechanically challenging but thematically lame final boss fight. Skill changes shit on sPvP and WvW with DotA ripoff maps to the former and huge, unnavigable siegefest maps to the latter. PvE raid development stunted.

For the past couple years, I've only come back for a week or two every few months for WvW raids with my old guild, and now even those tasteless normalfags are burning out hard. I'll always mourn what it could have been.

Defend this.
Marjory's sister died for nothing.

Hot.
Or it would be if you didn't had the graphical settings on "potato".

her sister was literally there for all for few mins almost no one cares about her cept her sword and was only there to serve to make Asian girl moody as fuck.
Season 1 was only bad because of the pacing and it took almost two years to complete, but had some of the best content like the marionette and so on
season 2 vines and shit was pretty shit shit story telling aftermath of Season 1 going into HoT
Heart of thorns start of it we got our shit fucked up people die and or go off in the background thru out this expac
season 3 ep1 bloodstone explodes nothing amazing happens, ep 2 two dragons awaken you deal with souped up Destory minons that now have bullshit from last two dragons also stop a volcano exploding with 4 magical spike orbs that can only be actived from a dwarf, ep 3 We deal with moody Hamsandwitch and Quaggens(wish this things would be killed off already) also BigHam Gets so moody he wants to send all the norn to their deaths by fighting the ice dragon.

on the side note I've touched up gw2 a bit during wintersday made plenty of gold thinking of cashing on my account and all and selling it for a few hundred bucks

But they're cute!

I guess it's to avoid the "reddit spacing" memesters.

Oh. So a completely dumbed down on-rails fetch-quest cartoon edge-sperg-lord shit-tier non-open-world "RPG" with a radar based compass featuring factions and arena pvp (instead of actually fun free-for-all pvp) and based off a shit-tier RTS game that somehow barely managed to squeeze in 2 sequels before everyone finally realized it was shit?

Cool I'm glad I never played Guild Wars 1 or 2 because it sounds breddy fuggin gay. Just like WoW.

Came back a day or two later to call you a faggot and tell you that you suck at videogames.

Yeah, you can try and go for MAXIMUM DAMAGIUM. Or, you can pair up with someone else that can dish out cooldown reductions. Then focus your build on clone spam. You can dish damage by blowing up the clones, but the main point is to fill the battlefield with random crap and targets for their skills. After trying it with a Necromancer helping me, I randomned with another Mesmer with the cooldown reduction crap. Do we kill shit? Nah. We just keep them low-HP and on the run. In PVP that means we cap and we keep the cap. Except for AoE (the only weakness) the clones eat up every skill they toss at us, only for another clone to pop up in it's place. Imagine getting to a point with 2 teammates and seeing 12 people in it.

It's the most fun. If you just stacked "marxmanship" for the ranged damage, you're a faggot. Get in close, spam traps. Or better yet, lay out of combat. Put down 5 diferent traps, Then hide. Hit and Run. No signets means you're actually weaker than most people. Unless they activate ALL your trap cards and find themselves with a bunch of conditions (that your pet is specced to exploit, unless you specced it for MIXMIUM DUMUGE like a retard).

You can just spam creatures and then casting CC to keep them underfire and it works. Or you can be a cool kid and instead focus on what that class does better: turn their Boons into Conditions, remove Conditions from you and your team and make sure that every advantage they think they have is actually a disadvantage. That, combined with the Shroud that allows you to last forever if you can use it properly, helps a lot more than just DAYMIGE.

And I'm a newbie to it. Just spent 2 hours swapping shit around and seeing what works besides raw damage.
Give it a go isntead of sperging out. I don't mind every other critic, because it is legit. The story is shitty and the number of skills is downright pathetic. But complaining there's no builds is also retarded.

Wins the prize for "Biggest Concentration of Buzzwords in a post"
"Lel, I got 5 more levels than you, you dead".
"Here, we outnumber you 4 to 1, you dead".
"I paid for this armor and weapon, you dead".
Man, those were fun times right?

I don't think you've played videogames at all.
You're in the wrong hobby. Why not take "assfisting"? I sound like a natural pro at it.

Yeah because GW isn't full of you faggots. Right? Grinding is fun for you. Fetching shit for faggot NPC is fun for you. No exploration is fun for you. Look at you sperg out in response to my shitpost opinion.

Level then you fucking newb faggot. Don't come to my area and cry when I kill your trying to get my exp/loot.

Since you apparently know what assfisting pros sound like I'm going to make the assumption you're an actual faggot that just got assblasted I summed up your retarded game accurately.

Easy to "defend", actually. Low graphical settings and especially JPEG don't really help much with quality.

Oh, it's you again. Christ, you don't even bother to use a different set of images. Now I feel dumb for replying seriously.

What's it like being dumb and gay?

And that was the only good thing WoW had going for it too, when noone knew shit about the world except some bits of lore from Warcraft 3.

lmao, Back to halfchan with you nigger.

Wait, did I even bother responding.
You haven't even played it.
You don't even play games.
FUCK, I'm talking to a normalfag.

You keep saying retarded shit like this as if WoW was ever even meh-tier. WoW's "open-world" was fucking shit compared to Asheron's you underage fag.

Maybe in your shit-tier "MMO" it doesn't. I cut my teeth in UO first 3mo then Asheron's Call pvp-only server for ~4 years. You had to have pvp-skill to exp or someone like me would come to your exp area and send you to your fucking Lifestone. So in an actually good pvp MMO yes: level = skill.

I dunno. You outted yourself as an assfisting faggot too. The fuck is wrong you?

Ah, I get it now. Your favourite game closed doors and you're mad so you take it out in threads about other games.
You really oughta calm down there chap. Posting retarded shit is not gonna bring your fantasy MMO back.

Actually I play DDO and NW, while testing Project Gorgon. None of the newer shit scratches that actual pvp itch like pre-pre-cast shank UO, or pre-housing Asheron's pvp-only server.

Keep pretending WoW took skill, and was hard. Keep pretending these Korean-style games are good. Stay gay.

Find me a single post where I said that.
When someone starts putting words in another person's mouth just to be right, it's the moment they're proven wrong.

What about when someone starts putting fists in another person's ass?

He's the one who's not getting a sore ass next morning, fuckboy.

I was, I got it day 1 and still regret it to this day, I stuck with that fucking awful game right up until the "expansion" pack was announced and quit.
Go play GW1 instead, yes the servers are practically dead but it's far FAR better.

How would you fags rank the races SJW-faggotry?

I think humans are the worst. They always have the tranny characters, they only remain existent because of plot-armor welfare, their city has the most multiculti writing etc.

Sylvari are kinda there, being the hippy elf-types, but they also have decently somber tone in their writing. They are reminded to be alien from regular evolutionary cruelties.

Charr are pretty much the most right-leaning race in the game, however, they have this emphasized gender equality. Which in itself ain't that bad, but having a strictly 1:1 ratio of men and women in military slightly irks me since such doesn't ever happen in reality with humans.

I don't have much experience of the Norns or Asura. They seem okay.

Pretty much like real humans: a few are pretty good and distinguish themselves through their actions, the rest either ride on the first one's coats to glory, or ride on mediocrity their whole life while screaming how unfair the world is.

Lesbian Plants. Elfs + /u/, I don't even know why are there male Sylvari. It's the fan-service race (in a game packed with fan service already). Pick these for the same reason people pick elves: to infuriate other players.

Gender-Equality? Yes. But ACTUAL gender equality. Read: the females actually go to war and kill shit. Or they actually study and work in mines. Gotta be the only race that has "stronk independent woman" and doing it right and they'll claw your face off to prove it.
Best of all, it's not an Amazonian utopia where males are superficial or dumb labor slaves. Everyone does their share. What you have between your legs doesn't count shit, it's what you have in your hands that matter. All around, my favorite race.
Females still fit better in Ash Legion, they're more slender and acrobatic after all.

They're vikings. All in all a boring race unless you really like vikings. I do, so I like'em, but they don't really have anything else going for them. Tried a female Norn Mesmer to be a giantess with illusions for lulz. It's funny, because with the greatsword, I sorta look like a Valkyrie. On the other hand, the story keeps treating her like a warrior that gets drunk every other day so it's kinda shit.
Then again, the story was always shit.

Second favorite after the char. It embodies the "smart" race and they're also smug about it. It's very detailed too, and they take the "small race token" without being the traditional "quickfoot" role like hobbits, meaning they're not condemned to be rogues and other dexterity based classes.
Also, clang. Lots of clang. And hacking, and computers. Holy crap, they're fucking cool.
Best city too, as much as I like the Black Citadel, the Asuras build some impressive shit.