Good open world anything

Does such thing as good open world game even exist?
I really fucking want game with fuckhuge seamless map where I can go wherever and do whatever, but I also want it to be a good game - with good combat, good enemies, good whatever non-combat activities devs could come up to.
Is making game like this so hard?

Post games that you think did it right, I won't shit on your game if I disagree with you, and I will give it a hones shot if I didn't play it already.
Bonus points for chink/jap setting.

Other urls found in this thread:

aje.oxfordjournals.org/content/early/2013/09/09/aje.kwt135
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

"The Perfect Open World Game" is really only perfect on paper and just "okay" when put into practice

c. The entire GTA Franchise

If wandering around an endless landscape is so important to you, why not just go outside?

The best video games are like theme park rides: the thrills, chills and spills are carefully portioned out so you're craving more by the time the game is over.

Did you learn nothing from Nu-male's Sky?

I played several GTA games, and never could get into any one of them.
Both top-down and 3D ones. Most importantly I didn't like combat, but off putting settings, stories and characters only added to negative impression.
Same for Saints Row series.

I can't tell if you're being ironic or moronic.

Here's what I think is the problem with GTA
GTA V, for example, is perhaps one of the most impressive games ever made from a technological and scale perspective

But its just not very fun, like they took the fun out of everything. Driving feels too easy, combat feels too easy, there's just no fun. As a driving/walking simulator its fantastic and I find myself still booting it up just to walk around Los Santos, but the fun just isn't there. GTAs problem isn't that its a movie full of QTEs, its problem is that its too "polished" and plays it too safe from a gameplay standpoint. And so the fun is gone. Video games should be first and foremost fun.

Just go outside dude, head to some forest or something, take a backpack and a phone/camera, breath that fucking fresh air.

ebin

Why are you giving me a meme response when im being serious here?

Die alone in front of a screen and then burn in hell for all eternity for all we care, then, you pile of shit.

Well it's not out yet, nor have we seen anything of it yet, but apparently Dynasty Warriors 9 is going to be open world. They said it's going to be a "rebirth" of the series.
I'm guessing that it's going to play out something like a Mount and Blade mod.

Minecraft? All autistic fandom aside, the possibilities in that game are endless and building a world with online friends will always be fun

unless they update it to the point that fun is more alien than a Mexican at Starbucks

Minecraft is literally the shittiest overworld though. Its the largest, but large =/= better. In fact, the worst open worlds are typically the largest because the largest ones almost always get "nothing but empty space syndrome"

I like the Spider-Man games, but I don't know if they'd be up your alley.

>tfw I'm still trapped in suburbia surrounded by shitty liberal faggots with nothing but houses and the occasional busness track/red light district in a 30+ mile radius of my house

I'm so jealous user, you have to explore that shit and make some nice memories.

Well if not GTA or Minecraft, wtf open world games are there that are actually entertaining?

Shenmue, Sleeping Dogs.

But I like my Videogames with a bit of GAME in them

What suburbia? Or the state itself? Because I've done both. I've been all throughout this state, from Yosemite to Death Valley to Irvine, this state really has everything.
Suburbia? I've walked all around this city, its boring. I've done a bit of urbex down some abandoned railways and even abandoned buildings up in LA near Griffith Park, there's a lot of shit to explore over there, I could probably write a book if I wanted too. But for the most part nothing is anything special within walking distance of me, just a lot of soulless people. To find anything interesting here you need a car.

Well, i guess that we all have different outlooks on life and the stuff surrounding us.

Runescape

Minecraft 1.8 with mods and custom maps, I shit you not, it's great and comfy.

GTA, Saints Row, The Saboteur, Mercenaries 2, WoW, TDU 1& 2, Burnout Paradise, and the AssCreed series are some of my favorites. Watch Dogs included.

Not OP, but because I wanna fall off shit, blow up shit, kill shit and not die, be injured or get arrested IRL. Also too broke to afford to do anything, and the real life outdoors when you're not in a hub of civilization is boring as shit.

I just realized how IGN I sounded there. Fine, have the patrician list.

It may not have been the better RPG, but it had the better OPEN world, whereas Fallout NV is relatively linear and New Vegas proper is a pain in the ass to explore with all the shitty loading barriers.

Exploring shit by yourself doesn't make nice memories though. It's pretty boring unless you can do it on your own time or have someone to share the memories with.

Speak for yourself, i can get enjoyment out of simple moments, stuff like just being alone on a rooftop is really amusing imo.

Just Cause 2, while a good game, is still A BAZILLION SQUARE MILES OF FUCKING NOTHING TO DO in large swathes of its map.
Mad Max is DRIVE AN ALUMINUM CONTAINER OF GASOLINE AROUND UNTIL YOU HAVE KILLED EVERYONE, AND THEN WHEN YOUR CAR IS RELIABLE, THE GAME IS OVER.
Fallout 3 requires far too many mods from that cuckold factory that is Nexus to be tolerable, if only to fix the fucking billion bugs in it, and hope that the mesh of mods don't cause MORE crash situations.

I should mention that I really love old and abandoned buildings and ruins. For that I would recommend the Assassin's Creed series since urban exploring in ancient cities is just really comfy.

Also I've been recently enjoying Witcher 3 for similar reasons, as well as the absolutely beautiful forests and landscapes.

I'm also looking forward to Zelda Breath of the Wild, it seems to be just the kind of open-world I've been waiting for some time now

My main problem with GTA V's world is the fact that while it's big and pretty, it's also really empty. For example, the only buildings you can visit outside of small shops and the main characters' homes.

the only buildings you can visit outside of missions are small shops and the main characters' homes.*

Witcher 3

That's one of my biggest pet peeves in sandbox games.
You have this huge world with tons of buildings in it but the developers go full Dark Corners of the Earth with like 0.5% of them being able to enter and interact with.

fuel is the perfect example of "see that mountain?"theres fuck all to do

In sacred 2 you can open every door, enter every building and take every staircase there is.
But yeah you can't do anything except for finding little easter eggs or secret dev NPCs.

Regarding Assassin's Creed, II and Brotherhood, I would strongly recommend turning off the HUD and if possible, print out a map of the in-game cities (although using the in-game map is acceptable). They did an excellent job with giving it enough landmarks to help navigate yourself around the world and you feel like a genuine explorer. Losing the Sync/Health bar gives a little extra challenge to the combat as well.

Then they went to Revolutionary Era America and completely missed the point of the series. I've yet to play Unity or Syndicate, but they seem to be back on form for what I've described above.

asscreed 3 was an abomination

Saints Row 2 is still one of the best open world sandbox games, its just a shame that it never really got a good PC port. The game was filled to the brim with content, customization, great radio stations The Mix is best, activities like being a body guard for a celebrity or spraying buildings with shit, it was a great time.

I'll always love Revelation. Fuck me if Ezio exploring Constantinople with his best looking, coolest goddamn suit aged like a fine wine killing muslim shits wasn't comfy as fuck.

Sleeping Dogs, It's a good game chock full of things to do.

too bad the developers went kaput

Plus the extendo-hook made climbing and getting down to street level faster

You neglect to mention the Wilderness, AKA the greatest exhibition of copy pasted tree paths the world has ever seen.

You know, I should rate Revelation more. At the time, I felt it was kinda derivative and tired, but that could have easily been due to the yearly release cycle they were pushing for at the time.

I like Morrowind's map and Skyrim's one to an extent. Pokemon games have a decent amount of land to explore. Okami has a gorgeous world. Legend of Zelda is pretty neat too.

The thread seems more contrarian really. There's plenty of interesting open worlds. And if you can't enjoy any of them, why not go outside. I've been exploring the capital of my country with great interest. The mixed architecture is interesting.

Revelation is heavily underrated. Everyone talks about whether 2 or Brotherhood were the best but no one even brings up Revelation. Some parts were shit, but at least they didn't take away from the original formula. The setting was unique and fresh, the combat had more interesting weapons and techniques, armor and weapons became more integrated, not every other mission was
It was an interesting time period in Ezio's life, the only things I say that were actual trainwrecks in the game were the ending and the rooftop commandsim horseshit. Other than that, solid 7/10 game. Best in the series, imo.

Plus revisiting the original assassins base from AC1 during winter as Ezio was really neat and I got a slight glimmer of a feel when you find altairs corpse and ezio talks to it.

I live in Washington state, and grew up in an area called the Key Peninsula.

Shit was the middle of fucking nowhere in a goddamn no-place corner of a very undeveloped state, at the time, anyway. Forests all over. I romped a fair bit as a kid, and it probably chilled me a fair bit, since I'm very quiet and unassuming in life.

I guess it'swhy I like wandering around Minecraft and shit.

Agreed, and it also had a badass trailer if as well Embed related, exposed me to a very talented musician named Woodkid who did the music for the trailer Honest to god, Assassin's Creed would not have the shitty ass reputation it has today if it hadn't
Perfect wrap up to the series. Apple is retrieved, continues to be hidden but only in legend, no more installments. Ezio dies peacefully later on and the series ends. A beautiful story wrapped in a bow, with an acknowledging nod to its predecessor in AC1.

AC would have been an amazing series if the people currently working on it never got the job. They needed to have more time between titles, they needed more variation in settings and eras between each game, they needed to not get so carried away with the apples, ayyliens and current day shit. And of course the 'multi-culti team' that just ended up with the pozzest of pozz working on the series absolutely killed it for me. During brotherhood I started to sympathize more with the Templars than the assassins and by the end of revelations I realized that the writing ended up being "everything I don't like is because of Templars. Everything that doesn't fit into the writing teams world view is ebul"

I keep wanting to give 4 a go since I like pirates and anons claim its breddy gud but I can only imagine that its more 'dum templars lmao' shit

They're lying to you. Like every AC after Revelation, its mainly filler content. I guess if you want to play it for pirates yeah it could be cool, but that's it. Assassin's Creed: The 4th one that is the same regurgitated shit but with pirates ayy lmao. Also, no Desmond/Plot story outside of the animus. IIRC it's just a random Abstergo guy who they throw in the animus because
I've only played about 90% of the game so I can't say for sure. Also,
Pretty sure most competent people agree with the Templars.

Gothic
Dragons Dogma

You would need to get either randomly generated map or map that pretends to not be randomly generated, aka Daggerfall.
All of game developers still use same strategy in terms of creating a game world. Make content and stuff it into copy pasted villages, each 100m from another.
Besides Daggerfall there were no games that had some actual space between stuff, just for the purpose of having some realistic distance between things.
You will also run out of content in everything pre-created.

I must agree. Fallout3 was decent open world game. You could walk around and find interesting stuff.

I fundamentally disagree on DD being open world game.
It's as open as Diablo 2 is, with added verticality.

It is open world technically. It has one level you can walk everywhere you want on level one.
Of course problem is it is very much not open world in terms of quest structure which only leads you on to certain are of the map and you have no real freedom in which order you are doing them.

For me one world level is qualifier for game being Open World. It fails to design itself as Open World but really it doesn't mean game is badly designed and OP is "Good open world anything".

Entry points between locations ruin the feeling, you can see "invisible" walls from meters away.

The Division

If you've played the ship missions in III, then you're not missing out on much of IV. They just took the ship combat and made an entire game out of it, and threw in slightly more features. For instance, instead of a "assassin managing sim" where you send your little pupils out to the ends of the earth to fuck someone's day up, you now send ships with various types of cargo through trade routes. If the ships make their journey, you get cash and other rewards. It's basically the same shit from III, but slightly less annoying, because the journey times are relatively short, and people on your friends list who also have the game can speed up the process for you by donating to your ship or something, like some facebookshit. They also threw in some battleship type mini game in which you command a fleet of ships and do battle with opposing forces. This helps clear trading routes, which are marked by how dangerous they are. You can also capture enemy ships to add them to your fleet. This probably the most fun part of the process, because you're actually able to board a ship, slaughter the entire fucking crew, and commandeer it for yourself.

Aside from all that, it's just III but in a tropical setting. You can even tell they reused a hell of a lot of assets from III; Edward has the exact same killing animations as Connor, for example. As for the plot, you play as a silent Abstergo employee who is tasked with using the Animus to "research" Edward's memories. Edward is a Welsh faggot who ran away from his wife to go be a pirate in the hopes of making his fortune. He gets caught up in the Assassin/Templar fisticuffs when he takes a job that leads him to attack a band of assassins. His employers are Templars, they lead him on about some magical artifact they need to find, and some faggot called The Sage who is the only person capable of using it, blah blah fucking blah.

If I remember correctly, Edward is the sage, he uses the crystal skull or whatever the fuck to open some ancient alien device that can predict the future, and he uses it to help the assassins claim the majority of the Caribbean for themselves. I don't know if that's right, it's been a while since I've played. Meanwhile, Minerva is running around inside Abstergo's servers or some shit, and this terrorist faggot tries to bomb the place in order to help her find a body to inhabit or some shit. Honestly, who cares about the story.

You guys are gonna call me a faggot for this, and i agree to some extent.

Asscreed 3.

I loved the fact that the open world felt alibe, animals, enemies on patrol. Cities and forest were created in such a way that i wanted to go explore.

Nothing is more fun encountering a british patrol in the middle of the forest and slaughtering everyone with a huge marine axe.

Story was shit though.

I should probably throw in my suggestion of 7 Days To Die

I modded out all the special infected and just treated it as a roaming game, never setting up camp in one spot and just roaming from town to town

I mean all the games are bad, but the reason people talk about those two is because they at least have a nice setting and you can die. In Revelations it is literally impossible to die during combat. When you're brought down to your last bit of health and the screen starts going black and white, a guard will not attack you until you're out of that near death state. As soon as you get out of it they'll hit you again, but then it will go right back to waiting for you to be able to survive another hit. It's fucking trash and you should be ashamed of liking it.

Sounds like the same issue with GTA IV to be honest.

I never knew about that because i've never even come close to a death state in any the AC games i've played. The only time i've ever died is from misjudging a jump and falling to my death, and that increasingly became a non-issue in the later ones since you'd grab onto anything at any speed without any penalty

Black Desert Online

It's cold comrade user, and you look like you need some space vodka.

The only redeeming feature of the series is its parkour mechanics, and even then they're only tolerable because not many other games let you climb every surface you see. Actually, I'm pretty sure BoTW is gonna outdo AC on this level. CLIMBABLE BOSS FIGHTS

Tippity top kek, i recall there was a M&B rip-off (the combat atleast) in Chine with World of Tanks progression system and waifu generals.
I think the name was Tiger whatsitcalled

Well the series is turning 10 years old this year. Also climbable boss fights aren't anything new Shadow of the Colossus & Dragon's Dogma did that years ago.

I've noticed more people talking about ass creed lately though, probably shills or the combined release of the film & the free legit copy of the third game last month might be to blame. It did get me to pirate the ass creed 2 trilogy to see what the series was about though.

Boiling Point: Road to Hell
GTA series
ARMA series
Morrowind
Fallout: NV
Just Cause series
FarCry series
STALKER series
Elite Dangerous
KSP
Dwarf Fortress
AssCreed: Black Flag

fuck open world games

Do those games let you climb every surface? I'll never know because I didn't own a PS2 and my PC is too shit DD.

too shit for DD*

Does Pokayman count?

Not an excuse. It's possible to get a course of injections that will cure that these days. Sage because this thread is already complete: go the fuck outside.

Most places outside are either freemium or off-limits though. As in, cool ass state parks you have to pay to get into and they don't let you climb every mountain. The outdoors suck shit, user. You should kill yourself for even suggesting it.

The outdoors are great. If you want me dead, come try to make it happen, you fat cunt.

Good luck taking hikes in flat ass woods you don't even own, good goy.

Well now I just can't take your posts seriously, anymore.

I'm gonna help him drag your prissy bitch ass out of the rotting tree trunk you live in and stomp your shit in, good for nothing wood elf.

trespass in my woods and you might catch a .308

lol no range. 6.5 Grendel will rape that little boypussy of yours.

not an argument friendo, nice try at making OC, though
keep making me fucking laugh

Sure it is. You are going to list of an endless revolving door of reasons you don't want to go outside, rationalized backwards from the conclusion which was formed by other factors which you will never actually tell anyone because they embarrass you. The game for you is to distract me with the "reasons" until I become fatigued, because no matter how many I would refute, it would do nothing to address the actual reason, which is tied to your very existence and cannot be changed by my words. I know it, you know it, and it's boring. You are pathological and nothing you say has any meaning.

You sound like a humongous faggot who over analyzes everything.

Nah, I've just dealt with fat retards like that kid before. The entire universe apparently conspires to stop them from going for jogs in the park.

Morrowind

Let's have a real conversation for a sec.
aje.oxfordjournals.org/content/early/2013/09/09/aje.kwt135
The reason you can't think of anything more interesting to do than walk in straight lines when you're outside is probably because you're a fucking retard lol.

There are no monsters to fight outside. You can't even go fast wherever you want. Outside has barely any fun content.

Monster fighting is the indoors analogue of hunting, to clarify the causality you're trying to confuse here, go off-road somewhere, and the last point once again comes back to your own inadequacies in mental and physical ability. Having ceded that outside isn't a walking sim without even fighting it as you will no doubt instantly cede this, I'm going to draw a line between the two points and say it trends towards reality, i.e. the furthest point away from your position possible.

Yeah, shooting some deer that don't even fight back is totally like taking on monsters in a dungeon.

No, what you did is list legit arguments and then look at them under false premises like "lol ur obese" and disregarded them. That's not an argument.

I don't have enough money to go anywhere worth my time, and all I've got in my yard is a few acres of woods and a big boulder. I'm tired of taking jogs around the area I live in, because I've seen the same shit over and over again. It's not like I can venture too far off because I live in the country, and if I step on somebody's property by accident, I'd get shot.

It truly is amusing how you keep trying to shift this from an angle of smug intellectual superiority like a Redditor but every post you make just makes you sound more and more retarded.

Keep posting, I like being called obese. It's a nice testament to NEVER FUCKING EVER.

The closest vidya-like experience I've ever come to in real life that wasn't Minecraft or The Sims is when I fucked with some midget kid in middle school, and he immediately jumped about-face, raised his fists, walked side to side and kept trying to punch me in a pattern.

Reminded me of Morrowind.

Go shoot a bear or something if you want it to fight back.

They aren't legitimate arguments, they are made up bullshit. Directly deny that you're obese or just take it like the bitch you are.

Sorry it took me a while, user. That was a good one. Happy b8ing.

Yeah, because that's always legal.
Give it up, user.

Give what up? Trying to increase your IQ and decrease your weight with words over the internet? Your ego is astounding.

Innawoods is pretty fine open world.

Rust is the perfect open world game.

Sorry user but stupid large player guilds have fucked up Life for all of us. I'm not going to play that shit game unless I find a few friends to play it with

You can play old versions with the official launcher now, so you'd just have to get your friends to be willing to play the old version/agree with you.

Speaking of, are there any good innawoods threads happening anywhere ATM? Or greentext stories would be good too. I'd like some comfy spoopy and/or survival reading.
Polite sage for off-topic.

San Andreas, Ultimas, Wizardries

Hahahah, no.

And Might and Magics.

One of those games where it's so bad, it's good.

GTA IV was more confined but less polished. Neither were as great as SA was for me but nostalgia goggles might blur my reasoning here.

What do we mean by open world though? There's a lot of ways it can be pulled off, see: Dwarf Fortress, Mount and Blade, Daggerfall, etc. etc. All pull open worlds off differently, which implementation is better is for you to decide.

It's not that it is bad, it's just that the budget was spent in all of the wrong departments. Voice Acting and small details took over the Animating and Cutscene departments, then the executives meddled to have tacked on zombie shootin' gameplay to the whole thing and Swery's team just half hassed it enough to be playable AND easy, with lots of infinitely respawning items.
The game is platinum tiers of comfy, I'm fairly sure they tried to capitalize on the comfiest aspects of DP when they made D4, except no one bought it because

DD is fantastic and is one of my favorite games of all time but holy shit its open world sucks.

Asheron's Call was probably the best implementation of an open-world. It seemed to be built on some sort of flight-sim engine using SQL as the backend. The zones were divided into subzones; with the subzones divided onto many servers in a cluster. You could see for miles, and there was NO loading between adjacent subzones when travelling. Hell the only real "load" screen was when you used a portal shortcut to travel across multiple subzones, and it was just a ~5 sec wormhole type animation.

Too bad Turbine lied to us. They just shut it down, and never released the server install so we could run our own.

ITT: Fat faggots triggered over the idea of going outside

You are wrong and retarded.

Pics related.