2.5D

Nothing sickens me more than a fully 3D game limited to a 2D perspective. Who in the fuck thought this way okay? Fuck everyone else who thought this autistic choice of game design was okay. You either make 2D sprites properly and a full 2D game, or you make a full 3D game in 3D. It's lazy, It's cheap and it's flat out fucking unprofessional.

Other urls found in this thread:

dinofarmgames.com/a-pixel-artist-renounces-pixel-art/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Fixed-perspective 3D does work, but only if you are able to maintain the suspension of disbelief. I think the 3D Pokémon games are a good example.

Well, I know of an easy way to know if anons agree with you. Donkey kong country returns/tropical freeze and rayman origins/legends are very similar games. However, one series is in 2.5D, the other in true 2D. Does Dong seem to suffer for it ?

So you are telling me that Tomba 2 should have been a 3D platformer? No thanks.

Nobody is going to make good looking sprite animations, it looks terrible to modern consumers.

It's not a matter of autistic design choice but of marketing. It's the same reason why we don't see many black and white movies nowadays.

Yeah with with topdown perspective, but platformers are another story.

Or 2D you fucking autist, 2.5D is the problem, it looks worse than sprites, and it has physics which don't translate aswell as a 2D game would have. Or they should have gone the FULL 3D route like Mario 64, either way it's a piece of trash.

I'd prefer a good sprite to some small shitty chibi low detailed 3D model

As would I, but this artist explains why it's gone for good;

>“While they look a bit pixelated, the character models look quite good”-IGN review of KOF XIII

dinofarmgames.com/a-pixel-artist-renounces-pixel-art/

Ewwww

Did you not hear me say platformers? You're fucking retarded

Lol you fucked up now.

Did you not play Brawl? Its a kirby platformer disguised as a party game.

its cheaper.

I can't read your mind user, you made only one mention of platformers saying it was different than a top down view.

Also the game genre is irrelevant in this case.

I like how the old DK Country games did it with 3D renders that are turned into 2D sprites. I'd like to make a game like that sometime.

That artist makes mobileshit.
Ignoring that though the bigger issue is that HD sprites look like shit because they tween all the animations. Spelunky HD is a good example but there are far worse ones out there. Either you animate frame by frame or you forget it.

If you don't think this level is pure magic you have no taste. OP is a fag.

This looks even better than the first DKC, i hope that CEmu can run it.

Why does it apparently take a monumental effort for anyone to make games with a lot of sprites anymore, particularly fighters? Street Fighter III had beautiful spritework with fluid animation, but it seems like any dev, big or small, who tries that nowadays has to cut corners everywhere or make the roster tiny as fuck. Is it just a lack of artists who are good at that sort of thing anymore?

CEMU has been able to run it just fine for awhile now AFIK

The first one to invent an effective 3D render to pixel art filter will be a wealthy person.

That's not what 2.5D means, you underage piece of shit.

Nah. Fuck you.
Lots of interesting things get done with 2.5 D, like in the Viewtiful Joe games.

The DCR games are beautiful but they they are just a bittersweet experience for me. Waggle spoiled the first one for me to an extent and I never could get over them making your Kong buddies into just powerups.

This gay shit looks like what happened to Rayman. No challenge and just some cutesy stuff thrown around.

this