>hack_me

store.steampowered.com/app/526740/

How does the hacking genre have such a low bar? Hacknet was polished but had nearly no gameplay. It seems like hacking is a big topic and only going to get bigger, so why the disparity?

youtube.com/watch?v=SQs0sxVBnZs

Other urls found in this thread:

bb4win.sourceforge.net/
overthewire.org/wargames/bandit/
ferrousmoon.com/OnlinkSetup-0.2.5.exe
jaapsch.net/puzzles/lights.htm#descmini
jocm.us/index.php?m=content&c=index&a=show&catid=124&id=600
twitter.com/AnonBabble

ow
!

Its actually worse than it sounds, most of the GUI is just screenshots of other programs that have been resized, so the buttons are there but don't work, and the GUI text is in Russian but since its scaled you can't even read it.

But it still made the developer at least 10,000 United States Dollarydoos, so what is it about the hacking genre where people will buy this blatant garbage?

Uplink 2 when?

Never ever

After Subversion

Desperation most likely. Uplink left us wanting more. Most fun I've had with a hacking sim though was this one online game where you could actually optimize the hacking script and whatnot with a scripting language, and also build programs that could automate missions. I've even been theorizing how a successor game could be made if I ever become competent enough at coding to make my own scripting language

Screepers?

Have some more.

I'd absolutely kill for an open-world game like Watch_Dogs where you have to actually code your own exploits with an in-game scripting language.

What game? Sounds fun.

Sounds like hackmud.

Forget what it's called, but,

Game's long dead by now

Coding your own exploits based on real techniques is one of the biggest things I want in the game, almost like pic related except not pure assembly but some pseudo thing like TIS100 and now I want a Zachtronics hacking game

More schway stuff that I had lying around.

I'm working on a hacking sim where you can use batch files as virus payloads, so you can kind of script exploits via windows shell commands

The reason hacking is so "easy" is because most systems are locked down and retarded and GNU makes everything open. Real "hacking" is the type of stuff you see at DEFCON and such where you wire undocumented PCI with copper or fumble around the WiFi driver stack until you worm you way to an exploit you can set up.

I dunno why, but I'm really interested in what Mr. Shitface is jerking it to, compared to say, Hideo. I want to see what Jade Raymond is rubbing one in to.

We have to go back Doc.

Literally one of the laziest forms of animation possible. Even lazier than Simpsons-tier Flash animation.

Dubs confirm.

DEPORT
THEM
ALL

It must be Early Access reviews that saw "potential" in it

Or RU players so thirsty for content they'll play anything if its localized

The true name of the game was bugging me, so after trawling through halfchan archives and reddit I finally found the name:
Dark Signs

The saddest part of this was the fact that this is not the first time I have looked through those sites for the name of the game

You can actually make you UI look like that.

hmm

Looks impressive, what was the gameplay like?

With no programming skills?

Meant to post pic related

The only Environment I know you need programing for is XMonad.

The pictures are of Enlightenment 13 with weird themes and a customized Shell (the program that runs inside of the terminal window).

If you want to try it out a schway Desktop on Windows, BBlean is only a couple of megabytes and executes from a single exe bb4win.sourceforge.net/

Use Task Manager to close it or do it from the program itself.

Thanks user
Much appreciated

Else Heart Break has this, where you can bend reality over your knee and spank it by doing things like coding a door to send you to another location, a key to open other things, change the inventory of vending machines as well as the price, etc

np

Pannekoek for the rest of us?

overthewire.org/wargames/bandit/
:^)

hussie?

Is quadrilateral cowboy shit?

Yeah, it's pretty fucking trash.

Should i have expected anything better from the thirty flights of loving guys, or are some devs unsalvagable?

Finally, an opportunity to cash a niche.

What are some good hacking games besides uplink? I need references.

goddamn, thats too much

pls respond

You got all the responses with good hacking games other than uplink already. There's a reason the amount of responses is 0.

Because manually hacking things, even with a pseudo language would be fucking boring. Which is why every hacking mechanic in games is a fucking short short short minigame.

if you want more Uplink, you can give Onlink a shot
Onlink is pretty much an Uplink mod that is Uplink+, as it introduces a fuckton of new security systems (bandwidth monitors, active encryption, VSEC), new hardware (20 qBit Satellite Uplink modems, RAM management, 500 Ghz Nano Async processors and such, cooling equipment for your processors, auxiliary gateways you can switch to and use in conjunction with your main gateway in real time (e.g. using one as a fileserver and the other as your main workhorse)), new software (you can hack personal computers now, you can perform DDoS attacks, you have an administrator panel now), the UI has seen some improvements (e-mails and objectives are stored in separate tabs, both of which can be filtered and listed on certain orders, same thing foes for your links), new missions (including a new storyline highlighting the new mechanics), new server types acting as security systems (these ones will make you pull your hair out) and a bunch of other shit I forgot to mention.
Strangely enough, the entire mod comes pre-packaged with the entire Uplink game itself, which would normally prompt companies to C&D it, but I guess Introversion let it slip. As Onlink is substantially harder than Uplink, you probably want to play Uplink first and get a general gist of the mechanics before you tackle Onlink. You can get it here:
ferrousmoon.com/OnlinkSetup-0.2.5.exe

Do note that it tends to crash sometimes. Also, I'd suggest getting good at Lights Out and Lights Out Mini in particular if you want to get past the VSYNC puzzles.

I think a lot of games like Hacknet tend to suffer from the general approach to hacking everything being too formulaic and obvious, meaning you're doing the same thing over and over with some new tools and security systems on top which you can easily take care of in no time. Uplink can feel like a glorified loading bar simulator at times, but at least you have to figure out how to use your tools in the first place. I guess hacking games would benefit from a more open-ended Zachtronics puzzle approach, whereas Hacker Evolution was too linear in that regard.

Also, recently there's been a mod in development for Uplink which gives it a massive graphical overhaul to resemble modern operating systems. I'll always prefer the minimalism though. You can see it for yourself in this video where the original two guys behind Uplink try it out.

is cool and all but i mean
for what purpose

lol

I tried it long ago but got bored of having to purge my character's entry in the criminal database every other game hour just in case some fucker wanted to framed me of whatever to murder my save.
That and FUCKING LIGHTS OUT PUZZLES.

there's nothing wrong with the file though

ferrous moon is ded anyway so you can't even complain to the devs about it

at least you can memorize the solution using this page: jaapsch.net/puzzles/lights.htm#descmini

but I agree that mini-games within a hacking games makes the hacking as a whole feel rather redundant, like with Hacker Evolution Duality

Hacker evolution: duality was just a repetitive string is the same 3 or 4 minigames played over and over strung together by a basic command line and an excuse plot. Precisely zero effort went into it.

hacker evolution as a whole is rather garbage
coincidentally I'm looking for whatever new stuff exosyphen has released on Steam and I mostly see a fuckton of DLC on their page, even including a DLC for a fucking tutorial mission

if they can't get basic game design right after ten years than they never ever will

it's a shame really, the hacker evolution series has potential to be a realistic command line based hacking sim but the devs just see mallergic to adding any complexity

So did anyone hack the dev yet?

Feeling like buying it, leaving a postmodern review and refunding it.
Should I do it?

go ahead

Imagine a world where Microsoft wasn't incompetent…

jocm.us/index.php?m=content&c=index&a=show&catid=124&id=600

Does anybody know what music in second webm?

>overthewire.org/wargames/bandit/

You are right, though. The real deal is much more fun than any video game interpretation could ever be. And this is a great intro for beginners.

Watch dogs. :^]

This thread is schway as fuck.
I miss /cyber/.

What happened?

ded.

xd SCHYWAY AHHAH SOYKAF XDDDD US /CYBER/ GUISE i use WINDOWS HOW l333333333333t LAINAINIANIANIANIANAIN and i also use VLC XDDDDDDD

just let us have fun in peace, Holla Forumsfag

You're thinking of lainchan, bucko.