Tales of Xillia

So, does Holla Forums love or hate it? It's considered the best tales by many that actually first met a tales game by starting with it, though most of the old fans seem to hate it with passion, including myself. What are your guys opinion?

Other urls found in this thread:

gamefaqs.com/boards/604158-tales-of-graces-f/62335075
youtube.com/watch?v=WbmCKT3XSAU
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

It's worth a play

Not part of the best 3 (symphonia,abyss,vesperia) because its tainted by Team Destiny development (and it shows, non-existent world map, shittier character designs, shittier story, less substance overall in story and even high ougis, and content overall)

Xillia 2 is even worse in everything but gameplay with the rehashing and shittier story.

However it's worth playing through once, and playing like Millia is super fun. It's a tales game that passes the test but the other three have way better gameplay for their cast instead of just Millia and Jude and the rest boring to play (with the exception of symphonia, but even then Symphonia's cast is all playable except the casters)

Vesperia > Abyss > Symphonia >>> Xillia/Xillia2 > Graces f >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> shit > Zestiria

You could at least start with why you hate it. Are you the person who thinks all the characters are shittily written and that Jude is weirdly obsessed with Milla for no reason?

Tales doesn't even really get discussed here beyond Symphonia. I thought it was pretty weak, there should have only been one Xillia game and it should have been 2. Bosses randomly dropping out of combos whenever they felt like it was easily the most annoying thing I can remember which 2 fixed completely and it felt great for it. If anybody doesn't care about the garbage story of these games they should just play 2 instead. I'm hoping Berseria is a return to form after Zestiria, but I haven't really followed the game at all beyond censorship controversy ensuring I won't buy it new if I buy it at all.

I don't know, I like it to the point it was probably one of my favourites in the series and I've been with Tales since the beginning but I can understand why more veteran fans might not like it. It's just one of those polarising games in a series, like when Final Fantasy started going off from the Fighter/Black Mage/etc dynamic and the vets who were with the series since the beginning weren't too happy about that. Same with Dragon Quest.

What makes Abyss so good? I couldn't get into it at all. I'm not sure if I can get into it either now that I know the spoiler.

These dubs

At least this fine young gentleman was deemed worthy of Kek's blessing. I'm out, see you in another shit thread, OP.

I played most mothership titles so far, in co-op when possible. Xillia 1 is good: Link system kills 3+ player co-op, but with 2 it's just fine. Combat is okay, but rushed development is evident.
X2 improves many things but having Ludger locked in the party is annoying. Also, it's the first Tales game I played where you can't freely edit the party in the field, which is also quite annoying.

Overall they're solid titles. The combat system has drawbacks with the linking, but at least it's not Zestiria fusing. Finally, Elize best girl. I wreck shit in the arena with her in mere minutes thanks to Negative Gate

Remove your os chip

I liked it and Xillia 2. They're not my favorites, but I found them rather enjoyable (though part of that might also stem from co-oping them, as I usually like to with Tales). You're right that people can be rather iffy about the entries after Vesperia though.

Give Tales of Eternia a play if you have yet. It's pretty good in my experiences.

Abyss is very much a love it or hate it entry, mainly due to opinion on how the cast handles. For me, the way the cast starts out really dysfunctional with each other and has to work to change or at the very least acknowledge their faults is something I found enjoyable, and even the villains got some half decent characterization too as to why they work for their boss. Really though, people are prone to dropping it before any of that can happen because they hate early game Luke so much, and I've even heard of some that LIKED him early on dropping it once character development starts to hit.

If not putting the older ones like Eternia in, I do agree with the order you lined them up, except for Graces. I still didn't played it though many to praise it, but then again, many also praise Xillia so…

And Xillia 2 is even worse? Jesus. I was thinking of eventually playing it since it's. you know, the second part of Xillia but I guess I need to be ready for more pain and suffering if I go though with it.

Also,what about you said of team destiny…
gamefaqs.com/boards/604158-tales-of-graces-f/62335075
This is what I heard too back in the day, so it's not true? Maybe someone can explain?

Asking /v 's opinion on a JRPG?

Don't bother.

Xillia 2's main issues are that you're locked with Ludger in the party until you beat the game, can't swap party members in the field (for fractured dimensions that at least makes sense; you can't swap out for party members that aren't fucking present anymore), and the debt system, which is actually manageable if you know what you're doing and has a lore reason (plus, compared to prior games, gald is easy as to acquire, just need to know how to manage it to buy what you need before the collector calls). Beyond that, it's the same Link system (unfortunately nine party member means mid combat party swapping doesn't work anymore) and the bulk of the cast is the same.

That said, I've liked pretty much every Tales game I've played, even the more hit or miss ones like Abyss and the Xillias, so take it as you will. I honestly found Xillia 2 better than Xillia 1.

Pretty good I think
Casters are fun and it finally has a good spellsword who doesn't just spell cancel. Biggest complaints are certainly about the world and plot, although I'd rate it higher than Zesty, Bears, or Graces in those regards.

This nigga gets it

I don't love or hate it. In terms of plot its not one of the better Tales of Games, but in terms of combat its probably my favorite in the series starts out slow and awkward but it gets pretty gud of the games I have played . Way better then Gracesf, but not as good as Tales Of Symphonia.

is /this a new meme?

I played both of them in summer and they were OK.
Xillia 2 is annoying because of Ludger silent character but it improved on gameplay. So start with 1 and if you like it you can give 2 a try as well.

I didn't care much for Xillia. Outside the first town the world doesn't interest me or even gives you much of a reason to care to explore it. The cast is a little boring personality wise but definitely fun gameplay wise. Jude is a shitty protag and Millia is much more fun in Xillia 2. Alvin is the most fun to play for me and Elise is cute. Combat is better than some of the other games but I think X2 really fleshes it out.

I'm upset that everyone doesn't go full Power Ranger/Super Sentai in Xillia 2. I think that was wasted potential. Though it would obviously be a sad ending if that happened.

Our JRPG threads are very civil and full of discussion. I would rather not talk about JRPGs almost anywhere else.

Xillia 1 and 2 were supposed to be one game but was rushed and split into 2. With both games feeling rushed. X2 has obvious padding and X1 has some bad pacing at times.

On another note, what do you guys think about the moon only games like Hearts DS, Destiny DC/Remake, Destiny 2, Rebirth, and the Dungeon games?

Xillia is fine. Gameplay's pretty alright, story's okay, characters range from likeable to generic. Not one of the worst but you could do better.
Xillia 2 is better, though. Characters are given time to not be shit, story is interesting, gameplay's better. It still mid-tier, but at least 2 is upper mid-tier

Jude sucks, but Alvin is the biggest problem of the party; not only he's a horrible character, but he makes rest of party very stupid as well. After all, how many times you can get away with betraying your party and getting away with it? According to Xillia, there's no limit!

Actually, there is. Alvin fancies himself to be the kind of guy that can just betray people left and right and care for nothing but his own interests (getting his mom better and both of them home). It's what he knows best, alongside combat, likely thanks to his jackass of an uncle. However, considering he grows to actually care for people beyond his mom for once, as unwarranted as the party's repeated trust in and even tolerance of him might be, his repeated betrayals eat at him until he finally snaps after the incident on the Zenethra, nearly murders a fifteen-year old girl, and (depending on the outcome of the battle) gets his shit wrecked by Jude after he finally snaps out of blue screen mode. It's only when he sees who's been there with him despite his bullshit, who haven't been simply using him, that he makes a full change to stop being a lying, traitorous asshole, though he understands that it might be too late for him. Part of why some of the Fractured Dimensions in Xillia 2 really hit him pretty hard, as a number of the ones dealing with him dredge how he used to be up. He's lucky that he and Leia have made up somewhat by that point.

You're right though, in that Xillia does stretch the logical boundaries that a normal person's patience with another might be. Jude's optimism and faith in others is both a good and bad trait. It gets him and everyone else into trouble at times, but it does ultimately help Alvin grow into a better person.

All Tales games are shit.

So who does Alvin fug? I personally hope it's Elize.

He's got more of a dynamic with Leia, though it seems a lot more like an "older brother/younger sister" one. Elize is rightfully distrusting of him and really prone to holding a grudge, and while not outright spiteful in the sequel, makes it clear they're not especially close, especially early on. She tolerates him, but like all the girls seems to crush on Jude (at least until Xillia 2 with it's relationship system).

I assume if he did fuck anyone, it was Presa.

I started it, but I have a hard time continuing. The VA is subpar, the characters are meh, the story is only mildly interesting, though I suppose I haven't to the fun part, and the gameplay has been simple ever since I got a party and a healing spell. Plus I started playing it around the same time as Trails of Cold Steel, which I got into a lot more.

I gave up 30 hours in. I really could not stomach another big open field with recolored enemies that I'd need to grind so I can level up enough to fight the next boss.

Actually I'm hoping the same for Berseria, but I dunno…seems it still have flaws of previous entries, like lack of a proper world map?

Why are there so many Tales of games and why do they all have the same stupid names

Tales of Bacteria*

Well, there's a lot of games because it's remained popular in Japan. And for at least some of the games, the names do at least make actual sense. Destiny, Abyss (could have been interchanged in name with Symphonia honestly, due to the musical inclination), Vesperia (as in "Tales of Brave Vesperia", the guild they found), and Graces make sense with elements of the plots.

As for Xillia, this was Baba's reasoning.

And Tales if Berseria must be "berserk".

2deep4u

I wasn't claiming that one to have particularly fit the plot, just that that was the explanation for one of the more "out there" ones.

Destiny is still the most awesome name, Tales of Destiny have a nice ring to it. They should have stick with it from that point on, imo.

Xillia 1 had a better story, Xillia 2 was fuckin' retarded but has "better gameplay" in that everyone's movelist was updated and shit was added to existing characters, while adding more characters to play with, like the FINAL BOSS of Xillia 1, who's apparently just chilled out instead of getting offed. Xillia 2 also has a super mode for the new guy Ludger, but it's story is kinda retarded, but not that retarded.

Xillia 2 is more like an expansion pack to Xillia 1.

Tales of Phantasia (subtitle: ""Legendary RPG, Embellished With Voices")

Tales of Destiny (subtitle: "Fateful RPG")

Tales of the Abyss (subtitle: Discovering the Meaning of Life RPG")

Tales of Vesperia (subtitle: "Enforcing One's "Justice" RPG")

Tales of Symphonia (subtitle: "'Resonating With You RPG")

Tales of Innocence (blah blah blah "Connecting Thoughts RPG")

Tales of Xilla

What spoiler? plot have many things that can be quite a big spoiler, not even counting the ending.

I think the "Abyss" in the title is more straight forward to what it is referring to.

The fucking underworld swamp that the world is about to fall into, rather then Lukes personal shit, not that "Meaning of life" isn't also a theme though.

The dubs for the series sucked since Eternia, though in some games they're worse than others, like in ToP for GBA. WHAT THE HECK IS THAT?!
youtube.com/watch?v=WbmCKT3XSAU

Don't know about Holla Forums
Don't care about Holla Forums

But it is weebshit so ofcourse I love it. Wish it had dual audio though.

CFW can help with that. There was also an exploit available on up to 4.60 IIRC that allowed you to modify the install data from a backup in order to undub the game.
At least Bamco now includes dual audio in the newer titles, that's a big plus.

Muh Mission

Jude and Alvin are both annoying faggots

The games that end with "-ia" (Phantasia, Eternia, Symphonia, Legendia, Vesperia, etc.) are typically games with Summon Spirits in them. That's not to say that Tales games without the "-ia" never have an equivalent, however (like Rebirth and its Sacred Beasts), so the distinction isn't too important.

tales games are now on sale for few bucks until 21th

There's nothing weaboo about it.

Im not counting the non-3d Games. Eternia was great.

The problem with Xillia 2 is everything except its upgraded gameplay. The game rehashes the first world, the entire game except the final chapter is fedex quests and going to Point A from Point B MANY FUCKING TIMES and the areas are just rehashed from Xillia.

Xillia's leveling up system was cleaner than Xillia 2's leveling up system, which was made too easy later with strong whatever the fuck stones you got that gave you more ability points.

Xillia 2 in general was garbo, although the gameplay was more fun it felt like you just played it to get your characters stronger and see the plot (because the new story is the only thing to see, the rest is rehash) instead of enjoying the whole experience. also the story is shit for 2. time travel shenanigans , ludger is a mary sue, ludger steals the spotlight from xillia's party. Xillia 2 should have never happened and they should've just made a remastered Xillia with ludger as a party member and update the battle gameplay.

Does good Tales Of game exist?
Whenever I check the new one it looks even more terrible than the last. I was doing it for decade already.

1)Every Tales game not made in part by Wolf Team isn't a Tales game.
2)The last game with them in billing was Graces F.
Knowing one and two what can we deduce of Tales of Xillia. That's right it is not a tales game ergo it is shit.

user Graces F has the shittiest story in all tales. The OSt was tainted by Hibiki Aoyama and was not left to Sakuraba to do on his own. The cast is plain and boring compared to other tales of. Graces F gameplay was fun, but imbalanced (>no mana) and broken in many ways. Graces F did good incorporating sidestepping, thats about it.

I never said it was good just that is was the last one. Why do some many people fail at english on Holla Forums?

best tales of is tales of vesperia.

even if xillia had nice combat system vesperia had much more content. i m so sad that the ps3 version is Jap exclusive….

i didn t liked Grace F, sure the combat was great but unllike vesperia, synphonia, xillia etc..
the quest you have at the very beginning is actually the final objective.
once you catch your possessed friend, it s the end , after that you just have the epilogue (F arc)
so in one word: Grace F was underwhelming

however best Secret boss goes for Xillia
golden mage knight was a beast and so fun to fight against (well i juste like his quotes and voice it make you really feel like fighting a god …)

best secret boss is probably from abyss

i beleive you.
again the only reason i loved the Golden mage KNight was due to his voice and quotes.

in all tales of since vesperia you can make some nice combo (unlike IIRC in Synphonia where you had a KD unless you spam the same move again and again)

but its true that the most "DMC style" of combo goes for Xillia2 (or grace F i guess)
(webm encoding)

(You)

Depends on if you mean Wolf Team as in pre-split Wolf Team (some team members having been mad at Namco over changes forced on them to Tales Phantasia) or post-split. Because to my knowledge the people that stayed at Wolf Team after Phantasia eventually went on to become part of Namco Tales Studio after Namco acquired the shares to the team from Telenet.

I honestly think a lot of people don't know the actual meaning of "weeb" anymore and just opt to call anything with anime artstyles/themes to be weeb. I remember some years back, the first news about a new Wild Arms started to trickle out (shame that turned out to finally be mobile shit), and the reaction from anons at the time was mostly "Oh great, more weebshit" despite Wild Arms as a series being rather western in theme.

This a good thing.

It makes you sound retarded.

The artstyle alone would make it branded as a common weeb series, but it's also a JRPG with anime adaptions, anime tropes, [email protected]/* */ costumes, etc. What exactly makes Tales not weeby?

I meant more that a fair amount of people just started to apply "weeb" towards things that were overtly Japanese (anime artstyle, etc), or even just from Japan at times. Of course, given that at the time rugga kept on spamming his "Why do you all hate games with anime art styles?" threads at the time, I wouldn't be surprised if auto-branding games as being "weeb" was a reaction to that.

This is good. The more people hate my hobby, the better.

Still a game made by the Japanese for the Japanese only that isn't even set in a Japanese setting.

as promised
here you go, (sorry for shit quality)

BTW:
SPOILER chapter 12 of ToX2