Has anyone picked up this bad boy yet?

Has anyone picked up this bad boy yet?

Other urls found in this thread:

lifewire.com/bios-setup-utility-access-keys-for-popular-motherboards-2624462
sciencing.com/effects-small-sample-size-limitation-8545371.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

I own four for various purposes. Blurry pic related. All are 2TB except for the bottom left which is just a 1TB. Would highly recommend.

Will probably get an 8tb one in a couple months. Or should I get 2 4tb ones?

Do they even have a slim 8TB?

no

Will they this year?

Probably not, harddrives have sort of plateaued in regards to how much data they can fit per platter

I remember when 1tb were on sale a couple years ago for $20.
I ordered ten.
It turned out to be a pricing error.

Ooo

I got one for backups about 6 months ago
works good

Did you still get the from 20?

2TB used to be almost that much

I would have picked one up if I watched movies

Please don't actually.
If you truly must, buy an even number of them and build yourself a tiny little NAS RAID set up.

WD will fail constantly. If your files don't go missing, enjoy watching a film and the final 20 minutes of data being corrupted.

True. I have a 2TB that I can't get to boot all the way. It does that thing where you open it in file explorer and the bar at the top slowly loads but never finishes and I can never access it.

No, they cancelled the order.

WD has worked for me for years and years. Seagate is the one that fails.

Plug it into a Mac or Linoox and use disc recovery on it.
Windows is shitty for file recovery, and sometimes refuses to see a disc if it can't access it 100%, while Unix systems will see the drive on it's own then the 2TB partition as a child of it.
Hell, they should actually pick up the partition and just exclude the corrupted section or give you read-only access to it.

WD should never be trusted, they're cheap and nasty.
Seagate are good and cheap, but don't expect more than 2-3 years of running, even less if it's constantly active.
Samsung are probably the best, but they cost a shit ton in comparison. Buy a small one of those for super important things if you're worried about data loss, as those things are super secure.

RAID systems are your best bet, though. The likelihood of two drives failing on the same sector/cluster at the same time are miniscule, and they're cheap to pick up.
Either buy a prebuilt one for a few grand or buy a i3/i5 (equivalent AMD would be better, though I suck at remembering AMD's product names) and a few other pieces, then follow an online guide to making your own NAS.

RAID comes in a few configs, but I honestly don't know why you'd want anything apart from 1:1 with RAID 1 or 5 if you want performances.

WD has faults out the arse.
They fail constantly, are made from shoddy parts, have very bad customer service/repairs/replacements etc.
Only thing I'd buy from WD are SD cards, as those are very good, but their HDD and SSD performance is shit.
Also, if encryption is your thing, WD has had faults with encryption for decades.

Seagate have gotten worse over time, but they're still good for storing large files, such as films.

Again, Samsung are the best, so buy them if possible.

Im on mobile so I cant do it right now, but imagine I just posted my snarkiest reaction face. Youre like those faggots who, when someone mentions the snes classic, starts talking about soldering motherboards and raspberry pi.

He just posted a wd thats on sale, chances are he doesnt have 3 grand sitting around to blow on a portable drive.

literally no one needs more then 500GB unless they engage in piracy, which, as I may remind you all, is illegal.

🤔

what if I really really like public domain movies

Or you know people that us MMD to produce retarded videos and need to keep a shit ton of models, assets, and renders from six years of retardation saved in case they ever need to reuse them.

sweet video dude
👍

there is no such thing as "public domain", sweetie, everything has an owner.

like i own ur mums pussy lol 😂😂😂

>>>/fighters/5655
gb2 Disney, MM.

Why does the one talking sound like a man? And why do the other two have boys names?

I don't have Mac or Linux. I do have a spare old laptop lying around though. Do you think it would be possible to put Linux on it?

A lot of modern PC games can be upwards of 60gb a game. That adds up.

Get out of here, kid.

I have a 500g and its great.

There's like a 99% chance that Ubuntu or Linux Mint will justwerk.

will work?

Yeah. Go to the Linux Mint website, download the latest .iso file, and burn it to a CD or flash drive. Pop it into your old laptop, boot it up, and get into your BIOS. Change the boot order so that your CD/flash drive is number 1. Then restart the laptop and follow the instructions on the screen.

How do you get into BIOS again? Hold F# something when it boots?

lifewire.com/bios-setup-utility-access-keys-for-popular-motherboards-2624462
Depends on the board, but you can check it on the above link

>>>/reddit/

If you were competent in the English language, you'd be able to read my post to see that I wasn't saying "lmao just liek drop 5k on hardware" and was offering a solution for data loss in the future.
Nor was that user the one wishing to buy WD drives.

Also, a Raspberry Pi (which you shouldn't buy as they're hyper-leftists) is cheaper and superior to a SNES Classic, with maybe 2 hours of work needed to get it running.

Can I use them as a main hard drive?

You could boot an OS off an external, but I wouldn't unless you house the external so it can't move/fall out.
They're only called internal/externals because of their design; any drive can be used to boot, like booting TailsOS off a USB.

Yea, but who's playing 'em? hit:NOBODY

a 4TB would be enough to store all the basic shit you could ever store on your computer

>>>Holla Forums867734
1. Read through this thread.
2. There is no objective reliable measurement to say which company's drives are better than others.
3. Often two drives made by the same company can be more different than drives of the same capacity made by two different company's.
5. The only "reliable" measurements of drives (such as backblaze's reports) are extremely flawed.
6. And most important of all: YOUR PERSONAL (SS IN INHERENTLY SUBJECTIVE) EXPERIENCE WITH A COMPANYS DRIVES ARE FUCKING ASS-BACKWARD RETARDED ARGUMENTS. AT MOST YOU FAGGOTS HAVE PROBABLY HAD AROUD 10-15 DRIVES IN YOUR LIFETIMES. THEREFORE YOUR SAMPLE SIZE IS COMPLTLEY USELESS IN COMPARING DRIVES. SEE: sciencing.com/effects-small-sample-size-limitation-8545371.html

Okay, I got Linux Mint running live and I connect my old WD drive and it shows the main folders in there, but when I double click one of the folders it just freezes up.

Fair enough but Seagate has a shit reputation for a reason i think

Bump

It might just be well and truly fucked then. You're probably just gonna have to format the drive. There's nothing super important on it, right?