Unpopular RPGs

What are some RPGs that tried to change something and pissed off the gaming public and thus are now cheap on the second hand market?
Or just niche games that lacked wide appeal.

I only seek titles for the PS2, PS1, Dreamcast, Gamecube, and Xbox platforms.

Other urls found in this thread:

gelbooru.com/index.php?page=post&s=list&tags=lin_(breath_of_fire)
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Unlimited Saga

Any Compile Heart/Idea Factory game pre-Neps.

Grandia 3

Treasure of the rudras

Shadow Madness

The Shadow Hearts series on the whole is like that, but in particular Shadow Hearts: From the New World probably fits more of what you're looking for. Series fans are rather divided on it due to the change in tone (the devs have confirmed it to have been a side game and that they were planning a proper SHIII before Aruze shitcanned them and the series), but it's got the most refined combat in the series and still offer a good amount of content. It's also the cheapest entry at around $25 where I live (I got lucky and got my copy for about half that). I will say though that given the series has an actual chronology to it and From the New World uses the events of Covenant as a backdrop, it's a series best played in order (both in getting the full experience and avoiding mood whiplash you might get playing out of sequence).

Opoona.

It being on the Wii and the fact that it was too great for this earth killed it. Sequel never, but at least were getting musou stars.

Holy shit.
I thought it was just me.

opoona was awfully mediocre tbh

Now we're talking. criminally underplayed.

Another series not played much is EVO and Glory of heracles

To be fair, OP seems to be looking for stuff he can actually buy (likely in English), and I would assume a repro cart of Treasure of the Rudras would be like $50 or so, at least going off how much I see SNES repro carts going for locally.

I do find it bit funny that apparently back in the day, fan translation efforts for Rudras got stalled by importers claiming it to be terrible and not worth the effort or time (at least going off an anecdote I've read). Given the liking I've seen from people since then, the notion seems to come off as more of a an attempt to keep a game exclusive to those that actually knew moon (and I have seen bitchfits before over certain games being brought into English; a few years back, some anons on half/vg/ started spoiler campaigns for some JRPGs being brought over at the time, with the claim that "EOPs" didn't deserve them, and the intent being to ruin the games for anyone wanting to play them).

Maybe it's because it was an obscure Dreamcast game, but if you're okay with action RPGs EGG: Elemental Gimmick Gear is fairly fun
Dunno how feasible it is to buy at this point

And while Unlimited SaGa pissed off western fans (because no manual for what is essentially an electronic board game) the whole SaGa franchise is niche in the West because the majority of Western JRPG fans are filthy casuals

ALL THEY HAD TO DO WAS PICK THE MECHANICS AND FEATURES FROM BOF3 AND MAKE A NEW GAME BASED ON THEM
but noooooo, why use what works? lets just make random shit and ruin the series forever

Holy shit I thought I was the only one who played that game.

Don't think it was really ever hated, but Legend of Legaia had a pretty interesting battle system. It was like a weird fighting game turn based rpg hybrid.
It mostly faded into obscurity, though I do see it prop up in discussions and videos from time to time now a days.
Another cool thing it did was have different armor/weapon pieces appear on your character in battles.

Dragon Quarter is THE least casual RPG from Japan I have ever played. That optional 30 floor dungeon was fucking bonkers. Really recommend this game for people looking for a challenge.

Retards don't play JRPGs for a challenge.

I got stuck somewhere early on, and I've never bothered to get past it. Also the overworld mechanic seems a bit dull. But again, haven't played in years.

I've heard someone praise Legaia before, I just never remember it when it comes to thinking of old RPGs to play.

Pic related.

Final Fantasy 12, natch. Although i'd argue FF11 is where the descent started, since it was an MMO and not an intentionally offline game.

All they had to do was NOT call it Breath of Fire 5. I just didn't like it when i thought it was a spin-off, but i hated it when i learned it was supposed to be a main series sequel. And then it died forever until Capcom zombied it into mobile garbage.

I got the same impression when I first played it, but I also didn't understand a lot of the systems. I've got a copy coming in from Amazon and I'll see what I can figure out. I mostly dread the voice acting

Calm yourself Satan. I liked Dragon Quarters, everything really. Combat was tactical and nice. Traps were crucial once I realized how to maximize them. The party had a nice synergy, although Lin is super finnicky.

I don't blame them for trying something new, but I get the hate that some fans of the series prior to that have towards it. Doesn't hurt that it was my first BoF game.

Incidentally. I am looking for a piece of BoF art. It showed up last year in a thread but since there is no archive I can't find it again. It featured Lin riding a Cyclops enemy, but the perspective was isometric and the ground had a "Bastion-like" quality to it. I want to make it a background for my phone but I haven't been able to find it since. Can anyone help?

NO

A-user, you're scaring the children. Please calm down.

In EGG?
There's voice acting?

Really? Fuck, I don't remember anything about that game.

but I liked Record of Agarest War

I've never played this game but have fapped to this picture almost a hundred times.

gelbooru.com/index.php?page=post&s=list&tags=lin_(breath_of_fire)

You are a scholar and a saint.

Reviewers panned it only because it was too hard for them

There's nothing challenging about SaGa Frontier in the slightest.

Granstream Saga. You're welcome.

A tactical RPG set in World War 2 with the zombie Nazis and werewolves?
Perma death on characters?

I'm officially sold on this game.