2.19GB

How on earth did mister shitface bloat the game up so much? The original came on floppies.

Other urls found in this thread:

bitbucket.org/gopostal/postal-1-open-source
qfgmods.net/QFG5_Censored_Content
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

No optimization

Upscaling every single image in the game

They do that so that you don't feel jipped by paying $20 for a 200MB game. Bloating the game up to several GB give retards the false impression that they're getting something of value for their money.

Thanks doc

Dude I fucking hate most remasters today! Look at postal, what a shit fucking re-release.

You need a whole fucking top of the line graphics card, like before on the original postal you didn't need a fancy graphics card, the requirements are still insane, you need a fucking geforce THREE along with at least a 1.2ghz cpu and 256 of ram. But the worst part is that the filesize weighs a whole fucking gigabyte! You can't even fit the game on a single CD! You need like two of them! Complete shitshow developers from RWS

Mr. Shitface IDF pls go.

They redigitized the voice samples I heard, the originals were compressed to shit and sounded terrible but they were small, besides that who knows

There was a CD release as well which contained a few hundred megabytes of audio, something you of course never knew because we know you wouldn't skew your point by failing to count the fact that in the floppy release didn't contain all the voice files the cd release had.

So we have at most 700mb as a base and the audio on the discs while sounding strange was probably not compressed since that was pretty standard for the day, then you add in the redone art, it looks like they filtered it then retouched it by hand, that's a significant difference in size between the original textures and the redone textures although the textures themselves are so simple they should compress really well, you are still looking at a large jump.

Mr. Shitface detected

Uncompressed audio?
That's usually the culprit for games with unreasonable install sizes.

he did the same exact thing for Grim Fandango, and that game didn't even have remastered cutscenes,

The game is shit anyway.

It's really good. Having puzzles that go across three time periods is still the best idea in a point and click adventure game.

Deductive reasoning is completely useless in this game.

Only if you're a mong

At first I thought the girl getting wedgied had a tentacle up her hoo-haw.

The original came on a CD idiot, i still have it. The remaster looks like shit anyways.

But that was a sound argument, idiot.

Also i just checked and the size of the CD version of the original game is of 268 MB.

That was the version for poor people. I can't imagine playing something like Sam & Max without the voice acting.

Yeah, naw -fuck off.

Nah, i'll stay.

I don't have the CD but if it's only 268 MB then I'd guess the textures aren't compressed at all in the re release, or the original CD release contained compressed audio and midi tracks and they just decompressed it. I got nothing else.

k
checkem

There's nothing to check though.

The point was that the original came on floppy too.

The original CD release did have MIDI tracks and the voice acting was probably compressed to a certain extent. They are just inflating the filesize for the release and what they did to the art looks horrible .

Nobody is moving goals, OP was acting as if the CD ver. never existed on the first place and the game was just like 20MB of file size for its original release.

But there was nothing to check

Found something

His original statement was poorly worded, OP insinuated that the remaster somehow went from a few 1.44mb floppy's and became 2.19GB, but the remaster is clearly based off of the CD version which is 268 MB.

The whole thing looks like a mess, just like The Grim Fandango, I'm surprised it took so long from announcement to release as well when the effort here is clearly below minimal I guess that's what you get when you hire San Franciscan's to make your games.

Check your own dubs baka

?

I don't work at Double Fin Compression software inc.

Fuck you.

FUCK
why would you remind me of this

Solution

Is this game worth playing?

I've recently gotten into the genre with Sam & Max Hit the Road and Toonstruck, but mr. Shitface being attached to it worries me. Still, it was before he became horribly pozzed and worked with a "diverse" team.

Also, what are some other point and click adventure games worth playing?

Lots and lots of uncompressed audio, why bother when storage is unlimited?

More importantly, it was when he had less direct authority over a project.
Just about all the LucasArts p'n'c from this era are great. I'd put DotT as pretty good but not fantastic. Grim Fandango, the first three Monkey Island games (I've always felt the third was horribly underrated), and King's Quest VI are IMHO the best of the genre, but there's definitely other good ones.

Textures man, to move up to the next bracket in resolution you will have to roughly quadruple the amount of storage needed per texture, I say roughly since texture compression should help push it down a bit, but when needing precision and a vast amount of different colors compression can only do so much.

4k .dds 64 MB, then with a pbr material setup that's 4 textures, then characters may use multiple textures for their body, 1 lot for body 1 lot for the face, 1 for the hair. 1 lot for shirt and pants

There you go 1GB worth of textures and you haven't even done the boots.

No, play Maniac Mansion or Grim Fandango instead.

Uncompressed high res PNGs vs low res GIFs (or some other format that compresses sprites well)
low compression audio vs midi tracks and heavily compressed VA, also a commentary track
2.19GB is far from unreasonable all things considered regardless of what you think of the end results.

Quest for Glory is always good. They had the entire collection on Steam for 5.99 or just about any abandonware site for free. Whether or not you want to pay to not have to deal with configuring DOSBOX and fucking with compatibility issues is up to you. I guess you could just pirate the collection too rather than each game individually. They're RPG/Adventure hybrids which let you take your same character from the first game all the way to the final game. Lori and Cory are even more pozzed than Mr. Shitface, and it kind of shows in the game a bit - but they've also got a lot of shit in there that just wouldn't fly today. Such as being able to wake up Katrina by grabbing her tits, or using X-Ray glasses to see Zayishah change clothes.

If you decide to check them out, get the AGD remake of QFGII first, as it'll give you a good idea of what they're all about, and it's legit free. Plus, they never redid QFGII in the newer SCI engines - so the original is command prompt only. Also, QFG5 is shit. Nobody would blame you if you just stopped playing after QFG4.

there are no polygon models to map textures to so just call them image files you fucking NeoGAF tier spastics

A lot of good games can be found in top 10 P&C adventure games lists, but a very good game series I enjoyed and still enjoy is Quest for Glory 1-4.
>you grind train your stats by doing certain actions that increases them(throwing rocks, increases your throwing skill, fighting monsters increases your fighting skill, casting spells increases your proficiency with that spell, and your mana etc.)

The game also has a fifth entry, but it's a piece of shit mechanically, since it was a time when games were transitioning from 2d to 3d and they didn't know what to do, however the story is decent and there is some closure to a lot of the subplots from the previous games. If you still want something like this, after finishing the series, check out Heroine's Quest, a free indie game that feels like a spiritual successor to Quest for Glory, and it's set in norse-like setting with norse mythology.
I should also warn you that the game was made by Sierra, which unlike the Lucasarts games, have a lot of game-ending screens, so you gotta save often and in different slots
The first game has an official remake which updates the graphics, and changes the mechanics from text based(you entered commands and topics of conversation from the keyboard) to the UI used in QfG 3 and 4(a classic Sierra UI). The second game, has no official remake, but there is a completed fan remake that updates the graphics and let's you choose between a text parser, the UI from QfG1,3,4 or both at the same time. If you can't stand old graphics or text-parses games, then by all means play the remakes.

You beat me to it.

You dastardly devil!

Ne he wasn't, all he said was that the original came on floppy discsā€¦

You made me curios to see how big were other remastered 2d era P&C games. Sadly the only ones I know of, are Monkey Island 1 and 2, and according to gog the first game is 1.3GB whereas the second game is 1.6GB and keep in mind that they redid all of the textures, and whether or not they are better, is pointless since you can change them on the fly, or at least that's how they advertised it, I never got to play the remake, since I already played the original.

I realized that 1.3 and 1.6 is for the installer most likely, Steam has the first game at 2.5GB and the second one at 1.8GB, for it's System Requirements.

You're free to remake it yourself :^)
bitbucket.org/gopostal/postal-1-open-source

They're shit m8.

This remake runs on my 12 year old toaster. Fuck you nigger.

He was obviously being sarcastic you dumb fucks

According to my Steam installs the first and second games are 2.4GB and 1.8GB respectively.

And yes you could swap between the remaster and original art and sound on the fly.

I know but he is still a nigger.

Original looks a lot better
Much more colorful

Do you ever get off melee island? I try to like this game but what is a pirate game without sailing around on a ship and exploring new islands?

At least you can switch to the older ones on the fly, since confirmed it. Honestly I think that's a very good feature, esspecialy since the original graphics were so low rez and compressed that it didn't occupy more than 1 or 2 mb of space, so there is literally no excuse. Another game, that sorta does this is the Ys I and II Chronicles version, in which you can change the sound to the original PC-88 version, the Complete one(a PC remake) and the Chronicles one(a PSP and and PC re-remake). You couldn't change the graphics, but you could change the CGI images that appeared in some conversations with important NPCs, between the Complete ones and the Chronicle ones.

Man I forgot these existed when I recommended the first three Monkey Islands.
I don't understand how they managed to make them look so bad, considering Curse is gorgeous.

Uncompressed audio and converting all the sprites to vector art

Underage

I don't know. I'd feel a lot more comfortable getting it if the money went to the White Slavers instead of Mr. Shitface, though.

lossless audio dumb dumb

Original CD size is less than 300Mb: monster.sou (which contains all digitalized sounds) is 270Mb, tentacle.001 (which contains scripts, color-indexed art and pseudo-midi files) is 12Mb.

Take the following with a grain of salt
How to recreate a 300Mb game into a 2.2Gb game: let's assume all sprites are still pixel-based (which seems very unlikely since everything looks vectorized). If each sprite is 64 times the surface of the original (8 times the width, 8 times the height; a scene that would be 320x144 is now 2560x1152). It means that 64 pixels are now stuffed where there used to be only one. Sprites would need a better alpha channel too, so let's add another 8-bit per pixel layer only for transparency); now we get 128 times the original size of the file. While sprites can still be 8 bits per pixel (because they are made of max 16 different colors), backgrounds are now featuring nice gradiants which would require 24 bits per pixel.

So, assuming it is pixel-based, artworks are 64 times the original surface, nothing is compressed AND the game still uses pseudo midi files, the number makes sense: between (300 + (12 * 64 * 2)) (1.836Gb) and (300 + (12 * 64 * 3)) (2.604Gb). And that's a really really generous estimation (since I also multiplied the size of each script file and every music track by 128 or 192).

Now, to be honest, if everything is vector-based I have no idea how one could achieve to take that much space, except though digitalized audio tracks with a very low compression ratio.

They also added voice acting. If anything you can just get the Talkie version of the originals.

GTA 3's android version is 1.2GB and rockstar didn't even bother compressing most of their assets, you can 7-zip the thing and have it comfortably sit in a CD at around 620MB

That's not what "we" means in that context. It means "we that are discussing this". No need to be stupid on purpose.

But yes, don't fucking buy Mr. Shitface products.

Actually it's not just the colors.
The original is a lot more detailed, a lot of the backgrounds are "leaner" and "cleaner" in the new version, the new version distorts some stuff due to some dumb artistic trends like making all the characters skinny and the cannon weird shaped. The original leaves more room to imagination with its pixely, unrealistic look. The new one leaves no place to imagination that the areas are dull and boring, and colors certainly help give it that tone.

No you are the nigger and illiterate to boot.

Uncompressed faggotry.

Literally just this. If you upscale an image from 1024x1024 to 2048x2048 that's four times the data, the original looked like this.
Also a possible culprit may be changing the image filetype from tiny .gif or .bmp to .png, .tif .raw or some other stupid shit.

When the image has 256 or less colors, gif should be smaller than PNG. Not only does it generally compress better than PNG, the indexed coloring saves a lot of space

I saw that cartoon but painting the fence doesn't fix the immediate problem. It is just the game not allowing you do something in the wrong order like this.

You need to understand two things about the "good old days". First, games weren't designed to be modifiable and you would rarely have a logical mapping of files like Quake or Duke3D did in 1996. Second, since the needs of your game were different from the needs of other games, you would rather go with a proprietary format (designed specifically for your needs) rather than use "common" stuff like GIF or BMP (created for non-specific purpose).

For their graphics, LucasArts simply used arrays of bytes to store color indices. DOS only had a 256 colors display, and games like DOTT would divide this whole palette in two sections. The first section would only affect the first 32 color attributes of the graphic display and be used for sprites and GUI elements that had to look the same regardless of the scene. The second section would affect the remaining 224 attributes and would change according to the background art. All that to say that if they were using "normal" file formats, they would have wasted tons of bytes by copying palette information over and over again (usually 768 bytes of data down the drain for every graphic file you create).

Also remember that computers were much slower back then and decompressing info on the fly is CPU intensiveā€¦ despite that, if only they went for some simple RLE compression (TGA files have a very efficient way to do that), I'm sure they could have reduced their sprite size by 40%.

You guys wouldn't happen to have the GOG releases would you? You've got me interested.

Right now they are being uploaded on volafile.io . You should find them with the name "setup_quest_for_gloryX_Y.exe"
The second game never had an official remake, but there is a legit free fan remake of the game, that makes it similar in terms of graphics and interface to the remake of 1. I only put the gog versions, the fan remake you can find it yourself on google, again it's legit free.

Awesome, thanks a lot. Booting up my computer and downloading them now!

This. Maniac Mansion > Day of the Tentacle

so you guys were talking about the fifth one being bad, but is it suffrable for the story and atmosphere? Just how bad is the gameplay?

Maniac Mansion suffers from not having a pefect version
NES
Fan remake

Day of the Tentacle is super overrated due to the perception of one perfect play style. After DotT, all of Lucas Art future P&C Adventures were a variation of this no fail state single solution model.

DotT was shit. I don't know why people were surprised that Broken Age was shit.

Sam & Max is so much better.

Are you talking about that one 2005 game with yetis(I think they were yetis) or Telltale games?

They are call the same shit polished over different games with different characters and stories. It is same shit Telltale is doing with their games. One size fits all with different flavors. Grim Fandango wasn't shit because Manny doesn't give the same response to all of the non-solutions.

In MM, you could open an envelope and realize that you can't use it to mail a letter. In DotT, the asshole would make an annoying excuse like "No, that would be illegal." when it turns out the character doesn't care about privacy and it is just the game's way of stopping you from ripping open the envelope. Also, the hamster in the microwave thing was only funny because how of pointless cruel it was. They basically turn a game that is best known for its funny deaths into a game with no fail states like every other game after.

You gotta find out for yourself. As I said the story wasn't all that bad(though I couldn't finish the game, because I lost interest) since it was all pre-planned from the very first game, and you do get closure on some of the side-stories from the previous games. However the interface, gameplay, art stile and acting are all bad. Which is a shame since the acting in IV was top-notch. Though a lot of these problems come from the era of transition from 2d games to 3d games, and they didn't know how to properly do a 3d game.

I want to ____ Laverne

Gotcha, also, I've been looking around at those top 10 lists like you said but it seems they are all tainted with current year garbage now. Very few focus on the retro adventure games and most recommend telltale games or games like Gone Home/Life is Strange which makes me question the retro games they do recommend.

Shame Holla Forums hasn't put together a list yet.

That's quite sad to hear, well here is a video I once used as inspiration into what I would like to play. Don't take it as an objective list, but take it more as an idea on what games do exist, and what might interest you. Not all games are for everyone, and I am sure there will be anons who will call some of the games from the list as shit, while others will praise the games and call them underrated gems or whatever. The video, however doesn't have any Lucasarts games, since that was the intention top 20 games that weren't made by Lucasarts.

Now you might be asking what are some of the games made by them? From my head, I'd say Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis, Monkey Island 1&2, Full Throtle, Day of Tentacle, Sam & Max and Loom. They made many other games, but again these are all from the top of my head.

Is that an actual game?

It's real, just not a game, it's still a project, but holy shit is it such a parade of cocksuckery of the worst kind, fellating the fuck out of every high profile dev out there and making them fight "the horrible horrible trolls and shitlords of the industry". I can understand the game's intentions, as it feels it's mostly a homage to those devs, but the rest of it feels like some sort of mean-spirited insult against every critic and argument ever, the kind of tirade any hack developer has ever made only materialized in the form of a videogame.

You can clearly see it there, the typical perception everyone has of a troll, complete with the anti-neoFAG bracelet and the evil downvote of hell that puts every poor weak victim indie dev in a bad spot, just so you know where these devs are coming from.

I'm glad that the shitlord male cis scum meme is dying.
2016 was the year when most millenials became 18 and started actually living real life, a cold damsel that despises everyone equally.

He's not a 10/10 dev, but why compare him to Mr. Shitface and Blezinga?
At least they're being loyal to the dev's choice safe space.

I don't think it's dying, it's more a case of loosing relevance and strength, you certainly see it being thrown around still, but nobody takes it as seriously as before, if anything it became an epin ironic meem phrase. Not that I'm complaining though, it's good to see the tumblr manual of insults being considered a joke with each passing day.

Satan with the bantz!

The problem with V is that they shifted focus from a hybrid of puzzles and (optional) combat, to having a heavy focus on combat with a few puzzles thrown in on the side, and the combat system was basically just a click-spam. A lot of scenarios were cut to make the development deadline, there were a lot of last-minute rewrites, as well as the multiplayer mode which was supposed to be in it from the start - then cut to be offered as a free DLC - but everyone on the team got layed off pretty much as soon as the game was finished. So it never got added. It was pretty much the last game out the door before Yosemite was axed, and it shows. The art style is pretty shit as well, which kills the atmosphere. They started it using voxels, and shifted to 3D midway through development. The whole thing is a shitshow, and only worth playing through if you absolutely must have an ending to the story.

It'd be nice if someone like AGD came along and made a QFGV "demake" which made substantial changes to the storyline and overall design to bring the game back more in line with the first 4.

Also, since it's a big deal to a lot of people, apparently QFG5 was heavily censored. Most of the examples are lost since there isn't much left in the game files and the Coles weren't able to take their work with them - but there's an example on link below of some of the changes to Nawar's character. Also, a exert from Corey about some weird QFG III censoring where the GM went through the script with an auto-replace to remove all instances of the term "native" and replace it with the term "indigenous" because they felt it wouldn't be PC to use the term Native in a game set in psudeo-Africa.

qfgmods.net/QFG5_Censored_Content

Uncompressed audio files is my guess.

Reading all that makes the game feel as if it were a porn game.

Sounds like it's a good idea to just read the wiki for closure once finishing the fourth game.