The great debate

Which are the best mechs? Humanoid, or more machine like ones?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Walking_Excavator
amiami.com/top/detail/detail?gcode=FIGURE-023398
amiami.com/top/detail/detail?gcode=FIGURE-023400
amiami.com/top/detail/detail?gcode=FIGURE-023399
my.mixtape.moe/vknslh.mkv
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

It's personal preference user. For example if you are a complete faggot who likes dick in their pooper you will prefer humanoid mechs. Everyone else will prefer mechs that look like mechs as opposed to looking like anime.

Fixed it for you fam

Both.
If possible, one inside the other.

Somewhere in between.
In your pics, the first one just looks like a Halo alien in armor, and the second is just flat-out tank with legs.

The best answer.
Classic armored core is the golden standard for ideal mech design.

the ones that look like animals

Depends on what I'm trying to blow up.

what a pleb

Super robots like Mazinger Z and Getter Robo aside, most mecha exist in worlds where the tech is advanced enough to produce them. People keep trying to reason mecha with what we have currently in terms of tech. Not to mention these are the same people who would probably say manned flight would be impossible. Never underestimate autism

This.
First pic is lighter, for agility and maneuverability.
Second is heavy, but more durable and higher firepower/more dakka.

Honestly what with that Korean walker, Boston dynamics constant breakthroughs and the Lockheed's miniaturization of reactors, we might be seeing something in-between a Scopedog and a Labor in the near future.

I haven't really seen any mechs that are as striking and functional looking aa steel battalions. Mech warrior ones remind me of walking helicopters and dont quite exhumw the qualities a walking tank would impose. Humanoid mecha, while fun stray into the goofy territory.

Also consider that things lime Mobile suits started life as electric or solar powered mobile workers designed to help move large cargo and help mine. It was Zeon who saw the potential of a manned machine with the battle of loum becoming the turning point

Battletech mechs are pretty cool guys

You're the only faggot here.

Loads of fags itt

What's some good eastern mecha for symmetry autists?

depends, Okawara doies good blocky mechanical designs, he did the designs for the Gundam and lot of early UC MS designs

Nagano designs are what I like best because they're organic looking

Anything smaller then a tree in height > everything bigger then a tree. After some Arma modding with Wanzers it eventually became apparent that no matter whether they're humanoid or just machinelike spiders there is a certain point where the size is the fundamental flaw.

Wanzers were also pretty good at ambushing tanks.

This. I highly doubt we're gonna see anything over 5m fully extended.

Not unless someone invents some kind of energy shield which negates all incoming damage under which umbrella giant mountain sized mechs could wage war between continents, chiseling away at each other over the horizon.

0/10 wouldn't pilot.

No, again anything smaller then a tree beats the stuff that towers over trees. You can spot them for miles and it's hard as hell to target mansized objects that can sneak up on you in plain sight with some man sized rocks let alone do the one thing you're good at.

some people just like big and heavy things that move, like dinosaurs or elephants
i can sympathise, even if it wouldnt be practical as an IRL combat vehicle

Powered Armor is meant to make the user stronger

Also the Powered armor from Starship Troopers was nice. ifyou haven't seen the anime it's closer ot the book than the live action movie.

A fart on mars is closer to the source material than the movie. But we are not debating power armor here, only mechs.

The movie said fuck it, and Made Militarism Cool Again.

What would this, or any of the rest of the titans, fall under?

mini-mecha

Big lumbering walking tanks are more realistic but humanoid is way cooler. It's fucking anime so throw realism to the wind and get crazy.

Slightly oversized Scopedog.

Makes sense. the MS-06 Zaku II measures in at about 57 feet. There's no written data as to how tall each titan is, but taking a ~6' tall man standing next to his titan here, he's about a third of the height, give or take, so perhaps they measure in at 18 - 25 feet depending on model.. Too big to be power armor, too small to be a full mech I suppose.

VOTOMS-styled.

No, it is a mech, its just not humongous mecha.

powered armor is mecha faggot

and it's the same concept

disgusting shit, the creators say "mechs are for nerds"

Not mechs

All depends on the type of mission in which I gotta do. I rather go for the full custom layout like in those Armored Core games besides being stuck which the one arch-type with the only difference being withing the weight classes going from Light/Medium/Heavy.

If a Scopedog is a mech, a titan definitely is. If anything it's a reasonably sized mech. Too bad the devs and their PR are shits as seen in

No wonder they are so bland, even if 2 added shoulder mounts that worked awkwardly.

Special snowflake syndrome.

The one you're looking at there is actually one from the first game, in which there was a very limited, and yes, very boring looking roster to choose from. They gave them a little more personality in the second game. Ronin is still a shitter titan

Well, they did improve the mechs in titanfall 2 for sure.

They added shitloads of missiles and lasers, but still origin.

They're fucking mechs. The devs are just pretentious idiots. They're free to not use the word mech in their game and its marketing, but that doesn't make them not mechs.

Don't give discount AC-fag attention.

I like chicken legs.

Birdleg mechs are the cutest.

Retract that comment.
You have 20 seconds to comply.

In terms of physics, we can't really go bigger than Armored Core 5 mechs anyway.
But when it comes to games/animu, it's cool to see big-ass mechs.

BOTTOMS

You have no idea how happy I am to see someone understand the difference between a proper digitigrade setup and reverse-jointed ones.

Not that I have anything against reverse-jointed mind you, but it's infuriating to almost nobody understands the difference.

Though that middle one is stretching it a bit.

edgy xxddddd

People have done stuff like this for years, user. Have a sense of humour.

Don't think some of us haven't forgotten that you want to marry a mech

Cucky xdddd

memey xxddddd

You best stop this shit right now you fags.

both are cool depending on the setting and background

I'd say the ideal sizes for mechs are tree size or smaller OR city size or larger. Anything in between will is in a bit of a sour spot of bring too big to hide but too small to tank damage.

There's quite a bit of assumption here though about mechs and how they're being utilized. Construction mechs or police mechs or sports mechs or the like which wouldn't be expected to experience a total war environment aren't nearly as constricted in design as war mechs.

I want to fuck Rahu I.

why not like all of them?

Because some are trash.

Construction mechs wouldn't even be big enough to be considered mechs, you would have very little utility you couldn't already do with a souped up vehicle. Police mechs would be the same requirements as military for size not only because of height but also width because of the buildings and the fact you'll rarely if ever deploy the fucking thing. Sport, well most I'd see it is arena matches and paintball which has similar requirements due to usually being outdoors if anything it'd need to be smaller because the metagame of a sport will result in the mech not even being able to take a hit more then it needs to and is otherwise geared to be extremely specialized for the sport it's built for.

So yeah, not even city sized.

Even tanks arnt 3m tall. I can see mechs that will carry supplies like the smart dog robot or maybe ones that carry a machine gun but other than that not very big, if anything they will be light armor support.

But they already are in use, big enough and indirectly controlled, just like mechs. A en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Walking_Excavator isn't powered armor and it's primary form of locomotion is using its limbs, not its wheels. Welcome to the current year, it's not scifi anymore.

Did you fucking read my post? Read it again. Carefully. Note the be big enough to be considered mechs part after "wouldn't"

Faggot.

well that's just like, you're opinion, man

Bigger than a Tachikoma which qualifies if piloted. Would also make a decent Killdozer if massive property damage is what you're after. But please, continue the autistic screeching if you feel like it, doesn't change the fact that utility mechs aren't scifi but current reality. It's just the Killdozer part that hasn't been done yet.

Did you fucking read my post? Read it again. Carefully. Note the big enough…just like mechs part after "already are in use"

Faggot.

user, I didn't say mechs wouldn't be used. Do point out to me exactly where I said that.

Tachikomas a cute
A CUTE

Look, all I'm saying is 1. utility mechs are already in use and 2. they're bigger than Tachikomas. If your personal limit for minimum mechsize for some reason excludes Tachikomas, Protomechs and the Starship Troopers: Roughnecks Chronicles Marauders, that's not my problem.

Games with mechs?

There's even a few that are minemecha/powerarmourI think. Go for a battletech style aesthetic, and you can actually stomp smaller things and crouch with them to avoid being seen.
Needs no introduction
Sequel when

I kinda want to get one of these.

amiami.com/top/detail/detail?gcode=FIGURE-023398

amiami.com/top/detail/detail?gcode=FIGURE-023400

amiami.com/top/detail/detail?gcode=FIGURE-023399

Already confirmed in production.

I was arguing purely for ideal size to begin with. As far as I'm concerned your own personal technical definition for what constitutes a mech got slighted when I implied excavators that walk and drag themselves isn't a mech but a vehicle. By your own definition Star Wars walkers are mechs and I never considered them to ever be mecha myself. I also consider tachikomas to be small vehicle sized robots.

The original blue one is definitely the best. If you're getting any go for that one

I hope mechs become a possibility once we figure out how to mass produce carbon nanotubes.

Already confirmed for being in development.

Did they actually confirm that to be Armored Core and not a new IP?

How about you find mecha that actually look good instead of those feminized mecha with thin legs and heels?

Heels on mechs are dumb as fuck when you think about it. They would just sink into the ground due to extreme surface tension.

You'd want wide snowshoes on your mechs.

How even? The legs on all three are fat, and the heels are becuase no robot could have flat feet without either a really awkward walking cycle or stilts.
Your pic doesn't even look like a mech, it looks like someone glued a bunch of guns to a block of metal.

New IP is the cyber-ninja shit they've mentioned a couple of times. Armored Core 6 is happening too, but the question which one of the two is the PSVR multiplatform thing they were hiring for.

Wanzers hit a good spot.

golf cart

Mechs are impractical. Adorable intelligent spider tanks are the way of the future.

ftfy

You want your mecha to look cool, that's all that counts. Anything more than that and you're probably asking for too much. Cool just so happens to occupy many different fields, thankfully. Titans outside of Warhounds have such a high center of balance and so much weight that trying to lift a leg would lead to it simply leaning over in that direction, since they can't shift their waist. They compare nicely in terms of how a gait would need to work for something like that.

sure thing nigger

This. Front Mission is the only game that does mechs right.

I think this is the most peculiar robot design I have ever seen. It looks so much like a pregnant woman.

It's kinda turning me on.

Looks like rip off of appleseed mechs.

That is because it is the same artist.

Get this shit art out of here.

But the last two are pretty well drawn also preggo robots is a very hard thing to find

>preggo robots is a very hard thing to find
I know…

Shit like this reminds of pics to describe how car people reproduced and gestate.

What do?

I like western-style super-huge mechs, in that they're pretty much just sky-scraper-sized walking weapons-platforms rather than just big versions of smaller mechs.
Like imagine the empire state building just slowly walking towards you while firing the equivalent munitions of an entire army.

considering it wouldn't be able to dodge it's not that intimidating

I wish there was an official a true 1/48 Imperator titan, just to see every detail of the "so fucking big you use yourself by standing on the table to represent it to scale" size.would look like. No way in hell I'd pay GW money for one for my own but I'd like to see it none the less.

Would also like to see what they'd charge you for that one.

What now, motherfucker?

I always thought there was something weird looking with giant bipedal mechs whose arms just in weapon stumps (or even no arms) instead of arms with hands (to hold a weapon). Like if they fell over the weapon stumps mech would have a harder time getting back up (or possibly bend the barrels of the weapon).

But for some reason when you make it much smaller and give it digit grade/bird legs like in they look alright with out any "arms" (like the AT-ST). The only reason I can think of for this . . . well bird's don't have proper arms/hands (wings) and yet they can walk around just fine without them.

Their walker program got shelved in 2015. Apparently their walker engines are just too loud for combat with current engine technology.

Nigger, they've been claiming that they're on a verge of a "breakthrough" since the fucking 50s

This is a travesty.

just get the ps3 HD version. it runs 60 fps 1080p (after patch)
also if you dont have cfw there is sale now and its going for 5 bucks (until 21th)

We're that far into PS3 emulation?

Whatever category this falls under.

Jundams, my original robot tanks.

I bought that for ten bucks from some store nearby where I live. I bought a 60 GB PS3 and the guy updated it which means I'm fucked for CFW which pisses me off. I was curious if there was a workaround like if I installed a new HDD could that work?

But it can, just needs a really good computer, not sure it runs better than the PS3 version but still.
my.mixtape.moe/vknslh.mkv

triggered
Anyway i just wanted to tell you that you're opinion is shit, marauder is cool as fuck and the movie is fun, but the book is in a completely different category.

i don't think that's entirely accurate powered armour is only slightly larger than the size of the occupant much medieval amour for example the Jin-roh armour or the 40k Power armour. Mecha however can be anywhere from slightly larger than human to xbawkshueg for example Gundam or Pacific Rim.

there are of course things that blur the lines between them such as the Marauder power armour from starship troopers (which is arguably the source of the concept altogether so pay your respects to heinlein niggers)

way too big to be power armour, that's mecha

sage for fucked up initial post

yes it can, i'm playing it right now.
Just gotta set psx to software mode man

Humanoid ones look incredibly stupid and cartoony, They're tanks with legs and should look the part.

Both work in hardware mode though, and ZOE2 is too damn demanding for SW mode to be an option for regular people.

What were they thinking

Crabs make the best ones.

Too many weak points

I can't install visual runtime 2015 on my pirate win 7 copy so no pscx2 1.4.0 for me.

Wish I could find a fucking hygog to order.

C E L L

Literally never ever, not even Liru Spirit can hope to make it happen.

I play Puyo Puyo Tetris in RPCS3 regularly.

what say the possibility of this? Seems to fit in the proper size category on the smaller end?

it's getting CLANG in here…

Animal robots are best.
Human ones are stupid and are only for faggot anime fantasies.

Centaur mechs when?

RAVEN IS THE CUTEST BATTLETECH, PROVE ME WRONG FAGGOTS.

stay triggered

More machine like ones.

What's the point in having a giant fighting robot if you're just going to have it be a regular guy in armor?
That's flat out gay.

Gross

Place your bets anons, battle mechs or robot armies first?

It's going to need stronger legs, since right now it looks like it's supported by that roof beam, keeping it from having any sort of mobility or use as anything but a glorified forklift.
Definitely a step in that direction though.

Robot armies for sure, especially with drone technology
It's more feasible and useful than mechs

Depends on how autonomous you think a machine has to be before it's considered a robot. Remotely directed machines like drones are definitely going to see more use, and robots like that are much more economical and versatile than mechs.

Did they not know shocks in the 80s?

What did he mean by this.

The legs on things like that are plenty strong, they're just unstable as fuck because it turns out it's hard to write automated balance routines for a topheavy robot that walks like a human. Balance for us is easy because it's all automated, and we don't think about it.

Mechs.

Fact is, robots are finicky, drones are finicky, and you never know when your signal will drop. Not to mention security and safety concerns.

Even the machines are not immune to their slapstick powers.

And you think mechs won't be?

Funny way of saying "legitimately licensed, then removed because Harmony Gold are bastards"

Oh, and those designs are all obsolete shit in canon anyway when Clan tech and newer original designs emerged. The most iconic one being the Mad Cat.

Honda managed it.

If you know what's good for you you'll call it a Timber Wolf.

I call it "Love at first fucking sight"

It's too bad that PGI went full retard with clan designs. Most of their IS mechs are pretty decent looking, some even look amazing. But all the clan mechs look like absolute dogshit.

Wheels are a lot easier than upright legs.
The real problem is that they keep taking baby steps with legged robots, going up like one single-direction joint at a time, instead of trying for animal-like flexibility with loads of joints and rotation points, and programming it later.

I'd hazard a guess and say that the most heavy thing in it is the engine and its pretty low, even for a vehicle. Compared to a human like robot its really low.

The problem with robots and drones lies in the AI or I guess Expert System if you want to keep them stupid. All it takes is one variable you forgot then they'll inevitably do something stupid eventually, for actual AI you'd want to keep them animalistic and not be based off a human and keep them simple minded. You also can't do anything like make them feel a compulsive need to kill that sounds paradoxical but it'd be like leaving a helpless baby around a wolf it's predatorial instincts will kick in and it'll attack just like a compulsory response or the AI might end up a psychopath by design or get stressed if it doesn't get to murder things. Instead you'd want the AI to not mind or care about killing people that aren't your dudes.

I'm talking in regards to controlling the robots.
Between latency, issues with hacked signals, and loss of communication, I see more issues of practicality

Nope, the designs were licensed from a company that thought they sub-license them to FASA, until HG and Takara stepped in years later.

In all fairness, FASA didn't know better and weren't going out of their way to steal designs, but at the end of the day Battletech got it's start on the foundation of Japanese mecha designs, that's irrefutable.

Is it weird that I find it kinda spooky lookin'?

on my end of things, I always preferred the Biomech types myself, I think that the future's future is a fusion between organic and artificial, using metal parts for armor, weaponry, and electronic brain shit, while using dense synthetic flesh (which doesn't have to be actual flesh, but more of a more stretchy, sturdy synthetic compound packed real densely with nodes that stretch out like a nervous system, using minimal electrical input to jerk shit around to save power instead of a constant flow) to solve the flexibility problem and to lessen damage, because I think you could, in theory adapt a dense enough biomatter into bio-kevlar by simply building a damage response system to change the flesh's composition around a certain area, using an object/velocity detection system using a electronic (wave?) field of some sort to detect when to begin the process.

I think the biggest hurdle is overcoming the sheer weight, but if we can make giant mechs, by that time we can at least make organic biomechs about the size of two to three people as ground troops, since we'd have gained enough knowledge about weight distribution to produce some sort of results on the biomech front.

The biggest issue I see outside of the scientific ones is the PR behind it, having an organic flesh engine motherfucker in the ranks would need some serious marketing to actually get it rolling, otherwise this shit would only stay in Area 51 in the basement or whereever the fuck we keep our experimental prototypes.

Yeah, bionic arms and shit are for peacetime, not fighting.
Seriously though, we're all probably going to end up being cyborgs in the future, it'll even be so normal to be a cyborg that they'll have to come up with a word for people who aren't partially mechanical.

All are okay.

This is objectively the best type of mech.

Something like Patlabor, so I can punch with justice.

Amen.

Most Mechs don't look like they can stand up (get it?) against modern armor. Mechs have the flaw of 1) having shit for armor, 2) being tall as fuck and skylining themselves, and 3) being anime.

Even Star Wars' mechs are flawed. They are just too tall (except you, AT-TE, you stay gorgeous) and way too slow.

tanks are for manlets.

Not really, having anything as simple as a pacemaker or hearing aid makes you a cyborg. There is an actual technical definition that can and will be legally used, pretty dull and boring but that's to be expected in real life. Augmented would be where semantics are important because gene editing is more likely and safer then intrusive cybernetics because your body really likes being itself.

FUCKING
CUTE!

Any machine capable of automating any function is technically autonomous enough to be considered a robot.

There's a reason they call blenders and other shit "kitchen robots".

Also gets you a nice 120mm APFSDS right up your ass.

>UNARMORED COCKPIT

>UNARMORED COCKPIT

If you insist.

Do you have any understanding of a "combat role" concept, user?

it really isnt user

It's not. Humvees are designed to transport and support infantry, not to engage armored targets.

And guntanks are designed to out range the enemy and not engage in front line combat.

Of course it's fucking applicabl, that idiot was pointing out design flaws which are present in every single fucking part of the military regardless of function. Fuck off with your idiocy.

Alternatively

Yeah I know its huge, target for artillery, etc.

Biomecha now that I think about it seem pretty practical for today's technology.

As far as biochemical mechs and drones are concerned the issue is avoiding Umbrella tier stupidity. If you want biomechanical creatures they have to be capable of both civil and war tasks or just have lots of utility in their function.

There is a company of guys who make biotech for fun, I wish I remembered their names. They made a circuit board directly wired to some fleshy bit and it worked until the thing died due to lack of nutrients.

Bumping for mecha

The best mechs are either ridiculously and stupidly over the top, or very grounded and realism and more like powered exoskeletons. Anything in between those two extremely is boring in comparison.

Unfortunately, the latter is very rare in vidya, Halo of all things is the only series I know of that makes extensive use of it, and even then moreso in the novels then the games.

This has been my main point in these kinds of threads for the past 10 years. Like of course half the shit discussed isn't feasible in our world, our tech levels are considered archaic and ancient in all the worlds people use as examples for their fav mechs.

You don't pilot Lady, you give her hugs and love unless your name is Cobra.

It has nothing to do with technical feasibility. Give it a big enough budget and a decade and we could field a rugged mech meant for combat.

The point is that there is no reason for mechs to exist. They do nothing that other vehicles don't already do, and do so better and more cheaply.

People like to drum up their mobility over rough terrain, but we have infantry and helicopters for that.

If you're so advanced you can waste the money on building mechs you're not gonna do it anyway and build something more practical.

What about International Giant Robot Fighting Leagues though?
That sounds like it would be a worthy investment to be honest. Even if its just so we can look back say we actually managed to do it.

That would actually work, though it's more likely they've be RC robots and not mecha proper.

That being said, the one setting where mecha do make some kind of sense is Heavy Object. They're not even mecha proper, just gigantic, heavily armored weapon platforms that are so big and so tough the only thing that can take them down is something of equal size and power.

Sadly, the cool concept is wasted on shit writing.

They do showcase that the upper chassis and the legs being separate, and yeah, the legs need an overhaul, but if you look closely, the ceiling guard is slack and not actually holding it up, more like a safety measure should it fail and they don't lose a shitlaod of money. I still agree though.

Biped Mechs and robots do suffer from the balance issue as the bulkier legs that are safer reduce the mobility, but increasing the mobility with lighter legs compromises the balance.

Most folks don't realize just how perfected the upright human stance is and how much of it runs on automatic pilot until they have to start factoring in those balancing calculations themselves.

When a robot sits in a chair and leans back in it and has that heart attack when it slightly overbalances, THEN we'll be onto something.

Humanoid. Western mechs.

Eastern ones can eat a bag of dicks with their ninja sprinting, jumping, somersaulting, skinny-ass fagbots.

SCIENCE fiction.
Not GAYLORD fiction.

Poor thing, can't even spell.