Piracy Paranoia

Does anyone else have security concerns when it comes to piracy? I've been pirating exclusively for years now but there's always a lingering doubt in the back of my mind that I'm compromised. How do you deal with this uncertainty?

Other urls found in this thread:

wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/PCI_passthrough_via_OVMF
google.com/patents/US3951134
google.com/patents/US6368227
youtube.com/watch?v=sG9UMMq2dz4
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Meanwhile at OP's house

Shit!

No, i'm not american.

I'm not talking about the authorities.

I haven't bought a game since 2015

I run my pirated games sandboxed

You mean in a virtual machine? How do they run?

Nah I spend money on games.

Compromised in what way? As in your system is botnetted? Play vidya on one PC and shitpost on the other.

Keep pirating anyway! And if they come, ask them what took you so long

As long as you have autistic wizard skills and compatible hardware they run perfectly.
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/PCI_passthrough_via_OVMF

Nothing compromises you as much as using windows to begin with. Steam, torrents, chrome, normalfag social media, nothing comes close.
And yes that applies to something like pirated win7 or XP.

as in the concerned troll kinda way

Parts of your own government pirate software. As long as you aren't distributing it, and noone puts you on the MPAA / (other media institutions here) hit list, you'll be fine even if you're compromised.

I was actually using that shit fairly regularly. I haven't gotten v& yet but it's still worrying.

If you're a "first-worlder" you're probably fucked sooner on later, if not who gives a shit

Just use Sandboxie for playing your games perfectly isolated and perfectly functional. It's far easier and more transparent than dealing with VMs and only takes like 10 minutes to set up

what if sandboxie is spyware

I think these days there's a higher chance the legit release from the publishers has a rootkit in it than the one from pirates.

run it in sandboxie just to be safe, duh.

Feels good to live on an excommunist shithole.

Some people are fucked over uploading shit and for installing pirated soft as a job you can be fucked over.

No it doesn't.

Just don't download repacks unless you want to compromise your PC.

Everyone pirates vidya in Poland, if you'd make as little money as people here do you would pirate everything you can too and not give a single fuck. Gov doesn't give a shit about it either, some dumbasses get caught only when they seed way too much.

Installing repacks by slavs is like playing Russian Roulette with two bullets. I remember finding a RAT in one of the games I've pirated, only to be relieved that the repackers expected you to activate it yourself. Funny stuff.

Meh, most of the shit that hits my peer filter is just China. I wouldn't worry about it too much, your ISP has to send you silly bad boy notices, and even then the copyright holder has to tell them to send it to begin with.

As far as I can tell, the government won't waste time or money on your unless you're a major uploader.

Your bigger risk is malware packaged with the pirated software.

Czech republic is similar, although there's more moralfaggotry. The police only goes for bussinesses and big time uploaders, else they'd have to arrest half the country. I recall someone even calling the publisher of some book about when is it finally going to be on mega so she can download it

What's the best software for malware/virus detection?

Fucked if I know. I don't pirate shit besides tiny ass ROMs because why the fuck would you waste bandwidth on modern games?

The reason I don't pirate is because I don't trust the uploaders not to have hidden something in there. And I'm not talking about modern games.

jiggle physics

THAT'S RIGHT YOU ARE GONNA GET FUCKO'D KIDDO! SQUAD TAKE HIS COMPUTERS!

OP here. Not talking about the authorities. Talking about malware.

You should be more worried about malware than police.

OP WATCH OUT

See

You're being overly paranoid like a tech-illiterate normalfag, OP.
I'm reaching the point where I'm suspecting viruses are a hoax, even though I'm well aware that's wrong. i'm mostly eternally asshurt over Spyware Detector, one of the biggest pieces of shit ever made, detecting VisualBoyAdvance as a false positive max security risk

I think you're a paranoid fucktard but explain what is it that you're uncertain about?

Your ISP knows all of the shit that you've been pirating since day one. They just don't really care unless it's Hollywood movies.

I buy my games from Steam while Reddit is open in the background on r/refugees welcome. Failing that I usually just be careful and don't download everything I see, check multiple links and try to find a download that has comments on it so I can see if anyone has mentioned it fucking their shit up.

The best thing to do in terms of pirating Windows is simply to get a mirror of the Digital River ISOs, making sure the hashes are the same.

Then use a copy of Windows Loader that isn't filled with malware, Holla Forums probably has one.

Nothing you pirate compromises you as much as having windows itself on your computer. You're just a faggot who doesn't really care or doesn't know what he's talking about but still makes a fuss about it

I've been pirating shit for like 15 years straight and no one has said shit. Literally no one cares.

Just use loonix with a VM if you're that worried about it.

shit

Some general rules:
-If you do banking or other financial shit on your gaming pc at least it's safer then your smartphone, but always browse the web in https, theres even addons for it.
-Get an adblocker.
-Chances are you are a neet, and because of that nobody will care your dick pics get leaked to the internet.
-you don't need to get a vitus scanner (bloatware) but if you do worry about a virus at least run windows defender. Chances are it might defect your copy of windows is pirated and softbrick your system later on, but you can just install it again and keep your old files.

Got a little story about malware removal that this thread reminded me of.
Worked in virus removal for Currys/PCWorld for around a month or two, we'd take in computers, clean them of malware and send them back off to their owners.

We had some official private malware removal software that I assume some guy at the top of the company thought was a good idea to waste money on, but the guy I was working under who had to actually use the software for the twenty years he'd worked there said it was worthless and there's nothing better than Malwarebytes & ADWCleaner, of course we're not supposed to be doing that, legally Currys/PCWorld could get in trouble for it, but it saves time and does a better job than the official software we were supposed to use.
I did try out the official software once and it really was terrible, I got the impression it's not been updated since perhaps the 00s.

So don't bother taking your computer into a shop to get it cleaned of malware, just do it yourself, odds are they'll just be using malwarebytes & ADWCleaner which you could easily do on your own.

I guess if you're looking for advice, OP if you're worried about malware, the best thing you can use is common sense, don't download from stuff that has lots of seeds but barely any downloads, also a lack of comments is a good warning sign, always stay on the side of caution where you can, always use ublock origin & https everywhere, if you suspect you're infected use the aforementioned programs and that should take care of most issues.
I don't know if I missed anything but I probably did, so there's always the option of lurking Holla Forums and browsing the stickied post for more information which should hopefully give you a decent idea of how to take care of your computer

VPN
Malware Bytes
CCleaner
Trusted sites/threads

Nothing to worry about.

Only tech illiterates think that everything you pirate is full of malware. You honestly have to go out of your way to get infected as long as you have a brain. And don't even get me started on all the false positives that antivirus programs keep throwing around.

Then again there's been the occasional time where a family member's phone has started doing some real dodgy shit so I suppose some people are just beyond redemption as well. I don't even want to know what the fuck they were doing to manage that.

I basically stopped watching anything coming from (((Hollywood))) and talmudvision and buy my vidya these days since most of what I like it from AA studios or nips just now getting into the PC market. Really all I pirate anymore is music and anime. I pretty much already got all the music I ever liked and seldom watch anime.

Piracy is for teenagers and neets tbh.

Stuck with a trojan now myself. Only noticed it was there today and I get errors on login now. Creation date of its oldest files is 3 hours ago and it even keeps a copy of filezilla portable to attempt to upload to itself. Can't seem to get rid of and don't remember installing anything at that particular time that would've caused it.

What sucks is the Share thread tells you to go to IPP games, which is crawling with malware

Ask yourself whether the things you pirate are really worth playing.

Your "malware" is nothing more than false positives due to the nature of some cracks, you paranoid fuckfart.

prove it

you mean an ipv4 address? For instance here is one: 2620:0:ccc::2

windowsfags, everyone

Musicfags are in an even sadder state than us, because while games haven't been good since at least 2012 on pc and whenever the ps4/360 came out on consoles no good musician came out after cobain's death

What was it like being a teenaged girl?

Use a firewall that works on a whitelist. That way any program that tries to connect to the internet will need to be allowed first so you can see if a shady exe is trying to get internet access and block it.

Or you could always wrap your PC in tinfoil to protect from NSA radiowaves. Make sure to use a tin foil wrapped cable though since wifi signals need much more tinfoil to contain

google.com/patents/US3951134

Same. Their seedpoint system was really good and it's a shame more trackers don't use something similar.

I've moved onto UGC now. They'll accept you if you say you're a BCG refugee and provide proof

I still do it even after getting a job.
The best things in life are FREE.

You just haven't been looking in the right places fam.

People patent everything.

google.com/patents/US6368227

youtube.com/watch?v=sG9UMMq2dz4

The only thing higher than this on the gay scale is getting gangbanged by 3 niggers while you wear a ball gag.
It's shit, son.

Come on, man, you aren't educated in the gay scale if you don't know that.

You mean… sort of like having a dedicated shitting street?

Designated shitposting PC

What if while all of this happens, i fuck a girl in the pussy. Would it still be gay?

Yeah m8, the MI5 is parked right outside your house.

In nearly 2 decades of being a shameless internet pirate, I have never had to deal with anything so bullshit before. I've got minor trojans and tracking cookies and shit like that.. but this was on another level and it was from a site and group I have never had problems with.

I think of it like drinking in college, no one gives a shit as long as you have the decency to try and hide it when cops come by. Just don't be the easiest target.
99% of the time it is a loose loose for companies to go civil litigation on end user pirates. If you have no money then there is nothing to take. Even if they were to garnish your wage, it wouldn't amount to shit. As far as criminal charges the FBI has more interesting things to do then build a case against a random pleb. Again just don't be the easiest target. Make the effort of building a case greater than the cost of the game.

Other piece of advice is if you get a devices that comes with pre-installed software other than the OS + driver, then reformat and start from scratch. Bloatware is more of a danger to your system then anything else. Just look at the Superfish Lenovo incident.

1. Get the good, free, OPEN SOURCE safety software. Understand what each one does and run them weekly.
2. Don't be an idiot when it comes to downloading.

What release was it?

No we don't, don't ask

That happened to me once. Hell, it even infected my router. I used a combination of rkill64, Hitman Pro, RogueKiller and Malwarebytes just to get it to where it was before. Thinking back, I recall it was a RG Mechanics repack that did it.

Jesus Christ I don't think the internet has a smug enough reaction face for this

Just because you're a faggot, doesn't mean everyone else is user

REminds me of a time someone was able to take control of my computer. I notice that my mouse was moving on it's own and it was messing around in file explorer. I just unplugged the ethernet cable, unplugged and plugged my router back in to change my IP, and that solved my problem.

You need to stop embarrassing yourself.
You're not 15 anymore I presume.
You can't seriously think anyone who's serious about music takes Cobain seriously.
Don't be the center of mockery, you can do better than this

Maize, that one game about sentient corn. Looked like a funny first-person version of a point and click adventure.

Ended up watching a let's play of it instead, after getting virus'd. It's pretty shit and the humor wears thin in the first 30 minutes.

Puberty is one hell of a drug.

Oh, he's still trying.
I listen to commercial music, I don't have a problem with that. It's not a bad thing to do.
YOU were the one who said this commercial dumb ass band marked the end of good music. That was the dumbest shit I heard in months. I don't think it'll be topped in a while.

Alright user, i wasn't questioning your intellect or your maturity, careful or you might just drop that fedora of yours.

Sorry you didn't enjoy this conversation but I sure did. It was an 11/10 for me. Dumb fucking shits are the funniest. Saying Nirvana marked the end of good music is the music equivalent of glorying Gone Home. I love you man. Never change

I can't even find it on torrentz2.eu, it must have got shoah'd. Got to read the comments on these repacks if they're new.

You got memed on, they're garbage tier and have always been.

Noted for the future.

Speaking of piracy, has anybody managed to find a way to unlock the limited edition stuff in Phantom Pain yet? Because fuck giving Konami money.

The only thing you get busted for in the U.S. is downloading movies / tv shows too soon after they are released, also anything from viacom.

I have never gotten a DMCA complaint for downloading vidya.

Neat, is there an IRC or something I should check out? Their app asks for profile links.

Just read the comments, ratings and other shit the uploader has submitted in the past, and if he has a positive tracker record of the no one complaining about malware, you should be fine.

people still pirate shit from viacom AKA the most cancerous company of all time? Sometimes I look at the game industry and sigh in relief that there is as of yet a company in the vidya industry shittier than Viacom. And considering what we do have this should say a lot

I want to say, “Why bother? The game was never finished and the world is so fucking dead and empty that even with Infinite Heaven installed, there’s no replay value whatsoever so what good could you get out of it,” but I’m currently playing a little every day so that I can get all S++ staff (with some qtp2ts at the top) and pass the time while I unlock every online-timed development item.

Disclaimer: I’m not doing this because I love the game that much (though it was fairly fun initially), nor am I doing it because I play online (I never have and don’t see myself ever doing so); I’m doing it because it keeps my mind off of wanting to commit suicide every single fucking day sweet mother of fuck someone help me.

This game depresses me every time I play it