Talk about which gameplay mechanics immediately make you stop playing a game

Talk about which gameplay mechanics immediately make you stop playing a game.

Other urls found in this thread:

imgur.com/QyJHCF0
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Up is jump

Dragon Age Origins

A beat-em-up game that is just button mashing with every move having a stunlock element.

Resource gathering. I fucking hate it when you go to a blacksmith in a game and they tell you to go get the materials and then pay them to make or upgrade an item, no fuck you asshole, I am a customer not a supplier.

What the hell is that thing inside the can?

Yeah so? I played it when it came out.

centipede

And its babies!

quick time events

implying i'd pick up a game i know has it

Literally every Battlefield after fucking 2.

Expand on your opinion about this

VN style dialog

OH MAN SHIT this isnt one of those creamed coffee with those cute designs in it.

actually, ive never had a game blindside me with a mechanic that pissed me off enough to cause me to stop playing it. and these days i have the internet, and will usually do my homework on a game before acquiring it.
i have been bored enough to drop games though.

number-shooting. games like borderlands, division, or destiny where instead of your guns having different effects on the enemies, it just makes different colored numbers come out in lieu of blood, knockback, or anything to actually make the gunplay fun

on top of that, there's no point in finding guns you like the feel of because the game is a DPS race since the enemies will of course all be bullet sponges

Flashlight batteries. If you had a flashlight that spent batteries as quickly as you did in game that thing would shine as brightly as the sun. But the important part is that they're limited resources where you need to take extra time to go searching for them but if you actually run out you're forced to stumble around in pitch blackness or restart the whole game to get through it faster.

I think dark/night time games can be really fantastic and spooky and atmospheric but there's a really fine line you're walking there. If it's dark enough you get real cool shadowplay and seeing things out of the corner of your eye to be afraid of things that aren't there. But otherwise you're just a jackass forcing people to ruin the brightness of their TV/monitor.

Slotting gems into items to make them stronger. It's dull as fuck. Fuck you, Blizzard.

I usually plow through shitty mechanics in the hope that the rest of the game is good. Only thing I can't stand is when the controls aren't to my liking. I play Sm4sh over melee because fuck tap to jump.
Sometimes I'll make my own control scheme for a game if I think I can improve it. I spent around 10 hours making the perfect TF2 config, then stopped playing.

Is there a Benny Hill version?

Enemies that are dumb as rocks or just inactive. Especially in beat-em-ups or FPS, when they just stand there soaking up attacks and occasionally throw a punch. When your whole game is nothing but hitting/shooting things, you need to make those things do something actually fucking interesting.

I wouldn't drop a game because of it but it's one of the reasons why Owlboy is terrible.

Yeah, fuck equipment slots. They should be good enough to use in the first place. I'm playing through Etrian Odyssey 3 and I was lucky enough to get a boss part to drop. Stats aren't bad but the exciting part is that is has 4 slots. Slots that you can only get by finding 4 more rare boss parts when the boss takes 14 days to respawn. Or Ragnarok's card system was pretty cool but 4 slot weapons were absurdly strong compared to weapons with 4x as much attack power because those couldn't slot more than one.

imgur.com/QyJHCF0
Stop going to reddit, fag. But to answer your question.
If a game has QTEs then it's a near-guarantee the rest of the game will be shit, it's a hallmark of bad design and a massive red flag that the devs have no idea what they're doing. A great example of this is Farcry 3, the QTEs come extremely early and are a sign of what the rest of the game will be like.

At some point in time, someone somewhere has stuck their dick in this.

Yes
A male centipede

Do they normally do this?
I've never seen an insect coddle its young like that before.

Whaat?

Unskippable cutscenes. There's no reason for them to exist and they make replaying a game a fucking chore.
Batman vision in games with stealth is also becoming a recent one. It just completely cheapens the aspect of spatial awareness. The only game I can think of that made it more bearable was MGSV where you had to individually mark enemies.

Sometimes.
It's not uncommon for female arthropods to care for their young in such a way. They usually carry them on their back, though. Centipedes actually hold them with their legs.

That's kinda cute in a strange way.
Spiders are the last creature I'd expect to act motherly.

Unsatisfying weapons in an FPS. If you can't make the gun I'm holding feel powerful or at least feel like a gun then fuck off. Look at Painkiller's stake launcher or at Quake 2's super shotgun (BOOOOM CLACK CLACK) and make your guns like it.

Same
Also, shitty animations in general. If I notice bad lipsynching then I won't stop noticing it and will continuously ruing my immersion. This is why I hate playing Oblivion and Skyrim, everything feels sluggish, plastic and fake, like the vengeful spirit of the uncanny valley posessed the land.
Poor art direction. I prefer some bland game with everything modeled after real life rather than a bland game scifi or fantasy designs.
Finally, High Fantasy in pretty much everything.

That's pretty cute, on an abstract way.

Tap to jump has been around from the start, but you couldn't turn it off until Brawl.

Spiders are top tier, they helped my roach problem

People just lose their shit because of the scary spider movies.

1 and 3 are the cutest babbies.

DLC that breaks the game. I bought Dead Space 1 and 2 during the steam sale. Really enjoyed 1, expected more of the same in 2. The first fucking store you get to in 2 has some of the best armor and equipment in the game for zero fucking credits. I immediately got bored because I was slaying everything in my path with little to no difficulty and quit the game. Why do you give me all this overpowered shit on a first playthrough? It defeats the purpose of survival horror let me build up my arsenal by finding the stuff I need.

I love insects that aren't pests. They are cute.

That's pretty cute.

I had the same problem with Hyperdimension Neptunai Mk2. But the stats are so stupidly inflated and the bosses so tanky that I couldn't tell if it was actually DLC or just a special CPU thing. Even with it having obscene damage and giving me +hundreds of stats I was barely outdamaging the boss's automatic healing.

How can you post an image like that and expect anyone to keep the thread on topic?

We live in 2016, bugs shouldn't be amazing anymore.

Why even fucking include combos?
The worst is when a three hit combo has the third hit deal twice as much damage as the other two.
You're stuck smacking this enemy for piddly damage one hit at a time because if it decides at any point that it just doesn't like your combos, it'll outright kill you.
The absolute worst is when said enemy can combo you but you can't combo it.

Yeah, I god OdinSphere for christmas too. It's just awful that landing your 3rd hit is instant death almost anywhere because you're rooted in place and the enemies are so much faster and stronger than you.
Also the alchemy system is retarded. I have hearing problems so I have lots of trouble collecting ingrediants which means that I can't do anything about those maps where you take damage just by existing. Only way for me to do it is by jumping up and down on every single inch of the map after clearing out the enemies.

Thats why I disable stuff like dlc on complete editions, or instantly beef up my difficulty level if I am having too easy a time. unless I am trying to rush through like on my 4th play through in smtIV also, dead space 2 was a bit easier than 1, but at least its not 3 bad.

I wouldn't mind if it wasn't so obvious that the AI are moving too fast normally for their vehicles to catch up.

How does it feel to literally be subhuman?

user, it's CY+2 now

Im playing on the hardest difficulty available to me because apparently theres a new game + mode and a difficulty one more step up that you have to unlock after beating the game once. I get new game+ not unlocking until you beat the game but christ give me the hardest difficulty before that

they all have some +/-5% or 10% numbers that I had no idea would be relevant at all. I just saw a fuck ton of weapons with different configurations and opted for the ones with some extra stats, how am I supposed to know the developer would be that shit at damage calculating? The armor is even fucking dumber because why the hell would you not go for more inventory slots? All the best armors have the most inventory slots but you dont take nearly as much damage with the base armor. The first game did it so right because it threw the level 2 power suit at you almost immediately and was very well placed throughout the rest of the game in terms of suit upgrades. Its like Visceral actually knew what the fuck they were doing then EA got their jewish hands on them even more and casualized the shit out of 2.

Oh fuck off. They're an accompaniment to the game's audio so they belong in the game's Audio folder. Putting them anywhere else is fucking retarded.

any game that you have an ability to buy cosmetics or crates
i have a bad addiction to that shit, if it gives you the crates for free or whatever for doing x y z ill spend all goddamn day grinding them
same with mmorpgs, if i want something i will grind nonstop if it makes my stupid fuckign character look prettier.
i need therapy

Meaningless side quests.
Maybe not drop the game, but I eventually attempt to finish the game without doing ANY side quest and find out:
Sometimes I replay a game, this shit doesn't happens and I find myself going through the list of sidequests trying to find something with a reward that can help me. Those are pretty cool.
I supose you could include Ubisoft's collecta-thon here.