Shin Megami Tensei

Is there any SMT / Persona game besides Nocturne that isn't a fucking retarded visual novel?

Also I played 1&2, I like the games(some of the best ost), but prefer 3rd person rpg instead of a first person dungeon crawler.

Other urls found in this thread:

drive.google.com/…/0B-b_q1Omg_qZcFRlYXR0dkFBTjQ/view
suwafoughtenfield.dreamwidth.org/921.html
agtp.romhack.net/projects.php
lmgtfy.com/?q=smt raidou
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Digital Devil Saga/Digital Devil Saga 2

I'll have to try those, it's a shame they aren't on psp..

Mostly because I like to game&poop

1234, DDS1&2, Strange Journey, Raidou 1&2 are the only good ones. All the rest are shit.

123 are the only ones from the series all the rest are spinoffs. All the rest are shit.

Raidou? What are those?

Newfag of the year

I would have recommended the best SMT, but sadly it's dead.

Thanks! Now answer my question faggot

Pretty much any of the games prior to Persona 3, jesus dude.

Kyuuyaku Megami Tensei I+II is a remake of original famicom games on Super Famicom. Pretty gud for an old JRPG. Also Shin Megami Tensei on Super Famicom is good. I haven't played any of the other game. Persona 3 was ok, Person 4 was trash. Played a little bit of Persona 1 and that was sorta fun.

There's a chinese private server that works in english that dropped recently

This isn't totally relevant but SMT1 cribs so much from the akira manga it's unreal

Try the Devil Survivor games on DS or the updated versions on 3DS. SRPGs are better than regular JRPGs.

Devil Survivor are P4 tier.

You know you could have taken one step back, and pardon me, instead of being a literal faggot and wasting this post, you could have been helpful, but no you wanted an excuse to use "le hurdeur hurhur spoonfed babby"

Dubs speak truth

Is a faggot

I heard about it, but I'm always skeptical about Chinese bootlegs.
Well, I suppose it's probably better than nothing.

That's a low blow.

The first one is good, the second less so.

You missed a 2 and misspelled is.

I'll only help you if i feel like it, obviously we're way past beyond that point now

How? if i may ask, besides the anime artstyle, there's no much space for P4's mood and "comedy" in the DS games, the only one closest to be P4-tier is DS2 and even then it's much more serious.

Only bad things I've ran into are the lag and that it's stuck in fullscreen though that might be a windows 10 issue. I think you get a bit more exp and a fuck load more expertise points, I'm level 16 atm and I almost hit the cap because it went too fast and put points in shit I didn't want really high.

Here's a link if anyone care
drive.google.com/…/0B-b_q1Omg_qZcFRlYXR0dkFBTjQ/view

And the website to register, just input a username and password in the corrner. Note that the username needs to be all numbers, password can be whatever
imagine.acg7.com

The second one did take some things from Persona. The first did not.

I think I'll wait for the other guy to finish his translation/mod/server. SMT Imagine was shit as is.

bump for true SMT

So how would Holla Forums feel if Atlus re-made SMT and SMTII for consoles (probably Nintendo Switch and/or PS4) to celebrate the 25th anniversary that had updated HD model demons but made the dungeon crawling and map exploration similar to SMTIV Final?

I get the feeling they would twist it to have something to do with Persona, whether it's social linking or whatever the fuck it's called

Final and 4 were fucking horrible, and I have 0 faith in atlus not to "modernize" it by ruining it by making it similar to 4/F

Emulate them on your PC or something, those games run fucking fine.

Here's a bump for True SMT thread.
Persona is shit. I just want another Nocturne or DDS/DDS2

Atlus isn't even its own company anymore and the shareholders of their owners only see persona as profitable. Falcom wants so bad to make Persona, seeing as every fucking game from them in this new engine era has persona elements, maybe they'll outsource it to them and the battle system would be good but aside from that it'll be SHIT. Be like 4, the Personas, and Claire or whatever that game was where you dream about two girls who were the same person in some EVA onus.

I am bumping too, keep TRUE SMT alive. Not this bullshit we've had for almost a decade now.

If it's a straight remake sure. But odds are it will be an updated rerelease with changes to the story and mechanics.

Honestly though, Atlus doesn't have the same balls as it did in the past. They couldn't make a game where you go and kill God like they used too. If Persona 2 IS on the PSP is any indication, they will censor the imagery and detract if not outright ruin the original games tone.

When the fuck is the translation coming out? I have never cared for a SMT game before but this one.

I played a few smt games myself i think something that a bunch of you may not like

I like my smt games but unfortunately I love smt4 and find nocturne kinda boring to play

Does smt 1-2 play like strange journey? Because if they do then im willing to give them a chance, even though they visually aged like milk.

There are so many fucking versions, if you are going to play it i would suggest the PSX one for smooth scrolling but i don't know if its translated.

Also regarding the dated graphics, the PSX versions of 1&2 look a lot better than the originals.

Cool
I'd think it'd be shit since the dungeons in final are straight trash

Wow user you must have played it already.

Shin Megami Tensei games sure love their Jewish Mysticism.

I'd play em all if it wasn't just another grindy JRPG series. The Japs can't stop shitting out 100 JRPGs each year can they?

The demon world is the jewish tree of life. :^)

Last update was two years ago. It went into alpha and I haven't heard anything from Aeon Genesis since. Some people say that it's expected to be out in two years so I would keep my ears to the ground in 2017

suwafoughtenfield.dreamwidth.org/921.html

Assuming sHIN MEGAMI tENSEI is made by actual (((Gnostics))), the fight against YHWH makes a lot more sense.

DS2 had !notSocialLinks and the entire cast screams moe waifu faggotry. You've got them all
And the guys were
And the 3 major faction leaders (also guys)
I could be forgetting about someone or overreacting for others. I haven't touched that game for a long time so take this with a grain of salt. Also the whole Septentriones thing was retarded. Having non demons as main antagonists while demons were still fucking around for reasons is a lot like persona.

GideonZhi is an attention hungry faggot and he probably lost the files in an accident. He used to have the patch "almost done, correcting bugs" two years ago and even twitted about distributing the alpha in PAX that year.
Then he went dead silent. Also if he DOES the translation, it's probably going to be more of a (((localization))). I check his feed every now and then to see if there is any hopes but all I see are feminist retweets.
The thing that infuriates me about the guy is how many project he takes at once. Check out his site agtp.romhack.net/projects.php and look at that list. You think any of those is any closer to be released? Imagine if you were someone able to do a translation patch. Would you be able to commit towards one of those projects with the looming menace of Gideon suddenly saying he's working on it?
This is why people announce their projects, to avoid others wasting hours of work. In his case he does it to have a big fucking list.
Polite sage for rant.

Use google you fucking nigger. Here: lmgtfy.com/?q=smt raidou

I'm new to the smt series and started playing the games available to me at the moment like the all the ps2 games on psn and i have both smt4 and final on backlog till i finish the ps2 games. What makes 4 and final shit compared to the older ones. Should I not even bother with the games?

I cannot speak for Final but 4 was just a disappointment in every sense of the word.
I thought it was basically just going to be a handheld version of Nocturne(gameplay wise) with voice acting and a interesting story.

The game starts out interesting enough with the setting and the difficulty is still quite good up to Minotaur but after the setting reveal that happens in like 5-7 hours in the game it just completely falls apart, both story wise and gameplay wise. Though the games difficulty gets ruined with the ability to save anywhere so losing in a boss fight doesn't really matter even when the game over screen comes on and asks you for money to make it easier. You never really get a sense of impending doom or tension like in the other games where dying meant losing a decent deal of progress.

The world map is fucking awful to navigate and you will get sidequests that tell you to go to this place and give you no indication on how to get there with everything looking exactly the same. The game has the teleporting terminal system from Nocturne but they aren't there for every location in the game so have fun going back to bumfuck wherever you went that one time. There is a sidequest in which you can get the equivalent of a airship which sounds like it would make the world map system better but you can only land in extremely open areas(which is like 4 locations on the map).

Your teammate AI is fucking retarded, they will actively fuck you over in battle but luckily there aren't many times where you are partnered with a guest character. The battle system gets broken with the whole "Smirk" system and enemies can turn the battle around if they land like a random crit. Once you get stat boosting spells and non-elemental magic, it's just a race to spam them until you have won which makes a good portion of the boss fights unmemorable. There is a clear divide in demon types, it's either completely a magic user or a physical attacker. That last one was just a personal gripe but demon roles seem too clear cut and not really changeable until later in the game.

The DLC is shit with the whole grinding for experience and money. They handle it in a way where instead of just increasing the values, they make you fight enemies which are annoying to fight and often run away(?) drop items that you can use/sell to get money/experience. But it is not optimized and just feels like a chore. Not quite sure how you fuck up grinding in RPGs but they did it. You have story things locked behind it as well but I never bothered with it.

Some of the new demon designs/re-imaginings look really out of place and not very SMT like at all. It didn't bother me too much but some just seem like they should really belong in a different series entirely.

There are no dungeons. They aren't Final Fantasy 13 levels of bad design but compared to Nocturne and the previous games it feels like a slap in the face in terms of design. They just feel like enclosed areas with annoying encounters.

The money system is completely stupid as well with you needing to pick up "relics"(?) which are found in dungeons and you sell for cash. Now, I don't have an issue with needing to sell spoils from battle to get money as there are other games that get it right. The problem is that the relic spots spawn on some random ass timer that you will never figure out so you can't really get money all that easily. There are enemies that just drop money but they are so few and far in between you won't even notice it. Meaning you won't buy equipment all that often and when you do it is not all that helpful.

The amount of voice acting , presentation and all the bonus lines of dialogue is actually quite astounding but besides that it just falls really flat.

Please, no. Just leave it alone.

I don't disagree at all. The guy has way too much going on and he doesn't put out as much as he could or should for someone that entrenched in the translation romhack community.

Honestly it's a good thing someone sniped Kyuuyaku from him.

That being said unless some other person shows up and takes if… from him he's the only option we have.

The barbarous names at the beginning of SMTI's attract mode is what drew me into the game. It's mysterious, has that occult vibe, and the harsh pulsing of the soundtrack along with all the images really sells the mood. The only Attract mode that rivals that one was Persona 2.

No one will swipe if… from him because the faggot said it was practically done 2 years ago. IIRC he needed playtesters because there's many routes and the game isn't short but that may as well be a bullshit excuse. With KMT he had barely started and then Aerie showed up and told him 'fuck you, here's a full patch' figuratively speaking.

Well that sucks, i thought that the guy was pretty okay but turns out he is an SJW

Thanks for the explanation. Currently I'm playing Nocturne and I'm enjoying it so if this the last time the smt games are good then that's pretty sad. I heard that strange journey was also good and that it should've been the real smt 4.

If you're referring to mainline, there's only been one more in the past 10 years, and 1/4 isn't a bad failure rate in this industry. If you're including spinoffs, DDS, Raidou and Strange Journey are all post-Nocturne

Yeah, before we knew too much about it it was being called SMT4. But I believe Atlus reneged because the game didn't take place in Japan.

It feels more like SMT4 than the actual SMT4.

Last time I played nocturne I had more trouble with beezlebub than any other bosses even Lucifer.

That fuckers dekunda + dekaja + focus + attack AI is actually decent and he won't be retarded if have a reflect up. I had to lame his ass out with MP drain skills over a million turns. Because I didn't have a caster with good fire magic and was too lazy to fuse one.

Persona, Devil Survivor, Raidou all take place in Glorious Nippon. There should be a better explanation.

Exactly. And Strange Journey didn't take place in Japan so it couldn't be a mainline title and was condemned to be just a spin off even though black demonicas do appear in smt4.

Is there something wrong with me guys? I never enjoyed a jrpg this much in ages.

All those games are spinoffs though. They have their own mechanics and themes. SJ is in a weird spot because Nocturne broke the combo on what defined a mainline game in terms of perspective, combat, and exploration.

But then SJ is announced and it looks like a partial return to form, taking the perspective and themes from the first two games, and mixing in the press turn battle system from Nocturne. Then you have the story that takes place in a pocket dimension. It should have been 4 but traditionally the mainline games have to take place in Tokyo in some form or another so instead they make it it's own thing.

Not saying I agree with the decision, but those are the breaks.

I haven't played 4 but there could also be something else that defines if the title gets to be a mainline title or not.
MT's protagonist was a reincarnation of Izanagi. I don't know about MT2's protagonist.
SMT1's protagonist is a reincarnation of Adam
SMT2's protagonist is a manufactured Messiah who becomes the real deal.
SMT3's protagonist is The Demifiend.
What I'm getting at is that SJ's protagonist is 'just' a military man. The power he exhibits all comes from the Demonica he wears. Taking that into account maybe SJ's not a mainline game also because the protagonist is no one special.

He is not a "nobody". SJ protagonist is a proud American soldier, son.

On the localization. He's originally japanese.

they really aren't
Only Megami Tensei II is any good and even then SMT1 surpasses doing what it did.

I know you are full of shit because. DDMT2, was fun but wasn't as good as the original game. And I would agree SMT1 is a improvement on DDMT1. however, here is the rub, it's like me saying FF1 is fun for an old JRPG. That does not mean FFIV is all of a sudden inferior. But I guess your the kind of fagot who doesn't like Dragon Warrior, Sweet Home or Final Fantasy.

In the end, though, his nationality is pretty unimportant, since the military force he's part of during the operation isn't controlled by any particular nation.

It'd be like saying, "He's an American Green Beret in the U.N. Peacekeeping Force." It doesn't mean shit that you're a Green Beret if you're in under the orders of the U.N.

So I never understood the fucking change. It's not like Atlus hasn't released other games where the main character is unabashedly Japanese, so why change the nationality of this one?

so what you are really saying is you really like the artwork of Kazuma Kaneko.

It's supposed to be a self-insert. His nationality is based on the region you bought the game. Given the setup of "this team is formed from the best of the best from across the globe", it fits.

So in Final they fixed some of the issues you had!
Bad news! They added in more!

So in final like in 4, there still is no defense stat meaning every fight is just a damage race, even better the MC gets pierce all near the end of the game, so you just 1 shot every boss from then on.

The DLC got even more Pay 2 win, one of them lets you buy level 90+ demons, ready to transfer skills, for around 10k macca. The Level limit does not apply to them, as you can get them at level 10 if you so choose.

They fixed the partner AI by making the only decent partners be buffers and healers, and they will no longer attack into resists and weaknesses. You also can choose who your partner is.

They revamped the smirk system, and somehow made it less horrible and more horrible at the same time. Preemptive attacks can now cause smirks, so randomly you start off against a group of enemies who are all smirking because RNG declared it. Smirking no longer gives obscene evasion, but now adds bonuses to certain attacks, like some abilities get pierce if you're smirking. Other notable changes include that mudo and hama are now just damage spells unless you're smirking then they have the IK.

Story is a train wreck, the pacing is horrible with a massive amount of filler, one of the routes literally is you and your friends team up to kill YWHW by saying he's not real at him. There's no alignment system at all so really just mash through the mounds of dialogue they throw at you because 90% of it is WE GOTTA SAVE FLYNN, FLYNN IS SO COOL, I WISH I WAS ISABOUX. You kill one of the main villains about halfway through, but it's then revealed HE WAS ONLY PRETENDING TO BE DEAD It's better than 4's but not by much.

Macca grinding is still the same stupid shit where you run in circles trying to make shit spawn that's on a timer. Higher difficulties multiply the prices in the Compendium too. It's really just there so you buy the damn Macca DLC goyim.

Now here's the dumbest thing about the game. There is no penalty for death outside of I think DLC hard. You don't lose money, you just spawn in exactly where you were before the fight, ready to go right back in. No penalty at all.

I never knew, that pretty cool thematically.

You forgot to mention that there is now a move that can remove smirk, but one of your partners learns a skill that gives you a smirk.
Don't pretend that he doesn't do the same thing in the Anarchy route with his best friend Dagda and Satan instead
The only place where you face a penalty for death outside of the dlc difficulty is inside the cosmic egg before you remove the mandala. Other than that maybe the YHVH fight since that would make sense, but I don't remember them saying such a thing or encountering it since I beat him in one shot.

If you die in the egg you have to be trying, the game even on hardest is piss easy at that point from how Overpowered you are

Whether it is easy or not, that's where the developers explicitly state you'll get a game over screen at death in the base game

I think that's the only place outside of the first 5 seconds by refusing dagda you can even get the game over screen.

Doesn't change the game being garbage though

MT1 is a shitty dungeon crawler that doesn't even realize its setting at all. You need to have some really low standards to consider it a good game.

I look at it like a lot of early dungeon crawlers, more focussed on it's mechanics than it's story. It's fine, the dungeon is well layed out and it's a fun game. Sure it's sequels integrate more story into the game but MT1 was a good play.

What was your first clue?

I would argue that SJ's MC is supposed to be the best of the best. But much like the Demifiend what makes him relevant to the story is not necessarily innate to him, but imparted to him early in the game.

That is a fun idea.
How about we go back to 6 man parties so I can just control my partners and not have to worry about fiddly AI partners.

I just started playing Nocturne for the first time, not sure what to think of it yet. Just got to Matador and I was probably way underleveled since he killed all my demons in one hit and me in two. Also how does the moon meter even work? The enemy encounter rate seems to come from the flickering of the colors from blue to red in the bottom corner, but how does the moon work? I think some NPC said you get better enemies at low/full moon but how is there any way to control it since the fights seem to come at fixed intervals anyway?

And is there any key method of gaining good money? Seems like most of my earned cash goes back into the fountain to heal my shit. Should I just grind tirelessly at the beginning of the game before fountains become a thing?

Been a while since I played nocturne, but moon at full will make it so you can't recruit demons, the phases can also affect fusions and 1 or 2 bosses.

Maybe you were deprived of good games for so long that even playing an okay game is worth it. Honestly, I got bored of SMT4. Nocturne, too, for that matter, but for different reasons. 4 had a lot of interaction with characters and they just stopped being interesting when they had the cliche "I'm not explaining anything, find it out on your own!" And then trying to navigate the world map is a fucking chore.

Nocturne, on the other hand, never gave me a reason to care. It felt mindless, running into the main characters to get slapped in the face is shitty, and the grind is retarded. If you're not bothered by grinding and enjoy the feeling the world gives off, Nocturne can be fine.

Also, why don't you fuckers ever talk about Soul Hackers? That's also a decent dungeon crawler.

You shittalking my waifu?
DDS is best SMT

What?

I had to, at least. Even when exploiting weaknesses, the buffs never seemed to help much, and I felt underleveled a lot of the time. I don't think I ran from too many battles, though.

You kill YHVH in SMT IV Final. What the fuck are talking about with lacking the balls to make you kill God?

No it hasn't been because translators are fucking lazy when it comes to SMT but they're more than willing to retranslate the same 6 FF and Tales games.

When it comes to nocturne I have severe autism. I like to collect every type and have at least one fusion of every type. It's become a pokemon demon simulator for me…

It still bothers me that DeSu2 got personafied but at the gameplay is still fun

What a travesty.

Let me rephrase, It's not like Atlus won't continue making YHVH the main bad guy, but their current presentation for themes has lost it's bite.

Just like With Hitler in P2 they can't really have the same tone as previous games. The heavy oppressive atmosphere and gothic imagery. It's been replaced with this very Persoan 3/4 style of presentation.

Strange Journey was the first mainline SMT game intended for an international audience. It was given a non-numbered title so potential customers new to the series wouldn't fall pressured to play the rest of them first

Wait, correct me if I'm wrong and/or retarded, but the answer to shitty translations that come off as localisations localizations isn't a word apparently is to release games targeted for an international audience, right? Plus Strange Journey proved that they're fucking awesome.

Did I just save video games?

Buffs and debuffs are pretty much the key to winning battles alongside using the press turn system. Getting to +3 in buffs along with debuffing the enemy to -3 gives a massive difference in strength.

I forgot to add that proper fusion and demons are also important, but a lack of a proper strategy will get you killed no matter how strong the demifiend and his demons are.

Yeah, the extra bosses are a nice addition but having to partially unlock content after each playthrough with points you win by fucking completing the social links among other things fuck you persona 3 made it a real chore. That and I just hated most of the characters and the music was too different (in a bad way for me, thanks again persona) compared to DeSu1.

I played DeSu1 non-stop until I had beaten every ending.

I stopped in DeSu2 after the first.

Don't have a 3DS and not planning to get one anytime soon.

Seriously? 4 have no defense stat? What, did they let Bethesda program their game.

Oh my god…

I hate to ask this, but does 4 have social links and the Power of Friendship?

Same here with DeSu2. As for DeSu1, I was burned out when the last ending I needed was Atsuro's. I was in the middle of the playthrough when I just stopped playing and went for other games. And then my microSD got corrupted because my pc's front USB ports are shit. I was playing EO1 nearing BF20. The wound still hasn't healed.

Is there anything else to do but the social link? The achievements thing was added to DeSu:Overlocked too. I mean there is Dera-Deka and maybe the fiends but that won't really stop you from getting Fate-5.
Hell, you can get everyone to 5 and AO with 4 in Daichi's route.
Yamato did nothing wrong, Fumi is best girl. Why Ronaldo so shitty?

No, SMTIV has no SL.
You kill your friends who don't agree with you

I do not like social links at all so of course I fucked up because I just went with whatever characters I found remotely enjoyable in that wreck of a game: I went with all faction leaders save from Ronaldo because everything about him is retarded. 'Communism will fix this! Why can't you see that you shitlord?'

I really can't blame you. I hate that they gave it the Persona Treatment.

user hate to break it to you but matador is a piss easy fight. Have either sukukaja and rakukaja, or rakukaja and debuffs. On matador's second phase he rarely removes debuffs, else not all. There is a grind sort of but i had level 20 demons last through the entire game and thats through the TDE route which is kind of a pain to do btw, i beat it in like ~49 hours.

Trumpeter fight tips because everyone sucks at him
every four moves he either heals or does a one shot move, try to fuse or get sentana because trumpeter spams wind moves and ice mainly. So just use demons who have (1) no weakness but can reflect/void wind, fire, or ice (2) can compensate for any weakness (buffs and debuffs trumpeter gets rid of debuffs at every 4 turns but even sukukaja at least twice helps. Have demons that are already at like 1 hp and have tons of revival beads (why?) because he will one shot or heal anyone with the LOWEST PERCENT health remaining. This includes Trumpeter when it comes to holy melody (he can heal himself completely).

I recommend getting a 3ds so you can cfw it and obtain access to its entire library. I already done it, there are plenty of good games on there, you wont regret it. There is a thread up right now, it says freeshop on the thread picture if you're having trouble finding it.

Tbh i just went in smt4 not expecting anything and i came out pleasantly surprised. It is a decent and kinda difficult game except that you can change difficulty, i bullshit a lot with savescumming due to the fact that you can save ANYWHERE and use it to my advantage. I dont know how many hours i have in there level 21 but my opinion is that its good a lot better than purseowner, try the game, form your own opinion, you might just like it too, or not.

pic related

Which demon would you fuck?
Pics related, i love them legs

Every fucking time.

Thats not the point
The dungeon design itself is extremely simple in it. In terms of dungeon design MT2 doesn't have a lot of improvements but at least it realizes its setting well enough to be enjoyable regardless.