Was there ever a reason why the Hellraiser films sucked so hard after the first 2...

Was there ever a reason why the Hellraiser films sucked so hard after the first 2? Everything that came after is completely forgettable, but the concept is cool as hell. I think I gave up after the 5th film. Looking at some info it even got 4 more films made, and surprisingly one was made just recently. I feel like the theme the series had never got explored properly.

Other urls found in this thread:

hooktube.com/watch?v=jtTejkOpgbs
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Same things happens with a lot of stuff that basically becomes a brand. There have been ten movies in total so far. You'd have to have someone earnestly working on the material, especially being that it was based on nothing but a novella.

From what I understand at one point they were only making Hellraiser films just to retain the rights to the brand.

Once it became a profitable IP, the studio didn't care. Clive Barker was cut out. most of the later ones were just unreleased movies they had lying around that they added a couple of scenes of Pinhead to. The final film in the series was just made so they could retain the IP, and they didn't plan on releasing it.

Supposedly the fourth one was actually quite ambitious and could have been something, but got fucked in editing. That was the last time Clive Barker was involved with the series.

God damn it. Business as usual it seems.

Wasn't that the one in the space-ship? I remember how the start was really promising but I honestly don't remember much afterwards. Reminded me a lot of Event Horizon, too. Can you imagine a fucking Hellraiser/Event Horizon cross-over?

I thought the 3rd one was still watchable, even if considerable weaker than the first two. Have a free bump, since your question has already been well answered.

I can hardly remember the third one outside of the protagonist being a giant edgelord, and the DJ Cenobite.

Dimension bought the rights and tried to turn it into a slasher-type series

We did get Angelique tbh

That's genuinely quite an unsettling design. I'll give them that.

I thought Hellraiser 3 was solidly meh. It started OK, the middle was a little boring, and it could have ended better. But it was still alright. Even 4 and 5 had their charms. I don't think it really came off the rails until 6.

I just downloaded Judgement when it hit the tubes a week or so ago. It seemed to only be tangentially related to the Hellraiser mythos. I honestly couldn't even follow along with it. The big-tit chicks that ate the puke were hot. That's honestly all I remember about the movie.

Oh yeah! Didn't he kill a dude via a CD to the head?

3 was fun. 4 was a good place to stop the series. The rest are shit.

the comic stuff was good, too bad

Because Hellraiser is Pinhead. That is all. Everything from the later movies basically suck outside of his scenes, with a few exceptions. I even have problems with 2, with how he was bitched out so easily by muh "I know you were a decent hooman before so search your feels and only half heartedly fight the big bad endboss kthxbai".

Hey check out my new spaceship that folds space.

How?

*shows off large spinning puzzlebox*

hooktube.com/watch?v=jtTejkOpgbs
What did he mean by this?

What

/ourguy/ Paul has done a pretty good analysis of the Hellraiser franchise. The first two are indie horror kino for sure, starting from the 3rd they went all to shit.

If there's a franchise that could use a "reboot done right" it's Hellraiser.

Features too much amazing atheist for my tastes

Not really. He makes random quips every now and then but it's all Paul. He also went ahead and watched the latest "Hellraiser: Judgement" movie, bretty gud review as well.

It sucks that the sado-masochism themes were abandoned after the second one. They kinda tried to bring the series back to its roots with that one quasi-remake they made, but after all the straight-to-video unrelated movies they made it was too little too late.

Barker was cut off. And it probably didn't sit well with elites considering the esoteric aspect of the 2nd movie.
I watched 15 min of the 3rd one and deleted the movie.

Event Horizon was in a sense a spiritual successor.

The second movie is probably the least centered on Pinhead, and is also the best one.

tbh as horror franchises go, Hellraiser's fall wasn't even that bad

Yup, simply this. Capitalism working as Intended.

It was the best because they held him in reserve while bringing Julia back, who was even more of a freak than Frank. That was good. You always knew though that the events would culminate with facing off with the real enforcers of pain and when it finally comes, he gets bitched out with a crappy ending and not much of a fight because Kirstie showed him a selfie from his boyscout days. Horrible ending, almost ruins the whole film.

Compared to what? I guess Texas Chainsaw Massacre, which suffered a similar problem of everything becoming centered on an iconic villain, when that wasn't really what the original film was about.

The Halloween series comes to mind

I wasn't a huge fan in the first place, but I'd say Halloween faired better. Some of the later movies (H20) were solid. It never went straight to DVD, and from what I hear the remakes aren't too bad.

Holy shit, the irony of this video is off the fucking charts.
Not that he is wrong, but he seemed to have missed what made the first movie quite so…delicious. It wasn't a gore film. It wasn't a horror film. It was an allegory, with something important to say.

I've noticed that seems to be a problem these days. At some point, probably when Saw came out. The horror genre became the gore genre. Most classic horror films really aren't that gory. And the ones that did dwell on gore tended to be the cheaper, less respectable ones.
Texas Chainsaw Massacre is a classic with some real artistic integrity. Cannibal Holocaust is not.

You could actually buy cenobites at Toys R Us at one point.

that's what happens when slaneeshi daemons decide to pay a visit when you're crossing the warp.

Please don't ruin Hellraiser with your bullshit

DUDE SARCASM LMAO XDDDDDD

lmao the make-up on this dude

I used to love listening to this guy's stories back in the day. Some seemed kind of fake though.

The remake of Halloween is worse than Michael Bay Texas Chainsaw Massacre

Where are these horror movies with seven brilliant sequels? Enlighten me.

Most don't plummet to straight to video quite so fast.

Did we ever get a female pinhead?

Why does her outfit have a lot less leather than Pinheads?

wow

So we can see her tits.

We got Angelique.

(checked)
HNNNNNNNGGG

Nice!