Rewatching the LOTR trilogy right now, would it have been wiser for Theoden to face the uruk-hai on open field instead?

Rewatching the LOTR trilogy right now, would it have been wiser for Theoden to face the uruk-hai on open field instead?

Per my Total War experience, yes, considering the utter lack of cavalry from Saruman. They would be outmaneuvered easily.

no haha

they were outnumbered 10 to 1, had no cavalry, and men are weaker than orcs, and smaller

also theoden had no cavalry either iirc, which is why he waited for gandalf and aragorn

No, the plan would be to ride out and join with Eomer (in the movies at least, in the book, it should be to join with Erkerbrand in the east).

Theoden did have his royal guard, which numbers maybe a hundred.

I don't really know much about LOTR but in that part where an orc army attacks the white city you can see that 90% of the orks have pikes or spears, the best anti cavalry weapons, and then some moron charges them from the front with his horesmen and somehow wins.

Watch the damn movies.

Why didn't the eagles just firebomb the uruk-hai?

Spears is the best any weapon ever overall.
Swords are just fantasy meme weapons and were 100% useless in a real battle versus a long sharp stick

Uruk crossbow and balista…

racist movie, they should have allowed the orc refugees to live in minas twitch

I'll show ur mom my long sharp stick nerd

The host of orcs while besieging Minas Tirith were also positioned defensively anticipating an attack from the north, around the eastern end of the white mountains (and really the 'only' way for an army to travel). They put up trenches and spikes and awaited potential reinforcements

However, in the books, the the Duredain (wild men) lead Aragorn and Theodens forces through the white mountains through a secret pass in exchange for driving the orcs out and other terms for peace. This allows them to mount an attack on the rear of the orc host before they can mount a proper defense, allowing the smaller force to have such a significant impact

of course this isn't translated in the movies because of hackson and hollyjew

No
WHO WANTS TO TALK ABOUT LE EAGLES EX DEEE

Around eagles, watch your shingles!

1. No bottleneck
2. No hammer and anvil at the end
3. No help from the ents
4. No fortifications
5. No highground
Yeah, sure, meeting them on the open field would have been a great idea.

Why can't Gandalf just rain fire from the sky or something? Is his magic limited to summoning a horse

Tht's not how his magic works

well he summoned him as in he called him but no

I know this is a troll post, but Gandalf's 'powers' are hard to nail down mostly because Tolkien never elucidated on it. Istari (wizards) had guidelines on how they were supposed to interact with the world.

These rules were not ironclad, as the wizards had enough free will to become corrupted (Saruman) or distracted (Radagast) resulting in their failure.

ALL THAT BEING SAID, it appears Gandalf's power was drawing on existing things and 'exploiting them'. Gandalf, like the balrog, was able to have an extremely intimidating presence putting fear into his enemies. He was able to manipulate the sunshine behind him at helms deep to blind and drive the orcs mad. He was able to manipulate the sparks in the hobbit to miss all of the dwarves and bilbo.

Thus Gandalfs powers aren't in the vein of Harry Potter, but much more like Merlin, where foresight, wisdom, and slight manipulation of natural events were the source of his strength.

You're telling me Gandalf is literally captain hindsight with clumsy telekinesis.

Quit going on Holla Forums, you're starting to be afraid of saying what you think because of teens on the prowl to call everything shit.

foresight is not necessarily extrasensory. Gandalf has been on Arda for thousands of years, and has existed since the great music. He is wise beyond measure, and able to look at current circumstances, and deductively 'sees' the path things are more likely to follow. Gandalf has far more information about the world than any of the mortal races.

As far as clumsy telekinesis, he uses his 'power' very aptly in almost every circumstance, so you're going to have to give specific examples of when Gandalfs powers dont meet your criteria of usefulness

at worst you are a troll at best you are facetious, otherwise you wouldn't be asking why gandalf doesn't use fireballs

Then call him a fucking sage, not a wizard. Even the wizard of oz was intended by the populace to be able and throw shit around.

Semantics would have been to debate what is trolling. I psychoanalized your lapsus when you unawarely revealed your background

Try READING THE FUCKING BOOKS NERD

Well you're not selling them that good

Ah, you meant I was indulging in semantics when I expected wizards to rain fire and shit on enemies. Sometimes I don't realize how glad I am for not being american, but you mutts always care to remind me.