Seriously, what the FUCK was it about the 1980s that made it so shit for film?

Seriously, what the FUCK was it about the 1980s that made it so shit for film?
You look at any other decade for film and there's a large variety of groundbreaking classics being made that stand the test of time but then you get to the 80s and its all just cheesy blockbuster shit.
The only genuinely great films were released early in the decade and probably started production in the 70s, such as Raging Bull, The Shining and Blade Runner.
Sure, there are some fun flicks like Back to the Future and John Hughes movies and action films like Terminator, Predator and Die Hard and so forth, but the genuinely intelligent, gritty and realistic films just weren't being made like before and after. It took until the 90s for good films to start getting made again. What gives? Is it because of the success of blockbusters like Star Wars made film makers focus only on blockbusters, and it took them an entire decade until the 90s for them to start actually making films creative like they were in the 70s?

I am a white ethno-nationalist and even I must cunfess that art suffers under people like Reagan

This.
In the 70s there was an economic crisis, the Vietnam War and political instability, in response films became really cynical and dark to reflect the cultural, which in turn created some genuine pieces of art. In the 80s the economy was on the up so people just wanted feel good flicks and thus weren't as kino.

I heard a good theory that each 3 decades of film follows 3 different phases. 50s, 80s, 2010s, each are filled with fun and lighthearted films. 60s, 90s, more serious. 70s, 2000s, even more serious.

Pls immolate yourself in a tire.

The 80's was the best film decade. You're just a fucking pleb. The fact you think the 90's was good says it all.

yes

Been absolute shit so far

80's was god tier for genre films maybe except for westerns. Anyone who doesn't think the 80's was a decade for movies doesn't know movies.

Now that I think of it, many of the old school kino directors either died or retired in the 70s. In old times even Hollywood people watched European kino so maybe there was some kind of paradigm change when the art house directors left the building. Also many younger European kino directors left the art house scene and moved to do blockbusters in Hollywood.

Conan the Barbarian.
Robocop.

Two of the greatest movies of all time.

I forgot to mention Who Framed Rodger Rabbit.

Both overrated.

There were plenty of great movies. You’re just focusing on trendy shit stuff.

Came out in 1980, so was probably worked on during the tail end of the 70s
Came out in 1981, ditto
Flick
Everyone thought it was shit until Lynch made Twin Peaks
Flick
One of the first wewuz pics, directed by a Jew nonetheless
Attenborough had been wanting to make that film since 1952, and it was 1976 when production finally started and would've been filmed then had a state of emergency not been declared within India at the time, delaying it for 4 years. The only thing about the film that was 80s was when it was filmed, from December 1980 to May 1981. Hardly 80s when you think about it.
There are much better Westerns out there user, including ones starring Clint Eastwood
RT Average Score is 4.6/10
B-Movie
See the post you replied to
Flick
Remake, you even said it yourself

Flick
Flick
Yeah, no. Fuck off with that tranny-agenda pushing bullshit.
Flick that pushes various agendas under the guise of "humor". Also 1980.
Flick
Flick but Paul Hogan is God
School flick
All. Fucking. Flicks.

Oh, and
The seeds for the film were planted from 1977 - 1979 and everybody hated it at the time
Remake

Give me 10 films conceptualized after January 1980 and released after June 1982 that were truly good. That received contemporary praise, brought home awards, appear in the Criterion Collection and will be remembered decades from now as among the greatest of all time. Protip: You fucking can't.

First let's remove your movies from the 70'sthat were released before June 1972

Stopped reading right there. Kill yourself.

t. millennial who watched Predator on VHS as a kid and thinks it was the "bestest movie ever"

wat
And before you say negro acceptance, every single one of them in the movie is beyond retarded or in the case of Kareem, a joke itself about being a liar/fake

I know this is a joke, but I'm here to destroy you.

the absolute state of 80slets.
If those are the best films you can offer from the 80s then it just proves my point that the decade was trash because compared to films from the 20s-70s those films are all flicks. They're well made and fun to watch but they don't have intellectual depth or honesty to them that would make them genuine kino. You can pick a random year from 1930-1979 and there would be more kino released within a single year than there was in the entire decade from 1980-1989.
The only film there that is of any artistic worth is Raging Bull, which as discussed was made in the 70s and only released in 1980. FMJ is pretty good but one of Kubrick's lesser films compared to his 50s-70s work, debateably The Untouchables is good but still not as good as most 70s gangster films. The rest are pure flicks.

I think that embed related explains it pretty summarily.

Opinion discarded. Seriously, the 90s is one of the most boring blandest decades when it comes to film. There was Jurassic Park and Terminator 2 (developed in 80s) and one or two memorable thrillers. And then all I remember is some terrible early CGI shit. The only worse period is probably the current capeshit era.

I feel the same way just about the 2000s instead.

Please be joking. Save a scant few you are literally just listing off flicks and redditcore """""classics"""".

The 00's and the 10's have so far been far far superior than the 80's. There's been a real wealth of great films if you look outside the Hollywood grinder. In a way, mainstream cinemas inability to take risks has simply pushed all the vision outward where it can be properly expressed without as much interference.

the 80s were shit at everything, movies just reflected that
next question

Look further back, to the "New Hollywood" movement. From the mid 1960s to the early 1980s, there was this view of movies as true art and directors got more control. They started to push the boundaries with edgier, smarter, less conventional, more morally ambiguous movies. But then, some directors got a bit of an ego and lacked budget discipline, so you'd get financial disasters like pic related. When that happened, producers swooped in and took greater control of things, imposing simpler, "safer" writing for the unwashed masses (which also makes them more accessible to foreign audiences and younger viewers).

jews run Hollywood, and use it a vehicle to push degenerate cultural rot.Movies suck because of this, the only change since even 10 years ago let alone 58 is that they no longer give a shit about building any sort of coherent story around said propaganda so that the movie is either quickly forgotten (remember Man of Steel?, Godzilla?) or so repulsive it is rejected by even the most normal or normal fags (answer the call, TLJ,etc.).

Good answer.
Is Heaven's Gate actually good? I liked The Deer Hunter a lot.

stop bumping this terrible bait thread

Just try to find the humor in it. Realizing the kind of stuff a lot of Holla Forums puts on a pedestal puts most anons opinions in a very different light.

Toxic masculinity ruined the 80's. It wasn't until Ellen DeGeneres came out of the closet that I felt like I could breathe.

From a directing and cinematography standpoint it is a very beautiful film. Some might find it a little boring, I frankly don't when one considers the premise of the film is actually quite interesting. It is deffinately worth a watch then you can judge for yourself weather or not it deserved all the bad press when first released.

This

I could tell you to go and look in /bestemma/ but I'm feeling like giving you a quick rundown
Just a few off the top of my head.

literal who
80s cheesyness ruined it
literal who
RD is way better
30's Scarface is way better
perhaps the only acceptable one
meme
literal who
meme
literal who
goodfellas is way better
kinolan ones are way better
meme

Pure 80s kino. And if anyone disagrees then they have clearly never seen it,

Imagine being this much of a pleb.
Then again you like Harry Potter.

That scene is great, makes one want to be a money forger from the 80s

Reminder that The Terminator is Kino.
"The brutality and low acting skills are unfortunate, but as a vision of the future and the relation between man and his destiny, the film is pushing the frontier of cinema as an art." - Andrei Tarkovsky on The Terminator

huh?

Top Slav Bantz

"During the opening sequence when the Willem Dafoe character is shown printing money the film crew is actually creating counterfeit bills. They had a convicted counterfeiter on set showing them how it is done. They were filming out in the desert and Willem Dafoe said that every time a helicopter flew over the building they were sure it was the police coming to arrest them all"

William Friedkin, in his memoir "The Friedkin Connection," says that the fake money they made was so good that, after some of it left the set, he eventually heard from the Secret Service and a US Attorney. After he avoided a confrontation with them, Friedkin states, "When the film came out, there were news stories about people trying to make counterfeit money after seeing the step-by-step process in our film. I took some of the twenties, those printed on both sides of course, put them in my wallet, and spent them, in restaurants, shoe-shine parlors, and elsewhere. The money was that good."

Nice, I thought that I had read that the Secret Service monitored them as they shot the movie but I guess I got it mixed up with Breaking Bad and the DEA.

Getting permission wasn't Friedkin's style. Friedkin liked to shoot gonzo style if at all possible. Just look at The French Connection.

I bet that was the inspiration for the scene in Better Call Saul where they film an unauthorized commercial on an airstrip and use a wheelchair as a dolly

A lot of Gen X people masturbated to Fast Times. That's what people did in the days before the internet.

You should watch Porky's.

Add Over The Top to that list, just remembered it
Based Mike Hawk.

Or maybe the fact that wheelchairs have always been used as a cheap alternative to laying track.

This.
Robert Rodriguez used a wheelchair when he made El Mariachi on the cheap. Its just something that low budget film makers do to get dolly shots.

Being as no one stepped up to the plate, I took it upon myself to compile this list of 10 truly great films that came out within that decade proper. None of them 70s holdovers in any way, shape or form. Just to prove I don't hold any "vendetta" against the decade or any user in particular:

A Better Tomorrow (1986)
Akira (1988) Weebime I know, but that shouldn't discount its artistic merits
Amadeus (1984) The play did premiere in November 1979, but was modified for its Broadway adaptation in 1980 which the film was based on
Cinema Paradiso (1988)
Empire of the Sun (1987)
Jean de Florette (1986)
The Killer (1989)
The Untouchables (1987)
The Verdict (1982) Released in December '82, based on a novel that came out in 1980
Wings of Desire (1987)

And here's the films that didn't qualify:
Come and See (1985) - Delayed by Soviet government for 8 years in order to release on the 40th anniversary of their victory in WWII
Fitzcarraldo (1982) - Original set was already burned down by December 1979 meaning they'd been filming for quite a while
Koyaanisqatsi (1982) - Production began in 1972
Once Upon a Time in America (1984) - Developed throughout the late 60s and 70s, initial casting was done by 1975
Platoon (1986) - Screenplay was written in 1968
Ran (1985) - Turns out it was conceived sometime prior to 1975 and took 10 years to be completed
The Terminator (1984) - Based on a fever dream James Cameron had in 1978, and stolen from a 1964 Outer Limits episode
Withnail and I (1987) - Based on unpublished novel written in 1969

It's quite frankly astonishing how many "80s" films aren't actually 80s at all.

They bring the guy to the plane in a wheelchair and make him pretend he's a cripple tho.

Add City of Fire (1987)

hi reddit

Weren't producers rather than directors seen as the authors back in the day?