Is he named "Mega Man X" or just "X"?

Is he named "Mega Man X" or just "X"?

X. Some translations call it MegaMan X for some reason

Isnt he named mega man?

X.
Some games take 'MegaMan X' as a full title for him rather than a name.

Always thought this.

I guess it makes sense because his power is a variable.

Some game characters call him megaman or call him X but never both in the same sentence.

mega man, model "X" i suppose?

The Rockman X series is about the Maverick Hunter, X.

Magaman is the race, X is the name.
It's like Sonic Hedgehog or Cool Spot.

He's referred to as both, often X is just used as a short hand.

It's like having the Name "Faggot" but using "OP" because it's shorter

his name is X

No it's a Roman numeral you retard

His name is X
Megaman X is just the title.

Standard Holla Forums for ya.

His name is Megaman X (even Dr. Light flatout says "I am the man who created and built Megaman X") but everybody and their mother only call him X (in the first 3 games localization saw fit to have people calling him "Mega Man" for no reason though)

Whenever someone calls him "Megaman X" it tends to imply they have more background than they're letting on (both Dr. Light and Serges)

His name is Duff Mcwhalen

Volt Kraken

"megaman" ISN'T A FUCKING NAME.

MEGAMAN IS THE NAME OF THE "RACE" OR TO BE PRECISE THE TYPE OF ROBOT OR WHATEVER

HE'S A MEGA MAN

MEGA

MAN

HE'S JUST X.
MOTHERFUCKERS.

protoman looks like a trap here

if you can afford n3ds xl, go for it
2ds is great too

I want to do sexual things with her involving my penis, if you get what I'm saying

A hobby so you can stop shitposting here

That's pretty rude my dude

i'm in the same boat nigga, i just don't know how to play and be successful

Well, he worked on the Professor Layton crossover and that Dai Gyakuten Saiban spin-off series.

Well, when everything that has been revealed of it points out to it being shit, it most likely will be shit.

Can humans marry reploids?

Your point?

Then what's Rock's new name when he becomes a super fighting robot? You're telling me that pic related's name, or at least one of his names, isn't Mega Man?

Dude he's a Mega Man.

But the other Mega Man is just X because saying Mega Man X sounds like you're getting Mega Man Eggs.

They explicitly call him Mega Man tons of times in the games. And in Japanese they call him Rockman. He was Rock, then he became a superhero so they attached the "man" suffix to his name. You can say that later Rockman models relegated him to just being "a Rockman," but his name is still actually Rockman. Rockman is a name.

There's a reploid in MMZ who had Ciel build him an old man body because his human wife had gotten old and he was still young.

He's Mega Man X as decreed by Dr. Light (and his schematics shown in the intro to the first X game), but he seems to just go by "X" either as his actual name or just a shorthand. He's also a Mega Man as in the type of robot due to being the newest in the line with Mega Man/Rock as his predecessor.

Sure can, Mega Man Zero games outright elaborate on a human/reploid interspecies relationship. That old Reploid in the resistance base who had himself remodeled into an old man to age alongside his lover.

Yeah but do you feed eggs to a Mega Man? You don't

Protagonist names by series
Classic: Civilian - Rock Light Hero Mega Man
MMX: "X"
MMZ: Zero
MMZX: Vent, Aile, Ashe, and Gray. They use bio metals to become a "mega man"
Legends: Mega Man Volnutt. originally Mega Man Trigger. Original name comes from him being a Mega Man created by the last human. Current name is because he's named after the classic Mega Man, who has become a popular cartoon character (like people naming their kids "Thor" nowadays.

I fucked up the punctuation in classic
He's Rock or Rock Light
when he transforms, he's Mega Man

So if Mega Man X is a Mega Man because he's based on the original Mega Man, does that make all Reploids also Mega Mans since they're based on X?

By extreme technicality it would, though what seems to define a Mega Man is generally a humanoid appearance in the vein of X (or, reaching farther back, in the vein of Rock) and the ability to copy enemy abilities in some form or other. X, Zero and Axl would be the only Reploids that fit the definition as far as the X series goes because they're the only humanoid Reploids with copy functions that aren't side-characters like all the New-Generation Reploids.

Yeah, I'm a faggot for robot-pussy.

I thought he was The Battle Rainbow?

We can stop the thread right here.

Except neither X nor Zero are Reploids. Reploids are robots based on X's code, with the first being Sigma. Zero was made before X and is therefore not a Reploid and given that X is the blueprint, he can't be a replication android of himself

X is referred to as a Reploid in-universe for the sake of convenience, though you're right that he's not a Reploid due to being the ancestor-robot for all Reploids on both a hardware and software level. Technically he'd be an extremely high-class Robot Master, as well as Zero, with Axl being the only actual Reploid of that triumvirate.

Truly the greatest time to be alive.

but were not alive

Is it Mega Man or Megaman?

kek

its capcoms mario bros

Officially it's Mega Man.
But in Japan, it's Rockman.

But of course when bringing some of the later games over, Capcom made no distinction between the english and Japanese logos, just opting to swap our the "Rock" in Rockman to a "Mega", hence "Megaman".

The new series compromises on it by making it MegaMan at worst.

I get the fuck X is a variable and can be anything

but why was Zero named "zero?"

the fact*

Obviously it's because he's a constant.

because Zero is the opposite of X

This
X is a sideways cross, jews would sign with O's, aka kikels (circles) in yiddish, instead of X's

Holla Forums pls go

Rockman

:^)

It's been consistently spelled Mega Man since the mid-2000's

Too bad we don't live in it, then again robot armageddon is a constant thing with yearly spikes so it's not as good as you think it is.

Same reason. 0 is the starting point. From there onwards, you have infinite possibilities.

I was almost convinced mega man autism died out until I saw this thread

Genius.

but rockman is silly. they dont call the robot masters personman. they call them person man

user man we need to have funposting threads too. if we just shitpost and derail all the time we will turn into sludge

0 is an absolute point that cannot be changed or weakened, so X is infinite potential and Zero is absolute power.

Worked for Mega Man himself, Nintendo with Sm4sh and Archie with the comics are probably the only sources that've actually remembered Mega Man isn't at human intelligence or emotional capabilities and he can't grow as a person or express believable emotion in some scenarios.

But every thread is a shitposting thread these days.

Cum in Ferham.

That's how it's always been written. Rockman.

inb4 someone crops the crying megaman here

DUFF
MCWHALEN

It's pronounced Ten. X means 10.

The games with voiced characters pronounce it like the letter.

It's Japan though, X is cross.

screaming like a retard to overexaggerate is the same fallacy as drawing the counter-argument as goofy and cartoony and upset and your argument sounding calm and cooler.

What exactly is wrong with his name? I agree his stage is shit and his weapon is shit and capcom got lazy, and I think that's worse than his name or design.

It's OCD repellent.

squids change colors all the time

Actually, Mega Man can grow as a person, just not as freely as a human being. Remember, he was willing to fucking kill Wily once and for all in 7, only being stopped by his own programming. He can learn from his experiences, it's just he can only learn in the way he was programmed to learn.
Sm4sh only gave him the emotionless look because it was replicating the sprites for nostalgia points. All official Capcom art for the series since Mega Man 1 has given Rock emotional expressions. And Archie had robot masters developing and growing. Blues was going through a damn existential crisis.

That whole "almost killed Wily" bit was not in the Japanese version.

No, it was. The difference between the two is that, after Wily says Mega Man can't kill him because of the rules of robotics, in the U.S. version Rock then says he's more than his programming. In the JP version, Rock remains silent.

I wouldn't exactly call it growing as a person if he can really only do so along pre-set boundaries, though that raises a whole bunch of ethical quandaries (as well as cognitive dissonance) if a Robot Master can grow, but only along a pre-defined course of growth.

Archie also established that Blues doesn't have free will at all, just that his directive of "be my son" from Dr. Light is so broad that he can generally truly make his own decisions and stop to think about what he is and what he's doing. I wouldn't say he's growing either, really; he's still pretty pissed about being replaced by Rock.

Naw, he almost killed Wily regardless of region. Hesitated after being reminded of the Three Laws in the Jappo version but is just a second or two away from going through with it in the US.

X is a variable and can be arbitrarily high, so it can exceed any number. Zero, on the other hand, can bring any arbitrarily high number down to its level with a simple multiplication. You see that reflected in the way the two characters play. X constantly gets new weapons and new armors to BTFO the Mavericks. Meanwhile, Zero's skill set and overall design doesn't change much, because it doesn't have to.

Also, Mega Man X is X's full name because he's based on the original Mega Man in terms of both appearance and functionality. Proto Man wasn't Mega Man Proto, he was just Proto Man.

Conman did at least create X and Zero along with their series, right?

Inafune created Zero and had a hand in the original design of Mega Man, if I remember right. He didn't create the X series but did drive it into Zero fanfiction ~X3-X4 (hell I remember him saying he always wanted Zero to have the spotlight of the series) and he tried prematurely ending it with X5, both giving us that goofy-ass super saiyan Zero and trying to lead Zero stepping into a capsule for virus study into Mega Man Zero.

I honestly don't know how much control he exerted over Mega Man Zero given the radically different tone and writing of that particular series, though I do know X was changed into Copy X because X6 spat in the face of X5 where Inafune's idea over Zero's fate was concerned so the X ruling over Neo Arcadia was retconned pre-emptively into a copy of the real robot.

let's squidaddle

IIRC the X to Copy X change was because Capcom didn't agree with the original idea.

I also wonder how much got retconned because of X6… Then again like it matter because the Zero series decided on making it's own conclusion to the X series.

X not having turned evil and fucking genociding Reploids just to save energy for humans was probably one of the only times ever executive meddling wasn't a shit idea.

Megaman looks fucking terrible inside Sm4sh.

just to fuck the thread further, is it eccs or cross?

Zero having a definite reason for being where he was sealed in the first Zero was retconned until supplementary material for the series as a whole explained he was shoved into a capsule for Maverick-inducing virus experimentation after all (then brought out in a copy body when Weil stole his and shoved back in after he'd helped) but as far as I remember X6 didn't really throw anything too off-kilter in the long run, just prevented Inafune from directly tying anything to X5 until Z4 remembered the Eurasia colony existed.

Nah I agree with that, it's a fucking goofy idea on-par with super saiyan Zero for patent ridiculousness. Requires a hell of a logical leap for X to start manufacturing Reploids just for the sake of killing them and arbitrarily declaring everything Maverick, even assuming he went crazy somewhere along the line.

I thought his name was just Rock and Roll was his bitch?

Super Saiyan? I don't remember that from X5.

But didn't Conman create X and Zero themselves along with the MMZ games?

Bad ending path where you run out of time or the shuttle fails.

Megaman 10

X

Megaman Man is a title going by ZX.

Like the other guy says, Zero legit goes super-saiyan in the paths leading to the bad ending. Apparently him being a good guy was because he was a Maverick and he's actually an evil robot at his core (so he went so fucking crazy he became a clear-thinking good guy) and after having a cocktail of Maverick viruses pumped into him somehow he regained his "sanity" and now he's evil again. Also his boss AI is still a massively dumbed down X2 Zero, except if you take too long he instakills you because how dare you easily worm around the near-braindead AI in this climactic final battle.

Inafune created Zero as a character, not X. X was designed by Hayato Kaji, though Inafune wanted Zero to be the main character which he pretty much got later by making the series focus more and more on Zero as time went by until it evened out at X6 when Inafune stopped paying as much attention.

It's just X

I pretty sure this is the case, since no one is aware who Light is and that he created Megaman.

To the Reploid universe they thought he was a random robot found in a pod. They call him X as if he is "Project X" or "Robot X".

The reason he is called Megaman X is to show that it is related to the old stuff

It's "Sigma" or "Σ"?

It's eggusu

Also by Legends. Megaman are a specific class of reploid

it's siΣgmä

It's Cigma

Ruby spears Roll looked soft and even had a toaster gun.
Great robutt.

Was an interesting way of going about the character for a western audience, especially given her weapon was still a glorified household appliance. Ruby-Spears didn't really do too bad a job with that show considering it was still pretty faithful to the source material.

"Oh no, he's going to shoot President Lincoln!"

Faithful as far as the actual game material goes, the rest of the goofy shit like lion-men or time travel goes without mentioning.

That corny shit was too fun.