Cloud is supposed to be satire of the edgy action hero trend

Do FF7fags like to smell their own farts THAT much?

Other urls found in this thread:

community.pcgamingwiki.com/files/file/599-truemotion-2-codec/
forums.qhimm.com/index.php?topic=8306.0
steamcommunity.com/id/furrets
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Cloud was never in SOLDIER. His memories are actually Zack's. /thread

The only reason Cloud himself turned out that way was because in Kingdom Hearts Nomura grafted Vincent onto him and that turned out popular enough with japanese fans to stick around.

I think it's just one autistic user who constantly gets to perpetuate that meme, it's the same thing with him thinking that cloud killed president shines which didn't happen. It was jenova using an apparition of sephiroth. And before that autist comes in here to prove me wrong, Palmer is the smoking gun.

Yeah, and Cloud is the one who let it out. How else do you explain why Cloud's cell door is open?

But that's true in just about every non-FF7 game he showcases in. Why would someone say they're parodying the trends that followed them?
I think you've missed the context of that person's statement.

Who the fuck told you that?
Cloud isn't an action hero, nor is he edgy. He isn't even half as good as Zack and he is nothing compared to Vincent in terms of brooding and edgy.
Where do you "Cloud is edgy" fucks come from?

Multiple user on this very board

Then why don't you argue with them instead of making a shitty thread with a false premise long after their posts are gone with the winds?

You know where they come from, the same place all people who buy this "Cloud is Edgy" meme come from. It's Reddit, if you're actually that retarded

Cloud is an action hero, but only from the moment the game starts.

To trigger people that think ff7 is the bestest game ever and to cause some chaos

Why the fuck would you bandage a sword? This isn't just a Nomura thing since I've seen this same stupid shit in other media too

I think you'll need to go back in time to before 2005 to find someone willing to argue that.

Looks cool

To get an e-rating probably?

You think you know chaos? I was born into it, molded it something something bane.

because it looks cool
thats pretty much why most design decisions are taken. Its why the buster sword is big instead of being a normal practical sword.

compared to the average guy from SOLDIER he is not.
In the opening he struggles to take on more than 3 Shinra guards alone and Sephiroth is mary sue anime bullshit character who can destroy tanks with a slice of his blade. I guess you can say Cloud does action hero things like blowing power plants and stuff but that isn't his own idea.

Actually it's meant to counter Sephiroth's nodachi both for width vs length and for the Musashi vs Sasaki parallels.

The average guy in Soldier can cast Sleepel and has 1200 HP. Only Sephiroth had that much power.

He also kills the main villain before the game begins after being run through by a giant katana.

Because taking it to a smithy to get it fixed is way too expensive.

how old are you, OP?

He'd have to be pretty old to still be pissed off about shit people thought in the late 90s.

rufus

That doesn't make any sense and isn't supported by what happens in the game. Two scenes before they are captured, Cloud freaks out and collapses in front of Jenova.

Why would Rufus open Cloud's cell door when 1) he had no idea who Cloud was, as they don't meet until after the President is killed 2) has no idea what the connection between SOLDIER and Jenova is, as Hojo has to explain it to him in the scene where Cloud gives Sephiroth the Black Materia in the Northern Crater, 3) it's only after President Shinra is killed that anyone starts looking for Sephiroth, until that point, everyone thinks he is dead, including Hojo.

ITT: People not knowing the story of Final Fantasy VII.

Clearly newfags who haven't played FFVII enough (or don't know how to read) to know that the first Sephiroth is not real, or that Jenova is controlling everyone through Cloud for half of the game.

Wow some anons told you that so it must be true.

Yup, Cloud killed Sephiroth by grabbing the katana that is lodged in his chest bladewise no less, lifting said sword while it still lodged in him and chucked Sephiroth down a shaft…while Cloud is still a regular grunt no less while the badass SOLDIER Zack got his ass handed to him.

What is the best way to replay ff7?

PSP.

PC

NES demake.

He was in SOLDIER, he was just a super low-rank nobody. He was like the faceless goons you fight at the start of the game.

How he became strong enough to wield the buster sword and surpass Sephiroth is another matter, though.

He was a shinra infantryman that's different from being in SOLDIER.

No, Cloud was a member of the Shinra army. All SOLDIER members are infused with Jenova cells. Cloud didn't get infused until after Sephiroth was killed at the Nibelheim reactor.

Fair enough. It's been a while since I played anything relating to FF7, but I was fairly certain he was at least given the minimum Mako treatments that Shinra soldiers get.

if you emulate it. remember there was a fucking clownshoes FF7 PC port with non soundfont MIDI music.

Cloud is literally insane and acts like an edgy douche for most of the game until best girl saves his brain and he turns into a pretty okay guy. Even while insane, Cloud has his moments where he shows there's a pretty okay guy in there, but his false personality conflicts with its true self.

Wrong.

That shit never did anything and was just a cover up for the fact that they were injecting people with shapeshifting alien cells.
He did eventually get that shit into him, when Hojo put him and Zack into the tubes below the mansion, though.

No, the fucking climax of the game is Cloud admitting to himself that he wasn't in SOLDIER.

He was initially rejected from SOLDIER I believe because he wouldn't be able to handle the strain from the the treatments but eventually would undergo them off the record after the nibelheim incident and was left catatonic for an extended period. So while he underwent treatment he never actively became a member of SOLDIER Zack just dressed him up like one after escaping the lab.

Shinra infantry isn't SOLDIER just as the Turks aren't either despite all three groups being on Shinra's payroll.

You needed the Mako to get the Jenova cells to fuse. Mako is just the in universe science word for MP.

No, it's because he was a normal kid and wasn't good enough. He explicitly says that he couldn't meet the entry qualifications in game.

But Cloud isnt edgy in the slightest. Did you even play FF7?

I may have been filling in some blanks, but I'm fairly certain the qualifications were used to determine if an entrant was capable of handling the mako treatments.

He tries to kill Aeris. That's pretty fucking edgy.

Weeb detected.

Nope. In Junon there is a Shinra army soldier NPC who spends the entire game studying for the entrance SOLDIER entry exam, and discusses how it requires you to be a pilot, master level materia user and skilled with close range weapons and fire arms.

Cloud failed because he as a bumpkin kid who thought he could just show up and get through it with spunk. It's because HE HAD UNREALISTIC NOTIONS OF HIMSELF, WHICH IS THE ENTIRE ARC OF THE CHARACTER.

It's not "muh magic mako mist."

These threads are filled with people who never even touched the games. They are too busy building mental images of the game.
I know IRL posters who shit on similar threads and they have never touched a final fantasy game.

Ah, fair enough.

tbf so was Zack

I got that fam

It's not "muh magic mako mist."

I actually thought the tests were physical and psychological evaluations used to determine ones ability to resist the physical and mental strain the treatments would have on them hence why Cloud has such a negative reaction once he is experimented on, but okay.

Zack studied and worked hard. until he reconstructs himself with Tifa at Mideel, Cloud's solution to problems is to pretend they are already solved by acting like someone else.

Cloud is an emo, not edgy.

This post is bait. Don't reply to bait. Sage and report bait.

;)

That was the twist, wasn't it? Zack and Cloud are bumpkin kids who have heroic aspirations. Cloud couldn't cut it, but Zack was that cliche kid with superhuman potential who went on to become the pride and joy of his podunk town.. and then Cloud lived vicariously through him.

That's why FF7 Cloud is an actual interesting character while AC and KH Cloud are fucking awful. Cloud is a hick desperately trying to deny that about himself. In a perfect world, he would have southern twang to his voice.

It's a redneck scabbard.

But what'd he say in the nip version? I've always wondered that but could never find out.

"Rets moisiru"

Cloud wasn't really edgy, though.

He's not emo either.

The public perception of Clouds character has been utterly fucked by KH, AC and all the other garbage that came afterwards. I'm worried that the remake is going to have this nuCloud as the main character and not the original.

PC + RETranslation patch, it's called the THE REUNION i think

i would agree with you if he was not a experiment that barely classifies as human, at least he has a excuse to be absurdly strong, he is a monster.

most people that played the game didn't get that point mostly because of the terrible translation i think

it would be weird if he was not insane after all that crap.

That translation is actually worse than the original.

REUNION is a mod pack, Beacause is the mod.

how so? it's not perfect but i find it better than the Original mess, it overkills accents but damn the spelling mistakes and sometimes nonsensical dialogues in the original translation are far worse.

It also makes it easier to tell what it is with those shitty graphics they used. If it were a properly sized long sword, with those graphics you would get people thinking they were using some kind of night stick. Its not as big a deal as in RTS where you want the player to immediately spot and identify what a unit is.

Unfortunately, they kind of missed the point there too. Cloud killing Sephiroth was a fluke that was brought on by Sephiroth being an arrogant twat, iirc.

Besides the obvious shit like not using the series standard for item naming, it's stilted as fuck.

He was possessed by Miang. Not his fault.

Apparently he just says "Let's go"/"Iku yo," but he says it more like a suggestion than a command.

Well that makes more sense for Cid's line

行くよ is pretty declarative unless there's a voiced inflection, but FF7 doesn't have VA so I'd surmise it's more of a command if what you're saying is true.

From context it sounds like "It's time" might be a good but non-literal translation.

Quality dropped after 6
seven was fine
eight went to shit
nine was trying to redeem
ten was ok
12 was shit
13 was point of no return
15 is shit

Cloud had already stabbed Sephiroth in the back, and his strength came from a one-time kind of thing because he was angry about his town getting fucked and his buddy getting rekt.

It was an adrenaline rush.

I think it was explained that he didn't fail due to weakness of body, but of weakness of mind, kind of like how a lot of really strong guys make it through SF selection and then get told that they can't cut it.

No, he failed because he didn't study for the fucking test.

if your mother was burned alive and the one you liked stab, won't you be mad at the fucker who did it?

That's weakness of mind, fam. It's like going to selection and not knowing your landnav.

The fact of the matter is people just didn't really understand what was happening in FF7, they don't read between the lines. Not because they were stupid more over they haven't played the game since childhood so the obsession stands off the imagery alone and not the dialog.

FF8 has the same problem but its issues stem more over the translation more then anything else. The common "…..whatever" dialog is horribly misrepresented because in western culture we see it as a sarcastic remark like a dickhead where the reality is the phrase is closer to "…..Sorry". Basically being a shy insecure kid instead of a brat that he appears to be. It makes his dialog choices make way more sense especially when you're making choices. You can either remain closed up or you can open up and respond more normally. A lot of the past FF games just really go over peoples head. A retranslation would do the game wonders.

I thought Cloud was a SOLDIER reject, because the Jenova cells basically didn't do anything to him as far as they could tell originally.

Or maybe I was wrong about that

not too long ago i had a discussion with a friend about FF8 and holy hell did he not understood the story at all, he didn't know Laguna was Squall father and the story was more about Raine-Laguna-Julia Love story than anything else, he thought Squall died at end too.

Pull your head out of your ass, just because it's super popular doesn't make it less good.

To be fair, the story pacing in FF8 is kinda fucking all over the place. I can't blame someone for getting confused about it. Not sure how he thought Squall died at the end, though.

That might be something too, because weren't the Sephiroth clones also guys who had undergone treatment but didn't have the will to keep themselves as individuals? I need to play this game again.

After the FF8 remake will we get a ff8 remake?

Underrated post

Edgy action hero trend didn't started with FF7. Both Wolverine and Punisher were doing it at least 10 years earlier than Cloud, in comics and their own games.

You have it right. I'm not sure why they are different from the SOLDIERs you fight in the field, though. Maybe increased treatment? They were given specific designations.

:DDDDDDDD

No, they've been planning this remake for long while. I can't find the exact quote, but when the Advent Children Movie came out, Square said it was part of a "long term tribute to their most famous game, and the final stage of the tribute would be 20 years after the game was released." They aren't planning on this for any other games, but I'm betting they'll talk about it when the cash starts flowing in.

Probably not, but I hope they do.

The junction system was a neat idea, but its full potential was never realized because the game is way too easy and Square never tried to use it again.

The Remake scares the shit out of me, Tifa tits will be reduced and cloths toned down, Barret and Cids swearing removed completely, the more serious stuff in the story toned toned down too( for example, AVALANCHE is no longer a AllahSnakbar style bomb buildings and kill civilians in their mess) and so much more. i hope i wrong and nothing gets toned down/removed but i fully expect the worst.

unless FF7 remake is a astronomical success i don't see it happening. but it was fun doing a No Level Up run.

Well they're definitely not going to let Cloud get gang raped.

It's already ruined as far as I'm concerned, adding voice acting alone is a terrible idea.

i get that it was suppose to be a comical scene, and it is, but what really happen there? or maybe it's better if we never know.

all i ever wanted was HD models with new HD backgrounds, maybe some new extra content and a far better translation, that's it. but from the looks of it we will get a episodic KH combat style FFVII with VA based more on around AC style than FF7 itself.

i have laugh at this disgrace, Tetsuya Nomura ruined FF7 and, like some cosmic prank, The best project he ever had VERSUS XIII got ruined by Tabata, amazing really.

They got him naked and groped him in a hot tub.

Try playing XII in HD resolution while ignoring the shitty draw distance/pop-in.

Plus it's supposed to be a ceremonial sword only a few people cloud, zack are stupid enough to wield with any regularity.

Is that lore from a shitty spin-off that should be ignored? Because I don't remember such a thing being mentioned in FF7.

Actually it looks like there may have been some penetration.

you people have no idea why you even hate on 13, do you?

10 was okay. While it was also extremely linear, it had a good combat system. 13's combat is god awful and you can't even direct your whole party for some fucking reason.

Something similar was used by other SOLDIERs that you fight as common enemies.

yeah, combat was 13's biggest problem
jesus christ

Blame Nomura, Crisis Core establishes that its original owner Angeal didn't use it in memory of his father (who had it forged with borrowed money and fell ill and died working to pay back the debts for it) and Zack both used it sparingly and struck with the blunt side to avoid tarnishing it too badly. So for all intents and purposes it's a ceremonial weapon that Cloud's the only one to really use with regularity.

FF7 has spinoffs?

Movies, more video games, soon to be that ARPG remake.

So a shitty spinoff we should ignore then. Unless you think we should start considering KH canon as well?

Original and Crisis Core were written by Kazushige Nojima so really the worst you could present it as is the writer's fanfiction of his own creation. Kingdom Hearts doesn't have any bearing on any Final Fantasy game and it doesn't pretend to either whereas Crisis Core is presented as a prequel.

Coincidentally I was reminiscing about ff7 today, watched videos of Sephiroth in the mansion scenes, etc.
Just drawing some thoughts and observations, Sephiroth wanted to see his Mom Jenova after reading in the underground mansion library. He wanted to make the supposed Promised Land that the Ancients, or Cetra, were trying to make. What is Sephiroth's idea (or, the Cetra's) of a Promised Land? The Cetra apparently come from another planet, they inhabited this one, and the planters moved to another planet to continue the seeding of planets with people of Cetra. So technically the natives (humans) of the planet were the ones getting genocided by Cetra, and somehow the humans wiped out the Cetra. How could they even win against the Cetra who could use the planet's energy Mako/materia? Mechanical technology I guess, like Shinra style stuff Eliminating Cetra, this was good to keep diversity alive among humans, the Cetra already had countless Planets probably. Now Sephiroth is mad that his people were genocided, being a clone and all.

Why does Jenova look so ugly though? An eyeball on her tit? Trying to remember, how did they clone Sephiroth to look like the original Cetra Sephiroth if they (being Rufus, Hojo, cloud, red xIII, tifa scene in northern crater finding Cetra Sephiroth) hadn't discovered the real Sephiroth yet at northern crater/Reunion area? Also I did not know Cloud actually killed Sephiroth in the Mako Reactor scene.

First off, Jenova is not a Cetra.

What? Then what connection is there to Jenova and the Cetra? "Jenova was found in geological strata 2000 years ago" so its some insane other-worldly genetic monster? Now I'm starting to remember something.. was Aeris somehow a descendant to the Cetra? White materia; Cetra. Black materia; Jenova. I guess that makes sense, diametrically opposed.
It is an interesting story that tried implementing recent things like potentially cloning ancient dna. So back to more questions, how did the Cetra cease to exist, likewise Jenova's monsters?

Ahould I play FF7 again? I had a lot of fun with it but based on this discussion I've clearly missed a lot, I don't know how you guys know so much about zach and I also missed out on recruiting vincent, need to fix that.

Professor Gast thought Jenova was a Cetra, but the ghosts in the Temple of the Ancients tell Aerith that isn't the case.

The vast majority of the Cetra died out fighting Jenova.

That's not true, and due to you misreading a line. Sephiroth says they used to migrated across the Planet, not to another planet.

FF7 has 3 spinoff games as well as a movie to help fill in lore
Advent Children (movie)
Before Crisis (fucking cell phones and they killed the DS port)
Crisis Core (PSP)
Dirge of Cerberus (PS2)

Both the White and Black Materia are Cetra objects. The Black Materia has no connection to Jenova except that she wants it.

considering just how many people misread that line, myself include, it's a strong sign that at the very least FF7 needs a retranslation

The scientists who uncovered Jenova thought she was a Cetra.
Basically yes. Jenova is an insane, virus spreading space monster that mimics a planets inhabitants to get close enough to them to infect them and transform them into monsters or kill them. That mimicry is why they thought she was a Cetra. It's also why you see Sephiroth several times before his "revival". The Sephiroths you see before then are just parts of Jenova controlled by Sephiroth
Yes, she was half breed daughter of the last Cetra.

Thanks for the answers. This really gives me a better understanding of the world's story, can't thank you enough.

jenova is really "the thing" from the movie the thing. I really like the story in FF7 but there's no denying a lot of the details are muddied. Still - all the information is there, enclosed in the game itself.

Have you played it recently?

have you ever one you like was stab? then you was edge as well

Jenova, like Lavos is a fragment of DEUS, ejected into space after the end of Xenogears.

No its been probably a decade since I've played it. Back in the day I'd try to beat it every summer though.

I think if you were to replay it and without any baggage of recent memory you'll have the feeling of going into it almost blind, so at least much of the story and its events will feel very fresh to you. You may not even remember why Aeris left the party after the temple of ancients - it wasn't some divine intervention or anything, it's because cloud was taken over by sephiroth, gave him the black materia, and as a reaction started beating the shit out of Aeris because he couldn't handle losing control like that - little things like that stand out, as well as one of my favorite lines from Cid "shut up and drink your goddamn tea". It's really a game that'll make you experience a wide range of emotions, it's just great in that regard.

Unfortunately a lot of the pretense around it has given it a following of negative goons shitting on it at any opportunity, but it's really a wonderful game. I think you should replay it, if only for the sense of surprise and it still being a pretty solid game. It's just very refreshing to go into it pretty much blind.

So why is everyone using Cloud's shitty AC hairstyle in everything now? Even the remake retconned his old hairstyle.

I always thought it was an attempt to rationalize his frankly crazy looking hair from the original

It's gonna retcon his persona too.

why does his new face make him look like he should be wearing adidas and squatting?

Who is her father?

Professor Gast.

Square's done everything in its power to pretend Cloud is pretty much Vincent after making him pretty much Vincent for the first Kingdom Hearts.

How can you not know this; there's a whole cutscene that explains it.

What's the difference?

it's optional though and so is the one that shows zack and cloud getting experimented on.

To be fair, Gast's home videos are optional.
You can easily miss it if you don't dick around and explore everything, like with the Zack cutscenes.

The Cloud presented in FF7 has a completely different persona (both before and after getting his sanity back) from the public perception of his character created by the movies and spinoff's that gave him Vincent's personality, presumably due to emo crap being more marketable at the time.

B E L T S
E
L
T
S

one is for his shirt one is for his pants, and one is for his underwear (can't see it though)

You know what? I'll try it again then on emulator, should be comfy. I did coincidentally beat ff9 for the first time finally back in January of this year!

I think you'll really enjoy yourself! Have fun.

I always imagine Cloud being like Jotaro Kujo. A guy trying so hard to be cool, but he's a dork..a loveable dork but a dork none the less.

Not quite, Cloud is definitely more conflicted with his identity, desperate to be someone he isn't.

Seven was never good

the gameplay is atrociously slow
the lego meme graphics have a charm but theyre abysmal
how can you go from six's fast paced ATB system to the slow (and also slow and gameplay-interrupting casts) that seven is?
The only interesting thing was the world, OST and story.

If you ask me, 7 is great, 8 is fucking ass (seriously, Draw and Junctioning is tedious. The summons are good though), 9 is fucking amazing (and a nice throw back to classic FF.) 10 is meh (some characters I like, most characters are shit, love that you can see the turn order). 12…could've been good if they have Balthier and Ashe as the protagonist rather than Vaan. (However, I like the Gambits and Licenses.)

Though he does rock that Zack personality quite well..especially the shrugs. Here's hoping they didn't remove Cloud shrugging.

It's simple for me, they start being awful once they introduce voice acting (Aside from 12, sorta).

some of the earlier ones like 6 are pretty weak.

You are going to get a lot of flak for saying that. I've been halfway through 6 for a year, it was a great story, music, decently fun fighting mechanics. Aaaand FF7 is ready to play w e w.

The big thematic point of 7 is that it's a cast of complete losers trying to justify their failures with the exception of Aeris.

Cloud was the town idiot who wanted to impress his crush but failed miserably(until you find out he didn't).

Barret wants to be a freedom fighter but even he knows he's a terrorist trying to justify his actions, he gets the comrades he recruited and groomed killed and is a bad father to boot. He sees a chance at redemption with the quest to kill Sephiroth but how much of it is to assuage his own selfish guilt.

Tifa was the most popular and talented girl in her hometown, a musician and an aspiring martial artist whom everyone had great expectations for, only she ended up becoming the main attraction at a sleazy bar in the slums hiding terrorists and wearing skimpy clothes for tips. (One of her conflicting reasons for not helping Cloud is because she thinks he is deliberately faking his persona (the flashback to the station she thinks he's just drunk) and that has finally found someone more pathetic than her. Over time she realizes the actually has a serious problem and see's a way out of being a failure by "staying by him", though that's really just more self justification).

Cid was going to be the first man in space, it was his entire life's work and it failed due to one woman wanting it to succeed and Cid's own conscience. Now he's a wife beater without a wife Honestly story wise he really doesn't need to join the party but his personal plot follows the same basic theme of redemption when th

Yuffie is from a nation that got defeated in war and suffers from national embarrassment and is reduced to petty theft.

Vincent literally got cuckolded by Hojo.

Honestly I've forgotten ninety percent of this shit and I stopped caring half way through writing the third paragraph. There's basically a few story breakpoints (Leaving Midgar, Aeris dying(she was the only one not pretending to be good or some shit), Cloud going to cuckoo land) where in the cast start pretending they're being good people while continuing to propping up their own selfishness and failures with shoddy excuses and justification, a part where they accept their failures and a point where they try to do what little good they can to help save the world for all it's worth.

Red is sort of the odd one out or something, also there's something specific about Aeris and some other stuff. I don't know it's 2am and I don't remeber.

I'm well aware of the pedigree 6 has, but I think it's largely undeserved. None of the characters get fleshed out except at the most basic level, the antagonist is an absolute joke and the combat is always dump your best attacks and win. It has some cool scenarios but the story is largely all over the place.

In all the memes of Final Fantasy 7 being an overrated game, a worse game took its place as the entry level king of the franchise. To me, 6 is one of the weakest in the series. I am not all too invested in final fantasy, other RPGs of the time interest me much more. I feel from a less invested perspective I can say that 7 is the better of the two. It's definitely one of the most entertaining games in the series.

these sort of human qualities to the characters make them really interesting. There's a lot of little story beats that you might find really resonate, as far as Red XIII, let me give you a reminder.

There's a reason why so many consider cosmo canyon one of the best parts of the game. I think you might want to replay it, if only for that reminder to be enough to push you through to finish it. I don't think FF7 is the best in its genre (that's obviously panzer dragoon saga) but to say it doesn't achieve tremendous things is absolutely underselling it.

And yet none of this complexity is allowed to carry over to the fucking movies, sequel and prequel games or even KH. Tifa just becomes love interest girl.

the movies were always fanservicey, weren't they? The game is self contained.

What is SOLDIER even an abbreviation of?

I have Panzer Dragoon on sega saturn, could never get past the first few levels years ago. I do love the OST's and have heard about Saga being pretty well. I guess I need to whip out that Saturn emulator, what is it called again?

Nothing.

Hell, the movie kinda ruined everyone. Reno used to be cool…now he's a joke.

Nothing. It's just in all-caps to sound cool.

It's like HAMMER. It means nothing but it does sound cool.

So you can half-sword it without fucking up your hands

I had a 3-legged Italian Greyhound named Reno. He got old and became riddled with doggy cancer. Even though he was fine and happy most of the time, sometimes he would just randomly start howling/yelping in pain, so we had to put him to sleep.

Thanks for sharing?

I've never played the JP version, but I have a sneaking suspicion it's that thing most translators used to have where they thought anything written in katakana meant it was written in CAPS LOCK IS CRUISE CONTROL FOR COOL. That's why the names of characters were written in all caps back in the day. Translators were (and remain to this day) so bad at the language that they didn't know katakana is also used to write things like animal names, any foreign words, foreign names, ect, and wasn't the JP equivalent of all caps.

Reno was never 100% serious, either. There was an entire scene where Cloud and company listen in on Reno and Rude discussing girls they like and give them shit for it.

Jesus, that scene made me teae up like a bitch.

*tear

You and me both.

Yeah, but that's what made him cool. Like when he's on the clock, he is this cool guy but off the clock, he's your best drinking buddy.

Everyone hypes up Aerith's death scene so much, I had no idea that one was coming. I had to quit playing and just sit and cry when I got to that point

Try the embed

You guys posted the wrong song.

panzer dragoon and zwei are only about 30-45 minutes each, I really recommend beating both of them, zwei especially ties in extremely closely to saga. You visit areas from both games and become closer acquainted with the fauna from each of them too. Mednafen is a good emulator, although I'm playing on original hardware on my professional CRT so I don't know how it stacks up, but I assume it works alright.

All 3 games are remarkable, and I think after you finish the first one (do it in one sitting!), 2, saga, and orta will resonate with you all the more. The story in Zwei is also something incredible.

I wanted to remind that user what makes Red XIII so special, but reminded three others instead. Even then, I hope this game still has a place in all of your hearts because it absolutely is something great. If you happen to forget why, I still urge you all to revisit it. There's a lot to love there.

I really hate this "edgy" meme and wish it would go away.

Not going to lie, Seto is the most emotional I've ever been because of a video game. That whole fucking sequence is one big punch in the guts. And the crystal tear that falls from his eye when his son howls after him…
Fucking hell man…

Alright can we get a definitive answer on the best way to play FF7? This thread has sufficiently hyped me and I never played it.

If you have a working PS1, use that. If not, get an emulator and a rom. Or, if you have a PSP, use that.

PC version with mods if you can manage it (changing the music to the PS1 soundtrack is crucial and there are graphical mods that make the characters not look like papercraft dolls) but it does take some dicking around.
Failing that, emulate the PS1 original on PC or buy it on the digital store for a Sony system

I'm trying to run the disc 1 rom on epsxe, but its saying "error loading [plugins\cpka.dll]". I haven't touched the emulator in a year after beating FF9… I am madly confused. I got the new version of epsxe, and made sure the bios/plugins are defaults, something isn't right.

Also I'm using emuparadise's version, which is a zip, unzipping with 7-zip gives me a .bin and a .cue file. This is so stupid.

Literally just dump the bin and cue in a rom folder, and select one of those when running ISO in ePSXe. You don't even have to pick a specific one except in rare cases.

Ps1 original on ps2/ps3/ps1/good emulator.

You never need to grind so just be smart about your battle strategies and don't abuse fast forward if you are emulating.

Try checking your graphics settings and making sure they're set to 32-bit color. I recently downloaded ePSXe and couldn't get anything to work until I changed it (defaults to 16 bit).

And by "your" I mean the plugin's settings, not your card.

in epsxe, be sure you're loading the cue rather than the bin

Wait since when does that matter outside of games that use CDDA?

Cloud applied, failed, became a regular grunt, got caught up in the Niebelheim incident, and was then experimented on along with Zack by Hojo for time after that until they broke out & escaped.

Cloud's SOLDIER-esque skills are a direct result of those experiments.

Its set to 32 bit, and I tried "run iso" both on .cue and .bin, unfortunately still having missing cpk.dll error. Got the rom from another place which is still a .bin .cue thing, still failing!

Because Jenova takes control of him because of his jenova cells nippleblaster

I've literally never heard of cpk.dll. What graphics plugin are you using?

Nigger you're missing a DLL.

No matter what you do you're gonna get that error until you get it fixed in the EMULATOR.

Go into config and disable netplay btw, first result on google.

12's voice acting was pretty awesome.

You are right, I think that fixed it, thanks. Didn't know I had netplay on, it was a blank selector, had to click disable. I need to adjust more settings as all games still crash, but this is getting somewhere. I gotta mess around with the configs.

So was the wrestling scene a Berserk parody?

The fucked up Sephiroth clones weren't SOLDIERs. They're the surviving citizens of Niebelheim who were rounded up after the incident there, injected with Jenova cells, and exposed to massive amounts of Mako to try and make more Sephiroths. In other words, the functional SOLDIERs are not Sephiroth clones, they're from the same program that made him, whereas the clones are just everyone who was near the Mako reactor at the time of that incident. Zack is the only one who received both treatments, which is likely the reason he was lucid and Cloud was not when they broke out. Also, Cloud was the only one who showed a positive reaction to the new set of experiments. Hojo is pretty much just being an asshole to Cloud when he implies that Cloud didn't get a number because he wasn't good enough - Cloud and Zack were held in those tubes because they were the only ones who had reactions worth following up on, and the numbered ones were everyone else, who just became violently ill.

I spent 3 hours trying to make some OC but the videos refused to splice together and I couldn't even upload each webm but the webms fucking refused to upload. Jesus fucking christ what the fuck

OC of what?

Guts is only edgy for about seven chapters though.
Overall he's a pretty cool and upbeat dude, not mopey and effeminate like cloud at all

It was going to be a comparison of emotional moments in [current year] to FF7

Cloud isn't either of those things in FF7.

Next post one of Joseph Joestar in drag for the same reason.

Your country must have very unappealing women

It's a joke, user. I'm not even pretending to be retarded here, that's all it was.

Here's an important question about Final Fantasy.
Why was Dirge of Cerberus literally the worst TPS ever made and how the fuck did the series survive that game

I had fun playing it. But that was also along time ago.

For Balthier maybe…and that one minigame where you have Vaan run around yelling "I'm Captain Basch!"

Dude…

I kinda saw Jenova like some Lovecratian horror what with her arrival marking the end of the Ancients and all. Never thought of it that way.

I always figured she was an alien colonization/terraforming tool

By having the main character literally be an optional side character from the main game?

space monster works for me. I imagine earth in ff7 wasn't the first time she's done it.

And there's a good idea right there. Shame they never do that.

Cuckchan they have "i hate FF7" threads there everyday

do they really? FF7's base game has pretty much fallen into obscurity. I remember rage/cringe threads from like 2007 and 2008 having guys who obsessed over it and had actual tattoos of like sephiroth and shit, but outside of that I can't even say ff7 fans are that bad because they don't seem to fucking exist any more.

No. Checked their catalog and no such thing. Content's more or less the same as 8/v/'s I miss Holla Forums that's not a glorified /vg/

I don't really care for the front page, cataloging is much more convenient, but I don't think there is ever a need to create recurring threads. If there's a topic you want to discuss by the time it dies naturally you've probably exhausted your discussion on it. For that reason, I see generals as exactly what they are, discussion themed around a single topic. They are forced to keep a clique of people together. Creating a theme around the discussion does not necessitate the discussion to be around that topic. Whereas if I make a thread about "why does console X not do Y" or "whats your thoughts on Z game here?" The discussion will 90% be on point.

I think the moment your thread devolves into first post jokes is when it's time to retire the subject. There's a few recurring threads I like to make (xbox, saturn, CRTs) but I have no interest in keeping the discussion unending, and these threads always die natural deaths. Rather, I revisit them every few weeks when people actually have something new to talk about.

Get out you San francentric hipster retard.

see

From my experience, and because I pirated it (I've already played it multiple times on console and even bought it on PS3), I downloaded some obscure torrent of FF7 "Ultimate Edition", which I assume it's just an illegitimate 1998 PC version with a bunch of extras on the side, then downloaded The Reunion mod pack (includes a bunch of optional mods, and perhaps more importantly, a complete retranslation which you can also customize).
Make sure you also download this
community.pcgamingwiki.com/files/file/599-truemotion-2-codec/
and this
forums.qhimm.com/index.php?topic=8306.0

I did run into a few issues like poor framerate during battles even after installing the 60fps Limiter from Reunion, but wasn't sure if that was temporary. In any case, that's my best suggestion if you're going to pirate it.

Blame Mark and his insistence on generals, the logic behind which is "no more than one thread of any given subject" which blatantly ignores 8/v/ is not fast enough to warrant such a rule and the main reason it was devised in the first place was for the plethora of threads that usually pop up for any one topic ie when a Pokemon game's released. Ideally this would be a stipulation for any one topic that garners too much interest in too short a timespan (so only Pokemon would fall under the "check for a thread" rule during high-activity Pokemon days) but this isn't a perfect world and admittedly the create-a-board system can make such a ruling difficult when you can't funnel any activity of that nature to a different board. I do however hold that there's absolutely no reason 8/v/ should abide by a /vg/-lite set of rules besides that it's Mark's vision for the board.

musashi was a hack

That torrent is a classic. I always used that one to play it on the PC. Now with all the mods you have today you can make it even better.

Oh yeah, and Kojiro's long ass sword isn't fucking cheating or anything.

2006 called, they want their meme back.

because its old and falling apart
like his soul

Okay, and where can i find this ff7 ultimate edition torrent, every torrent site i used to use is dead now?

It's more of a sense of "I'm holding my power back! If I do a unravelling of the bandages around my sword it seems like my power level has unleashed!" since you're dulling your blade with bandages, its like attacking someone with the scabbard in place.

You suck at half-swording if it fucks up your hands.

I use to have my battle station on the right side of the TV while my bed was what bros sat on and against the wall with a pillow behind their back.
If they ever wanted me to play music for them I would and I'd just be on Holla Forums.

Pretty simple times. I miss them.

git smart

Spambot is back.

you can set the ATB to Active instead of Wait or Recommended in the Config menu.

the battles are as slow as JRPG battles could be, I guess? later FF installments and hell, even Pokemon these days, take longer.

st. Finished it for you

This is the only one I found:
9D6DF35174D2B0C72A8A9ECBDC3BA5C51C577679

Nothing wrong with that

lol

What game is this guy from?
I keep seeing him on Holla Forums.

bui here

please erp with me as klonoa with stinky paws and i'll stop :3

my discord is Bui#3468
steam steamcommunity.com/id/furrets
you must have a cute klonoa avatar or i won't add you~

no its not, stop lying on the internet

bui here

my discord is Bui#3468

It's shit. Important information is hidden behind a shitty UI and derpy camera choices.

Then add on that it's a dice rolling simulator and you've got a really awful game.

bui here

my discord is Bui#3468

boring

bui here

my discord is Bui#3468

wasn't worth ten years of waiting

bui here

my discord is Bui#3468

Filtered

bui here

my discord is Bui#3468

This is why I pay for sub fee in MMOs. F2P MMOs always have server issues and no DDOS protection on their login servers.

bui here

my discord is Bui#3468

Thanks bae

shit thread