GPU

I think my 5-6 year old GTX 570 got killed earlier. I've been planning on switching to AMD because of all of the bullshit that nVidia has been pulling.
What is the recommended AMD card to get these days?

Other urls found in this thread:

gpuboss.com/gpus/Radeon-RX-460-vs-GeForce-GTX-750-Ti
youtube.com/watch?v=HUqBW-kq1_0
community.amd.com/community/amd-corporate/blog/2016/12/05/diversity-fuels-innovation-becoming-a-best-place-to-work-for-lgbt-equality
archive.is/j7xSZ
newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814202223&cm_re=rx_480-_-14-202-223-_-Product
newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150773&cm_re=rx_480-_-14-150-773-_-Product
hardwarecanucks.com/forum/hardware-canucks-reviews/73945-gtx-1060-vs-rx-480-updated-review-23.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

GTX 1080

You could either get a RX 480 or wait for the 490, though that won't be out until sometime early next year.

I personally wouldn't even bother with anything below that.

This.
The fireworks are really pretty.

Do not fall for the meme of AMD.

Nvidia and amd both suck. GPUs are a no win situation.

But you have options you bad goyim! What more do you need.

you know, there are open source drivers for nvidia GPUs that are basically bare bones, if bugs you that much

but bad amd drivers! how can you go with amd!

I only expect that nvidia shill to pop up any minute he will tell you in 50 posts or so!

What are you, a jew?

they will be new amd VEGA or so its called in just few weeks
but if you want to go with amd now for budget gamings its 460
and for max details etc. its 480
XFX and Saphire are the best brands

Do NOT switch to AMD. Do you even know about the bad drivers? Please educate yourself then come back, thanks.

Bad drivers? 7000 cards are pushing the Nvidia 600 series' shit in in present day, whereas Nvidia basically abandons its customers after 1, 2 years tops.

I'm hearing good things about the RX 480. Planning on getting that.

It's not a terrible way to go, but waiting for Vega might be wise. It's not far off.

Well, i'm building my budget system this month, temp going for a gtx 750 (or amd equivelant if its cheaper and better, dunno people are very autistic about graphics cards especially.)

gpuboss.com/gpus/Radeon-RX-460-vs-GeForce-GTX-750-Ti

It's fucking idiots like you that have provided Nvidia with such a marketshare and mindshare that they just don't have to try and care anymore. They are some of the most anti-consumer assholes out there. No matter what happens retards will perpetuate myths and memes and just go with Nvidia without even thinking about it or doing any research.

Best of luck. 1050ti seems like a neat little card right now, if that's the kind of budget you're talking about.

You're a neat little card.

Well if amd starts making some good drivers, maybe it can compete, hmm?

this is more like the budget im talking about youtube.com/watch?v=HUqBW-kq1_0

While that is commendable it's also a bad idea if you actually want a good vidya card. Full disclosure: The last ATI I used for vidya was pic related but the experience was so bad I can't see it ever getting better.

nice meme
their OpenGL drivers are indeed shit though, but that's not relevant to most people

ah, so you do admit it

This is probably bait, but I will mention some things:

As of choosing between the RX480 and Nvidia's 1060 consider the following:

who wants a better performance over years? what are you poor to not buy card every 2 years?

how come those memes still stick is it because of the sponsoring nvidia does for all those techsites and reddits and youtubers and streamers?

To be honest, Nvidias do literally get on fire too, still.

and yet no one really cares but the momemt amd makes smaller mistake its all over for them in minds of people
obviously talking about forums not news

Get an RX 480 8GiB or wait for Vega.

AMD drivers are much better now, even on Linux with AMDGPU.

The nvidia fanboyism is baffling, one would think after the 970 fiasco they learned their lesson, but they didn't.

when I think about it it reminds me of apple cult
this elitism for the masses
had a friend who hated apple sheeple but acted the same way about nvidia/intel

admit what?

*who makes a good 460?*

If you don't care much about emulation go ahead otherwise Nvidia is still the better choice overall (With PCSX2 the problem is even worse 2 to 10 times the performance on similarly powerful cards when compared to AMD).

AMD does have a few quirks of it's own but nothing really bad, the worst is probably having to DDU your drivers every time you install a new ones unless you like surprises (not the good kind)

Nvidia generally has better day 0 support for new games but that's not much of a plus nowadays.

AMD has much better long term support overall, HD7xxx owners still get substantial upgrades in some drivers (although the latest Crimson Relive did drop the perfoirmance in a few things for me on an HD7950)

You say that like AMD isn't capable of terrible design on their own, remember the RX480 at release?

Sapphire, ASUS if you can find it at the same prices as other cards.

PCSX2 is really shit as far as emulators go though. Just happens to be the only viable PS2 emulator. PPSSPP and Dolphin do fine with AMD.

I admire your principles for doing that. But personally I made the switch from AMD to Nvidia because of the bullshit Nvidia has been pulling.

I dont want to be the one with endless compatibility problems just because Nvidia throws money at game devs to make games work better with their cards and wors with AMD cards.

thanks. im finally gonna replace my 5770

PCSX2 is fine for me on a 290. The only game I've found so far where shit OpenGL performance mattered is AC4 because DX9 and 10 have issues with the player model in third person, so I run it in software mode and it looks kind of ugly like the PS2 game it is.

same. xfx is for some reason really good from reviews I read

This is what I am doing right now. AMD has it's problems too, like even now in 2016 you get that corrupt cursor bug with the latest 480 cards. This shit happens since ages and I have no idea why it isn't fixed yet.

Your mouse turns into a mess and you have to restart your computer or use some shitty fixer.

Shaking the cursor from one side of the screen to the other a few times fixes it, but it's still annoying.

I got a 7970 with a 7990 Bios slapped on it.

That problem doesnt happen on Linux or others distros different than windows. Could be a problem on both sides, no idea.

Nvidia has a similar problem, if you swap quickly between programs that modify the cursor you end up with a garbled cursor that can extremely rarely stick around for more than a few frames, so probably windows desktop composition being shit as usual.

What's the benefit of doing that?

Wait for Vega, it's due in q1 2017 and AMD says it trounces Nvidia by a country mile. I'd say buy a shitty but cheap GPU on eBay for 30-40 bucks to tide over the month if you must.

(You)

Didn't you know? The 7970 came with the 7990's second GPU, it's just disabled in BIOS.

Could you talk more about your experiences emulating? What's your CPU? IIRC that's more important to PS2 emulation than GPU, I know it is for Dolphin.

I'm planning on building a new machine when Zen is launched, currently running an i5 960 or something (top i5 of the first gen) with a 6790.

Emulation performance is paramount for me, as I don't care if supporting Jewvidia gets me .00001 greater FPS in the newer games they intentionally hampered for AMD users. I need to be able to play the emulated games, which is in many ways a greater hurdle. Right now PS2 emulation is very limited for me.

This

Got that bug a couple of times on my old 7970. Been wondering what's the reason of that happening. Shit becomes fine if you change the resolution on your monitor or start any fullscreen game. Can't say for sure that the bug's origin lies in the videocard.

How about you stop being a good goy and use an integrated gpu instead? Unless you actually play modern triple ayy garbage, in which case you should just fucking kill yourself.

Ive got the 480, never had anything like that happen.

I am pretty much about to get a 1060

Is there any drawback? I'd get AMD tbh but since i am a poorfag i think 1060 is the best bang for my bucks

It's the matter of your preference really. The 480 and 1060 are really close in terms of performance. And with the release of Relive AMD is pretty much on par with Nvidia software-wise.

is this some bait? if you are poor why would you buy nvidia that will fuck your performance with drivers the second they release new models

hey thanks i didn't know about this relive thing, i don't have automatic updates enabled, guess i can finally uninstall this Raptr crap

Raptr is no more thank god. Relive doesn't require any sort of login actually.

enjoy not having physx

Not him but here's my personal experience from using PCSX2 with a 7950 and a GTX 770 on both an FX8350 and a 4770k.

The FX8350 is really not what you want if 6th gen emulation is what you want (hell you're still better off with a Phenom 2), if Zen even comes close to haswell (in single thread performance) it will be good enough though and from what has been shown it's even better than that, even my 4770k is struggling in places like the R&C3 arenas but those are edge cases, getting a 6/8 core CPU might help if you're a fan of SW mode since it can take advantage of more cores and hyperthreading.

In PCSX2 DX11/9 both GPU performs about the same, sometimes the 7950 is faster because PS2 emulation is surprisingly VRAM heavy.
In PCSX2 OGL the AMD card gets shat (it gets so bad that if you don't enable a specific options you get pic related) on both in performance and bugs and considering you're not gonna see many fixes come to DX plugins that's a pretty big problem (anything depth related isn't gonna ever get fixed on DX for example)

In Dolphin (ishiiruka because mainline is crap) DX9/11 I get about the same results overall, unlike PCSX2 DX works fine for most things.
In Dolphin OGL I get 10-30% less speed from the 7950 but no additional issues.
Dolphin DX12 is shit (crash prone missing many features) but it's better on AMD (even if you shouldn't be using it at all)
Dolphin Vulkan is about the same between the two but a small advantage for the AMD card overall, it's still not as good as OGL and the driver support is pretty shit from both founders.

CEMU Doesn't seem to care much about your GPU at all as long as it's decent.
Citra is a meme and isn't GPU reliant enough for it to make a difference, I'm almost sure even an IGP can do it just fine.

Also a few other problem I had, gliden64 doesn't like my AMD card at all, RetroArch with the Vulkan cores seems to perform a bit worse on my AMD card but Nvidia has more issues overall (Vsync prevents you from fast forwarding, video output freeze if you idle too much)

Slap a 1050ti (or secondhand 960/770 whichever is cheeaper) on your rig and you're good for most games.

EVGA bringing old memes to reality. Shouldnt it shutdown the system when the sensor detects a overheat of this magnitude ?
RIP 1080

I've got a XFX RX 470 with double fan, its pretty good and never uses more than 97v and stays at at 75 Celsius max. Kinda surprised, since XFX tends to be one of the cheapest manufacturer.

ReLive appears to be more optimized than shadowplay, plus no login/registration needed.

Not when you misplace the sensor so it doesn't detect the overheating.

I know you're probably not serious, but I never bother with PhysX settings in games that have it, even in Mirror's Edge, which my card is overkill for at this point. There's a bug in the game from as recently as last year where after the tutorial mission you get a blank screen and can't progress if PhysX is enabled.

is there any amd friendly solution like limelight?
i plan to replace my card sometime 2017 but having a way to do local streaming without having a whole steam client running on my htpc is a big deal to me.

I got a PNY 1060 3gb because it was 150$ and 6pin. I'm still in the return window though, so is there a 480 that's 6pin and colder? I don't mind going a little up in price, especially with christmas money coming in, but I can't go any hotter.

Yes

Nope

Nah. Reference card has 6 pins, but it's shit. I went for MSI model with 8gigs. It requires an 8pin connector.

What are the cons of a 6pin->8pin adapter? I didn't have the money when that MSI one was on a huge sale. Are the fancier 8pin ones colder?

I have the same problem, I have a gtx 650 that's starting to limp on basic stuff like tf and can barely run modern games, I've been planning to get a new gpu for almost a year but it's always the same

It never ends

See:

You can fry your mobo with the 6pin one if you try OCing

On the contrary, since they have more power to play with they tend to dissipate more heat overall.

What kind of PSU are you using? You must have a free 8 pin somewhere. I wouldn't recommend using the 6to8 pin adapter.

480 from every vendor as far as i can tell requires an 8 pin power cable.

It actually reminds me of the modern nintendo fan but don't tell the management I said that.

with ryZen prices will drop so 8350 will be dirt cheap. why bother with Phenom

Don't buy AMD, it's shit.

Their installer refuses to even install drivers on my laptop as of last year. It's a fucking 6950M, and there isn't even a force install option for cases where the installer can't detect the card.

never had problem drivers problem with them.
what now?

You can't be any more right.

Get nothing under 4GB RAM.
Look for something with 8GB RAM.

If you really need a new one get the RX 480 or 470. They give a good performance for your shekels.

Now you two must fight

There are many kinds of retarded, but you're a special one.
You do know the difference between anecdotal evidence and statistical evidence, right? You want to see a clear tendency of a frequent and common driver issues? Take a look at the GeForce forum, where people with 7** cards have been experiencing black screen and erratic performance since Windows 10 came out.
Maybe I'm asking too much considering you were stupid enough ti buy a FUCKING "gaming" laptop, but use your brain a little, please.

u shud kys tbqh, fam

Does anyone else feel like searching for good prices for the components is more exciting than everything else? I get hype as fuck when I find a good deal.

Why not buy Nvidia, goy? Jen needs more funds for his new leather jacket. Don't forget to buy Razor™ brand gaming perishables to match! Your internet friends will just be green with envy!

It was a delicious day. Jen-Hsun Huang, CEO of NVIDIA, was sitting at his desk, preparing to delve into the tray of delicious pork shoulders to his side.

There was a knock at the door. "WELL HEY NOW, HOLY COW!" cried Jen-Hsun. "Didn't I tell you not to knock while I'm eating?"

"Sorry, sir." Ricky, Jen's secretary, stood at attention in the doorway. "There are a couple issues we need you to take care of…"

"Can it wait? I wanna play some Farmville after lunch," Jen said.

"I'm afraid it can't. Your stock broker called. Are you sure that…"

"Yes, another 1.7 million shares," said Jen between mouthfulls of pork shoulder.

"But sir, you must know that, as the CEO, the price of NVIDIA stock is only going up. Shouldn't you be buying?"

'Not for long,' Jen thought to himself. "Yes, I'm sure. I need the money so I can, uh, make some… charitable investments."

"Great thinking, sir!" Said Ricky, a hesitant half-smile finding its way to his lips.

Jen looked up from his pork shoulder, chewing the grease like a cud. "Yes, Ricky? Is there something else?"

"One more thing… there's a gentleman outside who seems quite eager to meet you."

"Who is it? Another ATi goon? I swear…" grumbled Jen.

"No! It's me, Jen - your most loyal fan!" squealed a tiny, round and thoroughly adrogynous figure. 'Probably male', Jen thought, upon noticing the androgyne attempting to hide an erection. His suspicion had been confirmed

"Good to meet you, Mr…" Jen began, studiously keeping his eyes on the child's face.

"IN Elite, sir!" the fat urchin said, his tone of voice rivaling that of a prepubescent girl, save for the purity.

"No, what's your real name?" asked Jen.

"My…real name?" said IN Elite.

Jen's secretary leaned in and whispered, "He's a fanboy, sir. He doesn't remember anything since he bought his 9600GSO, which he still uses. He lives in his mother's basement and posts propaganda about NVIDIA on internet boards - 16 hours a day." Ricky felt queasy that he had to explain this to Jen every time the CEO encountered another basement rat.

Jen shook his head. Yes, they enabled him to have the income for his delicious pork shoulders, but he never liked meeting the mindless fanboys that bought his products. They were pathetic.

Jen forced a smile. "So…'IN Elite'…what if I told you that we would be willing to offer you a position here at NVIDIA?"

IN Elite's eyes widened so far and fast that they seemed as though they would fall from their sockets. His fat rolls tensed, and a steadilly visible stain formed on the crotch of his jeans. And just as quickly as the erection formed, it disappeared. Jen tried not to dwell on the meaning.

"I-I-I'd love to, sir!" exclaimed IN Elite, tears welling in his pig-like eyes.

"Great. You can start tomorrow in the 8800GTX renaming department."

"Oh no, sir. I take my work seriously. I'll start today." Jen sighed. At least the kid was willing.

IN Elite wrenched a laptop from the nearest NVIDIA employee and within seconds had opened several browser tabs and was beginning to spam propaganda across multiple websites. "I'll show those ATi shits who's boss now!"

And just as quickly as he came, IN Elite left. Jen looked longingly at the second half of his delicious pork shoulders. He approached the desk to get them when he was interrupted - yet again.

"Sir, we've had a breakthrough!" Jen's secretery screamed, bursting through the door, trailed by the engineers.

"You've figured out how to stop the whirring noises?"

"We're working on that…but in the meantime, we've not only released the 196.75 drivers to burn up earlier NVIDIA cards, but we've figured out how to get the users to blame themselves! By kissing the ass of every PC game developer, they'll have no choice but to buy Fermi!"

"That's great!" said Jen.

"But that's not all. Fermi lives!" yelled an engineer.

A smile crept up Jen's face. Slowly at first, before expanding wider, until it became an almost sickening leer. Delicious pork grease dribbled from the corners of the CEO's mouth. "My… my Fermi is… alive?"

"Yes! And it's here right now!" the engineer continued.

After countless months of promises and delays, Fermi was (subject to delay) finally ready. Jen's heart skipped a beat. He had waited for this opportunity for what felt like an eternity. It seemed unreal that the moment had finally come.

The lead engineer nodded to three other men in the room, who quickly wheeled in what at first appeared to be a Japanese solid capacitor, held together by woodscrews. They lifted the tarp from off of it, and smoke rose up and around, filling the room - as if a Rosewill PSU had failed. Muffled moans and groans could be heard, and Jen's heart began to beat faster and faster. Now was his moment - everything he had been planning for.

A soft cough was heard in the otherwise silent room.

As arms dripping with sweat gripped and the sides of his container, out came Fermi. He looked up at Jen with wide, tearful eyes.

Jen-Hsun felt as though the room temperature had skyrocketed. It may have been love at first sight, or it may have been the heat outputted by Fermi's nuclear reactor.

Fermi looked around the room at Jen's office. The delicious pork shoulders on his desk, the mollusk head on the bookcase, a disk with a skull and crossbones that said "196.75 - DO NOT USE INTERNALLY." And if this wasn't enough, Fermi then saw Farmville running. A tiny smile crept up his cheeks. It was love at first sight.

Jen continued to admire Fermi. As he looked at Fermi's smooth, fresh backplate, he risked a bite of his lip. He looked down at his pork shoulders, then back up at Fermi's backplate. He knew which one was more alluring, and which one he'd love to take a bite out of right about now.

"It's perfect," exclaimed Jen, "What a piece of eng-" He listed off, while reaching out with his hand.

"Careful, don't get too close, we haven't quite perfected the woodscrew technology just yet. It can be rather unstable. Wouldn't want one flying in your eye now, would you?"

Jen looked the engineer in the eyes. "I've waited this long, and you think I'm just going to back away now? No. NVIDIA needs this. I..need this. " He reached out for the Fermi's backplate - just to touch it. To see what it felt like. Certainly, a simple caress of such a beautifully crafted item was not to be frowned upon.

And that's when it happened. As soon as Jen's hungry touch danced over Fermi's delicious backplate, a woodscrew became dislodged, rolling out onto the floor. But Jen paid it no mind. 'All good pre-production models have a few issues with yields.' Jen thought to himself.

IN Elite watched Jen caress Fermi's backplate. He wanted to do the same, but knew he could not. He was simply in the right place at the right time - to watch magic unfold, in front of his very eyes. His erection was coming back, and stronger than ever.

IN Elite watched as the woodscrew lazily rolled his way and come to a stop against his foot. He looked around - first at the engineers, then at Jen. No one had noticed him, or even remembered that he was there. He grinned to himself, carefully bent over, and snatched it up. With no time for him to admire, he hastily stuffed it into the front left pocket of his jacket. The warmth of the screw felt good against his chest. His eyes darted back and forth, making certain that not a soul had witnessed his theft.

The engineers, who had intended to take Fermi back with them, underestimated Jen's passion for the card. Horrified by the sensuality between Jen and Fermi, they quietly left.

"So, Fermi, are you glad that you're finally going to be released soon?"

"I guess so. I'm not sure if I'm ready though," said Fermi feebly. "I consume the power of a 5970, but I can't outperform a 5870!"

Jen looked at Fermi with a smile. "Don't worry! Nobody has to know that. We have time before you launch. While we work on fixing you, we'll make some whitepapers saying you're the toughest graphics card on the block. With better framerates and tessalation than all the other supple young boys. Cream of the crop. And we'll show them some benchmarks showing them you're way hotte-err-FASTER than anything that 'meanie' ATi has."

"Oh…okay!" said Fermi, with his renewed sense of confidence. Jen grinned as his eyes lingered over Fermi's backplate once more.

"Whatever gave you those horrible, incredulous thoughts anyways, Fermi?" said Jen, suddenly concerned.

"Oh gee…well…I was just reading Semiacc-".

Jen cut Fermi off. "Charlie Demerjian is a liar and a fraud. Don't worry about him. He'll be taken care of. Now, Fermi, do you want some additional wattage?"

Fermi nodded. "I guess so. All of these cores are making me dizzy…"

"Don't worry. We'll disable some of them." Jen said, reassured Fermi.

—–

Charlie Demerjian sighed. He had always sought the truth, reporting what others were afraid to, taking risks and not giving a damn about what people thought about him. Not catering your news to the companies you report on may not be the most profitable way to run a news site, but it allowed Charlie to sleep easily at night - until recently. NVIDIA had been on the offensive, lawyering up and threatening to sue his advertisers for knowingly promoting a site that had been "printing libel." Advertisers dropped left and right. AMD stepped up their advertising, but Charlie knew that times were tough.

Charlie's computer sounded an alert - new email. Charlie opened his mailbox.

He found a message that claimed to have insider information. He opened the first of several pictures.

Charlie's grin could be viewed from space. Vindication, at last. As he looked at the backplate he laughed, knowing that he finally had the evidence against NVIDIA that he needed.

FIN ACT 1

ACT 2

The big day had finally come. Jen was arranging his tie as Fermi picked the artwork that would appear on his front.

"Does this logo make me look fat?" asked Fermi, picking the exact same design that had appeared on the past five generations of NVIDIA cards.

'Anything makes you look chubby, my little prince' thought Jen. "No, it looks great on you!"

Fermi beamed. "I can't wait to meet the world!"

Jen may have smiled at Fermi, but his heart was ravaged with anxienty. Would anyone suspect that he knew Fermi would disappoint? He had sold thousands of dollars of stock.

No, he had to stay positive. Sure, they had successfully reduced Fermi's power usage by more than half, but the card was still the most power hungry they had ever put out.. They had improved the yield, albeit at the "negligible" expense of 64 cores. And they had managed to "fix" some benchmarks that actually put Fermi ahead by an amount that justified a nine month delay.

But Jen knew that there were problems. Fermi still underperformed, and still put out plenty of heat - heat which Jen may have enjoyed under the covers, but knew his customers wouldn't appreciate. And once real benchmarks came out, would anyone actually buy Fermi?

Jen reassured himself. He had tried everything. The engineers had assured him that it wasn't possible to get lost time back, but Jen ordered the prototype anyway. The horrors at the NVIDIA labs ultimately resulted in military action - with NVIDIA being ordered by the US government to stop experimenting with the time-space continuum. The body parts appearing at random places in the past year - heads, toes, legs - they were causing mass panic.

He knew the end was nigh. It was now or never. Jen hated his job. When Jen saw the internal benchmarks for the FX series, he was ecstatic. The stock prices would plummet, and little FX would retire with Jen to a faraway land as the short sales made Jen a billionaire.

No one anticipated that customers trusted NVIDIA enough to put out a card outclassed by their competitor's midrange. And as a result, they all bought the card. FX was proud and successful, and despite his best efforts, FX left him. The stock prices rose and Jen lost millions. Everyone had a little 5200 of their own. Meanwhile, the SEC investigated him for fraud. The failed effort delayed his dream for years.

The day had finally come, though. With all the stock he had sold, he had more than enough money; the extra money he'd make between the hype of the "official release" today and the actual availability of the card on April 12th would net him hundreds of millions.

Jen smiled as he looked at proud little Fermi. His plan had almost come to fruition. He could hardly wait.

Charlie Demerjian looked at his watch as he set up his computer in the conference room. He sat nervously, waiting.

Hector Ruiz strode through the door ushering in a wave of confidence. "Nice to meet you, Mr. Demerjian." he said pleasantly.

Charlie was at a loss for words. He had been told a company representative was coming, but not the CEO of ATI. "Mr. Ruiz! It is such a pleasur-"

Hector laughed. "Please, Mr. Ruiz is my father. Call me Hector." He said with a broad smile.

"Thank you Hector. I appreciate you coming to meet me at such short notice."

"Well, Mr. Demerjian, with a story like yours, it'd be hard NOT to see you. I'm just glad you gave us the opportunity to break the news with you. I see a bright future ahead of you."

Charlie grinned. His integrity had finally paid off. Finally hitting NVIDIA where it hurt for all the shit they had given him would be sweet success indeed.

———————————————————————————————————-

Jen-Hsun walked onto the stage to greet the throng of NVIDIA fans ecstatically waiting for him. The mass was practically seething with anticipation. When Fermi finally walked out, the roar reached deafening levels.

"Hello! Thanks for coming today. I'm here to show you the latest graphics card series from NVIDIA, based on our Fermi architecture…"

As Jen-Hsun continued his speech, he could barely contain his excitement. The FX fiasco lead him to become a better liar and charmer than ever - the crowd was putty in his hands. Once the first few cards shipped out with disastrous benchmarks, the stock price would nosedive after all of the hype building up to the street date. Easier money could not be had.

Jen-Hsun was moving along and waving to his assistants to begin passing out 3D glasses when a group of men in suits came in and surrounded the entire stage.

Everyone was confused. Jen-Hsun and Fermi locked eyes and hands as the crowd began murmuring.

Charlie Demerjian walked out from the backstage with a grin - so wide and long in the making it appeared as if it somehow grotesquely modified his facial structure.

Jen's eyes narrowed. "Demerjian. Do you have any more lies to publish on your website?"

As Jen continued his rant against Demerjian, who was still beaming, the crowd joined him and booed the reporter.

Finally, Charlie broke his silence. "Hello, all!" he stated with confidence. "So, you like the products Mr. Huang has been showing to you, huh? What could a man like Jen Hsun-Huang, millionaire and successful CEO, have to hide from YOU!"

The crowd went silent. Jen's body knew that there was something wrong before his brain did. "I have nothing to hide. Mr. Demerjian is just trying to cause panic with lies and speculation."

Charlie went back to Fermi. "Nothing to hide, eh? What is THIS!", he said, tugging the wires leading to Fermi.

The crowd gasped. The men in suits remained motionless as Charlie could hardly contain his glee.

"What's wrong, Mr. Huang?" said Hector, stepping out from behind the reactor. "You didn't tell your fans about the nuclear reactor required to power your card?"

"I…this Fermi is an engin-an engineering sa-sample," stuttered Jen.

Hector laughed. "After 9 months of stringing them along, don't you think it's time that your fans- and the Nuclear Regulatory Commission - knew the truth?"

Jen's heart felt like it would beat out of his chest. "I…err…".

Tears began to stream down his face. But before even a single drop could hit the ground, Hector was there to lap them up. "Your tears are delicious, Mr. Huang…" he murmured "and to think that I will be drink them daily."

Just as quickly as Hector had ambushed him, Jen attacked. He picked up the bin of 3D glasses and threw them at Hector. Since each pair required 4 "C" batteries to yield more than 15 minutes of operation, the weight of the single object that met Hector's head was enough to knock him unconscious.

"Move, move, move!" said the men in suits, preparing to apprehend Jen.

"W-w-what's happening?!" cried Fermi.

"We have to get out of here Fermi, or we won't be able to live together!"

"But Jen, I don't understand!" screamed Fermi, abundant sparks and tears flowing from his eyes.

Jen grabbed two of the monitors from the table and threw them at the two men just feet away from him.

Suddenly, a blinding ray of light lit up the inside of the conference center, casting unusually vivid shadows. He was almost out when it reached him.

Jen and Fermi were both flung against the wall by the tessellation. Jen picked himself up to see Hector standing over him.

"Nice hit. It's too bad you won't get a second chance," said Hector.

Fermi stood up and spread his legs. Everyone in the cloud gapsed as the ambient air temperature increased by twenty degrees celsius and a brilliant glow surrounded Fermi. For a brief moment, the very texture of the floor seemed to rise.

Just as quickly as it began, Fermi was finished. The light passed and Fermi began stumbling. Jen caught him before he fell.

"I… I tried, Jen." said Fermi, faltering.

"It's okay," sobbed Jen. "You'll get him next time.".

"There won't be a next time," stated Hector confidently. "You cannot manufacture an unlicensed nuclear reactor - let alone thousands - without jail time. It's over, Jen. No matter how long you manage to evade the law, you will never be able to catch up with the 6xxx series."

Jen bit his lip. Could it really end like this?

All of the sudden, Jen heard the sound of broken glass. He turned around to see what had caused the ruckus.

It was IN Elite. He ran in, and as the guards attempted to block him, from the depths of his girlish fervor he summoned maximum speed. He screamed like a banshee as he held the bin of 3D glasses, throwing them like boomerangs at anyone unfortunate enough to be standing within 10 feet of any government agent.

"Stop him!" the radios chattered, as they ran after a still screeching IN Elite.

Jen knew an opportunity when he saw one. He slipped out of the emergency exit with Fermi and started his engine. The Tegra powered chip asked him where he wanted to go. "Pork shoulders," said Jen confidently. Mexico could wait an hour.

As Jen escaped, IN Elite was finally apprehended by the Feds.

FIN ACT 2

ACT 3

IN Elite sat in a detention room. He wasn't sure why he was there, nor did he particularly care. Jen and Fermi could be hurt, and ATI fanboys were trolling harder than ever while he waited.

Two federal agents watched him through the one way glass. A third walked in.

"Cut him loose," the newcomer said with a sigh.

"WHAT?" yelled one of the agents. "He gave Dave a welt the size of an orange on his forehead and you want to just let him go? He was with Jen the entire time!"

The newcomer sighed again. "We can't charge him with anything because there is no proof that he knew that NVIDIA had violated any laws whatsoever. All we found on his computers were thousands of premade posts that read like press releases. Not anything indicating he knew about Huang's illicit activity.

The second agent fumed. "We can still get him on assault! He hit at least 10 agents with those glasses!"

"You want to tell the court that a mentally handicapped gir - sorry - man attacked and subdued over a dozen agents throwing novelty eyewear?"

The first agent rejoined the conversation. "What about the G92 chip he had with him? He sent several agents flying like ragdolls with it!"

The senior agent scowled. "You think the court - or anyone at all for that matter - will notice any difference from regular Havoc outside of convenient tech demos? Other than the fact that the only reason we caught him is because he tried to use it on a guard in front of him and it sent a chair flying towards his head?"

Both of the oither agents frowned. "Yeah, I don't think it'd reflect well if it was revealed that he was only caught due to a shoddy physics API."

The men entered the room, removed IN Elite's handcuffs, and told him he was free to go.

IN Elite frowned. That was a waste of time he thought. All of the hours lost. Countless opportunities to defend the truth against mindless ATI drones, lost.

He knew that he had to find Jen and Fermi. He triggered the GPS chip in Jen's phone and found him to be in a motel just south of the border.

IN Elite frowned. It was going to be a long drive. But it was for the greater good.

Jen and Fermi were sitting contentedly in bed. The smell of passion was in the air as Jen reached for his cigarettes.

"Wow, Jen, I've never felt anything like THAT before." said little Fermi, giggling like any child would.

Jen smirked. "It was a unique experience indeed, Fermi."

"Sorry if I hurt you. It's just that I get worked up so easily, and whenever I do any work I get so ho-"

"It's okay, Fermi. You didn't mean to," said Jen, examining his trouser snake, which was now lobster red. "And I wouldn't have it any other way." he thought to himself in bliss.

"Oh, okay then!" said Fermi cheerfully. "I'm going to take a shower, OK?"

"Okay, my CUDA little card," said Jen, savoring the pun. Fermi chuckled in glee.

"I'm going out to get myself new clothes and you a new label so we can move on and enjoy our relationship together for the rest of our days."

"Okay!" said Fermi cheerfully as he stepped into the shower.

As Jen grabbed his keys, IN Elite's gaze continued to pierce through the window in graven shock.

"I…I… I thought what Fermi and I had was special… If I can't have him, NO ONE CAN."

The store was deserted as Jen-Hsung strolled in. He wasn't particularly on alert- it was 2AM into a Sunday tequilla morning. He didn't notice the figure shadowing him as he approached the rearmost aisles.

"Hello, Jen." said a freakishly high-pitched, yet unnervingly calm voice.

Jen spun around. He saw it was IN Elite and immediately relaxed. "Whatshisname! Thank God you're here! Fermi and I could use a butler."

IN Elite didn't smile. "You thought you could take him for yourself?"

Jen looked back and began backing up. "Look bab–guy, there's no need for anger. Please just-"

IN Elite reached for the object in the bag. He drew out what was probably the thickest Mollusk head known to mankind.

Jen-Hsun's eyes grew wide with fear. He didn't have time to react. Blow after relentless blow, IN Elite dug in with all the boundless, latent, cathartic fury he could muster.

Fermi shut the water off. After his new experience with Jen, the shower felt good. It also cooled him down enough where he could sit down on the bed again.

He heard movement in the room. "Jen, is that you?"

"Fermi…"

"Who are you? Are you a friend of Jen?"

IN Elite smiled. "It's okay, Fermi. Jen is gone now. We can finally be together."

Fermi stepped back. "What…What do you mean Jen is gone? What are you talking about? What have you done?" Fermi's eyes darted towards Jen's limp body, and he froze.

"No. Oh God, no!" Fermi cupped his mouth, tears beginning to stream down his cheeks. He slowly backpedaled away from IN Elite. "You… you monster!" He screamed, breaking down into heaving sobs as he fell to his knees.

Fermi reached out to his creator. His forehead never shined so intensely - every strand of his hair was beautifully tessalated. saw him in glorious DirectX11. Jen's body was crystal clear, and running at above 45FPS in Fermi's eyes.

Fermi scoffed at the beautiful sorrow of death, before his eyes reached back up to lock onto IN Elite's. But there was no comfort in IN Elite's eyes. Only longing. Only pain.

… "A monster? A MONSTER?" IN Elite ripped a CD from his bag. "I'll show you a fucking monster!" He screamed.

Fermi knew what was about to happen. He saw it in the videos. The installation. The whirring fans. And then, silence.

But there was nothing to keep him from fighting. Not with Jen gone. Fermi locked eyes with IN Elite as the installation process started, and uttered just a few words before his burning demise.

"NVIDIA DISPLAY DRIVER HAS STARTED AND STOPPED WORKING." And with that, and the 196.75 drivers installed, Fermi burst into flames. IN Elite watched, a dismal grimace plastered to his face.

"If I can't have you, Fermi - no one can!" He whispered, as he watched Fermi's charring husk ignite the carpet, and in turn, the room around him.

IN Elite walked out of the room and quietly shut the door behind him. He shuddered as he heard Fermi's fans begin to power down for the first time in the thing's tragic life. With each step away from Fermi's corpse, the weight of regret descended upon his shoulders.

As he exited the Motel's entrance, the full magnitude of his actions hit him. IN Elite had just destroyed the one thing he valued most in life. The ramifications brought him to his knees, and he gripped at his chest, a sudden pain welling inside. He knew what it was. Heartbreak. And he also knew how to fix it.

IN Elite fumbled around in the front left pocket of his jacket until he found it. The woodscrew from Fermi's backplate. He gazed down its length longingly, the pain leaking from his eyes like memory leaking from the utilization of CUDA. IN Elite inhaled sharply, and plunged the screw though his chest, directly into his heart.

"I'm sorry I was so quick to give you up, Fermi…" IN Elite said, his voice trailing off as his blood spewed onto the pavement below him. "I'm…I'm sorry that I…that I let you down. That I deserted you." IN Elite slumped to the ground, a blood heap. His eyes began to dialate, and by this point he had completely lost control of his bowels - human waste soiling his clothing.

Charlie watched as IN Elite's lifeless body polluted the city streets. He watched as the Motel burned to the ground, the Fire and Rescue Teams rushing hapless patrons out. He sighed, and rolled up the Limo's window.

"Take us away from here, driver. It's over. Nvidia's finished."

Charlie turned to his dear friend, and raised his champagne glass. "To success." He announced.

"No." said Hector, CEO of ATi. "To the future."

The two proud gentlemen toasted as the limo disappeared off into the sunset.

FIN

what a fucking autism

but AMD stocks had a nice growth someone surely made nice money on them

AMD because it would enable you to PCI passthrough

What the fuck happened to S3 Graphics?

Dead

Just like 3dfx.

You're supposed to take breaks every hour while playing games, user.

Is it worth spending extra for 8 gigs of vram?

i picked up a 1060 6gb during cyber monday and i'm pretty damn pleased with it. it's quiet, runs about ten degrees celsius cooler than my old 660, and runs everything i've thrown at it on maximum with no framerate hitches

AMD is a proud supporter of the LGBT community.

And Nvidia is a supporter of Islam

Pretty much

community.amd.com/community/amd-corporate/blog/2016/12/05/diversity-fuels-innovation-becoming-a-best-place-to-work-for-lgbt-equality

Pick you're own poison really. Both are owned by shitskins and jews.

there isnt really any tech company thats not radical left
even here in bumpfuck europe our best IT company is like that and want to enter politics to change the "backwards" thinking

By all means, go right ahead.

I got a Gigabyte RX 460 as a budget-card and it works a treat, runs everything I want it to at screen-resolution. It's great if you've only got $100 and you're not autistic about max settings on absolutely everything you can possibly get.

For me it is basically unfixable unless I restart my computer. Not even going to sleep mode fixes it.

I guess not everyone is affected by it, but many 480 users reported it happening to them.
archive.is/j7xSZ

I used to have a nVidia card and physx is definitely a nice thing. It's not a must have feature but it would be nice if we had it in every game. I tried it in UT3 back then and Borderlands 2.

RX480 is the new GTX750

I did have that bug for 2 or 3 months now.
Its gone now though

AMD sucks!

Only barely related, but I wonder if AMD's new Ryzen CPU will be worth paying attention to

No

You should go to >>>Holla Forums and out.

These are the ones I'm considering, which of these would be better?

newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814202223&cm_re=rx_480-_-14-202-223-_-Product
newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150773&cm_re=rx_480-_-14-150-773-_-Product

No one knows for sure. We'll definitely see major improvements from AMD's current old and busted architecture, but whether that's enough to make up the huge performance lead Intel has enjoyed for a decade isn't clear. From my perspective, it doesn't have to beat Intel, just get within 5-10% and be priced appropriately. I'd almost prefer that, because Intel won't discount as deeply if AMD overtakes them, they'll just wait until next cycle to catch up again.

Personal bias is toward Sapphire due to my purchase history, but it's also clocked higher and is cheaper. As an aside, it's retarded to pay an extra $15 for a 2.5-4% overclock you can trivially apply to the base model yourself on stock cooling. It's like buying "gamer" branded peripherals.

They are both great options, probably the best on the price range along with, maybe, some mid/low end 1060.
Some say Nitro is a bit louder than XFX. It shouldn't even matter, whatever you pick will do alright.
I'm waiting for the 490 because I want high-end card.

Nigger you done goofed. MSI rx480 8GB was 180 not even a month ago.

Yes it seems pretty retarded to not be able to update drivers beyond a specific point because the installer stops recognizing the card. It's obviously the few thousand people that bought laptops with AMD mobile GPUs fault. It's not software related at all.

They are all shit. Get an old one used since new games all suck anyways.

GTX 1080 Ti

get an 8670m

i forgot i had the :^) flag let me turn it off

AMD is honestly pretty shit user. Their top end card can barely compete with nvidia's budget card.

Seriously, the 1060 is an honest to god great value to performance card. It's nearly a 980 for $250 which is a fucking stupid deal for that much power.

290 reporting, have had mine since a couple months after they got third party cards for them, havent had any issues yet and it can still pull 60fps on almost everything i throw it at 1440p

I'm using a i5 4670k @ 4.2Ghz and haven't found a game yet that runs at less than 60fps due to the CPU.

You should check if your motherboard is compatible with the x5660 family of Xeons, that's a cheap and good upgrade for a lot of x58 motherboards. Otherwise yeah Zen is looking good.

reminds me of old days on /g/ when someone wanted AMD and that moment 5 people jumped on him with

Yes.

Oh wow.

To be perfectly honest, I wish Neatherrealm was making MK 11 instead of wasting time on Injustice.

And I wish Capcom was spending the man power and budget to better fix SFV then waste time on another fighting game.

DmC2

There's not really a point. It's just mainly for exploration.

I'm not entirely sure the difference between the prefects.

Best choices are:

Xbox for graphics

or

PS2 for free roam

Other than that they're pretty much identical.

I use to have my battle station on the right side of the TV while my bed was what bros sat on and against the wall with a pillow behind their back.
If they ever wanted me to play music for them I would and I'd just be on Holla Forums.

Pretty simple times. I miss them.

This is not an expansion to AoE II that came out in 99, this an expansion to the HD edition came out in 2013, and I highly doubt 3 year olds are staying up late just to post here.

charm

But it is available in Germany just not in the countries surrounding germany.

I don't know if you are being retarded or are trying to be facetious considering it is basically the same performance as an 480

Don't get the 3gb 1060, its not actually the same card as the 6gb model and is considerably gimped. Best bet is a 470 or even an r9 380.

I finally got around to building a pc last month, got the XFX RS 480 8gb. I have had no issues with it and the latest driver update brought it up to about equal with the 1060 in dx11 games and significantly better in dx12.

Note that the XFX GTR (not rs) is known as the best 480 or nearly the best at the moment.

Worse on most Dx12/Vulkan games, somewhat better on Dx11 and definitely better on OpenGL (because AMD can't be arsed to get their shit together with OpenGL). I'd still advise getting a 480 over the 1060, but is better to be clear about this shit.
Most Dx11 games can be ran above 60FPS at 1440p on the 480 (if you tone down the AA) and definitely at 1080p under any condition. From a practical point of view, the advantage you get with the 1060 on Dx11 is pointless. The advantage on OpenGL is not so pointless, but not a lot of shit really uses OpenGL. Unfortunately, I bought Outerra and that does run on OpenGL with no intention of swapping over to Vulkan, I really hope AMD fixes that.

On a side-note: I heard AMD might be holding back the 490 until Q2 2017, that's a six month wait, something to consider if you're out to get a GPU right now. Not sure if there is an estimated date of release for the 1080TI.

now with numbers. hardwarecanucks.com/forum/hardware-canucks-reviews/73945-gtx-1060-vs-rx-480-updated-review-23.html the 1060 is marginally better(2%) than the 480 at 1080p with dx11 games and 6% worse with dx12 games. I personally loathe nvidia for its business practices like lying about the 970's vram(even though it was a competent card for its price), gameworks, the goysync fence because they don't want to support adaptative sync outside laptops and having shadowplay tied to geforce experience(which also recently added telemetry, even if it can be disabled), for those who don't consider these important then they can just look a the numbers.

also, for the tiny minority that might want to sli or crossfire their cards, the ability to do so was locked out of the 1060(and I assume also the 1050s), I don't know who might be interested in this but it doesn't hurt to point it out, I guess.

Part of the issue is that Nvidia's GLSL compiler is much more forgiving than AMD's, which is very strict and tends to completely shit the bed if your shader code isn't up to snuff. This has nothing to do with Mesa' performance on Linux and *BSD, which is improving rapidly as newer OpenGL features and extensions are added.

So basically right now it's

*Nvidia for loonix gayming without Windows VM passthrough and pcsx2 opengl
*AMD for everything else relevant

Yeah, the 1060 is a bad purchase and that price range is usually the most sane purchase if you want to game without wasting a shitload of money. On the 500 bucks range you're usually not really getting that much in return when you look at the price-performance ratio.

I'm not tech savvy enough to fully understand this, but are you saying that the issue with the performance AMD gets on OpenGL games/programs is due to poor coding rather than bad drivers?
I really don't think the guys behind outerra are bad coders, yet Outerra performance is shit, even with the FuryX.

That's my understanding, at least on the reasonable price-range. High end stuff, 1080 is the current king. Not sure how the Pro Duo does for gaming, but that thing is crazy expensive.

I said it's part of the issue, not the main one. Again, the latest open source Mesa drivers are beating AMDGPU-PRO in a lot of games so developers mainly testing their OpenGL rendering pipelines on Nvidia's more lax drivers aren't the only ones to blame for the sad state of OpenGL on AMD cards.

Reggie was talking about how they aren't looking to compete with the other platforms on hardware, all the way back at fucking E3.

Processing and rendering power is not the point of this console.

They've been saying that for a fucking decade.

You're talking to a bot, my friend. You're free to do so, but do know that is… well, as pointless as arguing with anyone else…

Oh great, I replied to spam.

To be honest for a long time I remember these threads about how amd is horrible and can't run anything a year or two ago and the entire thread was filled with enough people shitting on amd to shut anyone down it was extremely suspicious.

But to me I would rather take my buisness to a company that isn't full merchant since intel laid off all those people to make up the money they spent donating to that feminist thing and and pay people off all the time.

As long as I get 60 fps in new games and the company isby being dumb I'd be alright with whatever though to be honest.

Five star post, user. Thank you very much.

Were it not because I also want to play a couple of newer titles, mainly the new WH40k game, I would definitely consider just upgrading my current build with a new card and calling it a day.

Maybe I should just buy a good card first and see if that fixes my problems? Could save a pretty penny if it fixes most of it.