WRPGs that tried to be like JRPGs

I always found western-made Japanese-styled RPGs really interesting. Are they still being made, or did they die out in the early 2000s?

Other urls found in this thread:

archive.is/ttEUN
boards.fireden.net/v/search/text/I've had enough of that. Give me my money back, Steam/type/op/
youtube.com/watch?v=6_80O22OJRs
steamcommunity.com/id/furrets
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Well, JRPGs are a poor knockoff of Ultima and Wizardry to begin with, so don't you really just mean old style WRPGs?

U wot m8

PS:T at tried to be a book, at best.

Sudeki, but I couldn't tell you if it was actually Western-made.

Structurally it was almost exactly like a SNES-era JRPG, just on the Infinity Engine, which Interplay forced Black Isle to use IIRC.

Check out the Summoner games, specifically Summoner 2.

Summoner is more of a standard WRPG, but has a much better story and music.

Summoner 2 pushes hard to be like a JRPG though with the varied cast of colorful characters.

In theory I should like Summoner 2 more because it had a more interesting cast, the graphics are better and the gameplay is marginally better, but Summoner had a shockingly good story and GOAT soundtrack. And it had a really good, satisfying ending that the sequel basically goes "lolno that didn't happen" to.

none of these games have good game play like the best rpgs of their time tho. I don't know why anyone would bother with them when they can get the real deal.

I cry everytime. For real though I loved this game when I first played it but i was such a stupid kid I never got far, only fas enough to get stuck in some fucking library and then my Xbox that my dad had modded started smoking. After replacing the fan it started burning while they were watching a movie.

Planescape Torment is still nothing like a JRPG. You actually have choice and freedom in your interactions. A JRPG would NEVER give you something like pic related. They just aren't interested in how YOU develop the character, which is the fundamental difference.

It's not necessarily a bad thing. The Japanese style allows much more detailed characterization by the creators. It's just fundamentally not role playing at that point. This is a concept the Japanese simply do not understand, so they end up calling them RPGs anyway.

The better question is why the Japanese do RPGS so much better than the West.

Because they aren't made by white people

Literally all of those responses have an identical outcome.

True, but that's not the point. The point is this question gives you an opportunity to role play. The effect on the game is completely irrelevant, only that the game is asking you to fill in the blanks of your characters personality. A JRPG does not do this. They will tell you exactly what your character thinks rather than ask you.

Wasn't there a LotR one?

The Third Age!

First off, they don't make RPGs at all, with few exceptions. Japanese games would more accurately be defined as something character/adventure/strategy. Role playing is non-existent and even character progression customization (not an essential feature by any means) is usually very weak.

The upshot of this, like I said , is that it's much easier to right coherent and fleshed out characters. The writers don't have to worry about leaving blanks for the player to fill in with his or her own role playing, so they fill everything in themselves. Of course JRPG stories tend to be pretty cheesy, so maybe it's not the best method afterall.

The rest of the issue is generally just western developers being shit. Whether it's the SJWs or the execs or the scam artists behind the games, they just can't make anything good to begin with, so the bar isn't that high.Go back 15 years though and WRPGs are miles better not only than the JRPGs of the day, but all JRPGs ever made.

Stopped reading there

Was about to post this. Really, the distinction between the two is rather superficial.

Then it's not really got anything to do with the game, now does it?
And they're no less RPGs because of it.

If you mean for the player's ability to play pretend then you're right. But in the games themselves they certainly still have roleplaying.
The fuck am I reading?

The even better question is, why are you such a fucking pleb faggot?

Don't be a faggot, what he said at implication of choice as roleplay and no choice is true.

That said, shitload of JRPGs give you choices, usually one out of two with not much effect, while PS:T here gives you more and more even if the end results are limited. So I'll argue you're both right and both wrong.

You don't really have to flesh your character out yourself for it to be an RPG. You can do role-playing with a premade character, but thing is, his qualities that make him unique have to be backed by numbers or stats.

The Japanese technically DO make RPG's, they just tend to be pretty shit/boring because they often don't allow you to develop your character the way you want them. Some of them even go as far as not letting you choose a class, so literally the only reason to play the game is to grind.

I feel like JRPG's are becoming slightly more western influenced these days (See: Xenoblade, Dragon's Dogma), which is a good compromise.

PS:T uses D&D rules with autistic talking fests and stats stats stats with a clumsy inventory. It's not like a JPRG at all.

JRPG is: anime + fight mans to get ez stats + crystals

You get any more complicated you break the formula.

That's a question you should ask yourself, user.

Maybe you should try getting a job.

What he said was the prevalence choices with no effect on gameplay have impact on the game belonging to the genre of RPG. The reality is that the only choices that do matter in any kind of game's design and classification are those that are based in the game.

Ok, where?

Majestic 12

So this thread is for games that actively tried to be bad?

Dude Septerra Core was pretty nice. I never got past the jungle surface though.

Virtually every JRPG with a silent protagonist does this.

Good point, guess I fucked up.

Bump for sudeki.

If there was any RPG that's like JRPG, it's BG2

I came in to commend this post for its quality

How so?

No, it wasn't.

I want mongoloids and newfags to leave. Christ.

All these years and all they could muster are shitty knock offs of Ultima and Wizardry.

I understand why some novice plebs feeling JRPG atmosphere from Torment or Baldur's Gate and that's because solely in story-wise, not in-game mechanism.
Diverse characters, deep lores and classic storyline based on old cliches in these games gives you very Japanese-like feelings. Even the Japanese knows that.
I've seen bunch of people talking about how Torment and Baldur's Gate felt like JRPG even though it's classic WRPG in it's origin. They talked exactly same thing as you, "These games are WRPG trying to be JRPG". And I'm Korean. You know what I mean.
In game-mechanism wise, these games are totally not like Japanese made games. The dialogues, gameplay, graphic, progress, skills, choices, everything is completely different from famous JPRGs like FF, DQ, or Hero Legend. But the story gives you somewhat familiar impression, that's the point.

They're all good games though.
If you closely look at the origin and history, you will realize there's not much difference between JRPG and WRPG. Especially in these days. Hell, who knows the exact definition of WRPG and JRPG? No one knows. They both influenced by each other for the whole RPG history.
I prefer WRPG though. It feels more of "Role" playing game. JRPGs always gave me corridor-ridden "Progress" game. It's like comparing doom and railshooter.

What is an RPG?

archive.is/ttEUN

I agree with BG2 being a jrpg. The plot and characters are eerily anime-like. It even has a girl with pink hair ffs. Then you even have tsundere and yandere girls you can romance.

Keep in mind most of the changes in tone going from BG1 to BG2 were made to please the fans. Bioware's fanbase was cancerous since the beginning.

I guess people like to see PST as an jrpg because Avellone loved Final Fantasy at the time.

Pretty much this. The differences are more aesthetic than anything; traditionally JRPGs became more cutesy/stylised, while WRPGs went full hog into grit and grimdark. But even that gets switched around sometimes. And both of them have mucked around with turning turn-based games into real time, or horrible hybrids.

And both genres are pretty broad. Fire Emblem, FF Tactics and Disgaea get lumped into JRPGs, but it was a weird moment when I realised their closest Western stablemate is X-COM.

Role playing doesn't mean anything if the gameplay is retarded, that's why i don't like RPGs. And japan loves tabletop rpgs, if they wanted they could make one with the same rules, but they are not that lazy, and they know what is a video game and what is a RPG.

Planescape is a Western visual novel.

I mean I love Torment for the story, characters and world building but I did everything I could to avoid the battle system.

That's a bad thing? Party banter is one of the best things about BG2, class strongholds have probably the best quest arcs in the game and the evil option is far more viable then in the first game. 90% of the zones in the first game were also mostly empty shit.

So what's wrong with jade empire, you melodramatic faggot?

The fuck are you talking about?

I guess you can make the case for VN, but JRPG is absolutely no-go.

present in bg1 too, but I was mostly talking about romances and a few concessions to fangirls (Coran easter egg).

Jade Empire was almost an accident, it was only made because wuxia got popular with crouching tiger hidden dragon, not because bio fans "demanded" it. The rest of the games are all catering to Bio fans. My point is: average biodrones like you are nothing new.

have you even played bg2?

Are you retarded?

No, they do not.
They give out different amounts of XP and certain ones give different responses

the yandere girl you're thinking of is mostly tsundere
your options are kuudere Aerie, tsundere Jaheira, and super-tsundere-turned-yandere-turned-tsundere Viconia

Aerie is a deredere, Jaheira is pretty normal, Viconia is a classic tsundere and has none of yandere. It's so easy to shit on game while knowing so little~

I know it's the holyday season and again you're too chickenshit to go with the noose special but bait this shit is never excusable.

You've got to be kidding me.

Holla Forums. Not even once.

REMOVE GONDOLA

boards.fireden.net/v/search/text/I've had enough of that. Give me my money back, Steam/type/op/
Are you a butthurt indie dev who made a shitty game everyone's refunding?

What VN? I always see screens on Holla Forums but i never got the name

Step aside, faggots:
youtube.com/watch?v=6_80O22OJRs

i remember analyzing that trailer frame by frame
i miss my mw2 bros

So can you fuck her or not

its up but its full

bui here

please erp with me as klonoa with stinky paws and i'll stop :3

my discord is Bui#3468
steam steamcommunity.com/id/furrets
you must have a cute klonoa avatar or i won't add you~

Um, alright. And I found it mediocre, but I don't reject your opinion. I can see why people would like it.

bui here

my discord is Bui#3468

Eh the bibles full of blood and gore. God even makes a guy shit his intestines out. There's also a lady that gets eaten by dogs and all they can find of her is her hands and partially eaten head.

bui here

my discord is Bui#3468

but that's all I want. I could die afterwards and be happy.

I'd be happy enough with a handjob as long as I get to cum on her body.