Street Fighter V restrospective

The year's pretty much done. Let's see how Street Fighter V is doing (brought to you by old fighting game threads with some tweaks):

Whew what a year. SFV was the year it kept giving us one fail after another. Maybe 2017 will be a better yea-who am I kidding?! Ono will still fuck this up, and get away with murder thanks to the fgc.

Other urls found in this thread:

fightersgeneration.com/screens/t7fr-dec2016-custom.htm
shoryuken.com/2014/07/07/learn-how-to-play-fighting-games-with-our-free-beginners-guide-ebook/
sonichurricane.com/?page_id=1702
reddit.com/r/Guiltygear/comments/4jjz2a/theory_of_improving_in_fighting_games/
youtube.com/playlist?list=PLo3Zl2nq6CkD-xkyyb8_xGET_JRkgVGDU
youtube.com/playlist?list=PLo3Zl2nq6CkAcfyUFzIxWfmmqooT5Gga8
youtube.com/playlist?list=PL1moMaAEL0HfIsHsRYWMy7NAqnilhh13_
twitter.com/KaneBlueriverCL/status/783079779717165057
iplaywinner.com/news/2009/5/4/arcadia-magazine-street-fighter-4-tier-list-top-japanese-arc.html
iplaywinner.com/news/2010/1/1/arcadia-magazine-top-10-arcade-games-in-japan.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

You know, I don't really know or care about fighting games or SFV, but wew this sounds like shit on shit on shit. How can anyone defend that?don't answer that

few things

-no hard wakeup

the real shit is that quickrise destroys most oki except the occasional CC sweep. so you go from 3s/alpha wakeup game of "you tech and get backed into corner, or you wake up normally and take meaty pressure to not lose spacing" and throw it away

-bad training mode

no? SFV actually has one of the best fighting game training modes I've ever seen, to bad the game sucks

who cares

I'll give SFV Season 2 another chance because all it really needs is a character balance patch and input delay removed, but if they fuck it up I'll just play 3s for another 4 years

Fuck off, Max

I fought max in sf4 before he became famous once

what a shitter

i learned more about how to play a fighting game from watching twitch streams than i ever did with SFV's joke of a tutorial

Can't save settingsā€¦ best?

mfw Akuma looks better in Tekken7 than SFV
fightersgeneration.com/screens/t7fr-dec2016-custom.htm

Think SFV is going to cause Capcom to lose more money?

We're talking about training mode not tutorial, Xrd has the best tutorial anyway.

what about saved settings? I grind things out in muscle memory, I don't really do back-to-back sessions

strong brand recognition. as long as casuals eat it up capcom is allowed to do things that would be a death sentence to any other fighting game

If one were to get into fighting games, having never played one before, where would they start? I think the gameplay in this genre looks amazing so I want give it a go.

Just start with any that you think look cool really, it's going to take a while to really get good so you should pick something you really like from the get go

Depends what you want out of it. There's 2D fighters, 3D fighters, and 2D generally gets further subdivided into anime (airdashers,) team games like Marvel vs Capcom, etc.

It also depends if you're planning on playing online or locally, what graphics you prefer, what mechanics you prefer, what speed of game you prefer, and what your threshold is for considering a game "alive" or "dead." Easiest way to find a game is to look around and find characters you think are interesting.

I don't play fighting games but man some characters in that game look like shit. It physically hurts to look at that Ken

find a cool game
then quickly find a local or a few friends
because netcode isn't going to make you good at games

Try slow paced figthing games to begin with like Street Fighter Alpha 2, Last Blade, Mortal Kombat, so that you can understand what's going on during the fights. They also happen to have huge input buffers for you to try making combos. Once you pick up the basics then sky is the limit.

Give a read to all these concepts and you will be kicking ass in no time.

That webm should be titled Arcana Heart 3

i see the cringe of Anime Music Videos can be recreated really well into videos from anime fightan

It's hard to believe that Capcom went from so much good will with SF4, after more than a decade without a new Street Fighter, to the point where the only way people still play SFV is if Capcom pays them to via tourney prizes. How they monumentally fucked this up, and continue to fuck it up on a daily fucking basis, is beyond me.

Thanks. Street Fighter 3rd strike looks pretty interesting so I guess I'll start with that. I don't think I'll be able to find any local games though because every arcade/cyber cafe here is reserved for FIFA and CoD and I don't actually have friends or family to play with. I guess I'll keep practicing a bit in singleplayer and then hit multiplayer once I'm comfortable with the basics.

Try to find locals, you'll improve a lot with actual feedback from experienced players or get talked shit on for being bad, lmao

A lot of the guys in the fgg threads use fightcade so you can probably ask there for tips and tricks if you're struggling

I can't unsee it now.

netplay is fine for a beginner imo, assuming a game has at least decent netcode and people playing it

I'd buy SFV if they didn't have the worst DRM

But that's wrong you faggot

Everything about her in 5 is garbage, outfit included

shoryuken.com/2014/07/07/learn-how-to-play-fighting-games-with-our-free-beginners-guide-ebook/

sonichurricane.com/?page_id=1702

reddit.com/r/Guiltygear/comments/4jjz2a/theory_of_improving_in_fighting_games/

youtube.com/playlist?list=PLo3Zl2nq6CkD-xkyyb8_xGET_JRkgVGDU

youtube.com/playlist?list=PLo3Zl2nq6CkAcfyUFzIxWfmmqooT5Gga8

youtube.com/playlist?list=PL1moMaAEL0HfIsHsRYWMy7NAqnilhh13_

Why do shitters always have the worst excuses

That's an interesting opinion, too bad it's objectively wrong

Season 2 will be $30, Season 1 is still $30. It is $60 for a total of 12 characters.
SSF4 which added 10 new characters was $40. On top of that it also added second ultras.

The main difference is that you didn't need vanilla SF4 to play SSF4.

SFV is a fucking blight to fighting games.

Juri is absolute shit in V. I don't care if she is your waifu.

you say it like the guy had never played SF before, but he knew what to exactly train for

Liking dyke bike Juri with bolted-on tits? Guess Seth paid for Korean Kosmetic Surgeons plenty of won before he got booted out.
SF4 design Juri is superior

also checked ibuki's model, this shit is pure gold

Akuma Matata..

Characters can be bought by fight-money grindan

that's because ikeno cared too much about making good designs and capcom took him off street fighter as a result. i get the feeling post-hiatus bengus doesn't really give a shit

Who is in charge and why haven't they been fired yet?

on one had i want to play it, on the other it doesn't have have A.B.A. and I don't like the faux 2D thing they have going with the 3D

I'd look for an arcade around here, if anyone actually played GGAC+R around here

You can say what you want about the launch and business model i.e. releasing half of a game piecemeal, the technical side of the game like the built in frame delay or the game mechanics which will come down to preference a lot of the time but they installed a fucking rootkit as part of their update. That should be enough for anyone to show how fucking incompetent these fuckers are.

If anything it's faux 3D considering only the models are 3D

Guess that sort of explains Sunflower Lion Akuma

Retrospective? SFV sucked hard and I will never come back because all my friends just went back to playing Ultra or playing Third Strike on fightcade.

Genuine piece of shit game that only gets defended by the "FGC" (Capcom fanboys) because their desperate for weed money instead of getting a real job.

Nice underage posting

Adding more to the problems list:

Sounds like playing as Dudley in usfiv.

Either way, you guys all deny this, but I remember sfv's release, in the fighting threads people talked about nothing else. And anons like me who stayed at sfiv got made fun of. Saying that by the time we buy it everybody is already on pro status and we will need ages to unlock shit.

You guys supported this game.

reminder that people are still defending SFV even after every major screwup mentioned in the OP.

because nonetheless SFV was still fresh and new so there was plenty to talk about

unless you're that guy who calls Holla Forums contrarian because they talked plenty about a thing and then realized the thing sucks and doesn't want to talk anymore while retarded fanboys create more and more threads that ends in shitposting and "why Holla Forums suddenly hates blablabla"

Ibuki looks like a inbred turk from central anatolia.

If you didn't saw sfv failing coming you are a idiot.

My retrospective on it is that it proves that the SF community and the core of the FGC haven't changed since SFIV and will forever be Capcom's bitches.

Serves you faggots right for buying early access. Also nothing will ever compare to how shit 4 was. Some of you fail to realize it took capcom 6 years to make that game playable.

I don't get Street Fighter V's art direction.
Some characters look really good and some characters look fucking hideous. Unlike SF4 where everyone looked a bit weird because the style was a blend of cartoonish and realistic, but the style stayed consistent, now in SFV we have really good designs and really ugly ones.

NO MAKOTO NO BUY

Except you can get all of the characters without paying.

So happy they didn't meet sales expectations

Ruined my mains moveset, ultra, and outfit. Fucking lazy bastards just made her do a metzu hadoken but with her feet. I'm not even going to begin to list whats wrong with the moveest.

I know it's censored and that's horrible, but if I had a choice between those two outfits I'd pick the second one.

They are both retarded, the second one needs more cleavage, it just looks retarded how that weird dress goes all the way up to her neck.

Needs to show off her ass more.

Street fighter 5 is New Generation tier fucked up
Even Ultradavid called it the worst modern release. I still think the game is enjoyable to play but a lot of the game's flaws are inexcusable
Also found pic related that seems to imply that they really are fixing some of these character's faces but who knows?

He really doesn't

How can you call Street Fighters design good?

SF5 did have one good thing

*trigger warning*

I'm still playing/enjoying the game. Looking forward to S2

the positioning of her feet triggers me the most tbh. try standing like that.

Oh fuck I never knew it was his theme

same tbh

You know, if guys like you spent as much time experimenting with what she actually has as you do bitching about what she doesn't have, you may actually find that you don't mind the moveset. Just my two cents.

Maybe people wanted a character they like to play the same but with some new tricks that mesh well instead of removing a bunch of shit. Thier anger is justified, fuck SFV with a rake.

SFV's Juri Critical Art is a bad version of her SF4 super instead of FENG SHUI ENGINE

4 had more playable characters on home release than SFV does RIGHT NOW

as said by someone that probably doesn't play the game

it takes a horrific amount of grinding just to get one character or playing the worst mode in the history of street fighter on the hardest difficulty

Remember when vanilla SF4 had you completing Abel etc to get the console exclusive characters at that time (Fei Long, Rose, Dan. Sakura)?

I'm not saying its in no way justified. The point I'm making is that there's no point in whinning that she doesn't have something without exploring what she does have. That's like being stuck on an island with a box of nails, a hammer, and an axe; then bitching that you don't have 2x4's to build your escape raft.

FSE is fine as her Vtrigger. Though I do agree her super in SFV is lack-luster, just making it FSE fixes nothing.

I haven't read the whole thread yet, but I have to say that was one hell of an OP. I don't think I've ever seen a game that thoroughly shit on before. Well done.

I want to be good at fighters, but I don't want to put in the million hours required to be half decent. Oh well.

Third strike isn't a very beginner friendly game user

SFV is so bad that it also killed IV's popularity.

The latex bodyglove is a million times better.

Don't start with games over a decade old played almost exclusively by people who have been playing since release. I thought this sort of thing would be common sense. If you must then find a veteran of the game and have them teach you. Some really awesome people on GGPO helped me learn how to play SF2 pretty well and I wouldn't have gotten there just playing pros going 100% and getting rekt every time not knowing what is going on.

No it's like having an escape raft but then Capcom sets it on fire and instead of giving you something to replace it they just rape you up the ass with DLC and input lag while Sony jerks off in the shadows covered in their own shit.

But, aren't all of the games on FightCade like that?

It's not fair

What's the deal with the Ex2+ posters?
I've seen them on the fighters general and I can't believe that sudden surge of patrician taste.

That was more of an analogy for the character in the game, not the SFV experience as a whole but whatever.

aaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Vore, Preggo, Yaoi between edgelord Akuma & Necalli
ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww

Yes, that's why you need a mentor. I guess you could also look at tutorial vids on youtube but those might be sparse for older games. I haven't used Fightcade online yet but surely it has a lobby/chatroom thing like GGPO did right? Play alone in practice mode to get a feel for the game and get your move execution down, then go in chat and ask if anyone wants to show you the ropes instead of just jumping into a random match and getting your shit pushed in.

well the one from the fighters general is me

what the fuck is going on

I'm guessing Akuma didn't agree with his system

I still think SFIII was GOAT

That OP was my post from a previous fightan thread, except this fuck just copypasted and then added a bunch of contradictory shit and nonsense to it. It's a move that's almost poetically mirroring the release of Street Fighter V

is that jim watkins?

I had a guy on twitter challenge me to a FT5 because he got so offended I was talking shit about the game. The FGC is completely cucked at this point.

BROUGHT TO YOU BY THE SAME TEAM BEHIND THE ROOTKIT

stop

Hello newfriend.

You seem to have a mistaken belief that facts which trigger you are defined as 'bait'.

I hope you correct this as soon as possible and fit into this board you newly decided to post in.

Enjoy your stay

It's -6 so it's better to just block and punish tbh

I have another one for ya that I find bullshit

This never fails to make me so fucking angry holy shit what were they thinking?

I haven't bought anything from Capcom in 4 years, but no one expected SFV to be such a big fuck up.

You don't Makoto in this game. I don't even want Garuda, Hugo, and Sodom in SFV.

You're pretty fucking retarded for being the original poster.

Why did Capcom think that releasing Street Fighter V the way it is a good idea. The game needed at least 1 to 2 more years of Dev time are capcom that desperate for money?
Also when are the best street fighter characters coming back?

Capcom and Sony wanted to push it out before EVO for maximum esport bucks
Never because street fighter isn't allowed to be fun anymore.

Sony, I hear something about them paying to Capcom to rush the game release for exclusivity or something like that. Also they can't use skullmania for some legal things? or those were the EX characters?

People were saying that SFV was rushed because of sony since its announcement

Post yfw you didn't buy SFV

reminder that the next 5 characters are completely new and have never been in a SF game before.

witnessed

The EX characters are owned by Arika, which created them.

Arika's already given Capcom two thumbs up if they want to use them.

In Japan they call Street Fighter. Duty Fighter because no-one likes it, but they grind it out for nationalistic reasons, can't let the baka gaijin ever win.

Their most popular games are some gundam fighter one, Blazblue and Guilty Gear.

Do you have a source on this? Also are any of the Blazblue games worth playing if my only real arcsys fighter experience is GGXXAC+R?

So, when is KoF 14 coming out for pc?

Holy fuck, OP, did you expect me to real ALL DAT? Shit, I had to stop once you started rambling near the middle. We get it, game is fucked up.

It's sad because, as much as I want to like her, she's just not as fun as she was in IV. And yeah, I actually like how the double bodysuit looks, but it's retarded that no body suit isn't an option or just something built into half the colors. It's not actually more revealing than other characters, and ESPN can still be like "only bodysuit colors allowed, our viewers have never seen tits!". Thankfully modders are constantly doing stuff for Juri, but they can't fix the no fun problem.

I think the worst thing I can say is that, despite its flaws, SFIV AT LAUNCH was a much better game than SFV is right now. I want to keep into it to a degree, but I have to know what the next batch of characters are to be sure I'll care about season 2.

Source?

They have their most popular players playing it, and they sure as hell are getting btfo in it.

please support your local businesses

SFV failing does bring light to all the other fighters out there. I really enjoyed Fighting Climax Ignition, Koihime Enbu, Nitroplus, and Arcana Heart 3, and a ton of Fightcade games. Favorite being Fighting Climax and Arcana Heart. I hope people will actually give all these other fighters a chance now that SFV is kusoge.

It was the same deal with SF4 as well. In SF4 there were some clips going around early on about how Daigo and many of the other top players actually hate the game. Daigo specifically was in it for the $$$.

In regards to SFV. They aren't gonna "officially" bad mouth the games they're getting paid to play. I used to be fairly involved in the FGC so I'm privy to some discussions. It's just word of mouth though so feel free to just disregard if you want.

So nothing, thought so.

i'm sure if you google enough you can find the SF4 stuff.

>one video of nuki shittalking about daigo not liking sf4
kys

here's a a modern example from not anonymous:
twitter.com/KaneBlueriverCL/status/783079779717165057

If you happen to meet them in person, i'm sure you'll get the same responses too or you can just pretend it's all a lie and continue fanboying your favourite game.

i guess World of Warcraft is the best videogame of all time.

No I'm sure the japs all bought those games so other people don't have to play it

This is sarcasm btw 71e572, thought I should point it out what with your downs and all

ok you don't know anything about fighting games.

if you wanna go by sales number as a measure of success then

SFV approx 100K Sales
MKX approx 5 mil Sales

MKX Superior game.

I don't even like MKX but there you go.

Sorry not everyone's african american and gives a shit about mvc?

What a silly missed abortion you are

2009 Rankings from Arcadia Mag

1. Tekken 6: Bloodline Rebellion
2. Mobile Suit Gundam: Gundam VS Gundam NEXT
3. BlazBlue
4. Sugoi! Arcana Heart 2: Tenkousei Akane to Nazuna -
5. Melty Blood: Actress Again
6. Guilty Gear XX Accent Core
7. Street Fighter IV - 116.5
8. Virtua Fighter 5R - 80.2
9. Street Fighter III: 3rd Strike
10. Tatsunoko VS Capcom

iplaywinner.com/news/2009/5/4/arcadia-magazine-street-fighter-4-tier-list-top-japanese-arc.html

2010 Rankings measured from Arcadia Magazine

1. Tekken 6: Bloodline Rebellion
2. Mobile Suit Gundam: Gundam VS Gundam NEXT
3. Blazblue: Continuum Shift (NEW)
4. Guilty Gear XX Accent Core
5. Melty Blood: Actress Again (NEW)
6. King of Fighters 2002 Unlimited Match (+4)
7. Virtua Fighter 5R
8. Senko no Ronde DUO (+1)
9. Street Fighter IV (-2)
iplaywinner.com/news/2010/1/1/arcadia-magazine-top-10-arcade-games-in-japan.html

Heres a list from 2012 April preferences also from Arcadia Magazine

1. Persona 4: The Ultimate in Mayonaka Arena
2. Gundam vs Gundam Extreme Vs Full Boost
3. Tekken Unlimited Tag Tournament 2
4. Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown
5. Super Street Fighter 4: Arcade Edition Ver. 2012
6. AquaPazza: AquaPlus Dream Match
7. Street Fighter III: 3rd Strike
8. Dragonball Zenkai Battle Royale
9. BlazBlue Continuum Shift II
10. Guilty Gear Accent Core XX

iplaywinner.com/news/2012/5/8/these-are-the-10-most-popular-arcade-fighting-games-in-japan.html

There used to be alot more data out there, but fansites come and go so data isn't maintained.

SF4 never sustained popularity in Japan ever. The only times SF4 would push up the popularity rankings was before or after an international event, probably them grinding out last minute.

A good top eight can make almost anything look good.

You mean, the fighting game that sold the most on consoles didn't do stellar in arcade rankings?

No fucking way.

In Japan only casuals play on consoles because the places are so crowded and if you lose, you're waiting 30mins to an hour before you can play again. All the top players were arcade only.

So SFIV was the highest selling fighting game, and that was thanks to the casuals loving it, and there were enough professional players to keep it in top 8.

Sounds like japs loved it.

ok so first you say highest selling game FTW, then when I list games that sell higher e.g. MKX you say LEL SALES MEAN NOTHING.

So which is it?

No faggot, you claimed that japs hated it, and was proven wrong by sales figures in jap land, which led to you sperging out about international MKX sales

Ok Diablo 3 great sales, but universally panned.
Just coz it had alot of sales doesn't mean people liked it.

Maybe if you went to real FGC events and made some friends instead of being an eternal online warrior you'd meet some people and find out for yourself.

But many people loved and still love Diablo 3, people line up at blizzcon
They also didn't break sale record for three expansions

Enjoy your MvC and twitter 'friends' while I go to real FGC events with real friends who aren't retarded enough to make shit up then start sperging out when proven wrong

i used to go to national and international events. I am an old man now and don't really play games anymore. I don't have a twitter account or play marvel at all though.

People who actually played at a serious competitive level know that Street Fighter for the japs is only played out of obligation or duty they simply don't like Street Fighter. I presented you with what I could, you can dismiss it as "sperging out" if you want. I'm sure you'll grow out of this aggressive fanboy phase one day.

Do you have autism?

Hahahaha

But that's not a good example because, barring the shitty initial PC port, MKX WAS a superior game at launch. It had tons of extra single and multiplayer modes and more characters (even without counting extra for any style variations).

It's very arguably a superior game now, even without the Kombat Packs.

But, whatever, I don't even know what you guys are bothering to argue about.

It's pretty much a 60$ early access game.

Yes, how dissappointing

Stopped reading there

Why do people use ENBs?
Because they look good.

i did tho
The sequel was surprisingly even better

Also, sequel to the 3DS spinoff fucking when?

SFV Juri apologists need to be gassed, they all clearly show they never learned her in 4 and are better off with the easier shitter version in 5 since it's as brain dead as they are.

Juri is really fucked in SFV in comparison to her SFIV incarnation though. It's like saying the shitty new Thief game is fine because it has a few similar mechanics from the previous games, it's not that simple.

They've been fucking up a lot of returning characters. literally everything about Juri in 5 is terrible.

The denial the Juri fans live in is pretty pathetic.

its shit its all shit jimmy

You're misinterpreting. I agree she's not as good in SFV, I'm just saying she's not nearly as bad as everyone parrots on about in SFV. Comparatively, yes, she's worse off in SFV. But she's far from shit.

No one can play a game well if they make sorry excuses. Especially when something like SFV isn't as demanding when it comes to inputs like Guilty Gear AC+R. Pros have used controllers before but a stick is good for people who often go to arcades. People have gotten decent playing with their feet or chin.