PS2 Thread

The PS2 is the best console with the best library ever released.

Original hardware, original games, CRT SDTV or CRT EDTV for games that support progressive scan.

Get a fat PS2, network adapter and an IDE hard drive. Softmod your PS2 with fmcb/fhdb and install OPL. If you have only a slim PS2 you can still use OPL with SMB shares. Another option is to load games from a burned DVD-R with ESR.

I have no personal experience with modchips but the consensus seems to be that it is a satisfactory solution with the only downside being that it puts wear on the laser.

Emulation is NOT RECOMMENDED for playing PS2 games. Many games are unplayable and many more reported as playable run full of glitches. As stated above, the best experience is achieved using original hardware.

Other urls found in this thread:

maxdiypower.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=20&products_id=103
ps2drives.x-pec.com/?p=list
forum.digitpress.com/forum/showthread.php?60811-How-Common-are-PS2-Gradius-Games
vgchartz.com/game/882/gradius-v/
shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.php?t=24357
ebay.com/p/gradius-v-sony-playstation-2-2004/11054?iid=361849261404
eurasia.nu/shop/default.php?cPath=48
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Nah.

Very neogaf style op

Fucking kill yourself.

I'm going to hijack this thread and ask about PS1 emulation on PS2, is there a way I can load PS1 games off a usb to play similar to how OPL works or do I have to use the swap trick bullshit with a real disk and burned copies

There's a version of the POPS emulator that Sony eventually used in the PSP that works with a PS2. Compatibility is not that good though.

You're way better off emulating on a computer, use PCSXR or Mednafen. ePSXe in a pinch, too.

>Ridge Racer V, as meh as it is to me for not being Type 4
There's a lot of good games for it.

Reported for underage

I have a ps2 and a humble collection of games lying around but my tv is a hd flatscreen.
Are there any recommended TVs to pick up?

I'd like to ask this as well. PS2 games just dont look good on HDTVs.

Unless your HDTV handles it like shit Then you really shouldn't bother going CRT for it unless you want to play light gun games.

Who would ever ask this?

The shitstation 2 was garbage where the best games were average. If you want a 6th gen console get a gamecube.

Jesus christ most of the posts in this thread are fucking cuckchan tier. Nevertheless, let's try to get some proper conversation going:

What games are still missing from this list?

I'm not the chartanon but I do still think something could be added here.

This console is now PC. Don't kid yourself.

Action/Adventure
Beyond Good and Evil: Better than the PC version due to better controls in some places.

FPS/Sidescroller/Shmup/Rail Shooter

Mega Man Anniversary Collection: MM 1-8 + the arcade games. Nothing significant to offer over emulation, but cheap and the PS2 game pad works very well for old platformers. Saves so you don't need passwords. Rather faithful with sprite flickering, but music will restart (replay its intro) if the same track plays for a long time.

Megaman X Collection: MMX 1-6 + Battle & Chase. Some enhancements to X3. Battle & Chase is a fun enough cart racer to spend a few evenings on.

yeah, the last good console.
so what?

I still wonder if you even want actual discussion, even after all these times you've started PS2 threads the exact same way, or just want to drive down the quality of discussion through inflammatory opening posts.

It's copypasta that OP (or copycats of the original) have been using to start PS2 threads for quite a while now. It really doesn't do much to encourage discussion quality.

I have my PS2 hooked up to a older Vizio HDTV that supports both HDMI and the old RWY cords. I don't think games (the ones I've played with it thus far, anyhow) look that bad provided you play with the TV set to 4:3 (some games also allow for directly tweaking where the screen boundaries are), but considering I don't have room for a CRT and have never played a PS2 on one myself, I can't say for sure what the exact difference is, and perhaps this ought to be taken with a grain of salt. Just my own observations.

Yo. Had a longer response about update status for the image, why it's been a year since the last, but the board refuses to let me post in regards to it. Edited it down multiple times, and it still refuses to go through.

Non-bumping posts because I had to fucking split the single post I had into three to even get these to post.

Should I get a component cable for my PS2?

yes
and you should kill yourself too

rude

It's an OP
Spacing has been a part of legible OP's forever
Would you freshfaced faggots stop jumping on board with the latest buzzword just because you want to fit in?

It makes me sad that he's balding.

what's the alternative?
component and RGB SCART are probably the best you can do. One is a tiny bit better than the other when it comes to contrast/brightness/colour, but I can't remember which it was, but both have their advantages/disadvantages.

I got a question about that.
Since IDE's are pretty pricey, I was looking around and heard rumors that you can use a 2.5inch SATA with one of those flat ide-sata adapters and it will still fit inside the network box, does anyone know if this is legit or not?

But they're not? Maybe new, but you can find used ones for cheap as shit.

Looking right now on Amazon at the make of IDE drive I got, it's only about $17 new on Amazon right now (holds 250gb too). Hardly what I'd call expensive.

You can either use a small/low profile adapter or spend a bit extra and get a drop-in replacement for the IDE board inside the network adapter itself :

maxdiypower.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=20&products_id=103

I've installed a few and they work great with 1tb drives.

at 250 they aren't bad, at 500/750 it's another world, which is what I was looking to buy.

Well the small ones i was looking at cost about the same as that link so i may just get that instead.

Aren't there still hard drives that support both SATA and IDE?

Just about any CRT that handles S-Video should be just fine, user. Check thrift stores or Craigslist.

Be careful about HDCRTs, while games look pretty good on them, and they do progressive scan, you'll find light guns do not work. If you have no intent to play such games, then feel free to snag one.

Ignore LCD shills, user, they are agents of (((Them))) who want you to settle for input lag, uneven illumination and shit scaling.

Haram.

I can't imagine so.

Good choice. I'd recommend using a 2.5 inch drive as it makes installing games much easier - you only need a cheap USB powered adapter to plug it into the PC.

If you need this explained to you, you don't fucking belong here.

Anyone played Tsugunai: Atonement? Saw a copy a few days back and it got me a bit curious, since it's a game I really haven't heard much about at all.

Ordered a component cable and a multitap from China. Cheap as fuck. We'll see about the quality, but will probably work.

You could have probably found a cheap multitap locally where you are (I think mine was $6 or so). Unless you have no stores that still stock sixth gen or older, I guess.

It actually was like seven bucks.

Also a 128mb memory card. Forgot about that. Also the closest store that does supply PS2 stuff is fugging Gamestop about 80km away.

What's wrong with Persona 4? Also, what are the must-have PS2 fighting games, Holla Forums?

spent a few months studying video and how each works.
RGB has a better color space. PS2's RCA YCbCr and YPbPr support is a little lackluster and won't be as good as RGB. The main benefit is PS2 does 480p/720p/1080i with some games, but very few - you can also get 480p with RGsB getting you the excellent RGB output of the PS2 and 480p.

To me, 1080i is not worth it, PS2 delivers weak results in the very few games that support it.

be careful with these, they have some issues - I've had one myself and it works when it wants to. I usually just use a sony 8MB one for saving/loading games I'm actively playing and a 128MB for storing saves only. Some games will not recognize anything bigger than 8MB.

Unless its an exclusive like Tekken don't bother because the loading times alone will kill any enjoyment of it.

Any of you fegs experienced with those brazilian PS2 slim HDD hardmods? How reliable are those?

Every game I've played has so far recognised the 16MB memory card that I've had for ages.

is it official?

No. It's one of those max memory ones. But it also does read slower than an official 8mb one.

You don't make a newline between regular text and green text.

I still wouldn't exactly trust unofficial makes of them, as I hear those have some sort of memory compression that makes them more prone to corrupting, or something. I stick with the official 8 MB cards, though I will say it strikes me as silly that that was the only official size for them, while the Gamecube had a variety of different sized official cards.

hit me with a good iso burning program and i'm golden, also a good external dvd burner.

if you have a fat PS2, you could always set things up to play games digitally installed to an IDE drive. Just saying.

Get a fat one if you can. Burning backups is just waiting for the inevitable laser failure.

got a fat one, buut, thing is, with IDE drives vanishing(and needing a big one because holy shit there's so much shit i want to replay, along with ps1 games) and the network adapter(what you need to set up the HD, afaik) becoming rare, i'm kind in a corner.

check ebay for cheap ide drives. I buy lots of them all the time (usually 400GB for xbox mods)

You have other solutions.
And before you ask no using a SSD won't kill it, the PS2 doesn't write anything on it unless you use VMCs or the screenshot function

As mentioned above, you can get cheap 250gb drives on Amazon, and the network adaptors are still around (and likely the only demand at this point is from people looking to mod a drive to play games digitally. That's really not expensive. You'll also need some way to connect the drive to your computer to format and install apps and games to it. You could always just store a library of the games as ISOs on your computer and load them onto the IDE drive as you feel like playing them, and just swap them out for new stuff for time to time. But yeah, larger IDE drives might not be the cheapest to find, at least unused.

Might want to do yourself a favor as well, and check this for compatibility before buying one. Not sure how up to date it is though.
ps2drives.x-pec.com/?p=list

well, looks like this thread is shit

Anybody played CoD 2: Big Red One already? Is it worth picking up in a yard sale for cheap? Does it hold its own against its PC counterpart or at least the recent CoD's?

There's still no way to save games outside memory cards, right?

Hooked up my PS2 thru component RCA to my CRT, results are pretty good.

he is right. Don't let your biases get in your way of a reasonable judgement.

haven't heard of any sort of virtual memory card, if that's what you're asking. Pretty sure you can back up saves from the memory card to your PC through ftp or place them on your hard drive with a file manager.

god damn I forgot how low resolution PS2 games are

I think that might be case. I mean, when I was initially testing my hard drive, it still noted that there was no way to save unless I had the memory cards inserted, but I could be wrong. Still, I could be wrong; maybe someone's found a way to mock memory card functionality onto the hard drive directly? Either way, 8 MB cards are still pretty cheap, so depending on how many games you plan to play and keep save files for, one or two could last you a good while, as individual save files are small. Grabbing a few games from my shelf, they range between a couple dozen and a couple hundred kilobytes per save file, though some do some odd thing of having a game data save file and a preferences save file (Tales of the Abyss, for example, has to update data for both every time you save).

That OP always uses that same fucking copypasta. I suspect to to bait the post count up easier than having it be from actual discussion.

Stop buying shit TVs. Samsung internal scalers for example are perfect. That said you're a crt shill who thinks S-video is acceptable, so you clearly don't know dick.

mostly 480i. For comparison, 480p gamecube games look gorgeous by comparison. PS2's definitely on the weaker end of visuals and video output. 240p games also look much more appealing, but the camera doesn't quite capture how the PS2 looks - I still think it's pretty nice.

samsung's are the best you can get when it comes to LCD (they even recognize 240p component rca and composite rca), but they are still less than acceptable in my eyes. Would be a shame to miss out on time crisis or some of those excellent rhythm games on the PS2. The games look far better on a CRT, and upscaling does no favors to the already pretty blurry rendering of the PS2 and its blurry output.

Never mind it seems the blurry picture is because of RCA cancer instead of the games itself

Funny, I think PS2 games look just fine, both straight to my HDTVs and also even better through my framemeister. If you have an upscaler that can enhance sharpness it will more than do the job, but I'd still argue PS2 games look better on an HDTV than a CRT any day.

I have a fairly decent LG LCD (42") and through component it only exacerbates the blurriness of the render/lower quality textures. I'm not using RGB on my PS2 yet, but it's definitely a lot better looking on my CRT. HDTV's do not work well with 480i content, and framemeisters have unfortunately gone up in price quite a bit. My BVMD14-H5U handles anything below 720p far better than my LCD, looking forward to how 720p and 1080i content is handled on my HTM once it arrives.

i have a fat launch ps2. does anyone know any good guides for doign what OP suggested?

OPL lets you create VMCs, basically the game will be fooled into thinking some folder in your HDD / SMB is a memcard and save there, compatibility is lowered and it's a pain in the ass to deal with transfers (simplest I found is only set a VMC for slot 1 then use the file transfer tool in GT3 to transfer the save back to a real memcard in slot 2), also unless you deal with a somewhat complex process you get one set of memcard per game (aka not shared).

how was the Metroid Prime Trilogy?

I've never played the Prime games but always wanted to. I might buy the Trilogy today if it plays on the Wii U and is any good.

get an ide hard drive (not western digital), get a usb to ide connector dongle and this guide in the embed is decent, but they don't tell you some things. What you need to know is:
1. Run every application you use in administrator mode. Every single one.
2. When you first plug in your HDD, you must initialize it in windows' Disk Management application.
3. If for whatever reason, you unplug the HDD from your PC to test it or to load up more games, Windows caches USB drives. USB HDDs don't handle this well when they need to be initialized. Windows won't recognize the device, so you must use a different USB port, or restart your PC.

It's bit irritating, and surprising how "unoptimized" the process is - especially compared to less popular platforms like the Xbox and Wii - but it's absolutely worth it. Compatibility isn't perfect, some games have issues when being read off the HDD (Klonoa 2 comes to mind.) But those odd games here and there you can always just use a burned DVD.

SOME HDTVs don't work well with 480i content. Again: My Samsungs handled it fine before I got my framemeister. Mind you it doesn't hurt that one of them is an older 720p set which handles the signals even better than my newer 1080p. Still nothing beats a designated upscaler. I'd say the price of a framemeister will probably drop (I got it on a winter sale from the company for around 200 burgerbux), but I also heard they are discontinuing them so maybe not.

Anyway I really wish that you people would quit acting like every LCD tv is shit for 480i/480p when an awful lot of LCD tvs were made specifically for upscaling that content. Sure if you have a brand new 1080p set with only HDMI ports then yeah: you're fucked, it's gonna handle 480 like shit, but that's not every LCD. I can understand when talking about a 240p signal, but old LCDs came out at a time when 480i was the majority signal. PS2 games were designed on these same LCDs (do you think game designers had anything but the top of the line tech in front of them when making a major title? For fuck's sake a lot of mid to late-life PS2 games have a Widescreen mode). I can understand using a CRT for every generation before PS2/GCN/Xcox but once you hit that generation it really stops making sense unless you want to play a Light-Gun game (Of which there weren't many, plus not exactly system sellers. If you really wanted light-gun glory you'd build a CRT equipped MAME machine).

Or you could get an OSSC, the image quality isn't quite as good but you're trading it for less processing delay.

*the image quality isn't quite as good on 480i content
480p isn't affected and is totally lagless.

`>>11484099
There are sega saturn games with a widescreen mode, and I insist you try 480i/p on a good CRT. Framemeisters are also no longer in production so the prices have jumped ridiculously. There are other solutions like the OSSC however.

I don't think framemeisters are a good all-in-one solution, not better or as flexible as a CRT - there is still a bit of processing too, although a good scaler minimizes this down to a frame or two.

not 100% lagless, but it is much better since the set is no longer deinterlacing. That is the point where I think it becomes negligible.

I already own a framemeister. Also line doublers are great and all but it's not an upscaler, they perform different functions and while they can deliver similar results it's not the same. As for the framemeister's processing time: It's already unnoticeable without a high speed camera, taking away .20 nanoseconds won't matter.

Confirmed for having never used a framemeister.

why? is seagate, samsung, or hitachi ok?
also, i have an extra SATA drive with a SATA to USB converter. can i use that? or does it have to be IDE.

so the general idea is that im formatting the drive in a specific way and then connecting the HDD to the PS2s usb port? arent the games kind of big to be pulled through a USB port? how are load times?

Correction: They perform the same function, an upscaler line doubles, it just also does more to the image from there. A lot more.

too expensive for me and does not produce my desired results. I think they're fine, I've found CRTs are better.

western digital thought they were being cute and ignored the standard IDE/Molex power standard and spaced out the connectors a bit differently from everyone else. This doesn't affect you if you're using cables in an Xbox or PC or something, but since the PS2 network adapter is a PCB block that lines up with the drive, it is not correctly aligned for WD drives. Every other drive works fine, but if you happen to be using western digital, you need to remove some of the shielding on the network adapter in order to get it attached, nothing serious, just a metal plate - an extra inconvenience.

I've played Trilogy on my Wii. Pretty enjoyable (though some rage inducing bosses were toned down, like the Boost Guardian), and looks pretty damn good in widescreen from what I remember, but to my knowledge some of the arm cannon particle effects had to be removed due to how they had been rendered prior with the Gamecube, where you didn't have free control of the arm cannon the way the Wiimote does.

Metroid Prime in general looks really good.

Might also be worth adding to that that as far as the process goes, I've heard WinHIIP is a bit finicky, and that a program called HDLdump (or something like that) might work better, but I can't say for sure myself.

PS2 only has USB1.1, not USB2, and thus trying to load via USB is terrible from what I've heard.

And yeah, the general idea is to format the drive so the PS2 can recognize it, and installing games onto the drive to play digitally via a loader.

I've heard 1 frame at best for progressive content and 2-3 frames at best for interlaced so it is noticeable, especially added on top of whatever your TV will add.

You admit yourself you haven't used one so you actually don't know what is better. I personally think the crystal clear picture produced by a framemeister is better than the one a CRT outputs, and I've used both.

Regardless you shouldn't run around spreading misinformation like "deinterlacing causes noticeable output lag". I get it, you CRTfags love your CRTs, doesn't mean they're the end-all of gaming, they're relics that are only really spectacular at playing relic games. Not something to be a smug hipster about and pretend like everyone else who doesn't use CRTs experiences noticeable output lag they somehow aren't even aware of.

You heard wrong. The Framemeister never goes over 1.5 frames regardless of what it's doing. And yeah, if you have a shit TV it's gonna shit things up, surprise. This is why people shouldn't buy cheap wal-mart HDTVs.

I've seen enough comparisons in my studying. Framemeisters do a good job at what they can do, but they can't do everything. A better all-in-one solution is a CRT, especially for my purposes.
I didn't say you would notice it, but deinterlacing any image will cause additional processing with leads to lag. This is a problem for rhythm games. LCDs can't do interlaced images, so they must be deinterlaced.

The last part is where you lost me. Sounds like you're bringing in baggage from a previous conversation.

Mine is now 10 years old.

Towards the beginning of its lifespan, the disc lubricant ran out and needed to be replaced. But since then, it's ran as smoothly as ever.

To this day, it still works.

Here's to 10 years, PS2.

Why can't I go back? ;_;

cool, I appreciate the run down. Getting it today,

you should be happy you're here today, all the great games are out and available for so many systems. No anxiety over whether your platform will last 5 years, no worries over finding the best version and risking $50 on that deal, you can hop back to any platform, find tons of games for cheap or super cheap with back up loading, the older systems are even getting better with modding solutions.

You might be right there. Still this is a public forum so perhaps I'm attempting to get those people's attention as well.

And lag isn't a problem for any game if it's low enough, no one is counting individual frames of their DDR game I don't care if they're DDR universal champion. And really: do you give that much of a fuck about rhythm games? Seriously?! Same with light-gun games, they're meme genres. I don't miss a single one. Anyway, I'm not really here to shit on CRTs, I think they're a fine budget choice for retro-gaming, I just get really sick of how CRT gamers act like it's the only way to play old systems, and I get double sick when they try and push that crap with PS2/GCN/Xbox gens on where the games were actually designed with LCDs in mind.

Must've been a firmware update then, wasn't hearing quite the same thing back I looked up on it.
Regardless it's a far cry from the 20 nanoseconds number you pulled out of nowhere.

Unless you use specific device it's 2-3 frames of processing delay, if you can't notice that that's your own problem don't go generalizing your case with everyones case.

Find me a single HDTV that doesn't look like shit and also has sub 24ms combined processing delay + response time.
3 frames of delay is when it starts being noticeable, 5 is the most I'd accept from this kind of setup, after that you might as well just be emulating it.

I recommend emulation.
It's convenient, and fun.

Dude, are you autistic?

Ah, so you are.

Okay, I've had enough fun times with the CRT crew, pardon me while I go actually enjoy video games instead of spending my time posting about how my display method is superior on a anonymous forum.

:^)

t.buttblasted casual retard

You did kill the Dreamcast, asshole.

sega did that, it was inevitable pretty much

I had a laff, thanks

it made everything wrong with persona 3 worse
>uses herself as bait but doesnt put in some contingencies to figure out who's going to kidnap her

dont bother, for some reason its pretty shit on a ps2, youd be better of playing on a psp/vita/pc

Wait really? SSDs wont hurt it? It'll load things faster too right?

Honestly this is the only thing I can argue with but that's because the overall theme still is dark. It's a murder mystery punctuated by school life. At the core part of the story, it's still a dark basis to have these kids come together over. I'd say that's one of the only things that was okay about it. The characters are alright, if you enjoy anime things, everyone ultimately resolves to be the same person they were before though, so I don't understand why they get new Personas. At least in P3, the Persona evolution happened because of an actual change in character. The dungeons aren't that much easier than the already easy P3. The scheduling and more focus on waifu parts are meh. Honestly, I'm not a fan of being able to follow a guide to autistically get everything, I want a Persona game with a pseudo-randomly generated weather pattern that still allows for you to have enough time to max everything but it's different every play through.

All that said though, if you like JRPGs for the Japanese culture/anime vibe, it's fine. If you hate that shit, nothing will make it interesting for you, you're better off reading a plot summary to be able to shitpost about Waifu Wars.

No, ALL. Scaler mud and fucking frame delay is unacceptable at all in a world where 0 lag CRTs exist. Get the fuck out, Samsung shill.

Unless you're a Nintendrone. Enjoy paying $50 a game even a decade later lol

nintendo consoles are fortunately some of the easiest to pirate for.

Only if you're using some third party emulator, of course. Playing actual media in the PS2's optic drive is probably the best way to play PS1 games, given the easy access to Component video, and better lasers.

He's referring to the PS2 hurting the SSD, and in both directions no. Loading might be marginally faster, but keep in mind this is IDE we're talking about here. Putting an SSD over IDE is going to bottleneck the shit out of the SSD. Probably cheaper to just go with a platter.

But persona 3 doesnt have anything good

In my country, a original PS1 memory card is very expensive. Fuck off.

Fuck off, dumbass pooinloo.

Just buy a chink card, dude, shit. Or import one from the US.

Get the fuck out, CRT Hipster.

and yet its still worse

yea i was talking about emulators since that user stated he wanted a big hardrive for games.

Some countries have heavy import taxes.

(((0d0aee))) seems heavily invested in the interest of companies intent on selling planned-obsolescence panels that have stagnated video resolution for a decade… Who could be behind these posts…

you're ok

Not to mention the fact that the PS2 can't handle the full data rate of UDMA4 because the IOP is anemic.

I emulated KHFM and KH2FM at 3x native resolution. It was fun. Fuck you cobypasto OP.

No problem. Some people also take some issue with the lores using the PAL versions as opposed to original NA ones, but it's still a fine collection.

Where do you live, exactly, that that's the case? Around where I live you can get PS1 memory cards at maybe $1-2 each, and even PS2 ones are maybe $6 per 8mb card.

afaik you cannot play burned ps1 games on ps2, someone correct me(because if i can, holy shit i've been missing so much to run in a better set)
someone confirm/deny this, certain games just take a shitton of space just for temp-saves(sd gundam g generation series i'm looking at you)

Needs a chipmod or swapmagic (not sure about swapmagic), can't with just a softmod.

PS1 games can only use PS1 memcards

Or swap trick in a top loader.

Its the worst version by far. In fact, most multiplats should not be added to the chart when their NGC and Xbox counterparts are far better.

Any chance on getting any Sega collections up in there? They´re technically jap only yet for shit like shmups and stuff that doesn´t really matter. One can play a lot of Saturn and Genesis games on the PS2 and they´re pretty good (most have added stuff making them the definite versions)

got the thing chipped(matrix 1.59 iirc), dunno if that's good enough

some are good some are shit

I'll consider adding them, at the very least in the notes section. Main question I have being: Were these collections released as multigame bundles (IE: Namco's PS1 museums, which were five games per disc), or as individual rereleases branded as being from a total collection, or something? If the latter, then yeah, I could probably whip them up as individual tabs, but if the former, it might be better to leave to the notes section, if some games in the possible bundles are more readily playable without needing to know moon than others (in which case I think it would be of more value to specify which are).

Thing is, it varies. Some of the Sega Ages were just emulators/straight ports, others were collections, some were upgraded remakes. Some even have fan translations. If you're going to add them, it would likely be better if we compiled a list of the worthy ones, and just added them as a note.

There is literally no reason not to emulate PS1 games

Would a separate image in the same style as the PS2 focused on Sega Ages on the system, analyzing what games are in each set, what is playable without needing moon, and what has been since translated be a possibly good idea? Just strikes me that there's a fair bit to discuss there to have in just a notation.

CvS2, and one of the SFEX titles I think. Guilty Gear XX w/e. There's Soul Calibur but I'm pretty sure it's better on other consoles as I never played it on ps2. Kof00-01 and VF4.

this. if anyone thinks sega needed any help they don't know what happened.

that's not PS1 though

SC3 afaik is broken, dunno if namco ever released a 2.0
the KOF series also come with some extras(the extra characters in XI to name one)

Is it worth to play burned ps2 games with swap magic?

Nah, i think i'm just going to emulate.

I think you're just really unlucky. I've had the same PS2 since I was a kid. The laser stopped reading, and then my dog destroyed the mechanical portion of the disc drive while also bending the front of the case to the point I can't use the second memory card slot by pulling it off of the mantle in my living room, but it still works fine otherwise.

Yes

Vampire Night is an incredible rail shooter with awful voice acting, tons of content and crushing difficulty.

I think you just got unlucky.

Does this mod process enable you to play games from DVD? Or is that a separate mod?

Yeah the softmod allows you to play burned games with a couple limitations, first they need to be DVD games (a handful of PS2 games are CD games, you can convert them I think but I never bothered) and second they need to not have any advanced copy protection like say R&C3.
Just apply the ESR patch, burn it as slow as your burner correctly supports and you should be good, some consoles handle DVD+R better than -R and vice versa.

there are more but whatevs

I've been using a refurbished fat model for about half a decade now and have had very few issues with it. Though, I suspect that any problems it may have had were fixed as part of the "this needs refurbishing before we can resell it" process.

Never really heard of that game brought up much before; first glance I thought it might have been one of those odd games that saw a PAL release but no NA one (like Demon Chaos), but thinking on it more I'm pretty sure I've seen it before here in NA, but just never really looked into it myself in browsing stores. I'm more than willing to add it as a possibility.

Isn't there also something in regards to trying to burn games that had a DVD-9 format, or is that simply a matter of having the right type of disc?

Luck, some PS2 play them just fine, some chug/crash, some won't play them at all but slim tend to have better results.
Ripping content to make the game fit on a DVD5 is a crapshoot
A few game have patches like GT4 (because layer switching likes to crap out)
Most games on DVD9 work fine on SMB/HDD so avoid if possible.

please tell me this is as good as it looks

I was mostly asking for that other guy's sake, but I did figure it might also be worth asking to make some notes from for later.
Do you mean in particular to burned discs of those games, or DVD-9 as a media format on the PS2 in general?

I've heard pretty good things from fellow anons about it (it's also on PC, but if memory serves isn't the easiest to find in that format these days; think some user had to dump an old rip of his for the share threads a while back), but to not go into it expecting DMC3 or something. I kind of wish I'd capped the last post I'd seen on it, as it seemed to do a decent job explaining the matter. Take that with a grain of salt though, as it's not a game I've played personally yet (and I oddly can't find a copy in good condition at all locally, though it's always cheap; I figure I might just install the ISO to my IDE instead if this keeps up).

DVD9 was always something that caused problems on PS2s, even pressed ones aren't guaranteed to properly work all the time (movies in particular), burned makes the problem way worse.

Isozone got you covered for any lesser known PC games pre 2007.
Chaos Legion PC in particular does require a lot of fiddling to be played properly though.

this is amazing

PAL actually got a few exclusive light gun titles on the PS1/2, VN isn't one of them, but the limeys did get a spiritual successor to Point Blank. NTSC-J got a Virtua Cop collection release too.

I've also heard that it's a game that rewards parrying attacks (something along the lines that strikes after parrying do a lot more damage than normal strikes), so maybe keep that in mind? Again, just going off of what I remember seeing in discussions prior.

On the tutorial it tells you that if you strike as an enemy is striking it gives you more EXP, which carries to the end of the level, where you get to dump it all at the end. It's really fun and the frame drops during the cutscenes make it hilarious

what did he mean by this?

I forgot how well ico emulates. I hardly notice any errors beside the obvious slowdown, but It has hardly any effects in game to cause any other problems it seems.

Typo.

Daily reminder that is the original hardware shill that shits up literally every single emulation thread whenever the PS2 is mentioned. He starts by nitpicking every emulated PS2 screenshot: The games weren't meant to run at a high resolution like that! Low res looks better!. Eventually he reveals his powerlevel and throws a sperg fit, doing his best to completely derail the thread away from emulation and towards original hardware buyfaggotry because he suffers from a severe case of post-purchase rationalization, and can't keep to his buyfag containment thread.

He has done this in dozens of threads.

PS2 shmups? Anyone?

aren't you the idiot who thought you had 24-bit color in your lcd

none of those games are good kiddos

Is there a particular reason why Gradius V is as pricy as it is? Just curious since when I see it around where I live, it's a good $35-40. Not sure if it's rare or just a high demand game people don't exactly trade in much.

All right lets do the math mate

PS2
$20 - $50 depending where you live
$20
$20

Lets play devils advocate and say it costs you $90 total. Thats 90 bucks for essentially the full PS2 and PS1 library at your disposal. All of them working, with full accuracy and how they were intended to be played. On the other hand you have emulation (which to have decent emulation) you must have shelled out between $300 - $500. Not only that but you´ll never have full compatibility, if anyone has post-purchase rationalization its you

you are talking to a retard m8, it's funny to see him so upset but in the last thread he had an autismal fit in like a dozen people mocked him to his face until he said "w-well..I'm done making fun of you guys now! Guess I'm outta here…"

Sure, but nobody builds a PC just for emulation.
Heh, spotted another one.

Do you have brain problems? What the fuck are you going on about?

Probably for the best. There's a shitload of them.

any good guide to set things up to run ps2 games off the HD, also can you put ps1 games in it?

Alright, I'll make note to work on one in the future. Though, I do hope you or some other user that's played them is around to provide information/advice.

When I was setting mine up, I used a combination of this video (which is useful to a degree, I didn't need an extra memory card or flash drive, to get the installation and loader working), a few other videos, and a post from TiZ. WinHIIP can be a bit finicky in my own experiences with it though (it's not exactly bad, but trying to make sure it had a stable connection between the drive, my friend's computer, and the program was aggravating; I think the mention about the drive cacheing in 1877c7's post is the issue, as slotting it into a USB port I hadn't used it with yet worked MUCH better last time I was loading games onto it), and while I've heard a bit about an alternative program called Xdump (or Xdumb; the download an user linked me to had both programs in the folder), I haven't gotten around to trying it yet myself (not sure if I'd need to wipe the drive first or something, as it's set up right now to interact with WinHIIP), and it seems harder to try to find general "how to use/setup" information on than WinHIIP. I'll look into it more next time I need to load more than a few games onto the drive.

Actually made a bit of a WinHIIP text file guide myself since getting my own drive set up, basically just compiling stuff from different guides into one place and including annotations from things I noticed myself, but if Xdump is really the better program to use, maybe yet another thing for WinHIIP isn't going to be as useful compared to one for Xdump.

hdl_dump/dumb doesn't require you to format the drive, but I would advise doing so if it was formatted with either winhiip or an older version of ulaunchelf as they can both eventually cause issues with larger drives.

Recently the main developer behind OPL released a new fork/branch of ulaunchelf titled wlaunchelf that has plenty of fixes related to the HDD unit - I'd 100% recommend upgrading.

competent emulation requires an nvida gpu and intel cpu, otherwise you are just wasting your time. Even then you'll be drip fed adequate results for a lot of more popular games. Ace Combat only recently ran acceptably after years of players being required to run in software mode on high end machines because anything less was cripplingly slow.

Assuming you are what the person you've chosen to reply to is insinuating you are, no, there are no LCDs with 24-bit color. 12-bit color is just happening in LCD displays and you'd really need to be stupid to argue otherwise.

interesting, haven't heard of wlaunchelf. Someone should take some time to compile a PS2 modding guide sort of like how there's an Xbox one, with recommended software and everything. PS2 modding is unfortunately pretty convoluted.

Oh, also forgot. The application pack I set mine up with has what seems to be a PS1 game loader that appears in the PS2's browser, so I'd say it's pretty damn safe to assume you can, but I haven't fiddled with that element just yet. Main priority for me was just getting it working with PS2 games first and foremost.

I'd be willing to do so since I do have Photoshop and InDesign, but I'd need to confirm either the information I have for WinHIIP first, or have someone help provide the information for hdldump/dumb, as it's not as easy to find information on since WinHIIP seems like it's been the go-to for longer. Would also be good to know if it would be better to include information for just one of the programs, or both so people know their options, or something

Right, hdldump. Not sure why I was thinking Xdump was the name. Checking through my mod folder (I've opted to keep around the files I originally used just in case), I can't quite find a separate ulaunchelf file in there to check what the version I'm currently running is from the computer itself. I think it might be v4.42 Evil, or whatever came with that pack TiZ's Vash32 compiled a download of. I'll make a note to look into wlaunchelf, but I'm assuming that would require reformatting anyhow to swap out the elf? If so, what step in the process would be the one to replace the launchelf files, especially given I don't seem to have?

Hopefulyl someone with an HDD can help. I'm running on a Slim with Swapmagic, and DWM is not cheap enough to just waste on shit I'm not going to play.

ulaunchelf is just an application, most likely stored on the memorycard if you're running a stock~ freemcboot installation.

If you're looking to run games from a HDD over USB you're going to end up disappointed.

Any advice for low-end PC users trying to get PCSX2 to work for them?

If you need to know what I'm trying to run, let's say Shadow Hearts. The overworld clearly lags like a bitch, but the battles are fine.

I wish my crt was able to accept 480p signals just to see what how the game would look at 480p.

I belive there is a customised build with that mind. However it is very likely that I have confused it with another emulator, I`l try and dig through my thread archives to double check.

I have a 480p crt, does mgs2 run at 480p or 480i? Forcing 480p produces some undesirable results more often than not.

It runs at 480i but I heard it looks fine at 480p.

Digging around in the drive's browser, I do see ulaunchELF v4.42 Evil, as well as an unofficial installer for FreeMcBoot, but I don't recall putting them on there myself. I'm pretty sure they were part of the pre-installed application pack I used. If so however, I'm not real sure how I would go about replacing the Elf. The only things I've manually installed on the drive myself at this point have been games, not separate applications themselves.

Not sure how much help it is (I can't emulate since my computer is a toaster), but I recall seeing in a nichegamer article on PCSX2 that the author had tested some previously lag prone games on v1.4.0 and found some of them (he specifically mentioned Shadow Hearts) to be working much better. Granted, I'm not sure if he found that to the be the case using default settings or having to tweak things, but still. Just figured I might mention it in case you might be trying to use a prior version of the emulator itself.

Except Marathon was never expanded on. Ever.

Agreed. Even the silly songs were quite enjoyable.

Invest in a better CPU instead of relying on half assed solutions.
Its the most sound investment one can make concerning emulation.

True ancestors cannot be killed at night.

True ancestors are vampires, but not all vampires are true ancestors.

welp looks like the bot spam is back

I've heard it's well optimized

Imagine if every single person on this planet could connect to the the internet at the same time.

The most overrated for sure. Literally all the so-called "AMAZING" games I tested on PCX2 are absolutely terrible. I don't know if they just aged like shit and they were actually good back then (unlikely since I can still play Metroid Prime and it's as great as back then) or if you guys are actually retarded but those games suck ass.

Shadow of the Colossus, literally all the Metal Gear games, ESPECIALLY (yes) 3 while 2 was actually pretty decent, all the Final Fantasy games, God of War, Persona, even Devil May Cry 3 which I had high hopes for (such awful, clunky, out-dated controls and shitty movesets).

When you're unironically listing Kingdom Hearts as good game, you just MUST be fucking retarded. I actually forgot to mention it here . I think never in my life did I play a game this awful. IIRC it doesn't even have free cam, the controls are pure cancer, the targeting system is pure cancer, the gameplay as a whole. And the whole start of the game feels like ages. You fight the same boss like twice or three times and you're stuck on this mini-game hell of an island.

And this autistic design, Jesus.

Such a horrible, overrated console. I think even the Xbox was probably better.

okay

Alright…so what would you say is the best console of that era?

You clearly walked in here with an opinion, the logical move would be to support your opinion with facts.

Or you just shitposting for the sake of shitposting?

bump

the answer is always autism. also is there any other PS2 app better than HDLoader to run ps2 games from the hd?

OPL

How can I rip PS2 games with FreeHDBoot?

I don't think you can. Just back up the games with a regular disc drive on your computer, I don't think there's any special copy protection.

This. It's easier to copy the games using your regular disc drive and then copy to HDD than ripping using PS2 native software.

I can't get HDLoader on there, huh?

there were more 60fps games on PS2 than PS3 you retard

bullshit, no way you played all of them and came to any such conclusion you stupid faggots.

Kingdom Hearts is legit awful though.

any time you ask a question in that form, the answer is always: collectors.

DoDonPachi Daioujou. Emulates perfectly on PCSX2, and it's JP only so probably hard to find physical.

whats a PS2? is that some kinda old retro system like the wii?

It had about as much AAA titles as its contemporaries. Overall its library was larger but most of it was shovelware

It's a port on your computer that you plug your keyboard into, kid.

Yeah, I guess. I'm just trying to figure out what sort of reason actually prompts people to pay that much, whether it actually had low availability, or is just that good a shoot 'em up, that people will drop $35 or so on it.

In other news, one of the triggers on my controller isn't doing so well. Should I just buy some cheap ass replacement from Amazon, or would it be worth it going to some local used game stores and looking for one?

You don't even have a button on the TV itself that says input that pressing would toggle down a list of options?

As for the controller, where I live we've got some third party ones. Not sure what brand exactly (though they come in a yellowing package), but the stores here stock them for $12 new, $8 used. Had to pick up one for a friend so we could play Tales of the Abyss together, and I think he found it to be pretty good, for an unofficial controller anyhow.

Universal remotes exist look it up maybe your model will work just fine with one.

It's a completely different game from the actual Call of Duty 2. From what I remember of it, you roll through Europe with the same squad instead of jumping around between the different nations. There are some decent tank sections that do a decent job of breaking up the action. I wouldn't say it's as good as the actual CoD2, but it's worth $5 or so.

It's a quality game and people tend to hang on to it. Gradius V is actually pretty affordable compared to most Dreamcast shmups.

I guess that makes sense. I know there's other games out there that aren't exactly rare, but the amount of them actually available to pick up isn't sufficient to meet demand in the aftermarket without getting marked up.

I'm honestly not all that familiar with the pricing for Dreamcast games, so I'll take your word on it.

forum.digitpress.com/forum/showthread.php?60811-How-Common-are-PS2-Gradius-Games

it was uncommon in 2005, and apparently it was really good.

vgchartz.com/game/882/gradius-v/

Globally not that many copies were sold.

shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.php?t=24357

A shmup fan refers to it as an underappreciated masterpiece.

Sorry I gave a non-answer earlier.

ebay.com/p/gradius-v-sony-playstation-2-2004/11054?iid=361849261404

cheapest one I've found

LMAO! get an emulator and play in a decent Rez.

>>>/vr/403

up

I'm having trouble getting PAL games to work with OPL. Is this doable, or should I just give up on it? One of the games in question is King of Fighters 2002.

lmao
the only reason you had one is because your parents wanted a cheap(er) dvd player

WEW

Never mind, I got it. Now to get this patched KH Final Mix game to work.

Out of curiosity, what did you have to do to get it working? Been considering fiddling with OPL myself; only tried games through HDLoader thus far.

SNES has the best library. Anyone who denies this is underage.

super nintendo has a great library but i think it is pc that in fact has the best library

The games have a 60hz option that you can select when you start them.

Funny, I think the PC library is severely stunted and lacks an extraordinary amount of variety. Unless you really like a small handful of very specific genres, you aren't going to be happy with PC gaming.

as soon as i bought a pc i havent even bothered touching my consoles or even emulation, the games are much better on average from tie fighter to minetest and some games were even ported to pc from super nintendo like umihara kawase. most of the super nintendo library were sidescrolling platformers so if variety is your argument youve lost

I've been trying to get a ps2 with modchip for YEARS, to no avail.
Where the fuck do you get those things? ebay gives me NOTHING.

eurasia.nu/shop/default.php?cPath=48

I'm not even gonna bother, I hope you enjoy yourself, I know I need something more fulfilling than that.

like what

I've been playing the panzer dragoon games lately, and Saga has been a tremendous game in a genre I'm usually more averse to.

woah, how did you get the fabled panzer dragoon super nintendo beta?

not particularly interested in nintendo systems, pcuck

the best sega saturn game, nights into dreams, was ported to pc

eh, it's no cotton boomerang or panzer dragoon zwei or burning rangers.

you could have at least listed good games like saturn bomberman or radiant silvergun

you're trying too hard

I want to play Burnout 3 at the highest possible resolution
I have a i5 6500 and a GTX 1070
Does anyone have a config that works?

you listed a touhou ripoff and an even more movement restrictive starfoxclone with worse controls, im saying you don't have to try so hard to list games nobody actually plays when there are actual good games to choose from. i hope you are falseflagging

cotton predates touhou you retard

Maybe I should sell my PS2 with modchip. I doubt I'll ever use it again

im no match for you, i admit defeat

IF THIS DOES NOT WORK

I hope you at least learned to keep track of IDs. enjoy minecraft?

i never mentioned minecraft. enjoy above average arcade ports of "cutie shmups"

I'm getting a framemeister before they stop producing them next year so I can get rid of my CRT and make some much needed space. Now I'm looking for rgb solutions for burnt PS1 games.I know about popsloader but you can avoid using spotty emulation and fuckups that include not being able to play xenogears if you just use a disk in a PS2(I'm using a fat I salvaged by fixing the disk tray because the slim has some incompatibilities with certain games). The only problem is that with a softmod it requires a swaptrick or a modchip for easier access(as in just popping in the disk like the dreamcast). Is it worth it to put a modbo 4/5 in my already softmodded ps2 fat or should I just get a PS1 and make my own modchip outta spare parts?

Also some of the posts here are outright wrong. The thing is only higher is price right now because people are waiting on another batch to be shipped to retailers at its regular price in January. Anyone buying it for the risen price is jumping the gun because it'll be sold throughout 2017 but not after.

I need sleep.

nobody actually cares about grammer you don't have to correct every misteak you make

So I got my Maxtor 6L250R0, and uLauncherELF detects it, but I don't have an IDE-to-USB cable. I could swear there was a way you could put games on it via ethernet cable, or maybe FTP?

Either way, is there a specific way to format my IDE? I heard there's a… program?… for Free MCBoot that can format it, but I dunno how to put it on my flashed PS2 fat.

I'm not gonna put it myself buddy.

I know I'm playing on expert but this shit is tough.

cotton started in 1991, touhou in 1996.

drives came preformatted for the PS2, you need to format them outside the system. There may be software to do it you can run off of a memory card with ulaunch elf? I'm doubtful, I haven't seen anything like that discussed.

fag

you mean outside windows, right?

No, you can use windows-based software to format it. They meant outside the system as in the PS2 because it has no means of doing it because there's no need.

If I wanted to play fighting games, which is better : the OG Xbox or the PS2?

PS2 miles better, has ports of almost all popular fighting games that came out during it's lifetime and before

PS2, if not just for the better controller.

but are the ports in question the best versions of the game?

well, kofxi has 5 extra characters from what you can usually unlock, for starters.

feels good man

come on.

its the worst version of twinkle star sprites

That's not Dreamcast.

the dreamcast has a really small library, the saturn blew it the fuck out

just who do you think you're trolling?

Rez is missing there. What an awesome game to play while high/tripping.

Try harder faggot.

Where the fuck is Midnight Club 3 Dub Edition or some shit like that? That game was WAY better than any NFS.
Also, GrimGrimoire is a great strategy game, is Odin Sphere there? It should be.

DUDE
WEED
LMAO

wew lad.

Anyway recommend me some ps2 shooters.

Did you actually look? It's in the RPG section. Been debating on whether it's worth it to leave up there now that Leifthrasir has been out and, to my knowledge, lacks the slowdown issues the NA PS2 version saw. I suppose keeping it up though might be a plus for PAL PS2 fans (I've heard rumor that they fixed the slowdown before the PAL release) or those that prefer emulation though

Take it from me, mod chips aren't worth it.

I broke my ps2 soldering one onto it. One of the solders depends on a tiny diode capacitor that easily breaks off. The rest of them also require direct soldering on two of the chips. I'm sure I fucked the leads on those.

Biggest=/=Best

Only underage faggots would forget about the glut of garbage that infested the snes. The ratio was horrible.

I've been looking into that. Is there any lag or load issues playing games off a network drive with a slim?

Streaming your ps2 vidya to the ps2 will kill your HD if you play a lot of vidya.

Is OPL region free? I have a PAL slim but have managed to aquire alot of US releases and would like to play them.Specially Spartan Total Warrior, seeing as the friend I lent my copy to dropped out of contact soon after. Also is it possible to transfer game save data from PCXS2 into a memory card via SMB?

It can run games from any region. I'm not sure whether the output format (NTSC or PAL) is determined by the game of the console, though.

You can try with ulaunchelf. It works with ps1 saves but it may not work with ps2 saves because of magicgate.

up

Can someone explain to me what the fuck is going on here? Why does the english version of this game run like complete shit, when the Japanese version is damn near perfect? If it ran in 240P mode so I could get some nice scanlines going I would say this is the best version of the game.

This makes no sense to me at all.

Ah Nintendo fags being Nintendo fags as per usual.

DID ANY AUTISTIC user DOWNLOAD THE TWO TERRABYTE PS 2 TORRENT AND UPLOADED IT TO MEGA?

Well, if they just make a bunch of free accounts they could do it without paying. Though that would be stupid, just as uploading it to MEGA in the first place is stupid.

up.

why the hell would you even think that's a good Idea? if you want direct download just use a rom site like emuparadise. otherwise, just select what you want specifically.

No.

we have emuparadise
what more do we need?

They don't have everything. I know, most of the 2TB games are shit anyway, still i want to play them.

how about, take only the games nobody knows.

Do it yourself you lazy prick.

So i will never get the sweet taste of those old garbage games that once glanced on the most succesfull console of humaity!

May i die without this wissdom, so be it. i will never see the light of shit.

i know what i don't know, so do i not have the knowledge of torrent and the hidden secrets behind it. i see it as a secret sea monster with a thousand tentacles, hidden in the deep, that holds the knowledge.

i will never touch this since i can't swim. What a poor life i lived, it is beyond any comprehensivity of any thought that ever was thought of a human being. I am like a bag full of nothing, worthless shit not worth the fire to burn it. To consider killing myself at this point might the best solution and yet i'm not even worth to see the afterlife. Living ion hell forever, a manmade hell to live under the living.

You can, it's called taking initiative.

I have a server I built that I was gonna run it off of

They have a lot, but some stuff has to be found elsewhere. Like prepatched PS2 fan translations/undubs/bugfixes/whatever. Of course, if you can patch stuff yourself, I suppose it's a non-issue as long as you can find the patch itself.

Wait, so emulation doesn't support save files properly? What kikery is this?

Big claims for a cheap dvd player.

Spotted the Dreamcuck.

nice bait

Can someone answer this? Do emulators not have save support?

What the hell are you talking about?

What's the best site to find ISOs? Are they any good private ones for console ISOs?

Who the fuck told you that?

Nice digits. Emuparadise.me has them and seems to have good speeds, but there's extra clicking/scrolling and a captcha. (skipping it works for me though) TheISOZone tends to have a wider selection but everyone there uses shitty hosts.

Emuparadise has a ton of western releases (both western developed and Japanese ones brought overseas) as well as original Japanese game files. However, if you're looking for prepatched stuff (fan-translations, undubs, bugfixes, etc), they don't have much if any of those; The ISO Zone and Nicoblog cover a good amount of that between the two of them.

Emuparadise is usually just one extra click (from the main game page to download page), and the captcha's aren't required every single download.

I suppose it's a bit late to ask, but as to that USB drive caching issue, is there a way to clear the cache of those, or is the fact I only have the fourth USB port on my friend's computer not having been used yet going to mean I'm going to need to find another computer to use to transfer down the line?

You clear USB cache by rebooting your pc. Its inconvenient and will lead to frustration if you aren't sure what the problem is.

Here's the thing: I've taken my drive over there multiple times across multiple days if not weeks to install new things onto it, and any of the USB slots I've used prior become VERY finicky after the initial connecting of the IDE drive into them (which, on the first time, works quite stably; it's only subsequent attempts that have issues). He turns his computer off every time he's remotely done with it, so unless it has to be a hard reboot to clear it, I'm not sure what the deal is. All I know is that on the initial attempt at using a given slot, things have been fine. Trying to use them again winds up with either WinHIIP or the computer itself generally losing the connection to the drive partway through most files (smaller ones that are only hundred of MB instead of multiple GBs have a better chance of getting through without the connection dropping in the middle), and with only the fourth slot unused with the drive thus far, it's making me wonder.

PS2 modding is such a pain in the ass. Actually getting to move games takes hours because shit never works, and when it does work a 4gb game can take a fucking hour to move.

Install speed hasn't actually been an issue for me; main issues on my end have been simply moving games from a flash drive onto my friend's PC (installing even ~4gb+ games is at least half or less the time it actually takes to transfer), and the connection from the drive to the USB slot being finicky after the first time.

Though, I will say that the last time I actually had it stably connected to my friend's machine, WinHIIP displayed the PS2 drive as running Toxic OS instead of HDLoader 48bit (even after I went through the process in of putting both on), so I'm not sure if maybe that might also be the issue, or how exactly to tell it to switch over to the other OS.

Just getting it set up is a pain in the ass. Today I tried moving some games and had to fiddle with WinHIIP, HDL DUMP GUI and HDL DUMX untill I could get one of them to work properly.

That meant over two hours of trying to get the god damn HDD to USB adapter to work, giving up and then another hour of trying to get network transfer to work. Meeting problems along the entire way.

Sure burning DVDs isn't the better option nowadays but at least in the modchip days I didn't ran into this many headaches.

Over-ride Application mode in WinHIIP setting? I don't know, never ran into this problem.

Don't use winhiip, don't format the drive with older versions of ulaunch.

Modify your network adapter with a SATA bridge, use a new HDD and buy a SATA - USB dock.

Install games using hdl_dumbx locally - network installs are much slower. Zero issues with anything using this setup.

The PS2 can't can't take advantage of SATA speeds though. The only benefit is for file transfers.

Why not? Generally speaking, it's faster than using the network. You do need a power supply for the HDD, though.
More work than is necessary.

That's just how the partitions are set up. You can change that in a few clicks.

Takes minutes for me. I use an IDE/USB adapter and plug my HDD into my PC's power supply(I don't trust the cheap ones I got; already fried one of my other HDDs). I can transfer games pretty quickly.

Try a different USB port, I guess. Other than that, you should generally plug the adapter into the HDD before connecting it to the computer. Your problem could also be the adapter, but I doubt it.

IMO PS2 and SNES were the consoles with the greatest libraries. Sure tons of shit have been released on PS2 but many top titles were released as well

It's not so much about speed, it's all about convenience and future proofing.

the main developer behind most of the work on OPL in the last couple of years found that winhiip is riddled with issues when it comes to larger drives that have a high number of games installed.

I see. I've only got 250GB with 50 or so games on mine, so I guess it's not as big of a deal.

this may be faulty usb ports, do not use the ones built into your computers case, use the ones on your motherboard. Much more reliable. Also yes, you do need to do a hard reboot. Simply selecting shut down from windows, and manually powering up with the switch on your case does the trick.

Alright, I'll give it a try next time. I'm just not real sure what caused it to revert back to Toxic anyhow.

Issue is that after this time I'll be out of "fresh USB ports (and I'm not sure a splitter would help, or I'd bring one of mine over to route it through).

I think I've also been making sure the drive is running before connecting it to the PC, but I'll keep that doubly in mind. Hopefully I can can get a good flow of the transfer process again tonight, as there's some games and an updated game I need to install.

That's what I meant about him turning the PC off after just about anytime he's done using it. I just don't think he ever actually does an actual reboot cycle.

well nigga he's gotta turn that shit off completely, if he's just putting it in standby - all windows is doing is storing the data in memory on hard drive space, turning everything off, and then reloading that exact same memory from the hdd - cached usb and all.

it's a windows problem, but when all the software is windows based, what other solutions are there?

He is turning it completely off, unless "completely off" means unplugging the computer after it shuts down just to be sure.

Also, I'd give that HDLdumb thing a try, but from what it seems like there's a lot less information out there about using it than WinHIIP, and from what I can find it sounds like it prefers a direct ethernet connection to the drive in the PS2, as opposed to USB between the drive and PC.

hdldumb has absolutely no issues with installing games locally over usb.