Space Engineers: THEY FIXED MULTIPLAYER EDITION

Holy fuck. Just when I though the game was no longer fun, they pulled me back in.

Good I guess, I'll give it a try again if they add some more weapons.

Was just gonna post this in the space thread.

I'll pass.

serb when? I'm board of the game, but the brief time I played with anons it was pretty fun.

Gimme a sec. I can locally host one for a while until a proper dedicated host comes along.

If they can figure out how to not make the game run like absolute shit I'll try it again

Runs just fine on my end.
Also, serb up. Under the "Games" tab, called "Infinity Space"

So is survival mode playable yet?

any one playing Satan?

im not really interested in playing on with just anons, but it would be fun to raid an existing one and weaponize the board's autism.

yeah, anons need something to shit up, or theyll just infight like god damn green skins

How did they fix multiplayer?

specifically the netcode, its performant and more importantly means you can walk around on a moving ship, not glitch out and die over stupid bullshit etc.

Im not sure myself just how good it is. I want to know if bullet spam still lags servers to death or if occasionally rockets phase through solid walls. could test it but hah not worth my time

Actually, that's a good idea. Lemme find a server.

Alright, found a server to fuck about on.
its world name is "Pingperfect" and its server name is some long-ass string of buzzwords that starts with "NPC+ECO+NANITES"

does it have any mods running?

Didn't every patch though fuck up the netcode and make the game even more unplayable?

if nanites is in the name it probably has that automated blueprint builder mod therefore "nanites"

damnit anons i need to engineer with other anons

ALRIGHT

IS THIS ACTUALLY FINALLY FUN TO PLAY?

Does it not lag like a piece of shit?

Is it still autistic about creating stuff, I found it really unintuitive and annoying last time, I don't want to be constantly googling shit to find out how to make part 1 of 8 to make 1 type of block for yeah you get where I'm going with it, is the crafting fun or not?

What is your no bullshit assessment, anyone who has played this?

You still have components, but the past several updates had a feature that would build all the components required for a block if you ordered it.

Just take your lander and when you're at a base, scrap it in for resources. Last night using only one lander we were able to turn it into a large container base with more than plenty of space to hold our shit. Too bad the second lander we had flew off into space since nobody turned off the engines and the third lander crashed and burned before it even got to base.

just patched and ready to go, who hosting?
serber when?

was it this game or the other one just like it that was absolute fucking shit?

there was this and then another one, i don't remember the name, it had something to do with building shit in space too, but it was super sloppy. "space station" something? (no im obviously not talking about SS13) it was made by some dev who was relatively well known i think but he completely phoned the effort in to try and make "minecraft in space" or some stupid shit

Patience exhausted, devs need to get raped by immigrants until they die tbh

Tried to make a dedicated server, everytime I did it just dumped all the changes I made in the configs and refused to boot up the server. Since it can't even keep the changes in the configs, it just boots up a null scenario and thus won't let me boot up a server.
These server tools can go fuck themselves.

To expand on this shit:

Everytime I try and load an .ini into the server, it uses some odd ass default .ini instead of the one I fed it. No matter how much I try editing that .ini file, it does nothing at all. I've tried to set the file the server reads as read only to see if that would fix it, but unfortunately it errors out complaining it can't write a new config. When I do get the server booted, I get told that it can't load a world as a premade world is not available. I can't host a server when the tools they give are ass.

I've had this issue before, and I found it stemmed from mods I was using. Are you loading any mods when you host? If so, try cutting out everything that's not 100% necessary and disabling until it works.

If you're running vanilla, I'm not sure what to tell you. I've not heard of this happening before, but I also don't know much about server hosting beyond the basics.

Yeah, I tried vanilla and nothing. I tried loading a save, generating a new one and I still get the same result. I tried it on both server boxes and got nothing.

what

DEEPEST

WHAT DID HE MEAN BY THIS?

Silly Heather user

Then you're blinded by nostalgia, because GTA 4 had objectively worse missions.

I think you just end up rewinding to day 1 and letting things happen in the bathroom without interfering.

Oh boy, we're getting spammed again, boys. Batten down the hatches.

I'll get Yakuza 0, GR2, RE7 and KH2.8
Good month

I found the log file for it, doesn't tell me anything at all though.

2016-12-18 15:00:54.147 - Thread: 1 -> Preallocate - END2016-12-18 15:00:54.186 - Thread: 1 -> Exception during DS config load: System.InvalidOperationException: There is an error in XML document (126, 13). ---> System.Collections.Generic.KeyNotFoundException: The given key was not present in the dictionary. at System.Collections.Generic.Dictionary`2.get_Item(TKey key) at Microsoft.Xml.Serialization.GeneratedAssembly.XmlSerializationReaderMyConfigDedicatedData1.Read10_SerializableDefinitionId(Boolean checkType) at Microsoft.Xml.Serialization.GeneratedAssembly.XmlSerializationReaderMyConfigDedicatedData1.Read11_Item(Boolean isNullable, Boolean checkType) at Microsoft.Xml.Serialization.GeneratedAssembly.XmlSerializationReaderMyConfigDedicatedData1.Read12_MyConfigDedicated() --- End of inner exception stack trace --- at System.Xml.Serialization.XmlSerializer.Deserialize(XmlReader xmlRe

Pic related is what the console tells me.

my problem with space engineers is that it is mostly just an autism simulator. Theres no point in engineering things unless there are problems to solve, that being, alien attacks and attacks from the bot drone "pirates" they added a few months ago are fine. The universe is a stable system with no real reason to fuck with it outside making your waifu-ship. That said, I wish there were more block size options, as this game has the same failings any grid-based building game has, the limitation breeds frustration instead of creativity. There are mods of course, but with the new block updates, they wont match or just increase the load times / crashes.

This I agree with. If there were more types of natural disasters or a way to set it so that shit might just malfunction and need repairs randomly, it'd be better.

random repairs would be retarded, but there do needs to be goals.

ultra rad

I'll throw ships at you any day baby

With the introduction of the tutorial campaign, I think the devs have either given or are going to give the scripting and goal-setting interface to kids.

I don't know where "kids" came from when I was typing this, as I'm listening to a podcast, but I meant players.

they removed the asteroid belt scenario, the one where start with the yellow escape boat among some rocks
the one this webm was recorded in

the devs are definitly listening to kids that don't know shit these days, so you're not wrong in saying that they leave it up to kids to set the goals

Welp, this game is complicated.

You kind of have to approach it like Space Station 13. There's a lot of shit, and while it'll stick with you once you learn, it's pretty complicated to actually get started with.

The tutorial isn't AMAZING, but it's better than the introduction most players had. I'm not around 24/7, but if you have a question about a mechanic and you post it here or in the space thread or something I'll try and help you out.

I dig that music in the background

Serber where?

The world is too static, also the physics of planets is extremely retarded, they are just static objects that sit there. Also the controls feel like ass. The game was neat when it came out, but now it just runs so slowly due to all the shit they have put into it and they try to do too much work on the GPU which results in tons of bugs if they haven't tested your card specifically with their game. I'm pretty sure they handle collisions on the GPU which can be a good thing, but in the case of their buggy, unoptimized shit it is not.

This is NOT a game that should have been written in C#.

If you have it on steam, right click it and select the 32 bit DX9 client. That is the only way I got it to work, which is odd because I have a 64 bit machine.

32dx version is really fucking outdated.

Wow looks fun. Is there any point to playing yet, some kind of goal? I don't mind sandbox but I got bored with effectively playing the space bersion of dress up barbie dolls after GM spacebuild.

Right now there is no real "goal" but there's some pretty big milestones that I usually take into account when setting up a game.

1. Successfully landing on and establishing a colony on a planet.

2. Creating a self-sustaining station outside of a planet's orbit.

3. If I'm starting ON a planet, successfully building a base and getting from the planet into space without dying.

On planets there are also pirate bases that spawn hostile drones. Some planets also have Space Wolves and giant spiders.

Well, I guess the point is, there are challenges now? Obstacles?

Am I the only one that's got problems running this?

I swear. This game runs like shit on my machine for some reason.

Well, with the new campaign system, it's possible for players to script and share their own scenarios, and there's still the tutorial campaign. Most other stuff is goal setting, but I have a feeling that there's gonna be a lot of focus on making things more of an objective-oriented game now that the groundwork is laid. Their next big goal is a more immersive and easier to read HUD, but I wouldn't be surprised if stuff like research comes along down the line.

It's not just you. The game does lots of really minute calculations that can get retarded sometimes, and the amount of persistent rendering coupled with the still unaddressed memory leak means that if it's giving you problems that make it unplayable, you might have to forgo planets for a while.

Usually its build rocket from nothing and fly to moon and back.
I prefer building mining machines.

Call me when they add something to actually do apart from playing Minecraft in space. Some actual space combat so it's not all just ramming or spamming minigun turrets would be a start.

on a note related to that, they made it so that projectiles are super visible through glass now so you can actually see where you're getting shot from.