What are some good movies based on videogames?

What are some good movies based on videogames?

Silent Hill is surprisingly good all things considered. It pretty much nails the aesthetic of the games and has some really good gore (if you're into that stuff). The sequel is absolute garbage though.

No.
A quick look at SH2 and SH3 will immediately show you that they didn't really nail the aestetics really well.
It's a pretty shitty movie, it just happens to be one of the least shitty game adaptation movies along with classics like MK and so on.
The reason why MK was good back in the day is that game based movies are only good when they're cheesy and self aware of it.
SH tried to take itself seriously, and thus failed completely compared to any proper SH game.

Not vidya but same nerd shit.

The Street Fighter 2 animated movie remains the best game movie ever. It even had a cameo of Akuma before Akuma was properly revealed. It was good enough to inspire the Alpha/Zero series at any rate. Embed related, it's the whole thing. English dub, American version with no shot of Chun Li's tits in the shower scene.

That movie was fucking amazing. It's a shame the sequel is still in never-ever limbo.

i think SH had potential for a hwole show

How about you fucking watch the shows and movies that inspired it in the first place?
Go watch Twin Peaks, and Jacob's Ladder.
Go read the original S.King "The Mist".

No point in cannibalizing games for TV when games are already inspired by other medium in the first place.

You're mouthing out at a literal retard.

Postal was breddy gud. Certainly had its moments.
Went on for a little long in some less amusing bits, and didn't do a good job at the occasional bit of grossout humor. It's nice that it's not trying to be something it's not, and doesn't take itself seriously at all.

Postal is probably the only decent movie that Uwe Boll has ever made.
Well, "decent" is overpraising it, what i mean to say is that this is the only movie where Boll was genuinely having fun while making it, and it shows.
It's a grotesque carnival of idiocy put into a blender.
Any other movie Boll has ever made has always felt like it was incredibly blatant that he was only making them in order to exploit a legal loophole and keep getting funs, Postal is the one movie he made where it felt like "ok let's actually try to entertain ourselves while we make this".

You can immediately tell when the director and the crew aren't actually having fun when making a shitty movie.
Just look at the small behind the scenes snippets of Pixels.
They try to fake the idea that they're having fun making that turd, but you can tell nobody wants to actually associate themselves with it.
Sandler looks fucking dead inside during the production of that piece of shit, like he's done with life as a whole.

Rampage wasn't that bad

It's the only about what it's like to play a video game.

That's based on a mango, ya tard

No, it's based off a light novel you dumbfuck.

Canada here.
TV show, not a movie but check this out.

It's based off a sitcom, ya dingus.

Same fucking thing

That's like saying watching West Side Story is the same as reading Romeo and Juliet

Postal
Super Mario Bros Movie

Wasn't Jacob's Ladder inspired by an episode of the Twilight Zone?

It's based off a limerick, you mongonaut.

Even 5 year olds shit on that movie. Pic related.

It wasnt THAT bad

SF2 movie is better than the games, they should've stuck with that tone.

Fuck that cliffhanger tho I want to know what happened.

Yeah.

It's REALLY bad.
Pyramid Head being in the movie at all is a goddamn insult to the entire series.
If PH is in your SH movie, then make a SH2 movie.
Straight up, it's the only situation where he should show up.

In fact, they're so fucking dumb and know so little about SH that they didn't even realize that if they used Valtiel instead, it would've made sense and fans wouldn't have gotten pissed off.
Monumental sellout moment right there.

Could be but the basic plot twist is pretty standard. Jacob's Ladder is the best Macaulay Culkin movie for sure.

I liked Super Mario Bros because it was so fucking weird.
It's like some sort of cheap knockoff of a David Lynch movie that retained some of it's innate weirdness.

It's the worst thing ever if you see it as a SMB movie, but it becomes really entertaining if you see it as the product of a 12 years old boy that just saw Brazil for the first time in his life and went like "OH BOY, I'MMA MAKE MY OWN BRAZIL! AND PUT VIDYA GAEMZ INTO IT! IT'S GONNA BE GREAT"

That's not shitting on the movie, that's shitting on the villain. Not that the kid wouldn't have been justified either way, but still.

As far as I am concerned, there are none. People usually name Mortal Kombat, I didn't watch it, though.

There are some good vidya movies not based on vidya, namely Scott Pilligrim (Edgar Wright is Edgar Wright, after all), Hobo with a Shotgun (from the good old times when 80s-VHS-retrowave-neon cancer hasn't flooded the media) and Hardcore Henry (Movie Of The Year 2016, fight me).

Damn it

First Mortal Kombat movie is pretty cool yeah. Cheesy but in a good way.

Came to post this. Got the Bluray and it still holds up. The fight choreography is spot on and it really captures how to adapt a fighting game in a movie, by focusing on specific characters with the cameos of others doing what they do best–fighting.

Pic related is the best adaptation I've seen. Not to say it was spectacular or anything, but it was a decent movie that captured the tone of the video games.

Postal was fucking great. I got exactly what I expected from Postal: fun.

The RE CG movies are pretty okay, but I guess thats mostly because its Leon being a badass for 90 minutes and also Ada being there.

I only saw degeneration, is the other one ok?

I'm not sure it can really be called a loophole. He was and is, unfortunately, using it as intended.

this, shame the only people that paid to see it were parents of little kids and me

You're not supposed to make bad movies on purpose, user. Uwe Boll is literally living out the plot of "The Producers"

this one wasn't bad either, much better than I was expecting.

retard

Graphic novel :^)

pretentious term for a comic.
the conventional words only book is a different medium to sequential art

On the topic of Boll and his vidya movies, i dont actually dislike the Dungeon Siege movie he did.
Sure it's not great, even calling it good is a bit stretching it but it was entertaining enough to say the least.
Biggest problem probably being bad choices of actors, if it had had some random noname "who the fuck is this guy?" instead of Statham as the star instead it could've been way better atleast as a movie because he simply does not fit fantasy unless going full-on grim Vikings/Barbarians'n shit.

The "sequel" was meh though, only reason i watched it was because of Dolph but even he cant save a turd. though still better or atleast more entertaining than 99% of what Hollywood has shat out the past 15-20~ years but that's because jews are too used to just following the same fucking formula without any changes on every movie and betting on marketing+famous yet talentless actors to sell.

:^)

One of these is a light novel and the other is a manga. Find the difference, retard.

Wait, a Far Cry movie exists? Is it actually based off any of the game, or more "inspired by"?

a bit of both
one of the first roles Schweiger had outside germany

Well the left is obviously manga or why else would it be on MANGAreader.net. :^)

This was the real Double Dragon movie. Not that shit with the kid from Party of Five.

Actually All You Need is Kill was made into a manga and a comic, but it was originally a light novel

not sure where you're coming from, did you see the film? last Blizz game I played was War3, I never touched WoW and always, always mocked the faggots who wasted their time on it.

I torrented an early copy of the movie at normalfag gf's request, she doesn't even play games (unless you count match3) and wanted to see it, I grudgingly oblige thinking there's no way it won't be awful and settle in to be disgusted for the whole thing, was utterly amazed at how watchable it actually is.

Are there problems with it? Absolutely. That said, you could do a lot worse. Just look at some of the Uwe Boll films that will be mentioned in this thread. Postal is great tho

I always thought Barry Gordy's The Last Dragon was what the Double Dragon movie was supposed to be.

That or Miami Connection.

Neither of those movies had Billy and Jilly Van Damme fighting against Abobo Yeung.

much better ?
then what the fuck were you expecting ?

the remake of Kick Boxer sucked so much

"Billy and Jilly"?

Those movies had plots that were closer to the games. Double Dragon's story was simple. Evil street gang kidnaps lady friend of 2 brothers who are martial artists.

What was the name of that Van Damme movie where 2 girls are kidnapped and then dressed as gieshas to marry someone i think? If it has not been mentioned already, it fits perfectly well with a Double Dragon kind of game

This was okay

topkek

This and its sequel
By the way, what was in the red box that gook was carrying which Celios assumed was his heart?

Fucking forgot image

Fuck off PoP was good, had to change some things from the actual vidya but was perfect adaptation

It wasn't bad until the endless, dragging action shlock that only Uwe Balls would produce

Yeah, but in Miami Connection it wasn't the hot girlfriend who was kidnapped, it was the portly comic relief guitarist. They did have a guy named Jeff as one of the bad guys.

I can only think of Showdown in Little Tokyo, but that was with Brandon Lee and Dolph Lundgren, not JCVD.

it was all over the place, the prince's back story like he's Aladdin, him having siblings, no sand monsters, not to mention it had the setting of Sands of Time and they give him the fucking Warrior Within outfit
but I kinda liked it anyway

This is pretty much what the Doom movie should have been. All it needed was more demons and shotguns.

Not to mention there's an item in the game which exists solely to check out things like this.

DS3 also has an invisible bridge, I played offline my first time through so no messages to prompt me. My first instinct was to throw a prism stone where it looked like there should have been a path.

The "bad" and neutral ending were amazing too.
I didnt knew he had a fetish for monster girls.