Castlevania

Why does the Saturn port of SotN have to suck? Design wise the new additions to the game itself are great; a proper item button so you don't have fiddle around unequipping your weapon then reequipping after using an item, extra part of the castle to explore, get to play as Maria when she's older. The actual porting however leaves the game laggy and ugly and it makes me sad. Adult Maria in particular is really cool with an awesome moveset, a shame she's stuck in the Saturn port.

Other urls found in this thread:

nichegamer.com/2016/04/08/nes-era-castlevania-throwback-brave-earth-prologue-is-greenlit-on-steam/
steamcommunity.com/id/furrets
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

How good is the emulation?

It's alright as long as you're not looking to play in high resolutions with filters and shit. You can boost the performance to help the load times with SotN but it's still slow in places, especially pulling up the map

It was built for a system that was better at 3D and designed to show off cool 3D assets and detailed background effects. The tricks that made it work did not translate well to the Saturn's weird architecture.

It was not ported by the original developers. PS version was developed by KCE Tokyo, while SS version was developed by KCE Nagoya (who also worked on Castlevania Legends for the GB).

PSP version also has playable Maria, though she's an upscaled version of Rondo Maria rather than the Saturn version. The extra castle area isn't that great.

Would've rather had a traditional, original Classicvania platformer that utilised Saturn 2D power.

Fuck IGA.

IGA had nothing to do with Saturn port of SotN. He pretty much disowns it.

Different team made it, but gotta admit, I loved the Beat-em up gameplay of Maria in the Saturn version.

Because the Playstation is more powerful than the saturn. The only good thing about the Saturn port is the extra content, and it's worth it. The extra hand is retarded, and the PS controller have enough buttons to make for it.

I dream about some user adding the saturn content to the PS version.

Terrible. Saturn emulation is general is pretty bad with constant crashes and graphic inaccuracy. It's playable, though, even when the emulator is not too user friendly.

I hate this meme. The saturn had the worst 3D design of that gen.

X Chronicles SOTN a shit. And the extra castle areas, as mediocre as they are, serve atheir purpose, being extra content with extra enemies, bosses and items, plus music. The prison server as an easier connection to the right side of the castle and give you a reason to use the corridor that connects marble gallery to the castle entrance, and that garden area had a boss to make you at least go and explore it.

Not really. The norm is PS1 was better at 3D games, while the Saturn was better at 2D (especially with the JP-only RAM upgrade cart). The Saturn port of SotN was just poorly optimized.

I'm sure he was referring to the PS1 version in that post. SotN does make use of 3D effects.

There are more Classicvanias than IGAvanias, so I'm not salty at all. However, IGAvanias are a shitstain on the series that only appeal to casuals who enjoy babby-tier difficulty due to halfassed RPG mechanics that break game balance and boring, uncreative level designs like copypaste hallways and empty rooms. Anyone preferring IGAvanias to Classicvanias simply has awful taste and can't understand what made CV great.

Who Rusty here?

Sounds interesting. I only knew of Castle Succubus.

Faggot. I hope they don't release another classicvania ever again.

kys

It isn't an eroge though, just your typical PC-98 game with ecchi touches. It's fun though.

Don't you know that it's called "get good" in the vernacular? Honestly, there are some points to be said in favor of classicvanias, such as the clunky controls forcing you to commit to attacks and the game seems designed around that limitation. La Mulana is similar. I also hate it so I don't play it, but there is merit to it if you want that kind of difficulty. I vastly prefer exploration and merely acceptable combat if I had to choose which got more polish.

I really don't understand the point of a lives system in a game with instant death pits though. Like losing all your souls when you die in Dark Souls. That doesn't make it hard, it just makes you waste more time gathering the shit you need to progress. If you're going to waste my time, might as well make it permadeath and we can bitch about how bullshit some roguelikes are for hours of gameplay to be gone forever.

It's a carryover from the arcade era, in which most games gave you three tries per credit.

I played a tiny bit of it ages ago, I should give it another try

I want to protect her smile.

Usually Saturn ports were inferior to the PlayStation ports.

I first played this game on Playstation emulator, and I got it to run at 200% speed by accident.

The music, game experience and overall tempo is much better at that speed, trust me.

All the Capcom (and SNK) arcade games had better ports on Saturn than PS1. Feel free to argue how removing the tag team feature from X-Men vs. Street Fighter makes it a better game though.

I played it on Dracula X Chronicles' port so I got kind of a best-of as far as ports go.

Lives exist as punishment. Respawning at the last checkpoint isn't much of a setback and thus not a great punishment for dying. Lives exist to give you a fair amount of mistakes before the game decides you've failed enough and sends you back to the start of the stage. Lives also act as a reward for playing well, giving you more chances to make bad mistakes. Without lives, dying becomes little more than a minor annoyance, giving the player less incentive to actually become skilled at the game.

Bumping with
THE DARK SHADOW THAT CHILLS THE HEARTS OF MEN

Will we ever get another good, 2D castlevania? Been playin Aria lately.

Richter: "Die, monster! You don't belong in this Franchise!"

LoS: "It was not by my hand that I was once again given a game. I was brought here by Konami, who wishes to be paid Tribute."

Richter: "Tribute? You steal the old character's names, and make them suck!"

LoS: "Perhaps the same could be same of Castlevania Judgement."

Richter: "Your words are as senseless as your lore! Castlevania ill needs a savior such as you!"

LoS: "What is a Castlevania? A miserable little pile of nostalgia! But enough anime! Have a nother Pachislot!!"

Highly unlikely, given how readily Konami has opted throw the fans of most of their franchises under the bus. But they'll still milk it for pachinko and/or mobile.

Is this really it then? The complete death of a genre?

Fangames and spiritual successors.
I'd work on it.
in fact, I joined several projects but they all died.

Well, you asked about Castlevania itself in particular, so I assumed you meant the series itself. I would imagine it if goes long enough without anything to properly fill the void, some fans might very well make Not-Castlevania, though they'll likely need to be wise about making it a clearly distinct thing, considering how C&D and DMCA happy companies are these days over fan games and remakes (and of particular note, a fan remake of the first Castlevania, with 3D graphics, got slapped down by Konami recently).

Actually, I knew I'd seen something in regards to a fan throwback for Castlevania earlier this year. There was a nichegamer article about a game called Brave Earth being in development some months back. Make of it what you will I suppose.
nichegamer.com/2016/04/08/nes-era-castlevania-throwback-brave-earth-prologue-is-greenlit-on-steam/

I'd buy this game in a flash. Seems exactly what I would expect from a good Castlevania game so far.

Hey, pretty good.

Mainly said "take it as you will" because while it does seem to have the guy making it having actually released something noteworthy before, it still falls into being indie greenlight stuff, which doesn't have the best reputation amongst anons considering how abused greenlight has been. Still, if he pulls it off and releases a great game, all the better for everyone.

Nichegamer has a a couple of other articles on it, including an interview with the dev.

I wish I could contribute to get it done. I suck at programming but I can do some sprites of music, if needed.

Does this mean Todd gets in too?

Bigger screen but you still get the same number of pixels.

Tabata happened.

game?

lol

All brown girls belong to me, faggot.

you wot m8? Wrong thread?

bui here

please erp with me as klonoa with stinky paws and i'll stop :3

my discord is Bui#3468
steam steamcommunity.com/id/furrets
you must have a cute klonoa avatar or i won't add you~

And that's how I know you'll never, ever be rich, but that's why you seek validation here, don't you?