Exploring or medieval games

What are some games where you explore besides S.T.A.L.K.E.R. and Underrail, any genre will suffice but preferably in the middle ages, or just a medieval game.

You actually do quite a bit of that in the first Witcher game.
But you bust be man enough to handle an isometric top down oldschool RPG with a questionable fighting system.
Also it's slow as fuck and there's an entire swamp area before that that sucks ass.

You know that's optional right?

The camera angle changing doesn't make the core gameplay less based on it.

Thief 1 might work for you depending how free-form your exploration needs to be. Make sure you get TFix though.

Alternatively Deadly Shadows if you've got a problem with older vidya (again I'd get the Sneaky Upgrade but DS is not so reliant on fanpatches). There's a semi-open city in DS too.

Otherwise maybe Gothic or Gothic 2.

Well not exactly medieval, but Valdis Stroy Abyssal City does exploration very well.
Initially game was punishing you for it, if you can believe it, by placing real time clocks on events and closing areas off for good, but now after about 3 or more years of fixing its shit, VS is one of the best 2D exploration games out there.

Shit I'm trying to slog through it now, are you telling me the first Witcher actually opens up after the swamp and I can go wherever I want? I thought the whole thing was gonna be one shit area at a time.

There's Kingdom Deliverance, same guys who did Mafia 1 and 2 which had great attention to detail on the era they are based on.

kingdom come deliverance.

there should be torrents of the latest build up on popular public trackers

Is there an audio dialogue option.

On a similar note, any good exploran gaems that are strictly post-apocalyptic? S.T.A.L.K.E.R. is flawless, Metro was too enclosed, and the new Fallouts are irredeemable Bethesda shit.

Bonus points if it gets a tad supernatural or esoteric at some parts.

Definitely these. Absolutely top-tier RPGs with some of the most rewarding exploration out there.

Pathologic? But it's pre-apocalyptic.

Some of Thief's levels are technically post-apocalyptic, just with very localised apocalypses.

they actally had authentic dialogue from the era but changed it because they figured it'd be too much for normalfags

Wait, was the PSP rom patched too?

Gothic 1 is oddly paced. I just smoked swamp weed, suddenly after 50 hours I kill orc and realize I don't like the water mage transition.

The 2nd was brutal. Mage route was strangely easy to start. Bosper is a lying sack of shit needles. Combat is kinda like Zelda Tennis.

The 2nd punishes you if you don't invest in a single attribute.

Best advice: Serpentine.

I patched it wrong and glitched the orc camp quest. Never finished. Pirate and water mage quests were nice though.

Never found out why that damn room in the middle of nowhere had so many skeletons.

What did you do with all the claws in the 2nd?

Let me guess, you played the gold version on your first play-through?

Darklands
Exploring the Holy Roman Empire of German Nations where Pagan, Heathen and Heretic Magic got real.

Is there a game that's like runescape except single player? I like games that allow me to wander around to find things to do and have plenty of non-combat orientated skills to work on. I've always wondered if Ultima 8 would scratch that itch since it looks similar to Ultima Online which I loved

the non-gold version is surprisingly hard to find… maybe there was a "mod" at worldofgothic that reverted it to vanilla, but I'm not sure any more

Fuck right I played the full version. With the fully remastered combat difficulty. After the 1st, I earned it. I wouldn't play it otherwise.

But after trying so many starts and glitching the main quest I gave up, and always figured I'd try for dexterity or strength instead.

With animals, you just have to single them out and go piecemeal. With humans, you had to stay one-on-one and block.

Or. Use a scroll and just fuck up one really important target.

But I never found a person that buys claws at a good price.

What? I thought it's only on PC.

So is it nearing completion? Worth the pirate or did they drop the ball already?

A+ taste user Darklands is sorely underrated.

Are you interested in visiting Paris ? Asscreed Unity actually did a pretty good job in recreating the place, the famous landmarks even had their interiors made. Was pretty dope on that front. Too bad the story is an insult

how exactly did you glitch it..? I've played it trough 3-4 times and never seen anything game breaking.

I never bothered with trophies because they are not worth the LP spent in them.. If you want money become a blacksmith and spam the first sword you learn to make for profit

I glitched the quest at the castle to continue. Probably from applying the wrong patches to the steam version.

And I had no issue with money. Smithing or even mushrooms cover costs neatly.

I just hated the waste of animal parts.

Damn right. The art in this game is gorgeous, and if it was the only thing that mattered in a game, it would be an excellent game. Charcters are actually modelized after real paintings and depctions of said characters in french accounts. The best place I've seen is the Sainte-Chapelle, built by Saint Louis. It's absolutely gorgeous, and the architecture in general is awesome. I was really impressed with the mission where you fuck Robespierre's life, where he makes a speech about "L'ëtre Suprême", the area is gorgeous.
Too bad the gameplay has been extremely dumbed down and the story is complete trash. Oh and don't forget the fucking freezes every 5 minutes.

Witcher 3 has some really good cities and towns.

There is also Assassin's Creed series.

Morrowind for sure, at least if you can stomach the shitty mechanical aspects of its gameplay.

I second these Assassin's Creed, but the medieval one you'll want to play is the first one. The Ezio trilogy also has a bunch of medieval stuff, but I personally find the first one to be the best.

The Basilica of Saint Denis on the DLC also looks great.

Also of note is that a good chunk of the landmarks you can enter aren't even touched by the main story. Here's the Jacobins club for instance. There are also series of riddles that incite you to explore further and find minor landmarks.

It's really not beginner friendly, and that's saying something considering how skeletons and raptors could push your shit in even in the regular version.

There's a vanilla leveling mod iirc but it's not worth it. You snowball as is, and with more skill points per level the beginning is easier but mid game is just pointless broken.

And we'll never get the planned sequel based on the Spanish reconquista.

GTA San Andreas has a pretty good map to fuck around and look at lulzy stuff rockstar left behind

Try the Souls series. It's basically the S.T.A.L.K.E.R. of medieval RPGs.

How is souls anything like S.T.A.L.K.E.R. lol

Gothic and Risen series (Gothic 1-2 are must-play, Gothic 3 and Risen 1 are also good. Arcania is abomination). You could also check out Diccuric mod for Gothic 1. It's unfinished, but its world is more detailed and open to exploration than those of the main games.

Change the language to Czech

Czech em btw

Gothic series is borderline unplayable. Between appalling controls and an amount of critical, game-breaking bugs that make bethesda games look like polished gems, not to mention how everything from the setting to the writing is so generic you could swear an algorithm generated everything, there's nothing to even remotely enjoy.

On the other hand, risen 1's first half (but not the latter half) is pretty good. Unfortunately, the other risens are similarly unplayable.

I never used the isometric camera in Witcher 1.

No, it continues to be like that. At least half of the game is just backtracking. I don't know what the other user is talking about with the swamp, that's not even a bad area. It's the first village that's the worst.

I played it for like a minute.

I actually loved Metro's enclosed design, would be great to have an open-world game that's basically 2033 except you have the whole Metro to explore. And no "spawning filters as you need them", trips to the surface (still frozen, of course, none of that spring shit) would require careful planning and timing. Sometimes worth going, sometimes not.

get good

You weren't even a sperm in your dad's ballsack when the conflict that sparked that rivalry happened you dumb millenial

Dark Souls

Wasn't there some kind of animal fighting game on the wii?

Oh man, they look nothing like in the screenshots. Not even in the frist Nier.

I'm seeing a good mix of buffs and nerfs.

Of course, you're crying about the nerfs.

Nice exploring and it's basically medieval fantasy