Cheap but good gamecube games

Recently found my brothers old gamecube in the attic. Seems to work, but no games.

I went online to buy some on ebay and was amazed at the price.

Are there any gamecube games that are 1. Great and 2. Not like $20+, which is insane for a 15 year old console.

I also found a Wii up there, which I think is backwards compatible with the Gamecube (this doesn't help me I appreciate). I have never played anything on the Wii, is there anything or is it a casual console?

Again games that are

Other urls found in this thread:

sites.google.com/site/completesg/
forums.afterdawn.com/threads/guide-how-to-properly-burn-nintendo-gamecube-games.622526/
instructables.com/id/Homemade-GameCube-Mod-Chip/
128bit.me/index.php?topic=14725.0
wiki.gbatemp.net/wiki/USB_Devices_Compatibility_List
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

No.

You other pay $50-$300 for the good stuff or you get shovelware, unless you get lucky.
If you didnt buy GC games when they came out you get fucked because handwringers.

Check out Dolphin OP
free games.

If you're looking for must haves, you're going to end up paying more than that because scalpers.

1. Buy external hard drive
2. Softmod Wii with Homebrew channel and assorted goodies
3. Fill external hard drive with every single Wii game for free
4. ????
5. Profit

Dolphin is out of the question since my PC is a piece of dogshit. I have an external hard drive. Explain yourself…

Nintendont is a homebrew app you can get on your wii if you jailbreak it. It will let you play gamecube games off of a hard drive or flash drive or usb drive. Yo So you can download gamecube games off the internet and run them on your wii with no slowdown whatsoever.

It's not that hard. Just search up how to softmod wii on your favorite search engine.

Checked. Google the how-to, but you basically toss a few programs onto an SD card, use them to jailbreak the Wii, and then load the game ISO's (called .wad files) onto the hard drive. The Wii has USB in the back, so you just plug the drive in there and whammo you've got games for days.

Yeah, I have Treacher Collins, fuck you.

It's fucking insane the prices that high selling GC games are going for.
I remember seeing melee being sold for around $60, which is real fucking stupid since it was the highest selling GC game.
I understand that it has a massively large autistic fan base behind it, but the supply is enough that it should be at most $30.

Especially since it's one of the most easily emulatable consoles around

Spongebob Battle for bikini bottom, the 007 games and spiderman 2 are some that come to mind. Mario superstar baseball is also like, 20 bucks. wii is a little easier with shit like Punch out, Sonic colors Sin and Punishment,Trauma center, and Trauma Team.

Fixed.

Speaking of gamecube emulation, its been 4 years, how the fuck does WiiU still not have GC Virtual Console.

Because it doesn't have the GC hardware to do hardware emulation and it's not powerful enough to do software emulation
Switch is rumored to have GC VC

I did. It's talking about having an SD card reader. I don't have that kind of shit. How do I do it with standard stuff?

I get not wanting to emulate, for that seamless authentic experience, but it's pretty hard to not have it as your only option with the asking prices here.
I'm holding off on emulating Crash 3 and instead trying to find my old copy so I can play it on my PS1 again.
Looking around I found that used disc only's on Amazon we're $75 and up.
Shit's wack yo.

I was real disappointed to hear that the Switch wasn't backwards compatible. I really can't see many reasons for excluding backwards compatibility.

Used discs for Melee, not Crash 3.

Because the WiiU has like 5 good games and they're all first party?
Honestly who cares

Also the Wii does have the GC hardware and you can easily get the same experience on that you would on GC.

That may be the case, but they are 5 more reasons for me to buy the Switch if I didn't own a WiiU, and a lot of people do not own a WiiU.

It's pretty easy to softmod a Wii, but make sure you use the latest exploits/utilities (letterbomb, USBloader GX, Nintendont, etc.). I used this sites.google.com/site/completesg/ without any issues, but using ModMii is probably better because it downloads all the latest files for you and generates a guide. All you really need is an SD card (at least 2GB, but I have an 8GB for roms) and an Internet connection.

Wii games use .wbfs and GameCube games use .iso. You only install .wad files (WiiWare / homebrew channels). Forwarder channels are useful for quickly accessing homebrew from the home menu.

The Wii is also good for emulating almost every console before PS1 and every handheld before DS.

Make sure to get the older model with memory card slots and controller ports.

A used disc for meele is normally 40 bucks, if you don't just jump on the first thing you see

Honestly though most gamecube games are around 30 bucks if not under, the ultra expensive shit is just the games that did not sell at all or the nintendo games that have massive amounts of hype behind them.

Well that's the whole point dummy. Nobody owns a WiiU, nor the games for it.
So why even bother giving it retrocompatibility and fuck over the millions of people that didn't buy one.

It's honestly the only sensible choice they could do

Or the shit that got reprinted on the inferior PS2, but never on the gamecube (MGS reboot, MMXC, that one basketball game that got cancelled mid production on GC)

I suppose there is that side to it. I was more thinking that you have an extra library that you can purchase games from and play with backwards compatibility, if you didn't purchase the previous generation.

Melee tournaments organizers bought them on mass for setups. There may not be a need for that anymore given the rumored VC port, if it doesn't have any problems like input lag.

A lot of Gamecube games have seen price hikes these dyas, to the point that even really well selling stuff can be a good $40+ if it has Mario, Legend of Zelda, or Pokemon in the title; and good luck trying to find anything actually rare at low prices. That said, there's still a handful of worthwhile games you can find for about $20 or below. Viewtiful Joe 1 and 2, as well as Metroid Prime 1 and 2 can still be in that range where I live, and while slightly above $20, Tales of Symphonia is pretty solid if you like real time JRPGs (it's also on the PS3, but as that's based on the JP only PS2 port, it has both the pluses and drawbacks of that version, namely additional content and Japanese audio, but worse shadowing and combat framerate).

Really though, if you don't have anything for the Gamecube at this point (and aren't willing to play the game of trawling stores over long periods of time for occasional cheaper than average finds), it would probably be better to look into Dolphin emulation, or modding a Wii to play digitally downloaded Gamecube games.

I think it's a case where demand simply far outstrips supply to that degree, especially for tourneyfags. Similar case with Dragon Ball Z: Budokai Tenkaichi 3 for the PS2: Sold really well (enough to secure a Greatest Hits print), but still averages $50-60 where I live.

Not even a contest.

Hey, I'm personally quite happy with the Gamecube original myself (still have my copy), but for some, the dual audio (complete with voiced skits in the JP track) is more than enough to make the difference. Just depends on the person. Plus, Chronicles is basically a two for one pack, though given the other game is Symhponia 2, I don't think anyone gives much of a shit about that factor.

What I find weird is that they didn't opt to make the PS3 version a "Definitive Edition", with the pros of both versions and the cons of neither: 60 fps in combat, better shadowing, extra content, and dual audio. But I guess that would have been extra work Namco wasn't willing to put in. Not real sure why the PS2 version even had to have lower combat framerate anyhow.

Pic related. ~$10. Even Walmart has it. Jailbreaking uses the Wii's SD slot to work its magic.
Pretty sure Wii will only read up to 2gb cards, not sure if jailbreaking fixes that.

This. Also you don't even need a big memory SD card. I used a small 2mb one and that worked just fine.

I use one, though it's not the same brand. Works just fine as an adaptor and was like $8. I'm not sure if you can use a bigger SD card after modding the system though; I still use my 2gb one since you can store a LOT of older cartridge based games and emulators for them on a 2gb one without much issue, since the filesizes are so small. But for disc based games it's better to get a USB storage device to run them off of due to the difference in size between carts and discs.

The gamecube wasn't the biggest powerhouse or anything, but it was still miles ahead of what the PS2 was capable of. Part of the reason why gamecube games are more expensive than PS2 games, aside from the massive reprints many games got, is because the GC version was always superior, and many games didn't get an xbox version.

Maybe. I mean, I can see why the ones that were just Gamecube and PS2 would have the Gamecube versions be pricier due to running better or not doing as well in sales, but in a number of cases I've seen where a game was on all three systems, the Gamecube version was usually still the most expensive, while the Xbox version (which I would assume would be on par with or perhaps better than the Gamecube versions) is at the same price as the PS2 one, if not cheaper (as examples, Timesplitters: Future Perfect and Beyond Good and Evil, going off local prices). Is the difference in shipment between the Gamecube and the Xbox big enough to warrant the price gap in such cases?

No, in fact it seems most xbox games sold worse than the gamecube version (i.e Sonic heroes sold 1.42 mill on GC but didn't even break a mil on xbox). The thing is xbox has a stigma attached to it as being the Dudebro/casual machine, so it triggers the kind of autists who would normally buy these kinds of games. At least that's part of it.

The problem with that is Nintendont isn't totally perfect yet. Certain games occasionally lose control for a few seconds like RE4 and TTYD. Metroid Prime runs pretty well fine except for the odd music glitch and delayed loading door opening. Prince of Persia has huge slowdowns on accessing the save menu.

Wii loading on the other hand works pretty much perfectly, I think the only major game that doesn't work is Metroid Prime Trilogy?

How does Nintendont work on it then? The only issue is needing a non-GC controller, I use a PS3 one.

Well, I can certainly see why eastern developed stuff might not sell well on the Xbox (Otogi 1 and 2 for example; though it certainly doesn't help that places like EGM refused to even do much on a review for the second game, under the impression they weren't games anyone reading cared about anyhow), but I would have thought western developed games like Beyond Good and Evil, or Timesplitters FP, would have sold a lot more on it. I guess it just sounds a bit conflicting that they would have sold better (and thus be/have been more available) on the Gamecube, yet the Xbox versions would be that much cheaper. Or is it more of a "few people want to collect for Xbox now" than "few people picked stuff up for the Xbox back then"?

Have fun OP.

Laugh at this hipster spending way too much money on videogames.

If your SD Card is bigger than 2GB you have to use the letterbomb method which has the same result as the brawl method. Alternatively you can hack your Wii U and use the vWii to use Nintendont.

Scalper City ahead
At least the consoles are cheap, but everything else related to it is at least 30 or more, unless you find a good, decent shop
There are, but they are incresingly rare

Or a shop that fucks up prices often enough to make going back worth it. Pretty much the only way to get stuff like Fire Emblem Path of Radiance for below average, if not downright cheap prices (I would know, that's how I got my own copy), but it's a real waiting game. Plus, from what I've seen, while some games shot up in price fast after Gamestop stopped stocking for it, others have had a slower increase, but have gotten a good bit more expensive when they finally went up: Baten Kaitos and Baten Kaitos Origins used to only be about $15 and $25 respectively where I live, until a year or so back when they climbed to $30 and $50 or so. Hell, I've even seen one store manage to sell a copy of BKO at $100.

1. buy mini discs
2. acquire DVD burner/software
3. download ROMs
4. burn ROMs to discs
5. install chip in gamecube
6. play game
7. touch benis
How to burn GCN games:forums.afterdawn.com/threads/guide-how-to-properly-burn-nintendo-gamecube-games.622526/
How to hardmod GCN: instructables.com/id/Homemade-GameCube-Mod-Chip/
Alternative hardmod instructions: 128bit.me/index.php?topic=14725.0

I bet you were one of those sas fucks stuck with just a PS2 and its average games. I knew a lot of rhem.

Exactly, the lack of interest in xbox today is what keeps prices low, whereas the opposite was true for gamecube, where most people didn't really give a shit back then, then as time went on, and more people started realizing GC was either the Unpopular one/Overlooked one(depending) and games like FE Awakening started getting big suddenly the prices skyrocketed.. Then there's shit like the lack of an xbox emulator, making people more skiddish about blowing anywhere between 20-60(Depending on where you get it, Shipping for that beast is not cheap) + parts and/or the games.

Glad i grew up with the gamecube, back when gamestop would sell most of it's games for no more than 15, 20 bucks a pop(except twilight princess which never came down from 54.99) and flea markets had shit like the Pokemon coliseum bonus disc for a buck or Zelda Windwaker brand new for 20 bucks only a month after release.

Hell, even in 2014 i could get rare games that were sealed for

Gamecube is fucked twice over on game prices because of the hipster market and the fact that literally no one took care of the discs. Even common shit like Mario Sunshine is $40-50. Anything $20 and under is either shovelware or a good game scratched into oblivion and missing the case. Older consoles are a nightmare to collect ever since Twitch brought tons of hipster faggots with too much money into the market.

You're better off getting a better PC, using Dolphin, and pirating GC games. They can up to 30 to 40 dollars, and that's just used.

Run not can.

Well it's not like Xboxes are all that hard to find these days; at least where I live, you probably wouldn't even need to ship one in from somewhere.

I had a gamecube back when it was current, but was never allowed much for it at the time. Still, I at least had a handful of the games prior to Gamestop stopping stocking for it and prices shooting up, so I've played the game of finding stuff at reasonable/cheap prices. It's slow to build up a personal library of them, but the occasional nice find keeps me going, and I've rarely had to pay average price for much beyond Skies of Arcadia Legends and Lost Kingdoms II (the former has kept going up in price since then too), neither of which I see particularly often.

Yeah, I've seen that one average about $50-75 where I am. Only paid $30 for my copy a Christmas or two back.

On a related note, I saw a fucking Ouya while I was at a store tonight. I'm not sure what to be more shocked by: Someone around here actually bought it in the first place, or that the store even bought it from them.

Aside from a handful of games on each, the PS1, PS2, and Xbox are still pretty decent to pick up actual copies of games for; certainly not the same case as the Gamecube where mainstream, common as hell titles can be $40+. But yeah, I'd wager that kids that had various systems when they were young, or are looking to get into what they missed out on, and now have better access to money have fucked shit up.

Not sure where the other carrot in the link went; last part was aimed at .

It's not that xbox's are hard to find, i'm just afraid of what i'll find if i come across one judging by what the other consoles go for in my city, though i did come across one for 20 bucks with a ton of games that were a buck each.

That image opens upside down, but is that supposed to be $175 for a fucking NES? I think where I am they're about $40 at best (SNES has more demand and goes for about $70 or so last I saw). You're right though, sometimes stuff gets ridiculous. I know one place that asks $350 for used Vitas, and have been for years.

What kind of hellhole are you living in?

Get a Wii and softmod it to play gamecube backups instead of wasting time with the gamecube.

A very bipolar one, one where i can find a $25 snes game go for, like, 70, but i can get a copy of Super Mario Sunshine for 5 bucks.

Those games better be in prime fucking condition because that's way too much for 20 year old games.

It's odd. That particular store can ask way, WAY too much for some stuff, but way, WAY too low for other things. I'm not going to complain too much about the situation; I can get cheap systems elsewhere, and manage to score cheap vidya and anime on occasion at that place when they fuck up. Last Christmas season (I think, might have been the one before) was really good on the fuck up end of things.
I keep going back there for good reason. Plus, they have an ongoing 20% on a single item deal for doing post purchase surveys, which makes stuff even cheaper.

Wow, and I thought I did nicely finding a complete copy of Sunshine in great condition for $12.

The SNES and Gamecube both suffer similarly from big price hikes where I live. NES and N64, not so much. I haven't even bothered to drop money on an SNES or games for it at this point.

the gamecube was actually only faster than the PS2 at very simple 3D processing like T&L, pushing polys, and other generally simple calculations. Anything deformation, shader, or generally non-standard rendering (think by 1999/2000 standards) was ridiculously stupid to pull off on the gamecube and actually had you pulling off the processing on the cpu. Many developers had a horrendous time with this, such as the team behind the Burnout games. Even the dreamcast was more powerful than the wii in these cases.

Face it OP, the only Nintendo system that isn't extortionate to collect for is the Wii. Scalpers love that brand.

GBA and DS aren't too bad to pick up games for, at least cart only. As for complete copies though, it certainly doesn't help matters that the GBA had flimsy cardstock boxes, and Gamestop trashed a fuckload of cases, covers, and manuals to make space for mobile shit, reducing available complete copies and raising prices on a good bit of the library. Thankfully some companies have gotten around to doing reprints, helping keep at least some game prices lower.

Get a Wii, hack it, and put Nintendont on it.

Alternatively download Dolphin.

Final Fantasy: Crystal Chronicles is one of the comfiest games you will ever experience.

The downside is that multiplayer requires a Gameboy Advance and connector cable for each player. Even getting the most out of single-player requires at least one.

It's narrated by Donna Burke.

Sure glad that Namco didn't opt to go the "every player needs a GBA and a link cable" route for Tales of Symphonia, considering it's a JRPG with the option for co-op too.

emulation is for suckers, tho.

Dolphin is a GOAT emulator. Almost nothing wrong with it.

OP here. Was hoping to run Metroid Prime Trilogy but apparently that's the only main game that doesn't work!

Four Swords Adventure is another excellent c op that reqi
uires those GBA cables. Its worth it though.

A bit old, but this chart has plenty of games I think you'd like besides the ones listed in the thread.

PS2 Version looks unplayable. Know a guy who emulates the PS2 version because he's too lazy to download the GC iso.

OK, so can someone take me through step by step the best way how I can pirate and play wii and gamecube games on my wii?

Why would he go through this convoluted process when he can just mod a wii and play all his games from a USB? The last time I burnt a CD was for the Saturn and Dreamcast mate and even then there are still extremely pricey alternatives like SD or USB loaders.

See
Thats the guide I used. Modding shouldn´t take you more than 10 mins. Buy a compatible USB since the Wii is somewhat picky. Here´s an outdated list. The WD series work quite well. wiki.gbatemp.net/wiki/USB_Devices_Compatibility_List

Why though? SD cards have shit sizes compared external USB drives. I run everything from a 2TB WD (which I also use for my PS3), the only reason my Wii still uses an SD card is for loading hacks like Project M XP and stuff