/agdg/ + /vm/

Video games considered harmful edition.
Resources:
>>>/agdg/
>>>/vm/

Previously:

Other urls found in this thread:

steamcommunity.com/id/amigarules/home/
docs.godotengine.org/en/stable/classes/class_animationplayer.html?highlight=animation player
steamcommunity.com/id/amigarules
youtube.com/playlist?list=PLZ1b66Z1KFKik2g8D4wrmYj4yein4rCk8
mega.nz/#!MgdC0S5Y!Ef4ggzU18yX0JeTFrSY9xIsv6BB5crYypYQettlCmyk
youtube.com/watch?v=VHmN6KDUEXw
pastebin.com/5S3urvdw
msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/x53a06bb.aspx
msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/6a71f45d.aspx
msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/512aeb7t.aspx
hastebin.com/cowuducibo.cs
my.mixtape.moe/mackbo.mp3
gitgud.io/MicroTank/MicroTank/blob/master/Actor/Items/PodGrenades/Smoke.dec
gitgud.io/MicroTank/MicroTank/commit/3f0f2b5fe3ef951333d98d01dd993e802c0994a2
soundcloud.com/eirikj/sets/
licensing.jamendo.com/en/catalog/search
steamcommunity.com/id/furrets
textadventures.co.uk/games/view/q8rkrmkbn0g5sfxo0axdjq/heliacal-hostility
mirsoft.info/gmb/music_info.php?id_file=NDc4
mega.nz/#!TFk3HSqY!24NWUrW2yXgOE8zfZADZAgXcc4TB9IQAyTXEl1A_BOY
mirsoft.info/gmb/music_info.php?id_ele=MTE2OA==
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

You wish.

Posting this question again, just in case. We are the developers.

I have a question, about UV-Mapping. Let's say I want to have 5 different models using the same Texture what's the best way to do it?

So if I made a 1024x1024 texture space, should I leave 256^2/512^2 as a buffer or something?

Example of different models I would like to do in the future:

T-34/85
T-34 (1941)
T-34, Heavy
T-34, double barrel gun + skirt armor + 2x rocket launchers

No.

If any of you have a 386 / 486 / P1 / P2 computer please let me know and add me on steam if you can. I want to test my game on such a machine.

I didn't include my steam profile kek
steamcommunity.com/id/amigarules/home/
I only use it to chat with people, I don't have any games on this account, which sucks, cuz I can't send friend invites.

Time to update my tools. I can't recommend this shit enough if you want to generate normal or specularity maps for wall textures and shit like that screenshots aren't mine, they're ripped from the /agdg/ thread I found the tool from.

Thinking of adding looksway to the weapons while idle.

Pros:
- Looks neat
- Immersive!!!!!!1
- Code was already done by someone else so it'd be easy to implement
- Helps emphasize the feeling of movement

Cons:
- GONNA HAVE TO REDO EVERY SINGLE FUCKING WEAPON SPRITE TO ACTUALLY INCLUDE A PROPER BOTTOM

How many there is ?

Can't you just draw one onto the sprite's bottom or are you hitting a size limitation for Doom weapon sprites?

I'm an ideaguy that can sorta sketch, sorta make music, and a few people have said I'm good at making Doom wads. I want to start learning programming to start making a game, but I haven't the slightest idea of where to start. Should also mention that I understand programming in theory(operators, operands, if-then procedures, etc.), but lack a good resource to learn what to do. Ideally, I'd like to get in contact with a programmer that can teach me how. Don't know how I would repay you, though. The best I can offer is a sharing of ideas for interesting mechanics, settings, level designs, or maybe even writing a couple melodies that they can use in their own projects.

tl;dr, I'm a dumbass and want to learn programming. Where can dumbasses like me learn programming?

If you want to use Unity, learn C#. If you want to use Unreal Engine, learn blueprints. If you want to make 2d games, learn Godot's in-house python variant/ripoff.
Because you said you are a beginner you will get a game up and running faster if you use Godot instead of pretty much anything else. Next easiest would be Unity, then a sizable gap in ease of use, then Unreal Engine using C++, and then way in last place for ease of use, CryEngine.
Not quite sure where Unreal Engine using only Blueprints falls. Sometimes it's easier than Godot, sometimes it's harder than Unity.
Once you've decided on the kind of game you want to make and your engine, use a search engine and the provided tutorials and documentation.

It's not that it's difficult to do individually, it's just that there's…a lot of different sprites for all the states.

At the moment, there's over 210 weapon sprites, all that would need to be adjusted to be given a bottom.
Now, a majority of the sprites are placeholder so theoretically it's something that could be added in going forward, but it's still going to be a giant pain in the ass to adjust it all.

im almost done with the cooking system, this week will be the final debug release (asides from bugfixes)

Praise GNU!

If most of the weapon sprites are placeholders, you might as well keep the bobbing in the game and add weapon bottoms to the final sprites once you get to that stage since you're already redrawing them anyways.

Speaking as someone who commissions and buys off-shelf regularly, I hate it when artists pack few textures that are supposed to be assigned to multiple models.

I prefer to have multiple texture slots per model, because (in UE4 at least), I can tweak individual sections of a model for better shading. So what I would do is have models in the same category share the main UV maps, then each has an extra differentiated texture or two. The shared textures can also be further differentiated later on since I can hide decals when needed.

Why won't this play the right and left animations? It's not that there's an issue with the animations themselves, because if I set that to the default one (the one it has before it tries to move) it plays the way I want it to.

Probably because they're immediately being superseded by the up and down animation.

check if the animation you are going to play is not the same as the one you are already playing before assigning it otherwise you will be playing the first frame forever

Where would I start if I wanted to make a turn based strategy kind of like FF:Tactics, Fire Emblem, or Advance Wars?

Learn how to code.

Alright I have an odd question but I've been wanting to know for a while. How viable would it be to create a 3d rpg ps1 homebrew in the same vein as FF VII in this day and age? I mean really high profile, pre rendered backgrounds, multi disc, ff vii style models, moving around during cgi, fmv, and so forth? It's just something I've wondered. Like what if you were to recreate ff vii in this day and age but as a homebrew? Same cinematic style and story telling.

I can't figure out how to tell what animation is currently playing

Funny, I've been playing Parasite Eve again and thinking about how fun it would be to try and do a golden era Squaresoft style game. I wouldn't have any interest in doing it as a homebrew though. I don't even have a PS1 anymore, and even if I did I'd be more interested in how I could take advantage of modern tech than I would in limiting it to the old hardware. I would assume it's pretty viable though if you really wanted to.

One of you fucks should just hurry up and release a bethshit clone that doesn't crash every 5 minutes

That's on the same level of telling a single person to just liek make an MMO

Extremely doable, even with just a single developer and several outsourced artist help. It would just take a ridiculously long time.

No need for homebrew, just make it in Unity or UE4. Keep the 3D models low poly and use mocap. Making the backgrounds flat and pre-rendered would actually complicate things a bit – better just have handpainted textures… you can have the backdrop, skybox handpainted though if you really want it to feel like a painting.

blanda up with another user

Since fucking when?

Nah I wouldn't want to give that up. It's not that hard at all to deal with the depth sorting, which I'm assuming is the complication you're referring to. Like I said, I can't speak for other user, but what I'd want to do is try to take advantage of modern tech a little bit. And of course, the prerendered backgrounds existed as a way of making a good looking setting without hammering system resources. I think it would be really interesting to see what could be done for that style with higher res and pixel shaders, for example.

docs.godotengine.org/en/stable/classes/class_animationplayer.html?highlight=animation player

learn to use the docs

test

How do I deal with this dumb-ass shit my square is doing?

A picture of something I made for a client, is just a small piece of something a little bigger but I wanted to share.

fuck you faggot, i've already read through all that shit and it still doesn;t explain anything

protip: get_animation doesn't do anything but get an animation, it doesnt tell me what animation is playing

Gotta love when people ask for help and then shit on whoever tries to help them.
Have fun.

Shit, needed to crop the stuff, nickname is not important unless you wanna commission something.

In other news i got reflexions and cubemaps working in godot, why nobody told me about material shader graphs
next stop: tile floors and tile floor accessories

if someone sees the tilefloorfucker please tell him about the last remnant, it has the best tile floors

.get_current_animation( ) faggot

What's with TLR's footage?

mostly inspirational, its what I'm aiming for.

i have a meme gun

il fuck u up

I've been here for a while, bro.
I like 8ch's /agdg/, it's very dev-focused.

Fuckin A
Love your work man

why the fuck is my posting bugged

I remember when I was interviewed for work at Nintendo of America.
I got the job, but I went home so frustrated I even started doubting I had actually been hired.
I find anime tends to work better than games at times like these. Just find something nice to watch and glaze your eyes over, you'll detox with time.

What job you get, please say Treehouse that place needs a serious uncucking.

Because of generally stressing over it, or because of things that occurred during the interview?

Savage.

The Unreal Engine had multi texture support for ages, but things like Spring RTS engine doesn't have it at all which is limited to 1 diffuse texture per model fucking cunts. Only on GZDoom there is some flexibility added to it and thats it.

zdoom.org/wiki/MODELDEF

Also to get animated texture working on that piece of shit I would need to define the model defs again I tried to pack them before but nope it will refuse to work, so for much "flexibility".

Model MicroTankA1_Class{ IGNORETRANSLATION Path "MODELS\MicroTankA1" Model 1 "LightTankA1_Tracks.md3" Model 0 "LightTankA1.md3" Path "MODELS" Skin 0 "Atlas.png" Path "MODELS\Ketten" Skin 1 "StandardTrack_1.png" Scale 4.75 4.75 4.75 AngleOffset 0 FrameIndex MTA1 A 0 0}Model MicroTankA1_Class{ IGNORETRANSLATION Path "MODELS\MicroTankA1" Model 1 "LightTankA1_Tracks.md3" Model 0 "LightTankA1.md3" Path "MODELS" Skin 0 "Atlas.png" Path "MODELS\Ketten" Skin 1 "StandardTrack_2.png" Scale 4.75 4.75 4.75 AngleOffset 0 FrameIndex MTA1 B 0 0}Model MicroTankA1_Class{ IGNORETRANSLATION Path "MODELS\MicroTankA1" Model 1 "LightTankA1_Tracks.md3" Model 0 "LightTankA1.md3" Path "MODELS" Skin 0 "Atlas.png" Path "MODELS\Ketten" Skin 1 "StandardTrack_3.png" Scale 4.75 4.75 4.75 AngleOffset 0 FrameIndex MTA1 C 0 0}Model MicroTankA1_Class{ IGNORETRANSLATION Path "MODELS\MicroTankA1" Model 1 "LightTankA1_Tracks.md3" Model 0 "LightTankA1.md3" Path "MODELS" Skin 0 "Atlas.png" Path "MODELS\Ketten" Skin 1 "StandardTrack_4.png" Scale 4.75 4.75 4.75 AngleOffset 0 FrameIndex MTA1 D 0 0}

KURWA MACZ HOTWHEELS LET ME POST

Has any one tried Jimmy Vegas's tutorials? Are they a good place to start off from?

Just use else if, m9

Alright, then when you're UV-unwrapping, designate a sector that will remain constant. These vertices should be the ones that remain constant in all model versions.

Then for the differentiations, only highlight the unique vertices when unwrapping and move them to some corner.

Take care not to inadvertently move UV map faces that should remain constant. Should be easy in Blender.

I'm a coder and I need someone for brainstorming, so if you want, you can add me on steam and we can talk about stuff
>steamcommunity.com/id/amigarules

I was there for engineering work, not localization.
I don't work there anymore.
The feminists kicked me out, I seemed to have triggered them. Can't go into details on the full story concerning this, but it was some serious baloney, everyone I worked with thought it was wrong and still keeps in good touch with me. Just don't forget Allison Rapp and how long it took them to discharge her, look at other common SJW/company incidents, and use your imagination/head a bit, you won't be far off
I knew what I was signing up for when I applied to work at NOA, but even then it was far worse than I had ever imagined.
The whole place seems very cucked amongst all the various departments, probably all beyond saving, although there's some small pockets of hope here and there.

The way the interview went, yeah.
They had different people take turns interviewing me for many hours without any kind of break other than a brief restroom break.
Basically they try to grill you in hopes that if you're full of shit, it'll show under pressure.
It's a very frustrating experience, because their goal is to grill you, so nothing you say or do will appear to satisfy them.

Anyways I'm keeping my progress under wraps and this is off topic from the thread so let's not get too deep into this

Will it ever get better?

Yes. If you stop being a little bitch.

"Stop being X" wouldn't change anything though.

Depends on how willing you are to continue learning and re-learning.
You picked a programming language when you started- your choice was probably dictated by someone's recommendation and/or some elementary knowledge about differences between the various languages you figured out by googling around for five minutes.

It might be worth broadening your horizons by experimenting a bit with some other languages now, or even a different (potentially/hopefully better) approach to writing code for a language you already know.

Technology is powerful stuff in the right hands.
Someone's hands made that programming language you're using right now.
Were that person's hands the right hands?
To find out the answer to that question, you may need to try something new.

Programming is a constant process of learning- there's always new languages, new libraries coming out.
If you continue learning, you should eventually get to where you want to be.

If you want to get some work together I'd suggest joining some competitions/contests around the internet. It's a good way to have some initiative to actually output for some reason. Don't even necessarily have to enter them at first because it's just good direction.

I recommend reading The Pragmatic Programmer.

Alright thanks for your answer m8.

Holla Forums GAMEDEVS ARE THE BEST
KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK
I BELIEVE IN YOU

Thank you user.
I'll do my best.

And how often did you program within those 2 years? 3 times? And where did you learn it? Russian notepad youtube tutorials? Everyone should be able to decently program within weeks or few months at worst, especially because videogame logic is fairly easy to program.

just keep trying, but try different angles, different languages, different styles, etc…

Thanks user, won't disappoint you

I think you mean do. On several occasions I've gone from morning to night doing nothing but dev. Thing is I love doing it when I can get somewhere, but now that I actually need to do some advanced stuff to reach the minimum level of "modern" games it's all falling flat on it's face and I get completely stuck. Stuck until I give up and start over another time, and then repeat ad nauseum.

buy one off of craigslist or kijiji u faggot

I'M READY TO KILL !!
but there's nothing to kill….

I started coding in Autoit. Very simple scripting language with a GUI / Window creator, you can just drag n drop buttons, strings, fields etc. I made lots of small programs with it like generators (we were moding particular MMO game and we had to do a lot of mySQL queries on our own so I made lots of generators to help us) That game used LUA for quests and Python for some scripting on client side, so I had to learn at least a bit of these too. Now I mostly code in C++.

I'm in UK and I was looking for one for a long time, but holy shit, I just looked on Ebay again and there's Pentium 75 Hz laptop for 20 quid ! I gotta win it. These fags thing these old Pcs and laptops are some collectable item and put them for 100 pound or more…

Similar situation here. I've just got so much shit to do.
I will second this post though . Excellent book. It's about a zero-bullshit approach to software engineering. Whether it'll help you or not, depends on where exactly your problem lies, but it's well worth your time. Any programmer's time tbh.

T-Thanks. The question is: Will this thread end up being as gay as the last #gg thread.

Thanks chum, I will try to make muh mod as gud as I can.

Having moments when you get stuck and you want to smash your keyboard because it doesn't work, is completely normal, especially if you are a bingecoder from morning till night, and the more shit you feel, the less you learn. Always when you get stuck have a pause or do something else for a while.

At least that's my wonder-workflow. I always code till it's annoying, then i switch over to modeling until it's annoying and i go back to coding in a tandem or taking a 1-2 hour break, and often i re-read the stuff i want to learn before switching to it, because it's easier to learn with a clear mind or while having fun. Also i like to combine stuff i already learned with advanced stuff.

Imagine eating your favourite dish every single day, and after a month you are about to puke so you would like to eat something else, it's kinda like that. Never give up completely on something, just put it aside for a short while and do something else, and then return.

I've been following his (what he calls) Teal series on Unity for Beginners. I don't know how well it teaches you about scripting in Unity but I'm going to find out right now because I'm at the first episode that deals with scripting(Episode 6).
The first 5 episodes of this series are just learning about Unity's interface, how to place and manipulate game objects, importing and applying textures, using the terrain game object to make more natural looking landscapes. Most things that don't require scripting and also doesn't cover importing and applying sound effects(but you need scripts to get sound effects to work so it's almost the same subject matter).
tl;dr - I'm enjoying it and I feel like I'm learning more in a more expedient amount of time.
Playlist Link: youtube.com/playlist?list=PLZ1b66Z1KFKik2g8D4wrmYj4yein4rCk8

Update: He uses Javascript, do not use his videos for learning script because C# is the only scripting language you should for Unity if you want to make something that isn't just a shitty browser or mobile game.
That's a shame because I actually liked his stuff. Oh well, Sebastian Lague is the next one on my list of tutorials to try and follow, he's been pushed in earlier /agdg/ threads. Thankfully it's in the title that he works in C# so no worries there.

no idea but i wanna do gaystuff with anyone that knows the Pragmatic Programmer.

Make mods breh.

Who the fuck made that matrix of "harmful things?" I wish to punch them until either the bones in their face or my hand break.

GOD DAMN I WISH I WAS A NEET AGAIN SO I COULD WORK ON MY GAME ALL DAY LONG

cat-v.org
the guy that originally made it has since comitted suicide.

good

Guess it's time to learn more about the .b3d format and hope it supports per-vertex animation too.

You just posted cropped futa so it's already faggotty enough as-is.

Welcome to the magical world of cat-v. I'd like to avoid harmful software in the future but for now I'm using Irrlicht until I know more about engine design.

Are you serious? On second thought. Don't answer that question.

. . .

a e s t h e t i c

Reminds me of Burrito Galaxy, nice.

Could be better, but I'm laaaaaaaazy
Here's the mentioned COPPER MASTER demo !!!

Good riddance.

I know, right ?
The following packages will be REMOVED libmodplug1 vlc vlc-noxThe following NEW packages will be installed libmodplug1:i386
That's what I get for not reading everything

Speaking of Linux audio, was setting Jack up painless for you? I tried installing it while using an external soundcard several years ago and couldn't get it working despite following guides, dunno if it would just werk now that I'm using standard motherboard audio instead.

I'm on a laptop, I didn't have to do anything to have sound.

M8, what? Depends on which distribution you have

I do all my linux dev on manjaro now. dpkg and its clan is a joke.

I adore the Amiga demoscene style, please don't abandon this project, since whatever it is I'll probably play it. Do you use shaders for the scanline effects? Or do you blit everything?

It's all software rendered in 256 colors, I plan on porting this to a real DOS / Win95 machine (Pentium 1 75-166 Mhz), but I don't have such a computer yet to test it. I didn't thought about scanlines or anything yet, we'll see how it goes.

Nevermind then, the software synthesizers and trackers I'm looking into support plain ALSA anyways.

It doesnt work

I want to learn this shit for my next game. It's too fucking radical

Oh for future reference, look into libxmp-lite. It doesn't depend on SDL.

Just use else if, m8

Yo, memester. Bruh.

and

Mentally step through the logic in your conditionals, fam.

or just learn how to use a debugger

wat

deltaX = terroristpos.x - global.playerpos.xdeltaY = terroristpos.y - global.playerpos.yif abs(deltaX) > abs(deltaY): if deltaX > 0: //your animation code for Right else //Leftelse if deltaY > 0: //Up else //Down
That should take care of the problem mentioned. But no idea why it wouldn't play any of them, I don't use Godot.

stuff included in my webm is quite basic. If you wanna talk about shit like this you can add me on steam
steamcommunity.com/id/amigarules

You dense, dense nigger. You have two if-else blocks. The second block orders happens right after the first one, so only those happens. Write your code so this does not happen.

I had the same reaction at first, but take a closer look, read the quotes, learn from the experience of others. Complexity in software is something that always come back to bite you in the worst possible moment.
Designing a simple, yet effective software is harder than to pile up layer over layer of cruft and call the day.
Once you learn to design software that does one thing and does it well and are capable of working together with others you'll unlock the benefits of programs that last really long, can be used in many situations and won't give you headaches when it's time to port.
Also, make sure to take a look at suckless.

Trying to make a mod for ZDoom, it's pretty interesting. I'm using SLADE to make my own custom weapon, but I figured I should ask before I go too far:

Is it possible to override an existing Action Function in ZDoom? I want to override A_FireBullets for example.

Pic only related to Doom - the map "Breach" is fucking awesome

Demoscene aesthetic is my jam.

Nope.
With the new coding branch ZScript, you can make your own action functions, but that's in extremely early beta and isn't maintained by people that believe in documentation.

I have some WebGL code which I know a number of bugs of, and have a missing feature for which I can't figure out how to cleanly include.
What do?

Search engines aren't magic, so I can't just look up very specific problems.

Oh damn. I've been looking at the code for DoomRLA and wondering why there's a bunch of different fire functions in the DECORATE scripts, apparently one for each combination of mods. Basically my idea is to have a mod that you can apply to any weapon, which changes hitscans into fast-moving projectiles. The hope would be that you could use it with someone else's weapon mod and it'd just drop in without having to build a compatibility patch.

Maybe I'll look at the code for DoomRPG and see how they implemented variable fire rates based on agility, but it looks like the mod is way more complicated than other ones.

This makes me happy.

On a slightly related subject.
Is anyone here actually capable of creating decent sound effects?

It seems that sound design is one of the few subjects for which there's virtually no good learning resources…Plus the quality of your effects are more often than not limited by the size of your wallet (the quality of mic you can purchase).

That was WAY more entertaining than I thought it would be.

More like limited by the sample library you have to mix new stuff, most people I've met don't record their own shit.

I have a bunch of problems with this WebGL thing: mega.nz/#!MgdC0S5Y!Ef4ggzU18yX0JeTFrSY9xIsv6BB5crYypYQettlCmyk
One of the ones I'd really like to fix is that when the camera is rotated, the view seems to orbit rather than rotate, and I can't figure out why.
More specifically, I'd say that the view orbits a point at a distance of 1 unit when you rotate it.

There's a text file which points out some of the important places in the code.

freesound.org

Search for Creative Commons 0 (public domain)

Edit to your hearts content.

You tell me, do you think you can make sounds like this through your method?
youtube.com/watch?v=VHmN6KDUEXw

You make sound effects sound simple, but I think the professionals are doing a bit more than you may think.
Of course, Nintendo takes a large number of samples from sample libraries such as Distorted Reality, but how did the creators of DR make their stuff? (I've read how they did it, but it was using analog tech. How do people do it today digitally?)

Forgot to embed, sry…

Just to elaborate a bit more…

Sound Effects are a broad topic.
There's sounds like footsteps, for which recording a foot actually stepping on surfaces with a mic makes the most sense. The specifics of what kind of tricks can be used to make certain sounds isn't necessarily well documented, but it's really a matter of going around like a creep with a mic, recorder, and monitoring headphones and experimenting.

But then there's sounds like what you hear in Distorted Reality, and I'm not sure if I really know the tools of the trade to be working with when trying to create sounds like that.

maybe the answer is just "any good DAW".
But I wanted to see if you all had some thoughts on this sort of thing.

FL Studios' Sytrus synthesizer has a ton of this kind of sounds in, you can tweak the settings and know exactly how it was accomplished.

when i attempt to make music i use openmpt

I will finally finish the cooking system this weekend
next step is faerie village
then integration between both as a minigame feature demo
then i will start designing the characters for the crowdfunding campaign

When you say 'faerie village', does that involve any NPCs, or just the environment?

it will be a better version of the Breath of Fire 3/4 faerie village

faeries are randomly generated, they are not proper NPCs, you assign them to jobs, in this version they will gather ingredients for you and you cook for them

You sure you're not instructing the objects to move/rotate rather than the camera?

I'm pretty sure, but if you probably know better than me, you could check how the transformation matrix is constructed; the line and file where that process starts is pointed out in the notes.

I need to make it so that things cant see through walls in Godot but I don't even know where to start with that. I'm using a collision shape to detect things ("see" them), am I on the right track?

I've never used raytracing before, but a good system if you can figure out a bounding box for stuff would be to see if any of the vertices of the bounding box that are inside the collision shape can be raytraced to.

Cool shit.

So people have told me that once I get a basic grip on coding in Unity and finish this tutorial series that I should start exploring the documentation. Is this in fact a good idea?

r8 my "low-poly" famas

Which tut series?
What have you done thus far?
If I know I'd be able to better point you in the proper direction.

That's ok… But it's best to have a desired goal in mind for why you're browsing the docs in the first place, or else it's just vague information with no association so its way more difficult to really memorize the information.
F.e. a goal of understanding the physics system, and the collider system.
Thus, you figure out a mini project (hopefully one you can use later, for what u wanna make), and maybe find a tut or two as a shooting off point.
After that, and getting the basic feel for it, look over the unity docs (non-scripting first to understand the system itself), and then explore various parts of said system(s) like the components n such while harnessing them for said purpose.
Don't be afraid to look at the plethora of examples out there on the unity community wiki, and github as a type of intro for where to go next -i.e.if you get stuck, etc- or even where start.

However it must be said that it's best to have at least an intermediary grasp of the language you're using before diving into the engine with the language. As it can save you a lot of frustration, and re-coding later on once you get to said level of knowledge.

it's pronounced foo-maus

I want to make a sub-mod for a Mount and Blade Warband mod, and I know absolutely nothing about modding the game. What is the best tool, and does it work on WINE?

Back again. R8 my Anaconda. 760 poly makes it my most "intensive" weapon to date. Then again I only ever did the 500 poly or less shit for challenge.

r8, h8, masturb8

I'm not sure how much I'm enjoying timelapses. Maybe I'll get fast enough at it, but having to scrub through recorded footage and cutting out pieces where I do something else is a bit annoying. At least it's a motivator to do more art.

Any particular reason you're keeping your polycount low? Is it to maximize performance or is to recreate the look of early 7th gen weapon geometry?

Mimic trauma makes the looping of that gif really scary for me.

Do you do animations too or do you stick to modeling?

Is there a better crack for Maya LT or should I just pony up the cash for a subscription?

I knew how to make a basic arithimetic calculator in C# before jumping into Unity. How much frustration am I in for?

Anyone able to help with this?
This is the only place I know where I can get WebGL advice, that isn't a 10-post-a-day forum which won't even let me post links or images.

Also, the other problem with it is that at some angles, you can see tetrahedrons through the plane.

I'm able to solve neither problem I'm having, my code all looks fine to me.

I can't run your project and I know shit of webgl so I'm taking a shot in the dark here.
Do you have both a spring arm and a camera boom attached to your player-camera?

GO HOME STALLMAN

I'd just like to interject for a moment; what you're referring to as "Stallman", is in fact, "shitposting/Stallman", or as I've recently taken to calling it, "shitposting plus Stallman".

Also repostan my previous guns since the thread died before I could get opinions on them. R8, h8, masturb8.

Partially for performance maximizing, but mostly for challenge. I want to see if I can make make a model resemble it's reference with as little resources as possible. Sadly, revolvers tend to be be innately poly-intensive due to all of the moving parts and faces you can't remove to save polys. It's all fine though. From what I've seen with texture mods in games like Quake and Jew Vegas, a great texture can do wonders for a low-poly model.

I'd like to learn animating, but I feel that's a bit of a leap ahead. Once I master modelling, I want to learn texturing. I already more or less get how UV unwrapping works, but eventually I want to pop open a copy of photoshit and make my own textures. Or is animation easier to learn than texturing? I'm going to learn both either way, but I'm curious.

Aight Boyz,

I got an issue that I think is with memory management that's driving me crazy. You guys have helped me out in the past and I'm looking for some help now. I'm using SFML's classes.

I have Animations (ie: vectors of sprites) in Another Vector AnimatedSprites.
So a vector of vectors.

The issue i've encountered is that my GameEntity Object (that holds a pointer to the SpriteSheet / Texture) that holds onto the AnimatedSprite adds all the animations correctly and then immediately after it clears itself out.

I've verified with the vector.size method to see it goes from 0-1-2-3-4 in size before going right back to 0 needless to say when I call upon a method to set a frame im getting memory out of bounds error.

If i utilize the global variable in my Game.cpp it doesn't delete.

Is my instance of the AnimatedSprite in the Game Entity being cleared out? I used Pointers for the other aspects of it and they're set up as global variables (SpriteSheet and texture's can be re-used)

Here's my code

pastebin.com/5S3urvdw

To clarify, Im almost 100% it is being cleared out. How do I keep that piece of the Game Entity class "alive" without it clearing out without defining it as a global variable in my main class?

Or am I shit out of luck?

Texturing can be pretty easy if you do a good job unwrapping your UV's. Though you will probably want to get some software that lets you paint a texture directly onto your model.
Animation isn't hard, just really time consuming when you start out. There's a lot of trial and error in making an animation look nice before you build up a feel for how to do it. When starting out, animating rigid mechanical objects is easier than animating things that require organic movements like people, animals, cloth, etc. though for some things like cloth and hair you might be able to get away with simulating it, baking the simulation, and refining it to better fit what you need. Also a huge part of animation is standing on the shoulders of giants, so go read The Illusion of Life and The Animators Survival Kit, or at the very least learn about the 12 Principles of Animation and how those apply to what you're trying to do.
Like with anything on the computer, it's about hard work, patience, and getting familiar with your tools so that you can get maximum use out of your knowledge and creativity.

I'm rusty but I'm reasonably sure it's because you aren't actually passing anything back out of addAnimationsAutomatically()
As far as I can tell, you're creating the vector within that function and it's falling out of scope as soon as the function finishes running. You don't necessarily have to make that variable global, but it does need to be created outside of that function and passed to it.

Oh man I hope I'm doing this right. That method should be calling its classes function addAnimation(vector )
and adding it to the class's vector of vectors

So that _animated_sprites variable should already be good to go right?

If that's what you were trying to add it to, yeah.
Keep in mind you can't actually pass a whole array(or vector) into a function to edit it wholesale. You either have to put your loop logic outside the function and call it for each element, or pass a pointer to the first element into the function and run the loop inside it that way. I'd recommend the first option, yes, there are some advantages to the second but it also opens up a world of opportunities for memory issues.

Yo don't worry too much about releasing shit on Patreon I only paid for development costs and munchies anyway

I see what you're saying now about add(Animation), I missed it on the first read.
I have to ask, why build a whole other vector in a function in order to call addAnimation? Why not just call addAnimation itself in a loop?

Just re-usability of code I guess. Old habits from college classes.

But I think I get what you're saying. I think the vector im passing (because its created in that function) is dying at the end of it, yes? And since assigning a vector to another is just a pointer the actual data is lost and im left with an empty array?

I THINK so but I'm honestly not sure.
If that is what it is, you should be able to fix it by dereferencing the pointer _anim in addAnimation. Again, I think. Sorry if that's wrong.

I don't remember if an user proposed it but I remember having this guide to making certain sound effects when recording. Search for "epicsound guide", it's more of a small guide for how to replicate certain sound effects using real life items or certain techniques. Don't know if it's good but feel free to check it out.

thats kind of hypnotizing

No Dice :(

I've tried this every which way, the only way i've been able to get it to work is with the global variable in the Game.cpp file it looks like that keeps the data alive until it closes (which is at the end of the game).

I'm gonna have to take this back to the drawing board and do some research.

There shouldn't be one.
Also, why can't you run it?
It should pop up with messages giving you instructions.

breddy gud

Wouldn't that game have some sort of wiki page for it? (no not the jewpedia one), I bet you would be able to find some if you would search for "Mount and Blade Warband modding tutorial" or something like dat.

Damn, I really thought that should do it.

Install Blendoo

They're not joking when they say that 90% of MMOs today are basically Diku clones.

ok i think i figured out what you're doing wrong theres no issue with the way you define the vector
in c++ vectors are passed by value meaning they are copied so thats not the issue
anyway i noticed getAnimatedSprite() returns a value and not a pointer now the actual implementation isn't in the code you posted but function should probably return a pointer
so when you call getAnimatedSprite() it returns a copy of the animated sprite instead of the actual animated sprite in GameEntity at least that's what i think it is.

isn't your "game" just a doom mod?

Gonna repeat this question here: I knew how to make a basic arithimetic calculator in C# before jumping into Unity. How much frustration am I in for?

what do you mean make?
like C# already is a basic arithimetic calculator every language is what did you actually do?

why does the small chest have two opening animations?
Or is it that the shaking one gives something diferent?

Hmm, I'll try this when I get home from work later today. If this works, I'll make you into a character in my game.

Same to you because you've been helping me out :)

I'm barely done putting my animations so far in the game and my girl already has an infinite. I'm so proud.

When I was taught Python in college 5 years ago, one of our tasks was to make a calculator UI, involving use of a stack to solve things, etc.

right ok so you made a UI if thats all you've done probably a lot of frustration
I would recommend you spend a little time learning the language a little better first

That guy's dick must be so sore after so many uppercuts.

I like to recommend C# operators and keywords as required reading, just so they know the basic language features

msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/x53a06bb.aspx
msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/6a71f45d.aspx
msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/512aeb7t.aspx

Poor guy probably doesn't even have a working dick in the first place.

ATATATATATATATATATATATATATATATATATATATATATATATATATATATATATATATATATATATATATATATATATATATATATATATATATATATATATATATATA

you are pretty good

The second combo is easier than the first. All you have to do is hold up and mash the punch button.

I'm pretty sure actually when you do something like
class Game
{
int getVariable() { return variable;}

int variable = 0;
}

calling getVariable() will create a copy of variable so not the actual variable in the class

Well that won't actually do anything because it's not public.

But yes, int is a struct, which has value-type semantics, so a copy is always provided (unless you use ref/out, but unless you're framework tier, it's almost always a bad design decision)

Sorry I had to autism about value vs reference types and struct vs classes
hastebin.com/cowuducibo.cs

yes that is true
You should use getters to read value and setter to write values
Anyway i think the whole thing is pretty much a waste of time I just declare everything public and acces the members directly saves me a lot of time and effort

some quality comments right here

Is it more efficient to have only one matrix going into a vertex shader?
I can see no reason for two.

Yeah, the pass by references thing was my bad, I'm used to C and how it passes arrays and data structures built on them as references by default.
I haven't actually written C++ or C# in some time. Gotta brush up on my vectors, too.

If I hypothetically wanted to implement pc-98 graphics in my hypothetical vydia what the fuck I should hypothetically do?

You should hypothetically learn how to make good pixel art, pixel art so good that if you saw it from a distance you won't know it was pixel art. Use a tool that restricts your color pallet to what can be achieved with 32 bits. Or 16 bits if you want to aim for the lower end version of the PC-98.
Also learn how dithering works and how to use it in place of gradients, use looping animations with relatively few frames at a relatively low frame-rate, and avoid having to rotate your sprites wherever possible.

I'm making a farming game and I just had a thought to make it hex-based rather than square

Is this a stupid idea? I thought it would make things look more unique

Hex-based means you wouldn't be able to move left or right.
…Which is why it tends to be reserved for turn-based strategy games.

Just the placement of objects on the farm, not character movement

If that's it then you're in for quite a bit of frustration.
I'd recommend taking an online course, or something similar covering all of the flagship features of C# (which is, in general, the same for most languages just syntax is different), and producing a lot of sample code to learn those features.
So… things like the difference between value/reference data types including keywords/syntax for passing said data types, classes/structs and building related methods, getters/setters, mutable/immutable data structures, stacks/queues/arrays/lists/linked lists/etc, operators including bit operators (use them for micro-optimizations), namespaces/includes, and all the little details that they'll cover will save you a lot of frustration.

Even then there's quite a bit more to the language, and I'm still learning a lot after multiple years of using C#.
I'm currently learning metaprogramming, and all that goes with that which is pretty interesting. It's heavily used by Unity, and has a lot of interesting potential uses for gamedev.
So, there will always be more to learn, but once you become competent in the language you'll be able to use it to the extent you understand the language; which with the above mentioned knowledge will be to a competent extent.

Also I'd like to recommend the site, dotnetperls, as a good repository of information (better than the microsoft docs, that's for sure).
They don't cover everything to a great extent, but they do give succinct information on a particular feature without the fluff of the microsoft docs.
Although, the C# microsoft docs are always there if you need a more thorough bout over the information.

What is the best way to get started with graphics? DirectX or OpenGL? My main focus is on physics custom physics simulations + visualizations. Is win32 easier or should I use glfw or sdl?

2botnet4me

GLFW and SDL are abstraction mechanisms for lower level subsystems like windowing and events (both), and a bunch of other stuff (SDL). I'd recommend OpenGL simply because it works on everything, and from what you say you want to do, working on Linux and OSX would be a big benefit. GLFW and SDL look to only support OpenGL contexts, so you'd need something else for Direct3D.

I recommend the OpenGL SuperBible (also known as the OpenGL Blue book) for how to get started. The physics component is not related to the graphics component except for the glue code you need to write, but there's a number of options for that as well. I like the Bullet physics engine, but most should be able to do what you want, especially if it's just rigid body dynamics you want.

Getting started? Probably neither. Both are fairly low-level and complex for a beginner, and if you start with one of the two, expect to be able to produce nothing more complex than a couple triangles on screen after a few hours of work, and maybe a few spheres after a week at it (depending on your current familiarity with graphics pipelines).
If you're definitely set on lower-level 3D graphics, I'd always recommend OpenGL if only for the cross-platform use and portability, but it's more up to preference and what materials you can find.
GLFW is best if you're doing OpenGL. It's built around getting a window with an OpenGL context up with as little fuss as possible. It's very good, and damn good across multiple platforms. The input handling is pretty nice as well.

Is there any disadvantage to GLFW on windows vs win32? I have an entire month to fuck around with it and git gud.

Probably not, it handles creating the window, making an OpenGL context, and giving you an OpenGL viewport to see what you render. It also handles getting input events such as keyboard key presses, mouse button presses, and mouse movement.

It does give you the advantage of a program using it can be compiled for Windows, OSX, and Linux without needing to fuck around with windowing systems though.

Didn't mean to sage.

Speebot dev here, still learning sound design and practicing music… Here's a song I made yesterday (won't be used in Speebot): my.mixtape.moe/mackbo.mp3

Critique please?

Everything in your song is loops.
That's OK, I guess- I like some good trance at times.
But the key you're in never changes, and there's just not enough changing in the melody to really keep me interested.

If you want to keep most of the repetition/looping while being infinitely more interesting, I'd recommend you check out HSP's works, and listen to what he does to make endless repetition interesting.

way too slow
listen to a professional for inspiration

The triangle is too clean, wide and static. It sounds like it should be a background element at low volume, or have a more interesting sound and melody to it.
The repetition at the beginning and end can work, but I'd expect it to go in a slightly different direction in the middle. Whatever part starts at around 1:25, with the bass going G-F-G-D. Going back to G in the middle makes it sound like it's not going anywhere.

Very helpful, thank you.

Feeling inspired already.

Thank you. Are there any examples where a triangle sounds good in the foreground?

Gay sex?

I think you could just make it not be a sustained note and mess with the dynamics to give it some life, or with tremolo and a slight vibrato and give a more flutey, bell-like sound.
Right now it just sounds like an overprocessed and boring tone, rather than an instrument, if that makes any sense.

Kind of hard to think of any examples where it's distinct. Even in chiptunes, folks tend to use triangles as a more bassy soun or just staccato accents, more rarely as a flute.

Just have to do a final bugcatching check and re-do all template recipes in the book (changed many base food atributes and the recipe hashes no longer match) and i will be releasing the FINAL VERSION of the cooking system demo
Then im starting the faerie village and i will integrate both

Obviously, you shouldn't pass multiple matricies when one will do. If all you use is the MVP, then compute it from CPU and pass it wholesale. Otherwise you'll be re-computing it for each vertex shader invocation. However, some stuff requires separate matricies, like lighting. I'd recomend passing everything you need and not worrying about how many uniforms you got. They're literally the cheapest part and you can disregard them entirely. The only time they're a concern is if you're doing hardware skinning, in which case you might run out of register space. But that's the only thing.

Jesus man as soon I use the supplies pod grenade and it hits the ground any other players get 1k ping for this shit. Just fuck my shit up fam.

Same shit happens with the regular smoke pod grenade.

gitgud.io/MicroTank/MicroTank/blob/master/Actor/Items/PodGrenades/Smoke.dec

Loops?

It doesn't matter now as I fixed it, either it was a fuck up by the item itself or the projectile A_Userx duration. The loop itself is not a problem as I am using it heavily for other projectiles such as Incendiary Shell fire and the Anthrax Gas Canister. I need to fix the Smoke Grenade that way soon enough then it is gud for now.

gitgud.io/MicroTank/MicroTank/commit/3f0f2b5fe3ef951333d98d01dd993e802c0994a2

I tested it by hosting a server and starting 2 clients and then using the command "connect localhost" do all the stuff which caused the issue and then trouble shooting it, after a while I approximately found the problem changed some lines and tested again after doing it the lag spike issue did not appear anymore.

I feel the opposite way… Dotnetperls feels like you can only reach a topic if you happen to get linked to it from the right page, it feels very web 1.0 to me. MSDN is a fucker to navigate but "C# msdn topic" will usually get you hits

If you have issues finding a specific topic… just use on google:
site:dotnetperls.com "insert search term here without quotes, or with quotes for only pages with this exact phrasing"

Who wants to see Holla Forums in a game?

Neat.
How is everything coming together?

I'm too retarded to get it to work but that's not my main problem right now. I am trying to draw a line (under func _draw()) to see the ray that is being cast but when I try to draw it, it says
I couldn't find anything called canvasitem so I'm using control

>>>/agdg/28285
COOKING SYSTEM FINAL VERSION RELEASED
Time to start working on the Faerie Village
I will start using a tripcode inside these threads, because i post from many different devices

What theme exactly are you aiming for? Synth Wave? House? IDM? Trance? EDM? What emotion are you trying to evoke? If you want to listen to songs that get away with being fairly repetitive while changing enough to remain interesting the first two items in this list should give that to you. The next three are dubstup, which can also be fairly repetitive while remaining interesting. The next three are masters of their domain in the genre that it sounds like you are going for. The rest are just electronic albums in different genres that you would do well to listen to.

Krafterwk - Trans-Europe Express
Daft Punk - Homework

Skream - Skream!
The Bug - London Zoo
Horsepower Productions - In Fine Style

Magic Sword - Volume 1
Lazerhawk - Redline
Perturbator - I Am The Night

Boards Of Canada - The Campfire Headphase
Aphex Twin - Selected Work '85 - '92 and Richard D. James album
Anything from Tangerine Dream
Prodigy - Fat of the Land
Justice - Cross
Pendulum - Hold Your Color
The Glitch Mob - Drink the Sea
Infected Mushrooms - Amry of Mushrooms
Igorrr - Nostril and Hallelujah (similar to , but not terribly close. Is probably closer to something like Nero's Day At Disneyland - From Rotting Fantasylands)
Porder Robinson - Worlds

inb4 "your music taste is shit."
And of course listen to good music outside of just electronic music. Personally I think your song has an alright base, but it doesn't sound cohesive and the buildup/payoff doesn't really build up or pay off.

Fast doesn't always equal good/better. That just means you like fast music. There are good electronic songs that aren't fast, vid related.

Looks really good

Speaking of music, how much would cost a single soundtrack of 2~3 minutes that loops into itself? Im saving money for artists and musicians and would like to know what the prices are for freelancers and such

wow now this is cancer

Sage negated!

Depends on the musician. A composer, who works on a game, reached out to me to thank me for an open source Unity asset that greatly helped them. I asked him about that and his response was this:

He's a professional though. Wrote and produced songs for pop artists from various countries and eventually switched to making game OSTs. Here are some free samples: soundcloud.com/eirikj/sets/
I especially like his "Atmospheric Orchestra" collection. You can tell that this guy really knows his shit. That's some top notch quality right there.
He also gave me his entire library for free.

I don't know, I've never bought any music from someone. I would imagine it would be different depending on who you get. Just find as many people on soundcloud and bandcamp who make music you like and talk to them about making a looping song for your game, and see what they charge.
Searching around I found licensing.jamendo.com/en/catalog/search which lets you buy music licences, however they aren't custom made for your game, they can be pretty expensive, and there's not grantee that you'll be able to get them to loop.

These are very good, but none match the theme of my game (relaxing, comfy, upbeat, cheerful)
also 400$ per song is more than i can afford for now, maybe i should leave this for when i manage to have a successful indiegogo campaign…

i really want custom made, the music is the second most important aspect of a game (gameplay 1st) and i really need songs that won't get old or annoying when looped 20~30 times since the character is likely to stay in one area for a long time

I just wish i could just use the entire BoF3 ost, this shit is fucking godly
knowing crapcom they would charge a fortune per song if they would even agree to sell any

That's exactly how I'll do it. Crowdfunder once I have a demo (to prove that I can deliver. Crowdfunding campaigns based on hopes and dreams suck.)

Anyone here hates 3d modeling ?

I'm so adverse to learning it, that I'm making simple geometry with programming and primitives by hand

Can you even animate it ?

The only downside I have right now is that changing perspective is blocked somehow and even if it works the turret model is still rendered.

And no I am not going to push it into my main repo or w/e till I get permission from him, if not well what a shame m8.

Not even slightly. I don't even lighting. The flicker is just fucking with the fog distance. Thanks XNA

Oh you're that guy !
What do you plan on doing with that engine ? Are you just trying to get good ?

I want to clone pic related
This shitty dungeon crawler was my childhood, and unlike half my other abandoned projects, is actually small enough in scope

Do you want it to be exactly like this game or do you plan on modernizing it a little like vid related ?

I hate this part when you are implementing the base part of the mechanic and you can't just slap the UI together to see the results yet and instead have to test with debug mode/console outputs

Test

tripcode goes after the name
name##password

Well looks like my big post didn't go through for some reason.

I would like to modernize it. I enjoy that it's unforgiving but it's also quite obtuse and "unique" in the way it handles some of its mechanics and scaling

For

There is one called Mordor XP that has been in development hell for a decade or longer. Still sometimes shows signs of life.

I just realised why my camera in WebGL seems to orbit, but I can't figure out a clean way of fixing it.
Everything needs to be one unit closer to the camera, but I don't want to write that into the vertex shader, and for some reason if I try put it into the projection matrix is has a totally unexpected result.

I was briefly on the dev team for that about 8 years ago. I should still have CVS credentials, but I can't even remember the state of the last build or if it will run on Windows 7 or 10, it's been that long since any work was done on it

What about the world matrix?

It's not my forte, I'm not a professional, but I've studied and practiced enough that I can get the job done without a headache, although I do procrastinate a bit at times.

If you're frustrated, chances are you lack some knowledge or experience to get the job done.
Is your understanding of topology (triangles vs. quads vs. n-gons and when to use them, poles, all-quad junctions, etc.) solid?
Are you relying on your reference images too much? Reference images usually aren't perfect (drawings are imperfect, photos have perspective taken into account, they're not orthographic), and to get your model looking sharp you may need to deviate from them to a certain extent.
Finally, are you constantly rotating your model while you work on it, or do you view the model from only one or two angles for too long? (This advice comes from the guy who made the Golem model for Lord of the Rings- the human eye is very good at perceiving issues in your model's shape, but only if you give it enough viewing angles to determine the true positions of your vertices.)

How would I do that?

Nevermind, I just did a camera translation.

he impregnated his mother?

Fag

Duh, don't you remember WV was annexed by the CSA in 1892?

Buy a new PS4 on Amazon.

Replace new PS4 with old PS4.
Return your old PS4 stating that they sent you an obviously used one that doesn't even work.

Get refunded

Profit

WoW doesn't have nearly that much. But it's not like it matters that much. XIV's subs aren't even at a million but it's still got a good player base.

D*sney is a blight on everything it touches. There were some dark times under Lucas but I never thought it would get so bad.

Gives me an excuse to check out 40k now that SW is dead, though.

it looks terrible seriously

Being primarily a drawfag is shit, man.I have minimal experience with programming The last time I took it 'seriously' was during CompSci class in High School using Visual Basic.
GODOT is a young engine so there's not a lot of tutorials for an absolute beginner like me to learn via handholding until I get a good grasp of the language to start experimenting.

You'd probably be fine using GM for a while, from what I hear GM2 is still really barebones.
Being purely an artfag is worse. I don't even have anything to work on.

bui here

please erp with me as klonoa with stinky paws and i'll stop :3

my discord is Bui#3468
steam steamcommunity.com/id/furrets
you must have a cute klonoa avatar or i won't add you~

yeah, this one
i made it six years ago
textadventures.co.uk/games/view/q8rkrmkbn0g5sfxo0axdjq/heliacal-hostility

Testing if i can post

GOD DAMN IT i filled 9 captchas for this fucking post

Added Faerie Village base frame, i decided to use this format instead of tabs because there are only 2 screens

bui here

my discord is Bui#3468

The German version of this show's theme was much more hype

bui here

my discord is Bui#3468

Malayy lmao this shit is broken as fuck

bui here

my discord is Bui#3468

bui here

my discord is Bui#3468

One job

ONE FUCKING JOB

Pretty cool isn't it? There's actually a more reliable counter that starts the same way but does more damage, don't have a webm of it though and kinda want to keep the tech obscure for at least a while (not that it's easy enough to become commonly used anyway).

making the coolest shotgun from my favorite game designers as a model :^)
how do you cut holes into a model while keeping nice topo? manually using the knife tool?

How big is the clip?

about 50 rounds in the secondary clip for the magazine bolt of the tokarev gun shaft and like four for the shotgun upper modular system

Just fucking kill me now.

Use the inset tool ('I' key in blender), scale the inset vertices down to form a hole, grab (G) the vertices to move the hole where you want it to be, then E to extrude inwards to form your hold.

…I think that ought to work.

Is that an AK47?
I will stop shitposting now.

My nigga. Also, the original town graphics he had for Mordor 2 before switching to IW/Demise were amazing.

You'd think with how barebones a Demise/Oubliette clone is some faggots would throw one together, but nope. It depresses me even more considering games like Demise were made by 1 or 2 people back in those days. We have so many more tools now, but the results are always worse. Maybe there's something to that whole "kids these days", get-off-my-lawn-grandpa shit.

I hope you were being satirical.

but user, i haven't even demonstrated the clip mounted foregrip and high precision scope :^)

it's a SKS

I can't believe i forgot about that method, even though i use the inset faces tool a lot.
Thanks user, will give it a shot.
shit i should understand topology and cutting holes after all the years ive messed around with blender

That's a weird clip system m8

Todd, pls.

I hope you were as well

Well, that's an even more awful prospect. Modernizing gameplay almost always means making it worse.

progress

On a scale of Nintendo to Disney, what level of cease and desist are you expecting?

wew the UV came out a lot nicer than expected, if anything is shitty then please point out.
Is the photoshop plugin ddo any good for making textures from scratch?

What if he claims he had that space ship model seen in a vivid dream and decided to model it out based on his dream, but that it turned out it looks a lot like one of those space ship model on cuck wars is just pure coincidence goy.

t. non lolyer

Is there any vids like this of people just doing a nature walk/hiking through games? I want something in the background playing while I work, and lets plays are too distracting lately. I've been watching Oblivion lets plays on mute with the music playing in the background but occasionally I get distracted by how dogshit the player is.

I should follow up on this. I fucking slam dunked the interview hard and got stressed out over nothing.

I don't think it matters to them where the inspiration comes from.

ITS JUST FAN ART XXDD

this is just practice. I'm trying to up my detail

and figure out normal maps

I barely understand what you're talking about so it should give you my level in 3d modeling, I was trying to make some simple low poly char to get my game going but sometimes I make a wrong move and it's ragequit.

Any pics ? I could only find Gollum in google.

Some observations:
1. these whole edge loops seem unnecessary
2. Thats a very small part, does it really need that many polys
3. Does this need to be that many polys too
4. And the barrel too, quite many polys

The three on the stock make it thicker, removing those would make the stock way too thin/sharp.
Thanks, user. 19k tris now total

Has anyone seen this?

You could break the entire Earth into control nodes for Grand Strat elements, use location landmarks for resource distribution as well as terrain specific features, and add in a basic RTS system which you could monetize to high heaven, with shit like Nuclear Submarines, Tactical Warheads, Artillery strikes, Weapon crates, Armor modifiers, Air support

how does this even work? is it augmented reality with virtual reality or really holograms?
and where is the device projecting it? and how is he interacting with it?

The HoloLense is a pair of goggles. It's projecting it onto a piece of glass in front of the guy's eyes. There are also cameras in the goggles which track hand movements an surfaces (it's Microsoft, so I bet they are taking the tech from the kinect).

oh, i see

So, what do you guys use for music? Do you create your own - and if so - with what program?

yeah it's dead in the water user, not worth the effort.

I really like your animations

Is it just me are there non-kids / oldfags around here?

There might actually be REAL devs here.

the original postal devs stop in here every now and then. I wouldn't be surprised if there were more

anonymity is an attractive thing user

Who knows? Someone in here might become a dev while in this thread.

I'm hesitant to call myself a dev, especially when you see so many polished and competent projects floating around here.

I fucked around with some shitty program called "RPG Toolkit" in 2001 when I was 11, figured out how to edit creature stats in Dungeon Keeper, made shitty custom maps in SC1, tried to mod Diablo 2, but never really finished a single project.

My contribution to Mordor XP was being a 16 year old with photoshop-filter "art" and generally being flaky. I was passively involved in Terraria's tConfig development around v1.1, but I didn't know what the hell I was doing with XNA back then. Even in college, I got a co-op at a local game studio; nice guys, but again I didn't really do anything and maybe completed 4 classes in as many months, while the lead programmer was in and out and overall nothing got done.

that was my thinking too, heh

Is there a better way to implement an fps limit?
elapsed_time = glfwGetTime() - loop_start_time; if (1000.0f / 60 > elapsed_time) { std::this_thread::sleep_for(std::chrono::milliseconds(static_cast(1000.0f / 60 - elapsed_time))); }

Don't use sleep, use whatever form of vsync the drawing API you use has. That's probably glfwSwapInterval for you.

You call that only once before the main loop right?

Pretty sure yeah.

My weakest area is music/sound so I'm looking around at DAWs. I've mostly heard 'there's no best one, just pick one and go' but wondered if any musicbros had any personal favourites. FL Studio seems to be very recommended and not too expensive.

LMMS is free (as in freedom)

why does my empty window take up 13% cpu?

Let me guess: Your CPU supports 8 threads in HW (either 8 cores or 4 cores + SMT).

Cubase is solid, but Windows/Mac only and costs money. At least in the past you could get a student discount if you were still enrolled in school.

it's an i7-4770, why?

Busywaiting is a thing.
It's doing as much nothing as it can and hogging as much CPU as possible to do it. Or refreshing and redrawing nothing as often as it can. Or something else as often as it possibly can.

What's in your loop? What's stopping it from just returning and having the program terminate?

Oh, and the 13% thing? 4 cores with SMT or just 8 cores would give you one thread out of eight spinning at 100%. Or 12.5% total. Or around 13%.

An i7 has 4 cores and SMT (or hyperthreading, as Intel calls it). It allows the CPU to work on 8 threads simultaneously as if it had 8 cores (not really exactly as though it had those extra cores, but more or less). Your CPU can basically work on 8 things at once. How did I know?
100/8 = 12.5.
It means that one of your CPU cores is at 100% load the whole time. If you had quad core CPU without SMT, your CPU would be stuck at 25%, a dual-core CPU would be stuck at 50% load and a single core CPU at 100%.
My guess would be that you have some sort of infinite loop that is programmed so that it makes the CPU do it as fast as possible.
while(true) { // stuff}
The code in the loop will finish, then go back to the while and repeat without giving the CPU any time to breathe.
In games you always want some sort of frame limiter. Not 60 or 30 fps bullshit, but something like 500 or 1000 frames max. Otherwise every CPU, even the most powerful supercomputer CPU, will always run at maximum load.

how would one add a frame limiter?

If you're using some kind of graphics library, it'll likely have something baked in to use. If possible, use that.

If not, a simple solution would be to introduce a sleep period at the end of the frame. Get a timing at the start of the frame, do a frame's worth of work, get a second timing, subtract the difference between the timings from frame length and sleep for that period.

You'll likely need some way of getting high resolution CPU-based timings and a way to convert them into more physical time units.

As said, it depends on your code/language/platform.

Can any sound design anons help me out reproduce this sound? The one that plays the melody starting at 0:09. My guess is some mix of sin with triangle? I just can't figure it out. I'm using SunVox but any hint at the right direction is very welcome.

I was able to download the MOD (.s3m) files ripped from the original game here:
mirsoft.info/gmb/music_info.php?id_file=NDc4
(But you have to register an account on their site, I'll upload it on Megaupload)

I played it back using Totem (for Linux), it played back a perfect reproduction of the Youtube video you just embedded.

s3m is a format that includes sound samples and musical data to play using the stored samples. So if you wanted a perfect reproduction, you could take the samples from the .s3m and use them yourself, but…Copyright issues.
Alternatively, it would still be worth examining the individual samples in the s3m file to help better determine what the sample for that melody is made of. If you can get a visualization of the waveform for the sample file you want to re-create, it should be pretty obvious from looking at the waveform what needs to be done to create a similar sound.

I did the exact same thing and was writing almost the goddamned post.
Guess I'm a little slow on the draw.

Also, it's a little hard to get a decent read on the waveform, the latter half of a synthy string texture with a quick volume drop.

Guys, I could use some advice.
I'm working on an RPG and I'm confused as to how I should handle NPCs and such.
I figure that in the map file I can have an array of potential entity IDs that correlate with the tiles, and those IDs would tell the game which art to render.
But then how would I go about relating scripts I write to these entities?
I'm not sure how to approach it.

Mega link for Jackrabbit 2 ost:
mega.nz/#!TFk3HSqY!24NWUrW2yXgOE8zfZADZAgXcc4TB9IQAyTXEl1A_BOY

Others have solved this problem before.
Go grab RPG Maker 2k2 or something and see how they did things.
The underlying data structures should be pretty obvious from how the user interface is formatted.

If you're looking to learn programming for game dev, writing a RPG engine is a great way to go about it while also making your dream game, but if you just want to get a RPG put together, something like RPG Maker (but more cross-platform/FOSS than RPG Maker) may prove the wiser choice.

Legends! Thank you very much. I won't use the exact same waveforms, but I will study them to create something similar.

If you're going to be examining modules, it might be a good idea to look at the effects being used as well. Alexander Brandon's great, and has firm grasp on giving character to a sound with small slides, vibrato and dynamics; you could take that track, shove in a simple square in there instead of the lead and it'd still give you kind of an electric guitar sort of feel because of those effects.
They're little things, but they add up quick. Something good ol' Siren's been exploiting for as long as he's been around.

That's the wonderful thing about modules, you can fuck with them, slow them down, study them. The format's about as close as you can get to screwing around with a piece of code to see how it works as you can get in music. Other "source" files might work as well, but they're not too easy to come by in any decent numbers.

Consider exploring the Amiga demoscene and old games that use tracker formats if you need more tracks to examine, those are seriously expansive sources to explore.

Thank you, I'm learning by the examples bundled with sunvox, it's the most effective way of learning that I've tried so far. I didn't even think that Jackrabbit's OST would be available in readable format anywhere - a great resource for me because I really like Alexander Brandon's style. I wonder if UT99 soundtrack is available somewhere too?

Yep. Same site.
mirsoft.info/gmb/music_info.php?id_ele=MTE2OA==

Same deal with needing an account due to size.

i've got Unreal Gold installed and could upload the music to mega if you want it.

I wasn't quite that obvious for me regarding the scripts. Handling the triggering of events and all that jazz, sure. But not associating the scripts with the event/entities.
I've been curious as to how pokemon does it and tried looking into that, but nothing I could find related to rom hacking actually goes into that kind of implementation detail.

Can anyone give me an idea on how I could create a weapon model for original Quake?

model, UV unwrap and texture the model, export to Quake .mdl format (or if youre aiming at an updated quake engine then some format that those support, iqm for example) and you're done, in the case of a model replacement that is.
Blender quake export works pretty well as far as ive used it, iqm export is also available/
if you want to add a weapon to quake then you have to program it in as well.

forgot to mention that the quake coordinate system isnt the same as blenders, it was rotated 90deg on the Z axis iirc. import one of the quake models to get the size and orientation proper.

Awesome, appreciate it man! This is my first time ever trying to do something like this, so I've had to do a lot of independent research, but it's been fun.

Anyone here know how to get a Camera Rail in UE4 working in c++? The closest I can find is 'ACamRig_Rail' but the code keeps getting "Unrecognized type 'ACamRig_Rail' - type must be a UCLASS, USTRUCT or UENUM" and I can't figure out which library to import if I wan it to work, or if that is even the solution that I'm looking for.

If you have full reign on the data specifications for everything, you could give the NPCs a label that then is referenced in the script.
So then when your game engine executes the script you wrote, it looks for the NPC object with that label and does whatever you tell it to do to that object.

So, for example, you could have a NPC List for your map, and a single NPC for a particular map. The NPC has a label ("gary"), a location (anywhere would be OK if the NPC only appears for the duration of the event, we can have the script move him to the proper location when the event is triggered), a visibility&tangibilty flag (we'll set it to zero since we want Gary to be invisible until the event is triggered).

Then you have an event trigger zone, a rectangle (x,y,width,height) covering some space of the map. You might have some specific conditions that have to be met for the event to trigger beyond just hitting the trigger zone (for example, a certain flag that defines whether this event has already been triggered before might have to be set to 0, so this event can't be triggered repeatedly).

Once we trigger the event, the event's script can move the NPC labeled "gary" to the proper location and make him visible/tangible, then have NPC "gary" walk towards the player, then open textboxes, etc…The script is just alternative to hardcoding, you're still going to be telling the game engine fairly explicitly what you want it to do like you do when programming the engine itself.

This sort of thing isn't hard to conceive of yourself if you know programming and use your imagination a bit.
Keep coding, and you ought to be able to find your way around these kinds of problems.

I have a P3

:^)

One of the guys from the horror project here. If you've got some interest in animating 3D models or texturing, get ahold of me. I'd love to find some people who mesh well.

remind me what horror project this is

Classic RE/SH-style survival horror game visually modeled after an 80's VHS slasher film.

sawrry

New thread when?

We're past the bump limit, not many people are going to see this.