I want to use Unity and learn to make a game but my main problem is that the videos that Unity gives you are way too...

I want to use Unity and learn to make a game but my main problem is that the videos that Unity gives you are way too handholdy and don't actually teach you anything, you just go through the motions while someone else does.

Are there any written tutorials where this doesn't happen? Should I just find my way by using the unity documentation?

I'm not a complete newfag to programming, but so far I've been mostly a web developer (php, mysql and js), so I honestly don't know how much of that knowledge I can transfer over to this.

Does user have some tips for me?

the agdg thread has reached bump limit and I didn't want to make a new one, sorry about that

Other urls found in this thread:

fte.triptohell.info/
icculus.org/twilight/darkplaces/
github.com/id-Software/Quake
triptohell.info/moodles/fteqcc/win32-fteqccgui.exe
kristianduske.com/trenchbroom/downloads.php
icculus.org/gtkradiant/
wiki.unity3d.com/index.php/GenericMenuExtensions
gnu.org/licenses/gpl-2.0.html
archive.is/neJac
wiki.ioquake3.org/Game_Development
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

NO
STOP IT
I'LL FUCKING BREAK YOUR GODDAMN NECK
ENOUGH WITH FUCKING UNITY
UNITY IS THE WORST THING THAT HAPPENED TO THE ENTIRE FUCKING INDIE SCENE, IT'S ONLY GOOD IF YOU'RE REALLY SKILLED AT USING IT, AND 90% OF YOU STUPID FUCKS -AREN'T- GOOD ENOUGH

Well I can tell you I'm not going to go without an engine.
Source is too old now and about to be replaced, UE4 is waaaay more than what I need.

I gotta start from somewhere, might as well learn how to use unity.

What the fuck do you expect, OP?

Unity tutorials teach you the quirks and how-tos of UNITY, not programming.

Read a fucking book

But they don't.
The videos just make you follow set paths they already made out for you.
They don't teach you anything at all

If your new to gamedev you should be using a Quake sourceport or something. Not even kidding, you can do more than you think you can. The good ones are reasonably powerful. If you're a homo that hates the GPL luckily for you the gamecode is COMPLETELY separated from the engine code so once you understand it enough you could rewrite it yourself, as a few have done in the past. You say Source is shit because it's "outdated." That may be true, however nothing your newfag ass alone or in a small team is going to take advantage of advanced rendering features anyway. The real reason you don't use Source is because it's buggy as fuck and really unoptimized, as well as lots of retarded shit that has gone unremoved (for fucks sake, there's still some assembly level DX6 pipeline ties.) It dtill uses fucking HAMMER, a tool that has barely changed since 1997 and it sucks mad dong just as it always has. Nothing will ever compare to GTKradient, and some other editors available for other BSP engines.

Unity is the fucking worst, don't even BOTHER, especially if you want to learn to make games, not a good idea.

t. gamedev

Just use your common sense OP. Unity is pretty damn intuitive so if you already know how to program the hardest part about using it is already taken care of.

Unity is one of the most straightforward engines out there. If someone isn't skilled enough to use it then they're going to be pretty much hopeless with the alternatives.

Wow, just like everything else.
But in all seriousness, Unity has a boatload of problems, like running sub-10 FPS on some Vita games (how the fuck a game as a graphically "intense" as I am Setsuna manages to lag I will never know).

No it's not, stop spreading misinformation.

God, swing and a miss with you.

Literally EVERYTHING requires you to be really skilled (which comes with practice) if you want poop out good shit.

Like is it optimized badly, does it have a hard to use toolset that's limited?

What exactly is bad about it beyond your impotent screaming? Be more constructive, like

who give opposing viewpoints without sperging out like a reactionary "triggered" retard.

Is it misinformation? Make your counterargument, bro. Convince me why I shouldn't use Unity over UE4

So what the fuck should I use mr gamedev?
Unity's trash
Source is trash too

UE4?
Fucking Gamemaker?
Make it myself from scratch?

I mean shit you can give me all the reasons you want to not use Unity, but without an alternative I have nowhere else to go.

You shouldn't use either.

It's like you didn't even read my post.

In the same post you tell me I should use a quakeport in source to telling me I shouldn't use source at all

????

Are you seriously this retarded?

Quake Sourceport, whatever
I don't know what that means

Fair effort was put into that post, so help us further. Are there any good tutorials to use to learn Quake sourceport? Don't tell me that I shouldn't ask to be spoonfed, we both know how fuckhuge game engines are and how much it takes to learn them.

test post because fuck you codemoneky

I say that because lots of successful developers got started making Quake/Half Life mods back in the day, and with modern tools and modern updated engines it's not only good for mods but for making games in general.
Pick your poision:
fte.triptohell.info/ (underutilized but theoretically more capable. Updated daily)
icculus.org/twilight/darkplaces/ (abandoned but popular. Total conversions like Xonotic were made with this)

So the way Quake works is that the engine is written in C and the gamecode is written in a compiled data file that uses a language called Quake C, which was made explicitly for Quake. It's pretty much C's syntax exactly but it lacks a few features like pointers (which can be substituted with ports like FTE) and the fact that all variables are floating point. Anything else you might need can be substituted with Client Side Quake C which most modern ports support. The difference is that standard Quake C gamecode is processed on the server and not the client. Modern engines like FTE can generate something called an "extensions" file. It is public domain as it is generated by your engine so you can do whatever you want. What this does is export a lots of engine funtions and allows them to be changed in the gamecode instead. The original game's QC code is really fucking messy because it was made in 3 days, Kind of a nigger to work with but once you understand the game enough you should be able to write gamecode from scratch. Both the engine and the quakeworld Quake C (this version has no enemy AI code) are licensed under the GNU General Public License v2 or greater.
You can grab the QW QC here:
github.com/id-Software/Quake
A compiler for QC:
triptohell.info/moodles/fteqcc/win32-fteqccgui.exe
(in that same directory there is a linux compiler too)
Lots of this is sketchy and undocumented so you have to figure a lot out but it will come with experience. Some good resources are the tutorials at InsideQC (formerly known as Inside3D) and the Quake C reference manual which describes all the functions of the shareware QC release (which shares all the same code except the enemy AI code)
Which can be found here:
pages.cs.wisc.edu/~jeremyp/quake/quakec/quakec.pdf

Now that I've talked about how gamecode works, you need to know about making things. Most modern engines use 3D meshes exclusively to make level geometry as opposed to BSPs (binary space partitions) which games like Quake, and Half Life 2 use. BSPs are just what the name implies. Binary based space allocation in an theoretical 3D space. BSPs are more limited geometry wise than a proper 3D mesh, but on the flip-side, you can doodle BSPs to your hearts content and get a lot of work done very fast. You can combine your level geometry with 3D meshes where necessary to compensate with it's lack of complexity, so it's the best of both worlds. You can get a lot of work done much faster, great for small teams and one man efforts. Level creators include the very user friendly Trenchbroom, which John Romero has called "the greatest level editor ever made" and the advanced yet extremely powerful GTKradient (a fork of which is still used to make the modern Call of Duty games, and another even current Id games.)
Trenchbroom: kristianduske.com/trenchbroom/downloads.php
GTKRadient: icculus.org/gtkradiant/
As for models, modern sourceports will support pretty much any modern model format so just use blender or something.

And to save you a lot of time, the way the game reads the data is it reads the id1 folder first by default. Inside the pak0.pak folder is the file structure for the game data, as well as all of the games original shit, including gamecode and maps and stuff. Make a file tree the same way and your compiled gamecode will go in the root of that folder (you have to delete the pak files once you have created this filetree, You will now have an empty game)

Save this because this is information you're not going to find just lying around. Of course there's lots of shit you're still going to have to figure out but Google is your friend.

GODDAMMIT CODECHUNKIE LET ME POST

I appreciate your help but this seems really backwards and like it would take a lot of time with very little results

The flipside is once you learn it it's probably the fastest way to make a 3D game possible. It's very modular, which is something that very few things have. One thing that's good about Quakeports is that your code will run on every fucking platform in existence, including shit like Solaris and AmigaOS.Much more than the 3 platforms Unity supports. You can take my advice, or get stuck with Unity and probably never get anywhere. Regardless, good luck fellow user.

Unity can run on windows, mac, linux, and all the consoles plus phones.
Who gives a shit about the amiga and solaris

I mean really?

Who gives a fuck about consoles and phones?

I mean really?
And by run you mean run like shit. Seriously I don't know how someone can make something so bad.

Rimworld is good

They're a bigger market than whatever shit platforms than amica and solaris

Don't be fucking retarded come on

Thanks user. I screencapped it for future reference for you.

I brought them up just to illustrate how much shit it's on, and how easy it is to port to other platforms. If you're coming here to ask for advice because you know nothing and you reject help because you think you know more then fine, so be it. If your work effort is as good as your typing skills then I'm sure you'll make something great. :^)
And even though you're a ginourmous faggot I genuinely wish you luck.

Thanks user. I was hoping someone would find it useful.

I asked tips on unity tutorials or info
Not about using the quake engine

I appreciate it, but it's not what I want.

savage

How's your engine coming along Tetrabro?

Well Unity sucks, and you're a gay nigger.

Yeah and I'm sure this engine from 20 years ago has everything Unity has plus an active community and documntation for support

Fuck off dude. Just because you've done poor decisions doesn't mean everybody should follow you.

Oh cool, you read nothing I said. The engine in question has been regularly updated over the past 20 years and has all the modern features you'd need, even shit like Vulkan support.
You're just asshurt I called you out on being a faggot. You don't even know how to program, and you're reprimanding those who not only know much more than you in every facet pertaining to game development, but also wish to help you. If you don't want our help then stop complaining.

I'm pretty sure that he's telling you not to use Unity or even look into Unity because you won't learn any skills that can be applicable elsewhere.
You should've asked for help around what engine to use, and extra resources past that, rather than asking for help with Unity.
Past that you could've gone to the AGDG thread.
Also stop being a bitch.

This. I only recommended Quack because it's a really great way to learn gamedev, and is also capable of being used for a full project if you master it.

Neither have you apparently.
How many people use this today, actively to make things that aren't quake mods?
I seriously doubt there's currently more than a hundred people making an actual game in this.

Wow are we already at the umad argument?
Keep going with whatever you think is right, at least I don't get my panties in a twist because someone refuses to copy code from an already released game, modifying it, and then calling it his.

If you actually believe this is the best way to make your own game then you must be absolutely retarded.

Unity is literally my only choice. So I really don't have a chance to use something else either way.

Unity IDE is awful.

A few pretty cool projects.

Doesn't matter. Most indie devs make trash games anyway so what authority do they have?
Keep going with whatever you think is right, at least I don't get my panties in a twist because someone refuses to copy code from an already released game, modifying it, and then calling it his.
If you weren't assblasted you wouldn't be so defensive about it. Also what do you think an engine even is?
wew

I'd tell you to take your bitching to agdg but I'm sure they don't wanna her you whine either.

I'm a Unity dev.
Let me explain to you why unity is a very hard engine to work with.
Check this page i looked at today for work: wiki.unity3d.com/index.php/GenericMenuExtensions
It's a trivial script to make menu building syntax a bit less shitty to write.
All of unity needs these kind of "trivial scripts". They pick already shitty C# and make a godawful mess with it, with buggy open source .NET implementation. And dealing with this is the "easy" part that will take you months to sort out.
If you're a newbie make yourself a favor and stay clear of Unity !!UNLESS!! you use Unity's decent editor interface to make most of your game and only use extremely simple scripts or bought assets to make it work together. It's perfectly possible and convenient enough, but don't expect it to ever look or play tight and professional. If you're trying to push the graphics or make any sort of "complex" system (ie spaceships moving in 3d space and shooting), then use Unreal or others. Unity tried to make game creation simple, but made a bloated monster instead, trying to do everything at once.

Quality post user. If you're actually a professional Unity dev then godspeed to you, I know how difficult Unity is to work with myself, which is why I tell people not to use it.

that's not the point retard.
Say I get stuck, say I need help. With unity i have potentially tens of thousands of users ready to help me here, on the unity forums, or on Stackoverflow and fuck knows where else.
With your shitty idea, I'm stuck, and since there's no official documentation and it's not as used, I have no way of getting out of it.

What you're asking me to do is

1: go through someone else's code
2. which is written in a language that I have not good knowledge of
3. make sense of it despite having no idea what I'm doing
4. in some cases straight up plagiarize the code
5. get fucked in case I get stuck

I cannot believe you would actually suggest this to someone. Just for the code plagiarization you would probably get shunned by 90% of the internet in case you tried to distribute your game. Not to mention the legal ripercussions of it.

Now
THIS
is a good post.
Thank you for chipping in.

I don't know if I can use Unreal but I will try it out.

Probably need another thread or maybe a change in boards but after playing cave story and reading on the development of the game; how hard is it to create a game engine and utilize it for your own game? I'm an ultra noob when it comes to codes and whatever magic you guys use with your runeshit.

Go fuck off and fail.

Required in any gamedev project
Well that's your fault and if you don't know C you shouldn't be making games
Something any professional programmer has to deal with regularly.
It's GPL you stupid nigger. Do you not even know what free software is? Further proof you shouldn't be making games, or any kind of software for that matter.
You figure it out. Again, things any professional programmer has to deal with. If you're whining about this then go talk to the devs of Conker's Bad Fur day, they'll put you in your place real quick.
You are genuinely retarded.

archive.is/neJac
There. 16 dev tools, all are free. Not all are engines, but they are more options than your literal only choice. It also doesn't include Unreal 4 and Godot, and probably a lot more, including what other anons here have said.
Also if you're planning on making a 2D game, definitely do not use Unity, since that functionality was only added last year I think. I haven't tried it in a while, so it could be good, but don't keep your hopes up.

A lot of the time it will be a pointless endeavor, and someone else will have done what you are doing and have done it better. Don't copy and paste shit, but don't ignore things that work.

what
That's the whole point of this
Again, not true
Copying code is STILL copying code.
What the fuck is the point.
Wow, great fucking advice.

Go ahead, keep using other people's code to make your game. I really want to see how fucking far you get.

Excuse me, required in almost any gamedev project that uses an engine.
You are seriously the STUPIDEST nigger who has ever tried to make a video game. Fucking READ.
Do you not know what a software lisence is?
Yeah, like you would know.
Code that I am legally entitled to use provided I abide by the license?

You have no right to be posting pictures of the Kacho with post quality this low.

Unless you're coming onto an already started project I have absolutely no idea how this could be true.
Copying. Is. Still. Copying. If I want to learn something or make something original I'm not going to just go through code that someone has already made and just change it slightly and call it mine. It's fucking crazy. Not only I don't want to do it because it's dumb, but I also will not learn jack shit.
I've developed in teams before, even professionally. The max you can come to do is ask someone on your own team what the code they've written does. In this case that is fucking impossible.
Yeah, I want to see if you actually manage to finish the game you're working on. Not for legal reasons mind you, but because it is such a retarded progress that I doubt you will be smart enough to drop what you're doing and employ your time better.

Feel free to post anything from your "game" so others can see what amazing things you've been able to do by avoiding modern game engines, although I'm sure you won't bother doing that.

Most of the time when making game, you are working in a group, sometimes upwards of 15 people, and in AAA studios, upwards of 100. You will look through the code of other people.
Very true if they don't leave you or anyone that needs to read their code proper documentation.
Right here.
We're not trying to lead you astray here. At the very least I'm not. We're saying to leave Unity behind for valid reasons. It seems your only reason for sticking with it is the larger user base and support.

You must really love Unity.

An "already started project" is any engine you didn't make yourself.
If you read anything I said earlier I said to learn how the engine works so you can then rewrite it yourself. This is the best way to learn. My project 100% original gamecode.
Ok Pajeet. Keep thinking what you've done is real software development.
You probably will sometime next year. Things are going pretty well.
No because my team would not like that.

lol
Yeah, I'm sure rewriting a full engine from zero is exactly what I need to start out on something I know nothing about. That's exactly why I made this thread.
lol, of course

Fascinating stuff, thanks user. I'll save that and give it a look sometime.

Thanks a lot, user. Even if the Unity faggot doesn't appreciate you I do

What the fuck do you even mean? Do you have literal autism?
Excuse me, poor wording. (I've been reading your garbage barely intelligible sentences and it's rubbing off on me.) I meant we rewrote all the GAMECODE. Not the engine code.
More than you can say.

It really is a good way to get into gamedev. I did it many years ago. I expect to move on to more complex things someday, but the project we're currently working on is to sharpen our skills to make a magnum fucking opus that nobody will believe is made in Quake. Planning in the works for that, so wish us luck!

Alright, I wanna make a test game in this. What genre do you recommend for my first game here - a shooter or a platformer?

oh, and best of luck with your project. Code the shit out of that baby.

Shooter, or other first person game, but a platformer is possible when you know it well.

Download Godot and work through the documentation. No, it's not fully featured yet and PBS are still coming, but Godotscript is very Python-esque and figuring out all the basic concepts will help you immensely. It's also Open Source and very actively maintained and developed.

Hello, I'm someone currently fiddling with which engine I want to use. As someone who's only ever used C based languages I found Godot's Python-based language very hard to work with. What do?

Any engine is shit if you don't know how to use it.
If you try to use a hammer by holding the head you're going to have a bad time.
Same shit user.

Ffs some people are so into groupthink it's goddamn annoying.
Form your own opinions

Read a book on C#, I recommend C# in Depth.
After that, read a book on unity, or scour the docs while practicing/experimenting.
The Unity tuts are a shooting off point, and aren't meant in any way to give u: every. single. detail.
Also, one of the more basic lessons of programming in general is how to do your OWN RESEARCH.
Ffs, you're already failing here user, get your shit together.

i just want to make a standalone demonsteele with fucking quake graphics god dammit

You really can't read. Also I like how you outed yourself as a street shitter by purposefully ignoring the pajeet comment.

You can use c++ if you want, Godotscript isn't a requirement. You just need to get used to the whole high level thing. You structure and compose your codebase pretty much the same way. Not worrying about memory allocation and using a garbage collector can make your code easy to read (and reason about) and it will save you quite some time. It's not about micromanaging things.

You can also go through some Python guides since they're so very similar. If that's still not doing it for you then I'd recommend waiting for c# support, which is supposed to be coming with 3.0.

I've been getting into Godot for quite a while, and what's this whole thing about C++ and being able to use it? Do I have to recompile the engine myself when I make any additions or how does this all work?

You recompile the source code with added modules/classes and objects, then you place them and use them in the editor and they appear in your game according to how you've programed them.

I keep seeing more and more anons leaning towards C than C++ for probably good reasons I don't know. I learned a bit of basic C++ but can someone explain to a nodev like me how C shines and where C++ falls flat? I've been spending some time learning the godot engine and its functions but I figured that I would have to learn some code language so I am not a complete shitter when it comes to coding

So Quake sourceport is recommended. How is idtech 3 or a sourceport of it compared to quake sourceport for learning or is it too complex?

If you know C well and are willing to do a lot of reading ioquake3 is great, and the documentation is superb. Also know that with Quake you have the option of getting out of the GPL id you rewrite the gamecode. I'm more of a free software guy myself but many people are put off by it when making large projects on an actual devteam. It's an option with Quake and not Quake 3. The hardest part of working with Idtech 3 is programming menus is a pain in the fucking ass. Also do know that a QW sourceport is theoretically more powerful. I can link you to the documentation if you so desire.
Quake 3 as a whole isn't insanely hard to learn. All the gamecode is sandboxed. As long as you have the right environment set up, you're good. I warn you if you use GNU/Linux that this is one of the few things I highly recommend to use Visual Studio with, as much as I hate it. Setting it up in most other things is a pain in the ass.

wiki.ioquake3.org/Game_Development

Hello, im from the future, let me tell you guys something interesting

In 2 years every single hipster indie will be using Godot, Holla Forums will hate it because its popular and Unity will be the "good old classic engine"

Screencap this

Looks like you got that part down already, good job

Congratulations on being everything wrong with the indie dev scene. You insist on using bloated, one-size-fits-all proprietary engines, can't understand simple concepts like libre software, and completely shit yourself with rage whenever people suggest doing things slightly different from your way (which clearly isn't getting you anywhere). Kindly kill yourself before you make another awful indie game and fulfill your destiny as the true cancer killing video games with awful performance and dull gameplay mechanics.

guess what user?
source film maker

OP started this thread as someone wanting to get into game development, granted he ought to be more open to your advice for that very reason but nonetheless that means that there is no onus on him to have actually made anything yet.

You on the other hand entered this thread introducing yourself as a game dev whose advice is what people should be taking if they actually want to get games made. By all accounts you should have some finished projects under your belt to substantiate such a claim.

QW? Quake World more powerful?
Please do.

It was a suggestion you nigger.
OP is a faggot. I only started ripping on him when he sperged the fuck out.

It's the link in the post.

Freetards wouldn't let that happen even if Holla Forums only hated unity because it's popular.

bump for more quackefag advice

Sorry. I thought you meant documentation for Quake World or is it that doc folder in the github link earlier?
Also, you recommended Visual Studio for Quake 3. I assume that's the same for ioQuake3?
I think these should be my final questions.

Is this who you want to be like OP?
because this is who you will be if you keep acting like this

I have only done work with ioquake3 but yeah I would assume the same for both.

What would you like to know user?