Vidya Tech Thread?

So I've been in the market for a new ultrawide monitor since I have two right now, but they're both 2560x1080p and I wanna get a 3440x1080 monitor. I wasn't sure if I should wait for the Samsung CF791 or bite the bullet and get the Microboard M340CLZ. The Microboard is 200 dollars less than the Samsung monitor. however it's also calibrated terribly, and doesn't have as much as a curve. So despite all of that should I get the Microboard or the Samsung.

reposted from Holla Forums since no one actually looks at the Consumer Advice thread

What's the appeal of one fuckhueg monitor over a couple monitors with standard aspect ratios?

Well for one thing I need the deskspace, so I would like to make the jump to 3440x1080p without any compromises. And right now my desk is a bit of a mess.

That makes sense. Is there anything better about it as far as the screen itself though rather than space constraints?
Also it sounds like you want the Samsung but trying to talk yourself out of it. Get the superior product that you're going to better enjoy staring at for hours on end every day.

well of course, I have two LG 29UM67P's right now, and was thinking of going the extra mile for the Samsung.

I can't help but cringe like a motherfucker looking at that monitor.

I used a triple monitor setup once & it was a pain in the ass. Every time I installed a vidya game I had to look it up on WSGF to find out if it supported triple monitor resolution & most of the time it didn't thus requiring some shitty 3rd party hack which would potentially display things wrong.

I used to used 16:10 & got ugly black bars on most games. Eventually, you'll get fed up & just use 16:9 since that's what everything supports already. I got a big cheap korean 40" 4K monitor now with 16:9 ratio. Loads of pixels for desktop space, but with a nice, compliant aspect ratio. I use left side of the monitor for some things & the right side for other things since there's so many pixels. Also have a small pen display beside the big 4K monitor used for drawing, task manager & audio player. I've got desktop space for days. Only complaint is the 4K monitor has ghosting issues & it might be nice to have freesync or gsync. I had another cheap korean monitor that was 2560x1440 & would run at 100Hz so I kinda miss the higher refresh rates.

Going to college soon, and I'm going to be moving alot, should I try and get a medium sized desktop, or jsut get a labtop that can handle newer games?

What the fuck is that even for?

God. They just don't stop making useless crap.

21:9 isn't bad if ALL you do is consume media. If you have a space and PC dedicated to vidya, go for it.
Otherwise you're better off with multiple monitors for work. And you sure as hell can't used a curved 21:9 monitor if you're an artist. That'll fuck you up.
However if you're using a monitor like this it better fucking be curved.

Depends, what is your major? The more related to electrical/computer engineering it is, the more your gonna want something more intensive than a tablet on the go. Also if you do anticipate moving your shit around a lot, get a decent padded case. I'm CS, and I've lugged my laptop around so much on my bike that 90% of its structural integrity now comes from duct tape bindings reinforced with paperclips

I thought about doing this for a while, and just wound up buying a 4k TV instead. Wound up costing me less, anyway, and I still have a 1080p 120hz option which I typically use for games.

Then use a couple of VESA mounts.

Thinking of buying a SEGA Saturn USB controller from some Chinese seller on eBay after reading some Amazon reviews that say the Retrolink Saturn controller has poor build quality. This one seems like it might be a genuine Saturn controller with a USB soldiered onto it but a review said that it had poor build quality as well. Thinking of buying it alongside an Xbox 360 controller so I can make up for the 360 controller's bad D-pad and analog stick-oriented design.

not genuine. Get a legit pad and a USB adapter.

Wouldn't that mean input lag though?

I consume media and I would never fucking dream of using such a fucked aspect ratio. Jesus christ. I'm already putting side bars on my anime because 1366x768 isn't 4:3.

you are playing on PC, right?

Does anyone have experience with Motherboards that have an hdmi input? How good's the capture quality?

Yeah.

the input lag added from the saturn to usb converter won't be a big enough deal combined with driver overhead, windows overhead, lcd response time and windows software limitations.

Don't worry about it. If lag is such a concern consider going the original hardware+crt route.

There is a huge amount of lag, and if you play video games, you would notice. Never ever use an adapter. The one on ebay is crap, dont get it. Get a mod kit and mod the original into a usb. c99e40 is a faggot.

Also Thread reminder, anything with "Gaming" attached to it is a useless gimmick and paper weight. Even modern Consoles.