SMASH THREAD

Can we have a smash thread?
anyone feeling like playing some smash?

post friend codes. make friends. play smash. meme it up.

Other urls found in this thread:

projectcrusade.forumotion.com/t3321-ssbc-0-9-0-release-update-released
mcleodgaming.com/games/ssf2
ikneedata.com/meleelight
twitter.com/PracticalTAS/status/807514849966194688)
steamcommunity.com/id/furrets
gfycat.com/GrippingInsidiousAntelopegroundsquirrel
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

>yfw Isaac and Ray return in Smash Switch as assist trophies again

Hey goys, how would a 3D (read 3D from a gameplay perspective) smash game play out? Would it be possible to simulate a wavedash or an Lcancel in 3D space?

What happened to this thread?
Hello?

My local vidya group doesn't have an Internet connection, and we play Sm4sh with no updates. Any glitches I could abuse to fuck around?
Fuck The Great Cave Offensive. Whenever we try it we always end up fighting on the surface. because there's no reason to go in the caves. Even if there was the whole lava thing is annoying.

I guess it would be like the Naruto fighting games. Then again those games don't have arena hazards like in Smash, so it would take some tweaking to make the platforming good.

ever play power stone?

No, but I like how it looks, I'd need to see how the controls work tho.

It's probably look like Rocket League but more interesting and filled with Nintendo characters.

What annoys me is that the lava shit in The Great Cave Offensive has the potential to be cool and fun, but they ruined it by making the level a fuck-huge maze where you have to hunt people down.

Wavedashing is too precise and inherently 2D to properly work in 3D unless you automated just turned it into an omnidirectional dash mechanic, but at that point you lose the subtleties of distance and the possibility of a triangle jump. Platforms are also an integral part of Smash, and getting them to work in 3D would be bizarre if it worked at all. Memes aside, it'd probably work something like Shrek Super Slam, or maybe Pokken without the phase shift mechanic. I'd honestly look to something like Virtua Fighter for some inspiration, since neither series has a super meter mechanic or EX moves.

At least it's an accurate representation of how much of a pain in the ass it is to find all the treasure in the Great Cave Offensive in Kirby Super Star.

Probably something like Power Stone but with more focus on platforming. Given wavedashing only works due to air-dodging directions restricted to 2D, I'm not sure it could be transferred into 3D without some weird limitations.

Are Smash fangames game?
Super Smash Bros. Crusade: projectcrusade.forumotion.com/t3321-ssbc-0-9-0-release-update-released
Super Smash Flash 2: mcleodgaming.com/games/ssf2
Melee Light: ikneedata.com/meleelight

Project M XP is basically Project M except not shit.

Anyone else been following the Smashbox drama? It's been delicious seeing people try to defend a controller which allows superhuman SDI with ten minutes of practice (twitter.com/PracticalTAS/status/807514849966194688) and one button shield drops.

We already have a fighting game thread.

Exactly. This is the thread for autistic party games.

What a terrible thing to do to a Gamecube controller.

What kind of perplexes me are the people in the rest of the FGC who honestly don't grok why allowing analog to digital conversions at the press of a button might be troublesome. Everybody knows Icies are kind of a gimmick character, but could you imagine how much better they'd be if you could do an instantaneous jump desnyc at the push of a button?

It seemed obvious to me that precision was a big part of what made Melee handle differently from traditional fighting games. At least we have video evidence the Smashbox is a stupid idea now, no matter how much Hitbox|Gravy, sponsored by Hitbox, who reached out to Hitbox, involved in Smashbox development, may dispute it.

Anyway, I mod smash 4 and somehow I haven't dropped this piece of shit for fighting games, so does anyone have suggestions for making the game less shit?

Already done that.

how do i git gud in smash? specifically for the 3ds.

Play an S tier character, don't play against CPUs, and watch how good players play.

Also realize that the really good smash players probably play every day for a minimum of ~3 hours each day, so in the simplest of terms, just play more and you'll eventually get better.

One can only dream because it totally isn't gonna happen

Krystal would honestly be a great addition in every aspect except relevance, since she hasn't been in a Starfox game since Command (anyone remember Kursed?), which itself was lukewarm; they replaced her in Starfox Zero with some random furrybait, which is baffling to me.

There aren't really any staff fighters (or assist fighters) on the roster, and she does magic stuff too. As bad as Stairfax Temperatures was, she definitely has enough source material to make an interesting moveset. There could probably be a decent stage, too - either Krazoa Palace as some kind of Delfino-esque shapeshifting jank level, or one of the more substantial areas complete with environmental hazards and walk-off blast zones.

Any other rosterfags want to speculate? Smash for Switch is probably going to have a handful of new characters.

Don't you mean Legacy XP?

NO.

KILL YOURSELF

Show me a smash player who doesn't look like a total faggot. I'm waiting.

After that "FINAL presentation" thing we got earlier this year when Bayonetta was dropped? Somehow, I doubt it.

Though I'll never stop believing in Ray;_;

Have you made it so that you keep the forward momentum when you jump after a dash, or is that under faster movement?

smash for the nintendo switch better have nintendos witch. or else im going to switch off my pacemaker and finally rest

Is it better or worse than this mod?

Posting memes to keep the thread alive overnight.

Been catching up on Summit 3 and UGC recently. Looking forward to Don't Park on the Grass soon, and seeing my countryman n0ne tear shit up. Kirbykaze did work at Eden but n0ne has levelled up so much over the last year I'm always glad to watch his sets.

poop

Smash 4 is better than melee because of memes like these.

Waoh shit a smash thread

Watch it die in 2 days….

I already hate you.

JUST

Ice Climbers coming back would be nice.

No Konami rep sucks, but given that Konami's been a bag of dicks for the last ~3 years…

mfw

I get it.

It took me way too long to get what you meant. That's pretty genius of the modders, honestly.

Yeah, I don't think I'm going to platinum it.

Also

More games need that.

I just started Dark Souls after platting Bloodborne not long ago. Actually just had a few newfag questions if that's okay.

Best early weapon? I picked Pyromancer and I haven't found anything yet that I like better than my starting hand axe, but I have a few I don't have the stats for yet.

Why does my Estus flask sometimes go over 5? Probably a retarded question but I am still in the undead town at the beginning.

Can anyone explain the hollow/humanity thing?

You never see the 2 or more bodies with items in the same place, unless its a trap.

The bridge is that humongous thing that blocks half the sky in the undead burg, either you are blind or retarded

Necropia

Why have there been so many of these threads lately?

Are you sure about that?

The spambot is back. I don't think that's a real person.

bui here

please erp with me as klonoa with stinky paws and i'll stop :3

my discord is Bui#3468
steam steamcommunity.com/id/furrets
you must have a cute klonoa avatar or i won't add you~

It might still be made just because it's Rockstar, who doesn't seem to give a shit about SJW stuff (yet anyway).

So whats going on with this? I'm not sure what you mean. It says tool assisted speedrun, so why would anyone really give a fuck?

Didn't seem to have the same posting style so I assumed they were real.

The account name is Practical TAS, but those inputs were done manually on a keyboard. Normally when you want to SDI, your best bet is to jam the analogue stick from centre to a cardinal direction, then into a diagonal. SDI-ing Fox's up air like this for even a single input is a pain, since you only have four frames of hitlag to do the motions. With the smashbox (or any analog to digital controller), you can just piano the buttons and consistently get multiple SDI inputs. Compared to the single SDI input which even pros have trouble getting (about one Jigglypuff character width to the right or left), two or three consistent inputs is nuts.

For reference, this is what two smash DI inputs looks like: gfycat.com/GrippingInsidiousAntelopegroundsquirrel

Really a more Melee-like translation of ground momentum to aerial movement is the only thing I want changed from Sm4sh's physics, otherwise I'm happy with things as they are.

>tfw no Snake, now with Venom/Big Boss/Liquid/Boss/Solidus/Ocelot/Otacon alt costumes

tfw Abate has been very inactive

Fuck me how did I forget the fucking greentext

Do you think he'll retire?
It's going to be like Bizarro all over again isn't it?

Possible which sucks because he was my favorite Luigi.

He's everyone's favorite Luigi.

So basically the controller, allows for ease of use?
As long as the buttons themselves aren't marcos, and are the "same inputs" you would have on a gamecube controller.

I play project M and smash 4
literally just ground to air and air to ground momentum, but without wavedashing would make this the best smash game.
you could make it even better by adding some project M characters like ivysaur and snake

It's not simply an ease of use issue. The smashbox allows for superhuman precision at the push of a button, frame perfect, every time. You can also rebind the buttons, which isn't something allowed on a regular Gamecube controller.

Take the Ice Climbers, for instance: if you input an UP value on the analog stick of EXACTLY 181, Popo will jump but Nana won't. The best Icies in the world can't do this consistently, but the smashbox would let people do this frame perfect at the push of a button. Given that literally every single desync (or almost all of them - I'm not an Icies main) the Icies use requires them to do a very obvious move beforehand, being able to instantly desync would fundamentally change the way the character is played. Then the situation becomes an arms race of controller modding, etc.

It's not really the "same inputs" as a Gamecube controller, no matter how you look at it.

I think I've posted an Abate combo in the last half dozen Smash threads we've had. Never gets old.

Well hey if ppmd is coming back in 2017 anything can happen.

Oh shoot didn't mean to sage

Sounds like they needed to have an actual R button and not let you remap buttons. I can't imagine there'd be a problem if only A/B/X/Y/Z were on the buttons.

Although I guess putting the pad/stick onto buttons is Hitbox's gimmicks for regular arcade sticks in the first place. And I know there's been controversy surrounding there shit in regular fighting games anyway since plenty of those don't expect you to be able to L+R, etc.

I'm not sure whether to be glad Kek approved or to worry you jinxed him.

The R button isn't really the issue in that case (although making light shielding and shield DI more difficult is a weird quirk of the smashbox). It's mostly the precision of the analog stick which gets lost when translated to digital buttons - I think a lot of the unwashed masses look at a fight stick and a Gamecube controller and don't really differentiate between a joystick with 9 positions and a joystick with several thousand due to the visual similarities. In fairness, the Gamecube stick usually has about the same number of positions as an arcade stick with some minor variations for shield dropping and fire fox angles. Despite that, the precision required for top level play is not something which should be available at the touch of a button.

This sounds weird, but I'm actually glad my local scene preemptively banned the smashbox in the event it ever gets funded.

By that logic we should ban controller mods that add additional gates/notches to the plastic shell of a GCN controller, which have not been banned for quite some time despite giving the same benefits without any drawback gained from the conversion to digital controls (lack of full DI control). Yet we still see no top ICs climbing up to the top thanks to abusing Kadano's mods, and you definitely won't see this happening with the SmashBox.

This controller optimizing arms race you're worried about isn't real issue. What matters in execution is not a player's ability to execute certain inputs at an arbitrary moment (which you argue a more optimized controller could allow), but if a player can recognize what and when to execute given the certain moment - not precision at any given time but precision in the moment. The only type of mods that would be contrary to that are Macros as they undermine that in the moment execution (as they goes beyond a single momentary input). All other button binds are unimportant and already exist on a regular GCN controller.

Also, have some autistic number gathering.

Sure! I love party games!

who's this cum commando?

As do I!

I honestly expected it would be much more dead nowadays, but it's still kicking somehow.

Gates and notches are case mods, which I'm fine with even though I dislike them in concept because they're impossible to regulate. I would prefer if we didn't use them but they're so easy to implement and the difference between shield dropping with them and shield dropping without them isn't fundamentally changed: you still have to move the analog stick precisely, even if it's less precise a movement with a notch in the gate.

With the Icies desync, the fundamental action changes from a superhuman feat of precision to a single button press which cannot be fucked up. Understand me clearly here, okay? I don't think the smashbox will make players too good, I just believe that Melee on a gamecube with a gamecube controller on a CRT is the standard for how it should be played and anything which would fundamentally change that (like pushing a button to do the desync instead of being precise with an anlog stick), while not necessarily a bad thing, is not a way it should be played because it's fundamentally different from the way the game is constructed.

You're idea of "fundamental" tech skill kind of becomes really irrelevant when you consider alternative grips for controllers. People are already using significantly movements with a standard GCN controller.
>the fundamental action changes from a superhuman feat of precision (wew) to a single button press which cannot be fucked up.
Again, you're talking about arbitrary precision of an input rather than one's ability to execute in the moment, the same kind of "theory crafting" that has people say Fox:Jigs is a 7:3 matchup yet Hbox is positive against top 10 foxes - the most important part of execution is knowing what to execute and when, not how you execute. And like I previously said, this "precision" is affected by case mods just as much as it is by the Smashbox, but unlike the Smashbox it doesn't remove analog controls and thus doesn't remove options (not unless they add a shit ton more buttons to crowd the board up and make that "superhuman precision" kind of moot).
This is a ridiculously purist perspective. Do you get annoyed when someone uses the bongos to play?
Now you sound like someone arguing against wavecheating and fun-cancelling.

i love items, but i dont love how it likes to spawn explosives on you when youre attacking

i took a guy who looked like leffen out on a date

Its a fucking optimized game cube controller just designed somewhat like a fight stick.

Completely forgot about those. Fair point.
I don't think it's arbitrary if the best players in the world have trouble doing more than one input of SDI consistently - the exact opposite of theorycrafting, to be precise. Consistency is also a factor which you ignore, and the easier inputs of a Smashbox do affect that. Plinking in SF4 was widely adopted by the community as the de facto way to play at a competitive level, so I hope you aren't overestimating the difficulty of the piano motion required for two or three inputs of SDI.

As far as the purist perspective goes, I want that to be something to work towards and to emulate given that people play in tournaments for money. Obviously for tournaments you're going to need setups with 20XX TE or maybe emulators - that's fine. And if somebody wants to plug in a Sega Pro Bass Fishing controller, I won't stop them. But the fact the Smashbox opens up so much new technology for such little practice bothers me deeply.

I need the juicy deets, user.

Only superficially. The analogue conversions fuck everything up.

What really fucks me is Gravy going to Hitbox of all manufacturers. If they had simply made an arcade stick with an analogue stick on one side, then I'd have no trouble with it. The buttons in place of an analogue stick are too fundamentally different from what a regular Gamecube controller does to have it be legal without opening the door to a bunch of weird bullshit.

Shit, I forgot to say what I was gonna say in the first place

Yeah, uh. No. Jesus christ, smashfags are fucking retarded.

Quite the opposite really. I've been stressing that execution matters more in the moment they compete rather than during at any arbitrary moment. Thus, consistency to execute when you need to is more important than how consistent you are at any arbitrary moment (like when practicing), hence my theorycrafting remark. It's like the difference between grinding out waveshines in your own time versus one's ability to perform them during a real match - with the latter, how you execute becomes far less important than knowing what to and when to execute.
The only "weird bullshit" there is to controller alternatives are macros. Everything else are either button mappings or bindings that already exist on existing legal controllers and therefore equally legal.

It occurs to me we haven't had a lot of discussion about actual tournaments going on. The highlight for me was n0ne's set vs dizzkidboogie at Don't Park on the Grass where n0ne ended up ragequitting - I don't normally like seeing stuff like that but the entire set was so fucking surreal I couldn't help but love it. Sadly it hasn't been uploaded to YouTube yet, but I can find a timestamp of the Twitch vod if anyone hasn't seen it.

In the meantime, have some n0ne vs Ice. Anybody else watch the tournament last weekend?

From what I've seen the arguments centre around the fact that the Smashbox takes an analogue input and replaces it with a digital button press. Instead of holding a stick in a certain position you just press buttons, which is easier. I'm impartial either way but it's interesting to see, because most fighting games don't have analogue inputs. If one came into existence any ruling on the Smashbox would impact that game's competitive scene as a precedent.
For comparison, the original Hitbox was banned because it spread the 4 arcade stick inputs over buttons, letting you hold left and right at the same time. In MvC3 if you do that you block no matter where the enemy is, meaning you don't have to anticipate which side of the screen they'll be on.
Also that controller in your pic was made by a competitive player who had wrist pain.

A mod that unlocks all customs by default and lets you pick them after selecting your character would be amazing. That way people could have proper battles with customs on, without having to fuck around with presets.

speaking of Don't Park on the Grass, who was the guy using the smashbox and if he was on stream and if his matches were uploaded?

I only skimmed through the vods on Twitch, but I don't think so. I think someone would have uploaded the archive by now if Gravy had demonstrated the Smashbox given its recent controversy.

There is, however, this demonstration at Battlegrounds 3 earlier this year.

wew

I don't know if this is in the WiiU version, but robin can perform an extra jump on top of a double jump if you fully charge his lightning bolt in mid-air. I could help with recovery, or just make you a sitting duck.

forgot flag

There were a lot of wacky things like that in 3DS, like Wario vectoring. A shame half the stages were awful and the game would end up destroying your circle pad if you played for too many hours.

My circle pad was destroyed by Sm4sh.
The only time a Nintendo console/controller really broke on me like that other than small cracks in NDS hinges.

Any melee samusfags wanna tell me how/when you use bombs?

How the fuck.
Did I just win because the dude wasn't used to fighting my retarded bomb playstyle, or are bombs the new meta for Samus?

He probably didn't have the adaptability to handle an outlandish playstyle. Pretty much every Sm4sh player is a huge tier whore, so they really can't deal with anything outside the meta.

Samus is actually good in Sm4sh, it's just that nobody bothers because she's considered low tier. Especially when Zero Suit Samus is a thing.
I'm a Sm4shfag, but I find bombs are great for retreating. Bomb while moving away and they'll either run into it and leave themselves open, or think twice about chasing you. And if they jump over it you can uair -> Screw Attack. It can also leave them open for the charge beam, which is ridiculous in Sm4sh. I don't know how this translates to Melee but the average Meleefag would probably see it coming.

Most jarring thing to me is that her bombs don't blow up on contact in smash 4

The most useful bombs are for engaging your opponent in Melee is doing some bomb-aerial pressure on shield, since the bomb immediately explodes and puts you into an actionable state, while doing decent shield damage. You can edgeguard with it by running off, bomb jumping back onstage, but it's very niche and doesn't really work against any character but Marth when he's trying to sweetspot. Even then, he can just wait or eat the bombs repeatedly.

There's also super wavedashing, but that isn't what you would call consistent.