What's the largest vidya game world you've experienced, Holla Forums?

What's the largest vidya game world you've experienced, Holla Forums?

Other urls found in this thread:

map.norsecorp.com/
myredditnudes.com/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Dorf?

I guess you're not into space vidya

Star Control 2

Not really… I like my feet to stay on the ground.
But OK… If in the concept that you can measure the overal size of the game's universe (worlds and shit, loading screens don't count) in a measurable distance then that counts too.

Try to beat Daggerfall. The square kilometer size equals the size of real life britain.

Wasn't Daggerfall randomly generated? It's still a YUGE map!

It was proceduraly generated but from the same seed every time IIRC so it was the same for everyone.

I'm not sure how big the various Witcher 3 maps fit in to OP's chart but they certainly felt big, with some nice actual empty space that wasn't filled every few feet with Draugr caverns and caves with bandits in them, making for some comfy walks in the woods.

I dunno, but it seems that there are objects that are defined and the wilderness between has procedurally generated wilderness.

Last time I checked Britain wasn't copy pasted 1 million times to make it seem bigger then it actually is.

Size is shit though. Depth and incentive is what matters.

Fallout 4 :^)

What the fuck are you on about?

Woman standards. Depth instead of size.

Wat?

How can you even argue otherwise ? A fuckhuge but uncreative and empty map is just worthless padding, as is an assortment of collectible that you have no incentive to collect. It's the reason why everybody panned Destiny.

Not including randomly generated, Battleground Europe.

you mean no mans sky

You've never fucking been to Britain then.

Daggerfall.

Size can create depth. I hate (space) games that don't have proper sense of scale.

This.
Still the only game worlds that I remember are these smaller ones.
Entire large world thing is one giant marketing move.

I get you.
I hate how most games with smaller worlds have quest to get someone lost but in reality the guy is 20 m away from the village. Or like in Fallout NV your starter city was 30m away from 2 most dangerous species in wasteland.

But at the same time if you will present me with Skyrim where 90% of world are copy pasted rocks and nearly all cities use same houses I will gladly prefer NV.

I'm generally not a fan of huge maps as the are often shit with no attention to detail.
As for big maps that actually have fine detail my favorite has to be ARMA.

Open world is dumb.

Minecraft is infinitely big.
:^)

I remember that quest in Oblivion where you were supposed to follow the landmarks described in a journal on what was supposed to be several days' journey, but you could easily see the the destination after a minute of walking.

This image is so much bullshit

First: can't you post a smaller version you fucking faggot

Second: Burnout Paradise isn't bigger than any GTA game and it has never been almost as big as JC2 you idiot

Pokemon, but as a series (including side-content) rather than a single game.
If you consider erofiction as being part of the game's world, then it's by far the largest game world I've experienced.

If we're talking sheer scale, as in physical geometry of the world, then that's pretty boring because there are games with big and empty worlds that could make the cut just because they're big.

What's bigger daggerfall or arena?

This world felt endless at the time.

Hate to be that guy but isnt it technically minecraft?

asscraft isn't infinite

You're officially that guy

For these maps there should be zones showing you where you can actually explore. Sure, farcry 2 has a big map, but how much of it is reachable?

But it's still bigger than any of the other games in this thread, no? I'd wager it's even bigger than a large rendered dorf fort world.

More like what's the empiest world

nigger you what

Some of the Dungeons (towns too?) were different across my saves. Quests targets were even more random on top of this.

muh nig

My life

???

Nice bot.

OP clearly said "game"

I'm going to take a step further and say a world that is fleshed out or is in the process of being fleshed out through a series of ongoing games. These games allow you to grow in the world and watch as it grows and forms alongside you through the hours and hours you put in. A big world is nothing to me if it isn't fleshed out and feels alive. Each and every character having their own lives instead of being static characters who only go through the same motions.

Falcom with their trails series nails this.

Metal Gear Solid 5, but not for good reasons.

The biggest i ever played is either Fallout: NV or Skyrim/Oblivion.
But the game that felt the bigger is def Morrowind, something about that fog.

Lotro has most likely increased in size since that chart was made, it is very fucking big and feels big and annoying to travel around without stable travel, making a single month sub more valuable since it permanently unlocks all fast travel on a per-character basis. A mount helps too but it will still take fucking forever without some of these locations unlocked for fast travel.

The witcher 3 : the wild hunt

And by "permanently unlocks all fast travel" I mean it unlocks the ability to use a majority of fast travel locations if you have discovered them with standard gold/silver/copper, some places are locked behind a "current or former sub" wall and require alternate currency to use if you are neither, also the boats at Evendim are all behind this wall so I hope you enjoy swimming an entire fucking lake from one end to the other multiple times.

Majora's Mask

So did life.

Sure would love to watch without faggots talking over it.

Wtf, those teeth.

WHAT, HOW IS THAT EVEN POSSIBLE IN A DEVELOPED COUNTRY, WHAT THE FUCK

I dont know that feel bro hahaha

LotRO is the shit. Love that game.

It doesn't show up on the world map until after a quest, it was released few years ago now.

Why

you can actually enter the elven city. It's now the hangout spot for players instead of the now deserted Grand Exchange.

Tale of two wasteland fo3/NV combined

i have dark souls but i cant get myself to play it dying constantly doesn't exactly sound like fun

To make your map feel larger, to waste player time in order to get them thinking that they're engaged (when in reality they're just doing busywork), and to spread pointless collectibles around.

witcher 3 is very huge even though if you just look at the map it does not seem so,
Velen is actually larger than all of skyrim.
I love this game.

Best RPG ever.

reeeee

How does this game hold up today?

Tropical sea at sunset with my crew singing Lowlands Away

Needed a nigga and CJ was busy

I still want to see them use Texas and the border to Mexico for a GTA setting, could tie well together with Red Dead since the second one is probably taking place in the same location as the first. Show that area in the modern day.

if theyre in france dont they still have to play by the rules and if they get another cease and desist theyre fucked?

She should only dance with her friends, they're so untalented, they make her seem better than she really is

Exile III: Ruined World maybe

what.

this

Is that the basilisk island or the monk island?

Monk Island.

Though I don't remember a basilisk island. I only really played Avernum 3, and not much beyond the shareware sections, even though I registered. I made heavy use of healing and editors and just slogged through everything.

Real life

I went through all of Eve online without using the warp drive

Best part of Oblivion

To fuck with the player.
In some games, it can be really rewarding.
Wurm Online's Xanadu map is a sprawling 630 mile mess and takes almost exactly as long as what you'd think to get from A to B. Topography is constant even if elements of the map are procedural, and it's actually pretty rewarding to get a boat and experience what the people of pre-antiquity must have felt when first making real boats. The awe of just being able to go on water for extended duration and moving many times faster (if the boat is well made) is great.
That's speaking especially of running a Cog, which still only brings you up to a bit over 7 times walking speed.

Pretty sure San Andreas should be bigger than Burnout Paradise..

This game's world is pretty big

Size literally does not matter unless there's shit to fill it in. See No Man's Sky.

Its easy to make a world that big when its just a couple pixels in the middle of the 2d map and you go into a menu to interact with it.

I know right?

Also this obviously

Excluding procedurally generated and infinite worlds like Minecraft and Factorio, it's probably Kerbal Space Program. Yeah, the solar system is only 1/10th the size of the real one, but that's still bigger than fucking anything where you're playing on a single planet. Granted, it's the best definition of nothingness between the destinations (being literal empty space), but still.

Op asked for a world, he got one. He never said graphics, honestly that one space game that's basically autism and spreadsheets can be absolutely massive. You could make a fucking space opera vidya gaem out of that for all your fluff and world building needs and Mass Effect fans who got disillusioned would flock to it with open arms.

Was this made in Washington?

:^)

Except every tile and object in dorf has more information than just "this type of block". Dorf is far larger and complex than minecraft.

If those maps are all to the same scale, a single, 4 way intersection in Burnout Paradise is larger than a village in Oblivion.

You are all scrubs

FUEL is great but the terrain often has places where it doesn't look natural at all.
Also fuck the devs for locking hundreds of events to debug mode so that even if you can unlock them via mods they never appear in the map and you have to find them yourself.

fucking hell when are they gonna finish antartica? it's been a placeholder for god knows how long

checked
I only wish they would use their open world tech for something of a Fallout mixed with Mad Max. Having a story and quests in this open world would be ultimate

downloading torrent right now
i tried the demo and felt that it could be alright

So lets take the procedurally generated shenanigans and find the largest example, no limits. What would it be?

Starflight had 800 star systems. They are generated with some fractal mumbojumbo each time the game is run from the same seed so the entire thing fits in a 360K floppy. I read somewhere they had to retool the algorithm several times and limit the maximum amount of systems. Otherwise, simply because of the sheer amount of shit generated, the game would spit out planets named after swears and political figures.
I wonder how far you could push that little algorithm.

I thought JC2 was shit. Game posed zero challenge there were only 3 or 5 soldiers on screen. Being creative with the zipwire and attaching it to shit was fun but only for a few minutes.

Large worlds can be good or bad

The problem most people have with massive game worlds is "Too much empty space!" syndrome, space vidya itself is notorious for falling victim to this. Its easy to just make a big empty box and tout your game as "the largest open world"
The whole idea is being able to create an open world with sufficient attention to detail. If the whole idea was simply to make a game world massive Minecraft would be considered one of the best games ever made but its not by any means, as Minecraft is the size of several Earths

Overall one of the best open worlds out there, and people will care to disagree, is Grand Theft Auto Vs rendition of San Andreas. Its not only an entire 50 square miles but I genuinely feel like no space was wasted. The desert is fill of offroading trails and pedestrian trails and the roads are always lined with buildings. The only think in GTA V that could even come close in my opinion to wasted space is the water and mountains, but one could argue those exist to compliment the landscape

Shit opinion there, mister
Entire north parth is wasted, just as the "interesting" parts of the east coast

Overall one of the best open worlds out there, and people will care to disagree, is Grand Theft Auto Vs rendition of San Andreas. Its not only an entire 50 square miles but I genuinely feel like no space was wasted.
Yeah nah. GTAV felt like the biggest waste of potential in regards to its world. The 'rim' of the island is only populated near the city and the rest is just pointless areas with nothing in them which you can tell were thrown in there for the multiplayer. The entire northern tip of the island is useless outside of that heist and the desert has so little to do it's pointless having all of those paths since you can cut right across it.

All they had to do was centralize the map, put the city closer to the middle and have less small outposts and have larger 'towns' with different themes scattered around the edge.

Fucking Starflight, muh nigga.

Good. It's a must-play for any gamer.

So glad to see people posting Starflight in this thread.

Yeah, that's a good point. I'd be curious to see how these various games would be scaled if they were normalized to how long it takes to cross the map using a reasonable commonly available speed. (Say, Oblivion and WOW on horse, modern games in a normal speed car)

Does wurm count? The maps are pretty huge, and continents can be linked through server nodes too.

Well shit. That didn't work. Either way, you can look up wurm maps and see how huge they are, since 1 pixel = 1 tile.

There is a shitload of wasted space, and the largeness of the world comes mostly from missions - nearly every interesting area/street/road in the game, you visit throughout some main game mission or larger side mission.

Goddamn that map was great, I can't believe how shit Just Cause 3 felt in comparison.
Not only did it feel tiny it lacked any cool shit that JC2 had.

On one hand YUGE gayme maps are normally quantity > quality but if it's not like that and you can drive cars in 3 hours it's already getting repetitive.
It gets even worse if the game is shit like any forza and you could walk from one side of the map to the other in a day's walk

get out

fuck i accidentally posted.
Anyway it gets even worse if the game is shit like forza where in a few hours you could walk the size of the map in real life and the entire thing is a single non-varying landscape where every road is copypasted

FSX

link ploz, I can only find dead torrents

So has most of Africa

Kingdoms of amalur was big
But it also kinda sucked

The first few games really had you feel like you were going on an adventure.

It was better than Skyrim
But then again, what wasn't?
Oblivion was better than Skyrim
Dark Souls was better than Skyrim
Dragon's Dogma was better than Skyrim
Let's start listing some games worse than Skyrim that were released at around the same time.

as recommended by share thread, always check igg-games/gamestorrent
magnet:?xt=urn:btih:GX3XUU3X2IAPDHUBZCKDGDMHKQVRS2TL&dn=FUEL%20%5bMULTI5%5d%5bPCDVD%5d%5bWwW.GamesTorrents.CoM%5d&tr=udp%3a%2f%2ftracker.coppersurfer.tk%3a6969&tr=udp%3a%2f%2fexodus.desync.com%3a6969&tr=udp%3a%2f%2ftracker.leechers-paradise.org%3a6969&tr=udp%3a%2f%2fzer0day.ch%3a1337&tr=udp%3a%2f%2fopen.demonii.com%3a1337

Also the "destinations" are also themselves empty nothing.

Holy shit no, Oblivion was trash. Worst TES game to date.

Morrowind > Skyrim > Oblivion

cheers mate you are a gentleman

This thing’s free?! Is it fun? A half-scale Europe sounds like a shit-ton of fun just to fuck around in, driving around and getting into hijinks.

Adding just the land area of each of the bodies is the only thing that would matter there. Even then, it’s not tiny.

dunno the scale compared to other games and I only explored yurop before quitting (got killed by pvpers near the coast of africa every fucking time) but this game I guess.

I like this version better.
map.norsecorp.com/

Someone never played Skyrim
Daggerfall = Morrowind > Oblivion > Skyrim
is Arena worth playing?

Daggerfall by far.

fucking casuals

daggerfall had a large persistent overworld twice the size of great britain

arena is technically larger but everything is segmented; you cannot actually walk across the map

combat is 90's-unplayable and holds it back

If this counts, Noctis IV's galaxy is twice the radius of the Milky Way.

Disgusting fucking newfag cancer itt. Get a wider frame of reference and learn to fucking lurk or go back to whatever shit hole you crawled out of

Does this count?

What, they have Gondor now?

Im still pissed at Unknown Worlds for taking my build 249 fade and replacing it with that xbox controller crap.

says the nigger holding a teacup and pretending he's a white 1950's american

Mind explaining what you're talking about with 249 fade? Google didn't explain shit.

Elite 2 and 3.

The larger the world, the more boring it generally is. Games with car driving can technically mitigate that problem because you can travel long distances very easily, and driving is typically fun and more than just a mean of travel (e.g. GTA games) and require a lot of space.

Runescape is pretty exceptional in how packed in content it is despite being so large, you can't walk 10 seconds in any direction without running into stuff you can interact with or buildings you can enter or monsters to fight.

Is it good? Spending a day killing other players to capture one lousy village does sound fun