Indie early access survival game with crafting mining building and zombies/dinos/etc

This genre is so fucking huge and widespread yet there isn't a single good game it the entire genre

Why

it worked once so now everyone does it for the $$$

It worked once? When?

Minecraft.

Do you mean it worked because it sold or it worked because it was good?

im assuming you meant me, and it sold well is what i meant

Survival-crafting is the culmination of many people's vidya desires, it's a pipe dream. Will never be good because it would need a fucking shitton of work and that's not what fagvelopers who jump on the bandwagon want to do. Modders could fix everything, but there's always something in the way of their progress.

The problem is that more often than not they're toys, not games proper. They have no direction, no goal, they're just a bunch of mechanics strung together with no higher purpose other than to repeat them endlessly so you can unlock the next tier of items, so you can unlock the next tier of items, etc.

Another problem is that said mechanics are more often than not poorly thought out and implemented, and the "games" lack any features to distinguish themselves one from the other besides choice of artstyle and location.

Sounds like every MMORPG since WoW

So, things being done for the sole sake of doing them again?

Craft new stuff to get newer stuff to craft newer stuff to get newer stuff to craft newer stuff to get newer stuff to craft newer stuff to get newer stuff to craft newer stuff to get newer stuff to craft newer stuff

But MMOs at the very least rest on the premise of interacting with other players, and most feature narratives and objectives, and if all else fails they can still rely on PvP or raids to keep people entertained.

All these survival games have very shallow gameplay mechanics, you'll see most of what they have to offer in the first few hours, the rest of your time spent on playing them being a simple iteration of what you're already doing.

You're basically required to invent your own fun, which some people autists find engaging, but most people grow bored of aimlessly doing the same repetitive tasks over and over again without any tangible reward. If they wanted that they already have their day jobs where they grind on into perpetuity.

Pretty much. At least most games attempt to obfuscate the repetition of mechanics by overlaying them with a narrative to give the player purpose in playing along, or carefully structure the game to slowly feed the players new stuff over time, or to recontextualize mechanics by mixing things up, be it through level design or introduction of new enemies.

Survivals games, relying on their procedurally generated nature, lack the human touch and unique setpieces or levels that would stave off boredom.

Oh god it's spreading

/erp/ escapee here pls run

pls

The end times are here.

None of these three things are very compatible. That's the problem. You can't just cram a whole lot of separate genres into one video game and expect it to work.

Now you let me tell you something: I'm from /furry/ and I say KILL THE BUI!

git gud

Nah.

Because problem 1
and problem 2

Does Don't Starve count? That game is alright.

You can't do so without focus. Don't Starve was the one game that didn't shit the bed because they didn't try to do too much and they added features/content corroborated with their overall design goal.

That's your answer, right there. And it's too ambitious for some nu-male twenty-year old who has never really made video games before.
A lot of the time, they'll have some big grand idea but they're spending more time fixing bugs that don't fucking exist. Or they're just lazy shits who pretend they're patching the game.

Sure, you've got some few developers who are actually doing Early Access well but that's like three games I count count on my hand compared to the hundred turds that developers and consumers have given up on.

If you buy Early Access in this current year, you've got gullible retard imprinted on your forehead and deserve to be scammed out of your money. No excuses, I fell for the scam when it got introduced years ago too.

7 Days to Die is good.

Terraria works, kind of. Every single thing you find or unlock serves as a carrot on a stick that guides you to the next material, tool, NPC, boss battle etc.

7 Days To Die is the only good one i've played, longest dark looks interesting mainly because it doesn't have any stupid shit in it but I'll wait till that one is finished

Terraria.

COULD THE LEGEND OF THE GIANT WILLY BE TRUE?

Does Don't Starve count?

When will this meme die.

I like Don't Starve but I still hate the fact they went and made a multiplayer one, leaving single-player high and dry.

Oxygen Not included looks like it has potential, I hope to see more soon

Canada Simulator at least stands out because of the setting and nozombies.

Because survival games are inherently shit, they are built around repeating the same tasks ad nauseum.

The same could be said of all video game genres.

True but in most vidya those tasks are generally more interesting than gathering wood and food.