/agdg/ + /vm/

Amateur German Development General edition.
Amateur Deutsche Entwicklungs Allgemeine Edition.

Resources/Rohstoffe:
>>>/agdg/
>>>/vm/

Previously/Vorher:

:^)

Other urls found in this thread:

archive.fo/38wda
filedropper.com/1111_11
lazyfoo.net/tutorials/SDL/
open.gl/transformations
gitgud.io/fgsfds/sigmarenderer
boards.fireden.net/a/thread/135465299/#135466694
roguebasin.com/index.php?title=Complete_Roguelike_Tutorial,_using_Python+libtcod,_extras#A.2A_Pathfinding
my.mixtape.moe/smurph.mp4
philipstorr.id.au/pcbook/book3/scancode.htm
mega.nz/#!h99xmI5R!kFdiStdXPdt3MW6O7-0daTiL_Buqva1hIPA0-tuM6c8
mega.nz/#!9pl1yYJY!mls_Q4QIt_-JrEaQ8fnYo59O6gf88pXwXO1-R6eG_Jk
gumroad.com/l/opentoonz-linux
github.com/cinder/Cinder/wiki/Cinder-for-Linux-|-Ubuntu-15.X-on-x86_64
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

First for cooking

Will you actually put guns as a recipe? :^)

Still some bugs that I need to work out but the basic system of picking up items and then putting them down is functional.

probably not

That's terror and you know it. Terror built into the system

3D volumetric inventory? thats interesting, but never actually saw it in action, which game other than Star Citizen has this?
(checked)
terror + cooking = yanderes?

I…I… I don't know.

I blame those new refugee strains.

I haven't seen it in any other games, I didn't even know Star Citizen had it.

i was feeling like shit yesterday, but i managed to make up for it today
PROGRESS FEELS GOOD

The ship cargo will be actual boxes you have to fit inside your ship, i found that mindblowing, i wish we could discuss the game here on Holla Forums without people going FUCKOFF SCAMCITIZEN SHILL REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Of course, the Jews want to unleash a mighty Jungle AIDS back into the countrys of Europ and making a decent living out of that. Fucking Sandniggers ruining everything with their bullshit and the fucking anarcho commies are even defending their damn Jihad.

Absolutely haram

No m8 Ahmed ain't no "New German".

I have autism and have an iq of 899
how do make game

you just do it

what kind of game you want to make?
and for what platform?

i want to makes the next meincrafts n be rich liek notch

(from previous thread)
Good point, I'll keep this in mind…

I'm making a 32-bit enum flag to track the map tile data which is used for both effects/hazards when entering the tile, as well as minimap data. The problem is that I have approximately 46 things to include and I don't know what to cut.

Fog tiles don't reveal walls (and make the tile hard to see when you're inside it) unless you bump into them. So, this means that I need a flag for each wall direction. But there's also walls, doors, and secret doors that might be revealed, so this takes up a lot of flag space (I did manage to condense the 12 flags into 8 bits, though)

Another is tile features like a "mover" or "facing" hazard, which moves you or makes you look in a direction, respectively. They can really fuck with you if you're not paying attention or you're moving through the dungeon quickly, but the movers in particular feel out of place in the game, but I kind of want to include them. There was an ice tile that behaved as you'd expect, too.

Finally there was shallow water, but I haven't come up with what it does to you (in the source game, it would slowly drain HP from drowning, but a later version had both shallow and deep, with deep having an oxygen bar, which is what I will be doing). I also thought of a swamp tile that acts like water but can poison you, plus quicksand which can make you lose hp and sometimes unequipped items. I was also thinking of lava and acid tiles that dealt periodic damage (eg 1d6) while you were standing in them every few seconds, and if you were fully immersed you'd take a lot more (eg 2d8)

Do any of these sound too shitty to include?

That's a pretty weird scrotum

Right clicking button widgets in unreal 4 is retarded

I can't understand why this isn't supported nativly like normal clicking is

Welp, my 4th mobile game is nearly done.

Anyone know a good way to use C instead of PHP for backend for a browser game? I know theres the php exec command, but that doesn't really seem optimal. I want to try taking a shot at making a browser rpg/mmo'ish game like runescape.

Why would you ever use PHP for the backend of a browser game?

>Anyone know a good way to use C instead of PHP

I know what you wrote, dumbass.

It's like 3 in the morning here

I've been doing a roguelike using python/libtcod. I followed a tutorial. I have a problem with the monster movement, as it seems unable to follow me around corners. See the video. What can I do to fix it?

The code that manages movement
(code)
if libtcod.map_is_in_fov(fov_map, monster.x, monster.y):
if monster.distance_to(player) >= 2:
monster.move_towards(player.x, player.y)
elif player.fighter.hp > 0:
monster.fighter.attack(player)
(/code)

I am in a miserable state of being exhausted yet can't go to sleep. Google has told me that node.js can interface between javascript and C++ which is cool though.

I kinda doubt that will happen again, Mr. 8chon Hacker. Why don't you maintain minetest instead?

It would be easier to make "the next minecraft" from scratch than try to salvage the abomination that is Minetest.

Kinda off topic but still somewhat related to gamedev.
Does anyone know of any sites or documents about starting a business? I am going to start a game dev studio when I have some experience under my belt.
I can't work on game dev for the time being so I want to read up about businesses so I feel don't like a complete waste.

"The next minecraft" most likely wouldn't be a game like Minecraft, anyway.

Business startup stuff is entirely dependent on where you live and what the legislation is over there. Unless you're going to hire people it's probably ideal to only start one when your first game's nearly done, anyway.

It wouldn't, because "a game like minecraft" apparently means "a carbon copy of minecraft with no new ideas at all" to anyone who tries, and that'll obviously never work because Minecraft already exists.

I live in the UK, I can get knowledge of the laws and such but have no idea about managing people, payments, etc. The problem is google isn't being helpful, I know some people who ""could"" help me but probably won't be helpful.
My intention is after making a few games by myself is to start up a business with two or three other people and make a game to actually sell. I have no intention of selling games I've made myself since I can't do art or music.

Pretty much this. Also, you are going to want to start thinking about getting a good lawyer sooner rather than later to keep you in the legal green and protect you from other peoples lawyers. You pay them to make sure other people don't fuck you over. This is especially the case if you plan on selling your games. It's shitty that it's necessary these days but it's the nature of the beast.
If you work solo on your first couple of games and play it safe you can probably get away without having a lawyer while you build up enough reserves to actually start the studio proper.

That's not even close to all the code that manages movement. In the future, you should be careful about that when you ask those kinds of questions, if I wasn't bored enough to google the tutorial I wouldn't have been able to help you.

It looks to me like the problem is in the way move_towards() normalizes and rounds the vector. Work out the math for yourself on the frame in pic related. Actually, it seems really pointless to calculate a vector at all if you are using neither the magnitude nor the direction.

dx = target_x - self.x
if dx != 0:
dx = copysign(1, dx)

and again for y should give you what you need without calculating vectors at all, barring any syntax I may have fucked up as I don't really use python.

*and again for dy, rather

then you need a ton of luck or be a genius to find the right market niche before anyone else does

Have you tried to make a 3D snap-grid for the inventory system? Just asking because I could easily see people getting frustrated by trying to cram things in there with pixel perfect precision.

Threadly reminder that Justin Trudeau has made, completed and released a game. Have you?

archive.fo/38wda

Justin "Cucking for Canda" Trudeau needs to be destroyed, that whimp faggot is destroying his nation and I worked on my shit much longer then that faggot will ever do with his 1-2 day "code" block programs.

thanks user. I'm a newb.

sup /adgd/ i'm bored

Me too

I finished my last project

I need a new dumb idea to make

Or I guess I could do the ludum dare tonight.. themes are kinda meh though

the best fishing system ever made
in C# so i can steal it :^)

i'm working on a random snowflake generator

You want to start a kikestarter?

(checked)
Are they special? :^)

Why are germanics such huge fucking snowflakes that they have to make their own generals everywhere they go, no matter how small and negligible they are in numbers?

For the same reason the eternal Anglo are pushing their English language on Germany/Europe you nignog.

they're not snowflakes and they aren't even random right now, but hey, IT'S A BETA

it's a hard-hitting reality, i've accepted it, but i've also realized that not being ultra top-tier game director shouldn't stop me from trying to make the game i'd want to play

autism.jpeg

Born too late to become a AAA director, born too early to revive the industry from the next crash, but born just in time to make the next Minecraft :^).

It's only impossible if you think it is. If they could do it why can't you?

i will

I'm making an online multiplayer danmaku and obviously wanted to avoid syncing thousands of bullets to clients, so pretty pleased with solution I came up with: the server sends an emitter recipe to the client which then generate bullets for drawing locally. The recipe contains instruction indexes and parameters for them as a flat array of ints, then those get parsed locally. A bit like assembly instructions I guess.

What implementations have you guys done lately that you were happy about?

I have added in total 5 different ore models which should hopefully make the Ore Extraction process a bit less dull, some few more muzzleflash and other minor changes. My mod is shaping up nicely.

can you have a tank that collects minerals by crushing them riding over?
to balance not using the correct method the yields could be significantly lower

Because they got in before video games was a multi-billion dollar industrial machine with real-world actors playing starring roles in every AAA release and production teams that sometimes exceed 1,000 employees.

Oh shit, Ludum Dare is on again?
If the theme is good and someone can code, I'd be up to do some art.

Game maker studio question here. Is there a way to define wall collision with collision_rectangle? I want to stop the character with precise collision box from clipping on a wall. Pls be fast, thx.

I think 50% less should do it and luckily it does work, for testing purpose I increased the yield for the "crush" damage. My only concern is if it works properly in multiplayer which I need to do some testing for that soon enough.

They changed the rules of how the theme gets enforced which is much more relaxed, you can pick any theme you like but doing so might decrease your overall/theme score.

That's pretty neat, honestly. I don't give much of a shit about popularity but rather to make a fun prototype. I've skipped on some LD's because the theme was so bad.

Are python based languages supposed to be shitty? I have to give up on Godot because coding with a python based language feels awful to me. Everything has to be extremely specific and I feel like a lot of what I have to do even to get a basic main menu functioning requires me to type out a bunch of redundant code.
I'm going back to Unity for a while unless anyone can convince me why Godot is actually easier than Unity to program for.

Python is perfectly good for some quick scripting, but it's simply not going to provide the kind of speed that a compiled language like C/C++ or C# provides.
Not familiar with Godot or C#, I'm mainly a C-with-classes programmer, dropped all the excess C++ crap years ago. I've had some experience with python here and there though, for example for exporting data out of Blender.

Not with that attitude you won't.

If "Wait, are we the bad guys?" wins, how much trouble would I get in for making a game where you're fighting nazis?

You can just leave it up to interpretation which side you actually meant, but we would be in the know.

Being too vague is no fun. A quick 'n dirty flight sim where you're bombing supply lines to concentration camps or something.

What, every commie and libshit would celebrate your game for being able to show those "muh 6 million Holocauster" who is the boss.

Even commies and libshits are intelligent enough to realize that if you fight the nazis, and you're the bad guy, something smells shitlordy.
I think. Never underestimate commie stupidity.

Since you're talking about a game related to history, you might receive criticism based on how historically accurate you are or how good you make the Nazis look.
But most gamers are looking more to play something fun than they are looking for accuracy and realism.
See pic related, had a multiplayer mode where you can play as the japs or americans, played it with my brother a bunch, tons of fun bazooka-ing everyone. No blood in the game, hardly realistic by any measure, but it was fun, and that's all that really mattered to us kids at the time.

oh so you wanted to add some sort of subtle message to it, hmm idk mayne give a shot I guess.

Also if the commies had any sort of self-awarness or you know intelligence then they wouldn't be a commie in the first place as communism is broken as fuck and the poor people gets fucked over to hell and back, for example if you are poor and are not working you are considered as a parasite as well that they did heavy usage of espionage and psychopolitics it was so bad you couldn't trust your neighborhood.

HAHAHAhahaha

I wonder how subtle you have to be to make a game that's essentially a allegory for WW2 and secret societies without getting suicided.

I have an idea to mix billiard and breakout, but it will come as another breakout clone, Any ideas to male it exciting?
Like should I spend time getting good particles, sounds and artwork?
How bout mechanics?

hmm well Deus Ex made it pretty well if you ask me.

this isn't what the tutorial told me would happen

nobody will care unless you make really obvious nazi propoganda

What tutorial did you watch/use ?

Anyone wants the newest version of aseprite? I'm compiling it right now.

fugg, didnt mean to quote

I've been testing out using Trenchbroom 2 for my Quake 2 engine game. I'm building a shopping mall style location

I'm intending for it to be much wider and less boxy. I'm mostly trying to get scale down right now.

Aseprite 1.1.11

filedropper.com/1111_11

You've got that right. I'm shamefully making a mod for minecraft right now, and it's so much easier than trying to do the same for minetest because of course, there's no base game content to hook into.
Minecraft's code is an absolute labyrinth, but you can still kind of get the idea of what you can do, and forge just makes it easy to change/override events.
Currently trying to figure out how to detect ores or register ore variants from a config file so I can override the default block behavior.

Well I managed to fix my issue here

I have 42 unique map elements (wall, door, secret door NESW for 12 of them, various hazards, etc) and managed to squeeze it into a 32 bit enum. It's awful.

For example, if both a wall is present you can't go through it. If a door is present, you can, and it has the door graphic. If both are present, it's actually a secret door and draws only the wall until its discovered. There's 14 elements that have boolean semantics, and another pair of things that has 3 bits for 4 values.

Kill me

Ludum Dare starts in less than an hour. Anyone going to participate this year, even if not officially?

Added frosting… and pretty much it, fucking Dota2 major is distracting me too much
At least with this i finished all recipe archetypes, over 80 of them total

A friend of mine is

これかわいいです

repeat until suicide

game from scratch

Man. That would be so sweaty and have a faint smell of Repel.

Bui is spamming here again, just work on your game until codemonkey sorts it out.

Swap hd drives.One pc with a pull out tray for various hds. I use it for diffrent os for testing hardware.

ONE PUNCH

kek

but yeah probably this

Question. Why do concept artists who aren't making concept art for any specific project always draw these nice sprawling landscapes or titanic creatures but when it comes to video games you get nothing like that?
Why are game devs so afraid of massive scale? The only games I can really think of(off the top of my head) that really try and make a contrast between large and small is the King Kong video game, Xenoblade Chronicles, Shadow of The Colossus and God of War series.

because no one knows how to make videogames

How's ASSFAGGOTS 2? I haven't played it in a good year and a half.

You need to shitpost less user.

Because it's a huge game design hassle. You either have to make it so that the enemy has an enormous amount of health or has really obvious weakspots that make the player dislike the boss fight. There's plenty of examples of bigger scale boss fights in older games and with few exceptions they tended to not be as enjoyable. It's usually treated as a boss encounter that you have to heavily script, and why bother if the player will probably dislike it anyway.

I mean I think one of the reasons why Shadow of the Colossus just focused on it's 16 boss fights and almost nothing else was because it was such a huge challenge to make just one on it's own.

I remember the last game I liked that had a massive boss fight was Metal Gear Rising Revengeance because of how specific each boss was with it's patterns and you had to get really good at dodging it's attacks. But that was because the game focused so heavily on skill based timing with it's block/dodge.

Modern video games tend to not emphasize skill based movement or dodging. They emphasize button mashing and counter buttons because that's what modern players want. Both of which are better in smaller scale games where you just fight regular guys like Arkham games.

Looks like you need to rethink your life

Ah this faggot nigger got triggered again?

No. It's someone impersonating him. He's been helping mitigate the spam.

Fuck my life for real mang.

The reason why that is is because UDP doesn't require constant packets being sent back and forth. You can just send one to update the server with. It's why in online multiplayer games your character will often still be moving around despite your connection lagging. It allows players of higher pings to still somewhat play the game on a server.

The reason TCP is used for browsers is partially due to security but also because it's more reliable. So that when you say read a web page you don't just get half of it and the browser calls it a day because it didn't receive the rest of the packets.

It fucks everything up because I'm planning for conditions with 100s of units on screen at a time, and I'm worried about the server updating to the client.

Oh boy a furnigger that impersonates another furnigger by means of spamming, what could go wrong.

I like how this nigger heavily spammed at Holla Forums and wrote something along the lines that he "per se" has nothing against Holla Forums but there is still something he doesn't like it, yeah guess what you insufferable faggot if Holla Forums had their way niggers like you would have been put into the fucking TRASH.

hello friendos

hello friendos

hello friendos

hello friendos

unrelated but what happened to kissanime? anyone knows where it moved to?

hello pajeet

I think it is wise just to report that post and not replying to him, fucking triggered cunt.

(you)

Any nodevs have tutorials around game algorithms and methods? I feel like everything I write is coded wrong, doesn't help that I'm using C#
I don't want to swamp myself in inefficient and sloppy code

lazyfoo.net/tutorials/SDL/
If you want to write code 'right', my recommendation would be to work towards writing everything in C, but allow the use of C++ classes (no other C++ features, so essentially 'C with classes'). But I think a lot of people in this thread will tell you C# is perfectly fine

SDL isn't really my thing, I perfer SFML
I'm using monogame/xna, which doesn't have a whole lot on in-depth tutorials like writing classes, draw methods, so on
The one I came close to was a shotty video tutorial by CodingMadeEasy, who can be very hard to listen to and seems to be very forgetful.

Welp, looks like the spam on this board or this thread has been mitigated for now, thanks based moderators for dem help.

Sage for Off-Topic.

also

roommate helping me is sick as shit so i have to work on it PLUS, im high on coffee and mtn dew

give me the strength /agdg/

For someone just getting into gamedev, wouldn't you think they should be able to focus on the algorithmic parts first? With C you'd probably be focusing more on solving the problems of "coding in C" (memory bugs and stuff) rather than just learning how to be algorithmically sound. I mean even if you wrote a game in Java or Python, yeah it'd be way slower than in C/++, but at least you get to be more abstract about building your first games.

WHY DOES FIGHTER FACTORY FUCK OVER MY SPRITES WHEN IM FIGURING OUT THE FUCKING TRANSPARENCY FUCK MY LIFE

Seemed like a good old trashy third person shooter from what I saw, the kind that were everywhere back in the PS2/ OG Xbox days. Maybe it's nostalgia, but I'm glad someone bothered making another one.

I'd suggest you should work on your stuff from time to time or so, or maybe try scheduling a bit by working on it 1-2 hours at least which is better than having no progress at all.

You can do it nigga

I'm surprised there isn't already DLC.

what if nobody's cheering me on

What are you working on m8?

I'm struggling with 3D transformation matrices.
I did fine with making a 2D transformation matrix, which handled object scale, rotation, and translation as well as camera rotation and translation, but it just isn't working for 3D, rotation causes everything to move weirdly.

How is a good 3D translation matrix supposed to be constructed?

open.gl/transformations
It is the same thing, but with a dimension extra and instead of having only one axis to rotate around, you got three.

I tried treating it as being that simple, but it just isn't working.
Pic related shows the working 2D matrix on the bottom, and the faulty 3D extension of it on the top.

You're not actually allowed to just add together the camera and object rotation/translation. It only works in 2D because everything is on the same plane, but they really ought to be separate.

Your object should be scaled&rotated, then moved to its world position, then you should substract the camera position, then you should apply the reverse of the camera rotation to it, and then your projection transform.

welp i got a animation its shit but i need more frames.

also fucking gimp is killing me

I think 2 is pretty great. Probably one of the best cinematic experiences I've had with a game. It really feels like I'm playing an action blockbuster.
On top of that…

1 basically feels like the beta version of 2, and 3 is a slight step down due to copying the formula, but losing the great pacing. Still haven't beaten 4 yet. Got about halfway, then Overwatch took over my life. So far, it's been pretty great.

Well, that solved the issue!
At least, I think it did.
Seems like what should be a rotation of the camera instead looks like the camera orbiting the scene.

There's a lot of fuckery in regards to order you have to keep in mind.

First of all, matrix transformations are applied in the reverse order that you multiply them.

Secondly, you have to keep in mind that the order in which you apply rotations also makes a difference. Rotating 90deg around Y and then around X has a different outcome as rotating 90deg around X and then around Y.

Then of course there's the whole gimbal lock thing, which might mean you'll end up rewriting some stuffs to use quaternions, but you'll just have to see what you wanna do when you run into those issues. Aside from redoing the math it shouldn't be a lot of effort.

I value comfyness more than anything else.

thank seizure man

So you're saying it should be the reverse of this?

That post is so ironic from my perspective, because my custom CSS makes every post ending in a 26 shake constantly.

Yes, assuming your matrix library is mathematically correct.
See the link I posted here for examples. You can see that he does Projection * Cameraview * Modelview * vertex, thus first applying the Modelview transformation, then the Cameraview, and then the projection.

So A*B*C applies C, then B, then A. (Brackets do not change anything. (AB)C == A(BC).)

is it viable to make a total war clone in EU4 or should i just roll my own engine
I was thinking about doing it with sprites in sfml but the more i think about the more im convinced I need models and animations to make it viable
Also anyone know of any total war clones that have been made?

Reversing the order of multiplication just causes everything to stay in place and rotate as the camera rotates.

And I've already checked to make sure that the matrices multiply correctly.

Chew you have a single snackisfact.jpg

Both are being used. Which one is better depends on the game.

It's a bit more complicated than that. It's true that, unlike TCP, UDP is connectionless. However, you still want a constant connection for games, so even games that use UDP implement that particular feature of TCP. Which one to use when becomes clearer, if you understand what TCP does that UDP doesn't.
You absolutely need this for your game, because otherwise you don't know about the quality of the connection to each peer and, more importantly, don't know if he dropped off the server due to connection errors. You also would get trouble controlling the amount of players on your server, if random clients could simply send data to it.
If you send three packages to someone over UDP, it's not guaranteed that he will receive them in the correct order. He might get 3,1,2 rather than 1,2,3.
When something goes wrong during a TCP transmission (faulty or missing packages), TCP lets the sender know and he automatically repeats the transmission to correct the error. With UDP there is no such thing.

It is that back and forth (the error correction) that makes the biggest difference for realtime applications like video games. Realtime applications are applications that need to finish their job within a certain time frame. There is soft realtime (games) where failing to meet the deadline results in a degradation of quality. If your game doesn't do all its calculations within 16.6 ms, it won't run at 60 fps. It will still function though; just worse. There is firm realtime (VOIP) where every package that doesn't make in time is considered useless, but where the system as a whole will keep functioning, so long that most packages do make it in time. VOIP is a beautiful example of where UDP makes sense and TCP doesn't. If a package doesn't make it in time, there is no use in sending it again to correct the error as TCP does, because it's already considered useless. Then there are hard realtime where failing to meet the deadline even a single time is considered a total, uncorrectable system failure. Examples would be auto pilots or the system that controls the airbags of a car.

What does this mean for games? Every realtime game should use a custom "TCP-lite" protocol on top of UDP. You need some features of TCP, but not all of them. In particular the error correction needs to be dropped, because you face the same situation as VOIP here. For turn-based games however, you should absolutely use TCP.

LEAVE THE GERMANIC PEOLPE ALONE REEEEEEEEEEEE

The fuck you doing man? Is this supposed to be for a flash game or something? Do you know how to use gimp?

Welp.

Not sure what your expectations were.
Anyway, the groove at the bottom is an unbroken line and wastes all the effort gone into making it tile seamlessly.

i know how to use gimp. its just taking time for me to remember how it works.
and no i'm making a fighting game that ive wanted to make for a long time since high school. its just i have no art tablet and fucking mouse is being a pain in the dick

Don't use gimp to animate, you madman. Use Flash, Toonboom, even Krita has a proper timeline now. Heck, I wouldn't be surprised if SAI had one as well.

Well the point of remaking the OTA Textures that I have is to have them in higher-resolution at least the base texture in the hopes that even in 64-128 resolution or so would be looking a bit better. I am a bit jealous how the Doom HD texture looks like. And reducing the likehood that Wargaming would sue my ass over that damn shit (Yes they did bought the TA IP last year I haven't heard yet what they are going to do with it.)

Hmm yeah you might be right on that one but on Krita it doesn't seems to be that bad meh fuck this I cannot be arsed to fiddle with it again for the third time.

You're better of making them traditionally and scanning them then.
Pencil, ink, watercolor, crayons or whatever.
Would probably sell better a lot better too.

I mean thats what im doing kinda.
draw on traditional scan/snap a picture and re-do on pc. its a pain in the dick but, eh, i'm persevering through my bitching

Are you done with the game or are you focusing on the assets? I would highly suggest leaving asset creation for after you have the game working.
Also the asset looks like something a highschooler drew.
If you're gonna draw with a mouse, lower mouse sensitivity and make use of the path tool for steady/curved lines. I would really recommend you not use drawings for characters.
Remember, the quality of an artist's work is not determined by his tools, but by his mastery of his tools.

There's also lazyNezumi.

to give you some insight. its gonna be made in mugen (because i used to dick around in mugen when i was in 8th grade. made 1 SUCCESSFUL character then pc fried itself) then hopefully reworked in its own program so i can make a mediocre amount of money

so i know what im doing for the most part, its a fun project that i've wanting to do for awhile so not only would it be good learning experience i can get good feed back from others to see the fuck is wrong.

You should probably post an animation if you want critique on it, not just a green flashing picture.

i'll gladly post one when i finish my weak, med, and heavy test animations

POST PROGRESS PICS NOW OR THE DOG GETS IT

I haven't made any progress, user…

Don't do it

UNLESS YOU WANT FIDO TO BE EATING 9MM KIBBLE I SUGGEST YOU DO!

Not a video game in and of itself, but I'm making a Quake map.

Sorry, have to keep my progress under wraps for now, user…
The dog will have to get it.

Looking a little Serious Sam-like. Except rustier.

I made this! Don't hurt poor pupper.

What are you, some kind of a china man?

Here is my latest progress you china man, and no I don't have anything newer before that because I spend over 7 hours on that shit you CHINA MAN.

You win this time, you monster.

I never figured out why it had to be exactly barely visible Woulůd your monitor be unconfortably bright otherwise? Why does the gamr care when you could just turn the brightness back down?

i don't play anymore, just watch
Chinks got fucking destroyed in this major

Mechwarrior 3 is the pinacle of giant robots
then the standalone Pirates Moon

drop the gun, im releasing v0.95 tomorrow

???

Spam's back it seems.

Did Sigmanon fucking die or something? I was kind of interested in how his engine would turn out in the end.
Anyway, here's the source code for my renderer for Sigma Engine maps (I'm the fag that did lightmaps). I will probably never use it, but it might be of some benefit to one of you, even though the code and the renderer itself are a bit shit.
gitgud.io/fgsfds/sigmarenderer

He's already wearing gloves when getting exposed to the Evolvo Ray.

is it just me or is Holla Forums totally fucked up half of the post seem to be qouting random stuff

asking this question again cause no one replied last time

is it viable to make a total war clone in EU4 or should i just roll my own engine
I was thinking about doing it with sprites in sfml but the more i think about the more im convinced I need models and animations to make it viable
Also anyone know of any total war clones that have been made?

It's a spambot, user.

Is this game cracked on PC or is that not possible with Windows store games yet? I want to buy it, but not on their platform.

I wish it was topical spam. It's not extremely complicated to associate different sentences on the same topic. That way it'd look like a cute retarded AI.

Poorfags will poorfag.
Thats essentially what its about.

I wish it was tropical spam.

What kind of features are you looking for in an engine to make a clone of that game? I'm familiar with Unreal Engine but I'm not familiar with Total War.

Is it today officially shit taste in video games day?

How anime of a fighting game are we talking?

pls help

mix between guilty gear blazblue and suda 51 kinda feel.
fun weird and competitive

finished the standing and weak test animations was gone to get some pizza
going to work on the medium and heavy then relax for a bit to work on the walking test cycle

The team who made .hack series is working on the FF7 remake

They have the most experience out of everyone on how to do it right

lonely people are always searching for attention kind of like how click bait is rampant on youtube i guess its a reflecting of the current state of how our society is.

doesnt take from the fact that most modern gaming has took a turn from the worst sadly and worst is that most people cant even hold a proper conversation before splerging out cause they think they are being offended in some matter when most of the time it isnt the case they just get butthurt cause their opinion gets generally shut down and are afraid to take critique.

I want to marry Four!

Alice

I think it should be in either Vice City or a new city based on Chicago or other crime ridden cities

They were ruins for a reason.

Out of every fighting game out right now it probably has the least to do with solid fundamentals. The only reason to play SFV is if you have abysmal execution and love braindead rushdown without needing to think about the existence of any other playstyle.

wow are you notch?

Patagod must live so he can replay the game and save everyone some other way

Can anyone tell me why the hell does the 3D camera in Godot does not point to Z 0 by default?

'Member when batsu games were actually funny and original?

Silly user, Notch doesn't make games anymore.

a civ like turn based overworld with cities and armies this one should be no problem
A real time battle system with squads of 100+ units per squad 20 squads army and up to 8 armies in a single battle units would be ancient era melee combat would be pretty basic but does involve directions aka shields block damage more and back stabs deal more damage. Ranged units would fire projectiles in volleys every projectile would be have a trajectory and hit detection and also deal damage based on where it hits an enemy. My final idea would be to add mythical creatures and power ala age of mythology. Also some units like horses etc. will send units flying when they collide at high speed and i would like to use some form of ragdolls for this maybe just if they die though. All units should be fairly detailed when you up close with decent looking animations and textures so basically you should be able to zoom in all the way and not see something hideous also you should be able to zoom out quite far. far enough to see most of the map depending on map size o yeah also the map should be 3D and include some verticallity with for instance in cities allowing units to man the walls

for what purpose?

Don't you understand, user?
Then he really showed us™.

It's best to ignore that furnigger and just report his shit, the mods at the morning (+1 GMT) did a good job handling it through you have to report every single spam post of his.

He is now in a turbo ego trip mode where HE needs attention and the best way to deal is by being indifferent. I don't give a shit if it's the real one or the fake one doing as there are not enough sufficient evidence for it. Yes it fucking sucks he is pulling this shit again.

Not easy to make but it would work on the engine. You'd need to do extensive research and make your own AI system to handle the real time battles with unit movements etc.

See

I'm fucking baffled by how mod devs manage to do all this crazy shit like special renderers and whatnot in their mods, object oriented programming really fucks my ass.

Pretty much what said. It would work in Unreal Engine it would probably be easier, faster, and give a better end result compared to building your own engine from the ground up. Is this your first game of this type?

Don't be so gay.
boards.fireden.net/a/thread/135465299/#135466694

Let it die

Chill out dudester I always play games in release order, but there are exceptions to every rule you know?

since Holla Forums is on life support now, should I post about something I'm programming almost completely irrelevant to gaming?

I'm currently working on an rts game so that's kinda similiar but i made my own engine for it but it's also fully 2d so that makes things a lot easier and the scale is a lot smaller
I was thinking of either abandoning the project completely or changing into a total war clone but i don't really think it's viable to do this without full 3D support.
What should i do the rts game is probably not even halfway done and I'm not very much into the ideas behind it.
I mean the reason I even started with this basic RTS game was because for one i would learn some things and gain some experience which i did and also because i thought it would be managable in scale but it turns out RTS games are really fucking hard to make.

yes

I've been busy with community stuff lately so I haven't been able to do much. Have a sprite of a blender filled with orange juice. And have some blatant retro pandering.

Is there a particular set of water tiles that don't look awful?

The light blue tiles were going to be shallow water, with the colored background tiles to be full immersion. There is also going to be quicksand, lava, swamp that follows a similar pattern

JESUS FUCK WHY ARE LEGS IN MOTION SO FUCKING HARD TO DRAW. FUCK MY LIFE.

I'M EXHAUSTED BUT, I NEED TO KEEP GOING. I DID 2 ROUGH TEST ANIMATIONS NOW I JUST WANT TO GET A SIMPLE WALK CYCLE.

I'll post my progress from the last thread because I didn't do anything, I'm fucking addicted to factorio.

Progress on Ludum Dare game not that it's a game yet. Got some semi-not-shit tiles in there, movement, shooting, and a nice shaking camera system for dat juice. Everything's 1 pixel in-game then upscaled via integers. Need to come up with a better player character.
Not the biggest amount of progress I've made in a single afternoon+evening, but whatever. Not too inspired by this theme. And I need sleep.

Anyone else making something?

I'm trying to mod a new race into from scratch Kohan 2.
Sadly I wasn't able to make much progress since last time I posted, but I think I'm going to try texturing it soon, and then trying to put in the game just to see if I can. It probably has too many faces/edges, and I might want to redo it completely later, but it's what I got. I also came up with the unit and building names if that counts.

How to I make sure a game fits nicely into an in-browser window?
I can't seem to get the resize event to work, and the canvas doesn't hug the borders of the window.

make multiple textures for the water tiles, so it does not look shit. Add a light blue background to the shallow water so it becomes more recognizable.

Whoops, this wasn't meant to be a reply.

Why do I have a massive desire to make a game but also put my fetishes in it?

Too bad I cant understand coding at all.

there's your problem user

What do you think I pay you all for?

What fetishes?
I know that some vorefags got off to being inside other players in slither.io, so I think it'd be fun to make a game where players could absorb each other without killing each other.

I just want a rpg where if you die or your team mates die it would be perma death gore. Like you know how Dragons dogma has loli's but instead you get them get gutted by some monster and raped and killed with screams like this. If you play as a male or have a shota with ya then the can get like tenticle raped or castrated.

Anyone using Godot know how you would implement lights inside fog of war?

Gunnernacho did nothing wrong.

Ahh the degenerates are here.

I mean, it's not really even a game at this point is it? As far as anyone knows, it's all pre-rendered. Even if it's not all pre-rendered, it's still just a really big tech demo.

Holy fuck, user. I don't think I could stand watching lolis get disemboweled. PTSD simulator much?
not so big in the rape aspect but otherwise I'd probably try-hard the shit out of that gamegotta sav'em all

Fuck, what's a easy to use graphics library for C++ on Linux? I really wanted to try out Cinder but Win/Mac only. I've had experience with SFML, but I feel like that handles more of the GUI than anything else.

I'm honestly thinking of devving on Windows just so I can have a better workflow, or at the very least get an actual PC instead of a toaster.

thanks user. I was stupid all along, there is a page explaining how to do A* pathfinding.

roguebasin.com/index.php?title=Complete_Roguelike_Tutorial,_using_Python+libtcod,_extras#A.2A_Pathfinding

After getting movement to work I made a tilemap to make it look more like a game, but the tilemap didn't save the collisions I made. Also I tried making an area2d and put a collision shape inside but I can't detect hitting it anyway. Everything is fugged again.

Almost fully working. This creature is supposed to be residing in a wide sandy arena. Just testing.

I've been working on overworld movement. First I got collision working so the player would stop when hitting a solid tile or be shifted when hitting a sloped tile.

Today I've reworked the movement code a bit to give the player a bit of momentum rather than starting and stopping instantly. The collision code needs to be updated to zero the player's velocity when hitting a solid object, but otherwise that's working as well.

How does the octopus attack? Does it bite with its mouth or its ttentacles?

If I put a rigidbody that's nothing but a sprite and collision box then it can collide with the collisions I made (they're around the black bars in the first pic) so it's an issue with my kinematic body

I got it to work by just deleting it and making it again

Kinematic rigidbodies in Unity don't interact with colliders unless you write custom code to handle said collisions.

FUCKING UNITY
UNREAL GETS IT, WHY CAN'T YOU

Isn't this Godot though?

yes

If the tiles' collision layer is in your kinematic body's collision mask, then it should collide when you use move()

Котова

В самом начале Великой Отечественной войны, в одном из боевых столкновений, советский танк со своей бригадой, во главе которой стоял младший лейтенант Ивушкин, разгромил целую танковую роту немцев. Однако в этой героической схватке самому танку уцелеть не удалось и он тоже был уничтожен, а экипаж оказался в плену. Пленные

:^)

Когда мы были на войне,
Когда мы были на войне,
Там каждый думал о своей
Любимой или о жене.
Там каждый думал о своей
Любимой или о жене.

И я, конечно, думать мог,
И я, конечно, думать мог,
Когда на трубочку глядел,
На голубой ее дымок,
Когда на трубочку глядел,
На голубой ее дымок.

Как ты когда-то мне лгала,
Как ты когда-то мне лгала,
Что сердце девичье свое
Давно другому отдала.
Что сердце девичье свое
Давно другому отдала.

Но я не думал ни о чем,
Но я не думал ни о чем,
Я только трубочку курил
С турецким горьким табачком.
Я только трубочку курил
С турецким горьким табачком.

Я только верной пули жду,
Я только верной пули жду,
Чтоб утолить печаль свою
И чтоб пресечь нашу вражду.
Чтоб утолить печаль свою
И чтоб пресечь нашу вражду.

Когда мы будем на войне,
Когда мы будем на войне,
Навстречу пулям полечу
На вороном своем коне,
Навстречу пулям полечу
На вороном своем коне.

Но видно смерть не для меня
Но видно смерть не для меня
И снова конь мой вороной
Меня выносит из огня
И снова конь мой вороной
Меня выносит из огня

хахахахахахахахахахахаха

I decided I'd try to do some dev, haven't done that in a while.

Are there any resources for managing objects, like buttons and shit for an UI?

When you click on menus and stuff, it needs to create and delete buttons and boxes and things to draw, but I'm not sure what would be a smart way to do that.

It's not that it's difficult, but I just can't think of anything from the top of my head that seems clean and smart.

you could try sdl

my.mixtape.moe/smurph.mp4

learn about composite classes

they are wonderful for GUI stuff and reason why we need OOP

Fuck sake.

AS PROMISED
>>>/agdg/28256

i think Disaster Report had that

Nice, definitely one of the more promising looking projects to come out of these threads.

Some stuff for LD 37. Not sure if my coder actually put something together but it's good getting back into spriting at least.
I really gotta practice more environmental stuff.

haha benin :DDD

what's the nicest way to implement cvars (and also console bound functions) with the ability to use template programming?

quake based/like engines seem to either use floats only, strings internally and convert everything, or have data fields for literally every type you want a cvar to be and do conversions between them. i haven't seen an implementation use templates yet so that makes the direction i'm currently going worrying. generic types obviously make storing the data type you want easy, but then you run into the problem of retrieving the data in the right type, especially if you are trying to get a reference to the cvar from the command line.

there's then the issue of allowing the use of minimum and maximum values for cvar types that are numbers only, which works if you try to convert the cvar to a float and clamp it like that, but i don't really like this solution.

after that i need to figure out if cvars should have callback methods and if those callbacks should be able to take parameters. i figure in addition to cvars there should probably be cfunctions too that just bind a command to a function with parameters instead of a variable.

the easiest way seems to be to use strings internally for everything from the cvars themselves to the arguments of the callback functions.

If you got a promising prototype I might art for you.

Since I finished the monstergrill dungeon gameplay/engine wise now I started sticking my fingers into MUD. In merely two days I managed to turn beautiful ancestral code of Merc 2.2 into complete spaghetti but it mostly works.

theres tentacle stab (shown), tentacle slap, and i plan for (hardest to implement) tentacle grab. Plus its gonna shoot fireballs (Not shown during its pauses).

philipstorr.id.au/pcbook/book3/scancode.htm

How do I use the scan codes for the directional keys? The chart from link above gives me E0 in addition to their scan codes but I'm at a lost.

I mean, that's objectively fucking awful.

have a map with a boost::any i guess

Remaking the Food class, removing all obsolete stuff and preparing for the final version, its more work than expected

Practicing music…

Hearing the first few notes I was expecting the Flintstones theme.

it was very good until the analog ge.5

>Just remembered my photoshop files got corrupted so if I want to make my GUI assets I have to re-pirate photoshop

You can always try with another program that can open .psd files.

What program is this?

I'm drowning in ennui. I need to be around creative people to keep my own creative juices flowing. Where do you even find people like this that aren't "artists" in the Liberal Arts sense?

Looks like SunVox

Looks like it, thanks.

Posting progress. Have learned a good deal about Unity since I found this particular tutorial series. The series hasn't gone to actual scripting yet. Just finished the last episode that's just about dealing with putting a scene together, importing assets, putting them in the scene, making materials, etc.
It seems like the next episode finally gets into scripting, here's hoping.

What are some good(preferably cheap or free) alternatives to photoshop? I haven't started making GUI assets yet so if you've got a suggestion I'll take it.

There is GIMP and Krita, GIMP is more suited for image manipulation and Krita is made for painting it has also a good painting engine for that.

Is GIMP good for more geometric designs? Because that's what I'm going to be going for.

For pure geometric design you would be better off using a vector editor like Inkscape and exporting to bitmap.

Well shit looks like I screwed it up a bit more then it should be, welp I guess tomorrow or so I will try to unwrap it in normal way somehow and see if I am actually faster that way. Not to mention that I can't get a cube 100% seamless with only 1 seamless texture. I can texture then that damn thing anyway with substance painter.

Meh, I managed to unfuck it a bit, sage for double posting.

He didn't actually make it you fat fuck
It's like saying a politician built a hospital or that hideo kojima is a game developer, not the hundreds of people who actually did it

I grew up in a commie shithole
When the internet became really widespread i discovered the sick one had radiation sickness and (the school was close to chernobyl) under the school was some super secret soviet radiation experimentation or whatever the fuck base

I remember reading some /x/ story about that

Spent the whole day clearing the code, removing obsolete shit, changing the whole way the game handle tags and types, and preparing the code to transfer to Unity
I bet i broke over 10 recipes with all the shit i changed and i feel exausted

How does it work that creating recipes is so time consuming.
You'd think once the system is in place, making recipes should be easy.
Can't run it on wine.

He doesn't have a system and makes them all by hand

What exactly is a recipe in your game?

the recipes are not fixed (its not just: bread + ham = sandwich), you have almost infinite ways to make a sandwich, also i have to make sure the player doesn't get a pie when he wants to make a cake, and i have to balance all of them so there is no easy way to make a perfect score recipe nor have any of them be worthless

working on it faggot, just wait
now that i finished all of them i know all phases i need to make a core method that with some scripting can make ANYTHINGclimbing mountains not included, but this will only go live when i transfer the system to Unity

Been working the last few days so I couldn't really progress on my minimap mockup much (and I need to figure out the exact map elements I need before I write actual shit up for it)

Mostly experimenting with how fog tiles look (checkerboard teal). They darken the room while you stand in them, make monsters harder to hit/identify in combat, and prevent walls from being mapped unless you bump them. Left is fog overlaid on quicksand (yellow) and swamp (green), right side is water and lava.

I decided that squares that offer full immersion of a substance (eg water) will make the whole tile that color (dark blue). If it's just a surface/wading amount, then they have a different icon (waves)

Go to Prager University. Learn the classics n shit.

I come with game progress, fellow menshes.

I come bearing progress as well.

Come, let us progress together.

My WebGL isn't behaving how it's supposed to, and I can't tell why.
It's like the camera is orbiting objects when it rotates, even when the objects are distributed randomly around (0, 0, 0) and the camera is also at (0, 0, 0).

Anyone able to look and tell what's wrong?
mega.nz/#!h99xmI5R!kFdiStdXPdt3MW6O7-0daTiL_Buqva1hIPA0-tuM6c8
I've currently got it so that things are coloured by their z position, but the objects have individually coloured faces if colour = position.zzz; is taken out of the fragment shader.

The mistake is probably in renderBuffer.

Try reversing the rotation. Rotating an object the wrong way as it orbits around a camera gives the illusion that the camera is panning.
Unless you mean (relative to the camera view) the objects appear to sit in a fixed position and spin? In that case I have no idea.

Is that a MEGA FIST OF ANAL ANNHILATION on the left?

*reversing the rotation of the object relative to the camera, in case I wasn't clear

Did you even check the file?

Can't for a while, I can't use Mega where I currently am.
I'll look at code if you put it on pastebin, but I'll admit up front I don't know much about WebGL specifically, I'm just trying to help off of general dicking-around-with-rendering experience.

Would Google Drive work?
It's across four files, so it'd be annoying to do with pastebin.

Probably better if I just wait til I go home either way

Nope. The melee option is a cutlass, since you're a pirate.

Hey guys i know a guy with great musical talent (and he doesn't use it for anything other than fun for some reason), how much should i offer him to make music for my game? (2~3 minutes on loop, no vocals)

I altered it a bit, so the link is different now.
mega.nz/#!9pl1yYJY!mls_Q4QIt_-JrEaQ8fnYo59O6gf88pXwXO1-R6eG_Jk

Camera is controlled by the cursor, Q, and E.
I can't find a way to sort my transformation matrix rotations that allows all camera rotations to behave properly.

I also just realised that I moved the camera to [0, 0, 1] and never moved it back.

Got my emitter recipe parser done. The recipe for the spiral is just 16 bytes for example. Probably need to start on a boss editor and do some mockups next, then see about setting the server up.

Hey, what do you guys think of Tiled and the .tmx format? Do any of you use it?
Is it worth using?

If it can do what you need Tiled is fine. I don't know about tmx format but I remember it exports to a variety of formats, so it should be easy to handle at least one of them.

A window!

sorry to hear 'bout it man, also why was your school close to Chernobyl? Didn't they know anything at all about the radiation?

so, finite
there are a finite amount of ways you can make a sandwich

Nigger, this is Godot.

i will shove those finite sandwiches you know where faget

UI design from scratch is scary

I want to start learning, but I have no idea what to learn first. I have art and music skills, but I possess minimal programming skills. What language should I learn first? What programs should i start out with?

Well, just drawing the window and individual gui controls like buttons and strings is quite basic, but I can give you a tip on 3rd and 4th point of your post.
Let's suppose you have some defined action when pressing LMB, but you don't want to do it if you press on a window, so…
1) Make a loop that goes through all your windows and compares the position of the mouse with position of window, if it's outside all windows, do the action like normal. If it's in a window then…
2) Make a loop that goes through all gui controls until and compare the positions again, if you found a match then…
3) Call a function for that specific gui control

For example, I have made all gui controls a part of another class that has virtual methods such as DoRender, DoUpdate, DoMouse1, DoMouse2 etc. So I can just call DoMouse1 on some gui control and I don't even need to know if that's a button, string or whatever else ;)

Since I'm using C#, I'm going to have either a Func or Action associated with either buttons or all controls, that fires "on activation". It'll be null in most cases, but the client code can make it do whatever it wants to (such as increasing something by +1). It would be the former if I wanted to return a success state, otherwise Action if it doesn't need error handling… leaning towards Action

It'd be pretty simple to have an IControlElement or base Control class with basic behaviors set up… Not sure about rendering it all, though; like I can't think of a library-ish way to draw it and still be generic

I never used C# so I kinda have hard time understanding what you're describing. I'm more familiar with assembly, as most of my programming experience is from reverse engineering and such (I used to make hacks for MMO games) and now I'm using C / C++ with lots of assembly habits in mind (which I guess is considered haram by many coders, but I don't give a fuck) I personally draw everything myself in software mode in just 256 colors, so I have 1 byte = 1 pixel, of course True Color is possible too with 3 bytes = 1 pixel, but I'm fine with just 256 colors. I can explain how I managed to do it if you want.

test

It's all good. It's just a paradigm I can't really take advantage of.

I ain't no expert either, never read a coding book or went to IT school, I'm just coding and learning as I go and I managed to shit out something like this
Software rendering is easy and hard. One one hand, using some library is much easier, instead of making your own code that will place all the pixels in the right place you can just use some function that draws a line or an image. On the other hand, you have the pixel access and many things are easier to do yourself, instead of using some existing library that you need to hack around. Of course software rendering, as the name suggest, is done in software, i.e on the CPU. No GPU acceleration is used, but my pixel shit game runs fine on even very slow 1.5Ghz one core CPU with more than 100 FPS. In 1996 ID released Quake, full 3D game running in software on a pentium 1, I should be able to make a 2D game on such a hardware as well !

C#
Get visual studio community, its free

Personally, I use VS C# 2010 Express

Why do coders need glasses ?
Because they can't C#
wewe

What would be the best engine to use for a game like Zelda 2, or the older Castlevanias?

Game Maker comes to mind but I'm a few years out of touch with engines

I don't know the current state of GMS but I keep hearing Godot is better than GMS.
It certainly has a better license and doesn't only run on Windows, unlike GMS.

So I might be missing it, or flat out retarded, but where is your code for the camera's view matrix, FOV, etc?
Because it looks like you aren't really using the camera like a camera, and just wiggling your objects a bit based on the camera's position and rotation, not its actual view.
Again, I could just be blind.

In the "if dimension == 3" section of renderBuffer.
I don't have FoV yet, it's orthographic.
The depth stuff of the camera is something I recently removed, and replaced with near and far, but that's not working properly yet.

I sure wish Holla Forums didn't keep using retardedly long delays to check for posts, I had this tab open in the background yet saw your post 13 minutes after you made it.

That's where I was looking. If you don't have depth or field of view, it's not going to act like a camera in a 3D space. Right now you have an object called camera, but you are not using it as a viewpoint. It's sitting invisibly in the middle of the cloud of objects.

Which are rotating around the camera correctly, as far as I can tell.

So, it'll look fine once I'm cutting off objects which are behind the camera?

No, because you still wouldn't be looking out the camera's "lens." With what you've implemented so far, the camera is just a point in space. See pics related. If I understand your original question correctly, you want a viewpoint as in the second pic, but what you have is closer to the first pic.
I hope I don't offend you if I'm telling you something you already know, but in case it's not clear, the idea of "moving the camera" is essentially an illusion, which is what you are implement. Panning the camera left is actually just moving everything to the right. So to make your viewpoint seem to rotate in a 3D space, you move everything around it. You've done one half of that correctly, in that you're moving the cloud of objects around that point in space, but that point is not the point of view.
The reason matrix math is used is that you can easily continue to stack matrix transformations on top of each other. So once you figure out a view matrix, you can multiply it by the projection matrix you already have to effectively make the screen the camera.

I'm not entirely clear on what you're saying is missing.
Obviously I have it so that objects are translated by the negative of the camera's position and such.

Also, it seems that I'm having no luck with the projection matrix; the projection matrices I'm seeing online don't make sense mathematically (putting numbers in a part of the matrix that does nothing), and don't behave correctly either.

A camera with orthographic projection does not make distant objects smaller - they will not change size as they get further away. Perspective projection will. Just sayin'.

Still can't decide how I want fog (or any obscuration to vision) to look, and now I have time off to work on it

It's a bit tricky because I want icons to still look visible on top of that, but I still need to show full terrain as colored squares (lava, water). Source game on right

I meant for the near and far clipping distances.

What's missing is the part that makes your window the view of the camera. As of now the camera is just a point on the center of your render space.

This is the giveaway. You think the camera is orbiting, because of how the cloud of random objects looks as it rotates around the camera object which is sitting at (0,0) in your window.

no

And to fix that for an orthographic view, I need a clipping plane.
Which is turning out to be difficult.

gumroad.com/l/opentoonz-linux

Niggawat? I use Cinder on Linux Mint erryday.
github.com/cinder/Cinder/wiki/Cinder-for-Linux-|-Ubuntu-15.X-on-x86_64

I DID IT

Now that fog is done I can rest my autism

infinite voxels

So when're you fixing the texture on the vertical pieces of the voxels?

Better yet, use a shader.

can you climb that?

that's the plan, unless there's some other sorcery that could be used here

only the blue triangles

There's literally no reason not to use a shader, they're better in every way for this application assuming that you know how to write efficient GPU code.

A shader in place of a texture avoids seams, distortion, and repetition; not to mention cutting down load time and game data.

Plus, by having multiple terrain types in one shader (which you'd probably have to do), you can have really neat terrain borders, like puddles of increasing size as you move into swampland.

I have a question, about UV-Mapping. Let's say I want to have 5 different models using the same Texture what's the best way to do it?

So if I made a 1024x1024 texture space, should I leave 256^2/512^2 as a buffer or something?

Example of different models I would like to do in the future:
T-34/85
T-34 (1941)
T-34, Heavy
T-34, double barrel gun + skirt armor + 2x rocket launchers

It kinda sorta works !
(webm in 50fps)

Noice. So it can do platformer stuff and perspective one/top down view?

No, I ditched the top view concept and decided to make a sidescroller, although the code is not that much different and I still have the copy of it when it was top view just in case. As you can see on the video, I have some flexibility with the collision of tiles and it works as floors, now I need to make it work on X axis and ceiling and then… well, just start making actual game.

BTW, if you didn't know, all the graphics were taken from Turrican 2 as placeholders. I want to do much much more than was possible in Turrican.
(go to 7:25)

Oh what a shame, yeah I have seen a few vids from Turrican already, how are you going to handle the asset for that one?

Well, I'm just a coder and I don't really plan on making any graphics. I borrowed the Turrican GFX for now so I have something to work with and something that is not just random blobs of blocks, something coherent. This whole project is made with moding and customization in mind, so my plan is to just make an engine and tools that would be easy to use by some potential gfx artist or whatever. If I was to make my own GFX then I'd start with something simpler.

As for the old top down game, well. I want to still finish it, but not before this. I don't even know why I made this shift, but it was quick like a snap. I just had to change few lines of code to make it look like it does now. Who knows, maybe it will be a hybrid of both, I'm just a coder waiting for a designer to lead me ;)

Do you mean art design?
Speaking as an artist, you don't want that. trust me.

I meant more like level design. I want to create small team, 3 or 4 people. Of course now I dont think anyone would join me, I cant pay anyone and I dont have anything special to show. I used to be jn such a team working on private servers of certain mmo game, good times. Now its time to make something of my own.
There's a lot of things that would be easier with a graphician at hand, but what can you do.
different id cuz im outside

Just try to make a game as fun as you can on your own and use placeholders. Once you get somewhere people will start wanting to work with you, that's usually how it goes.

Yeah that's exactly what I'm trying to do. I've got tons of ideas and i want to make it really customable, but also fast. If you have any experience with goldSrc or Source map editor Hammer… the level logic will be done in similar fashion. That is, place a trigger, place some entity, link them together with few clicks and select aproprieate action. Example

Trigger1->OnTouch->Door1->Open

I want colectable keys, many weapons at the same time with ammo like in fps, whooting in 8 direction and free 360 aiming, quicksaves, huge levels.

Time to learn something useful now that Dota 2 is kill forever. Should I focus on software rendering first to learn the basics or jump right into DX11? I can already program in C++. What do you guys think of Handmade Hero?

If you know C++ already just use SDL2. It gives you basic functions like create a window, draw a picture at certain scale and rotation on that screen etc. and under the hood it does it using whatever is avaiable, DirectX, openGL or software rendering. It also provides sound and input control and of course it's portable, one program will run on Windows, Linux, Mac, Android, iOS and probably million other things.

New thread, faggots.