Gittin Gud

How do I even git gud at this? I swear every time I think I'm starting to get the grasp of it, something absurd comes along and wipes out my entire fortress

Other urls found in this thread:

dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=7622
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

develop autism

gg

not gonna make it

I think we've reached the point where if DF UI and menu navigation become streamlined and easy, the entire current playerbase will instantly commit suicide.
I'd almost want to see it just for the massive saltmine that would be opened by such an event.
Don't believe me?
Look at their reactions to this scenario:

Markiplier and PewDiePie making DF LP vids with facecam, doing fake screams every time something happens

Leading to a massive influx of "new players"

did that actually happen?

It would happen 100% if the UI was streamlined and made extremely user friendly.
Seriously that's basically the entire entry barrier.
Graphics can easily be fixed by tilesets, the only thing that remains is the UI.
Fix the UI, and watch the entire current userbase immediately shit on the game, cry their eyes out, and Holla Forums make "DF containment threads" that will get shitposted every single day.
Remove the unique snowflake factor, and watch it all crumble down.

ooh okay so it didnt happen

Are Dwarves still autistic?

I'm talking about peasants being on friendly terms with everybody after 2 years of partying.

That wouldn't just ruin the playerbase. It would ruin the game. As soon as the casual filter goes, the corporate hyenas will be clawing at Toady's door. Look at the myriad of Dwarf Fortress rip-offs out there. All insanely popular. They satisfy the itch that Dwarf Fortress does but none of them have the depth. That's why Dwarf Fortress gained this cult following. Thousands upon thousands of retards who read fortress stories on reddit instead of playing because the ascii frightens the shit out of them. If the UI and graphics became user-friendly, they'd all flood in because, frankly, the game itself is easy. The UI is a levy protecting Dwarf Fortress from drowning in plebs. It's like the gate in the Court of Gentiles. It's like the wall around Capitoline Hill. Life on the inside remains sweet for us because the lepers can't climb.

DF isn't that hard nigger, a fucking 14 year can figure it out

please no. god please no. NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

And what's the problem with that, Mr. Dubs?

But you were Mr. Dubs.

I wouldn't worry about such a scenario. Even if the UI gets streamlined to hell and back and with tile sets installed, it's till hard for most let's players (especially for the popular ones) to stomach it. Do you really think the 12 yearolds who watch them have the patience to sit through even 5 minutes of an abridged version of the game, let alone actually play it?

I’ve always wanted to play this, but I’m not staring at fucking ASCII. Are there any actual graphical mods?

If you grab PeridexisErrant's lazy newb pack it comes with phoebus graphics installed by default. It also uses DFhack to fix some bugs in the game for you. You can find the PeridexisErrant pack here dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=7622

However
My argument against the graphics packs is that you look at sprites and know at a glance what something is. If all your dwarves are multicolored sprites, you have to look at them and read their description to get a mental image of what they are, you might become attached to your long hook nosed dwarf who just so happens to be a good trade depot merchant. You might give him a nickname based on that. It might become very sad when he finally dies. You might end up with a champion dwarf woman who for some reason unknown to you or the game walks around topless in battle. You might see notifications of fights and read about her battles and how she ripped a goblin's foot off then proceeded to beat him to death with it.

If you use graphics packs and you don't already read descriptions you'll see little cow sprites, little dwarf sprites and when monsters come, vague monster sprites. You may never know that a tentacled, acid dripping behemoth made of fungus has arrived, just that some forgotten beast with a weird name showed up and your dwarves all died to it. Graphics packs CAN be nice, but if you aren't taking the time to fully envision the world in your mind then you're not going to enjoy the game like you could.

It's a cross between a roguelike and a simulation game, even with tilesets half of what's happening in the game is not going to be made clear when watching a let's play. Nor would Let's Players have the patience to spend most of whatever time they have editing DF files to get a catsplosion then speed it up for youtube.

Actually i lied, i was waiting for someone to call me out on it, but i guess i'll have to point it out myself, guess Holla Forums just is that insular and sheltered.

There's people that LP DF as it is, right now.
The most prominent example being Joel from Vinesauce.
Then again he used to be from Holla Forums himself before he got his shit together, so it makes sense.

DF is fucking boring because once you get your fortress fleshed out you basically won. I even tweaked all the settings super high to get necromancer towers all over my map
Off thetop of my head

I set up my fort in the middle of 3 fucking necromancer towers, and they where all in range. At first nothing, but I knew I would get my balls busted eventually. I made all my dwarves soldiers that had cycled shifts and one squad of full time elite soldiers, so 40% of the population was working, 60% was training. This was a while ago, so I'm fuzzy on the details, but what I remember was absolute carnage. I got invaded before I could clean the bodies from the previous invasion, so I just had a hallway of corpses that lead to my fort. What was worse, since I was dealing with necromancers I couldn't let them near the bodies, because they would resurrect more. So my entire fort was surrounded by the carnage of 4-6 wars, and all my new visitors got scarred for life upon entering. Eventually I stopped getting migrants all together.

This wasn't really a problem, except I got invaded by a fire breathing titan. I sealed myself in my fort while he burned the forest down, but the trees fell over and caved in the roof. Now I hadn't had time to move my food or livestock deeper into the fortress due to constant invasions, so I had burning logs crashing in through the roof of a room filled wall to wall with barrels of alcohol and turkeys, and other valuables. I kinda panicked and rushed to get what I could underground before it burned so nobody starved, and was worried about the titan coming in my fort and killing everyone. For some reason he never went inside my fort, and a bunch of guests killed him on the surface somehow.

This made me extremely vulnerable and I kept getting invaded, and then the thing that crippled me to this day was the web slinging titan. I thought I could take him on, but he wiped out the majority of my axe lords, who can take out an entire goblin/zombie army with no casualties. He ran into my base, and I thought it was over, until he got to the tavern which caused this gigantic barroom brawl that he lost. Now I'm down to like 10 civilians and +30 guests. I never realized this, but eventually your guests will want to become citizens after a while, so I started mass importing dancers to rebuild my population, because I still am not getting migrants.

It's been a while, and now I never get invaded except by forgotten beasts, which I don't even want to deal with because all my caverns are flooded anyways. My fortress is basically where I wanted to be, and I have a few Lord fighters, but it's boring as fuck because nothing ever happens. This is where everyone wants to substitute in "Science" and other suicidal shit to end the fort, but I don't find that fun. I want to go out in a blaze of glory or because I fucked up, not because I pissed off a bunch of clowns I knew would wipe me out.

This is true. Only way the game is fun is by actively fucking up. When the pretense of "hardcoreness" is washed away by implementing a proper UI, the game's popularity will plummet after a short period of ebin dorf menes on facebook.

So, besides joel, anyone else?

Smaller channels here and there, usually the kind of LP channel that focuses on smaller indie games, RPGmaker games, niche titles and so on.
Joel is by far the biggest personality that LPs it.

There is this one streamer (i forgot the name) that streams DF weekly. He also plays 4x games and strategy games. I think he has a decently big following for what he does.

What kind of fool do you take me for? is Mr. Dubs! YOU are Mr. Dubs! I'M Mr. Dubs!!!

IS THERE ANY OTHER MR. DUBS I SHOULD KNOW ABOUT!?

Well perhaps we wouldn't have to argue over who's mr dubs of SOMEONE didn't have BIG MEATY CLAWS

HALP

Delete hospital, if their thirst will take them in the hospital it's better to risk infections. Dig until you find a cavern layer with some water in it.

Go into the caverns and find water nigger. Build an array of screw pumps to fill a reservoir near your hospital. Shit is elementary.

yea i deleted the death ca- hospital after the first few deaths when i realised the cause of death but the chances of me finding water in the caverns is slim, i built a custom world and set water in caverns to low

so how fucked am i without a water supply?

You don't remember Boatmurdered? LPs of this game have happened since before LPs were even videos.

on the surface there should at least be a pond you can gradually use to make a reservoir

Oh you're fine, so long as you've got booze and you're alright with a very strict eugenics program based on avoiding injuries.

but that wasnt done by markiplier or that swedish guy whose username id rather not type

I need this to happen now

one pond that dried up long ago due to heat, can you even duplicate water?

axes are objectively the best weapons in the game

Pewdiepie is pretty redpilled, apparently

My adamantine pickaxe would beg to differ.

"The best way to learn linux is say something incorrect about it online then be corrected by the elitists"

Axes are great multipurpose weapons but you should have a mix of warhammers, axes and spears. Spears are better suited to dealing with big critters giving your dwarves some distance. Axes have a cutting edge and are good for lopping limbs off. Hammers are good for crippling and immobilizing things, plus they can be made with silver which is a great high density metal for them. If you have a squad with mixed weapons it will 100% of the time perform better than a squad of the same number with only one weapon type. Blunt weapons are also great for dealing with undead, the worst thing about dealing with undead using axes is that every removed limb becomes a new opponent if they reanimate again.

Dwarves used to go fucking nuts and have mental breakdowns after stuff like that happened but ever since Toady changed the way their feelings work they almost never seem to. You can murder a dwaf's children in front of them and have the child's ghost haunt them for years and the most reaction I've ever gotten out of them is occasionally taking a break from work to cry.

Doesn't help that for whatever reason Dwarves now seem to be able to punch through most animal/animal zombie's skulls so they almost never die to them anymore.

What, really? DF is painfully easy once you get a grasp of how shit works.
After that point, it's all about learning to find your own fun.

The UI and whatnot are pretty okay, outside a few screens. Military and labors come to mind, though I do use labor now and again.

The rest, you can start building fortresses insanely fast once you figure the things out. They're all clearly labeled, so it is fairly easy.

Never understood why so many people have trouble with it. Hardest thing for me was getting drinks for my dwarves, until I found out they just drank straight alchohol 100% of the time, and didn't actually need a well what won't freeze.

The game isn't even hard.

For christ sake trading is so fucking broken you can buy out every single caravan forever by just focusing on one industry. Something is not balanced properly when you can buy mountains of gear off of 1 prepared food barrel and you can make THIS MUCH FOOD

Yeah, running a fort is not so hard once you get the hang of it. Keeping it alive is another matter, but that too is a learned science. The only thing I've never managed to do was building a fort without using the reveal feature from DFhack to plan it beforehand.

Funny, I did the same but with pots and pans. It's like I'm dwarf Billy Mays.

Not necessarily. Think about how much people spend for high-end quality meals. The only thing is freshness, but otherwise you've basically make the dwarf-equivalent of pre-packaged meal companies.

Keeping a fort alive involves shutting the door and never opening it.
But that's dull.

Hmm, fair point, but I still don't think its right that you can get to the point of *masterpiece* meals in the span of a year and start buying out caravans with it so soon.

That's fair, I suppose. Though, at the same time, considering how long a year is in the game, that'd be a bit of a bothersome grind

fug

how do we fix df?

Stating what you see wrong with it would be good for a start.

If your picture is anything to go by, banning people like you from playing it.

Check out this awesome sorcerous slab of dread arcane power.

muh barrier of entry

Really? That's weird, because every time I played time went by pretty fast.

it's an ugly citybuilder
its resource manager aspect is most times nullified, either by biome search or quantum stockpiles, only challenge is self-imposed
its action is a minimalist symbolic silent-film textwall
its an unfinished game that, even decade in and halfway, requires mods to make it playable

i'm not even sure if it could be called a game
it's more a simulator antfarm of word soup, babies killing monsters and framerate death due to unnecessary unnoticeable features

Winner

Pathetic

I like the cutsomization that's being added in 0.2 I hope it's something we see in 3

You'd have something similar to SS13 I think

source?

I have that mouse!
I'm thinkin' of doing something like this, but I want two monitors. (One for gaming, and one for watching movies/browsing the net.)

I don't have a nice desk, at the moment.

Is that how you interpreted my post?

About the oly youtuber I've seen touch this game was Joel of Vinesauce and he's okay.

But they're literally professionals