Sony reboots Wild Arms and Arc the Lad for Mobile

Come weep with me anons.

nichegamer.com/2016/12/07/sony-rebooting-arc-lad-original-staff-mobile/
archive.is/uo1qF
nichegamer.com/2016/12/07/sony-reveals-new-wild-arms-game-mobile/
archive.is/jFGfn

Well, if they're decent enough ports they might be able to renew interest in the franchises, which could potentially lead to new games. That would be a good thing wouldn't it?
Make the pain stop.

Hold up, apparently the original writers are working on the story, and according to news earlier this night Sony is working with Square Enix on their new mobile games. Now, whatever you might think about Square as a whole, GENERALLY their mobile games have been decent. Chaos Rings, the various Dragon Quest ports, Romancing Saga 2, etc.

I'd say, especially for a turn-based RPG, there is a chance of this being not horrible.

No.

I assume that sony finally realized how much their music departments profit is purely from a gacha game (23% or something ludicrous). I assume these will also be gacha games but I doubt willd arms will pull the same sort of numbers that Fate go does

AHAH
Between this, Breath of Fire 6 mobile, and Seiken Densetsu remade in Nu-Squeenix trash-tier artstyle, I'll just hang myself thanks.

Just because Square hires horrible translators doesn't mean the ports themselves aren't solid.

Cant wait to not buy a 20 dollar mobile game.

Maybe you weebshits will let go of the shittiest genre of Video Games since Visual Novels.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA FUCKING NERDS

user. 50% of JRPGs are about the dialogue, you fuck that up and the game can't be redeemed.
Wow amazing. They got NES and SNES games working on a device that is hundreds if not thousands of times more powerful than the system they original release on. Someone go pat Square Enix on the back, they surely deserve it for such hard work.

Also the mobile version of DQ8 was a complete train wreck that dropped to 10fps frequently and had a bad habit of overheating some devices in japan.

U wanna fite, m8?

>>>/cuckchan/
>>>/back/

No. This is NOT what I wanted as a revival for Wild Arms.

Is this really all that came of these news articles? Fuck how popular mobile is with Japan.

Most of the Dragon Quest ports are actually of the latest console releases (Dragon Quest 7's Japanese phone port is the 3DS remake, for example) but whatever. Also, shitty translations don't affect the technical quality of a port, especially since you should've been learning moonrunes for the past year and a half anyway like a reasonable user.

Who woulda thunk that a port of one of the most taxing open-world PS2 games would have trouble running at 1080p on many mobile devices 3-4 years ago? Don't let the news of the Switch fool you, phones weren't even as strong as a 360 until recently, and even then they're usually throttled for battery life. Rendering DQVIII at 1080p on a phone a little stronger than a Wii is bound to go poorly. The technology simply hadn't caught up yet - it runs fine now, anyway.

If by "mobileshit" you mean micro-transactions and that bs, no. I'm just saying that if there was ever any chance of this being not terrible, the situation surrounding this lends itself well to the game maybe being decent. Never once did I say it might be good, I've only said it might not be horrible, and that folks shouldn't completely jump the gun.

The Romancing SaGa 2 remake is legit good, and is a Square developed mobile game.

They're is borderline NES/SNES quality that probably took less than 2 weeks to develop. They're effortless ports that don't deserve any special praise when any mobile developer can easily replicate the work without any trouble.

The only ones they had to put effort into are the 7/8 ports, and their shit. Not the so called "generally decent" ports you were sucking off too.

There is a reason that the vita and 3ds is so strong in japan. I hear its mainly the commuting everyone does everyday in the big cities. Noone has time for consoles.

I'm calling them generally decent because the competition, if you want to call them that, is DotEmu.

Also might as well drop these here for any anons interested in playing the entries on actual systems that haven't done so yet. Not sure whether or not to update this once their "reboot" comes out, or leave it as an "unspeakable."

Seriously though, with Breath of Fire, that's at least been Capcom's own series and it's been on both Nintendo and Sony before they defrosted Ryu's corpse to make mobile shit. But Wild Arms has always been owned by Sony themselves, and the main entries have always been on Sony platforms. While there's been a few early-mid 2000's WA minigame themed phone games in Japan, I seriously hope they aren't considering that to be precedence for it being perfectly acceptable by their fanbase (the local one anyhow; not sure how much of a fuck SCEJ gives about the western one) to whore the series own to smartphones.

Yeah, I know commuting is a big deal for them there. I certainly wouldn't have minded a new Wild Arms for the Vita, as that's an actual system. But you keep getting these stories about how even the handhelds are losing out in popularity compared to mobile phones, and Sony's opting to not even try to learn from their mistakes with the Vita, instead choosing not to continue with handhelds.

You can get emulators for free and be able to play the vastly superior versions without problems for almost every game they ported.

There is no competition; it's all trash. Stop trying to justify them.

Let me know when you can emulate PS2 and 3DS games on mobile.

About the only plus I'd say without playing it myself is that RS2 will finally be in English, but I don't trust Square's localization quality much these days.

Fucking Aeon Genesis going completely silent on anything they're working on; who knows if Square hit them with a C&D for the SFC original.

The translation is FFVII quality, make of that what you will. It is a good remake though.

That makes it both sound better and worse than I was thinking, if that makes any sense.

Always telling when they know that prior fans are going to justifiably hate a move like this and block the ability to discuss it on the video's page itself.

iirc japan publishers regularly disable comments on PV uploads.

Arc the Wew Lad

First Breath of Fire, ValkyProf, now this. How long until Xenogears mobile?

Dragon Quest one of the consistently great JRPG series ever that stand the test of time, even the NES versions are great but…
why?

Square was also extremely quick to relegate Star Ocean to the mobile dumpster after Star Ocean 5.

Star Ocean should be erased from history.

Is it the fate of all 90's rpg's to be turned into mobile games in the current year?

Kill me Holla Forums.

I think there's likely plenty of classic ones from that time period that didn't get far enough to be considered valid for doing so, or are still ongoing in a form that, for better or worse, the company publishing them is fine with not trying to start developing reboots/new main series entries solely for mobile phones.

I certainly don't want to meme it true, but there are some that I'm more worried about seeing it happen to than others, and not merely JRPG series that debuted in the 90s. As a few examples, Chrono, being a series Square has expressed a lot of disappointment in sales for the last console/handheld entry (being the DS port of Chrono Trigger, a game that had already had two prior releases at that point in NA and JP, with PAL being the only place it was actually new); I could easily see them thinking redirecting the series purely at mobile would garner more sales than trying to make another console or handheld entry (it also strikes me as being more at risk than either Mana or SaGa). .hack, due to being displaced by Sword Art Online as Namco's single player MMO themed series (although "New World" may have been an attempt at doing that without risking the .hack name on it). Shadow Hearts, due to Aruze being pachislot-loving fuckers that have been sitting on the series and doing fuck all with it. And Suikoden, given how Konami has opted to shaft fans of pretty much every series they have over the pachislot and mobile audiences.

I'm not debating the quality of Star Ocean 5, but simply noting that it and Valkyrie Profile were so easily tossed to mobile development for the future. Probably because neither was originally Square's anyhow, and rather ones published by Enix, their old rival, and even post merger, they seem to have something against Enix' old stuff (I don't see much other excuse for why ActRaiser is the only classic Enix game to see a rerelease for the VC or PSN; both of which lacking Dragon Quests, Quintet's games, Valkyrie Profile, Star Ocean 2, etc). And the PSP versions of Star Ocean 1 and 2, as well as Valkyrie Profile Lenneth, didn't even see a digital format release.

Just make the pain the stop.
I want the pain to stop.

I want proper sequels.

Silly user, they were always about profits!

I've seen some "Well it'll be better than doing nothing with them" responses for those times. Personally, I think I'd prefer nothing done, rather than see the dev/publisher (whoever's responsible; here, I think it's Sony, as they themselves own Wild Arms and Arc the Lad even if they don't natively develop them) deciding to chase an entirely new consumer base for the series, one that very well may not have had the slightest interest in playing them before prior to the era of mobile becoming a cash cow.

In a way, yes, but now it's been determined that profit from another kind of person is more desirable.

I'm honestly surprised Star Ocean got clearance to continue past SO4.

Bit odd to remember Square of old. Not only did they have a multitude of active series, but were also willing to make a number of stand-alone games, and even experiment beyond just JRPGs, resulting in them making stuff like Bushido Blade (fighter), Einhander (shooter), Parasite Eve (hybrid horror/RPG), and even Racing Lagoon (hybrid racing/RPG).

Sounds about right.

Xenosaga 3 was the best game in the series, what are you on about?

My eternal white aryan borther.

But, the only way it could happen is if Ninty lost so much money to where they got despite enough to sell Monolith back to Namco. Which could actually happen, if the switch completely tanks. Which it will.

It was, but it was also 3 planned games stuffed in one with an ambiguous ending.

Have you played Dragon Quest VIII on mobile? I have, and it's poorly optimized. The game runs like dog shit on even the most powerful of phones.

Make the suffering stop

As long as Japan continues to eat up mobile shit rather than have the time/energy to play vidya on actual handhelds or consoles, I doubt the trend towards "we want the plays-phone-on-train audience" will stop.

And to think i wanted an Ape Escape 4

At this point I've just accepted no Xeno game will ever be fully complete. It's the team's punishment for dreaming big, and I'd rather that then have them be complacent.

Also, people are finally starting to come around to the fact that Xeno and Chrono are part of the same meta-series.

What the matter user don't want to see Ape Escape 4 mobile?

Ape Escape Go, where you try to find your nearest nigger.

Just think anons, it could be like Ape Escape Go! Run around the real world with your GPS tracker and let them shuffle you to various landmarks for data mining! It would be amazing!

Total fucking pleb

Some of them don't even make it that far.

Trashed thoroughly by Square-Enix and turned out to be the "farewell" game of parent developer Neverland.

Whatever shows will be the victim of "culterization", and in the meantime the most you have to settle with is Undertale

Dear god I hope it stays dead. It doesn't deserve the horror of the Current Year

Got something of an apology remake, thanks in large to the parent developers snatching it from the jaws of the C string team responsible for Dragon Song (more like Dragon Shit)

turned mmo trash that's banned in the west, more or less

The developers literally hate the west. It's turned into Tony Taka's personal waifu generator.

EA.

Shitty dlc generator

Good, the west hates them right back.

What's wrong with mobile games? I play them all the time on my way to school. Stop hating for no reason. Also there's tons of emulators for you oldfags if you want.

KYS.

Good job.

Rather mobile than VR. People like to shit on mobile games but VR deserves more hate and there are several good mobile games with a non p2w cash shop if you care to look for it. Final Fantasy Dimensions is a really solid game worth playing just to name one game

This tbh also I'd rather play a mobile game than a handheld. 3DS is for children and the Vita is for weeaboos.
Mobile games are much more advanced right now, and have better games. Who has time to play games for more than 1 hour at a time? Mobile games allow you to play for 10 minutes and then you can put them down and play another game.
Also FF Dimensions and the other HD remakes look much better than the snes games and if you think otherwise you're just an oldfag