Mrio rpg

how come games dont use this mechanic of locking you out of using certain buttons more in video games? i loved this fight just because of how it fucks you over and you have to re think your moves due to the boss locking your buttons. also that fuckin badass boss music, this game has the best soundtrack i have ever heard

It's anti-fun

Mario RPG is one of my favorite games of all time. It was one of the few games I actually bought a strategy guide for.

I still don't know where all the hidden boxes are, yet I was autistic enough as a kid to find the hidden one at the start of the game that you have one chance of getting during Toad's intro in the castle lobby

the fights in the game were so unique, i loved every boss fight. the cake one was amusing as well as unique. the game doesnt tell you how to defeat it, one would try to take out the chefs before the cake and you would spend the entire time trying to kill those guys wasting moves and time on the wrong enemies

Please go, and stay go. Fucking the player over is not how you challenge them, it only shows you couldn't come up with a mechanic to challenge to them.

i explained that it makes you re think your strategy, it doesnt fuck you over for the sake of it. it makes improvise, the game does not stop you from defeating him

Did you even read his post or did your brain shut down midway through?

Also have you ever tried a no armor/accessory run? It's pretty challenging. I ended up putting all my levels into +HP because the other stats just didn't make a difference.

The most difficult boss was Czar Dragon and Ding-a-Ling

There's an literacy requirement to post here.

i love how theres multiple way to fight this guy, the way thats intended which is mario goes 1v1 against johnny once you take out his henchmen, 2: you could let mario get taken out and have the other party members fight johnny or 3: you can let one henchman alive and focus all 3 on johnny. the game doesnt tell you anything about how to defeat him but its pretty crazy how they allowed for the two options as a means to defeating him, Square had a lot of talent.

yardovich was pretty tough with his water blast shit. Czar dragon and smithy gave me trouble as well

What a bunch of fags. You don't need to be fucked over to rethink your moves. You need a well designed boss with challenging mechanics to make you rethink your strategy. The game is really good, but this is not a good boss fight.

He always give me trouble in general for some reason. I know the trick about his clones but if he does the same AoE spam too much its hard to recover from

but thats part of his mechanics, it would be like him making the entire team to fall asleep/ using a silence spell/ making your physical attacks not do damage but it does it in a different way, its unexpected and it would catch someone off guard who would go through this the first time.

That is a mechanic of the fight. Are you being this dense on purpose?

Christ you have got to baiting, but I'll bite. The difference between what the boss does, and the examples you just gave is that one takes functionality away from the player. The other is either something the player can compensate for such as immunities to those effects, or is an ability that the boss has. Taking stuff away from the player is never good. If you want a better example look at the final area of FF8, and by that I mean look it up on a search engine.

Locking one of your buttons IS an ability the boss has.

It's annoying, but it isn't game breaking or an impossible fight. It's one of the first handful of boss fights in the game and is stupidly easy. I also like the mechanic because you had to try to plan ahead and make sure you were healed up and had enough fp because you don't know what button won't work.

He hits whatever button you used last / most. I forget which.

True, but most people aren't going to pick up on that the first time they fight him.

bump

Speaking of SMRPG,

Has anyone here played SMRPG: Armageddon? That shit is FUN as fuck

It's a rom hack mod of the original game except it's harder, with more content, balanced, and timing for both offense and defense matters if you want to survive or win