Quick question, are you the only person who plays games once and then forgets about them...

Quick question, are you the only person who plays games once and then forgets about them, or are you the type of person who replaces games, trying them on higher difficulties, trying to do everything possible/marathoning them, ect?

If you're the kind of person who only plays games once, why?

Usually because I get everything I want out of it the first time, and I have an aversion to repeating things I've done once before. Sometimes I do replay a game, but only after I've been away from it long enough for it to feel fresh again.

Though this applies mostly to RPGs and the like.

Depends on the type of game and how much I like it.
The most important factor for a game to be highly replayable is different playstyles. If I can play the game using different classes, gear, stats, or belong to different factions, that game has enormous potential for replaying (assuming of course that these differences aren't shallow and warrant different overall experiences from each other).

I hardly ever replay games nowadays. I guess I'll replay something from my childhood for nostalgia, but that's it.

Basically this

I think I do everything for novelty. Once the newness or sense of surprise wears off I get bored really quickly and move on.

Nearly every facet of a piece of entertainment has to be "new" to me or inject some new concept I haven't heard of yet. If anything has been done before it's lost to me.

I cant even enjoy sidescrolling platformers anymore because it's all the same shit. How do you improve on mario3? You fucking cant. You can give it some lipstick and make it sexy, but the core of it simply cant get better.

To answer your question, I have always played games for the novelty. Once it's gone, I'm gone.

Even cherished favorites like Jet Set Radio I've only played a few times. I simply cant go back and capture the essence that made me enjoy it so much.

Makes me wish I could forget things just to do them again. Maybe that's what reincarnation is. You get the essence back.

Because the kind of games I play don't have much in the way of replay value or are sandbox-esq so the first playthrough might never end. In the latter case I'd only ever restart to try out different starting builds, strategies, or locations (because they're mostly colony management autism sims etc) or in the case of complete collapse. I like unexpected things happening and have a decent memory so I don't often get surprised twice by the same thing. I love horror games but never replay them for the same reason.

I play games because they're interesting and because there are things to learn about them and from them. I'll continue playing (or playing with, or modding, or what have you) a game for as long as it has design concepts to offer - simple as that.

Backlog. I simply have no time for replaying games over and over again. So I only do it with Ultimate DOOM, because it's pretty short actually, if you know your stuff.
There are many people who think having to put hundreds of hours into a single game means it is a good game.
Personally I think a game should allow you to experience the majority of the content in a quality time of 30-50 hours (at your own pacing).
If you are 50 hours of grinding in and haven't even seen 10 % of the game, it's not a good game. Elite Dangerous is such an example.

Ever read anyone saying "i wish i could forget all about (game) and play it for the first time again"? you don't get the same feeling when playing the second time

Bet you love Diablo clones

It depends on the game.
I usually can't enjoy RPGs a second go around, with the exception of earthbound. But I think it was like, 15 years since the last time I played it.
I've played Crash 1 to 100% like 40 times.

I hoard every game, though my backlog is too big to really spend much time replaying already finished titles. But I get these itches every so often to go back and replay some random title from my collection, even if it's only for a few hours, so it's good I still have them around.

A few really good games - especially more arcadey titles where the core of the experience (all primary mechanics usable and needing to be used) is available immediately - I'll go back and play often since you can just jump right in and have fun no matter the time frame available.

Road Rash for Playstation or Final Fight 3 are a few favorite I keep going back to when I only have a few minutes to kill.

I still really think there needs to be a SimCity/Final Fight crossover where you play as Haggar micromanaging a city on it's road to recovery - and occasionally when the crime problem becomes too great, you have to hit the streets of the city you built and sort it out hand to hand

I'm baffled by all the people in this thread who allow themselves to become bored with a game so quickly. If I'm going to buy a game with a full 60 dollar price tag, I'm going to play the hell out of it or I'm going to return it. The idea of getting less than 40 hours of entertainment baffles me, and if a game doesn't have replayablility I will force myself to sit through it again, so that I can milk all of the content.

Do you people who only play games once feel like you waste more money on new games?

How does an experience having to be new effect your ability to play multiplayer games?

I only pay 20 to 30 bux on new games. All you have to do is to wait a few months after release.
I'm 35 and give a shit about multiplayer memes.

Because I have so many games on my backlog that I cannot afford the time to play repeated playthroughs. Because I'm bad at video games. Because I'm in the top 1% of horrible ADHD cases my shrink – who is supposedly the guy who is a leading researcher on it – has seen.

I occasionally come back to really good games that I enjoy a lot, but with a year or two of time in-between playthroughs. I have a terrible time playing the same game several times back-to-back. It gets in the way of truly enjoying something like Devil May Cry or a shmup, but works for shit like the large quantities of shooters and RPGs I play.

Multiplayer games notwithstanding, of course.

Some games are a one and done deal, others offer plenty of repeat playthroughs and variety.

I wish I could get everything I want out of it.
Unfff.

I'm the type of person who has few games, but the ones I play I play them to death.

lol

Not much to play then is there?