Space Thread - Ships and Shit Edition

What are some games that make you feel really in control of a proper capital ship? Essentially one that makes you feel like a Captain?

Few off the bat I can think of
Anymore?

Other urls found in this thread:

rutracker.org/forum/dl.php?t=4462342
legendsworld.net/shooter/game/1802
projectrho.com/public_html/rocket/spacewarintro.php
projectrho.com/public_html/rocket/spacewardetect.php#nostealth
forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/stellaris-dev-diary-51-extradimensionals-and-precursors.979890/
forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/update-1-4-released-checksum-54ed-not-for-problem-reports.986612/
forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php/312747-ED-Background-Simulation-Large-Faction-Influence-Swing-Mechanics
childrenofadeadearth.wordpress.com/
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blended_wing_body
groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/rec.arts.sf.written/VbWsT2_a820
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Has anything interesting happened with KSP? I remember it being fun after adding enough mods to overflow the 32 bit limit, but last time I checked half those mods have been abandoned and won' work with the latest game version

I think those really are the few games that have proper bridge interactions on them. I think there's an IOS game that kinda emulates it, but its probably shit because >phone game. If you want the captain experience more than the capital ship experience you can always try one of those multiplayer games like barotramua or SS13

Agitated pls confirm you're not dead.

Why are Space Game devs so retarded?

That one still stings. I was so fucking sure that the bare-bones skeleton of a game that it was on release was going to be fleshed out with fun, interesting, meaningful gameplay, preferably with some way to impact the game world with a group of players.

Fuck that game, fuck David Braben, and fuck the forum dads who infinitely suck his dick no matter how buggy, shitty, shallow the game obviously is, all because he made a game in the 80s that they enjoyed when they were kids.

Shit like like makes me agree with what thta blizzard guy said about legacy servers in blizzcon "you dont know what you want". That fits perfectly with the ED forum dads

ED Still doesn't have real player interaction and trade, The game literally doesn't want the players to have any meaningful impact, Like player forming mega corps or principalities.We should be allowed to subjugate star systems as players and give the Three major powers a run for their money.

We should be allowed to dictate what form or government we appoint to the star system you conquer whether it be (((Democracy))) feudalism, Corporatism, etc etc.Forget the thargoids i want full player conflict, i want players fighting over systems.

It will never happen. I gave up when Powerplay turned out to be utter shit. I check back when I hear there's a new patch, and it's always just some pointless new features that add nothing to the gameplay. It will always be a hollow shell of a game, it will always be a joke of an "MMO," and it will always be shilled to death by a bunch of crusty old autistic British men who don't understand what the problem is.

It's better to just give up hope now, and pray that star citizen turns out to not be shit.

Right, this is what you'd expect of an open world game like ED but the forumdads and devs are vehemently against it because it could give certain players an edge and, oh my gosh, lead to PvP.

There will never be proper PVP in any game because then some cucks will cry and they will remove it.

The grind in ED is a fairly substantial obstacle to good PvP. We had good PvP back in the beta when all you really needed was a Viper with cannons.

Now to PvP you need an engineered ship because engineered ships are just so much better, and engineer shit takes forever to grind out. It's particularly stupid since being able to pay for engineering with credits would have been a great and much needed cash sink for this game, instead they skipped that so people still have no cash sink and have to grind a ton to participate in PvP.

It might be another story if instances were much, much larger and people could go in with a ton of players, so the fewer wealthy, engineered players could get taken on by a colossal amount of smaller ships, but that's not the case.

To be honest, ED was a lot better in the beta. Having fewer systems was also a huge asset, as you'd encounter other players constantly. Being able to fight next to stations was cool and we had all sorts of neat stuff like blockades going on, that doesn't really happen anymore. The PvP gameplay was a lot better balanced, now thef keep adding new shit to try to balance that just makes it worse each time.

THREADLY REMINDER THAT THE 8TH IMPERIAL PILOT'S SYNDICATE IS NOW IN ED IN THE WHEEMEZ SYSTEM
If only this game was actually fun, and having our own faction meant more than a sad excuse to keep grinding

Why must the game be so barebones?

I just want to go out and explore shit. Has exploration changed in ANY way since launch? FUCK NO IT HASN'T. Fucking nigger devs.

Also lol

All that would is let fucking no life goons have free reign over whatever the fuck they want and charge for membership like they always do. Nevermind mind the fact all types of cliques would form and russians and whatever other cancer that infest mmos jump in.

Your idea sounds good on paper but you can garantee it would be ruined by either forum dads or worse. We cant have nice things.

Sunrider: mask of something, warning its very weeb and it has the im firing ma lazer meme

It wasnt THAT bad, you are talking about the totally not a star trek game, right?

Is that Artemis Bridge Simulator or Quintet? One of the two.

It plays like one of the worst F2P/P2W grinders I've ever seen.
Only that it did cost 50 bucks in advance, before I noticed how I got shafted with that "gameplay".

Well, player-driven gameplay will always create big blobs. I don't see anything wrong with that either. People always go MUH GOOOONZ when talking about EvE but what did they actually do, other than piss of other big corps full of forumdads?

Fiddy bucks plus another 30 or so to access the riveting Engineer grind.

Visiting the Frontier forums, I see how concerned players are with protecting their "investment" against newcomers.
This is a typical thing you see in F2P, where the 1 % whales either pay or grind themselves to the top and like to get pandered.
It shouldn't happen in a B2P scenario or something is seriously wrong with the game.

They are the type of people who can't take what they dish out. In otherwords, giant pussies.

Well Eve Online went free. Anyone here playing it?

I actually downloaded it yesterday and when I got to character creation I zzZZzzZzzzzzzz

IT'S
HAPPENING
AGAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAIN

WHYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY

Dude

Kikestarter

Lmao

Star Citizen will release by 2020 and be the best spacesim for the next two decades

Sure thing user, and I'm time-traveling clown come back from 5412 to tell you that to save humanity in the future you, and you alone, must suck as much cock as you can.

This guy didn't get much money, and he has refused to take any more money or even make any public releases because he says it's not ready yet. He seems like he honestly really cares about the game, and is having a hard time coping with the pressure of potentially completely failing.

Star Citizen was already shit just from the pitch tbh. Any space game that focuses on MUH 1ST PERSON DOGFIGHTING is inherently shit.

Dude

Kikestarter

Lmao

Nod really.
Excel is more engaging and productive.

Yes.

All they did is an unlimited trial, providing targets for subscribers to fuck around.
Nobody fell for it though. Excel online is plain dead.

Alpha characters are hardly targets, they generally don't go to nullsec and they don't have shit worth scamming.

Oh wow every comment you make is making my eyes glaze over yes user I know it's not 100% free but I didn't ask if it was I asked if anyone here is playing it and if you're not then go excelmeme in the Eve Online thread.

But this is far, far from an ordinary case of Kikestarter. Have you even been following its development?

The development which stopped dead you mean?

Dude.

Kiketstarter.

Lmao.

They either run with the money, or the product never releases after a halfassed attempt. The only way this doesn't come true is if they're producing something other than video games. Accept it and ignore kikestarter projects like the garbage they are.

But it hasn't stopped, it's just going a snail's pace because the guy is a perfectionist. This isn't the first time he's gone dark. He's also fairly obligated to complete it considering he's using an office from some state program to help small businesses, which you actually have to be doing shit for in order to not get kicked out.

Nobody is "playing" it anymore, because your "game" is plain dead.

Space dogfighting is a snoozefest. I honestly can't think of any way to make a space game less fun than centering it around pretending your space ship is actually a plane.

Then why did you scream WHY if you already knew the reason why?

True, pretending it's a warship firing broadsides is way more fun.

>Undertale
There ARE success cases with deliveries of what was promised

My sides have entered hyperdrive.

not an argument

What you're seeing is the formulation of a world envisioned by Kurt Vonnegut in the short story Harrison Bergeron.

But I don't know the reason why he's so silent and secretive now.

It hurts Holla Forums

So you don't actually know if he's just working slow or if he's buggered off then?

Dude

Kikestarter

LMAO

Never heard of it.

It's the same as it's always been: Deep industry and economics system, shallow and boring combat mechanics and PVE that are over a decade out of date. Nothing particularly interesting to keep you tied to the game except playing with people to have fun playing with people.

still not an argument

it's a not-very-special first person shooter rpg. Like most games in the genre, it's pretty mediocre and forgettable.

Oh, you just want to shitpost like a shiteating faggot regardless of what the topic is.

Star Citizen will be an interesting buggy mess made within entirely the wrong kind of engine, with shitty art direction but a lot of technical leaps and progress in the back end, which were wholly necessary just to make shit work to begin with.

I don't think it's going to be particularly fun to play. A lot of these devs really don't seem to even contemplate gameplay design before starting their games.

What is the core gameplay meant to be in star citizen, and what makes that fun?

I'd surmise combat / PVP - but it's not fun, and they never developed it to the point of being a solid foundation before building out the rest of the game.

Contrast KSP - that's a good gameplay foundation from the start, but then surrounded and supported by a team of incompetents in, once again, the wrong kind of engine for the game.

They make good cannon fodder to pad out your killboard stats.

And how is the community? Fun autistic or bad autistic?

So it's like Japanese Mass Effect 3 or what?

Whatever helps you with your casual reddit taste boyo.

EPIC!

A number of those games were pretty fun. You sound like a typical indie hipster that you think you're attacking.

A good game is a good game, and I can definitely attest to both FTL and Banner Sage being good games. Shallow, not particularly deep or engaging, but they're inexpensive and tick all the boxes a game ought to meet.

The more you say reddit, the worse you stink of it. Also if you haven't heard of Precursors then you really need to lurk some more.

Absolutely no different from any other community, except perhaps more forward with the fact that they don't give a shit about you and will rape your corpse for fun, but curiously also more helpful because they're intelligent enough to realize players need to be kept around if they're going to be raped for fun.

Just avoid goons and their friends. Even Eve has concentrations of SJW cancer here and there.

Even though Astroneers is low-poly indie shit, it seems like a neat little game to while away time in. Anyone here been keeping up with it?

Keep plebbing it up, you're only plebbing your plebness ever more.

FTL was rinse-repeat and boring, and Banner Saga was flat on it's mechanics and repetitive. I can attest to both of those. Shantae is a mediocre game and only has popularity due to brown tits, Grimdawn was Grimyawn, and Original Sin has finicky mechanics and terrible plot. And don't get me started on Tumblrtale.

Well that sounds a little fun at least.

your underage is showing

I never said they were bad because tumblr. I said you were. They're bad because they're shit. Like you are.

Not an argument. :^)

Can't play it yet, so no way to determine anything. Looks interesting though.

Maybe if you don't like TB combat. It's some of the best fun I've had in an RPG. The plot is fine, it's the writing that is bad.

You must have only started playing space games within the last few years, when they all became economic simulators. All the best classic space games were nothing but 1st person dogfighting.

Just because a game hasn't ever gotten a western release, don't mean we don't want it, badly.
Precursors has only been mentioned 2 times in the last few months, so he's just shitposting about it. Just some retarded russian bullshit that the cheekibreeki's like solely because its russian.

There are other games that have gone for nearly a decade without western release, no matter how badly we crave it.

Don't ever go to the steam forum and criticize this game. But go for a laugh, or to rustle some jimmies.

Also it seems like the only thing FD do lately is nerf shit. All the while not shutting up about exploring. Some need money for that, while others want to farm for engies. FD are really all over the place.

But as boring as the game is, I can't stop playing it…

The mandate?

Still dead

You are lying

Divinity Original Sin is a remake of an existing game that they took both kikestarter money for, as well as, and I quote one of their devs, "Murdering Dragon Commander". Dragon Commander is still unplayable for many people and you're lucky Original Sin is at all playable with the attitude of the developer. They have a history of releasing poor performing crap and then selling you a patch as a goty edition, see Divinity 2 vs Divinity 2:DKS, absolute jews you shouldn't support.

Who cares, it's already playable?

I never said that that was the case, user.

After im done grinding for this trade CG ill head over there I hear there are ways to quick jump a minor faction through smuggling.

If 1999 is what you consider the last few years, then yeah sure.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA no. Dogfighting games are absolute fucking garbage.

Considering that the number of space games where spaceships actually behave like spaceships can be counted on one hand, you can't possibly like this genre very much.

And thank god, because spaceships being like spaceships doesn't make a game good. Independence War spaceships behave like spaceships but the gameplay is no better than any other plane space game. All of the entertainment value is derived from developing and testing tactical ideas.

And I sure hope you play flight simulators so you even have a metric for what constitutes good dogfighting.

This entire line doesn't make any sense. At all.

Yes it does.

They behave like planes, not spaceships.

…Are you retarded?

Okay, what the fuck are you even going on about now. Are you replying to the right person? Are you sure you're not in the wrong thread or something?

So what exactly do you think makes a space game good?

20-40k people on at anytime. There's also a Holla Forums corp

Nice corp symbol.

Although I would have preferred "Brennan, James & Garrison Inc."

I've joined it since them comments. We need more people, there's 4 of us and the other two haven't been on in a week each.

>abloo bloo your post doesn't make any sense so I can't construct a rebuttal
How did I know this would happen?

I know your type so I'm working on the assumption that you believe space dogfighting games suck because their flight model is more simplistic than a real flight simulator with BFM, energy management, etc. Because that's the only reason someone would dislike this broad subset of space games. But who knows, maybe you haven't played enough of these games to know whether they're good.

Planes that can thrust in six directions, planes that can reach arbitrarily high speeds, planes that can turn in any direction during flight regardless of their vector, planes that enter an uncontrolled drift when they lose power. Those kinds of planes?

I'm going to go with my second theory, because you obviously didn't play this or even know about it before posting.

No, they suck because Spaceships are not fucking planes you stupid fuck. Space combat should be more like naval combat. That is the ONLY acceptable way to do space combat.

The kind with wings, a cockpit in the front, and an engine in the back, yeah. The kind that are built for flying straight aerodynamically instead of moving freely. The entire concept of fighters in space is beyond retarded.

Spaceships are nothing like boats you uneducated mongoloid retard!
Spaceships do not sink if you poke wholes bellow the waterline, you can't hide over the horizon in fucking orbit, your weapons will have ranges out to a light second or more thats 300.000 kilometers in idiot speak, a single ship will be able to accurately track the movements of anything in the entire solar system to within a kilometer or two of their actual position, even at a range of light hours, there is no stealth, cover, hiding or any other useful way to conceal your movements in space short of reality warping fairydust based technology, in space, larger vessels are likely to be able to outmanoeuvre and out accelerate smaller vessels, unlike at sea where water drag makes larger vessels less efficient than planes, on top of that, without water resistance, your warships have an effective speed cap based solely on how long they can accelerate, meaning the carrier launching those useless space fighters, will most likely be able to outrun them too, and since everyone in orbit will have nukes and lasers that can cut a ship in half with no time to dodge the shot for the target from half a million kilometers away, realistic space combat will have nothing in common with any kind of modern tactics for any other environment we are currently fighting it. Two cruisers in orbit over the same planet shooting at eachother would be akin to playing tag armed with sniper rifles that can oneshot anyone and aimbots for all players, in a brightly lit room with nothing but a small ball in the middle for cover.

4E7D48300F1035DF66DD5B4A4101A9ACCF3628EC or rutracker.org/forum/dl.php?t=4462342
english patch: legendsworld.net/shooter/game/1802

A kind user in the Slavic games thread gave me this. Gonna try it out later tonight

I heard they were gonna try to re-balance the engineer grind. They were also gonna remove the commodity requirement until they could find a way to fix it or add commodity storage, but I don't know when they are going to do that.

Yeah no, space isnt some empty bullshit that makes it pretty much impossible to hide and oh so easy to detect everything even at high ranges.
Have you ever fucking heard of stellar bodies? Let alone the amount of radiation that is going on even just outside earths magnetic field? We need a fuckton of redundancy and time to communicate with anything beyond the moon and you think that one ship would just be able to pick up on any space ship that isnt going nuts output wise likes it´s nothing? It´ s like you have never heard of stealth planes and boats
until they have to change course of course, then they are fucked because they need to apply an equally great force to counter their momentum, which would be more than smaller ships and needs more fuel.
Yeah because calculating the projectile paths is that easy and the crews would never try to fly unpredictably right? Also we already have upcoming tech to shoot down fucking mortar and artillery projectiles mid flight so fuck your implication that there wouldnt be any defensive capabilities

It's SPACE. It is as close to being nothing as your peanut brain could even comprehend. Distance presents almost no obstacle for detection whatsoever. We can detect objects on the moon the size of a fucking lunchbox, or earth-size planets dozens of lightyears away.

You must orbit a stellar body which means any concealment they provide is going to be momentary and predictable.
Doesn't impede detection and identification at all.
The primary mechanism of detection in space are optical and thermal, which are impossible to hide and aren't susceptible to interference. We are discussing detection, not communication.
Stealth works because radar is the primary detection mechanism on earth, where the atmosphere makes long-range optical/thermal detection impossible. In case you were unaware, there is no atmosphere in space. Stealth as we understand it is impossible in space.
Real life doesn't work like that. Heavy spacecraft have more Delta-V allowing them to make greater course corrections than a lighter spacecraft. Delta-V is the only consideration and it makes them better at changing course, not worse. A lighter spacecraft would only be better at making rapid but strategically irrelevant course corrections.

Scientifically illiterate plebeians shouldn't dive face-first into space discussions.

Actually, thats kind of the definition of VACUUM you fucking moron.
A big empty void of nothing at all. With a background temperature of about 3 kelvin, versus the 300 kelvin temperature of anything that needs to be able to support human life. So even with your engines on and trying your hardest to be undetectable, your shio is most likely still going to be several hundred degrees warmer than EVERYTHING ELSE AROUND IT.
There are asteroids, planets and shit around, but they are all far too small to obfuscate your position to any useful degree. This is because your engine will notify the entire system of exactly where you are, who you are, where you're going and it will be visible to modern telescopes as a distance of LIGHTYEARS. You can't hide the several kilometer long plasma flame with an output like a healthy sized nuke going off behind your ship every second. Not when the rest of what's behind you is that GIANT VOID OF NOTHING.
And if you don't use that engine, you will just be coasting along forever, in a simple predictable path that anyone who has seen you for even a second, can accurately predict several years in advance.
So your options are, don't turn on your engine, and the enemy will know where you are, or you can turn on the engine to change speed and direction, and the enemy will now know EXACTLY where you are.
The size and temperature of that giant flame behind your ship tells anyone looking at it how much thrust your ship is putting out, and you can't fake it to look bigger or smaller than it should be, and from seeing how fast its moving, they can tell exactly how big your ship is, where its going and at what speed.
The only way around this problem is to shoot a laser out the back of the ship and hope noone notices the beam. It will be harder to spot, but will also limit your ship to accelerating only a few milimeters per hour, so its not exactly useful, and it requires a fuckton of power, so your ship is going to be extremely hot, and thus easy to spot anyway.
Hell, even small amounts of thrust are easy to spot, due to the background heat of just barely above absolute zero. In fact, if a modern space shuttle was firing one of its maneuvering thrusters, not even the big one on the back, just the little ones used for turning it, while in a low orbit of jupiter, it would be visible to modern telescopes on the earth.
Once you scale up your spaceship to hundreds or thousands of tons, and fire any kind of thruster that can move that much mass at even 1m/s, let alone at a speed that would actually be useful and not leave you with travel times of several months under full thrust just to get to the next planet over, the size of that plasma plume can be seen lightyears away. And thats not even accounting for improvements to telescopes with advanced technology.

In short, no stealth in space without physics violating fairydust technology.

This has more to do with trying to send a useful radio signal that can still deliver useful information than it does detecting heat sources against a background of cosmic background radiation. Not relevant to how detectable your ship is to a thermal camera or telescope, you fucking retard.
Radar stealth isn't going to do shit to hide that GIANT PLUME OF PLASMA HOTTER THAN THE SUNS SURFACE DIRECTLY BEHIND YOUR SHIP every time you change speed.

No its not you fucking retard. Its a function of thrust vs mass, with bigger engines being more efficient at producing thrust, and thus producing more thrust for the same mass than a smaller ships engines can. This means that unlike wet water ships that increase their drag as they get bigger aswell as having to move more mass, in space there is no waterdrag, so those big ships can suddenly accelerate faster than smaller ships with less efficient engines.
Thus a ship going at a relative speed of 10.000 m/s trying to slow down to enter a planets orbit would be able to do so faster than a smaller ship going the same speed, since the big ships more effective thrust would let it decelerate faster than a smaller ship could.

continued

If those two ships have engines that can direct even a fraction of the power that goes into those giant plasma plumes they make when they maneuver, into a laser beam, would be able to dump a small nuclear blast's worth of heat into an area a milimeter across on the enemy ship, at the speed of light. There is no way any ship can maneuver to dodge something like that.
Failing that, there's the nuclear missiles ships would likely be armed with, any one of which is pretty much a guaranteed kill on anything it hits, or you can use missiles without warheads. At a relative speed of 3.000 m/s an impact would release as much energy as the missiles own weight in TNT. And since orbital velocity for earth is over 6.000 m/s and an attack would likely come from the front, and the energy of the impact goes up exponentially as you increase speed, at 12.000 m/s (two orbits going opposite directions would be faster than this) it would pack 16 times its own weight in kablam. That would give a 10 kilo submunition going that fast the punch of a modern antiship missile. A missile weighing one ton with half its mass dedicated to carrying such submunitions would be able to send 500 of those at a target at once, and at 10 kilo's a piece, they'd easily be fitted with a simple cheap sensor, enough processing power to remember what target they're supposed to hit and a thruster to allow it to guide itself onto its target. Good luck trying to shoot down all 50 incoming sub munitions. And that would be just one missile fired at you. And this would be the low end of the kind of weaponry being used. No ship would survive being shot even once.

TL:DR In realistic space combat you can't hide, you can't dodge everything coming at you and you sure as fuck can't survive getting hit. And hitting your target is going to be dead easy too.
Please stop embarassing yourself with your delusions of hollywood movies depictions of space combat. Instead, go educated yourself:
projectrho.com/public_html/rocket/spacewarintro.php

Its a phone name called star command, it was fun, I wonder if they updated it with more missions and story

What's the name of the game that simulates all of it? It pretty much confirms all of it. One dude made a 200MW laser that was murdering everything at 300 Km or less, before they even got to fire their weapons.
The problem with lasers is focusing the beam. At such massive wattages, the focusing apparatuses will start to have trouble. Too much energy.

Oh fuck me, yeah of course it has a fuckton of space relative to our usual battlefields but that doesnt make Planets, planetoids, asteroids and whatever the fuck else too small to be useful.
That takes a quite a bit of time not to mention that we detect these planets mainly by observing the the Sun of that system and its small changes in spin. With the obvious exception when the planet is IN FRONT OF THE SUN not just some random place.
How do I need to orbit the stellar body for it to conceal me? It just needs to be between me and the point I think is most likely to contain the observer
Do you have something to back that up?
In case you were unaware there are already working IR concealment techs so unless you have the engine on of course it is far from impossible to hinder detection by that and while optical may work, a good enough optic will give you an extreme tunnelvision and probably be quite slow.
Aside from the scenario that was provided in where rapid small adjustments could indeed prevent getting hit(assuming of course that projectile is dumb)

obviously not but you constantly assume that the engine has to fire because otherwise someone who did spot me would have an easy time getting a hit on me. True but WHY would need to assume this? And why would you choose to, as you put it notify the whole system because I might be compromised over holding a "low profile" for as long as you cant be sure you have been detected? It´s not like you wouldnt be able to watch out for threats either.
Again: Yes we have telescopes that can detect these things however they are usually so "zoomed" in that it´s far from improbable that you would have blindspots in a defense system.
While it´s pretty doubtful that missile shields or equal systems wouldnt be able to neutralize incoming missiles, I agree that the small particles would be a great problem

Do you even know Newtons laws of motion you moron?
In space, unless you push yourself forward, but turning on that giant thruster, you will continue in the same direction, forever.
Now, if the enemy saw that drive plume, last time your ship changed speed, they can now calculate exactly where you ship is, because they know exactly how fast its going and what direction its going in. They can tell where you are going and how fast, by looking at that drive plume.
See the problem?

In a hypothetical situation, earth space navy wants to track a warship from mars heading to the asteroid belt. Now they can see the thruster on marsian ship as it sets off to the belt, since its a 25.000 ton ship trying to accelerate at 1g or 9.81 m/s for a week to get TO the asteroid belt in less than 5 years. To be sneaky little shits, the martians turn off their drive plume after 3 weeks rather than the 2 months an optimal travel time would suggest, and just coasting the rest of the way out to the belts.
Now the martians have several problems. For one, they have no way to slow down once they get TO the asteroid belt, short of spending 3 weeks slowing down, with a giant drive plume giving away their position. For another, the 3 month trip is now going to take the better part of a year. For a third, even while coasting with their engines off, Earth Space Navy would still know where they are, since know the ships heading and speed. And on top of all this, the Martian ship is STILL plainly visible to Earth Space Navy Telescopes since it has to keep its internal temperature high enough that its crew don't freeze to death, at an average temperature of 283 kelvin, which will light up like a christmas tree against the cosmic background heat of 3 kelvin.
Even if the Martians where being super extra mega sneaky and only accelerating their ship towards the asteroid belt while the ship was behind mars, they'd only get a few minutes of acceleration before the ship had cleared mars, so the trip would now take many years to get to the belt. Also, the drive plume of hot plasma being ejected behind the ship would be blasted clear of mars itself and thus be visible from earth still. And the ship itself would still be visible from earth, since it needs to do shit and thus produces heat, even if it has no crew, and thus is still hotter than the cosmic background heat of almost -273 degrees celcius. So the ship would still be easily detectable. And the drive plume would still be obvious to any spotters sitting anywhere BUT in a close orbit of earth. It would be stupid to assume that Earth Space Navy isn't going to use observation posts and satellites and shit sitting in other places than a low earth orbit, so the cover of mars itself is utterly irrelevant as far as stealth goes.

Are you really assuming they not only, are limited to one telescope, haven't been tracking potential problems in advance and are therefore likely to be looking in your direction as often as possible, but that they are also limited to taking one picture at a time? You DO know that the cpu in your graphics can work through enough date to "scan" the entire sky around your ship in every possible direction, several times per minute.

Dude, you are not saying anything new or revolutionary. That link I mentioned, has the sum total of years of debating by doctors and professors in everything from astrophysics to engineering discussing how spaceships could work. Their conclusions on stealth is pretty simple. Its simply not practically feasible without rewriting physics as humanity understands it today. But don't take my word for it, read the article:
projectrho.com/public_html/rocket/spacewardetect.php#nostealth

Eh, you´ve beaten me to it and I´ll just quote "Ultimately, stealth in space is somewhat possible, but current proposed solutions are either ridiculously expensive, impractical, or require you to accept limitations that defeat the purpose of stealth in the first place."
Although a Drone seems to be the closest thing possible according to the blog.
Sounds like One would have a better chance doing fuckery with electronic warfare than trying any of this shit.

lol

Anything new in Stellaris 1.4?

We need more people. In fact, we need all of Holla Forums to allow us to grow.
Without their insider information, the goons are vulnerable. We have the autistic power to outdo them, but we need to work together.

This will be our game. These will be our servers.

Something about lowered ship upkeep costs and apparently they are planning on bringing extra-dimensional beings into the game.
forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/stellaris-dev-diary-51-extradimensionals-and-precursors.979890/

Full changelog.
forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/update-1-4-released-checksum-54ed-not-for-problem-reports.986612/

You niggers were just pulling your dicks, well whatever, gonna go ahead and give those BGS influence tricks a shot before Fdev patches them.

What a perfect place to see him.

Shores of Hazeron

build an entire empire from the ground up, get to space, build a flotilla, fuck over other players

all in glorious, first person, low-poly visuals

Did they put the old graphics options back in? I miss the classic look of that game.

Nah everything's still shiny.

Although speaking of the old game I miss the old factional miners I played in the trial years back. They've been removed and every single Empire just uses ORE ships instead of their mining operations because that make sense lets entrust our entire mining capability to a single Gallente Corporation. So fucking stupid and uncool, the ORE ships look garbage and don't come close to matching the A E S T H E T I C of any of the factions. I miss mining in the Tormentor.

The only game that plays like HW is ORB and its shit, interesting story, but shit gameplay

That maybe be true but there's a ton of good mods for it, Stargate, Star Wars, Battlestar Galactica, Mass Effect… hell, those are all by the same guys, Phoenix Interactive Inc., who are updating them all to HD now that original versions that were included in the Remaster can handle the HD models.

ENDLESS SPACE 2 HAS GOOD MUSIC

yeah, I'm a trucker, not a fighter. I helped as much as the random bullshit quests allowed me to make, complete with the almost zero gains in influence and power.

forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php/312747-ED-Background-Simulation-Large-Faction-Influence-Swing-Mechanics

There are other ways to help out, sadly not one of the stations in wheemez have a black market.

Anyone got the Stellaris 1.4 update? All the torrents I see seem shady.

lel, ED will be ported to the PS4.

A no-content game for a no-games system.

When your space game can be played on a controller, you know it's shit.

what really stings that frontier (elite 2) is still more fun then ED.

way way wayyyy past that point.

Its dead, Jim.

Some people on the ED forums were asking where the promised content for this Season is and the forumdads went "Well they promised a Season worth of content, they never said how long a Seasons was going to last! :^)"

Gas these people.

how so?

IT'S HAPPENING

I'd be tempted to join, but not gonna lie, traps are pretty gay. Also I'm fucking garbage useless. Also I'm a minny pilot.

I honestly dislike the corp name. Dubs demanded it, I know, but still.

You are the worst of goys.

v.1.4.0(54ed) (from 6.12.16)
magnet:?xt=urn:btih:7e09a73d5574e3ccfdc87b1bf86298b4658bdaaa&dn=%5BR.G.Gamblers%5D.Stellaris&tr=retracker.local/announce

looks like the new patch will release before the PS4 launch.

hmm, is this finally worth playing?

Torrent when?

I saw people playing the new update, and it seems to lag out the other player to 1fps when the host planted a block down so probably not.

Unless you're talking about the update that happened just today, there's a good likelyhood it's a non-issue. For a couple of weeks there have been 3 different dev branches with 3 different new netcode candidates. Today was the merge of the 3 candidates' best features.

Space engineers if you get a bigger ship that needs multiple people. I have seen gunners, engineer crew, pilot, captain, fighter jocks, drone jocks, and marines on ships before.

Overall fairly fun.

So while I relieze that actual space fighters are somewhat unrealistic as well as some smaller ships. What about smaller ships/fighters that are able to go from atmosphere to orbit? Something like docked on a space elevator that is used in a more defensive purpose to protect planets. Would those be able to be used well with the lancer tactics as mentioned on that blog post about space fighters?

Fucking finally, now I just need to wait for mods to be fixed and to get rid of some now obsolete mods.

No, it was the major update. It was a stream with people checking out all the new shit added.

Whether or no a smaller ship makes sense, depends on what you need it to do.
If you need a craft that can be carried by a larger cruiser, and be used to make trips from orbit to the surface and back, a smaller craft makes perfect sense. Probably wouldn't be much good in a fight against another cruiser, but then again, that wouldn't be its job.
Fighters make sense, if you make them drones, and use them for engaging planetary defences from a carrier in orbit. They can get a better look at what goes on surface side, carry enough firepower to engage targets they meet there, and are less expensive then trying something insane, like making a cruiser that can land on a planets surface.
Works the other way around too. A small craft that can take off from any landing strip or patch of flat ground, fly around in the atmosphere or into orbit to engage attacking warships that are getting too close to the planet, while costing only a fraction of what those ships cost, would be handy for planetary defence.

So whether a ship needs to be big or not, depends on what you want your ship to do.
Having big powerful engines for travelling around in deepspace or making fast maneuvers, isn't a requirement for all spaceships, and you CAN make a good case for a modular cargocarrier that can be cheaply massproduced for civilian markets, but be fitted with modules that give it military grade ECM/Sensor/weapons or other such capabilities as needed. This would not only let you press thousands of available civilian ships into military service as quickly as you can produce the guns and train the crews to use them, it would also make it hard to tell military ships from freighters.

pls email [email protected]/* */ if you're a cat named sakamoto and want a cute furret to lick your paws
PREVIOUS THREADDY

You got the wrong thread, furfaggot.

you're talking to a bot.

I am not a clever man.

Couldnt you go even cheaper by using them in groups and just stripping guns to those modular ships while having only one ship be the actual CIC and sensors? The obvious downside being that you may loose your eyes and ears if that ship goes down.

Stop shilling your retarded clickbait shit

That would depend on which is cheaper.
One big container ship with a big engine for hauling lots of external containers, or adding an engine to each module and strapping them together. Personally my money is on the big one, but the engines for the smaller ones may be cheaper if you just make them in large enough quantities.
Either way, one advantage of a modular setup is that you can bring spares of all your vital systems. Just so long as you have room for the extra modules.

Neat!

well for one I don't have my head up my ass about whats happening with SC.

If you still think the non game tech demos after 7 years of dev isn't failure then you just a rube and should give them all your money,.

You would need to train your hand by doing casual stuff with it, but it would take a long ass time. Just don't be autistic and use your regular drawing hand.

The widow visiting her husband's grave with his Machamp was pretty dark.

Our group in Eve Online is growing. Had a fun day of space trucking, one of us got blown the fuck up by another player.

jej

Nice doubles senpai, checked.

fuck off dean

There actually isn't a single space sim that does space combat realistically. Not even IW1 or 2 even come close.

And truth be told a realistic space combat sim is going to look more like those naval warfare sims than a world war 2 dogfighter

Isn't it limited to tier 1 skills or whatever? It's not free at all, it's an unlimited free trial

I never said it wasn't without its limits, but free is free.

They're close enough. Actually more like Submarines.

Poke a hole in a spaceship and you expose the inside to vacuum, which fucks parts mechanically, kills crew, makes movement inside the spacecraft harder, and reduces efficiency of heat dispersion for any components relying on the interior atmosphere for that.

You can. Horizons are the planets and stellar bodies themselves. Best example would be combat in a jovian-style system where there's hundreds of moonlets, dozens of actual moons, an icy ring system, the gas giant itself - all providing "terrain" and horizons.

Laser weapons cannot focus that far. Even a large 10m wide lens for an x-ray laser is going to punch to maybe 30,000km's and that's being pretty generous. Lasers are short range. Projectile and missile weapons are extremely long range, but you run into light lag problems and have to guess where your target will be minutes or even hours or days into the future, and their range envelope depends on your ship's current trajectory; it's not a perfect bubble around your ship, but elongated in the direction you're already moving.

This is all incorrect. I know projecthro goes to great lengths to "prove" there's no stealth in space, but the fact is that it's a whole lot of "it depends…"; you can chill a spacecraft's side facing the target to background radiation levels, sensor systems are not actually as sophisticated as projecthro tries to claim: They use highly sensitive scientific observation instruments, not robust combat systems, as the basis for their calculation of how long it would take to scan the sky for object occlusions of the starfield - if this were actually possible in the way they imply, we wouldn't be using WISE to scan for asteroids in the asteroid belt, just starfield occlusion techniques, and even WISE asteroid discoveries (which uses a cryogenically cooled IR telescope) in the solar system takes days/weeks of scientists pouring over the resultant datapoints examining it for objects or verifying automatically detected objects. That's before we even get into electronic warfare. To tl;dr because it's getting pretty long winded: For the most part, especially at short distances, it's going to be easy to see another spacecraft. But for long distances, and if the other guy REALLY wants to hide, there are ways to do this.

Ships will adopt a random walk pattern so that their future position cannot be perfectly estimated. Lasers are short range, lightspeed railguns are basically science fantasy tier rather than hard scifi, and particle cannons can be deflected by ship-based magnetic fields. It's not a case of two sides having hitscan sniper rifles.

Space combat is more like rocket submarines belching nuclear fire out the ass end while skating around on black ice firing nuclear warheads and cannons at each other - working to limit the maneuvering options of the other submarine by putting something in his current path he will want to avoid while trying to hit him from a second flanking angle from a direction where he doesn't have much gun coverage.

Design wise they'll probably be heavily armored cylinders with almost all the armor on the nose to maximize the amount of armor protection for the mass of the armor.

.>Actually more like Submarines
They're nothing alike aside from both being hermetically sealed.
One is nearly blind, moving through an environment that conceals it, trying to find its opponents through a means that reveals its own location.
The other has no problem seeing or tracking targets, passive sensors work fine on their own and its entire possible to fire lasers directly at your target instead of having to use slow torpedoes with tracking systems the enemy can hear coming.
On top of that, submarines like ships, tend to sink if you poke holes in them and have sharp limits to how deep they can dive, limiting their ability to fight in 3 dimensions like spaceships, the ranges they fight at are short, due to water limiting detection range, and their mobility is limited due to waterdrag.

Most sci fi's outside of hollywood and computergames recommend pumping your atmosphere out of your ship before combat to avoid just this happening in a fight. It also prevents fires. If you are too dumb to do so, you deserve to die to explosive decompression.

Lasers can be effective well beyond 30.000 km, and even at 30.000km, they'd have traditional cannons, railguns and railgun launched missiles at a hefty disadvantage while doubling as point defence.
Projectile weapons suffer from cripplingly low muzzle velocities, with projections for railguns at barely 3.0000 m/s. For ships who's minimal orbital velocity is 6.000 m/s and are expected to have plasma torch engines with multiple g's of acceleration. At even 1 g of acceleration, those 3,000 m/s is the equivalent of 5 minutes of thrusting. Once you have to take account of the enemy's ability to simply speed up, slow down or just change their direction a bit, manoeuvring a 200 meter long cruiser enough to dodge a round with that little extra speed. The only important part is then your ships own relative velocity, which the enemy can account for, as well. And if you want to hit the enemy from beyond that "laser range", that super fast railgun slug is going to spend nearly 3 hours crossing that distance. If you think your opponent hasn't simply dodged it and shot you several thousand times with their laser, which moves fast enough that you can't dodge it, especially at that range.
Take a hypothetical situation. Ship A from Mars is moving towards Earth, Ship B is orbiting Luna and moves to intercept ship A several days before it gets near earth.
Both ships start at an arbitrarily long distance from eachother and close at a relative velocity of 30.000 m/s. Both ships can see eachother days in advance. Ship A has a railgun with a muzzle velocity of 3.000 m*s while ship B has a laser with 30.000 km range. If ship A fires on ship B, the slugs from his gun will have an effective speed of 33.000 m/s relative, at a distance of 30.000 km, the maximum distance we use the laser on, it will take that slug just over 900 seconds to get to ship B, giving ship B's crew nearly 15 minutes to maneuver their ship out of the way of that shot. If ship A wants to actually hit with that railgun, they will have to get a hell of a lot closer than 30.000 km to have any chance of hitting before ship B dodges their shots.
Meanwhile, ship B's laser takes 0.1 seconds to cross those same 30.000 km stretch, giving ship A quite litterally, only a fraction of a second, from the shot is fired, till it hits, with ship A having no warning, since ship A can't see the laser being fired at them, until the laser hits them.
Ship A could have fired the railgun earlier, at greater distance, while travelling at a higher relative velocity, but the shot would have been equally useless, since greater distance would also give ship B even more time to dodge. Ship A isn't going to cross that huge distance ship B's laser can reach fast enough to hit ship B, until they are closing at relativistic speeds.

Even accepting that silly 30.000 km range thing, the laser would still leave any railgun nothing but a useless toy. If you increase relative velocity of the ships to a whooping 100.000 m/s, Ship B would still have 5 minutes to react to any railgun shot from 30.000 km range, and keep in mind, at 100.000 m/s relative velocity, one of these ships is likely to coast all the way out of the suns gravity well if it doesn't actively slow down.

continued
Missiles are a different story, since they can coast towards a target until their battery runs out, and even afterwards, can still kill if someone blunders into its path. They are however vulnerable to lasers, And against a laser, the missile still has the problem of having to get past the lasers range without being hit if it wants to have any chance to kill. The whole question of missiles or lasers is one for another time as its a fairly complex question.

The rest of your arguments aren't any better really.
You CAN supercool part of your ship, but the equipment to try that would be big and very power hungry, resulting in huge energy drain on your ship, requiring it to produce even more power, making it even hotter. And even if you somehow get this shit to work, while preventing heat from the other, now superheated, side of your ship bleed through to the supercooled side, this would still have 2 minor flaws. Firstly, the system does nothing to hide the giant plasma contrails your engine leaves any time you change your course, so they will see you line up your coasting and can calculate exactly where you are, and simply look for metallic objects in the area your ship should be in, to find it. Secondly, and an even bigger problem, is that any observer looking at your ship from ANY OTHER DIRECTION THAN THE ONE YOUR SUPER COOLED SIDE IS ON, is now looking at a super heated ship, far hotter than even regular, and easy to spot ships, making your ship even more painfully obvious, while at the same time making it obvious that your ship is trying badly to hide.
Supercooling is an incredibly bad idea, but its pretty fucking obvious that you haven't actually read project rho's article on stealth in space, since this is one of the common arguments they mention being used in these discussions and they also show all the number crunching to mathematically prove what a colossally idiotic idea that is.

The rest of your arguments are no better. Go back to school before you try to play with the big boys.
If you want a detailed explanation for why your ideas are moronic, read the article again, and this time, assume that unless can prove their numbers are wrong, that they are right and that you are simply too stupid to understand the nittygritty details of why. This should be a familiar sensation for you.

Ehh, it depends.
Seems more like an "enemy of my enemy is my friend" type of situation.
Both are willing to deal with one another in order to spite Sonyggers.

If he was good, he wouldn't be very fun to listen to.

Just started reading starship troopers and i'm really enjoying it. Neat that there are new humans from the environments on other planets. Makes you wonder what a "normal" human looks like to them. Haven't reached a part with the bugs yet but it feels a lot different to the movie.
Are there any games that capture high tech infantry tactics in space or against ayys? EDF was really underwhelming and, although fun, xcom (and nucom) aren't what i'm looking for. Something fast would scratch the itch.

If you finish the book you're going to be really annoyed with how the movie played out, trust me. Bugs don't come til much later in the book.
And, besides the games you described, not really.

so what? are you one of the guys who said he might not be able to afford a lawyer?

how fucking retarded are you to think that the same laws and options your country has apply the same to other countries?

fucking retards on this board. just atleast try to check out how things work in a country before you talk shit

4am

whos the guy on the right

no games

Star Trek Online was pretty cool for that, I think.

Get ready for more history and moral philosophy.
Aside from that, there aren't too many games where you stand between the desolation of war and your own home, that are fast paced and focused around Xenos, but a lot of games allow you to take the role of a soldier. I would suggest some flight sims, since Johnny points out that the MI is more related to the chair-force than to our modern infantry.

I hope you do understand that the apparatus that can fire the lasers uses mirrors and crystals right? What's to stop any warhead having the exact same at the front of itself? Lasers are useless and inefficient.

It would be so much better if recalling fighters worked properly.

Ah, the trusty old "my ship is immune to lasers because its covered in mirrors" argument.
Aside from the blindingly obvious answer of "lasers don't actually need to disintegrate incoming missiles to render them harmless, merely blind their sensitive sensors and move out of the way",
More pressingly, that 10 meter diameter or more mirror used to focus that laser beam, will already be pushing the limits of how much heat and energy the material can reflect, while the laser is spread out over that big of an area. Once the beam is focused down to a tiny spot on a target, even if that target is another laser mirror, the beam is going to melt the target mirror, and once it begins to melt, its ability to reflect lasers will drastically drop, increasing the efficiency of the laser.
To put it in smaller words, putting a mirror, even one good enough to focus the beam you are being hit by, on the front of your ship, is only going to buy you a few nanoseconds of protection against the laser. Its the difference between a piece of paper sitting in the sun, where it just gets warm, and using a magnifying glass to focus the suns rays onto a small part of the paper to light it on fire.

A laser weapon would damage something primarily by depositing a large amount of heat into it, which would require that the laser stayed focused on a given point for some period of time.

If two ships are potentially thousands of km apart, and potentially accelerating / changing course at a rate of several Gs, how probable is it that you'd be able to maintain the laser-beam at a given position on the hull for anything more than a tiny fraction of a second?

only fun part is planet landings

Because it doesn't need a lot of time focused on that point. Heat spreads. You'd need to maintain a focus at or around an area. Not only that, but aiming systems can and do, even today, focus on tiny shit flying at retarded speeds. You only need a moderately competent optical recognition system, and a massively huge processor.
If your system can correct its aim a million times per second, you don't need much more.

While the UI for EvE has improved somewhat over the years, you still basically need 2 screens to monitor everything you need. Fuck.

there's bots that fill roles decently enough to play solo but i feel ya

Darkstar One has more gameplay and reactivity to your actions than fucking ED. At that point, it is too late, it will never be good.

What's the Holla Forums corporation of EVE? I'm thinking about getting back into it.

There's Children of a Dead Earth. Not a Flight sim per se though. Still, it's as accurate as you're gonna get.
childrenofadeadearth.wordpress.com/

I'm tempted as fuck to join you guys but really wish the name was something 8ch related. Also, how are he controls of that game. Never played Eve before but can give it a try since while I grind in ED.

I played EVE for more than 8 years straight before quitting, I'm tempted to come back but deep down I know I don't want to. Good luck though.

Mostly point and click, you don't directly control your ship.

This is pretty good.
What's it from? ISS?

Yup. Timelapse from the ISS.

Not even that, use a series of nanosecond pulses instead of a constant beam. Causes detonations on the surface they hit, allow the gasses from the explosion to dissipate just enough, that a second pulse can hit in the crater made by the first pulse and so on. Can easily dump 50 pulses or more in one place less than 0.001 seconds.
The effect is less of a beam slowly cutting through the target, and more akin to a cone of metal right through the ship exploding all at once, to a humans perception.
A laser isn't just some martian heat ray from war of the worlds, stop trying to use it as one.

I haven't beat a game that wasn't a AAA title that I could either breeze through or was in a series I liked, for anything other than what I've described it needs to really grip me. I have Kotor 1 and 2, and heard they're some of the best games ever made, along with Vampire the masquerade: Bloodlines. Should I give these a dip? Will they pull me in?

I should clarify that I fucked up that first sentence, I haven't beat anything other than that in AWHILE I meant.

I would go with patched Vampire before Kotor personally. Kotor is good, but I liked VTMB better.

Kotor 1 is pretty typical bioware, if you've played any of their other games the characters will seem the same and the story progression will as well

Kotor 2 is better, but you need to patch it up since it's Obsidian
Vampire is better than both and has a top tier soundtrack

Kotor 2 with the restoration mod is a must. VTMB also needs a few mods/patches for it to be playable thanks to a rushed released.

i played dice games on the backseat with my brothers

I love the FGC for the moments like this

Homeworld Remastered ruined the original homeworld. Everything if broken and impossible.

Just got done with this. I added multiple screens over it for some reason.

What does that change, though? The two characters have developed their own styles. It's not like Panda is taking up a character slot or anything. DLC existing pretty much puts those qualms to rest.

You're an idiot. You don't deserve a legitimate answer. The game is good, get the FUCK over it, faggot.

Git good nigga, i was able to finish it.

Doesn't mean I didn't beat it. I was more referring to how they fucked up frigates and had to redo my strategies from the original.

Actualy, it makes MGS feel more in line with the rest of the series. Really, MGS1's tone is a bit too serious for the rest of the series.

TTS has:

The only things TTS does wrong are:
But neither of these things make the game bad. They just make it different. With the plethora of things that are just a streight improvement, I'm totally willing to say TTS is better than MGS1. Being easier, and having different cutscenes doesn't make it a bad game, or even a bad MGS game. The only reason this game gets hate is because it's not a 1 to 1 conversion of the original, with updated graphics.

Money never had any real purpose in DnD either.
So you are only seeing adaption issues

This year was no worse than others.

stop posting this everyday

SC will have the same basic problems as ED. On top of choosing an engine that wasn't even going to be able to do half of what they had in mind, they made it multiplayer.

ED and SC should have been single player and then their gameplay ideas could have been doable. Look at ED, the engine fully support seamlessness but because of multiplayer you got instancing on top of a really shitty netcode. FDev is just starting to realize they spent the last 2 years painting themselves in a corner.

There is only one Dook.

You already know it is

Xcom 2 was easily one of the actually worth watching LPs in recent times. And Matt wasnt in it, which really shows how much he is holding the channel back.
I think he is lucky for having such good friends, because any other guys would have ditched his ass already.

PON
PON
CHAKA
CHAKA

Did someone break 8ch or is this just bot spam?

they both fucking suck and mods are garbage

Christ, seriously? I played 2 and it was never as fun as that webm seems.

digital only or retail?

i have hope for remake because xv is good

This raid is shit and you're shit.

It has actually, you can finally bookmark places and once you can a landable planet you can see what the planet looks like from the system map finally. Neutron stars got a graphics upgrade and you can get a fsd boost of something like 300%? by flying through the cone. You'll need an amfu though as it damages your fsd with each supercharge.

Prices for finds are still shit but there is talk that during the new beta the payments of exploration finds might be increased to make the process more lucrative. Also landable surfaces have been upgraded graphically with each update, I'll post some shots in a sec. There are also tourist beacons you can scan for ingame lore, most are in the bubble but there are some scattered around the galaxy at important points.

bookmarked, when I get back from Jacques I'll be sure to dump all my exploration data with 8th Imperials.

it has been only 4 years and there is a ton of content, more modules comming in a few days with 2.6
no company would be able to do better than cloud imperium is doing right now, they would all have cut all the good and fun content to release a generic broken promise and pretend the project was a success

I figured those jump suits were more like the tiny suits in mech warrior lone wolf than a plane or regular infantry. That game doesn't have the same scale of combat though. There's never really more than 5 enemies at a time and you're always on your own.

FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK
I can't upload max size webms anymore. I hope this isn't permanent.

And he's done it through kickstarter, the madman.

We got to fucking get the 8th to be the dominating faction first before you dump exploration data.

I've been trying to do mission but the game keeps sending me fully engineered ships at me that wont fucking stop. I had a fucking python drop my Anaconda shields in seconds with 2 upgraded boosters while I managed to put a dent on him, I did managed to kill it thanks to SLF but I ended up with 40% hull left and the fucking bounty plus the extra mission reward arn't enough to cover the expensives. Oh and here's the kicker that same fucking NPC respawned the moment I entered supercruise after leaving a station for repairs.

Considering EvE only has like 35k players, all of wormhole space is pretty fucking crowded.

ED is a no-fun-allowed piece of shit, unlike your mega dubs.

spess

I dont know why I get up in the morning, maybe thq nordic will make those, right?

That reminded me of video related at 8:10

Doing God's work. God bless the Queen,

Also I can finally upload this

How long did it take you to reach colonia?

Still not there yet, with my crap 20 ly range it should take a total of 12 hours. I won't be back in the bubble till after jan since I'll be away from my comp so you'll have plenty of time to make 8th imperials the dominant faction.

Traveling in a beluga is suffering.

I like it, it's like flying a mix between a boeing and a cruise ship.
I've noticed the engines at the back are raised as well which means when we eventually get atmospheric landings you should be able to dump it in water and turn into a proper cruise liner ala Fhloston paradise.

I have no idea what I'm looking at, but I'm going to assume that big thing is a submarine. I'm not going to read your post because I don't want to hear if it's not a submarine. It looks like a badass submarine and would be gay as hell as anything else.

sorry to disappoint user, but it will probably work in water when we can land on planets with oceans.

It certainly doesn't look aerodynamic enough to fly in any atmosphere, so submarine is the only option left.

I have a beluga but the issue is I just can't have any good missions with it, I have a really hard time getting out of mailslots thanks to the butt and the payment for passengers isn't enough. Fdev needs to get rid of the passenger scanning and make it worth exploring outside the bubble.

It's the most aerodynamic shape out of all the ships in the game, the body could also act as a wing to a degree.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blended_wing_body

The only solution I've found to getting stuck in the mailslot is to git gud.

Nigga, it looks like a fucking whale, what the hell are you talking about? The starter ship looks more aerodynamic than that space whale.

There's an user or two that were able to make enough ISK to pay for the full subscription

I wouldn't know how to do that on an alpha clone when PLEX has reachend 1 billion+ ISK by now.

I was curious about this myself, Faction Warfare seems to be the best option (but it's still going to take you like 30 hours or something).

My friends, who I've since lost contact with, tried to get me to play 30 days of EVE a couple years ago; they had me go Caldari and I was training towards a tier 2 missile ship I think? But I gave up long before that

Anyway, the problem is EVE is still super fucking boring from a gameplay perspective. The only "fun" is real PvP and really the only "fun" comes from the risk that you might get killed and waste your time.

I've had plenty of "fun" exploring these days. Which often derives from the fact that W-Space is dangerous and might get you killed, naturally.

I would never have thought that EvE could be a "play for 2 hours" kind of game.

Daily check: Agitated if you're still alive get at me.

what the fuck do you want?

We thought you kilo'd yourself.

Shit that reminds me of this

As well as the points op mentioned, Banner Saga isn't a good game. Only shantae and grim dawn have any merit.

You can get like 50 million ISK per wormhole gas-mining haul every hour, and that's solo which requires a healthy amount of running away. Our corp is trying to organize a wormhole mining trip with defenses to allow some people to mine safely so who knows how much we'll be able to get.

Does anyone play any mods like Holla Forumslancer anymore? Or are all those dead and gone?
I really want to play another space game like freelancer but I can't seem to find one and ED frustrates me

Thanks user. Now that thunderbirds theme-song is stuck in my head again.

Good god that brings memories. That mod wont hold on by today's standards. But that massive BR ship was a great touch.

I haven't play freelancer in years, but I'm still in the original Holla Forumslancer group.

Fuck it all.

Freelancer is great but it's fucking impossible to play with a mouse.

Its not marionettes specifically, but check out Thunderbolt Fantasy some time if you have a thing for puppetry.

Why aren't you watching nu-Thunderbirds user?

is virgil still the ultimate lazy in nu-thunderbirds?

Looks like it. Can't really be arsed to actually watch the show though. Let me know how it goes if you manage it.

It's "OK". But surprisingly decent for a modern kids show.
There are some groaners (Jeff is missing, Brains is now Indian, the Hood has lost all his mystical-ness and is now a dangerous white man, and there's this fucker called "The Mechanic" who seems to pop-up now and again to steal tech).

The suspense is good, the machines look good, but the only puppetry is the environments (while vehicles and people are CGI- though designed to look like models and puppets).

I enjoy it. The tribute to the Fireflash episode is amazing. And it's the only time you'll hear the classic "PANIC" music in the new series.

Crowdfunding is getting consumers to take on the role of producer, and the full risk of investment, while the devs pocket all profits to themselves. Anyone who would do that to profit off their own fanbase, one so naive and trusting to think they were performing an act of charity and not being exploited for the dev's gain, is either scum or as dumb as his backers.

Idiots and scum don't make good games. In only the very best possible scenario, they shit out something no better than passable, see:

I've only played Freelancer and I want to go bigger, I want to be able to pilot fighters or command corvettes, frigates, battleships, etc.
Any good games that let me do that?

T-thanks.

Eve Online.

Endless Legend got an update that adds the United Empire again. They've a cool theme.

Killing commies in space

At the very least they still have the over the top launch sequences even with the 20min runtime. My only real complaint is that the episodes are so short compared to the original series which ran about 40mins each.

I had like 25mil in exploration data in my cargo hold when I ran into a gatecamp yesterday.

X3:ap or x3:tc

That's literally a single decent exploration site's worth of ISK. I lost 168 million a few weeks ago and I was relieved that I was "only" carrying that much.

Thanks, I'll probably stay away from eve for a while but I'll gif X3 a try.

So Star Citizen is totally going to be the best game ever made provided you give it more money yes?

paupers get out

I dunno, I haven't hit an exploration goldmine yet despite fucking around in W-Space all the time.

well that really fucking sucks. I decided to try EVE out and was having fun till I realized I couldn't even buy some basic mining drones without having a subscription. Fucking gay as hell

2.6 soon friend

Well if you are having fun, go and buy it, user!

Naw

I'm done with the Endless guys, go watch the prologue for that. Women everywhere except doing the icky shit like standing on the pile of skulls. You could argue that men are soldiers but aren't men also the operators of heavy machinery, the scientists and explorers?

Stop bieng a sexists, user.

How do you turn off the gui like that?

Bigass new SE update. Game is now moving into the beta phase officially.

Are you gonna call them marxist next?

Nah, gonna call you reddit, why are you here faggot? Trying to stop a second Trump term?

GG says sorry what we did to your Gawker ;^)

Nigga that's autistic as fuck.

mememagic

Only bots and retards mine.

ctrl-alt-g

Mining drones aren't really all that good to begin with.

You get get all the way to battlecruiser (thanks the Gnosis) on an alpha clone. Try running missions and/or PvP.

How the fuck do you manage Insane in Solaris without being some kind of hippy faggot

Despotic empire? Prepare to get war declared on you every single time with no hope to overpower anyone. Last I checked you survived in insane by not getting involved in wars for like 100 years while you have a chance to research relevant tech and the AI durdles and bats skulls with each other. Especially with advanced empires. Like, holy shit, everyone's guide is bullshit
"5core?" Nice, enjoy waiting years to research basic weapon upgrades
Research stack? Enjoy getting annexed
pacism? Enjoy getting raped by imperialists
militarism? Enjoy democrats declaring war on you because muh freedoms

Is there something I'm missing here?

Stellaris AI is not exist. Give up.

it doesn't need intelligent play to crush you with doomstacks
even trying 14-blockade is fucking obnoxious with wormholes

There is a disturbing lack of Freespace in this thread.

Really? Damn, EVE is addicting as hell, I can't stop playing it

We in the Space Engineers thread are currently looking for either:

A.) A currently active server that Holla Forums can perform a subtle takeover of a-la Wurm

B.) An user with great internet who'll host a server.

On a similar note, Astroneer is out on Early Access and seems fun. Even if it's low-poly indieshit, it looks promising.

Spaceships are not like actual ships, Submarines are only comparable to the experience of the crew, and even then only the "operate in tight cramped space with sweaty dudes alone and completely isolated" and "guess where they are and shoot in their general direction when you confirm a reliable hit can take place cause we can't actually see that hit with the naked eye" parts. Past that point it's not really comparable, like how if the light they're emitting is strong enough you can actually see them where they were moving two weeks ago with the naked eye 2.6 million light-years away but you'd need equipment to actually deduce what it is.
Anything you can't reliably detect completely is simply a matter of calculated guesses, even if you can hide under the right conditions getting to those conditions undetected so that they don't know you're hiding is another story entirely. And then there is the fact that actual effective engagement distances and distances where you can reliably hide when it would actually matter is very different. The distances that are considered to be short in space combat is in the tens of thousands of kilometers range and about 30,000km or less is "knife-fight" range.
A proper 10-megawatt X-Ray laser can melt any material within light minutes away, kill people with radiation light hours away, and vaporize anything within light seconds.
groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/rec.arts.sf.written/VbWsT2_a820

Remember, wormholes take longer the more ships you got in a fleet.

I don't know a lot about space games, and right now I really just want Euro Truck Simulator in space. So would ED be a good choice for that? I really have no idea what the general consensus of the game is, since opinions seem to be all over the fucking place.

If you want Euro Truck Simulator in space, that's basically what ED is

Although there's a lot of warping. Prepare to watch the warp animation and stars appearing a lot. It's not really like you're flying in fun ways. Just docking and undocking

IDK if you can get it super cheap maybe.

ED is in fact a Truck Simulator in space. I fucking enjoy it because of that, but yes lots of loading screens in the sense of using the FTL travel to warp into systems. Also, you do have a chance to get pirated by NPCs during your travels, you can either fight them, run, or give in to their demands and drop some cargo.

To make thing more ~fun~ the game has shit like Community Goals that involve Trading/bounty hunting/exploration and shit like that which you can play online in Open Play to actually have some fun or you can just do them in Solo mode. But Prepare for a lot of grinding, this game is marketed as an MMO after all. technically it's a single player MMO but one nonetheless and you will grind. If you enjoy that sort of thing then go for it.

The game makes a good screenshot simulator too.

yes, so a split of 2-3 2-3k ships going in each direction with about two rounds necessary for victory - too bad still too slow and you need to build more wormholes to get anywhere further into enemy territory.
moreover I had someone guaranteeing my independence this last game after relative success - except they sat there and did nothing after about one fight. They had 8k at one point in fleet and we had brought the dudes against us down to 4k.
There never seems to be an issue when the AI teams with the AI but when it was my fucking defender it did fucking absolutely nothing while these fuckers took all my planets one by one
and you don't recover from ceding planets ever

t. Civilization Beyond White player

pay to be pissed on and be triggered by people not doing the same for all I care.

What Freespace mods and campaigns you been playan?

What difficulty you runnin?

What input device you usin?

What ships you been flyin?

Who your Freespace shipfu?

Would you a Vasudan?

I dont have any friends, but i'll report in about the soloplay later on today once/if i get paid.

All the ones that came with the FSO Installer, minus two or three that wouldn't work for some reason. A collection of FS1 campaigns updated for FSO. Pretty much every campaign I can find that looks decent. I never actually played many of them back in the day.

Medium, mostly. I've been giving Hard a try on the official FS1 and FS2 campaigns, as well as others that I've played a lot, like Derelict.

Logitech Extreme 3D Pro. I have to replace it every few years, but it's still the most comfortable stick I've found.

All of them. With as many campaigns as I've played, it was inevitable that I'd fly all of them at least once.

Probably the Perseus and the Erinyes, though to be honest, I've never been a huge fan of Freespace's ship designs.

I don't even know what a female Vasudan looks like, or if we'd be even remotely compatible.

While we're on that subject, though, I don't think enough people notice that Vasudans appear to walk around completely naked when they're not in their flight suits.

The D always finds a way

Which one of you faggots is this? I mean there's only like 3 of us that plays right?

forgot to embed

I play it on occasion.

Reporting back. I can safely say that Astroneer is okay. I might even go so far as to say it's fun. It reminds me a lot of Grow Home both aesthetically and mechanically to some degree, and while you're not gonna be getting a space sim, it's a cool little early access survival game. Combat seems to be non-existent, but so far exploration is both rewarding and potentially dangerous due to there being no oxygen and also there being some plant motherfuckers that shoot gas at you.