Snow Level 2 Project Thread

It's that jingle jangle time of year, and with it I've been feeling that it's time for a follow-up to that once-upon-a-time project which brought us Snow Level, a collection of snow/ice/holiday/etc. themed video game music. With four years gone by, I figure there's a good chunk of tracks which could be added on and the collection could get a little bit more jolly.

I've been compiling a list of potential new tracks with which to bolster the original Snow Level album, so as to make a new version that has all the same tracks plus more. The list is quite long, and has some great stuff from games both old and new.

My problem is that I can't quite decide which disks all of the new songs fit into, so I was hoping that my fellow anons could help me out with classifying the tracks. I was going to work on this last week but instead ended up badly sick until yesterday, so now I'm playing catch-up to try and hit my original goal of a release by this upcoming weekend.

The main points of work are here:

1) set the correct theme for the new tracks

(that's the only critical one, the rest are optional)

2) make changes to the album cover
3) make changes to the album name
4) make some other change (suggestions?)

I was already planning to set up the track listings myself, but for the other points I'm more than glad to accept help from you good anons. Anything you can do to assist is greatly appreciated.

Thanks for reading, and I hope the cozy white stuff is falling outside a window near you.

Other urls found in this thread:

mediafire.com/?99o3904j0nf0cwc,y19dfko7cyw4da6,6h5y3tiqwgdjj2x,5xxch23wlpxqvwp,a9nujdktr9xfd3w,owcxj492j7mcuzf
youtube.com/watch?v=aMVPga2-n0E
youtube.com/watch?v=zuLqEgD3T-Y
a.uguu.se/gjcbRX3LvZIX.flac
youtu.be/HF1rqIWNQF8
youtube.com/watch?v=LegZFQDXC4M&feature=youtu.be
youtube.com/watch?v=11ln-E_vWj4&)
pastebin.com/id89TwJr
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Is "Remix" going to be it's own, fourth "disc"?

I hope this goes well, the original Snow Level is pretty great (listening to it now).

Thanks for the post. It was a separate disk in the original release, so for now it is. To be honest though, with how few tracks are in it, I'm starting to feel like it would be better to integrate it into the main three disks, especially because certain tracks on those disks are already remixes (ie. 'Night in the White' is a remix of Chill Penguin from the Rockman X Jazz arrangement album). I figured I would leave that up for discussion however. Thanks for the hope, I'll do what I can to make an edition worth downloading.

Please upload higher quality versions of the music this time. Some of the songs on the first compilation were pretty low bitrate.

1. Probably doesn't matter; i'd just as soon randomize and call it a day.
2. Random sprites and shit. Maybe parodies of other albums.
3. Ice puns. Pretty much everything Mr Freeze says in that Batman movie.
4. Embed related.

I'm working on that as well, thankfully the large cropping up of high-quality uploaders in the last few years has made it much easier to collect better versions of songs.

I'm also going to be tossing out the 'extended' versions of a few tracks which were on the original, just because they are rather out of place (only two of them on there) and it throws off the rest of the album.

I don't want to randomize just because it would throw off the vibe of the disks. Holiday Cheer is all about happy and jolly songs, it wouldn't go well with something like Dark Ice Mines from Star Fox Adventures or Surface 1 from Goldeneye. Likewise you wouldn't put Serious Sam's 'Jingle Bell Brawl' on the Ambiance disk. I feel the standard set by the first Snow Level is proper to follow in this case.

Embed is good, thanks for the addition.

friendly bump since I'd rather keep this one thread alive until project is finished

I'm working on a setup now to rip some better quality tracks on a few games. First on the list is Wario World, which perhaps unsurprisingly has a dearth of new, higher-quality rips.

pls keep up the good work, snowanon

Thank you user, I'll do my best

As another reminder, anyone who can help me to categorize the new songs on the list of new tracks will be especially helpful as I continue my work.

WHAT THE FUCK, SON
Seriously, what the fuck.

It's part of the original set actually, disk 3.

Jesus dick
Does the entire soundtrack sound that great? I want to play that so badly.

Where could I find the original? Jewgle is failing me

Might have a few tracks to suggest adding, but if you're wanting to make sure what you currently have is sorted out first, that's understandable.

Ah, sorry. I should have posted that earlier.

Here's the original link, taken all the way from its original 2012 thread.

mediafire.com/?99o3904j0nf0cwc,y19dfko7cyw4da6,6h5y3tiqwgdjj2x,5xxch23wlpxqvwp,a9nujdktr9xfd3w,owcxj492j7mcuzf
,3vao57r034x4imb

I think it's p good, the disks are each great for setting a mood. Shenmue is also just a kickass game. Probably the best game ever made about doing a bunch of really mundane things.

At worst, there's stuff left over for a future edition. I imagine 4-5 years down the road it may be possible to make another one of these expansions. Your contribution is always appreciated.

Cool, I'll see what I can find from games I like that's worth dropping here.

Not sure if this counts well enough, but might be worth a listen to decide. The frosty kingdom of Arctica is laid waste to during the prologue of the game, and this is the theme when you can finally explore the frozen ruins later on in the game, with rather strong monsters and demons having taken up residence within, having made the place devoid of any and all human life (certainly doesn't help that the Photosphere is parked nearby).

Bit hard to actually find snowy sounding music in a series that's heavier on the western angle than most, and for the few main games that do have actually snowy areas, there isn't really a change to winter sounding music. About the only other case being TF Tower: S in Wild Arms 5, and I'm not sure if that counts either, as the music doesn't exactly sound wintery. Really wish that snowy mountain pass in WA4 had its own theme rather than just borrowing Over the Wind like most "world" style dungeons do (though it's admittedly a comfy song); just strikes me that wandering across the ruined landscape, seeing blown out houses, abandoned tanks, and the aurora overhead really needed its own comfy wintery theme.

I suggest this track from Glover.

youtube.com/watch?v=aMVPga2-n0E

Gonna keep working, thanks for continued posts.

Here's a little cozy video for you to enjoy, if anybody has something like this as a desktop or screensaver then that would be cool as well.

youtube.com/watch?v=zuLqEgD3T-Y

Not sure you'll be able to find a really high quality rip of the OST for this game (both between it being made for the DS' soundchip and not being a very well known game at all), and I'm not sure if any of the tracks (aside from the opening theme, "Deep Forest") have actual names. This is just listed as "Track 13" on youtube, though you might consider listing it as "Track 13 - Tornaq Ice Cavern" if you can't find a more specific name.

A minor thought: if you were to include a text file with the eventual finalized albums, maybe consider adding the names of the composers alongside the game and track names as well?

Thank you all for your contributions.

I do plan to add a track list to the download which will include details on each track, and will do my best to also credit both the original creators of the song and the source from which I obtained the tracks for this album.

Progress is up for the night, I did okay for a short night and plan to do much better tomorrow. Thanks again for all of your posts. I'll continue tomorrow night working hard on a wintry wonderland worth sharing.

One that just occurred to me as one I've always liked.

Also the Prox theme. Not exactly a happy song for a snowy town, but given that the land it's on is at the brink of falling into the ever expanding void, it makes sense.

I'll make a better quality rip of that song if you need it.

Would be nice. Also see if there's actual titles for songs in the OST if possible; the album on youtube just lists them all as "Track [X]" as if they don't have actual names, and while something like KH Insider might be more a place to find such things, they don't even have the soundtrack for the game (despite having soundtracks for a fuckton of non Kingdom Hearts related stuff).

Fuck, thought I'd embedded that one.

a.uguu.se/gjcbRX3LvZIX.flac

Also, if it's possible, is there any way you could rip the game's opening (both audio and video) in decent quality too? Pretty much all the videos I've seen uploaded are rather low res; while I assume that's just how it is in the game itself too to make do with the DS' screen quality, the fact that you can now use emulation to ignore the screen's limitations for games and see how good the actual modeling done beneath it was, it makes me wonder if it's possible or not to do for animated FMVs in addition to just character models, and see them in much higher quality as well.

The opening for which game?

Hm

Sorry, Avalon Code, the game that song you ripped earlier was from. The opening's really pretty and while I suppose the quality fits what the DS screen could output, I have to wonder if there's a higher quality opening FMV buried somewhere under there, or if it's the same quality FMV all the way down. I mean, if there's well done low poly 3D modeling being obscured by poor screen quality (like the image on the right of Tales of Innocence), maybe there's a higher quality opening for Avalon Code in the game's data than what the screen is able to display?

I'll post what I can think of. To start, Winter Tundra theme from Spyro 2- Ripto's Rage

I wish this track was longer. Zopheir Blade Drifts was a pretty neat looking area.

Might save some time to look through the lists in the OP as to what's already on there. Just saying.

Bit of an odd battle theme, but definitely wintery due to being used in not-Russia.

fugg
I did read though, I just somehow missed that one

fuck off tripfag

bump

You are retarded.

I used the DeSmuME build that lets you render the game in 4x the normal resolution, but it looks like that opening FMV has only been rendered for the original DS resolution.

I love this idea, how about this one?

or this?

That's a shame, I'd love to have seen what it looked like prior to being formatted for the DS' output. Wonder if maybe XSEED has access to that, having been the western publisher due to it being codeveloped by Marvelous Japan and Matrix Software. Thanks for trying though.

Hello all once again. Sorry for the quiet treatment, I've been pretty busy with grabbing tracks. I appreciate all of the contributions! It means a lot that you're helping to keep this project alive.

We're up to 40 new tracks converted, I plan to hit the final new trackload by Thursday night and start the editing long haul on Friday. With any luck the release will be right on schedule for this weekend.

I haven't had a lot of time to consider the newly posted tracks, but feel free to keep posting and I will look at them once I'm through to the end of the new tracks list that I've prepared so far.

got a link?

Listening to the original Snow Level now. Good fukken work user, feels cozy.

Alright, big progress today! I found some old notes I had on remixes, so the tracklist for disk 4 is now going to more than double the original. On top of that, I'm now at more than 80 tracks acquired, and have begun gathering composer info as well. I should be well on track to getting the last of the tracks by tomorrow night, and ready to enter the editing zone on Friday.

While I'm at it, I'm going to ask a favor. Anybody who wants to, please suggest what theme these tracks would best fit into. I can't really get a good feel for them based on the existing disk track lists. Thanks all, and keep on feeling that christmas spirit!

youtu.be/HF1rqIWNQF8

youtube.com/watch?v=LegZFQDXC4M&feature=youtu.be

Do you have a list of all the themes?

Yes

1. Holiday Cheer (Disk 1)

Stuff that makes you feel that magic of Christmas, essentially happy and cheery tunes

2. Arctic Action (Disk 2)

A sort of hodge-podge, including dark and moody, fast-paced, generally anything that's snow level music but doesn't fit thematically in disk 1 or in disk 3

3. Ambiance (Disk 3)

Tunes that transport you to a chilly landscape, mostly slow, quiet, peaceful tracks.

The OP has tracklists for the current album, so you can see which kinds of songs go into each theme.

My trouble is trying to pinpoint the right feeling that the songs I posted convey, and where they fit among those three themes. Any help I can get on that will be greatly appreciated.

I've listened to each of your categories to get a feel for them. I think that To a Sea of Dancing Snow and The Immortal Country both fit in the Ambiance theme. I leaned toward Holiday Cheer for the latter, but it didn't convey the same happy mood as your other Holiday Cheer songs.

I wish it was cool where I am, this is my christmas theme song

Arctic Action here we go

Would dancing christmas in the 13th month/niflheim field's theme from Ragnarok online be an acceptable contribution?
Would you update Okami - Kamui of the Northern Land I with this full version?

Arctic action, yeah. This one might need to have its volume mixed down though.

I'm not sure if I'm still in time for song contributions, but one track I added to my local Disc 1 a while ago is Snowball Park from Super Mario 3D world. It is really similar to Super Mario 3D Land - Snow Overworld that is already on the original disc 1 but I think Snowball Park captures the holiday spirit way better.

Hope my embed works as I'm currently a shitty phoneposter. Keep up the great work user, I'm looking forward to checking out your results.

You are doing god's work, user.

THIS is what my life has been missing.

Ambiance dead game

Holiday Cheer.

No Crashsite from Perfect dark? Also imbed related for remixes. Both these for disc 2. Also, what about Walrus Cove from DKR?

How about this?

Wow, a lot of good posts tonight. I'm almost up with my current 'to be added' list, and will be checking out the tracks posted next.

I'm not seeing an embed, perhaps you could repost?

Had no idea it wasn't complete, I'll take care of it

This version is going in as an update to the 3D Land version.

Glad you like it, I'll keep working hard to get it done soon!

I feel you, hope this album can help you transport you to a cooler place.

Thanks for your vote. That might be where they end up, though I'll say that I wish I could find a more fitting category for tracks that aren't really ambient but are still subdued, without just using Action as a catch-all. If I could find a clean enough break then I'd do a fourth main disk, call it Somber Snow or something.

It's funny, Disk 2 was by far the shortest of the three main disks in the first edition, but now it's looking to be the largest. I'd actually like to find some more Holiday songs if I can, there doesn't seem to be nearly as many new ones as I expected for this edition.

As always, thanks for all the posts. Your support keeps me going through this project.

How about now?

That's better!

Does anybody know who composes the Wii U eShop music? I've got this song (youtube.com/watch?v=11ln-E_vWj4&) and no idea who composed it.

Got any room for another? It plays during the beginning of the sixth stage, which is a castle in a snowy wasteland.

Alright all, it's been a long week so I'm gonna call it in early today. The good news is that all of the tracks that I've set aside to be added are acquired and I've already got a head start on the editing process. I've got a big pile of snow to shovel in front of me, so I'll be resting up tonight to save my strength. Hope you all have a cozy snowfall in your weekend!

where at

I think you can find the original here:
pastebin.com/id89TwJr

If you're still taking suggestions, this one is really good.

Also, you have lots of FF10 songs but nothing from FF13… this could fit into Holiday Cheer.

Oh shit, there's the link, it took me long enough to find it.

It was an actual game and not a visual novel

Another bump from the edge, sorry for lack of response lately. Still working on edits. It's a long and time-consuming process but I'm going to do what it takes to get it done by tomorrow night. Hope you're enjoying your weekend, maybe even some snow fall with it.

I appreciate your effort on this project. I'm a big fan of sparkly icy snow music, so I'm really looking forward to this compilation.

thanks for your continued effort, looking forward to the end result

A little update on progress. I suffered a minor setback in that for some reason (probably a goof on my part) I found most of my acquired tracks for editing gone when I started work today. Fortunately I've rebuilt almost all of the list now, and I'm about 25% done with edits thus far. I've also been tracking down higher quality rips as possible, and trying to extend those which are too short or have abrupt endings. I admit that I am not the best editor though, so some tracks may end up omitted simply due to not sounding good enough to be included. Fortunately this has been a very rare occurrence thus far.

The work folder currently contains 88 new songs for the album, over 50 of which are already finished too! Snow's falling outside, I've got some hot coffee to sooth me through the afternoon, and I'm feeling good about finishing tonight, as long as I keep pushing forward. Wish me luck anons, and hope there's snow where you are now.

As a Dutchfag I rarely see comfy snow, but the previous snow levels album sure helped me feel comfy during the holidays. Good to hear you're still working on the project, godspeed, user.

Where can I find the first snow level album?

right here

apologies for not putting it in the OP

I wasn't able to finish everything by last night, I simply ran out of stamina. I'll keep working to finish as soon as possible however. I'm mostly done with track edits, after that will come disk arrangement, tagging, and test plays today at work to make sure it all fits together well. Thanks all for your patience.

Keep up the good work, user. Can't wait for it to be done

Was this added? Fits the collection like a glove

Add some faggy Runescape music if can; I only see one up there.

Jesus, feels like it was made last year

Does that mean that R.O.B. threads are from 2012 too?

Hold me

Did you die in an avalanche OP?

not yet, I'm alternating going through revisions to the current body of tracks while also giving the suggestions from this thread a listen. Aside from suggestions made in this thread, I'm more or less finished with new additions.

I've decided that the next 24 hours will be the last window for new track suggestions. If you have not suggested a track to be added yet, then please do so within 24 hours of this post. I will not consider any more tracks after that point.

Given that statement, I expect a final release within two days of now. Sorry to be slow, I'll do my best to make it worth the weight.

Got a few more I forgot about.

Doesn't even quite feel like it's been a decade since I started lurking imageboards. The posting style and what was acceptable to post has certainly changed since then too.

Say what one will about the post Insomniac-Spyro games, but Hero's Tail had a pretty enjoyable soundtrack despite not being done by Copeland. The third hub world and it's two connecting areas are all winter themed, so you get a decent trio of themes that might be fitting.

Quite nice, thank you.

You beat me by at least 2 years, a Doom thread from Winter 2008 is probably my earliest memory of imageboard browsing.

However, it's not about me but about the snow levels, so I'll get back to business. Cleaning up entries in disk 1 while listening to disk 2, got a good flurry mix going on between the two disks. I expect disk 3 to take the longest however; It has by far the longest running tracks, and a lot of them at that.

I remembered seeing Santa on the back of the cover art for this, when I was paring a bunch of cover scans down to just front covers for something. Not sure if it's shocking or not that he gets three wintery songs relating to him on the OST, all of which admittedly short (if you opt to use them, maybe find a way to custom loop).

Dual Hearts came out the same day as majora's mask. It's a shame that it never became popular because of this. It's a really good game.

Yeah, I don't think so. Checking release dates on Wikipedia, Dual Hearts came west nearly two years after Majora's Mask. I mostly knew that it came out the same week as the similarly named Kingdom Hearts, which was of course much more highly anticipated and from a big, better known at the time developer. I don't think Dual Hearts had much of a chance thanks to Atlus opting for that release frame (similarly, Shadow Hearts did very poorly in sales in the west as it came out the same week at FFX, which was what more people were putting their money towards; not really sure why anyone would think it wise to launch their JRPG on the same week as something Square was releasing, provided they actually wanted to recuperate the cost/make a profit on it).

Sinnoh may have been a slow as fuck region, especially walking in the snow, but damn it had some good music.

At least Platinum addressed some of the issues that made Diamond and Pearl feel slow.

Oh my mistake. I got them mixed up for whatever reason. Either way it seems to be a recurring theme for a lot of these kinds of games.

Yeah. Really though, if you want your game to be successful and you're not a huge, well known publisher, why release a game in the same timeframe as a similar game Square was? You are not (or at least, were not; not real sure if they're the same western sales juggernaut these days) going to win that fight. I do have to question though, is it other publishers being fucking stupid and releasing to close to square, or Square looking for potential competition and then releasing close enough to kill a potential rival's sales?

tried booting up the torrent, 0 seeders but it says there should be a disc 4, which isnt in the mediafire links.

might upload what i have to my seedbox and start seeding what i have

You can find mediafire links for all 4 CDs here.

Best ice level music comin' thru

Alright everybody, I've listened through almost all of the music sorted within its groups. Had a wonderful time today walking through the snow and listening to the ambient tracks. I've a rather small pile of tracks left to update or add, with any luck I'll meet the goal of release tomorrow night.

Replacing old tracks now, a few updates here and there with higher quality rips. Also grabbing new tracks from this thread. I can't guarantee that everything will make it, but it's a strong lot of suggestions so most of your suggestions should appear.

The last call for new music suggestions has now closed, thanks to all who suggested tracks! I'll be working through the last of it all tonight and tomorrow. When the album is finally finished and ready to be released, I'll be closing this thread and opening a new Release thread, just to make it easier to find and download than if it was buried under 100 posts of snow. I want to thank everyone who participated and ask that you continue waiting patiently, and I'll keep doing my best to get a good collection out there for you.