Star Citizen - what happened?

I was looking for a decent flight sim and stumbled upon this game, and I'd just like to ask what the hell happened? They got 137MM dollaridoos and the game is still far from being completed.

Do you still have any hope for this game to be released or will it be the next >33M?

Heh

1. It's a scam that got out of control
2. No

So are you not expecting any launch or that it will just be absolute trash?

bump, does no one expect anything from this game anymore?

it will release like FFXV, pretty, but painfully dull and empty

no, that's why we're the only two people here, and you're a paid shill

oooh a bait thread in the making, very exciting!

No I'm heading to flight school and was interested in a decent flight sim. This game was brought up in a review for a flight stick I was reading and as I completely forgot about this game I looked to see what was going on with development.

I was heartened by the 137m donations but I could easily see this being the most famous vaporware ever. That said apparently there are a few components of the game released and was wondering what Holla Forums thought about something other than obscure nip dating sims.

The same we think about every game son, it's shit

The devs are promising their supporters a world-changing game that includes everything from space flight to first person shooting. No matter how much money they made, they don't have the skill or manpower to do everything they promised.

of course not
the game is in a state where it can't succeed
It was supposed to release years ago, all it is right now is a way for roberts to make absurd amounts of money selling jpegs of ships to retards

The FPS part seemed really gimmicky, that's for sure. If 90% of the dev on the ship aspect of it then I can be happy. I played a fairly low budget flight sim that had great flight and space mining so it's not impossible.

you're better off going back and playing the older stuff right now
Hit up the space thread and get some recommendations

Well I wanted XPlane for professional stuff but I wanted a decent recommendation of something more current. Someone mentioned a game called Elite something

The game is very much the definition of feature creep. Pretty much what said.
If it released Squadron 42 first and then built up from that it would succeed. Now? Too many fingers in too many pies as it were, trying to do everything at once and going nowhere.

All they had to do was make a good single player space combat sim with modern graphics and everyone would have been happy. Instead they want to make a persistent universe/mmo space sim/FPS/etc amalgamation. I remember the Smart nigger saying it was technically impossible to implement everything that SC has promised, I personally have no idea. I would put money on SC failing to deliver on everything they've sold people on, though.

Or its all just one giant scam to take the money from idiots in exchange for pretty jpgs.

Have you been living under a rock for the last few years? If so, can I move in with you under that rock?

Star Citizen is what happens when you get too much money. What Roberts should have done was make a modern Wing Commander like game: just dogfighting in space with a bombastic storyline. That alone would have blown people away these days when there is no real competition.

Instead he got a fuckton of money and started shoving everything into the game, resulting in massive feature creep. The same happened with Broken Age (Double Fine Adventure) where they got so much money that spending got out of control and they ran out of money during production, even though they got eight times what they had originally asked for.

This is like watching the development of Duke Nukem Forever, except this time we get to see it from the publisher's perspective. DNF had the same problem that the devs just didn't know when to draw the line and finish the damn thing.

The amount of money they received blew their original projections out of the water, so they tried to scale up the features until it became literally the most ambitious piece of software ever.

No one has any idea when it will come out or whether or not it will be a piece of trash, anyone telling you otherwise is shilling.

I wouldn't trust that guy's opinions. He has never released a single piece of fun, functioning software in his entire life, so I would be surprised if he has any idea of what he's talking about.

wannabe dev here, i think it's possible to implement everything they have promised, but that it won't be fun to do.

It's going to be a cancerous MMO. With a terrible community.

Time to dig up Starlancer again.

Sweet jesus, that first image looks like written by some kind of deranged doomsday cultist.

I usually call bullshit on the "X fans on suicide watch" but i think it will apply to this guys once the project flops.

Nothing value would be lost.

Reminder that there are people who spent all of their life savings on this game.

NO REFUNDS

if not money, then valuable time devoted to a paper dream :^)

How did so many people fall for this scam?

Roberts wants maximum shekels so when he's asked "will there be load the wings during atmospheric flight" he says yes and then the engine has to be redesigned because that wasn't within the original scope. This has happen at least 3 times so far.

It will because he is legally obligated to release a "minimal viable product" to stay out of court, it will have a heap of half finished shit but be safe from legal action.

On one hand, it's real fucking depressing people would put this amount of money into one game. They're really fucking everyone over by being this retarded in the long run.

On the other, you gotta give him credit, his scam has gone above and beyond his expectations most likely. If you could milk retards this easily, you'd do it.

livestream of some gay shit i dnt fkn no

What I find funny is if some of these retards contacted CIG directly during the original kickstarter they could actually have a stake on the company for that kind of money but instead they have pixel ships.

BRING CLEANSING FIRE'S RIGHTEOUS BREATH!

It will be released. As a minimum viable product. And even if RSI crashes and burns Roberts and his friends have already made out like bandits because they paid themselves giantic salaries.

Also somebody post the tickle torture stuff Roberts waifu did.

They're going to release the game one way or another, but it's probably not going to live up to expectations given that they promised literally everything and now they're even going beyond their promises in some aspects. They have many good ideas and enough money to implement them, but that's very much a best case scenario, they're wasting a lot of time and money on fixing what are often small pet peeves.

Well, they do havce a convention for an unfinished game, where their messiah can show them some new jpegs to buy.
You just need to "donate" 50$ to be allowed to see him.

>Sucker delusional Clintonites into funding attacks on their own electoral corruption that cost Bernie the primaries
>Use the rest for your future downballot challenges against their candidates

them: let's make fun of this game we bought
me: derp

Released, maybe(as "released" as a game that people can already play can possibly get, anyway), but I have no hope that it'll ever actually be finished
The game isn't just a scam, the devs are legitimately fucking insane people that will never be able to do what they want to do, and both their autism and the equally insane fanbase will ensure they won't compromise on any of it, even though there's a 50/50 chance the fanbase will either go against any deviation or suck up whatever shit they're given