Games with XCOM-style gameplay

XCOM style combat is a lot of fun, but I don't see many games using it. I'm talking

I can only think of a few off the top of my head
>XCOM series obviously

And to a lesser degree

Are there any other good games like this?

Other urls found in this thread:

mega.nz/#!z1AEVDqa!-uZOZnXmji3ZJcFjWerEYCvMYbewqfJ8DK4BJJ0YqVU
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Wastelands 2

JAGGED ALLIANCE 2

Invisible Inc

These are exactly the sort of thing I'm looking for, thanks anons.

The new Shadowrun games have XCOM-like combat

7.62 Hard Life.

Fallout Tactics.

Breach & Clear

(heiled)

I wished XCOM did it where it was time based turns like in vid related

Also fuck youtube. Keeps giving the same results no matter what the fuck wording I FUCKING CHANGE WHAT IS THIS BULLSHIT!! HOW THE FUCK DO YOU MAKE A SITE THIS SHIT! YOU CANT EVEN LOOK AT YOUR FUCKING COMMENT HISTORY AND THE SIDE BAR IS ALWAYS FILLED WITH VIDEOS YOU JUST WATCHED 1 HOUR AGO .

Underrail and 7.62 high calibre to some degree. Natural Doctrine gave me similar feels in a very Japanese way.

Is there any other tactics games with a sound detection system like in JA2?

So what you're asking for are turn-based tactics games dumbed down for consoles, except that you've posted at least one game that very specifically wasn't dumbed down for consoles. I suppose Jagged Alliance is very specifically not dumbed down enough, despite that? X-COM is right out, obviously, but how about the UFO: Afterblank series, at least? Or UFO: Alien Invasion?

Tom Clancy Ghost Recon Shadow Wars on 3DS meets all your criteria, and is pretty good to boot. It even has a story mode where your characters level up a bit and you give them different abilities to customise them to fit your playstyle. It also has a shit-ton of challenge missions as well. And multiplayer, though I think it's only local or hand-swapping the console between friends. And the redheaded stealth chick is absolutely OP and crazy awesome.

What fanpatches and mods do you need for that game?

Fuck xcom style combat

Give me Jagged Alliance or 7.62 Hard Life style combat

Its all you need

When you get bored in Arulco you can also try 1.13 Urban Chaos and 1.13 Renegade Republic

i FUCKING LOVED THAT GAME.

Maybe Battle for Wesnoth?

turnbased combat seems to be barebones as hell - i dont think this is really what OP is looking for. i only had a very brief experience with returns though, so maybe this was fixed in the later games?

fun game - but you usually dont play it for the combat. still worth to be recommended.

It's definitely comparable to XCOM once you settle on a team and get a character rolling

There's that shitty steamworld game that's sidescrolling X-Com with a non-sexy robot lady.

Battle Brothers, though replace 'use of cover' with 'height advantage' and 'penalty to ranged hit chance from blocked line of sight', although I guess the latter is basically the same thing albiet more primitive.

Weapons have their own abilities and are essentially classes, especially since offense, defense, and utility skill trees were combined into one all-encompassing tree.

Tried shilling it some time ago with a download link, but I acted like a retard and killed my own thread.

Don't ever recommend anyone 1.13 on their first fucking playthrough. JA2 Stracciatella is all you need.

I love BB. One of the few early access games where the devs seem to have a clue what they're supposed to be doing.

It's basically turn based Mount&Blade.

I wouldn't put Conquistador on that list at all. The battle maps are small as hell and incomparable to Xeno or Xcom missions.

Somehow I get Vandal Hearts vibes from that.

Dead State. Basically XCOM gameplay in a zombie apocalypse scenario. It does get a bit repetitive after a while, though anything like XCOM tends to as well.

Honorable mention for UFO afterlight and its sequels and prequels. Not turn based, but basically XCOM in real time with pause order issuing.

Man that game was buggy as hell when I last tried it.

Since you mentioned Conquistadors i'd say Blackguards.

Not that much use for cover but it has hexes, turns and your typical archer+mage+warrior archetypes for classes.
Unfortunately atleast the first game starts getting pretty stale on the combat department midway because it's just the same shit over and over again even if the battle areas itself are pretty well done and the characters you travel with are great with… okay plot to go with.

2nd game seems to have more… fluid? gameplay and slightly better story with the same characters (minus protag) than the 1st game has.

Give the 1st one a try, if you dont like it you wont like 2 either.

The entire FAQ is basically "Fuck off, we've already got our hands full finishing the base game."

Yes I played it at release, was pretty buggy. They did a "director's cut" re-release (IE: a bug patch) a while back, haven't tried it though.

How can you guys forget valkyria chronicles

You can get it for like 6 bucks from a cd key site.
30+ gametime easy

Also chaos gate. 40k xcom esque

Fringe example:

Atlas Reactor, which is a 4v4 pvp/pve that uses nuXCOM's cover and targeting system, has you control one unit, is turn-based but all turns are timed, and all actions happen simultaneously but in order of what phase what action was supposed to occur in.

It's some weird shit but it reminds me of hidden movement board games in that you're trying to predict what other players will do and then end up looking like a fucking moron.

Valkyria Chronicles has all of that except for the tile/hex grid. Free movement instead.

Enjoy fighting anime World War II with a ragtag squad of individuals including child soldiers, a sexy sniper, a pacifist, a bloodthirsty/vengeful florist, and old people carrying heavy anti-tank weaponry bigger than them.

Its kinda meh though, and gay as fuck.
Saying that I still need to beat it.

satellite reign is all that minus turn-based

Horrible gameplay, difficulty and plot
Setting alone is not what makes a game unlike what autists on Holla Forums think

Mordheim

Was going to suggest expeditions conquistador but I see you alread mention it in the OP

nice taste user

Try X-Com the original not that gay ass numale pile of shit of a reboot.

Reroll a new team brah.

Whoa wait hang on, surely there's a pasta for this.

come on

I wish there was an actual single player wakfu tactics game instead of shit korean grindfest tier mmo's.

so essentially this game simulates what its like to play under extreme lag?

So f2p Frozen Synapse/Tastee?

Isn't that what Krosmaster Arena is supposed to be? Or is the gameplay entirely different?

A bit, with more weight put on individual characters and their abilities. Game gets played to 5 deaths on either side or 20 turns total, and if you're killed you still do whatever action you were going to do before you died, making suicidal charges possible, and then you respawn around the edge of the map a turn or so later.

Why the fuck aren't more JRPGs at least grid based like Final Fantasy Tactics or its apparently superior Tactics Ogre?

Well there's Disgaea, NIS's other Disgaea-esque games like Soul Nomad and Phantom Brave and Zettai Hero Project, Record of Agarest War, and probably a few other series I'm forgetting. It does sorta seem like there haven't been as many of that type lately but if you charted it out they're probably still releasing at around the same frequency.

You mean turn based tactical, you fucking plebeian.

Newest versions of 1.13 have retarded defaults. You get 80+ man invasions after every single city not just Drassen. It also spawns incredible amounts of patrols.

I did that, just finished today actually, and I think you're 100% right. But from what I've seen most people never finish JA 2 anyway and definitely not 1.13.

Shit I just torrented one the other day and it was 1.13. Still worth playing it or do I need to go look for another version to get?

Just change the default.

Depends on the version. The 4870 version didn't have that feature only the later versions. And you can change the setting AGGRESSIVE_STRATEGIC_AI.

Since I just finished here's a few tips for 1.13.
Difficulty comes from gun range and overwhelming numbers. You can even this out by fighting at night, around buildings (hint: rooftops, ambush inside doorways) and buying better weapons/gear than the enemy has.
There is an issue where seemingly super high chances to hit will sometimes miss, I found aiming more even with a very high chance to hit made it less likely to happen.
Make your character have high leadership. There's few mercs with good leadership and you need high leadership in 1.13 to train militia.
Don't make your character into a sniper because half the roster are snipers. You can also avoid explosives and mechanical because they are common on cheap mercs.
Ctrl+Shift+F picks up all backpacks, Shift+B drops them, Shift+N switches all to NV goggles/sun glasses.
Always crouch.
Remember you can toggle Force Turn mode on/off, you'll need to play to understand why you want to do this but I ended up constantly toggling it once I figured it out.
Also once you get scopes you need to ready your weapons twice to take advantage of them and this gets reset every time you move/reload.

But while standing, you can have the gun sighted up while moving. It's good for CQB. Combine that with alt-clicking (?) to strafe and I think you've got the best way to take a corner indoors.

Wait, really? I've played the game probably 3 times through and I never knew that.

Banner Saga

I always found myself getting interrupted more when I was standing. But I'll defintely try out the side-step tactic in Urban Chaos.
I meant ready your weapons I have no idea why I wrote twice.

Is it still buggy as hell and money gain retarded?

I really liked Silent Storm (take Sentinel too).
Hard West had a nice idea saying that the more you shoot someone the more likely you are to hit.

Strongly disliked Blackguards. The fights just weren't fun. Felt like Expedition Conquistador, which I also strongly disliked.

Frozen Synapse had enemies spawning out of thin air. There's one golden rule every tactical game should adhere to: NEVER SPAWN ENEMIES OUT OF THIN AIR.

Worst combat out of any tactical game. You're rewarded for not killing any enemies and severely punished for divide and conquer. Also the gameplay is complete shit: you get to make choices with no indication of what the outcome is and if you pick the bad choice (which again, you have no idea of knowing if it's bad in advance) you lose units/resources. Also no save scumming.

Anyways for the OP: you can always try Final Fantasy Tactics (not FFTA or FFTA-2, those are garbage) and the 1.13 patch mega.nz/#!z1AEVDqa!-uZOZnXmji3ZJcFjWerEYCvMYbewqfJ8DK4BJJ0YqVU or you can try Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together (PSP version). Both are fantastic turn based tactical games, although cover is a bit less important than for shooter type tactical games.

Ayyy it's actually good.
Also, are you the fag that keeps posting on drawthreads about the chick in blue?

BS is shit. Fundamentally broken combat with no variety (there's like 5 enemy types in the whole game), meaningless management aspect (you can camp for 200 years in one place and have everyone die of hunger, game won't even acknowledge it). Cool graphics though.

Two or three weeks ago, I requested James Rolfe to be drawn as Angry Video Game Bird. But before that I hadn't visited a draw thread in months.

But now I'm intrigued…

No. I have yet to see any real bugs.

I remember when the side bar would have videos actually RELATED to the fucking video you were watching.

Big guys are still retarded and get stuck on shit but other than that it runs smooth.

It's mobile phone tier trash. The wakfu/dofus mmo have perfectly fine gameplay except it's ruined by no story, grind, and shit 'balance'.

Shit game, heavily punished for being TACTICAL and taking your time. Rewards are soley based on finishing the mission in as few moves as possible, making tanks, strategy, guarding, snipers, spotters, items essentially useless. The most valuable class is the scout and upgrades so you can ignore 90% of the units and win via flags, because thats the only way you can even upgrade your troops. Focused on repeating missions for obscure rewards in an "achievement" system. Classic example of anime ruining a genre.

I would kill for a Berserk troop tactics game with the artstyle though.

Why?

Tell me more