Why is ASSFAGGOTS popular?

With Overwatch being (((GOTY))) I have to ask this. I've never been and will be interested in these kinds of games but I'm always baffled why of out of all the genres, this gets the most amount of people playing. It's just a watered down RTS for Christ's sake. I suck at RTS games so that's another reason why I'll never touch LoL or Dota. Can someone explain to me why this is the norm in the general gaming community?

Other urls found in this thread:

learntocounter.com/why-dota-sucks-13/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Young men with no mannerbunde/team sports desperate for masculine social interaction.

Aren't shooters supposed to do a better job than that than a more complicated genre like ASSFAGGOTS?

It's fun. The game is simple but has a lot of variety and many little intricacies that take a while to learn and master. By the time you're done with that you've already spent over 1000 hours in the game and you're not even good yet.

It's the same impulse, assfaggots are just better skinner boxes.

how come assfaggots shooters do so well but actually good arena shooters do poorly?

No fucking idea, i never understood what the fuck is actually happening on screen in any ASSFAGGOTS game at all, the only thing i see it's just flashing lights and lot of small NPCs beating the crap out of each other.

I had this friend that was this weird mix between a chad and a weeb, he was full on dudebro science and it was pretty fit, really competitive fella. Maybe this kinds of game aims for that audience, maybe it's the whole fucking E-sport crap that creates this mindset of "i want be good at this so i can get money from this" or maybe people pretend to like it because is popular while their whine about how horrible their teams is/cry about balance issues/etc.

Shooters don't enforce teamwork the way assfaggots do. In a game of dota, the team with the better teamwork will win over a team of better individual players who squabble among each other. In an FPS it's mostly individual skill. This is why ASSFAGGOTS win in the "what should me and my friends play together" area over FPS.

Are there any?
Because they are flooded with veterans who simply squash new players and demand the most retarded skillset of memorizing things to a point of autism if you want to be competitive. They also require cat-like reaction times and an assortment of other abilities that most people simply can't be asses to train. And that's the thing, in arena shooters you actually have to train and practice, in assfaggots you just play the game. And again there is no teamwork to speak of in arena shooters, it's all based on personal preformance, putting strain on the player every time he loses making each loss painfully humiliating, in assfaggots you can just blame your team for being retards and brush it of.

SJWatch is the newest one

Overwatch mostly borrows from tf2 and not so much from assfaggots.

Because it's simple, easy, repetitive, and usually free.

It's the pure definition of a shitty casual game.

ASSFAGGOTS are highly competitive. Humans love struggle. Even the weakest of humans.
+free
+usually easy to get into
+full of people

The term you are looking for is CRAPCUNTS.

This is bait.

Things like Overmeme have very low skill ceilings. So you can have severe brain damage, have lost an arm and a few fingers, but you'll still be able to be helpful to your team or an annoyance to the enemies and get points/kills/whatever just as much as somebody who actually would have some degree of skill.
Then, mostly exclusive to Overshite, there was more money put in marketing it than in actually making it a good game and it shows.

Not necessarily 'very low' but it's definitely not the highest.

They are. They take the hero units and give you one of them to use. The bases are prebuilt and shared between the team, and it periodically produces units for your team and tells them how to attack. It's just a RTS streamlined to maximum laziness and lack of effort for mass casual appeal. The first ones were even mods for RTS's.

A SHMUP is a watered down FPS

Assfaggots aren't simple or easy. Look up in the thread where some idiot just goes "i have no idea wut's goin on!!!! It's a bad game cause i'm too stupid to understand it!!!!". In truth most of Holla Forums is too casual for assfaggots, so they pretend to be too hardfore for it. As for the people saying
I would say, you're probably shit at regular RTS. After all, hardly anyone plays RTS games anymore.

These threads are usually filled with the same whiny arguments on the level of "it's shit because i say so!", and the people arguing against assfaggots are usually the biggest casuals.

-Easy to get into, hard to master.
-Even if you suck there's someone to blame so you keep playing.

I love the muh wastered up RTS argument coming from retards who have never competently played an RTS too.

Stillborn, mainly.

A few of reasons:

If you want an arena shooter the classics are still the best.

Most of the people that want to play arena shooters played the shit out of them when arena shooters were pretty much the only game in town.

CRAPCUNTS shooters have characters and abilities that, and I'm going to put quotes around this "capture the imagination," in that people might spend time outside the game thinking about skill usages and skill combinations. This applies to ASSFAGGOTS themselves as well, the more headspace that a game can occupy out of the game the better currently, because the market is absolutely flooded with games and you could play any of them, so why play this one in particular?

CRAPCUNTS entice casuals more because they have a strictly delineated path for success or failure based on their role.

CRAPCUNTS entice casuals more because they're team based and thus there's a disambiguation of win/loss conditions. Did you lose because you suck? In a fighting game you only have yourself to blame (outside of servers or what character you picked/they picked) but in a TEAM GAME you can mentally put the blame on your teammates. There's a diffusion of personal responsibility. This also applies to ASSFAGGOTS. When you hide the reason behind dying behind a cooldown, on a character, on a team, well, you didn't counterpick, you didn't counterplay, etc, it moves the loss away from you personally and thus makes it less painful overall.

CRAPCUNTS also feature some sort of grind system that encourages people to play more than just the occasional match. Grind systems have become more important to lock players into a game because of the massive number of games that are competing for your time at any given second.

You'll find that the two new CRAPCUNTS people are playing right now (Overwatch, Paladins) both feature heavily rounded edges. Game times are shorter, respawn timers are not wave-based thus reducing the time you spend spectating other players, maps are smaller and more chokepoint oriented, mechanics exist where you either spawn closer to the battle or you travel to the battle faster (horses in Paladins) instead of having to do the walk of shame all the way over only to get instagibbed again.

With a CRAPCUNTS the skill floor and skill ceiling depend entirely on the character and thus can be altered by altering the character, and most players will not experience what they experience in arena shooters in the form of some immortal godking descending from his golden throne in heaven to rain glorious gilded rockets down upon your poor peasant head.

tl;dr: people can think about characters, grind levels, they have a capped skill ceiling and all the pointy bits removed

No one is to casual for assfaggots they're the easiest genre to get into across all platforms. If anything avoiding them is the smartest thing you can do since they suck thousands of hours out of your life and give you very little. The good games and beautiful plays are their but the cost is a lot of frustration and dealing with more idiots on a daily basis then you'd find in any other genre. Fact is most players only continue to play them is the sunk cost of time they've already invested. I know this is likely a bait post but its good to air these things so people don't make the mistake and think they're worthy of your time.

That said I do enjoy the occasional game of SMITE because mythology is neat. But I'm just trying to justify my useless skill set.

Why does OP always suck so much dick? These are questions we'll just never know the answers for.

Yeah if you play the garbagest of the garbage ASSFAGGOTS that make you play to unlock heroes.
The truth is 90% of the retards that talk shit about ASSFAGGOTS either have never played it or fell for the garbage ones like you have. In fact it's true about all the games, chances are someone talking shit about a game on Holla Forums has never played the game.
At the end of the day playing ASSFAGGOTS is no bigger sin than buying shit like Fallout 4 or Skyrim, and we all know how many of you fell for that.

Easier than phone games for bored moms? Easier than casual AAA "cinematic experience" games for console peasantry? What a nice strawman you made there. No matter how many times you repeat this bullshit, it will never stop being the most retarded argument against assfaggots out there.

I guess to most people ASSFAGGOTS means the casual LeL clone ASSFAGGOTS. To me it means dota which is nowhere near easy or simple.

I won't defend the genre, but you're a dummy.

Overwatch isn't an ASSFAGGOTS. Did you ever even play Aeon of Strife? It's not a team based FPS.

Friendly reminder that CRAPCUNTS is a meme term that doesn't do shit for describing the games people apply the label to.

ASSFAGGOTS works because it references one of the maps that lay the basis for DOTA and DOTA clones (fuck using "MOBA" too, that was a marketing term made by Riot so that they would identify their game as anything other than "a DOTA clone"). But CRAPCUNTS is too wide of a term that even arena shooters can fit into that classification. Hell, even Splatoon can be a CRAPCUNTS, and that game draws little to no polarized discussion on Holla Forums, compared to Memewatch.

On everything else I agree that the DOTA clone fad popularized greatly because it becomes too much of a timesink that forces people to keep having a dedication to the game they chose, sort of like a buyer's remorse effect. But mostly because Vallve and Riot memed the esports fad so hard they made their games invulnerable to criticisim from their player's standpoint, in the sense that no one is allowed to talk shit about it's mechanics unless they can prove they spent 999999 hours in the game and memorized the mechanics ov every single character.

This isn't entirely incorrect. You can find something fun or not fun and criticize it that way, but unless you play the game at a high level, you really have no place commenting on it at a technical level. Games simply aren't balanced around low skill players nor should they be.

I guess I didn't word it correctly. I meant that most of the dedicated players will say that you need to have a "esports-level" knowledge of the game in order to be able to criticize it and even then they will dismiss the criticism because they are THAT autistic I agree that you need to be familiar with the mechanics, but in this case having experience with RTS games should be enough.

I was curious to see how many people would just attack irreverent factors of the post. Unlocking characters has little to do with anything outside the developer pockets considering even most of your players with thousands of hours are awful at the game. Its a always changing skinner box that changes the colors of the lights so you feel like you're doing something productive with your time. The skill has always been in adapting to changes more then anything else, doesn't matter the game. In fact most players who talk positive about assfaggots don't even play with a team, they just soloQ and pretend they're better then the rest so they don't even get to experience what is positive about the genres. But they still have thousands of hours invested, if they walk away now it would be admitting it was a waste. Everyone I know that still plays DotA/LoL regularly hates the fucking thing but play out of habit. Except HoN players for whatever reason, they don't give a fuck.

Because we're totally talking about moms and not the primary demographic of teen to adult males right? Their is a reason they're the most dominate games in youth, easy entry and illusion of skill regardless of how shit they actually are. Player feedback is "my team is shit/this is unbalance" and the train of thought never ends. At least with the original DotA you had to actually get to know people to get decent games but the vast majority are just mindless soloQ shitters justifying their retarded cosmetics and waste of time. The games trick you into thinking you're doing something of value when the reality is most are just wasting thousand of hours doing fuck all but getting mad. This is why assfaggots is the dominate genre of today and every Tom Dick and Harry play at least one.

If you play at a competitive level and actually do the work to build a tournament ready team then nothing I said applies. For that I apologize for misleading as you can build real practical skills that can help you in the rest of your life but you know damn well the average player doesn't do this and is better off investing those hours into something else. Like playing Go, a game that won't be obsolete in a decade :^)

Instead of getting permanent rewards slowly like in an MMO, you gain temporary rewards very rapidly.
It's all about getting gold and becoming stronger, which is why almost no one likes to play support.
The rewards become more meaningful than mere numbers in the context of becoming stronger than the enemy team.
The genre usually also provides the choice of different playstyles that reward you the way you like.
You can be a lategame carry and gain great rewards after long investments.
You can be a ganker and reap your rewards early and often.
You can become immediately stronger, like dealing more damage and being able to deal more, or be rewarded with great potential power, like being able to turn the tides by using your strongest ability twice.

I love it when meme terms get used wrong, proving how shit they are.

Doesn't that mean literally is a shit because literally never gets used right?

It's not a meme term, literally is a word that can be used right. From day one people have been using ASSFAGGOTS wrong.

Fair enough, but I don't see which term we should use instead.
MOBA or ARTS aren't even close to describing what the genre is about.

Because they're fun. match lasts around 1 hour, so perfect timekiller during work/university break.
Deep lore, high skill ceiling, Well defined characters with personalities. many other reasons.

Because casuals are the primary audience of video games. We've gone over this hundreds of times.

Lore that isn't expanded by the gameplay and is only fleshed out through what are just overdone wikipedia articles on each character, and lore they feel the need to arbitrarily change whenever.
Lorefags are a mistake

Yup, its one of the main factors that made shit like FNAF and undertale so cancerous

I wonder, is there a difference between lore and worldbuilding or are the terms interchangeable?

gameplay
It's the perfect casual magnet.

All world building is lore but not all lore is world building? One could argue that lore is more specific

character interactions are well done in dota, idk about other games. for example item pickups can trigger things, Rubick has "i miss u daddy" moment when he picks up Aghanims sceptre.

Actually most people play after they got home from work and ate/showered/worked out/did other normalfag shit.
When you have a full time job you have usually only 1 or 2 hours in the evening before you have to go sleep to be able to work again the next day.
I've been there, it is literally hell.

Free, easy, people are told to like it.

Why would they like something merely because they were told to?

There are numerous reasons why arena shooters are in the state they're in, but there are 3 dominant reasons that feed into each other that collectively come together to form a big issue that leads to a lack of new blood coming in and generally stagnant communities.

First off, there hasn't been any new releases in the past 10 years that have had anything close to resembling a large budget. These games have largely been labors of love by small-time, typically independent devs and studios. They have had very, very little marketing overall. Additionally, they don't seek to appeal to any audiences apart from people who already regularly play arena shooters in the first place. As a result, very few people even know about most arena shooter releases. Hell, 95% of the people on Holla Forums who know about Xonotic only know about it because of the thread hanging around. As a result of the lack of new players, you have…

2: What there is of the arena shooter community is a fairly small group of veterans. With the exception of Reflex, which due to a steam release has been able to drag in more new players than usually expected of an arena shooter, the vast majority of the community is composed of veterans who have sunk one year MINIMUM of time into the game or the genre. Granted, everyone goes through "gitgud" at different rates, so someone who has been playing for 2 years might not even be that great if he hasn't been properly practicing, so there are still opportunities for new players to succeed and surpass others provided they get themselves firmly planted in the game. However, that's not likely to happen because

3: Even small differences in skill can lead to large disparities in score. Arena shooters, as a general rule, are fairly snowbally. If someone manages to get a kill on their opponent in a duel, there's a large shift in momentum. When they start controlling the pickups and consistently have more stack, they can keep getting aggressive and getting kills. This can lead to large score disparities even between relatively even players. Two players in a similar skill bracket could win with a difference of 2 frags one game, and 10 the next. Combine that with the fact that it's possible to be better than an opponent in multiple different areas at once (even something as simple as movement around the map can be "outplayed"), and you have people who might not be that much better than someone else end up winning or losing by a surprising margin. Given that new players have very little to choose from in terms of dueling partners a lot of the time (as there are very few new players in general), it's easy for someone to get discouraged when they lose -13 to someone on their first game and not want to continue with the genre. People in general just don't like being stomped, and the fact that they know that the community they're going into is full of veterans doesn't really help matters either.

As a result of all of this, devs larger than an indie studio won't want to make an arena shooter, which leads to a lack of new players, which means the community is going to be composed mostly of veterans who are going to crush new players with relative ease, which isn't going to be attractive for new players who want to get into the genre, and they wouldn't be too wrong in presuming they're going to get stomped because stomps can come from even small skill differences in between two players. As a result, you have very few new players who even are aware of recent arena shooter releases, and fewer who would want to play these arena shooters, and devs who won't want to make any remotely big releases because there's too much risk because the community for arena shooters is small and there's not as much of a guarantee they'll make a profit as they would from doing a more mainstream genre. It all just feeds into each other, and there are still more (albeit smaller) reasons why the genre is like it is. The best bet for the genre nowadays comes from Diabotical trying to catch a bigger crowd than just "people who already play arena shooters". Alternatively, Quake Champions, since it doesn't seem like it's gone full Overwatch yet. Then again, >Bethesda.

Easy mode team-based multiplayer games. Ninety percent of the time fuckall happens, so they're the perfect means for
1) Letting people become famous e-celebs by using mad bants, tits and inter-channels drama
2) Giving them something mindless to do in their spare time
3) Making them feel important thanks to the skins and awful reward systems.

Except Undertale has all its lore in-game, not on some official website. Way to miss my fucking point.

That's not enough, though, usually the generic triggered voice lines are made after the lore is made by some writer on some official lore guide or something. Why not introduce the lore IN THE GAME TOTALLY?

So does this actually mean that ASSFAGGOTS is easier than shooters (even Cowadoody)?

Any long time FPS veteran can literally wipe the floor against a group of even average players. It's similar to playing fighting games, you can't even begin to figure out how they beat you. So then the entire problem is finding people near your own skill level so you can challenge yourself and grow and not hit this brick wall of apparent invicibility.

ASSFAGGOTS and their spin offs mitigate differences between skill levels so that a good player can still do really well, but not so much so the opponents feel like they are literally powerless to stop them.

Talking genres, yes. Talking specifically CoD, no.
A good shooter gives you a variety of weapons and power ups that you have to know how to use in the appropriate situation. Just look at the flak cannon and its two firing modes. A bad shooter encourages sniper-camping and point-click gunplay. It's the point-click gunplay games that are as bad as ASSFAGGOTS. They share in common an emphasis on knowing what's the right thing to do, your opponents path etc rather than execution, to the point someone who knows what they're doing can compete with people even at a 'skill' level who don't know what they're doing. Main difference is in shooters reactions are still everything, while in ASSFAGGOTS your ability to farm and not feed is everything.

The difference is all in execution. In ASSFAGGOTS it is very easy to execute what you want to do, the burden of evasion relying almost entirely on your opponent, while in a shooter all the burden lies on your own competence. I mean, in a shooter without aim assist and shit like that.

how are things in brazil?

I find it funny how Holla Forums flips a tit over roguelike being used to describe games which aren't turn-based tilesets (by accounts a pretty minor aspect of the genre) but will still throw around terms like assfaggots for games which don't have the pretty much genre-defining aspects like levelling systems and lane creeps.

Philippines actually. What's the difference anyway besides the druggie-slaying president?

FUCK
I PLAY A SHITTA ASSFAGGOT AND I KNOW IT
BUT YOU KNOW WHAT THE CANCERS DID
THEY HAD LATAM SERVERS AND US SERVERS SPLIT WHICH MADE QUEUES LESS OF A SHITSHOW
THEN LIKE A YEAR LATER THEY FUCKING COMBINED THEM
SO NOW EVERY FUCKING GAME ISN HUEHJUEHEU POR QUE HABLA XD SHIT IM SO FUCKING MAD
WHY DO I PLAY THIS CANCER
I HAVE 3 MONTHS TO LIVE
BUILD A SERVER WALL (AND FUCKING KEEP IT IN PLACE)
MAKE THE HUEHUES PAY FOR IT
FUCK

Shocking

Yea, there really needs to be a proper name for it but it really is some offshoot of ASSFAGGOTS. Playing it you can just feel the same kind of cancer eminating from it

League was one of the first big F2P games when F2P took off.
That is literally the reason.

Hey user. I know most anons aren't willing to read a huge autistic wall of text but that was actually a really good explanation.

Plays like one tho, at least according to my friends who always play OW and Dota. Probably this is the reason why you see a lot of people who wouldn't touch a regular shooter with a 10ft pole suddenly play OW.

i wonder how things would play out if a bigshot company made such an arena shooter and marketed the hell out of it. if it managed to attract a huge chunk of players it would likely have a much smoother learning/skill curve for the newcomers.
the thing is, characters play a big part in the marketing. and sure quake and UT might give you characters to choose from but it doesnt have an effect on the gameplay, other than tits n ass its hard to market that kind of thing. when they stand out in game they stand out outside of the game.

why are we talking about overdog in a thread about aos clones?

I personally feel like it's a PvP equivalent to MMO raiding - These games usually last a long time and are a player-team effort to take down another force. It feels good to bring down the enemy team after fighting and struggling for a long time, a sense of catharsis from bringing down their final structure and winning, and getting an upper hand gives you a sense of power when you're a terrifying, overleveled force to the other team. Well played and fun games in ASSFAGGOTS require coordination and a good composition in your team. Speaking of composition, a team is like a recipe and the characters are the flavors - some flavors work together very well to taste incredibly good while other tastes are awful together. With a huge character roster many people can discuss, argue, and work with whatever team composition they want to try to see if they can bring out one of these intense "flavors" that some others don't believe exists, or haven't even tried yet. This genre of games can actually be quite entertaining with a group of friends who know what they're doing because of the team effort and strategy needed to do well.

Too bad everyone who plays them are either terrible at the game or are fucking cunts who you never want to speak to, let alone have on your team.

I'd say they're two entirely different genres with entirely different skillsets, but ASSFAGGOTS are easy as shit compared to your average shooter since the former just requires you to have good team building and not being a slowpoke while the latter at least needs you to hone down your aim and not have a shit computer/connection.

Hey bud, I heard Valve's giving out 15 million buckaroos for being the best Dota team. Why don't you do your easy ass team building and win it?

The amount of retards trying to sound smart without having a single clue about ASSFAGGOTS is just hilarious. I fell for ASSFAGGOTS shit and quit but at least I know why the games are shit, half of you retards are just throwing shit outta your ass to see what sticks.

Dota 2 is easy to get into and you don't have to level a character to get better at the game you only have to not fuck up

it's part of why I still like platformers as I get older but am starting to hate RPGs

You're more or less describing Quake Champions, or what Quake Champions should/is probably going to be. The "champions with abilities" mechanic doesn't seem to be too bad thus far, with the exception of one champion having lower health and a different movement system. It's more or less just one ability of your choice tacked on, for the most part. There'll also be the option to just turn them off for your custom games/servers, but apparently it won't be the officially supported mode, which is a shame. And then among other problems…

With Diabotical you have to pray that it'll actually get people to play it, and with Quake Champions you have to pray that it'll not suck. Either way, 2017 is probably going to be the make-it-or-break-it year for the genre, one way or the other.

My ASSFAGGOT friends all are into watching e-sport teams and ASSFAGGOT personalities online. They pay attention to tournaments and probably watch other people play the game as much as play it themselves.

Personally I think it's the 'sport' aspect of it that draws people in. Sorta how normalfags all seem to love watching footvall, hokey, baseball, etc. It probably fires up the same emotions of participating in something bigger.

nigga half of all games that come every year are game of the year
shit thread, and you woke up the ASSFAGGOTS and CRAPCUNTS redditors

Because it lets braindead retards think they're tacticool and intelligent, quick thinkers without actually doing anything other than memorize items.

Overwatch isn't assfaggots, it's team shooter.

In case of actual moba, I don't know. I played Dota 2 for 15 minutes and was already bored, how people can sink thousands of hours into it I don't understand.

Except if you only want to kill a couple of minutes. Plus you don't know how long the match could last. Could be 15 minutes, could be 90 minutes. Thanks to rankings, you absolutely cannot do anything else during this time period. You have to clear out your schedule.

A good time killer can be paused or cancelled with no consequence. The opposite of this is a time sink, in which you are required to put in time even to avoid negative consequences. (The classic example is WoW.) I consider ASSFAGGOTS closer to time sink than time killer.

Yeah, maybe something that highlights how crappy it is while also reflecting on how it's played exclusively by tryhard cunts.

The game isn't about farming your way to power and snowball the other team in a final swoop. There are no creeps, no jungle, no towers, no base to attack and destroy or towers.
It plays completely different than a MOBA, your friends are retarded. Recycle them and get brand ones next time.

It's a class-based shooter. Or hero shooter if you prefer. That describes the game accurately with no memetic required, much like ASSFAGGOTS described the gameplay and origins of those games as well.

You can try to force your meme name all you want, it still sucks and will never catch on.
It's a forced term you made up with the skill of a kindergartner, it doesn't describe anything accurately to the point you could apply it to fighting games or even Mario Kart.

In FFA, sure. In duels or TDM, it's about keeping track of your opponent and what they have and taking engagements when it's favorable to you.

MOBAs attract for 2 main reasons:

1)Extremly high learning curve, you are still progressing even after thousands of hours.

2)Unlike RTS, where decision making start from the first moment to the last, in MOBA you only make important decisions during short windows of time (0.1 - 1 sec), but you make them crazy fast, wich give a very dynamic feel.

Here is a typycal 0.1s decision making in a MOBA

Each decision is 2 dimensional (WHAT to use and WHERE/HOW to use it) wich make them a lot more complex than classic RTS decision, and you have 10-30 of those time windows where shit hit the fan and you have to make this kind of ultra fast decisions.

From my point of view MOBAs are reflex strategy game.

So that is also why some people find MOBAs boring, a 30 min game only contain 10-30 windows of 0.1-1sec interesting plays.

You're talking about World Championship level.
And that means guys who do this shit for a living.
The usual player (read: 98% of the playerbase) never reaches that level because:
a) Some got jobs
b) Most play other stuff
c) Very few people are that autistic

The vast majority of ASSFAGGOTS is decided between teh 15 minute mark and the 20 minute mark. You know, that huge team fight that happens, decides who takes the first tower and gets a massive gold advantage over the other team.
You're looking at exactly ONE window of oportunity there, with maybe a second one if the fight goes long enough.
Yeah, sometimes people make comebacks, that's what, less than a third of the matches you play? And that raises it up to THREE possible window of oportunities.

I won't say that there aren't other moments where you have "interesting" fights where such decision making is vital to win. But those rarely influence the outcome of the match all that much. Plenty of people have experienced the "I kill 50 people in a match and still lose, why?"
Because what you do matters jack shit if you can't capitalize on it.
Your whole team getting together, killing the other team entirely and taking a tower or two matters. The advantage you get is not just massive by itself, it benefits the whole team.
You killing the same guy over and over again benefits you and leaves your team in the gutter.

The biggest irony about ASSFAGGOTS is that they're a genre were teamplay is the one thing that mostly decides a match yet they always have a playerbase that abhorrs teamplay and actively thinks they should be able to win matches by themselves.

Because it's instant gratification for casuals and characters for tumblredditards to eat up and then draw OCDNS on their deviantart.

I don't think the RTS comparison is entirely fair but in this case it's useful
So ASSFAGGOTS are not as complex as RTS games but they still involve tactics and strategy
They big advantage ASSFAGGOTS have is that they are easy to learn even though the actual amount of stuff there is to learn is massive almost overwhelming but it's always obvious what the next step and what you need to improve whereas with rts it can be hard to figure out what you are doing wrong and how you need to improve
I think this is by far the biggest factor that killed rts it takes a lot of time and concentrated effort to learn RTS games
Whereas with ASSFAGGOTS you can improve a lot simply by playing.

What is Doom?

ASSFAGGOTS is popular because it's lowest-common-denominator approved gameplay. You click a few buttons, believe yourself to have skill and if you lose the match it was the fault of everyone else on your team.

Is there suddenly some kind of rivalry between arena shooters and DOTA/Overwatch players?

There are loads of scrubs in Xonotic, but those scrubs know how to use the weapons and at least know where items are on a map. That alone will squash a new player who is figuring out weapons and the map as they go.

There's also a serious case of instagib and hook mode flooding arena shooters where you just need to shoot fast and without regard for anything else, so there are also loads of scrubs who are bad with the weapons except sniper, but also kind of know what to do on a map.

This might vary between arena shooters. It doesn't sound so autistic to learn a map and where points of interest are on it, and the weapons in which situations they're best for. What might be considered autistic is training whatever jumping, but it'd involve a mode a lot like a race/time trial game.

Relevant: learntocounter.com/why-dota-sucks-13/

Only if you believe the jews who constantly try to D&C the board by artificially instigating shit between them.

I liked Dota 2 for the longer games where level advantages got thrown out the window and it all came down to what items you bought and how your team chose to advance. Most people usuall play them because they want to feel good about how good they are when in reality they chose the easiest approach they could. For LoL, it's much of the same, but much simpler and more widely accepted as a result. It also doubles as a social game due to how popular it is, and coupled with being easy and having brain dead starting characters, it's easy to rope friends into playing with them.

I'm sorry, I can't take this shit seriously.

It's CRAPCUNTS, not ASSFAGGOTS, OP.