1 damage

In a game where the main character has 100 health, what would be the real life equivalent of taking 1 damage?

Is it permanent or will it come back? Probably a an extremely weak fever. Or falling and scraping your knee.

Jumping off the stairs one step too high and making your ankles pop and feel sore/stiff for the rest of the day.

Aegis is a goddamn whore

A slap across the face.

I don't see how that's even remotely true.
But I can understand if you had to get something out of your system.

If the assumption is that HP can be represented by blood loss (since the HP bar is always shown as red), then losing 1% of your HP is roughly equivalent to an injury where you lose 50ml of blood.

papercut?

nah, that might be more like 3 dmg

this

Actually I'm going to revise my estimate to about 20ml.

Well fuck, I just started thinking a bit more about it, but one wouldn't really die from 100 papercuts now, would you?

In a game where the main character has 100 health, what would be the real life equivalent of picking up a Mega Health?

Meth

It depends entirely on the level of abstrction. For example, in DnD 4e, HP isn't jut physical health, it's also your luck, plot armor, morale, and so on.

Bath salts

Depends on who the protagonist is. Bayonetta and Counterstrike Guy both have 100 health but it still takes a lot more to kill Bayo.

You'd have to specify that the main character is supposed to be a regular human.

I am very tempted to approach a few different methods to compare these to real life. Let's take falling damage.
A fall from a 7-floor building is nearly always fatal. 7 floors equals about 30 m. 1% of 30 m is 0.3 m, 30 cm. So, falling 30 cm would be the equivalent of 1% damage.
But falling is boring. Next: Explosives. A fatal shock wave is about 10 psi or 69 kPa. The shock wave power depends on how large the room is you are standing in and your net explosive mass. 1% of 69 is 0.69 psi, and given you stand in a room which volume is 2x4x4=32 m^3, the net explosive mass needed to inflict 1% damage is equal to 3.84E-4 kg. If you convert this to, for example, dynamite, a stick of dynamite with the weight of give or take 0.3 g would have to go off in your 32 m^3 room in order to inflict 1% damage.

I am enjoying this

what in the absolute fuck is this? acceleration over 30cm is next to nothing, and a height over anything that would accelerate a human body to terminal velocity makes no difference.

Help me visualize that. Is that like a glass of blood?

Bumping your shoulder into a doorway as you walk through it because you're a retard. Stubbing your toe badly would be around 5 damage.

What exactly happens at 0 HP? Is it straight out death, or do you just get knocked out?

Depends where on the body they are no?

In most games, there's a threshold to fall damage so 1% never actually happens.

I'd say it's when you get incapacitated enough that you can't fight back anymore, so you're as good as dead.

It's when you suddenly remember that cringy thing you did as a kid

100 slaps would kill you?

100 papercuts would kill you?

how many games with a static HP allow for getting KOd or fainting? id say 0 health is death, or being "knocked out" to the point where you would die without intervention aka dying.

tfw no gf

20ml is about four teaspoons.

So as much blood loss a really bad nosebleed, it's be some actual significant damage, but not too much.

It also means that anything under the 1 damage threshold, like a scraped knee or a slap to the face, would do nothing. 0 damage, little to no blood drawn.

Try reading the thread

thanks for that. needed a refresher. wtf are you on about?

if the average lifespan of 1 human is 100 years then taking 1 damage would be like going through 1 year of pain

probably breaking your femur

Nice logic but

What about 1 year without knowing compassion, companions, or camaraderie?

then I've had over 20 of those already

It's a completely arbitrary unit.

You'd do better to ask "What does a mana or health potion taste like?"

Milk and salty coins

Health potions taste bitter and astringent, like strongly-flavoured herbs.
Mana potions are saccharine and chalky.

So… If I fall 30cm a hundread times I die? Does anyone want to test this math?

thats an easy question tbh.

yes. exactly.
health is bitter like medicine, mana is like an antacid. stamina related drinks are salty.

Is that a Swiss roll?

well… if you fell from 3000cm you probably would die. but there are important questions. is the person wearing a hat? what color is their shirt? etc.

Humans have regenerating health, so you'll have to take that into account

A really healthy man on a brink of suicide. All you need is a little push, a nudge…

So much science talk and he still forgot about acceleration.
For shaaaaaaaaaaaaaame.

What about 99dmg?

gutshot

Being a redpilled nintendrone

Taking 1 damage would be a superficial wound, like a bad paper cut or puncture of the skin.

Impalement or bisection of the body.

Getting cucked and having your WiiU taken away.

I would consider that as healing

I hope your calculation is based on the blood an average human can afford to lose before death and not the average blood volume total of a human.

getting poked with a thumbtack

Whatever you say buddy.

Dicking the wrong kind of toaster.

user, pain hurts.

See now I wanna know, how much is a 9mm shot on a non-vital target on a 100 health scale?

9 damage

Non-vital means you're "taking damage" from blood loss, but if you remove the blood loss you get get shot in "non-vital" areas until you run out of them.

You really can't translate any damage to your person into an HP value without dealing in absolutes.

1hp per mm? That's an easy-enough conversion factor.

It'd be cool if more games did account for wound accumulation and bleeding when it came to getting shot. Or getting hurt in general, really but then you get really horrible mechanics to staunch it like shitty animations that don't reflect the locational damage like Far Cry or items just magically closing your wounds.

Reminds me of Half Life, the glock does 8 damage a shot but with it's rapid fire you can take out most enemies relatively quickly for it's firepower.

If you scrape your knee 99 more times you wont die.

Well, after a while, you would scrape down to bone.

A marrow infection WILL kill you.

But depending on the location and severity of the scrapes, you might lose a leg.

A bruise. What's the attack rate/DPS though?

I tripped on a stormgrate and ripped my knee open when I was a kid, I'd say it was about 44 damage. First I saw bone, then the walls of flesh, before it filled up with blood. Couldn't leave the house for 3 months while recovering.

What's the full caliber, pistol or rifle?

That is equivalent of taking a good "telling" (burn).

Losing 0.055 liters of blood. Do it 100 times and you will die from complete blood loss.

Was thinking pistol rather than rifle, 9x19mm parabellum. Like a Glock 17, Beretta M9 or a 9mm Luger.

On that note, how much damage would you estimate on a Colt M1911?

Alright, let's think about this.

Main characters are obviously average all around, so we're probably going with average human. If that's the case, I'm gonna have to go with a bruise, not some pussy ass bruise though but one that shows a little bit of extra colour. That's essentially the closest you can get, it's far from lethal on it's own yet clearly shows that there is some damage.

Problem is the fact that every single fucking attack in real life has a high chance of inflicting a shitty status effects, deep cuts inflict bleed and makes infections have a higher chance of hitting, bruises make you more prone to other status effects (and even more infections), loads of shit that lower you max hp, deal damage over time without you knowing or just outright fucking DOOM/DEATH status effects, it's counterbalanced by people having innate health regen or a chance of self-curing quite a few chunk of the statuses.

Real life is a complex as hell game if we go the RPG route, and the 100 health thing would most likely make things inaccurate as fuck but this is the closest I can get to a sufficient idea on how it would work.

cant the human body only lose a gallon of blood without dying, so you would have something like .01(3.74) L= 37ml

Waking up in the morning.

If you die after losing a gallon of blood then yeah, 37 mL instead.

What's the armor value and can you define a non-vital target? Because I'd interpret that like you need a new hat or something.

Dorf fort has fairly well done health (and most things)

What about ways to die that don't involve blood loss? Or severe damage where no blood exits your body, like ruptured organs, liver damage, smoking, cancer in general, etc?

Well, blood loss is the most quantifiable measure of the human life, so it's the best answer to OP.

Also, we talking hollowpoint, silver on werewolves, some other memebullets, FMJ…?

We are in the realm of fantasy, right? So 1% of your health would be like stumbling grandly down the perfectly crafted fucking stone stairs, but not quite getting yourself castrated in the process. 1% is so little, that it leaves change no other option, but to fucking kill you. One out of a hundred is not a fucking change, I graduated as the best stonefeeler in my academy. And I stonefeel that you are already dead kiddo. Your failures never stop, unless I stop them with my iron fucking boots, you twat.

Good point. FMJ on normal flesh, since I know hollow points would fuck up bodies hard.

for

By non-vital I mean non organs, and non major arteries. Like a shot through anywhere that doesn't cause severe irreparable damage.

See, that's already more serious then a graze.

Define irreparable. In a low magic setting that could mean your character being down recuperating for several months, in dnd or the like that's related on your available heals since even death is "repairable" if you have the levels and reagents to cast it. A shadowrun/futuristic setting would could end up with the victim chromed or equipped with vat grown replacements.

I've seen weirder shit but let's say Albion for a specific vidya example.

What's the metal and how does it relate to that normal flesh and the clothes over said flesh? I know it's silly but we're not /k/ here, and I'm giving you a taste of that rulespaining faggotry that served me well over the years in pnp.

What would be the real life equivalent of having health over your max hp (ie 200/100 hp)?

Wearing armor.

Tiger blood.

Then what would be the real life equivalent of wearing armor and having health over your max hp?

Wearing more armor

Even more tiger blood.

I honestly can't think of an eloquent way to handle damage+bleeding that's actually fun for the player and isn't just "shot deals X damage + Y every second in bleeding until staunched" which is so boring and overdone.

have you got more dorf related webms?
Aslo

Hit Points don't traditionally represent damage taken. In the original context they were employed in, they were an abstraction representing how hard it is to kill you. For a Level 1 character with 10HP, getting smashed by an ogre for 13 points of damage is being smashed. For a Level 10 character with 100HP, those 13 points of damage represent narrowly dodging past and taking a slight bruise.

That said, as the numbers decrease, the influence becomes similar. If the Level 1 character has max HP of 10 and takes 9 damage from a sword blow, he takes a severe gash across the body, but he's still alive and able to fight - it was not fatal. If a Level 10 character is reduced to 1 HP and receives 3 points of damage from a dagger, he just got stabbed in the kidney and is dying.

Didn't mean to sage. Here is an example of Korean-Mexican cuisine.

But it's by no means the only or even primary way to die. A shock wave can pop your organs and kill you without spilling a drop of blood.

The only reasonable way to handle the complexity of real life injury is to assign HP to each organ and then take some sort of weighted average.

Well you seem like a rela-table guy. So what the heck, there are only two: dorf1, and dorf2. Only true dorfs have more, sborry. BÖB

Then convert all damage into direct blood loss.

But the problem is that blood loss is a continuous problem. It's more like a status affliction than a damage method.

But the average human would only have 4 HP realistically.

Elaborate.

Alright, think about it fundamentally.
How much could you take away from your body, and still be considered alive?
The brain is the only tool you need to survive. The rest of your body is just a complex factory to satisfy its needs.
So, quantifying the sum of the brain's resources can be considered HP. The bulk of these needs are oxygen, glucose/fat, amino acids, and electrolytes. Anything to upset these needs or to damage the brain itself can be considered HP loss.

It doesn't mean that 1 HP is X pints of blood you retards. Yes, a 0th level NPC in D&D usually has 4 HP, and your level 17 Fighter has 200+ HP. But a person is a person and has the same fucking physical qualities.

HP is abstract and represents factors like fatigue and wear, and shows how long until you can expect a lethal blow. Fighters have more HP than mages because they are well attuned to fighting and can parry and block and otherwise reduce the strain of combat on themselves. You don't stab a sleeping Fighter with a dagger 172 times to kill him, it takes one hit.

How much damage would a rough buttfuck inflict?

It would increase your HP.

In most games, it feels more accurate to say "at 0 health you're unable to continue doing anything" rather than "at 0 health you suddenly drop dead".
It's an abstraction of pain threshold plus physical deblitating injuries.
So losing one health is exactly what you'd think; a minor, painful cut, a minor fracture, maybe just a little blow to the head. Get 100 of any of those, and you'll either be bleeding out, unable to move due to pain, or unconscious, and thus incapacitated.

No, because your health regenerates too fast.

1% of you dies instantly.

If you weigh 150lbs, 1.5lbs dies.

Getting shot?

Alrighty let me correct myself

user is right though, it is the deceleration that kills, I was just lazy. Let's fix that. Given: m=70 kg, p*c*A=0.471, h=30 m, g=9.81 m/s^2. mgh=0.5v^2(m+pCAh) gives us a splat velocity of give or take 22.13 m/s. 1% of that equals 0.2213 m/s, and to reach this speed you need to fall about 2.496E-3 m, or about 2 mm.

So 1 damage on a 100 hitpoint scale is just a stubbed toe?

Am I just losing HP by simply walking, then?

Solid damage is not translatable to real life.
You want more of DF system.

The force of a fall at a given speed is a function of the mass and the deceleration.
Assuming a 70kg human falling at the speed of 0.2213 m/s coming to a full stop in one second, the force is roughly 15.5 newtons.
If we had a chart showing common actions involving force and their respective measures in newtons, we could convert those into HP on a 100-HP scale.

If you were a hemophiliac you would

something that would require minor medical attention like a bandage would probably by like a 1hp hit, a scrape or a bruise is shrugged off by even the biggest of weaklings

You will die long before you lose all your blood, though. From a quick Google search:

Breathing 12kL of chem trail poisoned atmosphere.

Ok let me try to work this out in a easy way that will probobly end up more complex the more I think about it.
hp = health point
In most games where hp or a health bar is a thing when the character's drops to zero it's closer to fainting then dying, usually they make a last moment quote which they couldn't do if they died.
Well then if a lack of HP causes you to faint instead of dying what would cause you to lose HP?
Simply anything over time that would tire you out, running and then being worn out for a moment would be losing 1 HP.
Your current state isn't your HP, your body could be exhausted then after like 5 minuets to catch it's breath it could be fine again, your HP relates to what it can possibly handle throughout before it faints which as the day would go on and on you get closer and closer to the threshold for.
Now there are things that come into standard health loss, for one damage which is the usual for health loss, when ever you're hit your body usually to lull the pain away pumps you will a few hormones that make you angered by the pain which extensively speeds up the body's processes, but after a while it goes in reverse to slow down causing the angry to turn into lull which becomes tiredness which is where the HP loss is.
Obviously taking a bigger hit would cause a larger gap in HP lost and could preemptively spark you fainting as a shock reaction to try and avoid feeling the pain.
Blood Loss would cause HP loss because when the body finds it's missing blood your heart is made aware of this and being producing it at a faster rate which accelerates tiredness over time.
Well what would with all this be 1/100HP?
Me writing this piece of shit was losing 1HP.

That sounds more like stamina

Your current stamina would take from your pool of HP, tapping out your current stamina would eat at your HP.

This is the only health system I can think of that would be somewhat realistic without straying into autism territory:
>When you enter bleed-out mode, you being quickly losing blood, represented by a blood meter. If you lose all the blood in the meter, you die. (The meter doesn't represent all your blood, only the amount of blood loss that will kill you without immediate treatment.)
So basically like pic related, but without the cool nano-augmentations and stuff.
Note that this doesn't take into account status effects like hypothermia, infection, disease, shock, etc.
Sorry for the autism.

So 1% of your life.
We can calculate how much damage someone has taken over their life after they have died by their disability-adjusted lifespan where you minus the time they've spent sick, injured or otherwise recovering from their total lifespan.
So something that deals 1 damage would be equivalent to something that takes 292 days for the average Joe to recover from assuming they live to be 80 years old or causes them to die 292 days before their expected lifespan. Naturally through this system taking 1 damage 100 times will mean you spend 0 years of your life alive and healthy. Being alive for 292 days also counts as taking 1 damage.
Tick tock mother fucker.

The verb that describes subtraction is subtract, you illiterate little shit.

It would inflict poison status

tfw reading shitposts containing payed instead of paid.

jokes on you im killing myself tomorrow

Why not just drink yourself to death in a slow, protracted, and indirect suicide that your family will see coming for years?

Since you know your shit, how much does a 100 gram of TNT produce damage? Given the available values are: splash damage and splash radius

I am curios about this since the Doom 1 rocket damage is 128 and it's radius is 128 too. I have 2 PDF's related to TNT stuff but I cannot figure out all those maths.

What injury (can be anything, disease, wound, internal) would generally take the longest to recover from, and what injury or hit, would take the fastest to recover from in terms of actual damage?

Then you might make an actual scale of what would take 1 HP
But this only works if recovery counts in this situation; we're humans and we have a certain healing factor, so I assume recovery has a role here.

The fundamental problem with OP's question OP is that health damage does not have a maximum and minimum threshold for minor damage where past a certain point certain things won't hurt you anymore then it already has and merely aggravates you by pissing you off.

1 damage that can actually kill you after it hits you enough times is, fundamentally, an impossible anomaly. The one time it might be realistic is purely by accident like Vice City where it looks like Tommy dies from tripping over when he's taking a tiny amount of falling damage.

Right, both healing and bleeding make the idea of "1 damage" too simple to really work. The closest thing would be a game where you automatically heal after every battle, so 1 HP loss only applies for the duration of the battle itself.

Getting the index finger unexpectedly in your ass up to the first joint followed by a quick and harsh tug upwards towards your tailbone by the finger while it's in there, all without lubricant of any sort of course, while you where relaxing in bed during what was suppose to be cuddles with a loved one.

I hope this helps you.

Too many factors contribute to any concept of real life hitpoints' (RLHP) non-linearity for a meaningful answer. Even if we were to reduce real life damage (RLD) to purely the kinetic separation/destruction of cells, the number of RLHP you would lose could be a question of cellular protein manufacturing rates, cellular division rates, coagulation rates, immune system responses, etc, which of these being relevant to the wound inflicted then also being reliant on the dimensions of the object, its orientation, its trajectory (also not necessarily linear), impact site, temperature, material, etc. Many overlapping stages of RLHP lost. Hence, while the already mentioned example of a paper cut won't kill you if inflicted 100 times, since we're talking essentially about creating two cellular faces that require only protein/limited cell regeneration, if the force of 100 paper cuts were inflicted on the same site simultaneously or in short enough succession, it could well be lethal depending on what mechanisms of the body's function it disrupts.

In Jagged Alliance 2 you could have a merc throw another merc an item
If he successfully catches it he gets it into his inventory/free hand, but if he fails I think he gets hurt for one point of damage. Also if a high health merc is hurt for only a few HPs he actually won't be bleeding out.

The total health doesn't tend to be 100 but I think it can get to that point.

TL;DR fumbling to take a mag and catching it with your face will deal you 1 point of damage.

You need a damage threshold for fall damage, with variations based on the build and skills of the person. Unless something fractures, you really aren't taking damage. A fracture or a broken bone would be nonlethal damage in any system.

Think of DayZ's system. Blood and health are separate values and they have sway over each other. When you lose blood, you lose health. When you eat and drink and take it easy for awhile, you slowly get blood back and your health rebounds. A headshot from a rifle causes blood loss, but the health loss of the headshot is almost always fatal. A fracture doesn't need to reduce blood, etc.

Wait lemme get something straight.

HP in real life is similar to those Health Bars in Def Jam NY, and (ab)using stamina would make you drain you HP.

So there is Default HP, Total HP, and Temporary HP
Default HP is the HP that you normally have
Total HP is your Max health at the moment with injuries
Temporary HP is how much HP you need to get knocked out
Big part of your stamina is used to restore your Total HP

Resting restores Stamina, but also restores some part of your HP in a small level, further resting and/or treatment restores your Total HP.

Enough damage in short period would drop your HP to knock you out, still, to actually kill you, they would need to reduce your Total HP to zero.

Being in a low Total Health position would render you unconscious or in a coma, making you rely on your stamina to get back up.

…It makes some sense for me.

thats right, because they are hit points. not health points. its a bit more abstract and vague.

If we think about what I posted here with Total Health and Temporary Health

To take 1 True damage would require you to be, like what, a somewhat strong punch in the face.

In the moment it would hurt something like 4 points, but after little time your face would be bruised, like taking 1 damage.

user.. People die if you kill them.

No they turn into skeletons I can see through your misinformation ruses mr bone boy

How did this thread get so many replies?

Should healthbars exist at all? Aren't they inherently flawed and take away from immersion?

Me? A skeleton? Don't be silly! Just us meatpeople here, user! haha

Because autism is fun.
Figured it was dead once I figured the force required for 1 HP of fall damage back here , but look where we are now.

A damn mosquito poking my arm.

Do they keep masturbating in the afterlife?

Reading this thread.

The thing with actual people is that we tend to reach a threshold for damage and not come back from it or end up being weaker for it.

So say you take 50 damage, are you at hospitalization levels? Will you recover 50 HP or will you only recover 25 because the other 25 is now non recoverable?

Autism causes 2 damage.

I doubt stubbing your toe 20 times will kill you.

One bee sting

Taking 1 damage would equal about a hundred thrusts into that robot pussy.

Aztecs raised chihuahuas for food. That's just plain Mexican cuisine.

He wandered in from /tg/. In traditional DnD rules a regular guy 4 HP, depending on their age and class and such. For example, a starting wizard in dnd at level 1 gets a full d4 for his starting health.

That said, a level 1 barbarian can start with 12, but bear in mind that even a level 1 dnd character has sort of a minor "hero" status to him.

A regular guy HAS 4 HP, rather…

coke bottle

Yes they should exist, the fact you have to sit there and think things through what 1HP of 100HP in damage is instead of noticing it immediately is generally a testament to how non-immersion breaking it is. Gameplay wise there is no flaw, you take whatever it takes in damage to die as per the rules of the game, that is your HP. If you die from one hit you have 1 HP and anything past that point is a matter of hitscan or NotHP on top of that like regenerating shields and damage reduction armor ratings.

KISS user, KISS.

The fuck? Immersion is far from the highest goal in any game. I'll flip my shit if I'm playing Ninja Gaiden and I can't tell if I'm about to die or not. I probably would be anyway, though.

10 cuts, if it hasn't already been said.

Hit Points as an abstraction come from gygax, so let's look back to the 1e AD&D DMG for a discussion of what hit point damage to a 10th level fighter (about 100hp?) looks like:

tl;dr hit point damage looks like anything you want because that shit's totally abstract. 1hp to someone with 4hp is a big ass wound, 1hp to someone with 100hp is usually not even a visible scratch, just a little used-up luck